• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Thrakier

Dyno said:
I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull the Reading Comprehension Card on you son.

First off I didn't call anyone an idiot. I also stated that there are minor differences but they are on a level so small that they aren't an issue.

That they are an issue with YOU says more about you than the game.

Why are you so harsh? I don't think that you are the one to judge if someone is allowed to be bothered by a framerate below 30. If it doesn't bother you, that's fine. I don't blame you for this. So please stop blaming me for not liking it. For me it's a big fat minus.

Thrakier

Neiteio said:
No, it's not a fact. Thrakier, I cannot even begin to describe how off that comparison was. It's like they were using a different build. I have noticed one instance where the framerate stuttered for a splitsecond -- one instance -- when someone disconnected during an online game. That was it. The game is smooth throughout, there's no choppiness when turning around looking at things up close or far away, no choppiness in the heat of battle, whether you're playing single-player, online or splitscreen. No screen tearing at 720p OR 1080p on the PS3 version. The image is sharp and stable. In fact, I recall one Eurogamer comparison shot that made the white divots on Chris' machete sheath look smudgy on the PS3 version. Well in the actual game you can clearly see each and every white divot, sharply defined up close and far away. Something in that comparison was off.

I'll tell you what. Rent the PS3 version. Surely you could spare $5 in the name of science. Might help you decide to buy the version whose controller and online you prefer. Until then, stop slamming Capcom's work.

It's not like Eurogamer are the only ones claiming that the framerate in the PS3-version is off...whatever, believe what you want, it's your precious game. I don't like it on 360 and on PS3 it's even worse. My opinion.

BTW, it's not like the PS3 demo had problems with stuttering. Not so much. It's just that the framerate is lower. It feels less responsive and somewhat sluggish. Think of GTA, it's the same there. Maybe you won't notice it if you didn't play the 360-version all the time before. Howoever, Eurogamer clearly states that they compared review codes and there is no reason for me not to believe them. There are people out there who won't notice a difference between the feeling of 27FPS and 30FPS.

somnific

rdellw said:
That'll be my problem then i think, i saved both files on the same memory card, haha, dident think they'd override.

i don't think you lost your save. to continue where you left off while solo, just use the chapter select-- if you're still on your first playthrough it should only reveal the chapters you have access to, so select the last one.

could be wrong, but worth checking if you don't want to re-do chapters.

rdellw said:
Meh fuck it, i'll devote a day to getting through it all again, but damn it sucks of capcom to only allow one savefile this time.
Check the chapter select, if you've got the same loadout you probably have the levels opened.

Neiteio

Thrakier said:
Why are you so harsh? I don't think that you are the one to judge if someone is allowed to be bothered by a framerate below 30. If it doesn't bother you, that's fine. I don't blame you for this. So please stop blaming me for not liking it. For me it's a big fat minus.
I think he's bothered because you accused him of something he didn't say, and because you're fixating on issues nobody else notices save for a few, and for them there's a separate thread you can enjoy. It begins to feel like you're trying to drag down the game for whatever reason when you keep repeating the same tired points about something that obviously won't change and that for most of us isn't there, which begs the question, Why torture yourself obsessing over this? Seems a tad masochistic. And man, if you and your sixth sense are like this about the virtually identical versions of RE5, you must've been really fun when RE4 was ported. Goddamn.

And sorry, I don't know what to tell you if you don't believe my assessment of Eurogamer's analysis. All I know is I can see in crystal-clear detail what they made look smudgy, and that my buddy and I can nail an SS rank on Prison at its most intense and never once feel the controls are anything less than completely responsive.

The fact of the matter is the game looks beautiful; sorry if you can't see that with your Dr. Manhattan vision. This whole debate is like scrutinizing the dome of the Sistene Chapel for flyspecks. Completely missing the point.

fernoca

Oh come on Thrakier!.. :p
"The game is boring"
"The visuals sucks"
"There's blue tint"
"There's green tint"
"Co-op sucks"
"RE4 is better"
"Framerate problems"
"Green tint"
"Green tint"
"Sound sucks"
"Green tint"
"Green tint"

I mean..noone is forcing you to play that dreadful game.. :p

Maybe is just me, but when I get bored, don't like the visuals of a game (among other things)..I just stop playing it...but I'm weird like that.

