• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

burgerdog

Professional mode with infinite ammo is a lot easier than normal without infinite ammo. I did CH3-5 with C- Warrior a couple of days ago and I thought going through pro alone would be impossible. However, that was not the case, and that is because when you get hit in solo mode your hp freezes right before you're about to die if your ai partner has initiated the healing action. There were so many instances in which me or C- Warrior would try to heal each other, but we'd just die even as we saw the healing animation go off while playing online. If you're playing coop and you aren't next to your partner when they get hit, they are going to die. Anyway, I was able to blaze through ch1 and ch2 with ease, ch2-3 was a cakewalk, I did die to the boss once, though. I may try to do pro mode without infinite ammo after I finish ch6 and see how that goes.

-Winnie-

Rash said:
Close range QTE? I never had to use one of those. I just kept shooting him (which keeps him at bay) until he does his spinning-twister attack. At that point, he just exposes his chest, and I shoot it. Rinse, repeat. It took a bunch of ammo, but I already had plenty of it saved up.

In any case, after creating such an epic climax for pretty much all of 6-3, it was kind of disappointing that the final boss had such a mediocre design. It didn't even match RE4's.

How long did you spend shooting him, though? I must have spent half an hour doing just shooting, but it didn't work.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Troidal said:
The Gears of War cover mechanic felt very tacked on last minute.
I don't mean to be rude, but you do realise how integrated that is into the level design, and enemies tactics the cover system is, right? You honestly think Capcom added a whole enemy type, that would go on to make up the central gameplay for most of Chapter 5 and some of Chapter 6 and the subsequent cover mechanic at the last second?

That seems... highly unlikely. Impossible even, given the level of polish that's shown throughout the general design.

Dai Kaiju

-Winnie- said:
How long did you spend shooting him, though? I must have spent half an hour doing just shooting, but it didn't work.

You're shooting him in the right spot, right? Glowy orange thing appears on his chest. Shoot it a bunch of times and then it moves to his back. Shoot that and it moves back to his chest. It took me quite a while personally. Assuming you have any, make sure you use magnums on his shiney spot. Also, make sure you have sheva on attack mode and not cover mode. That way, you can shoot him in the back while she's distracting him.

Troidal

Rez said:
I don't mean to be rude, but you do realise how integrated that is into the level design, and enemies tactics the cover system is, right? You honestly think Capcom added a whole enemy type, that would go on to make up the central gameplay for most of Chapter 5 and some of Chapter 6 and the subsequent cover mechanic at the last second?

That seems... highly unlikely. Impossible even, given the level of polish that's shown throughout the general design.

I honestly felt like they just added the whole shoot & take cover gameplay towards the later part of development. I'm not saying its absolutely sloppy but its not that great either. After all the run & gun in the earlier chapters, suddenly changing the way the game is played felt a bit disjointed. Maybe they were aiming for variety but couldn't help how it broke the flow a bit. But Capcom's known to do that in most of their games, and thankfully this one was at least manageable.

You seem to have liked it, but it just didn't do much for me. Just an honest opinion.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Troidal said:
I honestly felt like they just added the whole shoot & take cover gameplay towards the later part of development. I'm not saying its absolutely sloppy but its not that great either. After all the run & gun in the earlier chapters, suddenly changing the way the game is played felt a bit disjointed. Maybe they were aiming for variety but couldn't help how it broke the flow a bit. But Capcom's known to do that in most of their games, and thankfully this one was at least manageable.

You seem to have liked it, but it just didn't do much for me. Just an honest opinion.
Nah, I have nothing against you not liking it, I'm just saying that it would have been borderline impossible for them to just slap it in later on in the dev cycle, especially with the way it is implemented throughout the game (not just against gun enemies). It seems like something that they would have added early in the dev cycle as a response to the massive success of Gears of War.

Xevren

Ok im at a loss and I need some help from some of the vets for mercenary mode.
How in the name of fucking god do you kill the reapers with Chris when you have the shotty? I cant kill one in the mines for shit, they ALWAYS kill me. I've used multiple grenades, proximity mines...pretty much everything because my shotgun will not work. Its gotten to the point I kite him all over the place and just kill majini because my guns wont work. I can kill them with Sheva, but I prefer using a shotty and i'm having issues unlocking new costumes/characters since im still getting the hang of it. I know about the glowy spots, but it just seems like a shotty just wont do the job against them.

