• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Stoney Mason said:
Okay none of my friends play survival horror style games (even though RE5 is an action game they don't understand that) so I'll use gaf in this instance.

I'm looking to see if anybody wants to play through RE5 as I've played through once solo and now would like to play through the game co-op online. There are a few ground conditions though.

1.) I'm decidedly average to slightly below average in RE 5 so if you're a super gamer type who demands excellence I'll pass. The worse you are probably the more interested I am in playing with you so nobody gets frustrated.
2.) I'm interested in casual fun time. If we die it's no big deal. I'm not interested in doing egg tricks or other exploits. I only upgraded my weapons in the one playthrough so I don't have or want unlimited ammo and such for this playthrough. I'm not trying to do a speedrun or blaze through the game to prove how uber I am.
3.) I'm not interested in playing mercs. Just want to play the main game co-op.
4.) I can play every day past 7:00 at night EST until whenever we decide to knock off.
5.) I'd like to try playing through on Veteran just because I played through on normal during my solo play.

If all that is agreeable just hit me up with a pm and I'll get back with you.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm on 360. Sorry.

bumped for today.

USD

Had I known that the money drop values (and ammo drop values) were doubled in Professional, I would have started playing it a long time ago. I only have 3 more weapons to upgrade, should be able to finish that up around the time I finish Pro.

And even though I upgraded a lot of weapons in preparation for Professional, thinking I'd need them, most of the time I use the original handgun and rifle because they hold a lot of ammo, saving up valuable inventory space. I do use the beast that is the Hydra over the starting shotgun though.

gantz85

Banned
Sectus said:
More mercs videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew-WB5N4cro&fmt=22 - 116k solo on Public Assembly playing as
Jill BSAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXGgjsw4nU8&fmt=22 - 170k solo on Public Assembly playing as
Wesker Midnight
- part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAa3RM-VL8s&fmt=22 - 170k solo on Public Assembly playing as
Wesker Midnight
- part 2

I'm frustrated. I want to see all those videos but China is firewalling Youtube now.. : ( Haven't been able to see any videos for days. I NEED MY RE5 MERCENARIES VIDEOS FIX OMGLAWL

shpankey

not an idiot
Stoney Mason said:
bumped for today.
You're my type of gamer! I won't have mine exchanged until probably tomorrow, but please add me GT: shpankE

Only question I have, will it be ok to watch all of the cut-scenes, etc? I can play every night from 5pm central on. I love to take my time and mess around and not be in a hurry. I also like to watch (and rewatch) cut-scenes every play through, most people don't like that. lmk if this is cool. It will be my first play through, but whatever settings you want to roll with are great w/ me. Also, would it be ok to pick-up from where we left off each time? I can work around your schedule, but I'd like to go through the whole thing with just 1 co-op person first.

shpankey said:
You're my type of gamer! I won't have mine exchanged until probably tomorrow, but please add me GT: shpankE

Only question I have, will it be ok to watch all of the cut-scenes, etc? I can play every night from 5pm central on. I love to take my time and mess around and not be in a hurry. I also like to watch (and rewatch) cut-scenes every play through, most people don't like that. lmk if this is cool. It will be my first play through, but whatever settings you want to roll with are great w/ me. Also, would it be ok to pick-up from where we left off each time? I can work around your schedule, but I'd like to go through the whole thing with just 1 co-op person first.

Assembly Required said:
Dude, I'm in. I'm not terrible but.. hell, I'm decent. I just enjoy the co-op experience myself.

I'm cool with either. My Gamertag is GT: CavalierReeche so just hit me up with a message on Xbox Live.

I certainly don't mind watching all the cutscene and such and that is sort of the outlook I'm looking for. Someone who isn't going to spazz out if we die (alot) and someone who isn't trying to be a professional gamer.

Narcosis

Man, fuck Pro difficulty, stage 2-3 at
Gigante fight
is absolute crap! My cousin and I gave up after losing 34 times consecutively. Everything is fine until
the boulder, well, the boulders after the first when you've already used the barrel. Absolutely ridiculous.

ARGH!

EekTheKat

MickeyKnox said:
My roommate finally got a copy of the game, so we played through to 1-2 where the QTE happens. Question though, right at the docks there's a treasure chest sitting behind vendor stalls, how the fuck do you get to it?

