• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

I played the demo and hated it. But I bought the game last week anyway.

2 nights ago, I played through the first chapter, hated it, and vowed to never to return. I felt so clumsy, and the atmosphere just wasn't doing it for me.

BUT:

I woke up the next day wanted to revisit the game. Played last night for a few hours and...loved it. I know this has all been posted before, but i wanted to emphasize that you need to give the game time to grow on you. Its pace and controls are so unlike the games that we've all been playing for the last year that it takes a while to recalibrate. I still wish the story and dialogue weren't so inane, but you can't have everything...

Ok I am at the final battle (spoilers ahead, obviously) and I get to the part where you push the rock into the lava.... then what? They're not giving the option of jumping over to the other end, I just stand there and wait to get knocked off by Wesker every time. WTF am I missing here?

Flib

SlaughterX said:
Ok I am at the final battle (spoilers ahead, obviously) and I get to the part where you push the rock into the lava.... then what? They're not giving the option of jumping over to the other end, I just stand there and wait to get knocked off by Wesker every time. WTF am I missing here?

Might want to spoiler tag that

Y2Kev said:
How do I get the be the knife achievement? What's the easiest way to do it?

I got it with total luck my first play through, and I can't remember where. One place that might work though is at the end of 3.1
when you pick up the magnum and it trips the spikes and all those bow and arrow majini ambush you from the upper platform.

burgerdog

Y2Kev said:

They shoot the arrow 4-5 seconds after they light it up. Depending on how close/far you're standing from them just time the knife swing.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Y2Kev said:

The section before you fight
Irving, where you and Sheva are on the boat with Josh opening up the water gates. On the second gate where the two turrets shoot at you, take out the Majini by the turrets and then head up there by the turret on the left. There should be a crossbow Majini down below, and if you stand in between the turret and the wall, you can have repeated attempts at it without taking much damage, if any.

2-1 is another good spot, but I like my way since the wall and turret shield you from arrows that don't fly directly at your head. Also, take sheva's guns away so she doesn't kill them first :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yay!

Just got a Solo SS rank on Public Assembly with just over 100K. I find solo to be A LOT tougher in general, it's mainly a lot harder to hold a combo, so I'm happy that I managed a 44 on that run. For the most part, if an enemy grabs you the combo will die, though it also sucks when you get grabbed right by the axe guy. :lol

Near the end you get swarmed like crazy, I kept getting grabbed and had a ton of Majini around me, I luckily got the last time crystal with literally a second remaining and used the last minute to boost another 5K.

God how I love Mercenaries.

Christopher

The best way to get lead asprin is in the area where the manji jump from that section where the
crocodile eats the man
. Got it without even trying.

Be the knife Kev the one with the trains climb on top and you should have a good distance between a Manjiji to do it.

Sidzed2

Fantastical said:
Is it bad that I finished the game and only found one emblem? I didn't really even know about it though as it was playing through.

No, not at all. The vast majority of the emblems are hidden in ridiculously obscure, bullshitty locations which you have almost no hope of finding by accident. Do not feel bad, use a guide, because I guarantee that only obsessive compulsive Obi-Wan Kenobi psychopaths with far too much time on their hands will find them all on their own.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
The only thing missing for me is Pro mode. I wish I could finish it to get my second platinum trophy but what I played so far wasn't fun at all.

Davey Cakes

Mercenaries is frustrating. I haven't even gotten an A rank yet. It's ridiculously hard to keep a combo going. Best one I've mustered so far is a little over 20. Otherwise, it just seems like whenever I try to keep the combo going, enemies just disappear and by the time I can relocate one and kill it, the combo ends.

gantz85

Banned
Rash said:
Mercenaries is frustrating. I haven't even gotten an A rank yet. It's ridiculously hard to keep a combo going.

(3) Pace your killings. Pacing your killings was the thing I learned most. I've turned from using Chris as the mob-buster and shooting everything in sight to Chris circling zombie opponents and sidestepping and snapping their heads off when the time is right (if I'm not in the middle of a crowd, of course). You have 10 seconds to link your kills in order to chain the combo, and killing all enemies in sight quickly has the benefit of clearing threats but also often leaves you a good distance away from the next enemy. If there are a couple in front of you, snap one in the head and move to avoid attacks from the others. Snap other after 5-6 seconds. This way, you let spawns from other area come to you, ensuring a steady flow of kills -- this is vital to chaining

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
kamorra said:
The only thing missing for me is Pro mode. I wish I could finish it to get my second platinum trophy but what I played so far wasn't fun at all.

