• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Man, something about playing duo mercenaries as BSAA Jill and Stars Chris feels awesome. Nice nostalgic feel to it.

Christopher

okay Resident Evil 4 was such a fresh new and bold experience of course people are going to like it more than RE5, however I feel that RE5 did something impossible and actually made a game on par with RE4...it was such an amazing game that how on earth do you even begin to tackle it? Thankfully RE5 can seriously hold its own, while RE4 will always be such a great experience.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Neiteio said:
I meant to suggest hitting a distant target without laser assistance takes more skill. Playing with a random who sniped the goons on the revolving elevator with a pistol was pretty impressive.
I can do that too they aren't that far away when you stand towards the middle. I'm talking about completing ALL sniping sections with a handgun. I dare anyone to try it in RE5. You will pull your hair out.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Neiteio said:
The axeman doesn't lop your head off because he strangles you, throws you down and pulverizes your body. This is after he makes his own entrance by demolishing a wall and killing ten bystander Majini with a swing of his axe. He likes to have fun.

Oh, and you just know all the hook/needle/spike shit he has piercing his body is used to do horrible things. You can just picture that mofo pulling one of the stakes out of his back and driving it through someone's skull. Goddamn.

Heh, this RE pissing contest is so funny. Time to go play some RE5! A game you can actually play on an HDTV ohnoIdidn't.
What are you like writing stories and personalities for these characters in your head? He likes to have fun? lol

Ridley327

Yeah, I'm really not sure what game Neiteio played, but it certainly wasn't my copy of RE5.

Anyways, I just got done playing co-op for the first time online. My buddy isn't particularly great at the game, but I knew we could handle Veteran since I have the L. Hawk on infinite ammo and I'd like to think I'm an experienced enough player. We tore through chapter 3 in its entirety; it was a very fun time and was definitely an improvement on the solo experience, which is both a good and bad thing. If RE6 is simply another continuation of the RE4, I hope they have the sense to better balance the solo play while still retaining the co-op aspect.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
USD said:
Honestly I was disappointed with Pro. Not to say that it wasn't hard, or that there weren't challenging or frustrating parts, a lot of it made even tougher by my playing partners (PROTIP: don't play with randoms, especially in the last few chapters), but for the most part, it's basically playing Veteran mode with a chain attached to yourself and your partner. I would have preferred a difficulty that keep Veteran's damage levels but made the enemies far more relentless.

I am interested in doing a Pro run starting with an empty inventory. My first run was with infinite ammo off, but fully upgraded weapons still made taking down enemies easy.
Infinite ammo should only be used to achieve unlockables and attaining grade points and money. Playing the hardest difficulty with maxed out infinites defeats the whole purpose of even playing that mode. You do it for the challenge. I set challenge goals for myself like beating the game with a the stun rod and grenades. Knife ruins are a staple of the RE franchise and I'm hoping this game is no different.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Shaheed79 said:
I can do that too they aren't that far away when you stand towards the middle. I'm talking about completing ALL sniping sections with a handgun. I dare anyone to try it in RE5. You will pull your hair out.

What sniping sections even are there? You can pretty much do any part however you want. If it helps, I shot the emblem on the 6-1 ship with the magnum. :lol

Shaheed79 said:
Four or five? Lol did you complete RE4? Let's see once in the village, one coming out of the chief's house, 2 on the other side of the second El Gigante fight. That's five in the village. Then you have two in the mines and two in the ruins underneath the castle before the Indiana Jones style mine cart ride (damn that was awesome). So that's at least 9 that I remember off hand.

The Reapers are arguably the hardest single enemy in the game until you figure out to just use weapons with piercing perks.

IIRC isn't "two in the mines" and "two in the ruins underneath the castle" the same part? If so, that's 7. The 2 female chainsaw ganado are also avoidable, but if you fight them you miss out on the Gigante fight.

And Dr. Salvador was scary at first until you learn he acts just like the Ganado, and you can then knife him to death. :p

The Chainsaw Majini in 5 usually had swarms of people around you so it's a lot harder to do on him, not to mention he has a lot more health and takes a lot more to stun, though his AI isn't very aggressive he still manages to be a pretty big threat on the close quarters of the Ship Deck.

Lots of nostalgia about Dr. Salvador going on. He's certainly much weaker than the bigger enemies in RE5. The vanilla shotgun could send him to the ground.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Neiteio said:
You want a challenge? Try Pro without infinite weapons. RE4's challenge can't compare with that.
I've already beaten pro without infinite weapons. Twice. It's like playing Advanced but the enemies just take more damage.

