• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finished Vet today. Going to max out a few more things, get Infinite Rocket Launcher, and S rank all the chapters before attempting Pro. I may spend some time with Mercs, it kind of clicked for me last night and I went from only being able to do well on Public Assembly (I only had that and the Mines unlocked) to unlocking 4 more stages and a character with one try on each stage. :lol

News Bot

Banned
I can't play RE4 after 5.

I've been recording the cutscenes all day. And man, it's not going good. I'm just incredibly bored. It's not as smooth and fluid as RE5. Just incredibly clunky. None of the great atmosphere once you enter the castle, no music worth a damn and generally, just boring. Good god. It's just dragging along. I'm still not totally passed the castle yet, and I can firmly say that this is the worst part of the game.

And this is the Wii version. @_@

After I finish recording, this will most likely be my last ever playthrough. I just can't get into it at all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Applesauce said:
Guess I'm with the group that loves both RE4 & RE5 for what they are.

*shrugs*
Same. I love them both and even though they are fairly similar I like them for different reasons.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Applesauce said:
Guess I'm with the group that loves both RE4 & RE5 for what they are.

*shrugs*
RoboPlato said:
Same. I love them both and even though they are fairly similar I like them for different reasons.
True that.

neoism

Kadey said:
Something of that effect happened to me while I was playing as Sheva in SP. After the rock collapses and when he starts making his way towards Chris, I just shot a few RL rounds at him and he died. I tried doing it again in a later game and it didn't work that time. Must have been a glitch.
You can kill him with 1 RL round, right after he shows his big red spot!

fernoca

Woohoo!
Finished Professional (NDESUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!! )..which got me..my first Platinum Trophy!!! :) Wow! To think that I thought the demo was going to make me play the game less and just finish it one time..and ended finishing it..4 times, plus going to finish it a 5th time this weekend with a friend that just got the game! :)
45 hours overall according to the records.. (lol.. under 10 hour game suxor!)

Davey Cakes

News Bot said:
I can't play RE4 after 5.

I've been recording the cutscenes all day. And man, it's not going good. I'm just incredibly bored. It's not as smooth and fluid as RE5. Just incredibly clunky. None of the great atmosphere once you enter the castle, no music worth a damn and generally, just boring. Good god. It's just dragging along. I'm still not totally passed the castle yet, and I can firmly say that this is the worst part of the game.

And this is the Wii version. @_@

After I finish recording, this will most likely be my last ever playthrough. I just can't get into it at all.
RE5 is a great game and all, but I don't see what about it makes RE4 so obsolete in comparison, to the point of unplayability. There's the superior Mercenaries mode in RE5, and the addition of co-op so you can pair-up with a buddy, but other than that, not much. The games are on equal level, gameplay wise, as far as I can tell.

And what's this? More hating on the Castle? Huh? If anything, every time I play RE5 it just reminds me that there's something missing...An awesome Castle segment like in RE4!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
cryptic said:
The water in the PS3 version does suck though, irrefutably.

And for the 3 people that actually care about the water and how it effects their gameplay experience, then yep....a great thing to point out.

fernoca

Hmm...Just updated the game..what does it ...ehr.do?
Only noticing you can see the Versus Mode trophies in your profile, which lowered the 100% total in the Trophies..to 85%..does that mean that anyone that finishes everything but the Versus trophies, after the patch..won't get Platinum unless they earn the Versus trophies?? :\

RyuHayate

After getting through a chapter or two each night this week, I finally beat it a few hours ago. I gotta say, I'm pretty bummed that
Wesker's really dead.

kaskade

I just came back to the game after getting sucked into wanted for some reason. I've been pretty ok with Sheva's AI except for one part that got me very pissed off. It was when
You have to send her up the lift to unlock the door at chapter 5-3 and all of the lickers chase after her. For some reason she would stay in that little fucking room with like 10 of them attacking her. I would call her over and for some reason she would run back in. It took me like 5 tries and I feel like I just got lucky.
Other than that I'm loving it, I'll probably end up finishing it tomorrow.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ThePeacemaker02 said:
I just came back to the game after getting sucked into wanted for some reason. I've been pretty ok with Sheva's AI except for one part that got me very pissed off. It was when
You have to send her up the lift to unlock the door at chapter 5-3 and all of the lickers chase after her. For some reason she would stay in that little fucking room with like 10 of them attacking her. I would call her over and for some reason she would run back in. It took me like 5 tries and I feel like I just got lucky.
Other than that I'm loving it, I'll probably end up finishing it tomorrow.
You can go up there yourself. It's a lot easier that way.

