• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Johnas

Just finished the game.

Eh. I prefer 4 by a pretty wide margin. This game had some definite high points to be sure, but for me 4 didn't have any dips in quality, where this game felt more like a rollercoaster in that regard.

I have a very limited experience with the series, having only played and finished RE4, REmake, and RE5. I thoroughly enjoyed 4 and REmake. Speaking as someone who still has yet to experience the other games in the series, I hope with 6 they really do try to inject more suspense and fear versus giant, oozy dripping squishy creatures.

I don't at all blame them for using 4's template (a wise decision imo since it was only the second game to do so) but I didn't expect to enjoy it significantly less than 4. Not a huge problem since I'm not a diehard fan of the series, disappointing nonetheless.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
brandonh83 said:
Any tips on the second to last boss on veteran, primarily getting
Sheva to do what she's supposed to be doing? She just runs around blind with that rocket launcher, and when I have the launcher, she keeps telling me that she'll go get a missile but she never does, I have to hold her hand all the way up those ladders just so she'll actually get one
, and getting it to work from there on out is pretty stupid.

you are supposed to get the rockets & let her use the launcher. Wesker only needs 2 rockets on Veteran, so you only have to go upstairs if you miss Wesker holding the rocket. just make sure you are close to him when you shoot him, so you can restrain him right away. Sheva most likely will not miss with the rocket ... this part took me less than 10 mins.

fernoca said:
You can try not using that weapon and using any other.. :p

Oh I thought it was required... oh well I beat it right after whining about it on here :lol

finally beat it on veteran, just need to S rank a few more chapters and beat professional for my first Platinum trophy.

thanks for the advice AS :D

Sectus

Neiteio said:
I see people use the GOW reference to alternatively describe the
sun mirrors
of Chapter 4 and the
satellite laser
of Chapter 5. Which one are you guys talking about when you mention Hammer of Dawn?

Also, what would you guys think of a DLC scenario where you play as Josh in the events leading up to the Delta Squad massacre at the port? It could begin in broad daylight, playing up the harsh light/extreme dark contrast to great effect, with Majini lurking in the shadows and some new enemies on the prowl; say, infected hyena that cackle evilly and stalk you in groups, the port being a backwater town on the savannah and all. Then, once you’ve secured the area, it’s late afternoon and storm clouds are gathering overhead. It begins to thunder and rain, and out of nowhere Ndesu (El Gigante) attacks, who you fight on foot ala RE4. What follows is a sequence like the Gekko attack at the beginning of MGS4, where all around you your Delta Squad teammates are dying in real-time, while you struggle to survive, stunning Ndesu with your weapons to give you time to run and hide. The idea is Ndesu is considerably stronger than RE4’s Gigante – he has six times the plagas, after all – so Josh would need to exploit the environment, playing cat-and-mouse with the giant and ultimately finding a way to knock Ndesu unconscious (hence why the beast’s still alive when Chris and Sheva arrive later that night).

Maybe there’d be more to the scenario than that (I wanted to fit infected elephants, giraffe and lions in there somehow like early reports led us to believe), but at any rate it’s a scenario that could reuse assets already in the game (the port, Josh, Ndesu) with minimal additions (infected hyena).

I know the DLC everyone REALLY wants would be Chris and
Jill
exploring Spencer’s estate as seen in the flashbacks (the flashbacks now integrated at the end as a QTE). In and around Spencer’s mansion you’d encounter Barry Burton, who’d fight alongside you at parts like Josh at the oil refinery, and you’d battle zombies (let’s say specimens were kept for research), Crimson Heads, insta-kill Hunters and maybe a Tyrant complete with fully destructible environments.
Jill’s RE1 and RE3 costumes
would be unlockable, as would new files, figures, filters, weapons (you could finally find the Samurai Edge, and maybe the Mine Thrower), and more.

And yet a THIRD possibility could involve co-op with
Wesker
and the “Bird Lady,” perhaps prior to the events of RE5. I’m not sure who they combat, though; I’m not too keen on the idea of killing non-infected characters, but maybe the developers could shoehorn a reason why
Wesker
and the “Bird Lady” would fight Ganado/Majini, perhaps the infected of a competing sect like the Los Illuminados elsewhere in the world. This last scenario would probably be the most elaborate DLC, potentially requiring all-new assets.