EDIT: I recall getting 140+ combos on RE4 Mercs. Haven't come close to that on RE5 but you say RE5 is easier so I guess I'm really good, eh?
I have 122 combo in RE5 not RE4. I don't remember what my highest combo is in that game as it's between 3 different versions of the game. I do know I had some of the highest merc scores in all of GAF in the official RE4 topic.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Papercuts said:
What sniping sections even are there? You can pretty much do any part however you want. If it helps, I shot the emblem on the 6-1 ship with the magnum. :lol
You know the emblem at the beginning of 3-1? Ever try getting that without a partner? What weapon did you use? I mean sniping parts in general which is any battle where the enemy is further than your laser will show up on the enemy.

IIRC isn't "two in the mines" and "two in the ruins underneath the castle" the same part? If so, that's 7. The 2 female chainsaw ganado are also avoidable, but if you fight them you miss out on the Gigante fight.
Nope those are separate parts. Replay the game. You know the part right before the Indiana Jones Temple of Doom homage? Well its that part and then the area where you have to take the mine cart down to get the dynamite right before you fight the twin Elgigante's.

The Chainsaw Majini in 5 usually had swarms of people around you so it's a lot harder to do on him, not to mention he has a lot more health and takes a lot more to stun, though his AI isn't very aggressive he still manages to be a pretty big threat on the close quarters of the Ship Deck.
He has terribly slow reflexes in all difficulty levels. The only thing that makes him formidable is that you can't knock him down. I honestly felt the Garrador in RE4 was much more threatening for a non knockdown enemy and a pretty original weakness that took strategy to exploit efficiently. The way he killed you was more awesome as well.

Just beat RE5 for a second time. This time on Veteran. And didn't get the achievement for some reason. Also, after watching the ending for the second time
it just doesn't seem right to have Wesker dead. And if he survived, then that's retarded too considering he got shot a million times, overdosed with the virus, stabbed in the heart, and fell into a fucking volcano...So either way, it kind of sucks. The Wesker part this is.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
ToyMachine228 said:
Just beat RE5 for a second time. This time on Veteran. And didn't get the achievement for some reason. Also, after watching the ending for the second time
it just doesn't seem right to have Wesker dead. And if he survived, then that's retarded too considering he got shot a million times, overdosed with the virus, stabbed in the heart, and fell into a fucking volcano...So either way, it kind of sucks. The Wesker part this is.
Don't forget
shot with twin rocket launchers while immersed in hot lava
. Yeah I think it sucks too. Not how I imagined him leaving the series.

Anyone got all the treasures yet? I've got all but like 6 and I've searched through the game at least 7 times from start to finish trying to get all platinum on all difficulties. Where in the hell could these last ones be?

Papercuts

Shaheed79 said:
Anyone got all the treasures yet? I've got all but like 6 and I've searched through the game at least 7 times from start to finish trying to get all platinum on all difficulties. Where in the hell could these last ones be?

Some of the harder ones are probably

Kill the whole horde of Majini at the early part of 1-1 instead of running, last one drops a unique treasure.

The 5-3 Wesker fight has a lot. I think in one of the back rooms there's a jewel in a pot, there's the one coffin you need both to open for a magnum and other jewels, there's another if you go up the stairs and on the right side. If you defeat Wesker based off of damage the heart of africa will be in between the steps during the Jill fight.

Shoot all of the Majini on the crane on 6-1 ahead of time. You avoid the cage drop and one of should have dropped something when you go up the ladder after you would normally be caught.

Kill the boss in 4-1 instead of running for a soul gem.

2-2 in the market area, there's a chest surrounded by stalls that you need to lob a grenade at to get to.

Shoot the right pillar on the final fight before you cross the bridge that breaks to make it fall, after the bridge falls you can jump across to it(need to be chris).

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I don't see myself doing a knife only run with this game. I might attempt a handgun only run, with the default. I dunno. I don't think I'll feel like tackling the later chapters with it. :/

Man, this convo is bringing up so many memories of RE4. Did a run with the Matilda I think. Got to the section where you had to snipe Ashley off the walls, and nailed that shit without killing her. I spent like 5 minutes on that section. Takes two seconds with the rifle.

The duo Garrador room on Pro is infinitely harder than anything I've encountered in RE5. Same with the Krauser fight and the water room. Wesker goes down like a bitch with a partner, when you abuse his one track-minded AI.