I just made it to 2-3 on pro with the AI. It's frustrating as fuck because you get little time to revive one another, and she drags ass whenever I get hit. Now I must fight the 2-3 boss and I have a feeling I will need to duct tape my controller to my wrist :lol

KevinCow

Banned
Wait a minute, what the hell?
Chainsaws can play dead? I was on chapter 4-2 in the part where you have to turn the valves, and then chainsaws attack you (and stupid AI partner got killed by them once, AI PARTNERS SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO GET HIT BY INSTAKILLS! :mad: ), and after killing the second one and taking his treasure, I heard another chainsaw start revving. Looked around because there were only two when I played through the area before, thought there might be another on Veteran, but then the fucker starts getting up! Fortunately I noticed him so he didn't sneak up behind me or anything, but what the hell?

KevinCow said:
Chainsaws can play dead? I was on chapter 4-2 in the part where you have to turn the valves, and then chainsaws attack you (and stupid AI partner got killed by them once, AI PARTNERS SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO GET HIT BY INSTAKILLS! :mad: ), and after killing the second one and taking his treasure, I heard another chainsaw start revving. Looked around because there were only two when I played through the area before, thought there might be another on Veteran, but then the fucker starts getting up! Fortunately I noticed him so he didn't sneak up behind me or anything, but what the hell?

Fear you can't predict.

xero273

KevinCow said:

Chainsaw guys get back up after you kill them on Veteran and Pro and swing their chainsaw around.

Chinner

Banned
KevinCow said:
Hint:
The biggest indicator to show whether or not the chainsaw guy is dead is by listening to the music. If its still going then hes still alive. Also, his chainsaw is still spinning.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
You know offline coop is pretty awesome too. I'm glad they made the borders black, me and my friend were playing it last night 'avin' a bunch of laughs.

Sectus

Rash said:
Mercenaries is frustrating. I haven't even gotten an A rank yet. It's ridiculously hard to keep a combo going. Best one I've mustered so far is a little over 20. Otherwise, it just seems like whenever I try to keep the combo going, enemies just disappear and by the time I can relocate one and kill it, the combo ends.
You should be able to get a A rank just fine with combos smaller than 20. Remember to pickup ALL the time bonuses in the stage, and if your combo breaks go open one of the combo chests for a nice boost in score (there should be around 4 chests per stage).

You really should not underestimate those chests. For instance, a normal combo of 7 kills will only give you 920 bonus points. But if you get 7 combo kills while the combo bonus is active, you'll get 6000 bonus points.

Another thing to keep in mind is that minibosses gives a huge point bonus if you kill them while in a combo. The bonus is 500 points per kill in the combo (but the bonus gets much smaller per kill after 10x). So if you're feeling confident you can easily kill the boss, try to maintain your current combo or build a quick combo before killing him.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Duck Amuck said:
5-3 boss on pro

*weeps*

I've already decided I'm doing this part with a friend. Sheva did great on most boss fights, especially the next to last, but she was utterly retarded here.

My heart goes out to you.

Davey Cakes

xero273 said:
Chainsaw guys get back up after you kill them on Veteran and Pro and swing their chainsaw around.
The chainsaw guy in Shanty Town got up after I killed him, and this was in normal mode.

It really freaked me out because that didn't happen in the demo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Applesauce said:
I've already decided I'm doing this part with a friend. Sheva did great on most boss fights, especially the next to last, but she was utterly retarded here.

My heart goes out to you.

Really?...I actually think that was one part that was a lot easier with the AI. :lol

For the two on two, the Sheva AI seems to always just go to jill and wrestle the whole time, I never have to worry about either. So I can either wait it out or shoot wesker with a magnum, etc.

For the Jill fight I would try to always be the one to grab her, and I gave my partner a magnum. The AI will always shoot her in the gem thing and never miss, so the shoot > toss to floor > grab is a lot quicker than the constant restrain grab, and there's not really any place the user can fuck it up(missing the gem and killing Jill).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Y2Kev said:

I just got it.

2-1 right at the beginning after you leave the warehouse, you come across a trip wire and a crossbow majini spawns on the crates above it. You're supposed to shoot him so he falls on the tripwire, but instead just stand there and swing away. Make sure you don't give Sheva any guns so she won't kill him and put it on amateur so the arrows do minimal damage.

Takes patience but it's the easiest place to do it.

Sinatar said:
I just got it.

2-1 right at the beginning after you leave the warehouse, you come across a trip wire and a crossbow majini spawns on the crates above it. You're supposed to shoot him so he falls on the tripwire, but instead just stand there and swing away. Make sure you don't give Sheva any guns so she won't kill him and put it on amateur so the arrows do minimal damage.

Takes patience but it's the easiest place to do it.

