• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Sectus

Neiteio said:
I've only played the mines in single-player, and Sheva will shine the light where you need it if you walk slow and aim your gun to look around instead of moving the camera, but I find it easier to simply carry the light, dash through the mines, then set it down and fight as needed. It's easy to be blindsided in the dark, which keeps things interesting.
I actually found the AI for that part to be rather clever. When I tried it in singleplayer, I imagined the AI wouldn't even be capable of using the lantern and the game would force the player to pick it up, but the AI can use it rather well. And I think it's rather cute how Sheva will go through the trouble to aim it exactly where the player is aiming. That Sheva doesn't drop it automatically when there's enemies around didn't bother me because when I did that with a human player I rarely would drop the lantern at all.

I really wish they would have done more with that. I've heard some negative comments about that dark tunnel, but I found it to be the most fun part of chapter 2.

When thinking about it, I think there's 3 levels I'd love for mercenaries if they ever do maps DLC:
1 - A cave area which only has a few lights and besides that you have to use a lantern. To balance it, there would be less enemies than normal, but still enough enemies to make it feel like a panic attack all the time.

2 - Spencer's mansion from the flashback sequence, the mansion from RE1, or any similar mansion. Mansions are one of the trademark locations of RE series and it would be nice to see one again.

3 - Atmospheric outdoor level during a storm at nighttime. Basically RE4 when you visit the village for the last time. I neeeeeeeeeeed an area like that in RE5.

MrOctober

Banned
Everybody on the leaderboards on PSN at least for Mercenaries uses Wesker (Midnight). I can't do shit with him, what do they know that I don't?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sectus said:
I actually found the AI for that part to be rather clever. When I tried it in singleplayer, I imagined the AI wouldn't even be capable of using the lantern and the game would force the player to pick it up, but the AI can use it rather well. And I think it's rather cute how Sheva will go through the trouble to aim it exactly where the player is aiming. That Sheva doesn't drop it automatically when there's enemies around didn't bother me because when I did that with a human player I rarely would drop the lantern at all.

I really wish they would have done more with that. I've heard some negative comments about that dark tunnel, but I found it to be the most fun part of chapter 2.

When thinking about it, I think there's 3 levels I'd love for mercenaries if they ever do maps DLC:
1 - A cave area which only has a few lights and besides that you have to use a lantern. To balance it, there would be less enemies than normal, but still enough enemies to make it feel like a panic attack all the time.

2 - Spencer's mansion from the flashback sequence, the mansion from RE1, or any similar mansion. Mansions are one of the trademark locations of RE series and it would be nice to see one again.

3 - Atmospheric outdoor level during a storm at nighttime. Basically RE4 when you visit the village for the last time. I neeeeeeeeeeed an area like that in RE5.

A caves-esque Mercenaries map would be awesome, but I don't think a lantern would work well. In solo it would make it a lot more complicated, though duo would work better. If they would do something like that, I'd imagine they could add a flashlight on their belt that works like the lantern(maybe they could even replace the time crystals with batteries or something, lights out = game over).

Sectus

MrOctober said:
Everybody on the leaderboards on PSN at least for Mercenaries uses Wesker (Midnight). I can't do shit with him, what do they know that I don't?
Shot enemies in the head so they're stunned, and then melee them for an instant kill and +5 seconds. Do that for ALL enemies and you get an insane amount of bonus points. That's basically the one strategy which gives you the most points, but it doesn't work for every stage.

Wesker STARS is the other popular character to play as, and that's simply because he's got a ton of firepower with that hydra. It has the drawback that it's slow to reload, but you can get around that by manually reloading it in the inventory.

I've only played the game in co-op with a friend. I imagine that changes things drastically.

Favorite: Chapter 3. By far.

The swamp level was amazing. Arguing over who gets to drive and who's the sucker standing on the boat. Purposely throwing away ammo in order to force the other to get in front. Driving around, knowing eventually something is going to show up but not sure what. Turboing past all those fuckheads on the towers. Getting stuck behind the gate, trying to balance not getting fucking blown up with not screwing up partner's aim. KILLER FUCKING CROCODILES. All so awesome. Oh and the Tribal Zombies were the scariest shit ever. All the freaking jumping, and reading their little story was creepy as fuck. And then there's the recreation of RE4's cage ambush when you pick up the magnum. Totally awesome, and then it evolves into a full scale firefight with the entire village, and crazy masked zombies.