Sectus

Rash said:
RE5 is a great game and all, but I don't see what about it makes RE4 so obsolete in comparison, to the point of unplayability. There's the superior Mercenaries mode in RE5, and the addition of co-op so you can pair-up with a buddy, but other than that, not much. The games are on equal level, gameplay wise, as far as I can tell.

And what's this? More hating on the Castle? Huh? If anything, every time I play RE5 it just reminds me that there's something missing...An awesome Castle segment like in RE4!
There's a good deal of minor and major changes in the core gameplay itself which makes RE5 just generally feel better, and makes RE4 feel directly inferior if you play them right after eachother (although I think RE4 is still fully playable). Examples:
-You can quick turn (right analog stick + aim) vertically and horizontally
-There's no direct vertical/horizontal bias when aiming
-Aiming has a more smooth acceleration making it easier to aim
-They've made weapons faster to aim and reduced the amount of "aim shake", which also makes it easier to aim and shoot
-Basic camera and character movement animations looks a lot more natural this time around. That doesn't directly affect gameplay, but it does make movement just seem more natural when compared to RE4 which feels more "floaty".
-And the game does not constantly pause (to pick up items, to use items and etc), or go into a fullscreen inventory interface. Which has a gigantic positive effect on the immersion and pacing.

I think it's those type of things which makes it hard to go back to RE4 after playing RE5. And of course, there's also very substantial gameplay additions which makes it even harder. Like being able to do special melee attacks on enemies lying on the ground.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
W00t!

I got an SS on Duo Mercenaris onPublic Assembly!

screw the campaign ! mercs it is where's at!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Kadey said:
Something of that effect happened to me while I was playing as Sheva in SP. After the rock collapses and when he starts making his way towards Chris, I just shot a few RL rounds at him and he died. I tried doing it again in a later game and it didn't work that time. Must have been a glitch.

you can use the infinite rocket laucher to kill him at the very beginning of the fight, atleast i did it in my speed run, and the game instantly ends the fight acting like you went through the whole thing

Volcynika

fernoca said:
Hmm...Just updated the game..what does it ...ehr.do?
Only noticing you can see the Versus Mode trophies in your profile, which lowered the 100% total in the Trophies..to 85%..does that mean that anyone that finishes everything but the Versus trophies, after the patch..won't get Platinum unless they earn the Versus trophies?? :\

Again, you just have to earn the game's base content trophies. No worries.

neoism

chandoog said:
you can use the infinite rocket laucher to kill him at the very beginning of the fight, atleast i did it in my speed run, and the game instantly ends the fight acting like you went through the whole thing
neoism said:
You can kill him with 1 RL round, right after he shows his big red spot!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just completed it, first time.

The entire chapter 6 is pretty bad :(
Militant zombies? Lots o' crates
the enemies and environments started so cool and got so generic so fast :( tentacles eveeeeerywhere
And hey guys, ya know what Resident Evil always needed? Blondes!
lets make Jill one for no reason at all!!!! Oh sure, read a file on it with some vague mention of 'oh hey look, pigment mutation!' cause yea... well, that make sense. And did they forget to program an ending, or do you have to do something to unlock one?

The rest of it was quite enjoyable, however. And as weird as the story was and all this 'new' stuff they tried to squeeze in there, from a story perspective, it felt more like "Resident Evil" than 4 did at least.

Piano

Banned
Just beat the game on Veteran with a friend last night.

Enjoyed the game a lot...until the last chapter.
The whole fucking final boss fight...Jesus Christ, could they possibly have made the whole fight any more frustrating or non self-explanatory? We thought the rocket-catching in the first part was purely random, we didn't figure out until later that it had to do with the lights. And then, once we got in the volcano, we unloaded all of our ammo into him at first, not knowing that we were supposed to turn and run. And finally, it took us 30 more minutes to figure out Chris was supposed to restrain Wesker while Sheva stabbed him to death...yeesh!

I did enjoy the story, though. It tied a lot of events together - even enjoyed how it mentioned the Ganados here and there.