Yup.

You can position yourself so that he never hits you but you can still knife the bolt. You basically walk into the corner where you can see him and the tripwire. Move yourself forward a bit if necessary.

He fires exactly every 6 seconds so you can time it out.

neoism

Duck Amuck said:
You know what really helps you relax and play RE5's pro mode without wanting to smash your controller?

Philip Glass.

Kashiwa Daisuke and Kraftwerk are good too.

This song in particular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecOisJQABmI

So if you're going through Pro mode, do yourself a favor and bump some relaxing tunes cuz...you'll need it.
OFFTOPIC
OMG thanks for this link, I just discovered Helios! :) awesome music

mattso

haven't played this much the last few days

definitely going to put a good session in tonight

just finished upgrading the hand cannon last time I played so it should be fun times

Majmun

Before I'll do a speedrun for the infinite rocket launcher:

Do I have to finish the game in one run, or can I replay a chapter again to get a better time?

How hard is the 5 hour speedrun anyway? How did you guys manage?

Thrakier

Leon S. Kennedy said:
After having finished RE5 I am pretty disappointed. I was fine with the controls. It didn’t take long to get used to them and they worked fine. Visually the game is fantastic. The story and characters just didn’t hold my interest at all compared to RE4. RE5 also is simplified and dumbed down from RE4.

The characters in RE4 had so much more personality than those in RE5. Saddler, Salazar, and the village chief were so over the top that they added a lot of fun to the game. Salazar had an interesting story behind his ancestry and Saddler seemed so dang evil. It tied his evilness to religious zealotry which made it more convincing. Even Luis and Ashley had real personalities and interesting dialog. I had a genuine interest in watching the cut scenes. The villains and heroes in RE5 seem so bland and stale to me – like they have almost no personality at all. I watched the RE5 cut scenes - hoping the characters or story would get interesting, but it never did.

The story in RE4 was engaging even if simple – rescue the kidnapped presidents daughter from a hostile territory. You’ve also become infected and must find a cure. RE5 is back to bare bone basics – get the bad guy or he’ll destroy all of humanity.

What happened to the merchant? I miss the merchant. I like being able to buy a bigger suitcase and how different items take up different amount of space. You could flip things around and try to maximize the amount of items you fit in the suitcase. RE5 has a simple one item = one space.

What happened to jewels that were more complicated than just selling them. In RE4, if you recovered a necklace clean it was worth a lot more money than if you recovered it dirty. There was also combining jewels to make them more valuable. You couldn’t be sure if you missed a jewel and should sell the crown with a missing piece or wait and see if you find it later on. In RE5, there is no difference in getting a jewel to getting gold.

RE4 had three puzzles I remember off the of my head and they took a little thought to solve. RE5 only has one puzzle and its beyond easy.

I think RE5 is still a good game, but its more of a game that is good to rent, have fun with a friend and return. In a years time you won’t even remember much about it nor have any interest in replaying it. Whereas RE4 is something to own and cherish and replay once in a while.

This is exactly how I feel. Exactly. Despite that I don't like the graphics a lot. Character models are great, lighting is ok, but that's it. The contrast is all over the place, blacks don't exist, dark areas are always blue or green but never dark. There are really ugly textures and style choices and a lot of effects look like shit (the water f.e.). Also it feels I'm rushing from one area to the next and I don't know what I'm doing. In RE4 you always had a feeling of "oh, now I'm here" or "this places layout is like that". In RE5 you jsut rush from one vehicle to the next one or from one big door to the next one. Not to mention all those gameplay problems...

I'm only at the end of chapter 3 and if the game doesn't pick up A LOT this game is the disappointment of the gen so far for me. And I LOVED RE4 and I don't have a huge problem with the controls (although I think it should be reworked, the whole gameplay is not very believable, zombies stopping in front of you etc....not very immersive).

mattso

Second said:
Before I'll do a speedrun for the infinite rocket launcher:

Do I have to finish the game in one run, or can I replay a chapter again to get a better time?

How hard is the 5 hour speedrun anyway? How did you guys manage?
You can replay chapters

Doing it on amateur is definitely the easiest. I've just been replaying my veteran chapters working on better times since I find that more fun. It's definitely not hard.

Majmun

mattso said:
You can replay chapters

Doing it on amateur is definitely the easiest. I've just been replaying my veteran chapters working on better times since I find that more fun. It's definitely not hard.

Oh, so the total time of each chapter gets numbered up?
So if I've finished the game in, say, 5:20 hours, I can replay some chapters to bring the total time down a bit?