3-2 was fucking awesome too, GIANT FUCKING KILLER FUCKING CROCODILE! Complete with PRESS THE BUTTON action. And the best section of the game imo, the oilworks. Multi-level enclosure, with zombies springing from everything, and DOUBLE CHAINSAW GUYS!

And then the boat section, which was awesome scaled to five hundred. Chapter 3 is fucking great.

Next, Chapter 5
It starts with the best part of Chapter 4: THE FLOWERS. And then adds MORE FLOWERS. With journals crying about all the fucking flowers. Then you get to the Lickers and the game's all MOVE QUIETLY and we're all WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK WE ARE and blow open the glass and explode everything. Oh and you can shoot a goat. Then you get to the creepy egg sac shit and can just tell that shit is going to hatch, so you go forward and SURPRISE IT HATCHES. And we totally suck and don't even pretend to look for weakpoints or shit and just unload all of hell onto the fucking thing and after trying a couple times and and running from it for ages throwing all our ammo at it and it finally dies and the next level starts and THERES FUCKING THREE OF THEM IN A ROW. Oh and zombie land mines. So awesome. And then you get the epic TWO ON TWO and the WHAT DO YOU MEAN IM NOT SUPPOSED TO SHOOT HER? that everyone goes through, and then the epic sequel I GUESS I SHOT HER TOO MUCH after Weskie leaves. And then your partner goes all WHAT ARE YOU DOING, DEAR GOD STOP SHOOTING HER while you are all I REALLY THINK WE OUGHTTA. AND IT TURNS OUT YOU ARE RIGHT. I loved that fight.

Chapter 6 is awesome too. The mid-card boss sequence against double
two reapers and two chaingun fuckers
was great, I can imagine how much it'd suck without a partner though.
The Eschella fight was amazing. I didn't pick up the godray, so I really had no idea what the fuck was going on for... the entire fight. My screen would just schitz out and I'd hear a huge explosion and see a blinding light and have no idea what just happened. Great fun. Wesker was everything a boy could dream for. His accent made anything he said pure poetry. HAVE YOU NEVER CONSIDERED THAT THE WORLD IS OVERPOPULATED? We ran out of rockets in the first encounter and totally just started wailing on him with anything we had. And it worked. Oh and that fucking cutscene before the final fight was EPIC. When Chris started zoning out, I was totally screaming goodbye to Sheva. I even missed my cue to save her because of it. And the epic boulder fight... Really great ending. I continued my I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING spree with Wesker's fight. First my partner tells me to stop wasting all my ammo when he's chasing me down and that he will only jump to Sheva if she hits his back or some shit. So my part is then to back up into a corner and pray basically. Then when we fight on the hill I run out of ammo fairly quickly, so say fuck it and try to go and knife him. I get the action queue and beat the game. Best ending ever.

Oh yea, and that's totally how we won the Uruboros fight in chapter 5. We went through like 7 rounds of flame thrower, tons of grenades, weapon ammo in general, all the explosive canisters, and I was out of ammo completely. I say fuck it and go and knife the thing and it dies instantly. My knife is made of awesome.

Those are the three best chapters, easily. Chapter 2 is noteworthy for
MOTORCYCLE ZOMBIES, and that WTF THAT ZOMBIE HAS A TURRET. It's solid fun. The dynamite fucks were a lot more fun than they were in RE4.

Chapter 1 is just alright. Sets up the rest of the game, can't fault it.

Chapter 4 fucking sucks ass though. Worst chapter ever. Spider shits, shitty puzzles. That one room at the end of 4-1 was the worst thing ever. PULL THE LEEVER, WATCH THE STAIRS. Repeat x5000. Was funny absolutely destroying the boss though with new toys though.
The end was fucking funny though. WHAT IS WITH THESE FLOWERS?