LiK

Papercuts said:
Some of the harder ones are probably

Kill the whole horde of Majini at the early part of 1-1 instead of running, last one drops a unique treasure.

The 5-3 Wesker fight has a lot. I think in one of the back rooms there's a jewel in a pot, there's the one coffin you need both to open for a magnum and other jewels, there's another if you go up the stairs and on the right side. If you defeat Wesker based off of damage the heart of africa will be in between the steps during the Jill fight.

Shoot all of the Majini on the crane on 6-1 ahead of time. You avoid the cage drop and one of should have dropped something when you go up the ladder after you would normally be caught.

2-2 in the market area, there's a chest surrounded by stalls that you need to lob a grenade at to get to.

Shoot the right pillar on the final fight before you cross the bridge that breaks to make it fall, after the bridge falls you can jump across to it(need to be chris).

great info, thanks

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Got this one
I have all of these except that last one. Thanx.
Not sure about this one.
I had no idea you could run? lol Got that one.
Got that one.
Don't have this one. That still leaves at leas 4 that I'm missing. Thanks for the suggestions though. :)

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Christopher said:
okay Resident Evil 4 was such a fresh new and bold experience of course people are going to like it more than RE5, however I feel that RE5 did something impossible and actually made a game on par with RE4...it was such an amazing game that how on earth do you even begin to tackle it? Thankfully RE5 can seriously hold its own, while RE4 will always be such a great experience.

Well said.

But I want the yellow herbs back along with the creepy merchant in the next game :D

kuYuri

So, my original coop partner has abandoned the cause and now I need a new coop partner.

I'm at beginning of chapter 3-2. Anyone wanna coop with me? PSN: Strider2K99

LiK

Strider2K99 said:
So, my original coop partner has abandoned the cause and now I need a new coop partner.

I'm at beginning of chapter 3-2. Anyone wanna coop with me? PSN: Strider2K99

wanna restart from the beginning? shouldn't take long. PM me if interested

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Oldschoolgamer said:
I don't see myself doing a knife only run with this game. I might attempt a handgun only run, with the default. I dunno. I don't think I'll feel like tackling the later chapters with it. :/

Man, this convo is bringing up so many memories of RE4. Did a run with the Matilda I think. Got to the section where you had to snipe Ashley off the walls, and nailed that shit without killing her. I spent like 5 minutes on that section. Takes two seconds with the rifle.

The duo Garrador room on Pro is infinitely harder than anything I've encountered in RE5. Same with the Krauser fight and the water room. Wesker goes down like a bitch with a partner, when you abuse his one track-minded AI.
You're making me want to beat it all over again with the Red 9. Sniping Ashley off the wall was a true test of marksmanship. The duo Garrador part was one of the hardest parts with the handgun. I died so many times in RE4 playing that way but it was oh so much damn fun finding a way to beat it because you knew it was possible.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Shaheed79 said:
Don't have this one. That still leaves at leas 4 that I'm missing. Thanks for the suggestions though. :)

Did you get the one in
the mine with the lantern thingie? There's a diamond....pear, I think, where you can suddenly veer left near the end of the section

Other than that, there's one of each kind of 'cut' (pear, square, trilliant, brilliant, and the heart-shaped) IIRC, you should have about 4 slots open when you're done. Try searching 2-1 or 4-1 for ones embedded in the rocks/ceiling.

i would like the trophy for completing the whole game in coop

....uh....don't think that one exists.

/doesn't know if that's supposed to be the joke or not.

kuYuri

LiK said:
i havent touched coop, i would like the trophy for completing the whole game in coop ;)

There is no trophy for beating the game in coop, but anyway... sure, I'll start from the beginning. When do you want to do this?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Regarding the effects of the Uroboros -

Once exposed to the Uroboros virus, most humans turn into that big tentacle spaghetti thing, right? A small percentage (the "chosen" ones) evolve into some sort of superhuman, right?

That boss you fight with the flamethrower was rejected and so was Excella. Was Irving rejected too, or was he chosen? He didn't seem to turn into the normal tentacle monster.

Do we ever see examples of superhumans with the right kind of DNA who were chosen by Uroboros? Was that Jill?

Was this explained in one of the documents or files? I thought I read them all but I still seem a little confused on this matter. It doesn't help that there are so many different viruses in the RE universe.

