• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You need some of the RE guns Alex. There's bound to be an RE5 one. My favorite so far is the Leon Desert Eagle. I'm going to paint my SE all black.

o6fpc6.jpg

2ahy16p.jpg

ml37o3.jpg

bga7ug.jpg

fn5mo7.jpg

Neiteio

Fyrus said:
Man, I love chapter 4. Probably my most favorite part of the game.
I think it might be my favorite as well.

From a design standpoint, I like the sheer scale of the labyrinth and ziggurats, the caves so vast bats look like specks in the distance, the sunlight shining down, the waterfalls and rock formations, the exotic touches like burning idols and solar lenses, and the antiquity of architecture that has stood the test of time. Along with Chapter 1 and Chapter 6 (6-2 especially), I'd say Chapter 4 has the strongest sense of place. Even in split-screen, which is how I played Chapter 4 the first time, it looks stunning.

Chapter 4 also has some of the most varied gameplay. Burning balls of twine, QTE escapes, running past solar flares, assembling keys (the emblems), three floors of mirror puzzles, decoy treasure chests, staircase mazes, even the return of the bat-silkworm boss, which drops the Soul Gem (10,000 N) if defeated or dies an especially cool death if you simply run away up the stairs (the latter I found by accident on an S-rank speed run).

The progression makes sense, too. You journey into the caves, arrive at the ruins of an ancient village, make your way past multiple traps to the pyramid, unseal the gate and solve the mirror puzzles to power the elevator and find the Ndipaya's great secret, the
Stairway to the Sun flowers
. The closer you get to the tribe's most sacred ground (and one of the most important areas in the series), the more elaborate the security mechanisms. Very cool.

I briefly mentioned 6-2. I really like the atmosphere of the ship bridge. The build-up to the boss is great. Tension is created by the steady thump-thump-thump of the ship buckling under pressure, and by the glimpses of the creature growing bigger outside the windows; if you watch long enough you'll even see tentacles break off and slither up the window. The first
hallway tentacle attack
caught me off-guard and gave me a Verdugo-style jump-scare, probably because I was still tense from the QTE escape and the ship shuddering. I was better prepared when the
Base Majini feigned death
, thanks to my love of BioShock. The revelations made by Spencer's diary, the glow of the control room and the look of spotlights against a light-polluted night sky were spot-on as well. And the best part? Seeing the four brightly burning bulbs of the boss towering above you. The lighting and use of color there is immaculate.

xero273

Vitten said:
5-1 pro is better I think. To get S-ranking and 2500 points on 6-2 pro you need to take your time to kill black blobs or your 'ennemies routed' ranking will suck and bring you down to an A-ranking and only 2000 points.

As long as you get a B for enemies routes, you still get overall ranking of S on that stage. When the boss fight starts just shoot one of the orange things with the rocket and black blobs will come down. Kill those and then go for the other orange thing and kill the black blobs that come down. By now the boss's weak spot should show and you can end the stage. The stage can take 2 minutes and 45 seconds or max is 3 minutes. I never time myself on a 5-1 run so I don't know if that is shorter.

Neiteio

I just found the lyrics to Pray, the song that plays over the credits. I was able to make out half of it before, but now that I understand the whole thing all I can say is: ;__;

When dark days came to us.
We found no haven or escape.

All our prayers go unanswered, to take away this fear within.
Our screams shake this tear-stained land.

Our souls have been stripped bare.
Can madness be the only Cure?

Even death is no respite from all this pain, our worldly plight.
When will we see heaven's light?

I think of you whenever a bell tolls.
If I tell your tale, will this pain cease?

For I pray for tempest tossed, lost souls.
Eternal sleep is where you find true peace.

*runs away crying*

We need an RE5 music thread. Why is everyone not worshipping the greatest soundtrack ever? (Or at least, the greatest RE soundtrack.)

Ridley327

Not that it's any of my business, but did your copy of RE5 bring you chocolates, buy you dinner and expensive champagne, take you home via a rented limo and kissed you goodnight? Because damn.

:D

Is it true that the file in copy protected? If so, I am screwed. I am playing this on my old ps3 hard drive because my new 500 gb is acting up. Looks like the 50 hours of play I put into this is screwed.