Dahbomb

Chapter 5:
Easily the best chapter in the game by a mile. Aside from some random machine gun majini this chapter was near perfect. It had the most atmosphere, the most tension, best pacing, best action and the best story as well. It also has a killer boss fight at the end and in the middle as well. It also introduces Lickers and Reapers, two of my favorite enemies in the game.

Chapter 4:
Gave me a Tomb Raider/Indian Jones vibe. There were a lot of hidden treasures in this stage plus a lot of surprises in store (could've been more though). Action was solid as well and there were some interesting puzzles and QTE segments (which I normally hated but given the theme of the level it actually made sense in a crazy RE manner).

Chatper 3:
Aside from Ch 5 this one had the most variety plus the swamp mission felt quite genuine and non-linear. It also introduces some new set pieces and enemies plus some segments in the later portions of the chapter were kick ass as well. The crazy tribal majini were awesome particularly the Shaman. The boat finale was epic as was the final boss fight, bringing great closure to the chapter. Oh and FUCKING KILLER CROCODILES!!! :lol

Chapter 2:
Weak start but this chapter has the most incline in terms of quality. Aside from the El gigante rip-off fight at the end, this chapter was quite solid and showcased a phenomenal range of lighting. Graphically this chapter is probably the best in the game and also features probably one of the best on-rail segments in a RE game yet (highly debatable).

Chapter 6:
Aside from the fight with Wesker 1, I felt this chapter was easily the weakest in the entire game. The area was on a ship with a huge amount of machine gun majini plus random dogs crawling all over the place. It was like some of the areas in Ch5 minus the kick ass atmosphere and enemies. Graphically this chapter is the weakest. The 3 bosses in this chapter aside from the Wesker were annoying QTE fests... again. Didn't like the Hammer of Dawn finish to the Uroboros fight and that fight also felt extremely tepid (the boss had like 2-3 attacks at most and used only 1 most of the time which was easy as hell to avoid). The final boss fight was not that bad but still disappointing come out of the Wesker phase 1 fight. I was unfortunate enough to have to deal with my friend not being able to mash quickly enough during the Sheva segment which ended up in A LOT of frustration. It was still statisfying when both of us stabbed the fuck out of the Wesker at the end, we were both mashing away and screaming like crazy. :lol

Chapter 1:
This is last only because A) It's too short and B) Felt mostly like a complete RE4 rip-off with the chainsaw guy from RE4 replaced by executioner guy. The action also felt very tepid in this one with only a couple decent set pieces here. If this was longer with more set pieces I would easily rank this over Ch6.

Neiteio

Attention Sectus! And other generous souls with capture devices...

The cutscene from 3-2, where Irving leaves on his patrol boat, before the countdown timer at the oil refinery... The part in the cutscene where Bird Lady hops down into the boat, and the camera looks up at her, so that she's looming over the screen... That image must be mine!

Capture capture capture!

On a side note, 3-2 is really awesome. Rain rippling on the water, crocs eating tribal Majini (seriously, knock some Majini into the water), a balls-to-the-wall brawl to defend Josh's ass, chainsaw after chainsaw after chainsaw, and Irving's countdown timer to BOOM.

Best subchapter of Chapter 3.

Miburou

Finished the game with my bro this morning. Played the a little under half of it on Normal difficulty and then switched to Veteran. The difficulty level in the game isn't balanced too well, I would say (including the final boss who's a real cakewalk).

I also don't understand the timing with the QTE. Sometimes I could swear that I pressed the correct button(s) before they disappeared from the screen but still fail, while with others I would press the wrong button and then follow it with the correct one and pass.

Other than these two issues, I found the game to be fantastic! Probably the best co-op experience I've ever had, and the game was never lacking in tension. Couple that with the fantastic graphics (how can the Xbox 360 still have games this impressive looking 3.5 years into its life?!) and the tons of secrets and collectibles and the game's a keeper.

TheExodu5

Banned
2-1, 3-2, 5-1, and 5-2 are probably my favorite subchapters.

Chapter 2 and 5 are probably my favorite overall. Chapter 4 and 6 are the lower points (mostly Chapter 6).