Not a bad game, just...Christ, what a frustrating ending.

Dahbomb

I am sure most people who are still playing this game have already gotten this achievement (Kill 2 enemies with the Flash grenade) but I would like to share it anyway.

There is an easy way to get it other than waiting for the parasites to pop up or getting 2 enemies very close to death. Use it on Spiders (the small ones in the Indian Jones level), it's instant death for them and kills a bunch of them really fast.

This is best demonstrated in the area of the game where there are laser mirrors. In the very last one there is a treasure chest right smack middle of the area. When you open the treasure, a horde of spiders come out. Equip the Flash grenade, aim and wait for a bunch of them to come up. Then release for massive damage and achievement!

Also anyone have a strategy for the Reapers that conserves ammo and uses low tier weapons?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dahbomb said:
This is best demonstrated in the area of the game where there are laser mirrors. In the very last one there is a treasure chest right smack middle of the area. When you open the treasure, a horde of spiders come out. Equip the Flash grenade, aim and wait for a bunch of them to come up. Then release for massive damage and achievement!
I did this exactly, and was surprised when I got the achievement. :lol

PBalfredo

The whole fucking final boss fight...Jesus Christ, could they possibly have made the whole fight any more frustrating or non self-explanatory? We thought the rocket-catching in the first part was purely random, we didn't figure out until later that it had to do with the lights. And then, once we got in the volcano, we unloaded all of our ammo into him at first, not knowing that we were supposed to turn and run. And finally, it took us 30 more minutes to figure out Chris was supposed to restrain Wesker while Sheva stabbed him to death...yeesh!

I did enjoy the story, though. It tied a lot of events together - even enjoyed how it mentioned the Ganados here and there.

Here's the thing though, there are multiple ways of beating him
In his first form, I was able to beat him by having my (human) partner shoot him right before he melees me. I also was able to counterattack him to do damage. In his crazy Uroborus form my partner shot him with the rifle until his heart opened up and I was able to unload my magnum.
It's non-explanatory because there are multiple ways of tackling him.

That's one of the things I love about the boss design in this game. There's usually a gimmick or special weapon nearby to help you kill it. But if you want to just stand tall and throw as much damage as you can against them like a badass, that'll work too.

Dahbomb

This happened on my second time with the area. First time my partner went to the treasure chest to open and got assaulted. I tried to go there and save him but ended up getting fried by the lasers. :lol

Second time I knew they would come so I had a grenade ready. Lucky me that it was a flash grenade and not the Standard/Incendiary types. :lol

TheEastonator said:
Only point in the game where I started getting really mad at my friends over Xbox Live. People getting distracted by boulders deserve to get shot.

BTW more games need to add a
grain/noise filter
. Makes RE5 look hott instead of hot.

Dot50Cal

Banned
A friend and I played through attempting a speed run on Amateur. We ended up placing #30 and #31 respectively on our second try with a total game time of 1 hour, 33 minutes. Hot damn, this game is SHORT.

I'm uploading an HD video set to Youtube now. We're about 10 minutes behind the leader on the board. No idea how they shaved off that much time. Theres gotta be some tricks cause we just hauled ass with the stun rod out (supposedly it makes you faster..).

Yama

Took pictures of my Biohazard 5 loot before storing it, a few items are camera shy but this is most of it... for now.

bh5collection_0005_Layer2.jpg

bh5collection_0001_Layer6.jpg

bh5collection_0002_Layer7.jpg

bh5collection_0003_Layer4.jpg

bh5collection_0004_Layer5.jpg

bh5collection_0000_Layer1.jpg

Thanks for the promo sleeve Dot! <3

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
DarkUSS said:
Hmm, I'm using Hydra a lot but haven't noticed anything like this. Perhaps you mean the drop in frame rate when you shoot a bunch of Majinis right in front of you?

Yes, but it really drops to zero. It's particular bad in 2-2. Not so much in every other chapters.

Yama

Amir0x said:
oh my god Yama, did you out-RE5 cvxfreak!?
Definitely not. We talk about our SKU aquirements quite a bit, he's in the lead. I'm sure when cvx takes a similar picture it'll be much more amazing, but thanks. :lol

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
i was gonna say :lol

cvxfreak it's your turn to take a more impressive RE5 blowout swag pic!