Grenades. Just blow the thing up. There's actually one in the fruit stand there too

Neiteio

My hardcover Limited Edition Collector's Guide just arrived from Amazon, and all I can say is WOW. You may recall me asking whether there were lots of renders (character models) in the book. There are! Hell, they even have a full render of the Red Executioner Majini from Prison, a monster I usually only have two seconds to examine through the scope of a rocket launcher. The bestiary show the renders of every creature, and the boss strategies give each boss a full-page render (including both Uroboros from 1-2 and 5-2, which actually have slightly different models). There's a render of
BSAA Jill
in an alternate pose that I like a lot, and great renders of all the alternate customes (god Clubbin' Sheva is hotter than I remember). They have thumb-sized pics of all 46 figures (I have all of them but it's nice to see them all clearly at a glance), and even large pics of every weapon, making it easier to learn which weapon's which.

Lots of cool tidbits in here, too, right down to stats such as the Red Executioner's 180% Speed rating and Grade 10 Difficulty equivalent to the regular Executioner. Plus it has an extensive section on the upcoming Versus mode, which looks very interesting. Unfortunately, you'll have to reacquire the eight hidden characters by buying them with exchange points (50,000 for STARS Wesker!), so start saving up!

I definitely recommend the guide. It's very well-made and full of interesting pictures and information, and is very durable in hardcover with sewn binding. More than 200 pages here, and it comes with a full-color calendar, too. Something to read when the PS3's TV is occupied. :D

cynlix

Narcosis said:
Gigante fight
is absolute crap! My cousin and I gave up after losing 34 times consecutively. Everything is fine until
the boulder, well, the boulders after the first when you've already used the barrel. Absolutely ridiculous.

ARGH!

Agreed. I died 29 times last night lol.
The boulder is easy after you explode the first barrel. You just have to keep firing at the boulder from the very second he picks it up from the ground. The thing that got me is the QTEs. Professional is not forgiving at all in that if you press the wrong button, you get like 75% of your life taken away :(.
I beat it though and now am at 5-3. PLATINUM HERE I COME!

LiK

Neiteio said:
I definitely recommend the guide. It's very well-made and full of interesting pictures and information, and is very durable in hardcover with sewn binding. More than 200 pages here, and it comes with a full-color calendar, too. Something to read when the PS3's TV is occupied. :D

you just reminded me to reorder it. i cancelled my preorder way back. i love the renders in the game. ^.^

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Narcosis said:
Gigante fight

ARGH!

Shoot the hell out of the boulder as soon as he picks it up. Both of you have to at the same time though. I did it with the AI & we never got hit ;-)

Dyno

More props for the Official Guide. I got the soft cover but all the renders are there as is the game data. Lots of stats and tables to help better understand the game.

Neiteio

Another awesome thing about the guide are the landscape pictures. Full two-page spreads of the savannah at twilight (*jaw drops*), of the stretch of jungle leading to the tribal village, of the elevator where you fight
U-8
with the eerie lighting from that battle, of the ruins with the hundreds of flowers from the very beginning of 5-1 (the "Underground Garden"), of the ship deck on the sea at night, and of the Prison hallway (the shot you see when you complete Prison, minus the Executioner). There's also a full-page landscape view of the Experimental Facility Mercs map from a distance (amazing complexity), and a full-page landscape view of the Prison up on the mountain as depicted in its Level Select tab on Mercs. There's also a full-page picture of Chris aiming his shotgun while Sheva hops over a rail (it graced the cover of EGM some time ago), and another of Chris aiming his pistol and Sheva loading her pistol while standing on some steps at sunset. I almost want to buy another copy that I can pull apart, scan and upload to the Internet. This is some good fansite material.

Also, some interesting tidbits: during the
Jill
fight, shooting her can kill her, but the device itself has 10,000 HP. Each shot directly to the device does 1,500 HP of damage, and each button tap when trying to pull it off does another 30. Thus, it's much quicker to shoot the device, IF you have a steady hand. Another cool thing I learned while randomly skimming the guide: when inside the ship on 6-2 leading up to
Uroboros Aheri
, you can make the tentacles in the hallway retract with four shots from a magnum, freeing up shortcuts that'll allow you to bypass all the Majini in the hallway save the transforming one with the keycard. Also, one rocket to the boss' exposed bulb will kill it instantly on any difficulty level.