On a happy note, this is my 200th post. Wahoo. Party time :p

JB1981

This game has moments of really good cheesy drama.
The scene after you tear that thing off Jill was really good stuff.

Neiteio

Ridley327 said:
Not that it's any of my business, but did your copy of RE5 bring you chocolates, buy you dinner and expensive champagne, take you home via a rented limo and kissed you goodnight? Because damn.

:D
Yes it did.
No it didn't
. I haven't been this enthused about a game in ages. Super Mario Galaxy came close, but I didn't verbalize it. At the end of the day, I think there are two things about RE4-style Resident Evil that just nails it for me. The gameplay, and the world the game exists in. In the world's case there are rough spots here and there, bits I'd change or flesh out more (some wind in the marshlands would be nice), but the overall feel is great. And of course the gameplay means RE4 and RE5 will never get old. They made a half-dozen games in the old RE style, so here's hoping they make more like RE4 and RE5.

Plus, I don't see any point in posting hate. I do have problems with RE5. But I find it problematic characterizing gaming as a medium for the bitter, jaded and depressed, even if NeoGAF is a haven for them. :D

Christopher

Neiteio said:
I just found the lyrics to Pray, the song that plays over the credits. I was able to make out half of it before, but now that I understand the whole thing all I can say is: ;__;

*runs away crying*

We need an RE5 music thread. Why is everyone not worshipping the greatest soundtrack ever? (Or at least, the greatest RE soundtrack.)

...because it's not the greatest RE soundtrack???

Neiteio

Christopher said:
...because it's not the greatest RE soundtrack???
Just my opinion. For most, RE2 and RE3 will probably prevail on this front. Personally, I'd put "Wind of Madness," "Deep Ambition," "An Emergency," "A Big Despair," "Sad But True," "Majini IX," "Assault Fire" and "Pray" against just about anything else from the series.

By the way, I'm happy I was right when I said the music in the RE5 trailers was the game's actual music and not stock music. One thing, though. The first of the two TGS '08 trailers had an instrumental version of Pray. Is this version available anywhere?

Kard8p3

Neiteio said:

*runs away crying*

I can't believe I skipped the credits. This song is amazing and it's what put RE5's soundtrack above all the other RE's for me.

Neiteio

Kard8p3 said:
I can't believe I skipped the credits. This song is amazing and it's what put RE5's soundtrack above all the other RE's for me.
You can always rewatch the credits in the Library. If you want to download a high-quality mp3 of the song, go HERE, right-click "Download Now" and click "Save Target As." The site downloads very quickly. Also, if you liked the song that played during the battle with
Wesker
in the hangar bay, where Sheva tells you to turn out the lights, that one's called "Wind of Madness," while the song that plays during the very final battle is "Deep Ambition." The Aliens-esque song that plays on the first two Uroboros battles is "An Emergency," and the song that plays during the battle against Excella's transformation is "A Big Despair." Enjoy!

Status update, over 60 something hours put in. I have beat the game like 5 times, on normal 3 times (two were speed runs) and veteran twice. Well actually I am almost finished with the second veteran run, should be done tonight. I am playing it with a friend and we are doing a find all emblems/treasure run. After that I will do pro mode, no infinite ammo.

I am still upgrading guns, I am not using exploits, only going to do it the right way. I am not looking for the locations of the emblems or treasures, again all me through exploration.

My time is split with campaign and mercenaries. I have hardly played Mercs in dup mode, only a few hours, most of my time on that mode is playing solo. Moving up the ranks, I am in the top 100 in a few stages.

After pro mode I will have my final thoughts on the game written out in a review.

PRO Mode from beginning.. unlimited ammo allowed for whatever weapons you have unlocked..

Who's up for it!!!!!!! (tonight.. 1 hour or so from now.) - send me a Friends Req (Gamer card in profile) if so.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Neiteio said:
I think it might be my favorite as well.

From a design standpoint, I like the sheer scale of the labyrinth and ziggurats, the caves so vast bats look like specks in the distance, the sunlight shining down, the waterfalls and rock formations, the exotic touches like burning idols and solar lenses, and the antiquity of architecture that has stood the test of time. Along with Chapter 1 and Chapter 6 (6-2 especially), I'd say Chapter 4 has the strongest sense of place. Even in split-screen, which is how I played Chapter 4 the first time, it looks stunning.