Bottom line: if Capcom makes it, I will buy.
I think one scenario which would be be likely (if Capcom is considering any DLC that is) is playing as
Josh and Jill after 5-3. In the current storyline we don't see Josh or Jill until the very end of the game so we don't know what they're doing between 5-3 and 6-3. Are they killing majini? Are they having sexy time? Either way, that's a perfect setup for DLC.

Personally though, I think I'd prefer DLC which adds more content to mercenaries, that's what I'm playing most of the time now. Or perhaps a new mode which plays similar to the demo. Short story mode style chapters where you play with specific equipment. I think that's more replayable than the current story mode after you've unlocked everything.

Beat this yesterday and I need to vent.

What happened to my Resident Evil?! Wtf was this game? Bosses and enemies like Lost Planet were far from the zombie foundations of Raccoon City. The ridiculous amount of Gears of War influence is disgusting. Chris talks way too much like some jarhead dumbass soldier. Nothing in this game was scary. I played Code VEronica for the first time before RE5 and I had to wait for my girlfriend to come home because I'm too much of a wuss when playing a scary game. But nothing in RE5 comes close to that.

The game is extremely polished and fun to play (i loooove upgrading weapons like if I'm playing an RPG), but it's just not resident evil. Even the setting is completely foreign. Half the stages seem to take place during the day and something about the whole Africa setting isn't scary in the least.

Sigh. I hope Capcom sticks to the ending. They will lose all credibility if they go back on that. For RE6, I want them to take it back to Raccoon City or some kind of bio/punk apocolyptic city setting.

Lastly, where's a good place to farm for cash?

brandonh83 said:
Any tips on the second to last boss on veteran, primarily getting
Sheva to do what she's supposed to be doing? She just runs around blind with that rocket launcher, and when I have the launcher, she keeps telling me that she'll go get a missile but she never does, I have to hold her hand all the way up those ladders just so she'll actually get one
, and getting it to work from there on out is pretty stupid.

You should
fetch the rocket and then let her come to you and load it then tell her to put it down
or just do what I did on my veteran run through and
use unlimited ammo S&W 357 Magnum's

myDingling said:
Beat this yesterday and I need to vent.

Eh, yeah, RE4 warmed me up to this game though, I agree, I prefer the old-school RE, but RE5 was still a wonderful game IMO with tons of replay value. I did find some of it kinda creepy, like the tribal village in the marshlands but I've always been creeped out by stuff like that. I guess with the new gameplay I wouldn't think that zombies would have been scary if they were in RE4 or RE5 but there's still that atmosphere that they could have brought over at least.

neoism

Neiteio said:
Oh, and check this out:

The beginning of a Professional playthrough, with NO DAMAGE and an AI partner, all the way through.

HyperSakura2009 has some real skill. He/she plays through all 16 stages on Professional, with an AI partner, and doesn't take a single hit. It's definitive proof you can beat Pro with an AI partner, you just need to be GOOD.

Looking forward to watching the whole thing.
Why the fuck did he skip chapter 2-3, Does someone have a video of the whole chapter on pro.

Neiteio

handofg0d said:
Found some Hi-Res Concept Art for RE5, thought I'd share.

Note: I'm not sure if any of it is spoilery or not - so, fair warning.
There's much higher quality concept art -- and more of it -- at Creative Uncut. Tons of stunning models on display here, from villains and bosses to Alpha and Delta teams. As an added bonus, they have high-quality images of the BSAA North America and BSAA Africa logos, as well as Sheva's tatoo. Nice!

sectus said:
I think one scenario which would be be likely (if Capcom is considering any DLC that is) is playing as
Josh and Jill after 5-3. In the current storyline we don't see Josh or Jill until the very end of the game so we don't know what they're doing between 5-3 and 6-3. Are they killing majini? Are they having sexy time? Either way, that's a perfect setup for DLC.
I doubt
Jill
was doing much of anything after they left her in 5-3. That
mind control device
left her fairly wasted, hence why she couldn't physically accompany Chris and Sheva the rest of the journey. No, I think the only character that'd work well in terms of a parallel story would be Josh. How about this?

1. Josh and Delta Squad arrive at a backwater town in the savannah during the day (the port town), and proceed to oust the Majini insurgency. Packs of infected hyena are on the prowl, cackling in a way oddly reminiscent of RE4's monks.

2. Storm clouds roll in, Ndesu (El Gigante) arrives for a boss battle in the rain. Watch in horror as Ndesu kills your squad in real-time, like the Gekkos slaughtering the rebels at the start of MGS4. Josh plays cat-and-mouse with the giant, exploiting the environment to ultimately knock Ndesu unconscious. He tries to contact Dave (the guy who'll pick up Chris and Sheva) to warn him, but communications are cut.

