• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Christopher

Neiteio said:
The whole bit about the "exploding barrel factory" got me thinking about another odd detail, not just in RE5 but the RE universe in general. The heroes are dealing with bioterrorists... Who never use the far more efficient tactic of killing everyone through an airborne pathogen, but we'll ignore that for now... And yet our heroes never get ill, or bother to wear latex gloves or gas masks when walking around clinics full of mutagens and experiements gone wrong... What, does Chris take the biggest Flintstone vitamin known to man?

Oh, and congrats Sinatar, good job on playing the game the right way. I hope to do the same. I'm taking my time; no rush to exhaust everything this game has to offer!

The viruses thus far aren't airbourne.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Neiteio said:
The whole bit about the "exploding barrel factory" got me thinking about another odd detail, not just in RE5 but the RE universe in general. The heroes are dealing with bioterrorists... Who never use the far more efficient tactic of killing everyone through an airborne pathogen, but we'll ignore that for now... And yet our heroes never get ill, or bother to wear latex gloves or gas masks when walking around clinics full of mutagens and experiements gone wrong... What, does Chris take the biggest Flintstone vitamin known to man?
I think it's probably to make sure that the main characters are recognizable.

Sectus

Neiteio said:
The one-hit kill enemy has been in RE4-style games since... Well, RE4. Just run to give yourself elbow room, then turn and exploit their weak points.

So, how much media is available on Versus mode? I'm itching to check out screens and footage, if available. Is there a set date for the Versus mode DLC yet?
Official release date for Japan is 9th april. Expect lots of videos and screenshots from me at least :p

pollo

Banned
So does it bother anyone else that they're supposed to be in West Africa yet the Zombies are speaking Swahili? :lol

Sectus

New mercs videos from me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVH6Pzg0geY&fmt=22 - Splitscreen - Experimental Facility - 285k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2we6q_5DR0k&fmt=22 - Splitscreen - Ship Deck - 252k - part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6xki5dPBLA&fmt=22 - Splitscreen - Ship Deck - 252k - part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry2lj3pRt_8&fmt=22 - Splitscreen - Prison - 237k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KloCUUjR7Lc&fmt=22 - Solo - Ship Deck - 147k - part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMqbNlem0ao&fmt=22 - Solo - Ship Deck - 147k - part 2

the_zombie_luke said:
There's only one smart man in Resident Evil when it comes to that:
Hunk.jpg

I guess some of the BSAA soldiers wore gas maks and protective gear too, but yeah you're right the main characters never do.
Hunk is the best character in Resident Evil, and it's a damn shame he isn't in this one. Just skin swap him wish someone in Mercenaries and make every melee attack the neck break :-(

NG28

I just finished the game earlier today doing split screen co-op. I enjoyed 4 a lot, but I enjoyed this one more which is probably because of the co-op. They also really nailed the re-playability for me too. Usually after beating a game I take a break, but I jumped right back in to upgrade stuff and experience it again.

Neiteio

Sectus said:
New mercs videos from me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVH6Pzg0geY&fmt=22 - Splitscreen - Experimental Facility - 285k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2we6q_5DR0k&fmt=22 - Splitscreen - Ship Deck - 252k - part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6xki5dPBLA&fmt=22 - Splitscreen - Ship Deck - 252k - part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry2lj3pRt_8&fmt=22 - Splitscreen - Prison - 237k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KloCUUjR7Lc&fmt=22 - Solo - Ship Deck - 147k - part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMqbNlem0ao&fmt=22 - Solo - Ship Deck - 147k - part 2
YES! These are my three favorite Mercs maps, being played by Sectus, and some of 'em are in splitscreen. Good stuff here, folks. I'm bookmarking this post to watch 'em later.

And yeah, Hunk's the only RE hero that makes sense given the fact they're dealing with bioterrorism. Bring on the DLC!

woxel1

Neiteio said:
The heroes are dealing with bioterrorists... Who never use the far more efficient tactic of killing everyone through an airborne pathogen, but we'll ignore that for now...
If the virus in question were to immediately and totally wipe out the infected, it wouldn't have a chance to spread and would thus be ineffective.

Also, you know the way zombies sprint up to you but then stop a few steps in front? Do you think Chris forgot his deodorant?

just a quick question my brother and I are trying to play co-op but it says the game session has been canceled every time we try to invite each other. I have the game installed and he does not do we both have to install the game in order to play co-op?

