• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Dyno

Leon S. Kennedy said:
I think RE5 is still a good game, but its more of a game that is good to rent, have fun with a friend and return. In a years time you won’t even remember much about it nor have any interest in replaying it. Whereas RE4 is something to own and cherish and replay once in a while.

What with the persistant inventory, large variety of weapon upgrades to purchase, modular chapter selection, playing Chris or Sheva, in Co-Op or AI, Mercenaries and the upcoming Versus Modes, to say nothing of the many interesting set piece battles, I think that RE5 has got the replayability angle locked down.

That's just me though.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Quick question on Lead Aspirin: Does anyone know if you have to be actually aiming at the head with a shotgun when you fire, or is it just if you get a critical and the head explodes?

Also, anyone have any decent pics of
BSAA Jill
?

Metroidvania said:
Quick question on Lead Aspirin: Does anyone know if you have to be actually aiming at the head with a shotgun when you fire, or is it just if you get a critical and the head explodes?

I think critical is acceptable as that's how I got it.

Dyno said:
What with the persistant inventory, large variety of weapon upgrades to purchase, modular chapter selection, playing Chris or Sheva, in Co-Op or AI, Mercenaries and the upcoming Versus Modes, to say nothing of the many interesting set piece battles, I think that RE5 has got the replayability angle locked down.

That's just me though.

The most replayable part of RE5 is without a doubt Mercenaries mode. Capcom has had so much time to refine the arcade shooter gameplay that it makes sense for it to be such a great asset in RE5. But the main game is hardly replayable. The only reason I'm going through it is for achievements and maybe to look at the environments one more time, but the story is a flatline and the challenge is minimal. I know people are making a deal out of the persistent inventory but there's something about it that feels like cheating to me. I'll probably go through pro mode but only because I'll have a full upgraded magnum with infinite ammo; definitely not the right way to play these modes...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
myDingling said:
The most replayable part of RE5 is without a doubt Mercenaries mode. Capcom has had so much time to refine the arcade shooter gameplay that it makes sense for it to be such a great asset in RE5. But the main game is hardly replayable. The only reason I'm going through it is for achievements and maybe to look at the environments one more time, but the story is a flatline and the challenge is minimal. I know people are making a deal out of the persistent inventory but there's something about it that feels like cheating to me. I'll probably go through pro mode but only because I'll have a full upgraded magnum with infinite ammo; definitely not the right way to play these modes...

I think they tried to balance it out so that you can play through Professional with infinite ammo and still find it to be a challenge of sorts (kinda like how Dante Must Die mode was difficult for a fully upgraded Dante). You die in almost always one hit, regardless of the armor you're wearing, and your partner has to be right next to you when you die to have time to revive you (or in the case of AI Sheva, never close enough because she'll not heal you in time even if you're standing right next to her).

Unfortunately, infinite ammo makes you so godly that even that level of difficulty makes it a merely a minor nuisance.

Baker

Banned
myDingling said:
Infinite ammo does make the game pretty damn easy, however, Pro is pretty much impossible without it. Well, at least 1-1. It kind of tones down after that.

Sectus

Metroidvania said:
BSAA Jill
?
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/Comp10021527.jpg - I got this which I posted probably 20 pages ago which is half-decent.

isamu said:
Thanks for posting those. Oh so you're FluffyQuack? I saw your
Jill
S rank run through in Public Assembly. I can't get an A rank with her for shit! But I noticed you used a sniper rifle. How did you get that? I don't have one in my inventory when I use
Jill
Yup yup, I'm the FluffyQuack. You're supposed to start with the rifle, sure you aren't playing with her BSAA outfit?

-Winnie- said:
Thanks. Is it a good idea to try and melee finish enemies for more time? I was trying to do that, but sometimes it's hard since one melee attack won't always finish an enemy off.
Unless you continously do the melee attacks (which isn't easy, and you need to use specific characters for that to be effective) you won't gain much time. Just be opportunistic, if you see an enemy on the ground and you're nearby, go and stomp him. Or if there's few enemies around and you have to wait, don't kill enemies too quickly and instead melee them until more enemies arrive.

Christopher said:
Does anyone remember when the game was first revealed Capcom said that it would have a lot to do with the heat of Africa as well? I would love to know how the game started and how it wound up to where it is today.

Here is a thread I made way back in 05 when the first info of this game came out, it included all the original previews.

http://www.biohaze.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39

929198_20050916_screen002.jpg

929198_20050721_screen003.jpg

Non steroid Chris!! I know that was CG, the game came really close to that.

