• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mattso said:
does the stabby method of killing him work in pro? I tried 3 times yesterday and everytime chris ended up dying and then I just decided to turn on infinite ammo and use my rocket launcher.

You mght not be tapping the button fast enough. The faster you tap, the slower the rate of health loss.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finished my 5 hour run last night in one shot - made it in 3 hours and 20 minutes. Worse than a lot of people, I know, but it seemed pretty fast to me. My friend and I then spent a lot of time shooting at each other with rockets.

We've unlocked pretty much all the good stuff except the Noise Filter now, I think it's about time to move on or maybe do a Veteran run.

I heard I can unlock Pro on all chapters by playing with someone online who's already unlocked Pro? Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Don't want to beat the game on Veteran just to have to beat it again on Pro. Already played it on Normal co-op.

BeeDog

CartridgeBlower said:
I heard I can unlock Pro on all chapters by playing with someone online who's already unlocked Pro? Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Don't want to beat the game on Veteran just to have to beat it again on Pro. Already played it on Normal co-op.

Yep, that's what I did. Hadn't finished Veteran, but Pro was unlocked after a co-op session.

Neiteio said:
How the hell did you ever spot the one on the
tanker's radar mast
without a guide?!

Some of the places they hid the emblems are just ridiculous.

I found that one on my first run.
when the level started I went up the tower and thought, well hiding one all the way over there would be cool, I looked and there it was. I didnt have the all the way zoomed in sniper rifle at the time so I couldnt get it until later.

One more to go and I find them all on my own. :D

Dahbomb said:
Ranking chapters is fun but it's more fun to come up with 5 minute set pieces and ranking them. Here are my top 10 in no particular order. Please remember that your "area" of choice should take no longer than 5 minutes to beat and can possibly be a boss fight or a QTE segment.

In no order:

Chapter 3-1 getting out of that one area on the boat where they trap you , hell that whole free roam area is fantastic.

Conveyor belt fight, YES. You are moving along a belt with freaking explosive canisters everywhere, majini throwing dynomite from above, shield guys coming from the front, awesome.

Spinning elevator fight, how awesome was this, a spinning platform and with loads of enemies you have to shoot at a distance. Lining up that shot in a sniper rifle while spinning is so rewarding.

Giant laser room in chapter 4-2, having to avoid a super death beam is always awesome. Makes it even better when you can take out the laser controllers, loved finding that out.

Great balls of fire, all of a sudden a room fills with huge rolling flaming balls, and you have to get around them to the door in a certain time, its so short but awesome.

Licker rooms, hell all of them. My favorite is the one where its two long hallways and you can walk past them as they crawl up the ceiling and stuff. Tense stuff, of course you can never really get passed them without alerting them. Licker temple entrance was awesome but a huge pain.

Pre final wesker battle against the two reaper and two chaingun guys. The first time I played it I actually killed the chaingun guys without ever going to the turret.

Execution ground, hey I am on a raft, I wonder if anything is going to... EAT ME AHHHH!

Chapter 2-3 AWESOME.

Puzzle room, very well done.

And of course the boss fights especially Wesker ones.

Chinner

Banned
spoiler tags dont work like that miamiwesker.

anyway, i liked the game but overall it felt short and the chapters felt too short and stretched out. for example, if it was up to me chapter 1 and 2 would be just chapter 1.

Neiteio

Conveyor belt fight, YES. You are moving along a belt with freaking explosive canisters everywhere, majini throwing dynomite from above, shield guys coming from the front, awesome.
Not that the game should, or ever will make complete sense, but why were they disposing of fuel tanks in a blast furnace? I have two theories on why they might do this. One, maybe the energy released can power the lab. And two, they're getting rid of all their red explosive barrels so Majini won't be abused by resourceful BSAA agents.

Both are lol-worthy.

Giant laser room in chapter 4-2, having to avoid a super death beam is always awesome. Makes it even better when you can take out the laser controllers, loved finding that out.
Whoa, I didn't know that! So you can stop the lasers... When you say "take out the laser controllers," do you mean you can shoot somebody controlling the solar lenses, or do you shoot the solar lens itself?

Disabling the lasers and finally memorizing the mirror puzzle solution would make 4-2 far easier!

Neiteio said:
When you say "take out the laser controllers," do you mean you can shoot somebody controlling the solar lenses, or do you shoot the solar lens itself?

Might want to fix the spoiler tags

You shoot majini controlling it and it turns off. hard to get a correct angle on it

fernoca

My chapter ranking, with no spoiler tags.. :p
1. Chapter 5: Resident Evil 1/2 vibe
2. Chapter 4: Tomb Raider vibe
3. Chapter 1: Really liked the look/feel
4. Chapter 3: Really liked the setting
5. Chapter 2: Liked the setting, didn't liked the constant explosions
6. Chapter 6: Liked the final sub-chapter, didn't liked that there were too many guns.