NG28

Does anyone know which section nets the most cash?

I'm assuming it is the staircase level with the batcrawfish at the end, which I counted about 35k in just treasure on one run through. Is there a level that provides more? I'm looking to get rich quick.

Jonsoncao

Banned
360 leaderboard got 650k ppl on it......

increasing sooooo fast, last week its like 350k

and 300k ppl on Merc leaderboard!!! so many ppl beat the game once zomfg....

{Mike}

Banned
Jonsoncao said:
360 leaderboard got 650k ppl on it......

increasing sooooo fast, last week its like 350k

and 300k ppl on Merc leaderboard!!! so many ppl beat the game once zomfg....

Confirmed ; Resident Evil 6 to feature even more cover, first-person on-rails scenes and even less horror/suspense/survival than before. If you guys still think they will reboot this series to a more puzzle heavy / old-school feeling, you're wrong. They see what sells to the masses : a carbon copy with no imagination. Not saying the game is just bad, but I'll miss the good old days of RE.

Red Blaster said:
Those one-hit kill bugs are total bullshit. Only a retarded fuckstick would actually think those were a good idea to put into a game where you can't move and shoot at the same time.

The best solution for those guys is either the grenade launcher or the shotgun. I think 3 to 4 accurate hits will take them down if you hit those little white spots that sprout out of their bodies. I hate them also, but of course keep your distance and accurately nail them with a powered up shotgun and they will go down easy. A grenade launcher works great also, but ammo isn't near as common unfortunately.

Brakara

Rhazer Fusion said:
The best solution for those guys is either the grenade launcher or the shotgun. I think 3 to 4 accurate hits will take them down if you hit those little white spots that sprout out of their bodies. I hate them also, but of course keep your distance and accurately nail them with a powered up shotgun and they will go down easy.

Yeah, by the time I got to 6-3 I had a souped up M3 and the reapers went down in just a few shots. I had a problem with the two minibosses though, until
I found the turret
. :D

Great game. Now I need to unlock more weapons and find all the treasures. And then there's Mercs. I have to say, the replayability for this game is off the charts (and having a persistent inventory is awesome).

the_zombie_luke said:
There's only one smart man in Resident Evil when it comes to that:
Hunk.jpg

I guess some of the BSAA soldiers wore gas maks and protective gear too, but yeah you're right the main characters never do.
HUNK better appear in the Versus mode DLC pack for all bonus modes. Just give him a maxed out MP5, a spray and 5 grenades and we'll be set.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
NG28 said:
I just finished the game earlier today doing split screen co-op. I enjoyed 4 a lot, but I enjoyed this one more which is probably because of the co-op. They also really nailed the re-playability for me too. Usually after beating a game I take a break, but I jumped right back in to upgrade stuff and experience it again.
Yeah the co-op experience is more fun than RE4 for the simple reason it's co-op lol. When you play the game solo it doesn't hold a candle to RE4. If RE4 had an HD makeover with co-op it would be the perfect game.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
cvxfreak said:
For me, it's:

5 > 4 > 3 > 1 > 6 > 2
Cosign. That's mine exactly except I would switch 2 with 6. The last stage was truly underwhelming in subsequent playthroughs. I still feel the game had nothing that compared to all the cool set pieces found in RE4. In RE4 The Castle level barely beats out the other two locations as my favorite. They were all just such high quality level designs and every enemy in the game was placed perfectly. Not to mention RE4 had much much better enemy variety.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I find the love for chapter 5 in this thread incredibly surprising to say the least. When I was going through it in co-op and later on solo I had it locked down as worst chapter of the game by far. 5-1 is good, but the rest (except for the boss at the end) just wasn't any fun for me. Mostly because it had all the crappy cover system sections. Going through that chapter on replays is always a drag. My rating: 3>1>4>6>2>5

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
JB1981 said:
I will probably have to start the entire last chapter over again because I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH FUCKING AMMO TO DEFEAT THE LAST BOSS. He is SO FUCKING EASY TOO BUT THESE SHIT DEVS DON'T GIVE ME ENOUGH FUCKING AMMO TO TO FUCKING BEAT HIM.

FUCK. THIS. GAME.

