• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just beat Veteran. Started Pro solo and eh... it's pretty intense. I like it though, keeps you on your toes even with all the best weapons on infinite. Hydra with unlimited ammo is a real godsend and pretty much a must on this mode.

DoomGyver

Im about to start my first playthrough, do you have to finish it on Veteran to unlock Pro? Or can you just finish it on Normal and unlock Pro?

And anybody want to do the egg trick with me? (ps3 version)

Full Recovery said:
Im about to start my first playthrough, do you have to finish it on Veteran to unlock Pro? Or can you just finish it on Normal and unlock Pro?

Gotta complete veteran to unlock pro

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Full Recovery said:

You have to beat Veteran to unlock Pro, but you can have someone go into Pro mode and invite you in to unlock it.

Neiteio

Nemesis556 said:
The developers mentioned in an interview somewhere that it was a very big challenge, but they overcame it. They also mentioned that the nature of Uroboros made it extremely hard to do on lesser technology, and that they were very thankful for the technology that they had to work with.

If you recall previously, there was a creature like this in Outbreak series, that was obviously pre-rendered and looked REALLY bad. >_>
Yeah, I was just replaying 5-2 doing the
Licker
corridor over and over for 12,500 G per run, when I decided "What the hey, I'll finish it," and when I got to the boss I couldn't help but marvel. Nearly got me killed when the beast tried to absorb me!

If I had to guess, I'd say the model's skeleton is more or less a t-shaped line that alternates between raising its anterior and posterior, depending on whether it's surging forward or rearing up to attack, and it can expand and contract its mass with all the pustules being separate chains of polygons that elongate and shrink in addition to squirming independently of one another. The effect is a an amorphous mess of chaotic limbs that looks more high-end Hollywood than videogame. Not being able to tell exactly how much of the creature's model is physically substantiated makes that bit at the end of 1-2 where
you're trying to keep it from slipping out the furnance door
particularly intense.

Thrakier

Daigoro said:

All the blacks are green. Green is the dominant color in most of the scenes and I don't see the reason for it. In the stage where you have to turn the lasers it suddenly changes and blacks are a bit more black. In the stage right before it with those huge staircases which you move it's awful, all dark areas are completly green.

AllGamer

Thrakier said:
Why is this game SO green? :(

fifthelement154pi7.jpg

Sectus

Thrakier said:
Why is this game SO green? :(
Tell me, how much green do you see in these screenshots?
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10032826.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10014919.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10001505.jpg

All I see are awesome graphics and
Jill's
awesome butt. You should get an award for making a big deal out of trivial issues. The PS3 framerate is just fine. The tint on black areas is so minor you'd only barely notice it (unless your display is not configured correctly).

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Full Recovery said:

I only have 15 eggs but if you give them back a couple times I can hook you up. PSN is in my profile.

Neiteio

Thrakier said:
All the blacks are green. Green is the dominant color in most of the scenes and I don't see the reason for it. In the stage where you have to turn the lasers it suddenly changes and blacks are a bit more black. In the stage right before it with those huge staircases which you move it's awful, all dark areas are completly green.
Uh... No? Can you pull up a video of the area you see this in on YouTube and show it to us, because frankly I have no idea what you're talking about.

This is one of the best-looking games I've ever played on a console, and one thing I like about it that past REs lacked is the use of color. Off the top of my head, the warm golds and lush greens of Chapter 1, the fiery sunset and cool twilight of Chapter 2, the steamy silvers of the gathering storm in Chapter 3, the sunlight spilling into the caverns in Chapter 4, even the gleaming whites of Chapter 5's elevator... This game runs the gamut of color, and it looks great.

Zenith

Banned
Thrakier said:

maybe your TV settings are off.

Victrix

*beard*
Thrakier said:

Tv, platform, or cables. Black is black on my plasma/360/hdmi setup, shrug.

Daigoro

Thrakier said:

oh that. ive heard people talking about it, but ive never actually seen it. i play on either my CRT with component or on my LCD monitor via VGA.

ive never seen a hint of tearing that people talk about either (luckily), but that probably because of the resolutions i play at i guess.

Doc Evils said:
1 achievement left, the figurine one. Can't be arsed to grind for points. hmmmmmmm

only costs 500. you need S ranks in all stages. not points.

