• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Sectus

alba said:
I'm launching the game right now patch 1.02 for PS3 version (any idea what the changelog is?) It's 36mb :eek:
I was about to play with a friend but he got the patch and I can't download it. Seems certain asian and american copies aren't getting the patch yet. Japanese and european seems to be patched already.

I would personally guess the patch has the versus mode, and now it just needs the unlock key.

Neiteio

Thrakier said:
No, it's not my sound setup. It's the game and I'm not the first one to complain about this. Some cutscenes are fine but in most of them the audio is far too dull. Also I'm not talking about the music at all.
If you're suggesting your problem is universal, you're wrong. The game sounds great on my TV, and this is after playing the gold standards of MGS4 and Killzone 2. I never, EVER have to adjust the volume. Hell, I even turned off the subtitles for a more cinematic effect. If it helps at all, I'm using a Vizio 42" 1080p HDTV, going off the TV speakers, with Surround Sound set to OFF. I've heard from others with surround sound systems that this game is fucking awesome, with the
Uroboros Aheri
battle sounding especially grand.

I can not see how anyone can prefer RE5 to RE4 except he's a dedicated coop player. In RE5 all things which were charming about RE4 are gone. Everything is spimlified, you don't have a sense of place or progression, just coop playground after coop playground. And like I already said I think the character design so far is the worst of the series. WTF is this irving shit compared to salazar? Also, relative to it's release date, RE4 was graphically far more advanced and impressive than RE5. Sorry, I just can't find anything I like in this game and I played RE4 like ten times through, every version, PS2, Wii, Cube...
As a person who's only played the campaign in single-player (with splitscreen on a couple levels I had already beat by myself), I disagree completely. First of all, I wouldn't use Salazar to trumpet RE4's "great" character design. What little we saw of Irving was funny and less annoying than Salazar, and while he and Excella had less time in the spotlight, they had as much face-time as the Village Chief in RE4, and the whole debate over secondary villains is something of a moot point when the main villain in RE5,
Wesker
, is greater than Saddler and all his minions combined. Add to this RE5's superior variety of monsters (low-to-the-ground BOWs, flying BOWs, armored BOWs, truly transforming dogs and coyotes, Reapers,
Lickers
, the tremendous variety of Majini, more interaction with monsters such as uppercutting or impaling
Lickers
), and there's a lot to love.

Second, there IS a sense of progression.
What starts as an attempt by the BSAA to intercept and stop a black-market arms deal quickly turns lethal, with Alpha Team falling into a trap and killed by an unknown threat. Delta Team save Chris and Sheva, who then track Irving to the mountains, narrowly missing him and pursuing him across savannah and marshland to the oil refineries, after which they find him and are tipped off on the next rung of the ladder, which like any good terrorist is hiding in a cave. In these caves are the origins of the virus that started it all, and after working through the ruins of the tribe that guarded the secret, they find the original Umbrella lab and learn that Jill has been held there in captivity, so they work their way deep into the lab to track down Excella for some answers, uncovering the Uroboros missile plot along the way, before finally arriving at the Monarch Room deep underground where they find the grand architect, Wesker, who has turned Jill against them. Wesker and Excella exit the caves to the seaboard on the opposite side of the mountains and board a tanker, which Chris and Sheva infiltrate, tracking down Wesker in an epic three-part battle that shames RE4, restoring Chris' faith in himself not only by averting imminent doomsday (far more pressing than what was at stake in RE4), but also by saving not one but TWO partners, making Chris believe he can still make a difference in the world, "that it's all worth fighting for."
The progression of events felt VERY complete to me, with plenty of nuance along the way such as Delta Team's fate scaring Sheva to the point she nearly split and ran (a nice scene that really humanized the characters by showing they're afraid), and the whole bitter suspicion that the agents are considered expendable to their superiors (which, with Tricell funding the BSAA, is not improbable). There's a solid flow of events, and the fact it spans so many locations across the continent of Africa not only makes it feel more epic, but it keeps the scenarios fresh and interesting when the umpteenth corridor of RE4's castle was starting to feel repetitious and a bit pretentious in its dozens of find-three-pieces-to-a-key "puzzles," which thankfully RE5 minimizes in favor of combat, breathers and setpieces.

