• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Is there a good place to get hi res pictures of Midnight Wesker with the coat?

Neiteio

LiK said:
yea, i thought of the same thing as well. it'll be cool if there are additional stuff we can learn about. but since the producer said RE6 *might* be a series reboot, that's gonna suck big time.
I really hope by "reboot" he means "gameplay recalibration," and even then, I hope they more or less keep the current gameplay. Sure, they've closed the
STARS
arc, but they could still find tales to tell with the established characters. Surely Capcom won't forgo all the gaming celebrities that have made them many a pretty penny.

Neiteio

dgenx said:
Is there a good place to get hi res pictures of Midnight Wesker with the coat?

re5-albert-wesker.jpg

View many more HERE!

Best models ever.

EDIT: If the render doesn't show up above, take the link.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Neiteio said:
I really hope by "reboot" he means "gameplay recalibration," and even then, I hope they more or less keep the current gameplay. Sure, they've closed the
STARS
arc, but they could still find tales to tell with the established characters. Surely Capcom won't forgo all the gaming celebrities that have made them many a pretty penny.
I hope they don't make too many changes to the gameplay. Although adding more atmosphere and some more "scary" enemies and locations would be welcome.
I'm sure that story-wise it will continue. I bet Ada was working for Tricell and that'll come into play. I bet the next game will likely have Leon, possibly with Claire if they keep co-op, investigating a Tricell lab that was making more BOWs and continuing Umbrellas work.

Daigoro

i hit the 90 hr mark this weekend.

i finally unlocked all of the bonus features (meaning infinite ammo for the last few guns) shortly after the 80 hrs.

i spent way too many hours playing Mercs this weekend.

replayability bitches.

so far... not liking it much....
- you can't hit when you want
- Sheva shouldn't be there (nice ass though)
- you can't jump off stuff where you want
- too many silly short cutscenes
- controls/ aiming should be dead space style period (i allready hated the controls in RE4, but loved that game)

i'll keep playing it and i think i'll grow i to it more (just started.. but anyway.. impressions so far :p)

Neiteio

shpankey said:
I have no idea what this is... so I google it, first link on google's result list is... du du duuuu THIS THREAD. :lol
Sectus is Mercs-and-Screen-Caps Jesus.

I hear Sectus will take more Sheva pics. If he doesn't, well, clearly he's racist.

Always-Honest, we appreciate the... always honest opinions, but stick with it. The game's breaking you in.

Actually, expect that it'll suck. Then it should blow you away!

PowderedToast

Always-honest said:
- controls/ aiming should be dead space style period (i allready hated the controls in RE4, but loved that game)

i'll keep playing it and i think i'll grow i to it more (just started.. but anyway.. impressions so far :p)
that would make it much, much easier though. it's all about balance with a control system like this.

PowderedToast said:
that would make it much, much easier though. it's all about balance with a control system like this.

true, but this way you wait for an icon to pop up and often you're (well: i'm) too late.
but i'll get used to it.. game just doesn't feel very.... 2009... yet.. does look good.

dorkimoe

fuck the end battle
someone help me

fucking no ammo fuck
1) i have like 0 ammo, and when i did the upgrade capacity to get the free clips, i had like 30 bullets to shoot the orange things on his back and chest. I would hit his back with the shotgun, so then the front would show i shot it at LEAST 20 times with the magnum and i did this for about 10 minutes until i run out of ammo . HOw the hell do you kill him...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dorkimoe said:
fuck the end battle
someone help me

fucking no ammo fuck
1) i have like 0 ammo, and when i did the upgrade capacity to get the free clips, i had like 30 bullets to shoot the orange things on his back and chest. I would hit his back with the shotgun, so then the front would show i shot it at LEAST 20 times with the magnum and i did this for about 10 minutes until i run out of ammo . HOw the hell do you kill him...
After you hit him in the chest run up to him, grab him, then do the QTE to finish him.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
dorkimoe said:
fuck the end battle
someone help me

fucking no ammo fuck

:lol

All you have to do is stun him once with the magnum, then run up behind him and initiate the final QTE

Always-honest said:

So you loved RE4 and not liking RE5 too much, although all your negative points can be applied to RE4? (except the Sheva one).

ok.

Man, getting all the treasure it's getting harder,it's way harder than the BSAA emblems by far. And Mercenaries Prison it's such a bitch, just tried a couple of times and I realized it's gonna be hard get good scores.