I even sold off both vests and a bunch of other machine guns just so I could have enough loot to buy extra ammo and I STILL don't have enough ammo to kill this motherfucker. I am shooting with precision and conserving my ammo as well. Again. FUCK. THIS. GAME.
Don't give that ***** any guns that use ammo to your favorite guns. She will eat through your ammo faster than you can say Biohazard. Give her the stun rod and the bolt action rifle with upgraded capacity. It goes all the way up to 50 and the slower fire rate will make sure you paces her shots. Then when you want her to not use the gun at all put her on cover. A great places to pick up ammo and supplies is actually the first stage. Just make sure you have the weapons you want ammo for in your inventory and set the difficulty to amateur.

Also if your that desperate to beat Wesker just go to 3-1, drive to the boat and grab the rocket launcher. Takes about 2 minutes tops. I have like 7 of them all saved up and even had to sell some. This game made it unbelievably easy to acquire weapons but ridiculously tedious to upgrade them.

pollo said:
So does it bother anyone else that they're supposed to be in West Africa yet the Zombies are speaking Swahili? :lol

Do they? The Ganados in RE4 are supposed to be Spanish, yet they speak a South American dialect.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I found Chapter 5 to be pretty bland from both an environmental and gameplay standpoint. 5-1 was brilliant, and there were flashes of greatness throughout 5-2 and 5-3, but running through the dark military base taking cover every now and then just doesn't hold up on repeat play throughs (although I did very much enjoy it the first time I played through it).

2=1>3>4>5>6

The environments in Chapter 5 and 6 just weren't anywhere near as interesting as the chapters that proceeded preceded them (although the lab sections/underground temple area of 5 was great). I didn't not like the ship, it was fun, but it just wasn't anywhere near as cool as the Shanty Town.

Chapter 1, 2, 3 and 4 were all fantastic though (although the lever pulling room in 4-1 can be a drag if you're playing in single player).

Sectus

The game looks insanely pretty. If I wasn't too lazy, I'd take more random screenshots of cutscenes and gameplay. It's surprisingly easy to find frames which looks really amazing.

Comp10020122.jpg

A few other screenshots (I'll just post links as they would show minor spoilers):
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10003227.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10021007.jpg (for some reason, this part of the scene always makes me giggle "Oh hai, can I smile at camera too please?")
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10010801.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10020620.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10000225.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10001313.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10000301_1.jpg

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
wi@tt said:
what's the best way to earn more gold? I need to seriously do some upgraded.
2 ways.

Either beat 4-1 over and over again finding all the treasure for a quick 40,000 (this includes selling the rocket launcher you find near the end of the stage).

Or you can play 5-2 and get to the part where you have to kill like 10 lickers in a long thin factory hallway. After you kill the last licker for a total of FIVE red heart jewels worth 2,500 each DO NOT go through the door at the end of the hallway. Instead quit out and save then go to continue game. You will start right before fighting the 10 lickers. Rinse and repeat. The lickers are easy to kill as long as you have a fully upgraded rifle with infinite ammo turned on (NOT the bolt action one). Either give the bolt action to Sheva or buy the bow and arrow you get for maxing out the bolt action rifle. She is insanely fast with aiming the bow and it is super powerful.

The only other weapon I would recommend doing this with is the unlimited rocket launcher or the hand cannon again fully maxed out with unlimited ammo. I was able to get over 125k doing this method for about 15 minutes straight.

When it comes down to it accumulating money was infinitely more fun in RE4. Combining treasure to triple or quadruple their value was one of my favorite aspects they removed from part 5. I would be able to get 2.5 Million in a single playthrough in that game.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I think a lot of hardcore vets of RE4 like chapter 5 because it was arguably the most challenging part in the entire game. RE5 becomes relatively easy when you learn how to neutralize Sheva from screwing you up.

JB1981

Sectus said:
The game looks insanely pretty. If I wasn't too lazy, I'd take more random screenshots of cutscenes and gameplay. It's surprisingly easy to find frames which looks really amazing.