Neiteio

Looking at Sectus' screenshots... I can't get over how fucking awesome
Jill
looks, blonde or brunette. Hell, I can't get over how awesome ALL of the characters look. The figure gallery is simultaneously one of the most enjoyable and maddening extras in a game. Enjoyable, because I can spend far too much time drinking up the detail on the bat/silkworm boss, the skinless musculature of the
Licker
or the snakeskin pattern on
Wesker's
coat. Maddening, because there's too much detail to absorb; my mind can't wrap itself around the complexity of the Giant Majini's mask and mane, or how damn fine Tribal Sheva looks. It's like the designers reached into Plato's Realm of Forms and extracted the ideal form of Feminine Beauty when they made her.

I loved the figurines in Smash Bros. and Wind Waker and I sure as hell love these. I've yet to decide my favorites... The Executioner is one of them, along with the others I mentioned. Gotta dig the Uroboros figure too, even if you can't fully appreciate its complexity when it's not moving.

Thrakier

Sectus said:
Tell me, how much green do you see in these screenshots?
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10032826.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10001505.jpg

All I see are awesome graphics and
Jill's
awesome butt. You should get an award for making a big deal out of trivial issues. The PS3 framerate is just fine. The tint on black areas is so minor you'd only barely notice it (unless your display is not configured correctly).

Yeah, on the last screen the green tint is there. That's what I mean. There are areas in which it is much worse though. The contrast is not saturated but STILL crushes blacks and in addition it has a green or blue tint.

As far as my TV or my setup is concerned - no, it's not the reason. My TV is calibrated, I have no problems with other games and I'm not the only one noticing it. The thing with stuff like this is only a few people are bothered by it because everyone has a different perception. Some people just don't see things like that. The contrast situation including the blacks with a mostly green and sometimes blue tint ist definitly strange. Besides that I don't think that the game has much to offer in terms of graphics except the great character and enemy models.

Video example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MErFCP3IS4Q&feature=related

walkthrough chapter 4-1. This part was the worst offender so far I guess bad all indoor scenes are pretty shitty in lighting/contrast terms. Outside is fine for the most part. Stop at 2:32 and look to the right side. That's a green black, not a black black. That's just a random pick though, it's like that the whole time. Also funny, if it loads and right before the loading screen appears you can see a black screen with blue/green tint and when it jumps to the loading screen black is black again...it has something to do with the engine, I don't know.

Neiteio

Thrakier said:
Yeah, on the last screen the green tint is there. That's what I mean. There are areas in which it is much worse though. The contrast is not saturated but STILL crushes blacks and in addition it has a green or blue tint.

As far as my TV or my setup is concerned - no, it's not the reason. My TV is calibrated, I have no problems with other games and I'm not the only one noticing it. The thing with stuff like this is only a few people are bothered by it because everyone has a different perception. Some people just don't see things like that. The contrast situation including the blacks with a mostly green and sometimes blue tint ist definitly strange. Besides that I don't think that the game has much to offer in terms of graphics except the great character and enemy models.
Maybe I could see it if you could take the screenshot, put it in Paint and circle the problematic areas, then repost it here.

And you don't like the environments in this game? I thought most of them looked good. I also thought RE4's looked good, though, so I guess if you hated RE5's you hated that game's landscapes as well. I love the look of the Civilan Checkpoint, the golden light, how it looks brighter outside when you're standing in the shade, and other details like the shrine of candles and skulls, the rotten meat, et al... I love the sweeping vista of ruins in 4-1, with rushing waterfalls and sunlight filtering down and swarms of bats flittering past... Or how about the jungle foliage along the river you follow to reach the tribal village, or the savannah at twilight with the streaks of blue, purple and pink swirling around a fiery setting sun... All gorgeous. The very first sight of 5-1 -- the
the throngs of flowers on the altar
-- is a stop-and-stare moment.

I wish the game had a screenshot feature like Noby Noby Boy, for those of us that lack capture equipment like Sectus.

Doc Evils

Daigoro said:
oh that. ive heard people talking about it, but ive never actually seen it. i play on either my CRT with component or on my LCD monitor via VGA.

ive never seen a hint of tearing that people talk about either (luckily), but that probably because of the resolutions i play at i guess.

only costs 500. you need S ranks in all stages. not points.

I need to do a speed run for the infiniti rocket launcher to make it easier for me.:/

Thrakier

No, I don't think the enviroments or the lighting is very good. Also for the textures. The engine is not bad, I would like it far more with a correct contrast setup I guess, but it's definitly not ground breaking. It's just "good". RE4 back then was the new reference. However, you observation seem less technical than mine. I didn't judge the art so far. ;)

What I just found:

http://boards.ign.com/teh_vestibule/b5296/177870705/r177889972/

"The 360 version has a noticeable green tint to everything, whereas the PS3 version has a more balanced contrast."