Here are some pieces of the early previews:

The images in the trailer clip are meant to convey a sense of high temperature. In fact, heat is a central theme to the game, with Takeuchi suggesting that when it's particularly hot, you'll want to cool down in a cave.

In addition, Takeuchi emphasized he doesn't want RE5 to be too linear, where all that the user does is clear a stage, watch a cut-scene, and then follow instructions to go to the next stage.

Uhh, oops.

In addition, Takeuchi emphasized he doesn't want RE5 to be too linear, where all that the user does is clear a stage, watch a cut-scene, and then follow instructions to go to the next stage.

You can't have sandbox gameplay with co-op. It's a tradeoff you make as a developer.

MiamiWesker said:
Here is a thread I made way back in 05 when the first info of this game came out, it included all the original previews.

929198_20050916_screen002.jpg

929198_20050721_screen003.jpg

Non steroid Chris!! I know that was CG, the game came really close to that.

Here are some pieces of the early previews:

Uhh, oops.

I always thought if that change of concept had to do with the internal discussions, that Takeuchi mentioned some time ago.

Probably if was better they choose this way, that idea about the heat and open areas never click me.

Relaxed Muscle said:
I always thought if that change of concept had to do with the internal discussions, that Takeuchi mentioned some time ago.

Probably if was better they choose this way, that idea about the heat and open areas never click me.

I never cared for the heat idea. What I did like was in one of the earlier trailers it showed that when you went from a bright area to a dark one, you almost couldnt see it was so dark, it was as if you were looking at it through someones eyes and their eyes had yet to adjust to the change in light. I thought that would play a part in the game but it never did.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Moneyhats2k5 said:
You can't have sandbox gameplay with co-op. It's a tradeoff you make as a developer.

Sarcasm?

Metroidvania said:

I got lead aspirin by blowing up a barrel as someone was jumping, the blast blew off his head. :lol

Sectus

MiamiWesker said:

Wow, reading all of that is kinda interesting.

They had planned an online mode back in 2005? This was before they decided Sheva would be a coop partner for the entire game. I wonder if they had thoughts of a different coop mode back then or versus.

Takeuchi mentions they were considering to license another engine. You can see this in the strategy guide, it has a few small screenshots of what looks like a RE5 prototype in UE2 or UE3. I'm glad they decided to go with MT Framework. I think that's probably the most impressive engine this generation.

Unfortunately, there's quite a bit of bullshit marketing-esque talk. Like talking about the CG trailer and bragging about they spent time modelling individual hair strands and implying it's all ingame. Which is nonsense.

He mentions they planned for the game to run in 60 frames per second. I imagine they dropped that goal pretty quickly. PC version should be able to run at 60 FPS at least.

And darnit, this all reminds me when the CG trailer was first released and people were speculating who the main character is. It took ages before everybody finally agreed it's Chris.

Neiteio

I revisited Chapter 6 on an S-rank run last night, and I have to say it's in the running for favorite chapter from a gameplay standpoint. It thrives on the game's combat. The battles against the soldier Majini are pure fun, especially on a speed run with the infinite ammo L. Hawk. Whipping around cover to fire the magnum into a cluster of barrels, exploding a six-man squad and running to the next bit of cover before the smoke even settles is AWESOME. And unlike RE4's island, which while spooky at points always felt a bit of a chore on repeat playthroughs, this installation never gets stale.

It's hard for me to definitively pick a favorite chapter, much less favorite stage. Each feels like its own little adventure, and I like them all in their own way. For instance, I think I'm the only one who likes 2-3, which I replay frequently as a cool-down exercise between longer stints in other levels. I just think it's so satisfying to cut down a half-dozen biker Majini in a row with the turret, like a hot knife through butter, or to shoot out the driver of a bus and cause it to crash and burn with everyone aboard it.

Plus, the savannah's transition from sunset to twilight is glorious. Twilight is especially beautiful in RE5; it perfectly conveys the feeling of a warm summer night. And I like the battle with Ndesu, though I can understand how it's frustratingly tough on higher difficulties. Not much room to make mistakes there. All in all my least favorite boss, but a fun ending to the rail run nonetheless.

I'm not saying 2-3 is my favorite level -- it's NOT -- but I am saying I like each level enough that it's hard to pick a favorite. Anyone have a favorite chapter and/or stage? I also went through Chapter 4 again last night and that was very impressive, especially since the first time I'd gone through it in splitscreen and here I was seeing it in full screen for the first time. On an HDTV the ruins have a larger-than-life quality at points, and man are the tribals creepy. Creepiest enemies in the RE4-style games to date, I'd say, especially on higher difficulties.