LiK

fernoca said:
"The game is boring"
"The visuals sucks"
"There's green tint"
"Co-op sucks"
"RE4 is better"
"Framerate problems"
"Green tint"
"Green tint"
"Sound sucks"
"Green tint"
"Green tint"

Maybe is just me, but when I get bored, don't like the visuals of a game (among other things)..I just stop playing it...but I'm weird like that.

well there you go :)

fernoca

ShinAmano said:
Wouldn't the most efficient way to earn point be playing Mercs? About 5 min and 1500 points...
Well I suck at Merceneries..which is weird considering I was decent in RE4 and quite good in P.N.03...

The key is just to extend the combo..
Look for ways to kill enemies faster (headshots, explosions) while keeping in mind that the higher the combo, the less time you have to extend it. Try to find places were enemies get together and/or go together, because by running around looking for Majini..you're just losing time. Talking about time, remember that there are hidden clocks during the stages that extend the time limit..so the more time, the more kills.

Daigoro

fernoca said:
Well I suck at Merceneries..which is weird considering I was decent in RE4 and quite good in P.N.03...

The key is just to extend the combo..
Look for ways to kill enemies faster (headshots, explosions) while keeping in mind that the higher the combo, the less time you have to extend it. Try to find places were enemies get together and/or go together, because by running around looking for Majini..you're just losing time. Talking about time, remember that there are hidden clocks during the stages that extend the time limit..so the more time, the more kills.

huh? thats not true.

Prine

Banned
fernoca said:
"The game is boring"
"The visuals sucks"
"There's blue tint"
"There's green tint"
"Co-op sucks"
"RE4 is better"
"Framerate problems"
"Green tint"
"Green tint"
"Sound sucks"
"Green tint"
"Green tint"

Some people have this annoying habit of repeating themselves, only because no one is listening.

Let him be.

fernoca

Daigoro said:
huh? thats not true.
Weird..At least it seemed that way..it sure was in P.N.03 (and TheClub which was similar too)..

According to the guide, it seems you get a 10-seconds window with every kill during a combo..basically you have to kill more, to extend the 10 seconds window as much as you can.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
TChirath said:
Here are popular methods of making money and getting points that people have found so far:

Without Infinite Ammo --

1. 3-1 beginning (~$11,000 per 5 minutes, no points)
2. 2-3 (2000 points per 7 minutes on veteran, no $$)
3. 4-1 (~$35,000 + 2000 points per 20 minutes on veteran)

With Infinite Ammo --

1. 4-1 (~$35,000 + 2000 points per 15 minutes on veteran)
2. 5-1 ($12,500 + 2000 points per 7 minutes on veteran)
3. 5-2 hallway ($12,500 per 2 minutes, no points)
4. 6-2 (2000 points per 4 minutes on veteran, little $$)

5-1 professional is my favorite level to run with infinite rocket. If you only need money, 5-2 hallway is the fastest. If you need both, 5-1 is probably the most efficient since points are harder to collect especially if you plan on buying infinite ammo for everything.

I'm guessing all these people hunting for money are on PS3? If you're on 360 why not do the rotten egg glitch?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Thrakier said:
It's not like Eurogamer are the only ones claiming that the framerate in the PS3-version is off...whatever, believe what you want, it's your precious game. I don't like it on 360 and on PS3 it's even worse. My opinion.

BTW, it's not like the PS3 demo had problems with stuttering. Not so much. It's just that the framerate is lower. It feels less responsive and somewhat sluggish. Think of GTA, it's the same there. Maybe you won't notice it if you didn't play the 360-version all the time before. Howoever, Eurogamer clearly states that they compared review codes and there is no reason for me not to believe them. There are people out there who won't notice a difference between the feeling of 27FPS and 30FPS.
It may just be placebo but I find the PS3 demo levels look and run better in the final game. As good as the 360 demo in both fields IMO.

There are really no noticeable drops aside from online lag and a slight stutter when killing 3+ enemies with one bullet. And if GTA4 is "the same there".. I noticed the framerate issues in GTA4 PS3 before I even opened my GTA4 360 version last year. It's nowhere near that bad.

Though if you hate the game I wonder why you care about either version..

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
zombieshavebrains said:
I'm guessing all these people hunting for money are on PS3? If you're on 360 why not do the rotten egg glitch?

Other way around, IIRC.

I think I must be one of the few to upgrade all my weapons...without using Pro mode at all. Ah, well, that leaves many more points for the eventual versus mode.