I don't know if it's true though, the demo seemed to be about the same. Just search for Resident Evil 5 + green tint, you will find some stuff if you still believe that it's just my TV or my imagination. ;)

Obviously, it depends also on your TV settings. If you crush your blacks by default with a low brightness or FULL RGB you may not notice the green tint. That however is not an option for me. ;)

Or check this image...

929198_20090312_790screen004.jpg

Green. Not black.

ArtOfLife

Neo Member
I thought I was done with this game, but no; even after seeing most of what it has to offer I still feel the motivation to play it. It's like Resi 4 all over again! As soon as I finished the main story I jumped straight into
Mercenaries
and played that rather obsessively for a while, unlocked
both Jills and one of the Weskers as well as Safari Chris
, and have also been upgrading the third pistol, Lightning Hawk Magnum and the M3 to infinite ammo.

Since I've went back and had brief plays at RE4, Remake, Zero, 3, Code Veronica and even the original, just for nostalgia.
Resident Evil can't be over, can it? From the ending it seems like it but I'm going to miss these characters if they do a reboot. I suppose a possible sequel could explore Ada's agency and what they intend to use their virus samples for, since Umbrella and Tricell have been taken down. Well, I assume Tricell have; Wesker's dead.

By the way, is my avatar okay?
I've noticed a few people with Jill avatars, it's just I realise we're all spoiler tagging the plot developments and any references to the story and yet here I am with a full blown picture of the mystery lady herself...

Neiteio

Thrakier, I'm playing the PS3 version and the Mines don't look ANYTHING like that. In fact, Sectus posted a video recently of his SS run on that level (the one with STARS Chris) and it didn't look anything like that. The Mines on my TV have rich bronze rocks and pitch-black blacks. It looks great.

Also, technical jargon or not I know a damn good-looking game when I see one. I feel bad for you if your knowledge of what constitutes an image is so scientifically precise that you can't see the forest for the tree. This game is gorgeous. Just look at the area at the point you wanted us to examine in the video you linked to. The sheer complexity of debris layered on architecture layered on rock formations, impossible to take in at a glance... Damn.

Neiteio

David H Wong said:
Has to be an issue with some TVs or cables or something, mine has no green tint at all, anywhere where it shouldn't be.
Yeah, mine doesn't look like that screenshot either, but what's weird is that screenshot probably came from Capcom itself, because it's showing a mode not yet available to the public. Why would their colors be off?

At any rate, the Mines look perfect on my calibrated set. Really, it's one thing to argue about something like the amount of horror in the game, but this seems a bit silly.

EDIT: We need a gallery of screenshots from this game, specifically ones of each figure in the gallery. Tons of good avatar material there. I'd love a Tribal Sheva avatar, or one of Safari Chris. More shots of either version of
Jill
would be welcome as well.

Risette

A Good Citizen
There are some contrast/black level issues with the game, IMO.

I remember there was one part where I entered a cave and suddenly it looked like someone jacked my brightness to 70-80. The blacks were grey and shit. Not the one with the lantern, but another one. Though the black level in the lantern one was pretty bad as well but not that bad.

It isn't my set because once I leave problem areas everything looks fine again..

Daigoro

Doc Evils said:
I need to do a speed run for the infiniti rocket launcher to make it easier for me.:/

do it an amature. you dont really need the launcher. if you have infinite ammo on your other weps, use 2 magnums (one for each character), and a sniper rifle for you.

to S rank, the speed is pretty easy. you just need to make sure your acuracy is decent and that you kill enough enemies. and dont die.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Any tips on getting the works?

I've been playing tons of co-op and I can't get enough. The game is far too short.

Neiteio

Kadey said:

I've been playing tons of co-op and I can't get enough. The game is far too short.
They practically have to release DLC for this game, if it's true RE6 might not been seen 'til 2017. :lol

Kadey said:
I did it on the Kimbo Slice guys, on Professional (so he doesn't die halfway through the combo). Have your teammate behind him, pop 'em in the head with a weak pistol a few times til he's stunned, Circle, Circle (partner, from behind), Circle:
Trophy/Achievement GET!

Keep in mind that the initiator of the combo is the one who's credited with it.

Man, Mercs is so much fun, it made me go out and buy a headset for PS3. Story Mode's fun, too, but I'm pretty sure the time I spend in Story will pale compared to Mercs.

Neiteio

Attack You said:
Man, Mercs is so much fun, it made me go out and buy a headset for PS3. Story Mode's fun, too, but I'm pretty sure the time I spend in Story will pale compared to Mercs.
I've been thinking about doing this myself, especially since my co-op partners always message me the instant a Mercs match begins and I, naturally, cannot help but jeopardize the match by accessing XMB to read it. I have the headset that came with Warhawk, and I haven't even tried it yet, but I have a feeling it's one of those sucky sets where the voice sounds incomprehensible to people on the other side. Is there a particular headset for the PS3 that's more or less cellphone quality? I think there was a good one that came out around the same time as SOCOM, wasn't there?