I just found that out by randomly skimming. So much info packed in here!

Dyno said:
More props for the Official Guide. I got the soft cover but all the renders are there as is the game data. Lots of stats and tables to help better understand the game.
Yeah, softcover's just as good. It's all the same content, just no hardcover and no calendar. I got the hardcover for $20 ($10 off the MSRP) brand new at Amazon, using the free shipping option that's available on orders over $25 (I also picked up the Animal Crossing: City Folk guide). I ordered it Friday and it arrived today. I like the hardcovers because I'm OCD about my book's condition (even though all my paperbacks are fine), so others should be good with either version.

Sectus

Neiteio said:
I almost want to buy another copy that I can pull apart, scan and upload to the Internet. This is some good fansite material.
Yes, agreed :p

The
Jill BSAA
(darnit, I'm getting tired of spoiler tagging) picture, is that the on page 188? Or does the limited edition guide have additional artwork of her?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neiteio said:
Yeah, softcover's just as good. It's all the same content, just no hardcover and no calendar. I got the hardcover for $20 ($10 off the MSRP) brand new at Amazon, using the free shipping option that's available on orders over $25 (I also picked up the Animal Crossing: City Folk guide). I ordered it Friday and it arrived today. I like the hardcovers because I'm OCD about my book's condition (even though all my paperbacks are fine), so others should be good with either version.

The hardcover also has an additional art section and interview.

Kard8p3

I just talked to my cousin and he talked about how he and a friend played 2-3 on pro and got through it on their first try. When I told him how hard it was for me he pretty much said all of us that have problems must really suck at the game. I think he just got lucky.

Sectus

Kard8p3 said:
I just talked to my cousin and he talked about how he and a friend played 2-3 on pro and got through it on their first try. When I told him how hard it was for me he pretty much said all of us that have problems must really suck at the game. I think he just got lucky.
It's not that hard if you know how the boss battle works. It's even easier if play with the AI who does no mistakes.

What's really difficult on pro difficulty is the 3-3 boss battle without infinite ammo.

nib95

Banned
Why is Mercenaries mode so damn hard? Am I doing something wrong? It took me hours just to get an A on the first one. Forget stressing myself out that much to get A's or more on the others lol. Anyone have a guide or some tips? So far I'm trying to find all the time statues, and chests containing combo starters, where I try and chain as much of a combo as possible. I'm assuming you get more points the more people you kill in one blast? But I always end up saving my grenades for the damn scythe wielding nuggets. Either way, it took me a crazy number of tries to get A just on the first one, who knows how hard the others will be (I have a B in all the others so far).

edgefusion

Is it just me or is the VA in cutscenes almost inaudible? I have to turn my TV waaaay up to be able to hear them (or turn subtitles on at night) and then turn it right back down again for the game segments or else it's much too loud.

nib95 said:
Why is Mercenaries mode so damn hard? Am I doing something wrong? It took me hours just to get an A on the first one. Forget stressing myself out that much to get A's or more on the others lol. Anyone have a guide or some tips? So far I'm trying to find all the time statues, and chests containing combo starters, where I try and chain as much of a combo as possible. I'm assuming you get more points the more people you kill in one blast? But I always end up saving my grenades for the damn scythe wielding nuggets. Either way, it took me a crazy number of tries to get A just on the first one, who knows how hard the others will be (I have a B in all the others so far).

Well if you just want regular S ranks and stuff, keep a combo going. Try not to kill people all at once in case because you want to keep that combo for as long as possible. It's not that bad once you get a good flow going.

Lead a bunch of enemies to a combo chest. That's really the only time to kill more people than usual but just keep an eye on your combo and the amount of enemies.

For leaderboard material, you need to keep a combo going AND try to get nearly all melee kills. Those 5 second additions are needed.

Daigoro

Grimm Fandango said:
For leaderboard material, you need to keep a combo going AND try to get nearly all melee kills. Those 5 second additions are needed.

thats when it actually gets hard. S ranking the stages is not difficult with practice, but playing for score is fucking tough!

so addictive though. even as i want to smash my controller against the wall, im selecting "Yes" to retry the stage.

so awesome.