And if Sheva ass is nice,
Jill
one is gorgeous, I'm thinking of playing Mercenaries only with
her and his battlesuit
..., Capcom need to release a patch to change
Jill
model for the Sheva one, I'll buy it at high price, stranger!

myDingling said:
This has probably been mentioned before, but I wish Capcom would have integrated Billy from RE0 into the RE5 Africa/setting. Maybe they could've made him a part in Sheva's story somehow. I hate to have him just hanging like a broken toenail with no real purpose and RE5 wouldve been the perfect place for him.

Billy it's with Carlos drinking some beers on the "Forgetten Baul" Bar on the "Useless characters" street. Probably Sheva will be with them...

This has probably been mentioned before, but I wish Capcom would have integrated Billy from RE0 into the RE5 Africa/setting. Maybe they could've made him a part in Sheva's story somehow. I hate to have him just hanging like a broken toenail with no real purpose and RE5 wouldve been the perfect place for him.

Relaxed Muscle said:
So you loved RE4 and not liking RE5 too much, although all your negative points can be applied to RE4? (except the Sheva one).

ok.
Yep. different game, different times. i'm sure i'm not the only one. but i'm a little biit further now, and i'm beginning to adjust to the controls (the suck, but our brain adapts..), just like in RE4.. missing the atmosphere so far, but i'm positive there will be some stunning levels.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Always-honest said:
Yep. different game, different times. i'm sure i'm not the only one. but i'm a little biit further now, and i'm beginning to adjust to the controls (the suck, but our brain adapts..), just like in RE4.. missing the atmosphere so far, but i'm positive there will be some stunning levels.
This argument does not work on any level, but by all means, continue enjoying the game as you see fit.

dorkimoe

Applesauce said:
:lol

All you have to do is stun him once with the magnum, then run up behind him and initiate the final QTE

finally, i got it the 1st time after you guys said what to do, but somehow sheva got killed, then i got it

thanks

USD

dorkimoe said:
finally, i got it the 1st time after you guys said what to do, but somehow sheva got killed, then i got it

thanks
If Chris doesn't have enough health before initiating the QTE, he'll die in the process of finishing the boss off and Sheva will get drilled (literally).

Rez said:
This argument does not work on any level, but by all means, continue enjoying the game as you see fit.

different in important ways if you ask me: not the same atmosphere at all, and you have a partner.............. (no, ashley was not a partner) and i think this game feels rather unimmersive in these times (all the little cutscenes, lots of loading screens).

it's not bad. just ventilating my gripes so far. i'm sure it will get more enjoyable as i progress.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Always-honest said:
different in important ways if you ask me: not the same atmosphere at all, and you have a partner.............. (no, ashley was not a partner) and i think this game feels rather unimmersive in these times (all the little cutscenes, lots of loading screens).

it's not bad. just ventilating my gripes so far. i'm sure it will get more enjoyable as i progress.
For some reason I read your post as saying "the base mechanics of RE4 are outdated". I probably jumped the gun, my bad (it's early, I'm still half-asleep). ;)

Kard8p3

So I was watching one of the old trailers and I realized that the scene with tube girl waking up inside the tube wasn't in the final game. I would have liked to see a scene where they release her from it.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Neiteio said:
*gives dgx models link*

Thanks! really good models and art there!

awesome model of Wesker!

is it wrong that I only play Mercenaries over and over again to one day achieve the SS rank in all maps? I can't stop :(

Neiteio

Look. Look at this sonovabitch:

RE5Render-ExecutionerMajini.jpg

The pincushion head. The stitches, the hooks. The (inexplicably) purple skin. The (inexplicably shaped) axe. The blood-soaked apron. The blood-soaked gloves. The iron stakes driven through his back. So metal. So silent.

Never thought I'd say it, but this guy usurps Dr. Salvador. Yeah, bag-head is emblematic of last generation but, y'know, he's a guy with a bag on his head. So's this one, but the Executioner killed Turban Man (R.I.P. Turban Man), and destroyed a dozen buildings looking for you, and you never heard him coming. Plus, he and his flamboyant red brother stalk Prison, which Einstein proved is the best Mercs map.

Had to share the love, because I'm loving.

kaskade

Kard8p3 said:
So I was watching one of the old trailers and I realized that the scene with tube girl waking up inside the tube wasn't in the final game. I would have liked to see a scene where they release her from it.
Wasn't that just a teaser for
Jill
?