Sectus

Thrakier said:
No, I don't think the enviroments or the lighting is very good. Also for the textures. The engine is not bad, I would like it far more with a correct contrast setup I guess, but it's definitly not ground breaking. It's just "good". RE4 back then was the new reference. However, you observation seem less technical than mine. I didn't judge the art so far. ;)

What I just found:

http://boards.ign.com/teh_vestibule/b5296/177870705/r177889972/

"The 360 version has a noticeable green tint to everything, whereas the PS3 version has a more balanced contrast."

I don't know if it's true though, the demo seemed to be about the same. Just search for Resident Evil 5 + green tint, you will find some stuff if you still believe that it's just my TV or my imagination. ;)

Obviously, it depends also on your TV settings. If you crush your blacks by default with a low brightness or FULL RGB you may not notice the green tint. That however is not an option for me. ;)

Or check this image...

929198_20090312_790screen004.jpg

Green. Not black.
I have noticed a few areas in the game has a very subtle tint to them, like the first village areas has this bright yellow/orange glow to them. The mines has a subtle green/blue tint, I think that's intentional, and it's also rather subtle. Most of the areas in the game have various post processing effects which gives them a rather unique look.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2009/03/13/biohazard5_versus_mode/2132377365/ - Here's one of the other Versus mode screenshots which was released, and you can see there's no strong green tint here. You're really exaggarating the whole green tint when it's only really visible in a few areas in the game.

And when looking more closely to the screenshots I don't think it's related to the black levels at all. Just look at the screenshot you posted, it's not the dark areas which looks green, the dark in that screenshot is just pure black. It's everything else which has a green tint.

Colocho

Banned
Neiteio said:
I've been thinking about doing this myself, especially since my co-op partners always message me the instant a Mercs match begins and I, naturally, cannot help but jeopardize the match by accessing XMB to read it. I have the headset that came with Warhawk, and I haven't even tried it yet, but I have a feeling it's one of those sucky sets where the voice sounds incomprehensible to people on the other side. Is there a particular headset for the PS3 that's more or less cellphone quality? I think there was a good one that came out around the same time as SOCOM, wasn't there?
The Warhawk headset has never given me problems, it's pretty good, I suggest giving it a try before rushing out to get another one.

Neiteio

I'm not sure how I feel about the Versus mode, in particular Survivors where the goal is to kill other players. It's just that it feels so good working together as a team. Granted, you can still play in teams in two-on-two (which practically begs for Chris and Sheva versus
Midnight Wesker
and
Battle Suit Jill
). Still, it'll be weird directing the hurt toward thinking humans rather than the Majini horde.

Sectus

Here's another example of the whole tint spectacle:
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10062626.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10004207.jpg

The same character (spoiler blah blah blah) in 3 different environments. Colours looks *completely* different in each screenshot, and that's due to the different lighting and post processing. Especially in the final screenshot you can see the colours are just completely different than the first 2 ones. Everything is far brighter and generally just looks more "yellow". That's not a bug or anything, and doesn't affect the entire game. That's just an intentional artistic effect for that environment.

Papercuts

Neiteio said:
I'm not sure how I feel about the Versus mode, in particular Survivors where the goal is to kill other players. It's just that it feels so good working together as a team. Granted, you can still play in teams in two-on-two (which practically begs for Chris and Sheva versus
Midnight Wesker
and
Battle Suit Jill
). Still, it'll be weird directing the hurt toward thinking humans rather than the Majini horde.

I'm mainly wondering how it will work. I believe one of the new achievements/trophies says to defeat 100 players using physical attacks, which can only be done when a person is stunned. When you get shot in the game you just lose health and can keep moving, you don't get stunned like when you take a hatchet to the face. If they implement stunning from a shot, imagine a player as the next majini you shoot in the face, melee to the ground, then stomp on. It'd get pretty annoying unless there's some way to unstun yourself, I'd imagine.