And RE5's simplified? Try going back to RE4, with only two melee moves and the inability to finish off grounded foes without wasting ammo or swiping with your knife (a pathetic solution compared to a Stomp, Impale, Windfall or Double Knee Press). I played RE4 20 times but I'm not going to deny it's become antiquated in some respects. I'm well on my way to playing through RE5 as many times (in single-player, too! I've only done two levels co-op), so we'll see how RE5 ages. The fact it's playable on current TVs without looking like a muddy mess and that it has multiplayer and greater combat and monster variety certainly can't hurt. I just love this game, and think it's a perfectly worthy sequel to the game that came before.

Neiteio said:
long post

Honestly it's really simple. If you prefer an action game I would recommend RE 5 to people. If you prefer an adventure game I would recommend RE 4 to people. It really comes down to that. All the decisions that were made for RE5 make sense for an action game (Especially a co-op one). All the old stuff in RE4 makes sense for an adventure game.

Playing through RE 4 now again is only reinforcing that theory that was already in my head.

Neiteio

Stoney Mason said:
Honestly it's really simple. If you prefer an action game I would recommend RE 5 to people. If you prefer an adventure game I would recommend RE 4 to people. It really comes down to that. All the decisions that were made for RE5 make sense for an action game (Especially a co-op one). All the old stuff in RE4 makes sense for an adventure game.

Playing through RE 4 now again is only reinforcing that theory that was already in my head.
Yeah, I'd agree with this. RE4 takes a lot longer to complete, for reasons good and bad, and thus feels like it takes more work to complete. RE5 distills RE4 to its essence and emphasizes the best gameplay qualities, with a more action-packed feel (a whirlwind tour of a dozen regions as opposed to three) that lends itself well to a format where you can play the game in sequence or as chapters.

i just noticed something. The spine of the 360 RE5 (PAL) is just a plain black with white capital lettering. Such a shame it's so boring since all my other 360 games have colourful spines. Oh, and the manual is black and white which is just cheap. A AAA game like RE5 deserves a nice glossy, full colour manual. Maybe I'll get the guide to compensate.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
brandonh83 said:
good lord me and Applesauce tried playing on pro last night (I think it was Applesauce, PSN was LiquidJM) and I guess I'm just worse at the game than I thought, I died three times in a row in the first chapter. I'm never going to get that platinum :lol

I'll just have to keep trying I guess. If someone with a whole lot of patience wants to help me I would be in your debt forever.

:lol

We can try again later. NEVER GIVE UP!

Neiteio

Slackbladder said:
i just noticed something. The spine of the 360 RE5 (PAL) is just a plain black with white capital lettering. Such a shame it's so boring since all my other 360 games have colourful spines. Oh, and the manual is black and white which is just cheap. A AAA game like RE5 deserves a nice glossy, full colour manual. Maybe I'll get the guide to compensate.
What? The PS3 version's manual is in full color, and the spine of the game case has the logo-style name. Why's the 360 version different?

Oh, and definitely get the guide. I was just reading it and learned that Popokarimu is a bat and a silkworm. I was wondering what insect the second half was, and silkworm makes sense because of the viscous substance it ensnares you with.

EDIT: Oh, he's talking about the PAL version. In that case, both NA versions are fine. Racism against Europeans, clearly!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Slackbladder said:

The NA spine has RE lettering and the manual is color.

ShinAmano

Slackbladder said:
I hate cheap ass no color booklets...

Davey Cakes

Neiteio said:
Yeah, I'd agree with this. RE4 takes a lot longer to complete, for reasons good and bad, and thus feels like it takes more work to complete. RE5 distills RE4 to its essence and emphasizes the best gameplay qualities, with a more action-packed feel (a whirlwind tour of a dozen regions as opposed to three) that lends itself well to a format where you can play the game in sequence or as chapters.
Which is a perfectly legitimate basis for why someone may like one game more than the other.

People need to face the music: RE4 and RE5 are similar only on a fundamental gameplay level, but are very much different in nearly every other way. There are as many reasons for why someone who enjoyed RE4 can enjoy RE5 as there are for the vice-versa case.

I've already said that the replayability of RE5 trumps RE4 easily. But, RE4 offers length, pacing, set pieces, not to mention the characters, dialogue, and economy that I prefer.

Majmun

I just earned my first Platinum trophy!

Finished the professional mode in singleplayer. It was less hard than I thought.