Chapter 4 also has some of the most varied gameplay. Burning balls of twine, QTE escapes, running past solar flares, assembling keys (the emblems), three floors of mirror puzzles, decoy treasure chests, staircase mazes, even the return of the bat-silkworm boss, which drops the Soul Gem (10,000 N) if defeated or dies an especially cool death if you simply run away up the stairs (the latter I found by accident on an S-rank speed run).

The progression makes sense, too. You journey into the caves, arrive at the ruins of an ancient village, make your way past multiple traps to the pyramid, unseal the gate and solve the mirror puzzles to power the elevator and find the Ndipaya's great secret, the
Stairway to the Sun flowers
. The closer you get to the tribe's most sacred ground (and one of the most important areas in the series), the more elaborate the security mechanisms. Very cool.

I briefly mentioned 6-2. I really like the atmosphere of the ship bridge. The build-up to the boss is great. Tension is created by the steady thump-thump-thump of the ship buckling under pressure, and by the glimpses of the creature growing bigger outside the windows; if you watch long enough you'll even see tentacles break off and slither up the window. The first
hallway tentacle attack
caught me off-guard and gave me a Verdugo-style jump-scare, probably because I was still tense from the QTE escape and the ship shuddering. I was better prepared when the
Base Majini feigned death
, thanks to my love of BioShock. The revelations made by Spencer's diary, the glow of the control room and the look of spotlights against a light-polluted night sky were spot-on as well. And the best part? Seeing the four brightly burning bulbs of the boss towering above you. The lighting and use of color there is immaculate.
The scale is what really makes chapter 4 so great.
Once the pull-statue-chain thing is done and
you walk up that huge set of stairs...
Amazing moment, probably my favorite in the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
About to start my 5 hour run for the Infinite Rocket Launcher and I got a few questions before I begin:

1. How do you start a new game? Do you just go to Chapter Select and start from 1-1?

2. Where can you check your current total playtime?

3. Does the timer run when you're on your item organization screen, or only during play?

4. Does pausing stop the timer?

5. Are you allowed to have Infinite Ammo active for other weapons?

Thanks in advance.

Ridley327

Meh, I don't think I liked any of chapter 4. Seemed like the world's worst episode of Legends of the Hidden Temple, minus the spotty history lessons. I was honestly expecting to fight some sort of giant talking head by the end of it. Oh, what could have been :-(

Oh, and the
QTE hallway of doom
was really lame and felt like a missed opportunity.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Halycon said:
About to start my 5 hour run for the Infinite Rocket Launcher and I got a few questions before I begin:

1. How do you start a new game? Do you just go to Chapter Select and start from 1-1?
Pretty much. All you need to do is get the total time under 5 hours, so if you end up over that you can replay any segment to get a faster time and cut the total down.

When you select what chapter to play, it shows the time for that segment, chapter, and the total. I don't remember if the total will show until you beat the game or not.

3. Does the timer run when you're on your item organization screen, or only during play?
It only seems to track when you're playing a chapter, so that shouldn't.

Pretty sure, I once left it paused at the end of my S rank run and had it on pause for a good hour until I unpaused and finished, still got an S in time.

Yup.

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Halycon said:

Thanks in advance.
1.Yep, chapter select 1-1 = new game
2. The chapter select screen (it won't give you a total until you're finished, but you can add up each chapter total)
3. Only during play.
4. Not sure.
5. You're allowed infinite ammo, so knock yourself out.

The game works in such a way that when you beat a chapter, your play time gets saved. If you have already played through the game once on, for example, Normal, and your total play time is 6 hours, if you Chapter Select 2-1 on Normal, and beat it 20 minutes quicker than you did originally, then 20 mins is subtracted from your total, giving you a play time of 5:40mins.