Sounds easy. :D

burgerdog

Applesauce said:
I just made it to 2-3 on pro with the AI. It's frustrating as fuck because you get little time to revive one another, and she drags ass whenever I get hit. Now I must fight the 2-3 boss and I have a feeling I will need to duct tape my controller to my wrist :lol

2-3 is ridiculously easy on pro, it's just like any other difficulty. You could take a bunch of hits before you get to the boss. Boss can two-shot you but avoiding his attacks is super easy.

man prison is such BULLSHIT....This fuckin map is so annoying...executioner is too fucking fast.

I have played this map like maybe 30 times now and still cant get a fricking A, dammit capcom

Fixed2BeBroken said:
man prison is such BULLSHIT....This fuckin map is so annoying...executioner is too fucking fast.

I have played this map like maybe 30 times now and still cant get a fricking A, dammit capcom

Safari Chris is your friend for that one.

ThirstyFly said:
Safari Chris is your friend for that one.

When I finally unlock wesker stars from this map (if ever) then I am never playing prison again. its just not fun, its fucking annoying. Its horrible. the worst map in the game.

Hey, not sure if this is the thread for this, but I'm looking for a co-op buddy. I just bought the game today and would prefer to play with someone who hasn't played the game yet either. Any up for it?

Daigoro

mattso said:
haven't played this much the last few days

definitely going to put a good session in tonight

just finished upgrading the hand cannon last time I played so it should be fun times

yeah we need to get back to our Duo Merc runs.

ive mostly been playing through the campaign again with friends who havent beaten it yet, and worked on finishing up my Pro run in my spare time (we can co-op that to if you want a partner).

barely had time to SS rank PA with STARS Wesker this weekend.

cant wait to get back to it. (think im going to be busy the next few days still helping friends though. hopefully you and i can make time to work on a few levels this week.)

Thrakier said:
This is exactly how I feel. Exactly. Despite that I don't like the graphics a lot. Character models are great, lighting is ok, but that's it. The contrast is all over the place, blacks don't exist, dark areas are always blue or green but never dark. There are really ugly textures and style choices and a lot of effects look like shit (the water f.e.). Also it feels I'm rushing from one area to the next and I don't know what I'm doing. In RE4 you always had a feeling of "oh, now I'm here" or "this places layout is like that". In RE5 you jsut rush from one vehicle to the next one or from one big door to the next one. Not to mention all those gameplay problems...

I'm only at the end of chapter 3 and if the game doesn't pick up A LOT this game is the disappointment of the gen so far for me. And I LOVED RE4 and I don't have a huge problem with the controls (although I think it should be reworked, the whole gameplay is not very believable, zombies stopping in front of you etc....not very immersive).

Absolutely agree on all points. Another thing RE4 has over RE5 is level design. RE4 was built like an action adventure with three large main areas that had plenty of secrets and opportunities to explore. Everything was connected and it really had a sense of place and atmosphere. RE5 was mostly a linear series of small areas connected by tunnel shooting sequences. I felt no need to explore and just rushed from point A to point B. Also the boss fights where extremely uninspired, many of them relying on fixed guns with infinite ammo, or some kind of one off weapon like the flame thrower or rocket launcher in the second Wesker fight.

cvxfreak

Duck Amuck said:
OH MY FUCKING GOD CHRIS. RESTRAIN HER YOU FUCKING IDIOT, DON'T THROW HER, YOU FUCKING TWIT YOU WASTED MY FLASH BOMBS

24nf96s.jpg

Vard

Beat the game yesterday. I would have to say RE4 is the better game, but it sure was a blast playing RE5 with a friend. I'm definitely going to be playing it multiple times, never with a CPU Sheva. For a horror fix, I guess it's best for me to check out Dead Space though.

Neiteio

24nf96s.jpg

As a film geek, I have to say the bit above was one of my favorite "shots" in the cutscenes, with
Jill
(do we still need to tag her name?) and
Wesker
in the same shot. Another favorite is
Wesker putting his glasses back on after throwing down Sheva.
The cinematography in this game is actually very good. Hell, RE5's cinematography was better than the whole of Watchmen; at least RE5 knows its camera can move (even if it didn't in the examples I just gave, lol)!

Neiteio said:
As a film geek, I have to say the bit above was one of my favorite "shots" in the cutscenes, with
Jill
(do we still need to tag her name?) and
Wesker
in the same shot. Another favorite is
Wesker putting his glasses back on after throwing down Sheva.
The cinematography in this game is actually very good. Hell, RE5's cinematography was better than the whole of Watchmen; at least RE5 knows its camera can move (even if it didn't in the examples I just gave, lol)!

It had pretty good cinematography. Very impressive, it was really dynamic and really pulled you in.

Top Bottom