Ridley327

zombieshavebrains said:

Technically speaking, you can do the egg glitch on any version of the game, but only the 360 lets you do it locally and by yourself. So to speak.

I beat this yesterday on Normal (solo) and I'm planning on going through this on Veteran with my brother, but my initial reaction is that it's a very good but very, very surprisingly flavorless and seems to lack in impact. Let's see what multiple playthroughs can do to try and fix that.

Thrakier

Neiteio said:
I think he's bothered because you accused him of something he didn't say, and because you're fixating on issues nobody else notices save for a few, and for them there's a separate thread you can enjoy. It begins to feel like you're trying to drag down the game for whatever reason when you keep repeating the same tired points about something that obviously won't change and that for most of us isn't there, which begs the question, Why torture yourself obsessing over this? Seems a tad masochistic. And man, if you and your sixth sense are like this about the virtually identical versions of RE5, you must've been really fun when RE4 was ported. Goddamn.

He didn't use the word "idiot" but what he said could be pretty much summed up as "you are stupid, you are seeing things which aren't there". It's his tone that was wrong.
My answers were not a repetition but more like an answer to people who are claiming that my setup is wrong or something else like that. This is just not the truth. So I had to proof my point and therefore the repetition starts. Sometimes I just did what YOU asked for (show me screens, show me youtube vids etc.).

The thing that someone like me is motivated to post in a thread like this comes from huge disappointment. Look for example what happend in the R2 thread. This forum is not only here to post hype stuff but also to express if you didn't like something. And if you name facts and get called out for that, it's not nice. You surely don't need a sixth sense to spot a framerate below 30 for example.

Vitten

xero273 said:
If you do 6-2 on pro, you get 2500 every three minutes with infinite rocket launcher

5-1 pro is better I think. To get S-ranking and 2500 points on 6-2 pro you need to take your time to kill black blobs or your 'ennemies routed' ranking will suck and bring you down to an A-ranking and only 2000 points.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
can people stop quoting Thrakier? It makes it harder to ignore him.

Neiteio

Thrakier, I think you've established you're thoroughly disappointed with the game, for reasons only you can see and that surely must exist because you're special. Is there anything else you'd like to contribute to the discussion? Will you be okay?

Anyway, I played online campaign co-op for the first time last night. Brilliant stuff. I warmed up with 1-1 and 1-2 on Veteran, two stages I consistently enjoy due to the sharp contrast between sunlight and darkness, as well as grisly details like the Judas goat and the shrine of candles and skulls. RE5's beginning is masterful, both the opening cutscenes and, especially, the glowering stares of the Majini on your way into town. I took a detour through the back alley and saw a new scripted event, of a man struggling as two Majini dragged him away. And my partner died on the battle in Public Assembly, at which point I saw a cutscene of the Majini stomping and stabbing her from her point of view. I'm still noticing new stuff despite fervent replays, so that's good.

I also fully upgraded the H&K P8 for its fast rate of fire and piercing power. My buddy will use it as Sheva, while I wield the L. Hawk as my small gun of choice. Once I finish Veteran I'll be off to Professional, and judging at the difference between Normal and Veteran (faster Majini, with grapples and face-huggers that drain twice as much health), I suspect the leap from Veteran to Professional will be impressive. I'm half-dreading it, half-anticipating!

pollo

Banned
Great game. Just been watching my roomate and his girlfriend play it together on coop.

I'm probably going to play some single player next week,

Thrakier

Neiteio said:
Thrakier, I think you've established you're thoroughly disappointed with the game, for reasons only you can see and that surely must exist because you're special. Is there anything else you'd like to contribute to the discussion? Will you be okay?

I'm not special. Eurogamer isn't special either. RE Horror isn't special. Many people complaining about the same stuff I did aren't special either. Please stop trying to make some kind of "weirdo" out of me just because you don't share my opinion. That's not fair.

Also, to contribute something positive: I really do like the beginning of the fifth chapter. That's some nice RE-feeling right there. I think what made me really upset was that 0815-chase sequence and the boring swamp section after it.

Ridley327

Although I think that there's a lot of nitpicking on his part, I don't think Thrakier is out of line expressing his disappointment with the game, both major issues and minor quibbles. For a game that is ending up as wildly divisive as RE5 has, I don't see why both sides can't be taken in stride and actually discussed without resorting to immediate dismissal.