Thrakier

Neiteio said:
If you're suggesting your problem is universal, you're wrong. The game sounds great on my TV, and this is after playing the gold standards of MGS4 and Killzone 2. I never, EVER have to adjust the volume. Hell, I even turned off the subtitles for a more cinematic effect. If it helps at all, I'm using a Vizio 42" 1080p HDTV, going off the TV speakers, with Surround Sound set to OFF. I've heard from others with surround sound systems that this game is fucking awesome, with the
Uroboros Aheri
battle sounding especially grand.

I never said that it's an universal problem with every setup. But it's a problem with the game. I don't care why it's there. It just shouldn't be there. I also think that I have pretty high standards in this regard, maybe I'm noticing stuff you are not noticing. No offense, but this is something that happens all the time when people are discussing stuff not sitting next to each other. Different perceptions and so on.

As a person who's only played the campaign in single-player (with splitscreen on a couple levels I had already beat by myself), I disagree completely.

That's nice and it's legit. But what sense does it make to discuss now if Irving is a better villain than Salazar? It's just my opinion. I think that all the villains were very well presented and crafted, I actually looked forward to see the next cutscene. Overall it just had so much more attention to detail, almost like a MGS-game. In RE5 I can't feel that at all.

Of course there is a sense of progression, especially if you recap it after you did it (not so much in the game) but there is no sense for PLACE like in RE4. Like I said, it's just one playground after another and some of them are fucking hilarious and stupid. So unbelievable, one would say "gamey".

It may be that RE5 has a better action part (obiously that jump isn't huge) but as an action game it completly fails imo. It's just not a good action game. I came to this game playing Killzone 2 on Elite which is imo an almost perfect shooter. It's very immersive and the gunfights are dynamic and believable. RE5 is the exact opposite. If they sacrificed the whole adventure part for having co-op and three more combo moves it was the wrong decision in my opinion.

You may notice that english is not my first language so sorry for any misunderstandings caused by that.

Neiteio

Rash said:
Which is a perfectly legitimate basis for why someone may like one game more than the other.

People need to face it: RE4 and RE5 are similar only on a fundamental gameplay level, but are very much different in nearly every other way. There are as many reasons for why someone who enjoyd RE4 can enjoy RE5 as there are for the vice-versa case.
I agree. The fact the two games are different in so many ways means there'll be a Thrakier for every Neiteio. I loved RE4 and RE5, I feel they're different but both great in their own ways, and I like to think of them as two parts of a whole, two volumes to one set, the "Plaga Saga," if you would. The presence of one enriches the other by providing something the other didn't have, and we are richer for it. Of course, there'll always people who dismiss RE5 because it's different, or who didn't like RE4 but love RE5. The world is big enough for multiple opinions of equal vehemence. :D

fernoca

Second said:
I just earned my first Platinum trophy!

Finished the professional mode in singleplayer. It was less hard than I thought.
I'm about to do that, last Trophy to get Platinum (first and probably only game ever)...any tips?
My only problem seems to be with Ndesu.."evade..evade..FUCK!!!.."

Neiteio

Thrakier, I think well of you and respect your opinion even if I strongly disagree with it. I found RE5's world immersive and the action exquisite, but I obviously don't begrudge you for feeling otherwise. Opinions are opinions.

Your English is great, by the way. What's your native language?

Neiteio

How would I fare in Pro if I go in with an infinite rocket launcher, infinite L. Hawk, infinite H&K MP5, an infinite H&K PSG-1 (plus infinites of all other rifles), an infinite Hydra, two First Aid Sprays, Melee Vest and Bulletproof Vest? I guess it'd all be gravy up to Ndesu, huh? Or would the vests halve the damage there as well?

My friend and I got an SS rank on Prison the other night, btw. I knew we were doing something right when I killed the red Executioner and saw we had hit the 77th kill in a combo chain. We then went on to get an SS rank on the Village as well.

ShinAmano

Neiteio said:
How would I fare in Pro if I go in with an infinite rocket launcher, infinite L. Hawk, infinite H&K MP5, an infinite H&K PSG-1 (plus infinites of all other rifles), an infinite Hydra, two First Aid Sprays, Melee Vest and Bulletproof Vest? I guess it'd all be gravy up to Ndesu, huh? Or would the vests halve the damage there as well?