:D

I left half my collection in the U.S. (I'm in Japan right now). When I get back there for a few days in May, I'll take a nice pic or two... :D

I'm at 12 or so versions at the moment... here are some not-so-dazzling pics from another thread though:

zvej2t.jpg

30djq14.jpg

2lavw39.jpg

Kevtones

I beat RE4 9 times (3 Cube, 2 PS2, 4 Wii) and finally started playing this. I had a terrible time with the demo but the controls are starting to work for me again (I want IR bad though). While it doesn't feel nearly as inspired as 4, game is getting awesome quick. Can't wait for cooperative play too...

Feindflug

Awesome pics from Yama & cvxfreak...:D

I remember Yama being a RE freak back in the good old Gamespot days with EvilTaru, GrizzlyJin, GameGenie e.t.c.

Goddammit, the fucking golden egg is keeping me away from getting the platinum trophy. Played Chapter 3-1 like 1000 times and I just can't find one. D:<

Brakara

slaughterking said:
Goddammit, the fucking golden egg is keeping me away from getting the platinum trophy. Played Chapter 3-1 like 1000 times and I just can't find one. D:<

Just enter the boat and then the island again. The chickens will respawn every time you do that, and you'll eventually get your golden egg. I guess I got lucky when I got it on the second try.

g23

European pre-madonna
Does anyone else here agree that the
bad guy douchebag with the shades is the greatest and funniest videogame villain of all time.
I mean is DIALOGUE throughout the game is golden!

I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER "CHRIISS!!". We were laughing soo hard! OMG

cvxfreak

Finally managed to beat the 360 version after being so busy these last few weeks. Going to spend a lot of time tomorrow going through and unlocking lots of stuff. :D

Eccocid

HEY HO!
I just got the game (ps3) version! I NEED AN ONLINE CO_OP BUDDY! NAO!

gmt+2 here i will go out with friends now for dinner and be back in 2 or 3 hours..
So if anyone wants to play with me FOR THE FIRST TIME tonight add me
PSN ID: GimmeCat

PLS PS: i would be more happy if its your first time in game too!

LOL that sounded like some dating website profile

fernoca

TheEastonator said:

Also, adding to what PBalfredo posted...
The whole lights thing it's told by one of the characters (depending on who you're playing) at the very beginning of the fight. The rocket-catching thing is not related to the lights, but to your character's position and Wesker 's attention being on the other character. The same rocket-catching thing can be done on the first encounter with Wesker and Jill, cutting the length of the fight to just minutes instead of the seven minutes or wasting ammo on his back.

You're supposed to turn and run, because there's no space to fight with him at first..which triggers the cutscene of the characters getting separated. Restraining Wesker is optional; since he can be killed by shooting at his back first and then to the front.

TheEastonator said:

I completely agree with the last chapter, it really is the worst part of the game and quite anticlimactic. My buddy and I died 22 times on the different
Weskers
. Well I did really enjoy the game the end section is just bad.

RE5 is a great action game but not a good Resident Evil game. The game struggles to find an identity because it incorporates elements of Tomb Raider, Metal Gear and a Lost Planet way too much while having Resident Evil themes sprinkled in throughout. Again, great action game but my least favorite RE.

Sectus

Dot50Cal said:
A friend and I played through attempting a speed run on Amateur. We ended up placing #30 and #31 respectively on our second try with a total game time of 1 hour, 33 minutes. Hot damn, this game is SHORT.

I'm uploading an HD video set to Youtube now. We're about 10 minutes behind the leader on the board. No idea how they shaved off that much time. Theres gotta be some tricks cause we just hauled ass with the stun rod out (supposedly it makes you faster..).
Me and a friend did some quick tests and it seems you don't run faster with any weapons. Rocket launcher, shotgun, magnum, grenades and herbs all have the same running speed.

There's quite a few tricks here and there you can use to make things go faster, I'm not sure how many you are aware of. For instance in 6-1 you can snipe the guy controlling the crane so you can skip the entire scene with the cage falling down. A more unusual trick is that there's certain places you can save time by restarting the previous checkpoint (since that will teleport both players to the same spot and reset all enemies).

Christopher

I guess I'm the only crazy one who played past RE games I always call the First Aid Spray the F Aid Spray since I guess they couldn't fit it in the old games...if I say it online people act so dumb duhhhh what's that??

Top Bottom