-Winnie-

Dai Kaiju said:
You're shooting him in the right spot, right? Glowy orange thing appears on his chest. Shoot it a bunch of times and then it moves to his back. Shoot that and it moves back to his chest. It took me quite a while personally. Assuming you have any, make sure you use magnums on his shiney spot. Also, make sure you have sheva on attack mode and not cover mode. That way, you can shoot him in the back while she's distracting him.

Yeah, I was using the shotgun and Sheva was in attack mode. I gave her a grenade launcher, a magnum, a rifle and machine gun, and I just use my shotgun and pistol. Still didn't work. :[
Pretty shitty boss to be honest. I really enjoyed the one against
normal Wesker
, though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Rez said:
Nah, I have nothing against you not liking it, I'm just saying that it would have been borderline impossible for them to just slap it in later on in the dev cycle, especially with the way it is implemented throughout the game (not just against gun enemies). It seems like something that they would have added early in the dev cycle as a response to the massive success of Gears of War.
I'm inclined to agree with you, especially since it shows up in chapter 2.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hmm, after playing this game some more, I can't help but feel that RE4 was a more impressive/enjoyable game. I had thought that if RE5 was just RE4 in HD with more bells and whistles, I would be happy, but it just seems that RE4 had some kind of charm that RE5 just lacks somehow. I can't really put my finger on it.

The boss fights were pretty underwhelming, I have to say.
Not being able to fight Ndesu the regular way was a bit of a bummer. A lot of the boss fights involved some kind of turret or device to use in order to take the boss down, which kinda spoiled the fun for me. I like being able to take 'em down with only the stuff I have at hand
. They don't really compare to the El Gigante encounters, Del Lago, U3, Salazar, or Verdugo.

I guess these are just nitpicks since I still enjoyed the hell out of this game. Perhaps I'm just dismayed at the potential this game could have had. Maybe I'm too demanding/critical?

MrOctober

Banned
Duck Amuck said:
Finally beat the shittiest chapter ever, 2-3, on Pro mode. 3-1's been okay so far with a lil' tactical finesse. I'm in the village and I'm putting up for the night. Pro mode should be done tomorrow, hopefully.

I should have 1000/1000 tomorrow in general I guess. After that I'll work on beating the game in under 2 hours without a co-op partner just to prove that I can.

Then after that I'll put RE5 down.

I wanna hear how that goes.

Aske

-Winnie- said:
Yeah, I was using the shotgun and Sheva was in attack mode. I gave her a grenade launcher, a magnum, a rifle and machine gun, and I just use my shotgun and pistol. Still didn't work. :[
Pretty shitty boss to be honest. I really enjoyed the one against
normal Wesker
, though.

I found it far easier to beat him with melee attacks. Circle him when his arm's up, run behind him when he attacks, nail his orange tumour with the knife or stun rod. Bullets work too, of course. That sends his tumour into his chest very quickly, where it can be more easily targeted with a firearm and is harder to slash.

The whole game really grew on me as I played, though I still feel very disconnected from the experience compared to previous games in the series. I don't know if it's the cutscenes or the way the shop is completely outside the game world; but I feel much less immersed in the experience of RE5. That's been the biggest surprise when playing the game, but it's more of an observation than a major criticism.

I like Sheva a lot more now I've gotten to know her over the course of the whole adventure, so that's a big plus. And though I feel that the game vastly inferior to RE4, both in terms of scope and creativity, it's still a very solid game with several real high points. Everything with
Jill
is gold, especially freeing her from enemy control. Great, atypical boss fight; as was the first part of the final
Wesker
confrontation. And the subterranean ruins were a real masterstroke in terms of level design. Far better than RE4's little underground section.

One addition I'd have really appreciated would have been seeing the final chapter set in Spencer's awesome mansion. I loved the diversity of environments in Code Veronica, and I'd have liked a little bit of traditional RE mansion in this installment; especially since it was missing from the last game too. It would also have been cool to see some zombies pop up near the end. That would have really tied all the stories together, and reinforced the shaky plot in a way that reading documents and computer files alone never really can. The things the developers could have done with the game if they'd added a few more chapters...