My friend and I got an SS rank on Prison the other night, btw. I knew we were doing something right when I killed the red Executioner and saw we had hit the 77th kill in a combo chain. We then went on to get an SS rank on the Village as well.
In Mercs are the ranks the same when co-op...so if I can kill 70 or so solo but in co-op we only kill 70 or so...do we finish with the same score?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ShinAmano said:
In Mercs are the ranks the same when co-op...so if I can kill 70 or so solo but in co-op we only kill 70 or so...do we finish with the same score?

No, there's a separate rankings system for solo and duo.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Neiteio said:
How would I fare in Pro if I go in with an infinite rocket launcher, infinite L. Hawk, infinite H&K MP5, an infinite H&K PSG-1 (plus infinites of all other rifles), an infinite Hydra, two First Aid Sprays, Melee Vest and Bulletproof Vest?

That's all you need. Ndesu is a bitch.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I don't even remember who the fuck Saddler was. Truly, he was small time.

But surely you remember Salazar, and if not even him, then his near immortal right hand? :D

When RE6 comes out we will be saying the same thing about Irving.

Honestly, I liked Salazar better as a crazy mid-boss. Irving just irked me for some reason.

Neiteio

Metroidvania said:
Honestly, I liked Salazar better as a crazy mid-boss. Irving just irked me for some reason.
I didn't care much for Salazar, but I loved Bitores (the village chief), even though he only showed up briefly in four cutscenes (one before the mines, another two in the house, and one in the shed).

Wesker
beats them all by a mile, of course. I generally prefer the boss design in RE5 as well. A bat-silkworm hybrid. A monstrous crab. A Cthulhu-esque sea monster ("EXTREME MAKEOVER!!"). A Lovecraftian mass of tentacles so big only a Death Star can cook it. An old friend. As a guy who loves monsters, some of the designs just floored me. How the hell did they even animate the first two Uroboros? I mean, is each writhing pustule its own set of polygons? I can't tell what the skeleton of the polygonal model is shaped like because the creature is always shifting shape. Visually arresting, to say the least.

LiK

Neiteio said:
I didn't care much for Salazar, but I loved Bitores (the village chief), even though he only showed up briefly in four cutscenes (one before the mines, another two in the house, and one in the shed).

Wesker
beats them all by a mile, of course. I generally prefer the boss design in RE5 as well. A bat-silkworm hybrid. A monstrous crab. A Cthulhu-esque sea monster. A Lovecraftian mass of tentacles so big only a Death Star can cook it. An old friend. As a guy who loves the monsters, some of the designs just floored me. How the hell did they even animate the first two Uroboros? I mean, is each writhing pustule its own set of polygons? I can't tell what the skeleton of the polygonal model is shaped like because the creature is always shifting shape. Visually arresting, to say the least.

if
Wesker comes back for the next game, i wonder if he'll still look freaky? i mean, he basically turned into an uber Tyrant in RE5. hrmmmm..

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Neiteio said:

I don't think the vests do anything on Pro, so I wouldn't bother with them...that's actually a good point with Ndesu though, they may actually have some effect on that level since you don't die in one hit.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
When RE6 comes out we will be saying the same thing about Irving.
Irving = village chief, Chick With Sideboob = Salazar. Or Saddler. Whichever one isn't the midget. Of course I remember the midget.

Err, I mean the chick would be the midget. I liked her, she brought out Sheva's inner moron.

Metroidvania said:

Absolutely. Irving was a forgettable throwaway character they didn't put any effort into developing. Even his boss fight is boring.

GaryD

Just started to play this game and holy shit it's awesome. Although I must say (and I'm sure it's been mentioned many times already) there is a shit load of screen tearing especially in cut scenes. This is the first time ive ever actually noticed tearing.

Brakara

Slackbladder said:

This makes me glad I waited for the Asian version from Play-Asia with its nice glossy colorful manual and spine.

GaryD said:
Just started to play this game and holy shit it's awesome. Although I must say (and I'm sure it's been mentioned many times already) there is a shit load of screen tearing especially in cut scenes. This is the first time ive ever actually noticed tearing.
Same happened to me, switch to 720p and it should be fine (I assume you are on 1080p).

Majmun

fernoca said:
I'm about to do that, last Trophy to get Platinum (first and probably only game ever)...any tips?
My only problem seems to be with Ndesu.."evade..evade..FUCK!!!.."

I had both characters equipped with the melee vest and bulletproof vest.
Chris was equipped with infinite rocketlauncher, infinite hydra and infinite dragunov.
Sheva was equiped with the infinite L.Hawk magnum and healing items.