3. Josh takes another boat out into the marshlands, cruises across the waters at sunset, and arrives at an all-new area, a jungle in which he finds another tribal village. Only this time it's at NIGHT, the tribals' eyes glowing in the dark, torches lighting up the area. Think the hostile natives in King Kong. Think pulp adventures on the "dark continent" (hey, it's okay, your character's black!).

4. After that, Josh works his way up through a new stretch of the oil refinery, complete with some mechanically-inclined puzzle-solving. This part and the part above may have boss creatures, but what they'd be I don't know.

Just some ideas of how an alternate look on the game starring Josh could play out. As I said before, it'd be a great opportunity to further delve into Africa's potential. RE5 did a fairly good job at this with its killer crocs, bat boss, tribals, ruins, savannah and poverty-stricken towns, but there' still more to explore.

Personally though, I think I'd prefer DLC which adds more content to mercenaries, that's what I'm playing most of the time now. Or perhaps a new mode which plays similar to the demo. Short story mode style chapters where you play with specific equipment. I think that's more replayable than the current story mode after you've unlocked everything.
Despite all my fun dreaming up new scenarios (the fiction is so fun to play with), I agree that more Mercenaries content would be my #1 choice for DLC. Specifically, I'd want Claire Redfield (she looks too good now to be confined to lightgun shooters), Leon Kennedy (next-gen revival!), Barry Burton (fan favorite, packing the hand cannon) and HUNK (machine pistols and a stun rod, please). In addition, four new stages, and make one of them set in the Spencer Estate from the flashbacks, complete with a storm at night.

bigswords

Shit I just realized if you click both the left and right sticks at the same time, you will taunt the enemies and will draw aggro from your partner if he/she is hurt badly.

Any tips to get A for the first mercs stage? (solo mode)

How the heck do you play profession mode, one hit and your health drops to critical lol!

Xevren

bigswords said:
Shit I just realized if you click both the left and right sticks at the same time, you will taunt the enemies and will draw aggro from your partner if he/she is hurt badly.

Any tips to get A for the first mercs stage? (solo mode)

How the heck do you play profession mode, one hit and your health drops to critical lol!

I played as Chris, first thing I did was drop my handgun so the only thing that dropped ammo wise is for my shotty. After that, grabbed the time upgrades and just went to town. Getting an A wasn't too bad, just takes some time learning the map.

I wish there were more forms of Las Plagas in this game. I only remember three (the flying bat-like creatures, the centipedes, and the armored ball). Were there more in RE4? I can't quite remember.

Shawn128

Special shout out to Vilmer. Thanks for helping me out dude, we managed to raise about $700,000 each after doing the rotten egg glitch for about an hour. Definitely saved me some time there.

Bonus: Got the egg achievement too since I never had a rotten egg!

Shawn128 said:
Special shout out to Vilmer. Thanks for helping me out dude, we managed to raise about $700,000 each after doing the rotten egg glitch for about an hour. Definitely saved me some time there.

I couldn't imagine actually saving enough money to upgrade and buy everything without doing that trick. There's no telling how long that would take.

xfactor

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
I wish there were more forms of Las Plagas in this game. I only remember three (the flying bat-like creatures, the centipedes, and the armored ball). Were there more in RE4? I can't quite remember.

There were 3 types in RE4 too:
the standard type
the decapitation "chew-your-head" type
the detachable type

Gotta love the sense of time passage in this game. In the savanna, the sun is setting and the boss fight at the end takes place at night. Kinda quick, but it's a game so no big deal. Then the next chapter is in broad daylight. Unless of course it implied that they took a break or something after the end of chapter 2 but it just seemed to me that they kept going.

Sectus

Neiteio said:
Despite all my fun dreaming up new scenarios (the fiction is so fun to play with), I agree that more Mercenaries content would be my #1 choice for DLC. Specifically, I'd want Claire Redfield (she looks too good now to be confined to lightgun shooters), Leon Kennedy (next-gen revival!), Barry Burton (fan favorite, packing the hand cannon) and HUNK (machine pistols and a stun rod, please). In addition, four new stages, and make one of them set in the Spencer Estate from the flashbacks, complete with a storm at night.
Yeah, besides characters (I'd want Rebecca too!) they could also bring back classic areas as stages. Not sure how well it'd work gameplay wise, but having the classic mansion from RE1 as a mercenaries stages could be interesting. Some of the mercenaries stages in RE4 were great and it'd be fun to see 1 or 2 of those in RE5. And as you mentioned, a map during a stormy night... they NEED that! I loved the atmosphere of that in 2-1 (I may be wrong with the chapter number) in RE4, I'd love to get that specific atmosphere back.