Best thing about the game is the Devil May Cry style upgrade system that carries through the difficulty settings. That was RE4's greatest flaw for me - lack of an extra difficulty level beyond Pro, and having to start upgrading at square 1 when I progressed from Normal to Pro. The sense of continuity inherent in the new system is so much better; especially given the addition of a harder Professional mode.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Baloonatic said:
A lot of people don't seem to realise that you can kill the last boss with a QTE.

yeah.

even then most people miss it that only Chris can initiate that QTE.

Acidote

One thing I'd really like RE5 to have is the option to repeat boss battles without having to make the whole damn chapter again.

Specially with the boss fight at
the end of 5-3, with Wesker and Jill. I really liked Jill animations once Wesker leaves, moving more like an animal than a person.

eso76

Pimpbaa said:
Arrrgg, I hate reapers so much! Instant deaths always suck in a game :/

Nah, they add to the tension. The game can get pretty intense when you know you have one of those enemies who can kill you in one hit after you and you need to heal or reload or open the inventory for whatever reason. In fact, while i would agree RE5 often lacks in the atmosphere department, it certainly doesn't lack tension.

Truant

This game is so frustrating to love.

The first few chapters are incredibly exciting. Then it just... ugh.

I was a lot less frustrated with Sheva than I thought I'd be, though.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sectus said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P2Np-Vn8Jw&fmt=22 - 123k solo mines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOxiqArZrnM&fmt=22 - 223k duo mines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnduYN4bzQY&fmt=22 - 251k duo public assembly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05MIWOhHWg4&fmt=22 - 414k duo public assembly

Those are the videos I've posted in the thread.

Thanks for posting those. Oh so you're FluffyQuack? I saw your Jill S rank run through in Public Assembly. I can't get an A rank with her for shit! But I noticed you used a sniper rifle. How did you get that? I don't have one in my inventory when I use Jill.

-Winnie-

Wow, Mercenaries is bloody addictive! So fun, but so time consuming.
Any tips for a beginner? I can't seem to get anything above a B. :/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
-Winnie- said:
One of the biggest problems when it comes to Mercs for beginners is usually running out of time, so make sure you get as many time bonuses as possible. Don't be afraid to, at least when you're still learning the ropes, just stop shooting for a little bit and run around and get some time bonuses.

Another good strategy is knowing where some good weapons are hidden on a map (like the rocket launchers on The Ship), it will really help with some of the boss characters.

But look, running through Mercs in solo mode and getting an A shouldn't be too much of a struggle if you take some time to just explore the map a bit and grab some time bonuses, really. As you get better, you can start working in some strategically placed combo-chain bonuses.

Random question to whoever might know: what's the boss character-type in the Ruins level in Mercs? I'm having a mental blank.

-Winnie-

Rez said:
One of the biggest problems when it comes to Mercs for beginners is usually running out of time, so make sure you get as many time bonuses as possible. Don't be afraid to, at least when you're still learning the ropes, just stop shooting for a little bit and run around and get some time bonuses.

Thanks. Is it a good idea to try and melee finish enemies for more time? I was trying to do that, but sometimes it's hard since one melee attack won't always finish an enemy off.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
-Winnie- said:
Thanks. Is it a good idea to try and melee finish enemies for more time? I was trying to do that, but sometimes it's hard since one melee attack won't always finish an enemy off.
At an extremely high level of play (which I'll probably never reach :lol) they become very important, but when you're just starting out don't put yourself in unnecessary danger in order to pull them off. Basically, just use them sensibly, like you would in the single player game. You'll still be able to get good ranks without worrying about them, put it that way.

Fantastical said:
Isn't it the giant Majini like in the Village?
Ah yeah, it is. What stumped me was me assuming that it would be a different enemy type. I think the fire-breathing Majini are Ruins exclusive though.

ShinAmano

So how much more difficult is Pro then Vet...I ran through Vet solo without too many problems. Also how do you
Get the third outfits...the 2nd ones suck
. Also I scoured the game for gems and treasures, but I am about 8-10 short based on boxes in the inventory screen...are there any really tricky to find?

Dyno

Honestly the more I play, the more I love this game. Is it perfect? For the sake of argument I'll say no. Does it have a strong sense of its own personal style? I think so.

Resident Evil is becoming that place were cutting edge graphics get married to to some kind of creepy carnival arcade, complete with all of the anacronysms it's picked up through the ages. RE is masterfully made to feel like its actually older than the video games themselves, as if the very first was some kind of wind-up shooting gallery. HD graphics have been recently added, but at its core the original cogs and springs are still hard at work.