So yeah, just get infinite ammo. Sheva handled pretty well, I might say.

ShinAmano said:
Infinite ammo or no?

Yep. Chapter 2-3 and 5-3 were still very hard, though. You can't infinite rocketlaunch a boss in those chapters. :p

ShinAmano

Second said:
Yep. Chapter 2-3 and 5-3 were still very hard, though. You can't infinite rocketlaunch a boss in those chapters. :p
5-3? The
Chick on the boat?
if so I wasted her on Vet with about 900 machine gun rounds and some various other guns I had in tow...had no idea about the
GPS Laser
until I was playing with a friend a couple days later.

Is there any easy way to farm bonus points (or whatever they're called)? I still need to buy infinite ammo for a ton of weapons.

Also, to get the last figurine, it says I must get an "S" rank in all the chapters. Does this mean all the chapters in one difficulty, or in ALL of them across all difficulties? I'm assuming the former.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The boss the above to posters are talking about is in 6-2. ;)

5-3 has the
Jill---
fight.

Majmun

ShinAmano said:
5-3? The
Chick on the boat?
if so I wasted her on Vet with about 900 machine gun rounds and some various other guns I had in tow...had no idea about the
GPS Laser
until I was playing with a friend a couple days later.

5-3 is the
Wesker and Jill fight

Sheva never aided me when I was in "dying" condition. I always had to restart when I got the status. Probably a glitch. So I had to finish the fight without being hit once. It was pretty frustrating.

About the boss fight in your spoiler:

I only used the laser during normal mode. The boss is REAAAAALLLY easy with infinite rocketlauncher and magnum. Just shoot the heads off with the magnum. When uroboros tranforms into one bulb, shoot one single rocket at it and it's dead :lol

Jack Scofield said:
Is there any easy way to farm bonus points (or whatever they're called)? I still need to buy infinite ammo for a ton of weapons.

Also, to get the last figurine, it says I must get an "S" rank in all the chapters. Does this mean all the chapters in one difficulty, or in ALL of them across all difficulties? I'm assuming the former.

Do 1-2. Bring a rocket launcher. Done in like two minutes :lol

And it can be spread out.

Majmun

Infinite rocketlauncher can be very easily obtained.
They should've make it harder to obtain imo. It's way overpowered.

Neiteio

Jack Scofield said:
Play a lot of Mercenaries. Get good and a SS rank will net you 5,000 points!

As long as you get an S rank on every level, you get the last figure. It doesn't matter what difficulty you get the S rank on, and you don't have to get it on the same difficulty for each level. For instance, I got an S rank on some levels on Normal and others on Amateur.

jax (old)

Banned
Played some RE4 last night... mechanically, its identical (almost) to RE5 - the graphics however on my 52" LCD tv didn't look so shit hot (even through PROG scan + Component). Next gen consoles... /bow

However, that said, the opening in the woods. Damn, it was atmospheric and creepy. Even the village setup ... and OMG at the head getting lopped off by the chainsaw villager. Very very visceral. The violence is sorely missing in RE5.

Also forgot about the MGS style briefings. Quite amusing. and yes, missing the briefcase + yellow herbs.

I think graphically however. OMG AT the generational leap.

Nemesis_

How the hell did they even animate the first two Uroboros? I mean, is each writhing pustule its own set of polygons? I can't tell what the skeleton of the polygonal model is shaped like because the creature is always shifting shape. Visually arresting, to say the least.
The developers mentioned in an interview somewhere that it was a very big challenge, but they overcame it. They also mentioned that the nature of Uroboros made it extremely hard to do on lesser technology, and that they were very thankful for the technology that they had to work with.

If you recall previously, there was a creature like this in Outbreak series, that was obviously pre-rendered and looked REALLY bad. >_>

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Wish they'd patch our North American RE5 already. It's annoying finding only one or two games for Mercenaries because of the version differences.

USD

C- Warrior said:
Capcom needs to add more characters to Mercs.
Yeah I was a little disappointed when I saw ten character slots at the select screen, only to learn that most are just different character variations. While each plays differently and I've come to be satisfied with the available characters, I was really expecting some characters from RE4 (and even characters beyond RE4) to appear. I doubt it will happen, but I would fully support the release of a RE4 Mercs pack.

Top Bottom