Neiteio said:
So's this one, but the Executioner killed Turban Man (R.I.P. Turban Man), and destroyed a dozen buildings looking for you, and you never heard him coming.

He has a name you know. Reynard. Show some respect for a bit character that gets killed 10 minutes into the game ok? :D

fernoca

Kard8p3 said:
It made it..kinda....
as one of the pics Chris received during Chapter 2 I think it was, the one were he realized Jill was alive.

ThePeacemaker02 said:
Wasn't that just a teaser for
Jill
?

They do show her inside a tube. It's a part of the PDA file Chris gets ahold of and finds out about Jill. It's just a photo but it's the same angle as the shot in the trailers

Neiteio

SuperEnemyCrab said:
He has a name you know. Reynard. Show some respect for a bit character that gets killed 10 minutes into the game ok? :D
Reynard Fisher. Maybe it's you who should show some respect.

And be careful out there. ;)

Kard8p3

I like the guy that did Reynards voice and motion capture. He's the same guy that did sanctus in DMC4. That also reminds me that josh was voiced and mo-capped by the guy that did agnus in DMC4. Then of course dantes voice/mo-cap actor did the mo-cap for chris and voiced the guy that drives the jeep in 2-3.

Neiteio

Kard8p3 said:
I like the guy that did his voice and motion capture. He's the same guy that did sanctus in DMC4. That also reminds me that josh was voiced and mo-capped by the guy that did agnus in DMC4. Then of course dantes voice/mo-cap actor did the mo-cap for chris and voiced the guy that drives the jeep in 2-3.
It's a case of doing the most with the least. I consider it a testament to Liam O'Brien (and whoever did the mo-cap; was that Liam as well?) that in the short time we knew him, I liked Reynard. I looked forward to meeting him again, only to feel shitty when he got axed. Which in turn gave Public Assembly some dramatic thrust, as I sought out the Executioner and whupped his ass. We get so few friends in a RE game, so it always sucks to lose 'em. I still haven't gotten over Luis. ;__;

Kard8p3 said:

There are very different sections in the first trailers and some action seen in them didn't make it to the final game. I guess it was completely an experimental work in progress stage rather than a fully planned section, but whatever. And what happened with that gameplay element about not being too long under the burning sun or else Chris would hallucinate? I've got the feeling they had to ditch that as soon as they decided to make a cooperative shooter.

Kard8p3

Neiteio said:
It's a case of doing the most with the least. I consider it a testament to Liam O'Brien (and whoever did the mo-cap; was that Liam as well?) that in the short time we knew him, I liked Reynard. I looked forward to meeting him again, only to feel shitty when he got axed. Which in turn gave Public Assembly some dramatic thrust, as I sought out the Executioner and whupped his ass. We get so few friends in a RE game, so it always sucks to lose 'em. I still haven't gotten over Luis. ;__;

Yeah as far as I know liam did the Mo-cap as well. I would have liked him to stick around a bit longer since I'm a fan of Liam but I still liked him for the short time he was there. I like that capcom and just cause seem to have found some great actors and are sticking with them. I just remembered that the woman the did the voice of rebecca in Umbrella chronicles and did the voice and mo-cap of kyrie in DMC4 did the voice and mo-cap for the blonde girl in RE5. I want capcom to do another animated RE movie but in the style of the RE5 cutscenes. I honestly like the look of RE5 better than degeneration.

Philanthropist said:
There are very different sections in the first trailers and some action seen in them didn't make it to the final game. I guess it was completely an experimental work in progress stage rather than a fully planned section, but whatever. And what happened with that gameplay element about not being too long under the burning sun or else Chris would hallucinate? I've got the feeling they had to ditch that as soon as they decided to make a cooperative shooter.

Yeah but I still would have liked to see it in game. Why does everyone assume that the heat mechanic got cut because of co-op? Maybe it wasn't working out the way they wanted it to or maybe it screwed with the pace of the game.

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah but I still would have liked to see it in game. Why does everyone assume that the heat mechanic got cut because of co-op? Maybe it wasn't working out the way they wanted it to or maybe it screwed with the pace of the game.

Yeah, I would agree on that. Maybe if the pace was slower or the action was more puzzle-oriented, it could have worked somehow. It doesn't seem clever to make a somewhat slow game as it is even slower if your coop partner has to wait for you to recover from the weather conditions or even worse, have to nurse you regularly. It could have been a good idea if executed properly, but it may be easier said than done.