And it isn't far fetched either. They've got 3 modes in there which are using the mercenaries maps (mercenaries, survivors and slayers), and map packs is probably the one most usual type of DLC (something Capcom did for Lost Planet too), so it does seem like a possibility.

Beating it on Normal doesn't count for Amatuer as well, does it? It's going to suck having to play through it again on an easier difficulty setting.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jimmy Stav said:
Beating it on Normal doesn't count for Amatuer as well, does it? It's going to suck having to play through it again on an easier difficulty setting.

It all stacks. I beat it on Veteran first time through and got the achievements for Normal and Amateur.

However, if you want the Records to say 100% you do need to play on every difficulty.

I had no idea one of my favorite pistols in real life was an unlockable!

93r.jpg

beretta93r-2.jpg

:D :D :D

...also featured in Code Veronica

Zezboob

Dark FaZe said:
To beat him you simply
shoot him in the back, then the chest, then get behind him while he's hurting after you hit one of those parts and you can grab him :\. I was apart of the group that just shot his back and chest over and over thinking it was doing damage. When it comes to Wesker you can never kill him (other than frustrate him during "7 minutes") without actually using a close ranged QTE.
That's wrong,
in the final stage of the final battle you can beat him without QTE. But you better have magnums and infinite ammo :D

I need to try with the rocket launcher next :lol

vilmer_

Shawn128 said:

Bonus: Got the egg achievement too since I never had a rotten egg!

Anytime :) Once we hit the 45 mark it was all smooth sailing. I actually burned through like 600k upgrading the stuff I want to use as my main weapons.. We may have to do this a few more tries lol. It certainly saves valuable time rather than playing and saving for 6 months!

Papercuts said:
It all stacks. I beat it on Veteran first time through and got the achievements for Normal and Amateur.

However, if you want the Records to say 100% you do need to play on every difficulty.

Thanks.

Another question, what's the point of New Game+? Can't you just go back and choose the old chapters anyway?

Shawn128

vilmer_ said:
Anytime :) Once we hit the 45 mark it was all smooth sailing. I actually burned through like 600k upgrading the stuff I want to use as my main weapons.. We may have to do this a few more tries lol. It certainly saves valuable time rather than playing and saving for 6 months!

Anytime man!

I find it pretty awesome that RE5 unlocks items to decorate your house with in Home.

After getting Platinum I found myself filling my house with the treasure chests. :lol
Now that's how you support Home! (as well as the Siren Home space - but that's a discussion for the Home thread).

Troidal

Finished the game over co-op in normal difficulty over the weekend.

The further we played the game, it became more and more detached from the Resident Evil series. The bosses look like they're guest appearances from freakin' Lost Planet, even down to the way they highlight the weakpoint. Oooh ORANGE, I wonder what happens if I shoot that?!

The QTE sequences also got progressively annoying, as most boss fights are now filled with those. Maybe some people enjoy this type of gameplay, but I'm frankly sick and tired of it that I want a diploma to graduate from the course. Even though RE4 had it, I blame God of War for reintroducing this POS gameplay mechanic.

There was also one part where walking & shooting would have been helpful. There's that section where the platform keeps rotating and the Majinis would slow it down. You have to shoot them while the platform is spinning, but it spins fast enough that you can't aim precisely for the limited time you have them within your view range.

The Gears of War cover mechanic felt very tacked on last minute. You can only do it in certain designated spots, plus you cant move while hugging the wall. You can only reload while popping out of cover, WTF is that shit. I'd like to meet this smart general who reloads his gun while not taking cover in front of the barricades.

Don't get me wrong, the game was still fun, but I expected better coming from RE4. If it werent for the coop experience, I wouldn't have played this alone. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be towards the end half of the game. 7/10.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Just unlocked infinite launcher. Got all S ranks and thus bought all figures. I just need to beat pro, combo a zombie and thank my partner a couple dozen times.

Christopher

Does anyone remember when the game was first revealed Capcom said that it would have a lot to do with the heat of Africa as well? I would love to know how the game started and how it wound up to where it is today.

Captain N

Christopher said:
Does anyone remember when the game was first revealed Capcom said that it would have a lot to do with the heat of Africa as well? I would love to know how the game started and how it wound up to where it is today.