QUESTION: Anyone know the name of the song that plays when you're fighting past the bulkheads in the lead-up to
Wesker
in 6-3? I love that song and want to listen to it while doing homework.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Frankly, I wish there were more night segments without light pollution. The starry night and moon glow looked so beautiful at the end of the truck ride as a contrast to the harsh sunlight of the first chapter.

Neiteio

GuardianE said:
Frankly, I wish there were more night segments. The starry night and moon glow looked so beautiful as a contrast to the harsh sunlight of the first chapter.
I'd like a DLC fourth filter that swaps out the harsh sun of the first couple chapters for a night sky, full moon and torchlight in the streets. I don't think anyone ever mentioned the fact it's day in the cutscenes, and it wouldn't be too farfetched for some people to be out and about and for Alpha Squad to secure the area past bedtime. I'm not sure what they'd do when they reach the sunset in the mountains past the mine, however.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Metroidvania said:

BSAA Jill
?

You just need a critical headshot. I'd try it earlier on though, I did it late in the game and it didn't count because the Majini grew a tentacle.

Neiteio

Neiteio said:
QUESTION: Anyone know the name of the song that plays when you're fighting past the bulkheads in the lead-up to
Wesker
in 6-3? I love that song and want to listen to it while doing homework.
Nevermind, I found it. This, along with the Mercenaries theme, are two of the best non-orchestral, non-Wind-of-Madness themes in the game. :D

{Mike}

Banned
How bullshit is Lead Aspirin? I waited for a majini to jump from a platform to another one in 5-3, got the headshot with sniper and blew his head - no trophy. Is it possible it only awards you for a headshot while the majini is jumping DOWN (like, from a bus to the ground)?

Acidote

Duck Amuck said:
3-3 on Pro is making me want to commit suicide as expected.

Play 5-3 on Pro just by yourself and have fun during
the fight with Wesker/Jill
:D

{Mike} said:
How bullshit is Lead Aspirin? I waited for a majini to jump from a platform to another one in 5-3, got the headshot with sniper and blew his head - no trophy. Is it possible it only awards you for a headshot while the majini is jumping DOWN (like, from a bus to the ground)?

I did it with the
Majinis that pop out of the water when you go grab the first of the three badges you need to open the door in the light beams chapter

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
{Mike} said:

Did it transform into something?

I did it on 1-1 at the end, just go up by that barrel and jump across and wait for them to jump.

Sectus

{Mike} said:
I got the achievement while the enemy was doing a normal jump so it's possible. What I did was play mercenaries mode on public assembly and shoot enemies with the Px4 (which has 90% critical hit).

{Mike}

Banned
Papercuts said:
Did it transform into something?

I did it on 1-1 at the end, just go up by that barrel and jump across and wait for them to jump.

That might be a reason (parasite out of its head). He fell all the way down so I did not bother to check.

I'll try again later.

I'm kinda dreading Pro mode since it's the last Trophy I'll need. Are the one-hit knockouts really that much of a PITA even with infinite, maxed out weapons?

Sectus

Valkyr Junkie said:
I'm kinda dreading Pro mode since it's the last Trophy I'll need. Are the one-hit knockouts really that much of a PITA even with infinite, maxed out weapons?
With infinite magnum and rocket launcher, not really.

USD

{Mike} said:
Got it while hitting an enemy jumping from one platform to another, so I don't know what to tell you.
Sectus said:
I got the achievement while the enemy was doing a normal jump so it's possible. What I did was play mercenaries mode on public assembly and shoot enemies with the Px4 (which has 90% critical hit).
Haha, I did the exact same thing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Valkyr Junkie said:
Just find a good partner and you'll be fine. If you start a Pro game and leave your party open, then chances are you will get another competent player joining you, so just do that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
{Mike} said:

Use the shotgun since it covers a wide range. Do it on 3-2 with the platforms you and the enemies can jump across. Simply stay on one side and they will jump at you. Aim high and done.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
is there anyone who has a spare rotten egg for me? i'm on xbl, gt=Creamium.

supposedly these things drop at random from chapter 4 onwards, but i haven't been able to find one yet

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
crowphoenix said:
Honestly, if I think of the game as a Resident Evil game, by the end, it loses that feeling entirely. It's not creepy and it's not tense. However, if I think of it as a Biohazard game, it all seems to fit in my mind and seems to be a natural evolution of the game. It's odd.
wat? :lol

USD

So are there any other weapons you can find on Mercs stages? I know that there is (at least) one grenade launcher and (at least) three rocket launchers on Ship Deck.