Also - (RE4 spoilers)

The sample that Ada runs away with is a Las Plagas sample that Wesker and Tricell use to develop the Las Plagas version 2?

How far after RE4 is RE5 in the timeline, anyway?

I need Leon for DLC. Thrust Punch was a lot cooler than Cobra Strike, but I can kinda see how thrust punch would have been a bit broken.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Erico said:
Man, something about playing duo mercenaries as BSAA Jill and Stars Chris feels awesome. Nice nostalgic feel to it.

Or Chris BSAA & Chris STARS.

Its like 2 Marty McFly's fighting a bunch of Biffs. Kinda weird but so awesome.

Sidzed2

Alright everyone, I'm about to start my first PRO playthrough to get the trophy.

Now, unfortunately, none of my friends own a PS3 and so there will be no co-op partner for me, apart from randoms.

SO - please could all you masters give me the optimal infinite ammo load out for both Chris and Sheva (assuming she is AI-controlled)?

I'm thinking L-Hawk, Hydra and Rocket Launcher (all infinite) for Chris, and Sheva can have the Handcannon and M3. What do people think?

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Applesauce said:
Or Chris BSAA & Chris STARS.

Its like 2 Marty McFly's fighting a bunch of Biffs. Kinda weird but so awesome.

Haha, also Safari Chris and Clubbin Sheva make a nice visual pair in experimental facility. Feels like zombies crashed some euro nightclub. Just missing the techno soundtrack.

Metroidvania

Rentahamster said:

Once exposed to the Uroboros virus, most humans turn into that big tentacle spaghetti thing, right? A small percentage (the "chosen" ones) evolve into some sort of superhuman, right?

That boss you fight with the flamethrower was rejected and so was Excella. Was Irving rejected too, or was he chosen? He didn't seem to turn into the normal tentacle monster.

Do we ever see examples of superhumans with the right kind of DNA who were chosen by Uroboros? Was that Jill?

In regards to your first question,
Wesker is the only one we see whom Uruboros has successfully "bonded" with. Irving mentions that he wasn't given "the good stuff", implying that Jill via Excella gave him a different bioweapon, more similar to las plagas

In regards to your second,
Jill, IIRC, it's been a while since I've read the file, was just brainwashed by Wesker after he found remnants of Jill's partially cured T-virus (maye similar to Alice from the movies in RE:apocalypse, only not obviously as powerful) from RE3 in her system, which helped him to stabilize Uruboros. He kept her around to torment her and Chris, as well as harvest more of the 'partially cured' dormant T-virus in her system

The sample that Ada runs away with is a Las Plagas sample that Wesker and Tricell use to develop the Las Plagas version 2?

IIRC, Neitelo said something about Tricell formerly being named Seashell, though I couldn't seem to find the file in-game or in the library. In Ada's report, she mentions that she worked for a different pharmaceutical company, "S". This may explain why
Wesker had to seduce Excella, in order for her to take over the company and steal the las plagas sample and give it to him

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Metroidvania said:
Did you get the one in
the mine with the lantern thingie? There's a diamond....pear, I think, where you can suddenly veer left near the end of the section

Other than that, there's one of each kind of 'cut' (pear, square, trilliant, brilliant, and the heart-shaped) IIRC, you should have about 4 slots open when you're done. Try searching 2-1 or 4-1 for ones embedded in the rocks/ceiling.
Yup got the mine one. I notice the different kinds of cuts for each so I guess I can find out which ones I'm missing and search the faq. Thanks :)

Papercuts

Shaheed79 said:
Got this one
Not sure about this one.
Got that one.

You might just be missing random ones on the walls you need to shoot down, I can't really remember any of those that might be easy to miss though. By the way, there are 4 extra slots, are you including that? If not you should have them all after that.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Sidzed2 said:
Alright everyone, I'm about to start my first PRO playthrough to get the trophy.

Now, unfortunately, none of my friends own a PS3 and so there will be no co-op partner for me, apart from randoms.

SO - please could all you masters give me the optimal infinite ammo load out for both Chris and Sheva (assuming she is AI-controlled)?

I'm thinking L-Hawk, Hydra and Rocket Launcher (all infinite) for Chris, and Sheva can have the Handcannon and M3. What do people think?

Leave the launcher in your reserve.

I can play it w/ you if you want, but the RL pretty much eliminates any kind of challenge.