Didn't they say you would need to stay in the shade and drink a lot of water?

Sectus

Troidal said:
The Gears of War cover mechanic felt very tacked on last minute. You can only do it in certain designated spots, plus you cant move while hugging the wall. You can only reload while popping out of cover, WTF is that shit. I'd like to meet this smart general who reloads his gun while not taking cover in front of the barricades.
Press A while in cover to reload.

Troidal said:
You can only reload while popping out of cover, WTF is that shit. I'd like to meet this smart general who reloads his gun while not taking cover in front of the barricades.
That's false, you can reload while in cover.

Edit: Beaten

man! prison is really pissing me off....the stupid executioners are just fuckin annoying....they prevent me and my partner from chaining long combos....he is just way too fast. cant get a A for shit

Shawn128

I heard there was a way to unlock professional mode without going through Veteran via co-op. Would anyone be willing to help me with this?

GT: Shawn128

KevinCow

Banned
Troidal said:
The QTE sequences also got progressively annoying, as most boss fights are now filled with those. Maybe some people enjoy this type of gameplay, but I'm frankly sick and tired of it that I want a diploma to graduate from the course. Even though RE4 had it, I blame God of War for reintroducing this POS gameplay mechanic.
Didn't RE4 come out like two months before God of War?

I agree, though, the QTEs in this game were a bit annoying. I think they worked well in RE4, where outside of the Krauser fight, you'd have maybe one or two in a cutscene max, and the Krauser fight was an interesting novelty for that one bit. But RE5 is full of bits like the Krauser fight, where you have five or more buttons and if you miss one you have to start the cutscene over.

You actually can reload in cover. Just tap the A button, no need to hold the Ready Weapon button.

Neiteio

So I just got S ranks on all levels and unlocked the final figure (god I love figures), and now I want to get the infinite rocket launcher. I know you have to "complete the game in less than five hours," but what exactly does this mean? If I replay individual levels in Chapter Select, and shave time off the levels, will I get it once they add up to less than five hours? And are the times compared only those on the same difficulty level? Do I need to use the Continue option at all?

Troidal

KevinCow said:
I agree, though, the QTEs in this game were a bit annoying. I think they worked well in RE4, where outside of the Krauser fight, you'd have maybe one or two in a cutscene max, and the Krauser fight was an interesting novelty for that one bit. But RE5 is full of bits like the Krauser fight, where you have five or more buttons and if you miss one you have to start the cutscene over.

The last boss fight
in the volcano
was a little bit confusing too.
Basically each of us had to take turns in triggering an event or else one of us would die, and it was very hard to tell what we were supposed to do. Chris and Sheva gets separated, Chris is on the bottom area, Sheva has to shoot Wesker and he'll jump and come towards her. Next, Sheva needs to run off and the platform breaks, she's hanging on to the ledge, Chris has to shoot Wesker before Sheva falls off. There's a part where Chris has to push the boulder to create a land bridge and you'd think he's supposed to go across and then save Sheva, but noooo....Chris has to shoot Wesker and only Sheva could use it to cross to the other side. That part was so retarded!!!

Also, there was that thread I started, "Which is cheesier: MGS or RE" and I have to say after RE5, MGS4 and RE5 really really put up a good fight and I'd have to consider both games to be of equal cheese now...holy crap what is up with the most recent gen with their super bizarro plots and boss designs....:lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Pimpbaa said:
Arrrgg, I hate reapers so much! Instant deaths always suck in a game :/
I hate them in Mercenaries. I never have much trouble with them in the story mode but they're in such a confined area in Mercs that they always kill me right before time is up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Neiteio said:
So I just got S ranks on all levels and unlocked the final figure (god I love figures), and now I want to get the infinite rocket launcher. I know you have to "complete the game in less than five hours," but what exactly does this mean? If I replay individual levels in Chapter Select, and shave time off the levels, will I get it once they add up to less than five hours? And are the times compared only those on the same difficulty level? Do I need to use the Continue option at all?

Yeah, you can shave off time until it's below 5 hours. When you view each chapter it shows the total time for that segment, that chapter, and the whole game on that difficulty in general. Just get the last number below 5 hours(has to be on the same difficulty afaik) and you'll be good to go.

Xevren

RoboPlato said:
I hate them in Mercenaries. I never have much trouble with them in the story mode but they're in such a confined area in Mercs that they always kill me right before time is up.

Me too. I need to unlock someone with a magnum damn it.

Top Bottom