Brakara

momolicious said:
Ok, does money you pick up double for sheva and chris in local co-op? and, how come when you upgrade one weapon like chris's shevas same weapon doesnt get upgraded? It costs way too much to upgrade both weapons for chris and sheva.

Don't have Chris use the same weapons as Sheva. That way you don't have to fight for the same ammo drops, and you'll also be able to upgrade different weapons. This is just the same strategy as if you played with the AI. I've never had any problems with Sheva AI, and I'm fairly sure it's because I made her use different weapons as well as I regularly updated her weapons too (and not just mine).

fernoca

^^Exactly.
Plus if Sheva gets by any ammo of a weapon you have; she'll pick it and give it to you (if you have space left in your inventory).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neiteio said:
Not that the game should, or ever will make complete sense, but why were they disposing of fuel tanks in a blast furnace? I have two theories on why they might do this. One, maybe the energy released can power the lab. And two, they're getting rid of all their red explosive barrels so Majini won't be abused by resourceful BSAA agents.

Both are lol-worthy.

My friends and I affectionately call that area the "exploding barrel factory."

Oh so thaaaat's where they all come from!

Those one-hit kill bugs are total bullshit. Only a retarded fuckstick would actually think those were a good idea to put into a game where you can't move and shoot at the same time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Red Blaster said:
Those one-hit kill bugs are total bullshit. Only a retarded fuckstick would actually think those were a good idea to put into a game where you can't move and shoot at the same time.
That's... the point.

Don't let them get close, shoot the weak spots and you will stun the enemy. Accuracy trumps sheer firepower in this case by a wide margin.

Neiteio

Red Blaster said:
The one-hit kill enemy has been in RE4-style games since... Well, RE4. Just run to give yourself elbow room, then turn and exploit their weak points.

So, how much media is available on Versus mode? I'm itching to check out screens and footage, if available. Is there a set date for the Versus mode DLC yet?

Rez said:
That's... the point.

Don't let them get close, shoot the weak spots and you will stun the enemy. Accuracy trumps sheer firepower in this case by a wide margin.

The retarded AI is the problem. Sheva turns into a headless chicken when facing those things. I can't afford to babysit her when I'm constantly on the run watching my own ass.

The amount of boneheaded design decisions really start to show as you get near the end of the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Relaxed Muscle said:
I'm sure I did
the stabbing QTE to Wesker
but I didn't got the achievement. What I did wrong?.

Wrong fight.

You need to inflict the damage on the 5-3 Wesker fight. Instead of running away for 7 minutes, hide in the back area and he'll lose track of you. Shoot him with to hell and eventually he'll kneel down and it'll end the fight and give the achievement.

Or the licker stab...depends which achievement you mean. :p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Relaxed Muscle said:
I'm sure I did
the stabbing QTE to Wesker
but I didn't got the achievement. What I did wrong?.

you need to do that for the
licker

consoul

Dahbomb said:
*Part in Chapter 5 where the two of you split up and one of the players has to go up an elevator and go all the way to the end to push a box. This player is ambushed by Lickers while the other player just looks on as the Lickers converge on the helpless player while he/she is pushing the box.
Remind me never to play this chapter co-op with you. :p
Don't just look on. Snipe!
(or preferably rocket launch)

Neiteio

Red Blaster said:
The retarded AI is the problem. Sheva turns into a headless chicken when facing those things. I can't afford to babysit her when I'm constantly on the run watching my own ass.

The amount of boneheaded design decisions really start to show as you get near the end of the game.
No no no. Do you have a shotgun? Run straight up to the Reaper, press up against it, and just aim down and fire at it, blasting one white bulb and then the other as it staggers. I've killed every Reaper save those in Mercs this way (in Mercs, it's tough to do with your back exposed). In fact, I never even knew the Reapers had an insta-kill attack until I'd already beat the game and read up on people's thoughts here. The trick is to never let up. The Reapers are sloooooow; just hammer their weakpoint at point-blank range with a power weapon and you'll be good to go. They'll be so preoccupied with you that they won't bother Sheva.

And on 6-3, when two of them appear, make sure you're by the right lever when they appear (by "right lever" I mean your right when facing the bulkhead), and from here they'll approach you single-file, unable to attack you or Sheva from any angle except the front, allowing you to pick them off one at a time. Piece o' cake.