Neiteio

Sectus said:
Yes, agreed :p

The
Jill BSAA
(darnit, I'm getting tired of spoiler tagging) picture, is that the on page 188? Or does the limited edition guide have additional artwork of her?
Yes, that's the one. According to the insert (reading it now), the hardcover extends the Art Gallery by 16 pages, but the pic of
BSAA Jill
is the one you mention on pg. 188. I wish she wasn't so spoilerific, so Capcom would hurry up and release a high-res render of that pose online. Fans of the character would love it.

Looking through the hardcover, I'm guessing the extended art pieces are the landscape pics I described, since they amount to exactly 16 pages and are very high quality (high gloss, full color), so they must cost extra to print, hence why they're only in the hardcover.

desperate for someone to help me get through professional on PS3 version. any takers? I have until Lost comes on at 9pm est, and then from 10pm est on until I fall asleep at the wheel. I have this last trophy to get before my first ever platinum.

neoism

shpankey said:
My birthday was yesterday. My awesome daughter who works at Best Buy part time after-school and on week-ends surprised the crap out of me with RE5 present for PS3. She said she saw how I always rewinded and watched the commercial several times and seen the gleem in my eye. :lol How awesome is that? :D I may do a quicky exchange for the 360 version though, but I can't wait to get started. :)
Wow dude, your daughter is awesome!:lol :lol :lol

neoism

Guys do you have to S rank all chapters on one difficult or can I S rank one level and then another on a different difficulty, and it count!????????

neoism said:
Guys do you have to S rank all chapters on one difficult or can I S rank one level and then another on a different difficulty, and it count!????????

yeah that's what I did. if you're going for the figurine/trophy, yes, you can spread them out.

EekTheKat

neoism said:

You should be able to mix difficulties for S rank. Just need one S per chapter regardless of difficulty.

EekTheKat

brandonh83 said:
desperate for someone to help me get through professional on PS3 version. any takers? I have until Lost comes on at 9pm est, and then from 10pm est on until I fall asleep at the wheel. I have this last trophy to get before my first ever platinum.

I can do a couple runs (ps3 version). My Pro run wasn't perfect but I did get the Platinum out of it. Been playing too much mercenaries lately though, hopefully I still remember how the campaign actually went.

dejan

Aaargh almost rage quit during
the Wesker/Jill fight in chapter 5-3
. First time Sheva really pissed me off. Will try again tomorrow. Boss fights are really not the strong point of RE5.

Kard8p3

brandonh83 said:

I'm trying to play through pro as well and would have gladly played with you but I can't keep a connection for longer than 5 minutes without errors. I've tried with every PS3 game and the same thing always happens. It's getting to the point where I'm about done with it all.

EekTheKat said:
I can do a couple runs (ps3 version). My Pro run wasn't perfect but I did get the Platinum out of it. Been playing too much mercenaries lately though, hopefully I still remember how the campaign actually went.

cool! will do if you want.

edgefusion

Any tips for (final boss spoiler)
the first part of the final fight with Wesker
? Sheva's AI is absolutely hopelessly bad, not only is she not helping me she is actually doing things to continually put me at a disadvantage.

Highlight for Sheva screw-up 'hilarity':
Screw up her pathfinding all the time, she literally zig zags around the stage making it impossible to get away from Wesker.
She LIES to me, she'll say, "I've got an RPG!" when she has no such thing or is not even close to getting one.
Shooting Wesker when he doesn't know where we are, alerting him to our location. I've since removed all ammo from her inventory as she cannot be trusted with it.
Actually running directly past me to grab a bag of gold when I was DYING.

End of rant.

Neiteio

edgefusion said:
Any tips for (final boss spoiler)
the first part of the final fight with Wesker
? Sheva's AI is absolutely hopelessly bad, not only is she not helping me she is actually doing things to continually put me at a disadvantage.

Highlight for Sheva screw-up 'hilarity':
Screw up her pathfinding all the time, she literally zig zags around the stage making it impossible to get away from Wesker.
She LIES to me, she'll say, "I've got an RPG!" when she has no such thing or is not even close to getting one.
Shooting Wesker when he doesn't know where we are, alerting him to our location. I've since removed all ammo from her inventory as she cannot be trusted with it.
Actually running directly past me to grab a bag of gold when I was DYING.