Everything in RE is specifially designed to create tension. No part of the game is supposed to put you at ease or make you feel completely comfortable. The controls state this clearly: you can run or you can shoot, never both. I hope Capcom sticks to its guns on this because if they ever do away with it, the game will lose something unique and join a herd of other shooters.

The inventory also creates tension by limiting spaces and limiting quick access to all of your possessions. I love the vending machine collectability this time around however. It perfectly suits the above mentioned style. The incentive to upgrade all of your equipment is particularly strong with this game and the chapter lay-out makes each section like its own little adventure.

Joining the conversation above I think the cover system is a great addition to the shooting gallery. I like that its only present in certain places because its not a fundamental mechanic, like in Gears, merely another wacky diversion they throw at you to mix it up.

Just a really great, really different kind of game.

gantz85

Banned
Finished it in one run over online coop (after I got that working) with my friend and I thought it was excellent. My friend complained about how it paled compared to RE4 and I think RE4 was abit more quirky and was certainly meatier but RE5 is no slouch.

The 10-ish hours of campaign gameplay was packed with locale variety and it never got boring, although the latter stages were a little more generic high-tech and didn't have the same charm as RE4's island did. My friend and I had a fuckton of fun and we can't wait to have another go at it again. We're also addicted to Mercenaries mode :lol

- Controls are still a small issue despite adopting Gears' static control scheme. Needs to have shoot-while-moving.

- Needs extended command list for use outside of intense battle. I understand the four core commands but having an extended list for typical situations and needs can help those without headsets like myself. It also costs very little resource-wise to implement.

- Writing can improve, because this whole "partner" theme was pathetically done. RE doesn't have to take itself seriously, but as it stands right now, it's chillingly bad at times.

Lag issues are frustrating our Mercenaries' experience but we'll definitely be playing again during non-peak hours. As it stands, to me, it's one of the best games of the generation.

The cover thing didn't feel tacked on to me, it's only there when enemies have heavy-duty weaponry. It made sense to me. Just seems like something else to pointlessly complain about. Oh no, there's a couple of parts where you can take cover to avoid gunfire. Tacked on, crappy. I mean, is it really an issue? Really?

Honestly, if I think of the game as a Resident Evil game, by the end, it loses that feeling entirely. It's not creepy and it's not tense. However, if I think of it as a Biohazard game, it all seems to fit in my mind and seems to be a natural evolution of the game. It's odd.

eso76

-Winnie- said:

i found my rank going from B to A and S as soon as i started adopting the 'run around and get all the time bonuses FIRST, then do the killing' strategy.
I used to always run out of time or be forced to interrupt a combo to go looking for time bonuses, so it didn't really take a lot of strategy to come up with that solution, but anyway, it helps a lot.

Also, discarding weapons you don't think you'll be using right away is a good strategy; you'll probably run out of ammo a couple times, but you're good with grenades until you find more bullets.

Also, very important: you should arrange the items in your inventory so that you can combine ammo + weapon without even looking, with a simple combination (like Y, A down A right A). Reloading animations can be painfully slow.

brandonh83 said:
The cover thing didn't feel tacked on to me, it's only there when enemies have heavy-duty weaponry. It made sense to me. Just seems like something else to pointlessly complain about. Oh no, there's a couple of parts where you can take cover to avoid gunfire. Tacked on, crappy. I mean, is it really an issue? Really?

Exactly, it was handled very well in my opinion. Its not like the game changed drastically, all the enemies stay in front of you, no one is flanking you, making moves on your position. All the cover does is allow you to hide quickly when an enemy shoots, then you can pop out and shoot at them like normal. i think those sections allow for great sniping oppertunities. I never once felt it was tacked on or not functional.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Playing rogue, on Veteran.

Sheeva's AI is on and off, mostly good but yea it'll be better with a human being

as for the game. It gets better and better as you get further. Im enjoying it alot so far.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Playing rogue, on Veteran.

Sheeva's AI is on and off, mostly good but yea it'll be better with a human being

as for the game. It gets better and better as you get further. Im enjoying it alot so far.

I ran through it on veteran over the weekend solo as sheva w/ chris AI. Only had a couple spots where he gave me trouble (
the insect at the conveyor belts, dumbass died 3 times by just standing there and letting it skewer him, and he died once the 5-3 boss fight
). Of course he was armed with an unlimited ammo 357 S&W. Managed to beat it in 5hr 6min. Gotta trim those 6 mins off and get my unlimited ammo RPG next.