Comp10020122.jpg

A few other screenshots (I'll just post links as they would show minor spoilers):

Easily one of the best looking games on the 360. Japanese devs are finally catching up to Western devs in terms of tech.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I have to say this one more time because I really really mean it with a fucking passion. I HATE SHEVA'S AI! This game would be 10x more enjoyable if they designed a single player campaign mode specifically for one character. Playing on the hardest difficulty with Sheva is like having your teeth pulled while someone stick bamboo chutes up your finger nails. On 6-1 the very beginning when you have to go into cover mode and snipe the majini with assault rifles no matter which mode I put her in she refuses to attack any enemie who try to come towards us. While I'm busy sniping she'll let a majini walk right past her and let him attack me so I have to keep coming in and out of my sniper view in cover position just to maker sure no enemies are sneaking up on me. And it's not like they're hidden either because these guys are in plain view running towards us.

Another annoyance is how she refuses to co-operate with me fighting the insect creatures. She has no idea how to take one down so if she gets near one she's as good as dead but the insult is if I use an electric round to stun them and reveal the weak spot she refuses to take aim and shoot it. By the time I switch to another weapon to shoot the weak spot it recovers. It's like the devs went out of their way to punish people who don't play co-op and that's just bad game design. They obviously weren't thinking about these types of situations.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Unbelievable she must know I was talking about her because she just let another majini sneak up on me and tag the hell out of me. It's weird because on certain levels she would sometimes engage incoming enemies who I was not targeting so whether or not she covers you seems to be completely random. Horrible.

Davey Cakes

So, I went back and played RE4. The game is still awesome, yada yada.

But is it just me, or are the enemies in RE4 more aggressive than those in RE5?

We were playing the Boat Boss Battle this weekend and I'd not seen the grenade boat gun since I'd only played it solo and holy shit, man. Best explosions I've ever seen in a game.

LiK

Rash said:

yea, definitely tough. i replayed a little bit of RE4 last night and it seemed like they were way more aggressive than the Manjinis. and they seemed to do more dmg per hit compared to RE5's Normal mode.

Prine

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
We were playing the Boat Boss Battle this weekend and I'd not seen the grenade boat gun since I'd only played it solo and holy shit, man. Best explosions I've ever seen in a game.

Best graphics I've witnessed too. So epic, i was in awe when i played that section.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Prine said:
Josh is such a G.

Josh > Sheva >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest

true that.

while Chris and Sheva have to go through all kinds of marshes and whatnot, Josh just closes his eyes and reaches the place, he doesn't even know it himself how he did that.

Prine said:
Best graphics I've witnessed too. So epic, i was in awe when i played that section.

It was so rad, because I think when I played solo I barely even noticed much of the sides, but this time I was like "Holy shit! What are you doing! Oh my GOD!"

Just these amazing little bursts, illuminating the water, smoke fanning out. Really stunning.

Prine

Banned
chandoog said:
true that.

while Chris and Sheva have to go through all kinds of marshes and whatnot, Josh just closes his eyes and reaches the place, he doesn't even know it himself how he did that.

Comp10021007.jpg

I can't believe all this chapter 5 love. Isn't that the one that takes place inside an explosion factory? Where they are carting propane tanks into a furnace endlessly, for no apparent reason?

AWESOME LEVEL DESIGN GUYS!

still love the game completely

NameIess

Prine said:

Definately the best multiplatform visuals and arguably some of the best visuals period.
Perhaps Capcom needs to licsense their Framework engine to other developers...

The cutscene visuals are starting to get very close to "CG like" quality and I would imagine we could see those visuals ingame toward the end of the console generation or the next console release.

cvxfreak

I still can't believe Josh survived.

I kept calling him "the next Kenneth/Marvin/Tyrell" before release.

Those are the black people that died either immediately or gruesomely in RE1/2/3.

LiK

cvxfreak said:

Those are the black people that died either immediately or gruesomely in RE1/2/3.

yea, pretty refreshing to see.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Rash said:

They're just better all around. Pro mode in RE5 has very aggressive enemies though. I would say they are a notch harder than the enemies in RE4 pro mode only because they run from a distance full sprint and have lunging attacks from at least 6 meters away. The AR Manjini in Pro are particularly dangerous.

I would like to see a game that combines the best elements of RE4 (damn near everything) and the best elements in RE5 (Co-op, quicker enemies, stage select and optional unified saves) into a spin-off game since RE6 is suppose to take more than 6 years to complete.

eshwaaz

cvxfreak said:

Same here. Especially since his, "We were attacked, and... um... then I ended up here." line sounded so suspicious. When they show the pre-mutation Uroboros Mkono sitting in the chair in shadow, I was so sure that was Josh.

Top Bottom