It wouldn't be the first time Capcom completely redesigns a game before it's done though. RE2 was remade nearly before the first version was going to get a solid release date, and the early RE4 designs eventually gave birth to Devil May Cry.

Neiteio

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah as far as I know liam did the Mo-cap as well. I would have liked him to stick around a bit longer since I'm a fan of Liam but I still liked him for the short time he was there. I like that capcom and just cause seem to have found some great actors and are sticking with them. I just remembered that the woman the did the voice of rebecca in Umbrella chronicles and did the voice and mo-cap of kyrie in DMC4 did the voice and mo-cap for the blonde girl in RE5. I want capcom to do another animated RE movie but in the style of the RE5 cutscenes. I honestly like the look of RE5 better than degeneration.
I agree. Sorta like how the Naruto anime should use the engine from Ultimate Ninja Storm. (Not a fan of the series, but the cel-shading and full 3D fighting in that game blew my mind.) What's cool is you can watch all of RE5's cutscenes in order, with subtitles turned off, and when viewed back-to-back they actually make sense and form something of a coherent plot, even without all the connective tissue of the gameplay in-between. It's a pretty damn good movie, too, given it's Resident Evil with all the cheese and melodrama that entails. Make yourself a taco salad and set the game to play all the cutscenes in order. Good times! :D

I think you answered your own question. For co-op to work well the experience has to be fast and smooth. Hence the streamlined treasure system and numerous other changes. Having to micro-manage your body temperature would've been an unnecessary layer of tedium in what's best played as a drop-in, drop-out co-op experience.

dorkimoe

this might be one of the few games i play through again, was really awesome

need to do coop on veteran

id like to get the achievements to upgrade everything and the gattling gun but i have no money :(

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I dunno. I give Axe man a lot more respect than I did Salvador in RE4, mainly because it's easy for him to sneak up on you. That goes double for his brother in the Prison. That being said, Super Salvador still puts a lot more fear in my heart than either one. I still remember him jumping all the way up to where I spawned at in the waterworld stage in RE4, and decapping me as soon as the round started. ;.; He also doesn't have the nice weakspots they both have...

USD

Oldschoolgamer said:
I dunno. I give Axe man a lot more respect than I did Salvador in RE4, mainly because it's easy for him to sneak up on you. That goes double for his brother in the Prison. That being said, Super Salvador still puts a lot more fear in my heart than either one. I still remember him jumping all the way up to where I spawned at in the waterworld stage in RE4, and decapping me as soon as the round started. ;.; He also doesn't have the nice weakspots they both have...
I do love how they give a tribute to Super Salvador by having the chainsaw Majini go berserk after dropping him (though it doesn't take much more to finish him off after that). It was also a nice surprise, the first thing I thought was "that wasn't in the demo!" :lol

Neiteio

Oldschoolgamer said:
Ooo, Super Salvador. The scourge of Waterworld. Almost forgot him. Yeah, he was batshit insane, with his smoking double-bladed chainsaw. I suppose he could give Axeman a run for his money. Still, Axeman eats the little Salvador shits as part of a complete nutritious breakfast, and his big brother affords plenty of scares. Cowering in the corner of Prison, ammo-less, and watching the halls light up Balrog-style as he smashes the door with a flaming axe and comes strolling through... Now that's a-spicy meatball!

Erebus

Having unlocked infinite ammo for most of the weapons in the game (including rocket launcher), I'm about to start my first playthrough in professional.

I'm just wondering what weapons did you guys use in pro? Are vests useless in pro?

Pein

Banned
DarkUSS said:
Having unlocked infinite ammo for most of the weapons in the game (including rocket launcher), I'm about to start my first playthrough in professional.

I'm just wondering what weapons did you guys use in pro? Are vests useless in pro?
yeah vests are useless in pro

USD

Pein said:
yeah vests are useless in pro
They're not totally useless. The bulletproof vest will let you survive a crossbow arrow. Don't remember know about how well the melee vest works, I know it's useless against the wetland Majini with spears.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
DarkUSS said:

L. Hawk and Rocket launcher.

Erebus

Sounds fair, I'll just ditch them on the last chapters then. What about the weapons? Are rocket launcher and L. Hawk sufficient?

EDIT: OK thanks for the suggestions everyone.

TChirath

Neo Member
DarkUSS said:

In my experience, most melee hits still give you a dying status with or without the melee vest. However, most GUN bullets do not, so I usually have just the bullet vest on for later chapters but not the melee vest.

Top Bottom