I have barely touched merc's mode, time to dive into that I think! So much content and yes I think the game does get better as it goes along. Chapters 4,5, and 6 all flow perfectly.
The mines into the caves to the lab
are just gorgeous areas with insane graphics.

USD

MiamiWesker said:
Doing an all treasure emblem run right now, I am not cheating, I am looking for them on my own. Holy crap some of these emblems, wtf :lol
I actually thought that all but maybe 5 of the emblems weren't too hard to find, if you were actively looking for them.

The Caves are pissing me off. How long do these awful puzzles last? Me and my partner were tired so we kept killing each other with the stupid lasers. I pretty much lost my mind running around that last room in 4-1.

eso76

Son of Godzilla said:
The Caves are pissing me off. How long do these awful puzzles last? Me and my partner were tired so we kept killing each other with the stupid lasers. I pretty much lost my mind running around that last room in 4-1.

takes 15 seconds to solve, really
Deflektor it ain't : )

Baker

Banned
USD said:
I actually thought that all but maybe 5 of the emblems weren't too hard to find, if you were actively looking for them.
Yeah, I haven't used a guide since probably grade school, but I had to bust one out here. I found 24 on my own so I didn't feel too bad.

There are at least 3-4 emblems you'll never find without a guide.

Son of Godzilla said:
There's a platform for the second player to stand on so they don't get hit by the lasers. But yeah, there's no thinking to the puzzle, just move the last one that isn't pointing in the right direction.

Baker

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
We got to the third stupid puzzle, he got trapped opening up the path somehow, then killed me while adjusting it. Boooring.
When he gets trapped,
adjust the outside one for him so he can get out
. It's easier than pre-planning it.

Davey Cakes

MiamiWesker said:
Doing an all treasure emblem run right now, I am not cheating, I am looking for them on my own. Holy crap some of these emblems, wtf :lol
I only have six of the emblems so far.

Finding them all is going to be a bitch.

anyone want to help me with the egg hack tonight? I tried to get someone friday and Saturday night. unfortunately no one could help. PSN=darkjedi187

nib95

Banned
Are there any posts or sites that have a loot of direct captures (screens) from the game? If someone could post them or a link to them I'd be grateful.

Especially interested in a screen of that location
where there are a tonne of bats flying in the distance and you're in that giant Aztec ruin.

After having finished RE5 I am pretty disappointed. I was fine with the controls. It didn’t take long to get used to them and they worked fine. Visually the game is fantastic. The story and characters just didn’t hold my interest at all compared to RE4. RE5 also is simplified and dumbed down from RE4.

The characters in RE4 had so much more personality than those in RE5. Saddler, Salazar, and the village chief were so over the top that they added a lot of fun to the game. Salazar had an interesting story behind his ancestry and Saddler seemed so dang evil. It tied his evilness to religious zealotry which made it more convincing. Even Luis and Ashley had real personalities and interesting dialog. I had a genuine interest in watching the cut scenes. The villains and heroes in RE5 seem so bland and stale to me – like they have almost no personality at all. I watched the RE5 cut scenes - hoping the characters or story would get interesting, but it never did.

The story in RE4 was engaging even if simple – rescue the kidnapped presidents daughter from a hostile territory. You’ve also become infected and must find a cure. RE5 is back to bare bone basics – get the bad guy or he’ll destroy all of humanity.

What happened to the merchant? I miss the merchant. I like being able to buy a bigger suitcase and how different items take up different amount of space. You could flip things around and try to maximize the amount of items you fit in the suitcase. RE5 has a simple one item = one space.

What happened to jewels that were more complicated than just selling them. In RE4, if you recovered a necklace clean it was worth a lot more money than if you recovered it dirty. There was also combining jewels to make them more valuable. You couldn’t be sure if you missed a jewel and should sell the crown with a missing piece or wait and see if you find it later on. In RE5, there is no difference in getting a jewel to getting gold.

RE4 had three puzzles I remember off the of my head and they took a little thought to solve. RE5 only has one puzzle and its beyond easy.

I think RE5 is still a good game, but its more of a game that is good to rent, have fun with a friend and return. In a years time you won’t even remember much about it nor have any interest in replaying it. Whereas RE4 is something to own and cherish and replay once in a while.

Top Bottom