Either way, the other part of Versus(competitive scores in mercenaries) will definitly be awesome.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
North American PS3 version just got the 1.02 patch. Finally, I can join games from Europe & Japan again.

gdt

Does anyone has tips for beating
Wesker
? I'm at the part where he's about to take off, and I can use a rocket launcher. I have to turn off some lights etc etc etc.

neoism

gdt5016 said:
Does anyone has tips for beating
Wesker
? I'm at the part where he's about to take off, and I can use a rocket launcher. I have to turn off some lights etc etc etc.
watch

Neiteio

Kyouji said:
North American PS3 version just got the 1.02 patch. Finally, I can join games from Europe & Japan again.
I thought I was playing someone from Japan earlier this week? Must've been a fan of the language. And goddamn your avatar is distracting. I'd pay a pretty penny to play behind it in Mercs. You hear me, Capcom? CLAIRE IS BETTER THAN A LIGHT-GUN GAME!

I'm not sure if we should stop spoiler-tagging
Jill's
name, because while obvious if you look at the context clues, I'm sure someone will come in here having not finished the game, and it might ruin the reveal. Maybe they can look at the copious numbers of pics and avatars here and see the four-letter spoiler tags and not put two and two together...

Papercuts said:
I'm mainly wondering how it will work. I believe one of the new achievements/trophies says to defeat 100 players using physical attacks, which can only be done when a person is stunned. When you get shot in the game you just lose health and can keep moving, you don't get stunned like when you take a hatchet to the face. If they implement stunning from a shot, imagine a player as the next majini you shoot in the face, melee to the ground, then stomp on. It'd get pretty annoying unless there's some way to unstun yourself, I'd imagine.

Either way, the other part of Versus(competitive scores in mercenaries) will definitly be awesome.
Interesting tidbits about Versus Survivors I just typed up from the LE guide:

Characters have the following layouts, and may require Exchange Points to unlock:

• BSAA Chris (Default) = M92F, 3 Hand Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • BSAA Sheva (Default) = M92F, 5 Incendiary Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • BSAA Jill
    (5,000 points) = Px4, 5 Flash Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • Midnight Wesker
    (30,000 points) = H&K P8, 3 Hand Grenades, 3 Proximity Mines
  • Safari Chris (8,000 points) = SIG P226, 5 Flash Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • Clubbin' Sheva (6,000 points) = AK-74, 3 Hand Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • STARS Chris (13,000 points) = SIG 556, 3 Incendiary Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • Tribal Sheva (15,000 points) = H&K MP5, 5 Flash Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • Battle Suit Jill
    (7,000 points) = VZ61, 3 Incendiary Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • STARS Wesker
    (50,000 points) = Samurai Edge, 3 Hand Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
BETTER START SAVING THOSE POINTS.

Also:

• One to four players, with one-on-one or two-on-two (say it in your best
    Wesker
    voice)
  • Majini-to-player damage reduced to 50%; player-to-Majini damage increased to 150%
  • The drop rate for loot such as ammo and herbs is 100%, ensuring access to supplies even if the existing map stock has been plundered or cut off
  • NO POINTS scored for killing monsters
  • Points are scored for EVERY HIT against human players; 50 points are lost for every hit received; killing another player earns you another 3,000 points, while dying subtracts 1,000; your score cannot drop below 0
  • Hits from different weapons at different ranges earn different points (i.e. shooting someone with the shotgun at 1.5 to 6 meters will net you 500 points, as opposed to 200 points for a hit at 6-9 meters or 1,000 for 0-1.5)
  • A 50% damage and score increase is added for headshots
  • Special melee moves can be performed on players being grappled by an enemy
  • Performing a melee move on a player frozen by nitrogen rounds will NOT shatter them; you cannot freeze teammates
  • You can give items to a teammate without them having a free slot, so long as they have ammo of that type and it's not at the maximum threshold
  • And, of course, additional weapons such as the grenade launcher are scattered around slightly modified arenas

The other mode, Slayers, is not simply a competitive Mercenaries, either. The balance for damage taken/given has been recalibrated, with handicaps applied as well. But let's save that discussion for another time!

Papercuts

Neiteio said:
Awesome stuff

Oh wow, I didn't know the characters had load outs. I thought I heard everyone started off with a basic gun and had to find weapons on the map, unless that was something else.

Now I'm somewhat happy for the delay, a lot more time to gain exchange points in mercenaries. :lol

Vitten

HOLY SHIT to
Ndesu
on professional solo.

Whoever programmed this deserves to be castrated and then shoved his own balls down his throat.
His
plagas
take forever to kill and you have to do it three fucking times, there's constant random QTEs which sometimes only flash for a split second and you're pretty much screwed if you miss even one, then there's your gun that keeps overheating even when tapping the fire button and worst of all are those ASSHOLE RESPAWNING MAJINIS firing arrows and molotov cocktails from the background constantly picking away at my health. AAAAHHHH !!

Took me 50 retries to finally nail the SOB. I'll never do that again.

Top Bottom