End of rant.
You're not at the final battle. But here's what you should do:

For all my praise of Sheva's AI, I've noticed her get confused here too. Most of the time she makes a beeline straight for the ladder and retrieves a rocket from the glass case on the top scaffolding, but sometimes she doesn't seem to know where to go. What I'd do is drop the rocket launcher by switching to any of your normal weapons with the dpad, climb the two ladders to retrieve the rocket yourself, then return to Sheva on the ground floor, drop the rocket, pick up the rocket launcher, tell Sheva to pick up the rocket, and then tell her to load it for you. At this point you make sure you've shut off all the lights, and then use the radar to sneak up on Wesker and fire the rocket when he's lost you. He'll catch the rocket, which you then shoot, stunning him so that one of you can restrain him while the other injects the virus. The first injection attempt will always fail; the second will succeed.

Oh, and be sure to enjoy that fight's amazing music.

Thrakier

edgefusion said:
Is it just me or is the VA in cutscenes almost inaudible? I have to turn my TV waaaay up to be able to hear them (or turn subtitles on at night) and then turn it right back down again for the game segments or else it's much too loud.

It's the game. Sounds like shit. Like someone wrote earlier in the thread, it was recorded in a fish tank. Also the graphics get more and more dissapointing. The demo sections were the one which were the most impressive. I expected much more. The fucked up contrast makes the game look like shit if there isn't a lighting source somewhere. Imo only the character models are impressive. Those are really good.

So far this game is worse by a far margin than RE4 in EVERY possible way except Co-Op. It's a immensly simplified RE4, co-op playground after co-op playground, shitty cutscens, bad characters (just think of salazar and his evil monsters, THIS was cool character design, so far RE5 offers nothing). Ah, I'm starting to hate this game. And I was SO hyped for it.

Sidzed2

I'm just wondering, does the infinite rocket launcher make most bosses a breeze in Professional Mode (aside from say, Ndesu)?

For instance, I would imagine the rocket launcher would deal with the 5-3 boss fairly quickly... am I wrong?

EekTheKat

kamorra said:
Last part in 5-3 (pro) is IMPOSSIBLE with the AI!

You can trigger the door sequence early, turning the game into hide and seek almost immediately. This sort of cuts down on Sheva getting pwned on phase 1

Then a couple rockets to the face will do it if you can find a good blind spot.

Neiteio

Thrakier said:
It's the game. Sounds like shit. Like someone wrote earlier in the thread, it was recorded in a fish tank. Also the graphics get more and more dissapointing. The demo sections were the one which were the most impressive. I expected much more. The fucked up contrast makes the game look like shit if there isn't a lighting source somewhere. Imo only the character models are impressive. Those are really good.

So far this game is worse by a far margin than RE4 in EVERY possible way except Co-Op. It's a immensly simplified RE4, co-op playground after co-op playground, shitty cutscens, bad characters (just think of salazar and his evil monsters, THIS was cool character design, so far RE5 offers nothing). Ah, I'm starting to hate this game. And I was SO hyped for it.
I've already written several dissertations about how I feel RE5 matches, if not outshines RE4 in every way, but now people have a problem with the sound? Admittedly, the song on the credits sounded off, but the voice acting, music and sound effects all sound crystal clear, with some of the best voice acting and by far the best music in the series to date. (Some favorites: "An Emergency," "Sad But True," "Majini IX," "Wind of Madness," "Deep Ambition," "Pray.") Did you check your sound settings? I shit you not, it sounds fine on my setup (and I'm the guy who bitched about the way my PS3 played back mp3s).

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
EekTheKat said:
You can trigger the door sequence early, turning the game into hide and seek almost immediately. This sort of cuts down on Sheva getting pwned on phase 1

Then a couple rockets to the face will do it if you can find a good blind spot.

I'm playing as Sheva and I always run immediately to the door to trigger the cutscene. My problem is Chris, he just loves Jill's bullets. ;(

Revolutionary said:
No, it's possible.
Just prepare for a shit ton of frustration.

I just turned the game off and will it not try it again
until tomorrow

edgefusion said:

Do you have a 5.1 setup? The game uses Dolby Digital Dialog Normalization, so the channel balance is tailored to surround sound setups that support dialog normalization.

Top Bottom