In other words, you can chip away at your play time by picking random chapters and finishing them quicker than usual. I unlocked the inf ammo launcher when I beat 3-1 for this reason. ;)

Neiteio

Ridley327 said:
Meh, I don't think I liked any of chapter 4. Seemed like the world's worst episode of Legends of the Hidden Temple, minus the spotty history lessons. I was honestly expecting to fight some sort of giant talking head by the end of it. Oh, what could have been :-(

Oh, and the
QTE hallway of doom
was really lame and felt like a missed opportunity.
:lol :lol :lol

Love the "Legends of the Hidden Temple" comparison. The guys who'd jump out and seize the kids on that show used to scare me. Best game show ever!

But yeah, it's too bad you didn't get the same enjoyment out of Chapter 4 as Fyrus and I. For me it felt like Indiana Jones, which is awesome. I heaped enough praise on Chapter 4 on the last page, but I'd like to comment on one other bit that probably only I appreciate: the copious amounts of spiders.

Not the annoying little fuckers that leap up and hug you, but the harmless tarantulas the size of grapefruit that crawl on the walls and floor. As someone with a mild case of arachnophobia, their ubiquitous presence in the ruins creeped me out and made for some hilarious moments. Like in 4-2 when I dove into a cubby hole to dodge the sun lasers, and my splitscreen partner says "Look behind you." I quick-turn to see two spiders mere inches from Chris' face. O_O

Good times. And yes Fyrus, I agree: ascending the stairs on the pyramid is a money shot if there ever was one. I especially like the one in 4-2, with the red-hot mirrors on either side of the capstone.

Vitten

Halycon said:

Thanks in advance.

1. you don't really need to start a new game. You can redo the chapters you've already completed and each time you're faster the time will be knocked of your total time.

2. under 'records'

3. timer doesn't run during item organization screen , it does run of course during play.

4. yes.

5. yes.

It's a very easy challenge: on amateur/normal you can easily run passed most of the normal ennemies and make a straight dash to the doors. For overkill, you can stock up on rocket launchers by redoing 3-1 a few times and then take out the
Uroboros
bosses in one shot.
You can easily make it in under 3 hours if you don't hang around too much and always keep going to the next checkpoint.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Thanks to everyone who gave advice! It's gonna be a big help.

That chapter 4 post got me wondering how people feel about the chapters. Rank them guys.

For me its:

1. Chapter 5 - The start of this chapter is so classic RE, great throw back. Lickers, need I say more. It has three boss fights back to back to back some of which are the best in the game. It has some of the most imaginative set pieces, conveyor belt fight, spinning elevator shootout, and the most annoying one which is the licker invasion at the entrace to the temple. It ends with an epic Wesker and Jill fight. The story is at its best in this section as well.

2. Chapter 3 - This is where the game really came onto its own for me. The swamp area was unlike anything in the series. Having a section where you can free roam in a vehicle was also fresh and awesome, I wish it was even more open than it was. Tribal enemies are fantastic. The action ramps up in the oil rig and the timed escape onto the boat. Then you got a great setpiece where you Josh is driving the boat and you got to clear the way, awesome. Ends with an epic boss battle.

3. Chapter 4 - I loved how this location is unlike anything we have seen in RE before. I felt I entered Tomb raider or something. Again they went wild with ideas on some of these areas. I room where giant flaming balls come out. Huge laser beams blocking paths. The puzzle rooms. It was fresh, exciting, and really well made for co-op. Sadly you only get a repeat boss fight, no true one.

4. Chapter 6 - At this point the game was relying a but too much on the gun enemies, the fun imaginative setpieces are kind of gone, its more traditional enter the room and kill people type areas. The bosses though, hell yes, final uroboros, that whole section is fantastic. Wesker's final battle I enjoyed as well, his final form not as much as his human but still crazy epic shit.

5. Chapter 2 - It starts off too much like Chapter 1, no real interesting sections, just kill stuff that comes at you. But once you start going down into the tunnels then it starts to pick up. The end of 2-2 when you get that huge ass canyon area with the bat boss when the game really started to shine for me. Right after that you are in a very MGS type level, I loved it, even the Ndesu boss fight. It was from that point on when the game came onto its own for me.