Brofist

wi@tt said:
what's the best way to earn more gold? I need to seriously do some upgraded.

Easiest and cheapest way is the rotten egg trick. Or you can keep replaying the beginning of certain levels collecting treasure and restarting the level.

Or you can just play through on Pro where gold amounts are higher. You are going to need to grind exchange points anyway, so might as well play through a few times legitimately, do the emblems and get gold and points.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
2-1 and 3-2 are easily my favourite two sections, with the Chapter 1 in its entirety coming in third. The shanty town was my favourite area by far in RE5, I wish we spent more time there.

wi@tt

kpop100 said:
Easiest and cheapest way is the rotten egg trick. Or you can keep replaying the beginning of certain levels collecting treasure and restarting the level.

Or you can just play through on Pro where gold amounts are higher. You are going to need to grind exchange points anyway, so might as well play through a few times legitimately, do the emblems and get gold and points.

I'm down for the egg trick if anyone is willing to help out :lol

Emblems are gonna be something I need to do too.

thanks

6-3 is horrible...I seem to have hit an infinite respawn bug for the manjini...first time I got through and got killed by the reapers (didn't kill them before minigun boss), next time I explore the place and get hammered by infinite majinis...any others had this problem... at this stage just want to get the game finished and move on

RyuHayate

nelsonroyale said:
6-3 is horrible...I seem to have hit an infinite respawn bug for the manjini...first time I got through and got killed by the reapers (didn't kill them before minigun boss), next time I explore the place and get hammered by infinite majinis...any others had this problem... at this stage just want to get the game finished and move on

Grenade launcher w/ explosive rounds. Problem solved!

nelsonroyale said:
It's not a bug,
the manjini just keep coming until you get to the two minigun guys. You just have to keep pressing forward under fire.

RyuHayate said:
Grenade launcher w/ explosive rounds. Problem solved!

is there an infinite respawn site there though...I must have downed upwards of 30 majini...maybe even 40 or 50 it was boring...ah, I run out of cash as well hehe

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
crowphoenix said:
It's not a bug,
the manjini just keep coming until you get to the two minigun guys. You just have to keep pressing forward under fire.
Not if you die and get restarted at the checkpoint just before you pull the levers that spawn the two Reapers. Even on Pro mode, it deleted all the majini that were in the map, and stops any more from spawning, meaning you're left to stand around for a minute or so until the door opens once the Reapers are dealt with.

Davey Cakes

Rez said:
2-1 and 3-2 are easily my favourite two best sections, with the Chapter 1 in its entirety coming in third. The shanty town was my favourite area by far in RE5, I wish we spent more time there.
I wouldn't say they're the two best sections, but yes, they are standouts from the very beginning.

As far as chapter 3 is concerned, I don't like 3-1, am mostly indifferent about 3-3, but really enjoy 3-2.

Also, even though I ranked chapter 4 as #3 on my list, I will note that I dread the "statue section" where you shift the stairs around. It's just boring. And no, the enemies don't help. Overall, chapter 4 sticks out because of the sections before and after that.

RyuHayate

nelsonroyale said:
is there an infinite respawn site there though...I must have downed upwards of 30 majini...maybe even 40 or 50 it was boring...ah, I run out of cash as well hehe

I don't recall there being an infinite respawn... then again, I was using the stun rod to bring a lot of them down quickly while Sheva covered me. I lobbed a few grenades when it got really crowded, too.

Rez said:
Not if you die and get restarted at the checkpoint just before you pull the levers that spawn the two Reapers. Even on Pro mode, it deleted all the majini that were in the map, and stops any more from spawning, meaning you're left to stand around for a minute or so until the door opens once the Reapers are dealt with.
There are a couple of those aren't there? I remember one in chapter 5 where I ended up losing on of the treasures from one of the big majini because restoring there removed all enemies.

Sean

Banned
I think I liked Chapter 3-1 the best, since it gave you (the illusion of) freedom. There was action, boat driving, puzzle solving, etc.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Buddy and I found all the blue emblems on our own yesterday for the achievement. No gamefaqs, no youtube.