Noted on the reaper killing method, may be handy in Mercs. Bigger problem now, I'm at the fucking final boss and have died over dozen times trying to blast this cunt. The QTE grab doesn't work because I don't have a full-life bar so I die every time and I have barely any ammo left.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Red Blaster said:
Noted on the reaper killing method, may be handy in Mercs. Bigger problem now, I'm at the fucking final boss and have died over dozen times trying to blast this cunt. The QTE grab doesn't work because I don't have a full-life bar so I die every time and I have barely any ammo left.

There's a green herb you can pick up while running up the pathway to where you end up, hopefully that helps.

USD

I just checked my total play time. Wow. Already over 100 hours.

And man, I hate those fuckers with steel pipes. Of course its the weapon of choice for all Majini deaths. :lol

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, for the trophies for beating the game on higher difficulties....can i just go to chapter select, choose the last level, then choose the higher difficulty and beat it? Will that count?

Volcynika

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok, for the trophies for beating the game on higher difficulties....can i just go to chapter select, choose the last level, then choose the higher difficulty and beat it? Will that count?

No. All levels have to be completed on that difficulty.

Neiteio

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
You have to beat EVERY stage on that difficulty. But you can do so in whatever order you want, right from the Chapter Select screen.

Ran the licker hallway in 5-2 for an hour or so today and got the "take it to the max" achievement. Did a BSAA emblem run yesterday (I used youtube, =p) and various other achievements. Got 810 pts currently, 25hrs played, 53%(?) done. Only need an S rank in 3-4 levels to get the last figurine.

Amazing how you just want to keep playing and unlocking stuff in this game. They really nailed the "replayability" factor.

Nizz

Chinner said:
auflgn.jpg

GOOD FOR YOOOOOUUU
:lol I was just listening to that mp3 again where he goes off on that director of photography.
DP: "I was just....checking the lights..." Christian: "Ooooh, gooood for youuu!" :lol

MrOctober

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok, thanks!!! But by then, you will (theoretically) have at least one weapon maxed out so it should be easier....

That doesn't help on the chapter where you have to kill the Gigante from the back of the truck. That sucks ass on harder difficulties. One hit from him does like 50 percent damage, and worrying about the dudes with molotov cocktails sucks shit as well.

JB1981

Finally beat the game. What is it with Japanese devs and the multiple endings? LOL. Took me about 12 hours on my first play thru. Let me ask you guys, lately I am noticing that when I get to the end of a game, I just want the game to end. I like, never enjoy game endings anymore. It's sad. Anyone else experience the same thing?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
WOW

Talk about Giant Enemy Crab and Targeting Weak point for Massive damage...

love the game so far, best story telling in the series IMO

Pojo

Banned
JB1981 said:
Finally beat the game. What is it with Japanese devs and the multiple endings? LOL. Took me about 12 hours on my first play thru. Let me ask you guys, lately I am noticing that when I get to the end of a game, I just want the game to end. I like, never enjoy game endings anymore. It's sad. Anyone else experience the same thing?
Considering how there were 18 boss battles in the last 30 minutes, yeah, I was ready for it to end. But now that I can go back and mow through everyone with infinite ammo, I kinda like it. :p

Neiteio

JB1981 said:
What do you mean "multiple endings?" Is there a good ending and a bad ending like in BioShock, and I'm the only one who didn't get the memo?

burgerdog

JB1981 said:

Wat? There is only one ending.

Ridley327

He probably phrased it wrong, but I think he means something along the lines of most Japanese devs taking forever to end their game.

Neiteio

The whole bit about the "exploding barrel factory" got me thinking about another odd detail, not just in RE5 but the RE universe in general. The heroes are dealing with bioterrorists... Who never use the far more efficient tactic of killing everyone through an airborne pathogen, but we'll ignore that for now... And yet our heroes never get ill, or bother to wear latex gloves or gas masks when walking around clinics full of mutagens and experiements gone wrong... What, does Chris take the biggest Flintstone vitamin known to man?

Oh, and congrats Sinatar, good job on playing the game the right way. I hope to do the same. I'm taking my time; no rush to exhaust everything this game has to offer!

Neiteio said:
The whole bit about the "exploding barrel factory" got me thinking about another odd detail, not just in RE5 but the RE universe in general. The heroes are dealing with bioterrorists... Who never use the far more efficient tactic of killing everyone through an airborne pathogen, but we'll ignore that for now... And yet our heroes never get ill, or bother to wear latex gloves or gas masks when walking around clinics full of mutagens and experiements gone wrong... What, does Chris take the biggest Flintstone vitamin known to man?
There's only one smart man in Resident Evil when it comes to that:
Hunk.jpg

I guess some of the BSAA soldiers wore gas maks and protective gear too, but yeah you're right the main characters never do.

Top Bottom