And for the record, the audio is pretty crappy, as far as the 360 version is concerned. It's probably not an issue on the PS3 since Capcom has been pretty consistent about offering linear PCM audio for their games on the platform, but there are tons of issues that I noticed in my playthrough, including the jarring cutscene audio where the music is of a clearly higher sample rate than anything else occurring at that point. It's really disappointing since RE4 was such a great game when it came to the overall audio experience (especially because of how well it did the positional aspects on lowly Pro Logic II, making it a pretty vital gameplay component; PS2 version obviously excluded :D ).

neoism

What is the real total of money needed to max everything! I'm pretty sure I've had more than 900k and I still have a lot of weapons to up!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
neoism said:
What is the real total of money needed to max everything! I'm pretty sure I've had more than 900k and I still have a lot of weapons to up!
I think it's around 900k, actually.

cvxfreak

As frustrating as negative posts may be, remember that negative, but unprovocative comments are allowed in this thread. Says so in the first post. I think some of you may be a little bit unfair to Thrakier.

Don't get me wrong, I hate his posts too, but they're really not bad at all in that flaming/trolling sort of way. :lol

Ridley327

neoism said:

It's a little bit more than 1 million; 1.2 million would be the safest bet, taking other purchases like grenade launcher ammo, the vests and sprays into account.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Wow, professional is insane.

One Shovel/bottle/wrench hit =dying, and your dying bar goes down FAST :lol.

After a bit of experimentation so far, I would suggest shotguns for Pro runs, the Magnum's are fine, but the Shotguns give a lot more crowd control/knockback.

Neiteio

Ridley327 said:
And for the record, the audio is pretty crappy, as far as the 360 version is concerned. It's probably not an issue on the PS3 since Capcom has been pretty consistent about offering linear PCM audio for their games on the platform, but there are tons of issues that I noticed in my playthrough, including the jarring cutscene audio where the music is of a clearly higher sample rate than anything else occurring at that point. It's really disappointing since RE4 was such a great game when it came to the overall audio experience (especially because of how well it did the positional aspects on lowly Pro Logic II, making it a pretty vital gameplay component; PS2 version obviously excluded :D ).
I never considered the sound might be different between the 360 and PS3 versions. The game's sample rate never changes on the PS3 version; it sounds consistently great, and I never have to change the volume between cutscenes and gameplay. The only place where the sound sounded "off" in the PS3 version is the song on the credits, which came off a bit flat. (A shame, too, because Pray is a beautiful song. Is there an instrumental version available? It played on the direct-feed TGS '08 trailer.)

On the topic of being "special" to see these issues, I'll say this, at the risk of feeding Thrakier. I saw Eurogamer's article on how the PS3 version was "lacking." I saw the screens, the footage, and I saw what they were talking about, the most striking example being the smudgy details on Chris' machete sheath. But then I got the game, supposedly the exact same code as what they examined, and I saw NONE of the problems. The machete sheath, for instance, was crisp and clear with every white divot clearly defined. And many others have shared my experience. So in the end, all of these graphical deficencies Thrakier's getting hung up on are a moot point to me. He has the right to whine about them here, and that's fine. I just hope he understands that what I'm physically seeing is DIFFERENT from what I saw on Eurogamer's feature. I don't have the problems he's mentioning. The framerate's solid, the game is fully responsive, the sound is as consistent as any game, and I can clearly make out every fine detail, in colors natural and unaffected.

If there are any audiovisual deficiencies, they're trivial and easily overlooked. This is easily one of the best-looking console games to date. I'm simply blown away by this engine, and I'm hopeful they'll use it to crank out an RE6 sooner rather than later. Eight years is too much!

Davey Cakes

Dyno said:
Another cannot be obtained playing single. It has to be shot from the boat and Sheva won't do it.
Nope. It can be shot in SP. I hit it from all the way at the starting dock.

Of course, it was probably the most impressive sniping job that I've done in the game. :D

Erebus

kamorra said:
So why does my game almost always freeze for a split second while using the Hydra? I'm playing the PS3 version.

Hmm, I'm using Hydra a lot but haven't noticed anything like this. Perhaps you mean the drop in frame rate when you shoot a bunch of Majinis right in front of you?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Rash said:
Nope. It can be shot in SP. I hit it from all the way at the starting dock.