Flib

Obviously this game isn't really scary, but it's pretty freaking tense in parts (especially before you unlock unlimited ammo on any guns)

Neiteio

Rez said:
wat? :lol
Maybe he means that when he thinks of the game by the name "Resident Evil," the "resident" connotes "residence," which makes him think of the mansion and spooky atmosphere of the first RE. Whereas if you think of the game by the name "Biohazard," which connotes bioterrorists and all the action and tension that entails, RE5 suddenly seems quite appropriate to its namesake.

I think the name "Resident Evil" still fits because it could refer to the PARASITES, which live inside their host bodies -- hence, "residents" that are "evil." And of course there's always the whole conspiracy angle, that the enemy is among us.

/overthinking

gantz85

Banned
-Winnie- said:
Wow, Mercenaries is bloody addictive! So fun, but so time consuming.
Any tips for a beginner? I can't seem to get anything above a B. :/

I don't play Mercenaries on single player mode so I'm not sure if my experiences and knowledge on coop will transfer appropriately but here goes:

(1) Get familiar with the map. Spend the first few rounds locating all the time add-ons, identifying choke points, memorize spawn points and how combat will roughly flow given the layout of the map.

(2) Formulate a strategy. It's not true that getting all the time add-ons first and then killing enemies is the way to go for all maps. On smaller maps this could work, but on maps like Ancient Ruins or Prison the map is simply way too large to play that. You want to tailor a strategy for each map and to achieve SS class you want to make sure you do the below.

(3) Pace your killings. Pacing your killings was the thing I learned most. I've turned from using Chris as the mob-buster and shooting everything in sight to Chris circling zombie opponents and sidestepping and snapping their heads off when the time is right (if I'm not in the middle of a crowd, of course). You have 10 seconds to link your kills in order to chain the combo, and killing all enemies in sight quickly has the benefit of clearing threats but also often leaves you a good distance away from the next enemy. If there are a couple in front of you, snap one in the head and move to avoid attacks from the others. Snap other after 5-6 seconds. This way, you let spawns from other area come to you, ensuring a steady flow of kills -- this is vital to chaining.

(4) Use combo-bonuses wisely. These are important in order for you to pile on the scores as quick as possible, each lasts for 30 seconds and you want to kill as much as possible during this time but also make sure you can keep the chain going. You don't have to chain all match to garner an SS ranking; a 50-chainer with other smaller, more modest chains will probably get you there.

(5) Keep yourself locked and loaded and don't stray too far from your partner. Ideally both persons have headsets to facilitate communication.. I play without a headset while my friend has one and it can be infuriating (to me) at times especially since he doesn't lead the play.. :lol I mash in messages between matches and it's terrible :lol

Neiteio said:
Maybe he means that when he thinks of the game by the name "Resident Evil," the "resident" connotes "residence," which makes him think of the mansion and spooky atmosphere of the first RE. Whereas if you think of the game by the name "Biohazard," which connotes bioterrorists and all the action and tension that entails, RE5 suddenly seems quite appropriate to its namesake.

I think the name "Resident Evil" still fits because it could refer to the PARASITES, which live inside their host bodies -- hence, "residents" that are "evil." And of course there's always the whole conspiracy angle, that the enemy is among us.

/overthinking

Pretty spot-on post there. I agree.

Flib

crowphoenix said:
Honestly, if I think of the game as a Contra game, by the end, it loses that feeling entirely. It's not run and it's not gun. However, if I think of it as a Probotector game, it all seems to fit in my mind and seems to be a natural evolution of the game. It's odd.

fixed

Neiteio

AgentOtaku said:
Didn't recall anyone mentioning this but NECA announced their RE5 figures the other day

ChrisPackF.jpg
ExecutionerPackF.jpg

ShevaPackF.jpg
EXE_4_copy.jpg

CHRIS_3_copy.jpg
CHRIS___SHEVA_copy.jpg

They did the RE4 and SFIV figures btw. I'm a fan of their work and look forward to picking up Chris and Executioner at least ...don't know about Sheva lol
Quantum jump! Looks very nice. I have their Verdugo figure from RE4 -- absolutely dripping with badass awesomesauce -- and I'm sure these'll be swell as well. I wonder what wave 2 will have? If they want to parallel this set, I'd guess
Midnight Wesker
Battle Suit Jill
and Chainsaw Majini, although for that last one I wouldn't mind substituting the Giant Majini (scratch that, I'd love the Giant Majini). A
Reaper
or
Licker
figure would be nice, too. And man, I still need to go back and get me some Krauser love.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Those figures were for preorder a long time ago. I like the detail but the faces on both and Chris and Sheva are weird. Sheva doesn't look like her at all and Chris looks like he's got a mean cold.

Top Bottom