6. Chapter 1 - Meh. I didn't care for much of anything here. Yeah the intro is pretty cool but everything was like a poor imitation of RE4. The public assembly area is no RE4 village. Nothing really happens here, just go through town areas and shoot things. The boss fight is well done at least.

neoism

Halycon said:

1. How do you start a new game? Do you just go to Chapter Select and start from 1-1?THIS

2. Where can you check your current total playtime? RECORDS

3. Does the timer run when you're on your item organization screen, or only during play? NO ONLY WHEN PLAYING> I HATE THAT YOUR STILL PALYING THE GAME IN THE MENUS
[/I]
4. Does pausing stop the timer?YES

5. Are you allowed to have Infinite Ammo active for other weapons?YES YOU HAVE TO FULLY UP GRADE THAT WEAPON AND TURN ON INFINITE AMMO

Thanks in advance.
I wasn't screaming/yelling, just used caps. Hope that helps

WTF BEATIN ABOUT 6 TIMES :((

KevinCow

Banned
Is there any reason people seem to be recommending the L. Hawk over the S&W M500? The M500 is almost twice as powerful (5000 vs. 3000), and while the faster reload speed and capacity don't really matter when you get infinite ammo. The L. Hawk has better piercing power (7 vs. 3), but the chances that you'll have more than three enemies lined up are pretty small.

I'm pretty happy with my Hydra, M500, Rocket Launcher setup. Hydra for close range, M500 for mid range, launcher for long range and bosses. I wish they had a Mercenaries mode that let you use your items from the game with infinite ammo. It's hard to go back to such unsatisfying weapons.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I got this the other day and it's very fun so far. Sheva isn't nearly as annoying as I thought she'd be. She does like to use a lot of ammo and herbs though. Also I'm not liking the inventory system either. Still, very fun. Up to 3-1.

Neiteio

KevinCow said:
Is there any reason people seem to be recommending the L. Hawk over the S&W M500? The M500 is almost twice as powerful (5000 vs. 3000), and while the faster reload speed and capacity don't really matter when you get infinite ammo. The L. Hawk has better piercing power (7 vs. 3), but the chances that you'll have more than three enemies lined up are pretty small.

I'm pretty happy with my Hydra, M500, Rocket Launcher setup. Hydra for close range, M500 for mid range, launcher for long range and bosses. I wish they had a Mercenaries mode that let you use your items from the game with infinite ammo. It's hard to go back to such unsatisfying weapons.
No, trust me, you want the L. Hawk.

Not only is it so shiny that it practically glows in sunlight (I noticed this at the port on 2-1), but it shoots as fast as a pistol, and there are lots of opportunities to pierce multiple opponents. There are many moments when Majini swarm through a door or fence opening, or stand on a catwalk or narrow passage (Chapters 5 and 6, ahoy!). This was useful on a recent replay of 4-1, on the upper level of the labyrinth with all the narrow passageways. And correct me if I'm mistaken, but the L. Hawk seems to penetrate the armor enemies occasionally wear. On the bulkhead gauntlet in 6-3, I downed every enemy I encountered with a single shot!

The only downside is, a fully upgraded infinite ammo L. Hawk makes the game too easy.

Oh, and I like MiamiWesker's idea of ranking the chapters. I want to complete my current playthrough before attempting this, though. I can say that the first time through, I thought Chapters 2 and 3 were the weakest, but playing through them again I'm appreciating them a lot more. It's going to be a tough call.

cvxfreak

Christopher said:
Apparently the guy who did Weskers voice thorugh 0-4 isn't the same one on RE5 however I like the new one a lot more way better.

CVX, 0 and 4 had the same Wesker actor

REmake and RE1 had different ones

UC and RE5 share the same one

I'm glad DC Douglass (UC, RE5) had UC before doing RE5. He did a considerably better job in RE5, probably because UC gave him the opportunity to break into the role.

Christopher said:
Apparently the guy who did Weskers voice thorugh 0-4 isn't the same one on RE5 however I like the new one a lot more way better.

Richard Waugh did Wesker for the most games, CV, Zero and RE4. This new guy started in UC.

mattso

Just got egg hunt and stop drop and roll (took forever to get this one)

Now I just need get 5 more s-ranks and finish upgrading

and then of course... play through the whole game for fun again :D

jax (old)

Banned
Gotta say, the more time I spend with the game post completion and the more mercenies I play the more favourably I look on this game. The visuals are outstanding,
Game mechanics are mostly solid. And when you're not worrying about Sheba becuase she has a souped up magnum, the game is really fun. And mercenwries is killer good.And the unlockabkes.... Nice nice nice

Buy this game if you're in the fence. So good.