Of course, it was probably the most impressive sniping job that I've done in the game. :D
I did it with the S75. That was a lot of fun with that thing's crappy scope. I used the same gun for the distant one in 6-1. Those two have greatly improved my sniping abilities.

alba

Little is the new Big
haha, me and dunpeal just broke the last mission

we used the rocket launcher, died a few times and then the third time i went under the lava i dont really know how and right after, we started again, two rockets and we skipped the whole fight and went straight to the credits :lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
alba said:
haha, me and dunpeal just broke the last mission

we used the rocket launcher, died a few times and then the third time i went under the lava i dont really know how and right after, we started again, two rockets and we skipped the whole fight and went straight to the credits :lol

Something of that effect happened to me while I was playing as Sheva in SP. After the rock collapses and when he starts making his way towards Chris, I just shot a few RL rounds at him and he died. I tried doing it again in a later game and it didn't work that time. Must have been a glitch.

alba

Little is the new Big
Kadey said:
Something of that effect happened to me while I was playing as Sheva in SP. After the rock collapses and when he starts making his way towards Chris, I just shot a few RL rounds at him and he died. I tried doing it again in a later game and it didn't work that time. Must have been a glitch.

Most likely, quite funny though :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm well on my way to acing the entire game. The only achievements I have left are Maxed Out and They Belong In A Museum.

I had a session where I played what was essentially 2/3s of the game in a random order in Amateur mode in order to get all S-ranks. It allowed me to (finally!) finish upgrading the Handcannon, only to realise that I needed two thousand more bonus points before I was able to unlock infinite ammo. Luckily, I still needed to finish two more chapters with an S in order to unlock the last figure. :lol

I've now played the game for, as the game-clock tells me, and that doesn't count a looooooooot of the time you spend dieing and restarting, over thirty-five hours. All the time not exploiting the game once. :D

The game is not as good as RE4. But, to me, that's like saying that Twilight Princess wasn't as good as Ocarina of Time. Both are absolutely top-tier games, but one just has that irrefutable classic, genre-defining quality to it, that is very difficult to match. In the end, I do miss the feeling of adventure that RE4 gave (someone mentioned that RE4 is more of an action-adventure game, whereas RE5 is more a straight action game. I'm tend to agree with this).

There are a lot of other little things that RE4 does better than RE5, and visa-versa. However, over the two weeks I've owned the game, over the hours and hours I've spent (and will continue to spend) on this game, I'm happy to say that the game lived up to my expectations, and was a damn fun experience. Thanks to Capcom, and everyone involved in making the game, if you happen to read this.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Metroidvania said:

After a bit of experimentation so far, I would suggest shotguns for Pro runs, the Magnum's are fine, but the Shotguns give a lot more crowd control/knockback.

Or infinite rocket launcher or Gatling Gun :p Unless you're going for all S ranks. But ranks in this game really have no worth for some reason.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Metroidvania said:

yep, but i didn't bother with shotguns I was going for straight kills.

I jus beat it today with my boy!

*shout out goes out*

Captain N said:
I do know that it adds the multiplayer trophies to your list when just looking at your own trophies now.

yeah I just noticed that earlier..kinda sucks that they add these trophies to a product I don't even have..maybe they will release it for free ;)

TL4E

Am I the only one that was unaware of Wesker's hold-right-stick move? :lol

It blew my mind the first time I saw it!!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Rez said:
The game is not as good as RE4. But, to me, that's like saying that Twilight Princess wasn't as good as Ocarina of Time. Both are absolutely top-tier games, but one just has that irrefutable classic, genre-defining quality to it, that is very difficult to match. In the end, I do miss the feeling of adventure that RE4 gave (someone mentioned that RE4 is more of an action-adventure game, whereas RE5 is more a straight action game. I'm tend to agree with this).

There are a lot of other little things that RE4 does better than RE5, and visa-versa. However, over the two weeks I've owned the game, over the hours and hours I've spent (and will continue to spend) on this game, I'm happy to say that the game lived up to my expectations, and was a damn fun experience. Thanks to Capcom, and everyone involved in making the game, if you happen to read this.

I don't really think RE5 is a top tier game. This entry in the series is pretty forgettable in terms of gameplay experience. Good game, especially closer to the end. Graphics are definitely better in the beginning though...

Dunno, but the game just feel so... disjointed to me. And the inventory system is just out to punish gamers and is all out clunky. I mean, I don't even have the option of dropping an item from sheva's inventory in Single Player? That's bad game design right there.

Top Bottom