Chinner

Banned
isamu said:
Buddy and I found all the blue emblems on our own yesterday for the achievement. No gamefaqs, no youtube.
auflgn.jpg

GOOD FOR YOOOOOUUU

This game is so tense on local co-op, part of that may be that my brother is worse than AI Sheva at times but at least theres someone to take my verbal abuse :lol

Eccocid

i am at the mines now but dont want to play by myself it not fun as online co-op..and also its my first run...anyone wanna join nao?

PSN ID: GimmeCat

Neiteio

isamu said:
How the hell did you ever spot the one on the
tanker's radar mast
without a guide?!

Some of the places they hid the emblems are just ridiculous.

Dahbomb

Ranking chapters is fun but it's more fun to come up with 5 minute set pieces and ranking them. Here are my top 10 in no particular order. Please remember that your "area" of choice should take no longer than 5 minutes to beat and can possibly be a boss fight or a QTE segment.
*First time Licker horde encounter. I am talking about the area where there are Lickers behind glass and you think you can just walk past them but then they ambush you!

*Part in Chapter 5 where the two of you split up and one of the players has to go up an elevator and go all the way to the end to push a box. This player is ambushed by Lickers while the other player just looks on as the Lickers converge on the helpless player while he/she is pushing the box.

*Being ambushed by Shaman warriors when you are first about to get the Revolver from a corpse. I already knew this was going to be a trap but didn't know that those crazy Shaman guys would pop up!

*Oil refinery when you are rotating the gears only to be ambushed by a chainsaw majini! The area is constructed where there is very little room to maneuver around and you have to jump from construct to construct.

*On rails Safari ride. Fun in its absolute purest form and it's an on rails segment done to the highest quality.

*2 Reapers + 2 Gatling Gun Majinis + Infinite stun rod majinis... this is like your last major enemy encounter and boy can it be tough. When you finish this you will let go a major sigh of relief.

*Jill boss fight... convincing her to turn with Chris and then going through the QTE segment to rip out her chest machine. One of the better QTE-based encounter in all of RE (combined with RE4).

*Wesker boss fight. Wesker's long monologues, his rocket grab, followed by QTE combo and then injecting him with some "ownage" serum.

*Looting the treasures in the temple area. Doesn't get more satisfying than raiding a temple full of gold!

*Mines segment where one player has to pick up the light and the other has to protect him. This is where you first get an idea of how ingenious some of the co-op set pieces are in the game but I believe this one was the co-op set piece that felt like something from RE exclusively.

*WATCH OUT FOR THOSE FUCKING KILLER CROCODILES!!!!!

Neiteio

I repeat!

Neiteio said:
Attention Sectus! And other generous souls with capture devices...

The cutscene from 3-2, where Irving leaves on his patrol boat, before the countdown timer at the oil refinery... The part in the cutscene where Bird Lady hops down into the boat, and the camera looks up at her, so that she's looming over the screen... That image must be mine!

Capture capture capture!

On a side note, 3-2 is really awesome. Rain rippling on the water, crocs eating tribal Majini (seriously, knock some Majini into the water), a balls-to-the-wall brawl to defend Josh's ass, chainsaw after chainsaw after chainsaw, and Irving's countdown timer to BOOM.

Best subchapter of Chapter 3.
I want that image! Good desktop material...

eso76

Kard8p3 said:
I can't believe I skipped the credits. This song is amazing and it's what put RE5's soundtrack above all the other RE's for me.

why no one ever mentions the ending song to the original japanese bio hazard 1 ?
: \

Also, just completed my emblem run.
you guys really want me to believe it's possible to find all of them without a guide ? i mean, sure, if you scout every cm of each area with your sniper rifle, but that's just crazy, and i couldn't see a few of them even knowing where to look.

oh yeah, i also just noticed the croc eatng maijini's when you knock them in the water in 3.2. Cloud of blood spreading in the water and all, awesome.

Neiteio

Here's the image from the guide I was talking about earlier. It's a SCAN that's been cleaned up, hence the rough quality. Not too shabby, all in all:

BSAAJillScan.jpg

I love this pose. I hope Capcom releases renders for all of the characters and creatures sooner or later. I need a high-rez version...