Score upped to 9.5/10

I will pay for dlc extra outfits and more subgames. Even say a jill(Ada) type submission

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Wesker is still my favorite character but he feels a lot less badass thanks to the cliche they put upon him in the game.

bumpkin

Halycon said:
5. Are you allowed to have Infinite Ammo active for other weapons?YES YOU HAVE TO FULLY UP GRADE THAT WEAPON AND TURN ON INFINITE AMMO
This is true, but there is/was one caveat I didn't know about until I went to turn the option on; you have to "buy" it. That totally killed my buzz about maxing out all of the weapons when I realized I'd basically have to grind more to get enough exchange points to infinite-ize the bonus weapons. 20k apiece hurts.

...though this inconvenience hasn't stopped me. I want to turn this game upside down like I did RE4! :lol

Can I get someone to babysit me through Amateur or Normal on XBL? I've already played through the PS3 version. I just want to unlock Mercs. Keep in mind inf. ammo won't work if I host. I don't care where you start or finish, but I'll probably knock out all chapters in one sitting.

Tag's in profile. (Please don't post it in the thread.)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
MiamiWesker said:
I still need a golden egg to finish the egg collecting trophy. Is it always random when this egg shows up in the campaign?

It appears more often on harder difficulties. Just go to that island in 3-1 with all the chickens. Brown chickens are most likely to drop them. You can kill any unwanted chickens, black and white and just get on and off the boat to spawn them.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
MiamiWesker said:
I still need a golden egg to finish the egg collecting trophy. Is it always random when this egg shows up in the campaign?

The center island in 3-1 is the best place, just do it on pro & chase the chickens until one drops.

Davey Cakes

MiamiWesker said:
That chapter 4 post got me wondering how people feel about the chapters. Rank them guys.
1) Chapter 5
2) Chapter 4
3) Chapter 2
4) Chapter 3
5) Chapter 6
6) Chapter 1

1 is at the bottom just because it's so short. 3 and 6 are nearly tied, though. 6 gets points merely because I enjoyed 6-2's boss battle. Chapter 3-1 I never really liked, even on multiple playthroughs, but 3-2 and 3-3 make up for that.

Chapter 5's goodness is indisputable. The action is just the best, there. Not to mention the
lickers

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was getting worried about my time once I got to the last couple of boss fights since I was going for the 5 hours to get the Infinite RPG. Turns out I didn't have to because I finished it in 3:04. :lol Amateur with the Infinite L.Hawk is disgustingly easy.

Sectus

My chapter ranks.

Chapter 3
3-1 is probably the main reason for this. I loved the non-linear nature to the entire subchapter. Wetlands majini were one of the big positive surprises for me in the game, I barely saw them in trailers but I expected them to fight like the monks in RE4, and that was a very wrong expectation. I think this is where the game started to convince me that it's not only as fun as RE4, it's actually a lot more fun.

Chapter 2
I had a ton of fun with the demo, and this kinda feels like a big extended version of that. The dark cave and the canyon areas are definitely highlights for me. It's a shame this chapter had to end with the worst subchapter in the entire game. Overall, this chapter kinda feels like RE4+ and is a lot of fun. My only complaint is that it feels a bit odd in replays, using maxed out shotguns and assaut rifles makes it way too easy.

Chapter 4
Not sure what to specifically say. Some of the level design here was great and I really like the fights against all those wetlands majini. The one single puzzle in the game wasn't all too bad either, and at the very least results in a few laughs when playing coop (as one of you inevitably kills the other with the laser).

Chapter 5
I liked the gun majini when they were very first introduced, but I have to be honest and say they got a bit old quick. But still, it's a very fun chapter. 5-3 definitely makes the whole chapter a lot better.

Chapter 6
Overall, I think the gun majini was more fun in this chapter, but it has the drawback of being very very short. 6-1 is the only subchapter in the chapter which feels like it has the correct length. 6-2 is nothing more than a boss fight which is a big disappointment. 6-3 is too short too, but it can be excused considering the last big fight you have against majini and minibosses is awesome, and the first part of the Wesker boss fight is also a lot of fun.