And I need a screenshot of Bird Lady looking down at the camera from her boat. Just a reminder if anyone's interested. :D

dorkimoe

I just came to say this games awesome. It irritates me that people complained so much and now we probably wont get another game like this :(

JB1981

I will probably have to start the entire last chapter over again because I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH FUCKING AMMO TO DEFEAT THE LAST BOSS. He is SO FUCKING EASY TOO BUT THESE SHIT DEVS DON'T GIVE ME ENOUGH FUCKING AMMO TO TO FUCKING BEAT HIM.

FUCK. THIS. GAME.

I even sold off both vests and a bunch of other machine guns just so I could have enough loot to buy extra ammo and I STILL don't have enough ammo to kill this motherfucker. I am shooting with precision and conserving my ammo as well. Again. FUCK. THIS. GAME.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
JB1981 said:
I will probably have to start the entire last chapter over again because I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH FUCKING AMMO TO DEFEAT THE LAST BOSS. He is SO FUCKING EASY TOO BUT THESE SHIT DEVS DON'T GIVE ME ENOUGH FUCKING AMMO TO TO FUCKING BEAT HIM.

FUCK. THIS. GAME.
Buy a shitty gun, upgrade the capacity as far as you can, then sell it and plant the ammo in to your powered up weapons.

Edit: Well, just go back a few chapters and collect treasures.

eso76

JB1981 said:

FUCK. THIS. GAME.

I even sold off both vests and a bunch of other machine guns just so I could have enough loot to buy extra ammo and I STILL don't have enough ammo to kill this motherfucker. I aim shooting with precision and conserving my ammo as well. Again. FUCK. THIS. GAME.

happened to me in my first run (back when parts of the game were still hard) and stabbed it to death :) it's not that hard, you only need a ridiculous amount of ammo if you try and take it down with guns, but if you get closer you'll trigger a qte...

I just came to say this games awesome. It irritates me that people complained so much and now we probably wont get another game like this :(

I think people outside of gaming forums and magazines (re5 got a few fucked up reviews) are pretty happy with it and i think it's doing well at retail.
Do we have anything resembling sales data at this point ?
regardless, capcom already stated RE6 will go in a different direction

JB1981

eso76 said:
happened to me in my first run (back when parts of the game were still hard) and stabbed it to death :) it's not that hard, you only need a ridiculous amount of ammo if you try and take it down with guns, but if you get closer you'll trigger a qte...

So shoot this fucker in the heart, let him stagger and then run up and QTE his ass? Do I have to wait til he says "NO, I can't lose to you." ???? Also, Sheva is an absolutely retard in this sequence

Ok, does money you pick up double for sheva and chris in local co-op? and, how come when you upgrade one weapon like chris's shevas same weapon doesnt get upgraded? It costs way too much to upgrade both weapons for chris and sheva.

Neiteio

dorkimoe said:
I think sales numbers and the numbers of people playing online will convince Capcom otherwise. I would be surprised if RE6 didn't have co-op.

USD

JB1981 said:
Oh Christ ... driving myself crazy shooting this dude.
If you're playing as Chris, make sure you have full health before grabbing him, or else bad things will happen to Sheva. :(

DexterXS

dk_ said:
Has someone a rotten egg for me? Can't find one... :-/

PSN: dkwhip

I'm online right now.

Apparently if you get a regular egg and hold it in your inventory for a couple chapters it will become rotten.

Redd

DexterXS said:
Apparently if you get a regular egg and hold it in your inventory for a couple chapters it will become rotten.

Wait seriously???? I never knew that, is it really true?

mattso

does the stabby method of killing him work in pro? I tried 3 times yesterday and everytime chris ended up dying and then I just decided to turn on infinite ammo and use my rocket launcher.

BeeDog

mattso said:
does the stabby method of killing him work in pro? I tried 3 times yesterday and everytime chris ended up dying and then I just decided to turn on infinite ammo and use my rocket launcher.

Yes it does, me and Dave1988 finished him off like that. Gotta love finishing ch. 6-3 with all S ranks on Pro. /pimp :D
Thank you infinite ammo! :p

Top Bottom