Chapter 1
Not that I dislike this chapter, it's just quite simply way too short.

If mercenaries would be ranked somewhere, it would be above all of the story chapters. I'm having much more fun with mercenaries than I had expected.

Neiteio

I love these lists where people rank the chapters. Keep 'em coming! I don't feel like I can fairly rank them until I complete my current playthrough, so I'll join the fun later.

I will say this, though. While I think each and every stage has its moments of brilliance, the second and third chapters struck me as the weakest the first time through, probably because they're so grey and still (again, wind would've been nice). But playing through them again last night, there's a whole lot of awesomeness in there.

2-1 introduces a variety of new creatures and setpieces in quick succession: crossbow Majini, tripwires, dogs, Big Man Majini, flying BOWs and Chainsaw Majini, plus a suicidal truck driver, helicopter cover from Kirk, and two solid cases of Chris and Sheva splitting up to divide and conquer. Not bad, and the progression from harbor to sewers to slums feels complete. The ending cutscene, with Josh and Delta Team saving the day at the trainyard, is one of the game's better cutscenes (which is saying something, because the cutscenes are consistently great).

2-2 was a bit sketchier. The train station feels deader than dead, although to be fair, the stillness makes it all the more shocking when
packs of dogs and coyote come running out of nowhere
. I've only played the mines in single-player, and Sheva will shine the light where you need it if you walk slow and aim your gun to look around instead of moving the camera, but I find it easier to simply carry the light, dash through the mines, then set it down and fight as needed. It's easy to be blindsided in the dark, which keeps things interesting. Then the sunset up on the mountain looks so WARM, which I like, and which I think videogame sunsets seldom pull off without feeling artificial. Irving is a lot of fun here, and the boss at the end is awesome. A bat-silkworm hybrid... That pegged my monster meter all the way.

And I like 2-3. All of it. It's a nice bite-sized bit of action that's fun to pick up and play. Try targeting the Biker Majini at the front of the pack so he takes a spill off his bike and trips up everyone behind him. You can also shoot out the fuel tanks, and the side windows of the buses, and even projectiles flying through the air, just like on-foot missions. Maybe I'll hate 2-3 on Professional; Ndesu was perfectly killable on Veteran, but I can see where it could get harder. Either way, the level's a looker; the savannah at twilight has that romantic midsummer's night feel. Or it would be romantic if people weren't out to kill you!

3-1 felt terribly inert the first time I played it. At least at the beginning; once you start cutting surf on the hovercraft you start getting the sense of a refreshing breeze, and it's even more fun if you press the Run button to turbo-charge the hovercraft. Using the radar to make a beeline for the emblem locations streamlines the process greatly. I love the killer crocs, I love the tribal Majini, and I love the tributary passing through the jungle to the village. But alas, the level has no color!

3-2 has rain -- yay! -- and more crocs and not one but two Chainsaw Majini. But the best part is Josh. Co-op babysitting is a lot more fun than it sounds! Plus, the Josh cutscenes are some of my favorites. If you watch all of the cutscenes from when they meet Josh at the refinery up through Irving's transformation, you'll see some quality execution (and if you watch the "Jill sandwich" cutscene from REmake right afterward, RE5 will look Oscar-worthy by comparison!). The Metroid-style escape at the end was a nice little twist.

And finally, 3-3. First thing that comes to mind is Irving himself. Absolutely fantastic boss battle. According to the guide you don't need to use the turrets. If you're a sharpshooter you can nail the beastie's eye from afar, and if you're packing a shotty you can cleave through his tentacles with due diligence. So nobody's forcing anyone to use turrets. But the turrets are fun anyway. The missile launcher has cool lighting, and severing tentacles with the chain-gun has a satisfying pop. I like the look of the patrol boat's floodlights in the rain, too. Gunning Majini from the swiftboat earlier in the stage is also fun, if a tad over-the-top arcadey.

That turned out longer than I had expected (but took mere minutes to write). The point is, at first these chapters felt dull, and I still think they lacked the colors that made the other chapters pop, but they certainly have their moments. In the end, when I wrap my current Veteran playthrough, they may rank higher than before.

Top Bottom