LiK

Strider2K99 said:
There is no trophy for beating the game in coop, but anyway... sure, I'll start from the beginning. When do you want to do this?

oh interesting, i thought there was. :lol

we can start from your chapter then

USD

Shaheed79 said:
Got this one
Not sure about this one.
Got that one.
There isn't a treasure to fill every slot on the inventory screen. After collecting all treasures (50 total, if I remember correctly), there should be 4 slots left open.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Sidzed2 said:

Since you're using infinite ammo and super weapons might as well give Sheva the Bow and Arrow and the L-Hawk. Bow comes infinite out the box. For you whatever you're most comfortable with. If' it's the L-Hawk then give Sheva the Hand Cannon. She won't miss.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
USD said:
There isn't a treasure to fill every slot on the inventory screen. After collecting all treasures (50 total, if I remember correctly), there should be 4 slots left open.
Oh well, I'm just missing the two papercuts mentioned. That's a relief. I had already combed through this game with a fine toothed comb.

Kard8p3

Rentahamster said:

Yes to the first question.
It explains in Irvings file that he injected himself with a control plagas (much like what the boss characters of 4 have.) When it comes to jill I forget exactly what the experiment done to her was but I know whatever she has only leaves her under someones control for a limited time so they had to build the device on her chest so they could constantly pump her full of the stuff

Christopher said:
What did Wekser inject himself with Urobourous or was it some kind of virus to keep him stabalized??

It never really says exactly what it is he's injecting himself with. We just know he needs it because his virus is unstable. We know he can successfully join with uroboros because of the final battle (remember he uroboroses up for the fight.)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kard8p3 said:
Yes to the first question.
It explains in Irvings file that he injected himself with a control plagas (much like what the boss characters of 4 have.)
Ah, I see.
I wonder why he exhibited Uroboros-like tentacles as well?

Kard8p3 said:
When it comes to jill I forget exactly what the experiment done to her was but I know whatever she has only leaves her under someones control for a limited time so they had to build the device on her chest so they could constantly pump her full of the stuff
Oh yeah that's right, the P03 stuff or whatever it was called.

Kard8p3 said:
It never really says exactly what it is he's injecting himself with. We just know he needs it because his virus is unstable. We know he can successfully join with uroboros because of the final battle (remember he uroboroses up for the fight.)
That means he's been constantly injecting himself with this stuff ever since the end of RE1?

In regards to his grand scheme:

How is Wesker so certain that he would be one of the chosen ones? How could he have known beforehand that Uroboros wouldn't have horribly mutated/killed him like it does for most of its victims? Didn't one of the ingame files (the one you read after killing the flamethrower Uroboros) say that the appearance of the tentacles was a sign of rejection? Does that mean that Wesker's transformation at the end was possibly an incomplete bonding? That Wesker's superhuman powers allowed him to tame and dominate Uroboros - similar to what Jill's antibodies did?

And why the hell didn't anyone follow up on Umbrella's most successful virus - the one T-virus variant that Wesker took? The most powerful virus they have and they never follow up on it? The G and T-Veronica viruses seem weak by comparison due to all the bad side effects.

Speaking of that special Wesker T-virus variant, it says in Wesker's file that the other Wesker children took it and that there were few survivors. I wonder what happened to these characters and if they'll be the basis of RE6.

Metroidvania said:
IIRC, Neitelo said something about Tricell formerly being named Seashell, though I couldn't seem to find the file in-game or in the library. In Ada's report, she mentions that she worked for a different pharmaceutical company, "S". This may explain why
Wesker had to seduce Excella, in order for her to take over the company and steal the las plagas sample and give it to him
I think that was from an early script of RE:Degeneration according to some RE wiki.

Thanks for the discussion, guys.

Kard8p3

Rentahamster said:
And why the hell didn't anyone follow up on Umbrella's most successful virus - the one T-virus variant that Wesker took? The most powerful virus they have and they never follow up on it? The G and T-Veronica viruses seem weak by comparison due to all the bad side effects.

Speaking of that special Wesker T-virus variant, it says in Wesker's file that the other Wesker children took it and that there were few survivors. I wonder what happened to these characters and if they'll be the basis of RE6.

the virus wesker took was a virus designed only for the subjects of the wesker children project. I think theres more to it than that but It's been awhile since I read the file. I really don't know what they'll do with the wesker children in the future. The file said there were a few survivors but spencer said wesker was the only survivor. I assume the file is more current than the spencer scene so it's possible that spencer thought the others died because none of the others ever came to see him. I believe they were designed to want to seek him out at some point. Maybe they can go into more detail with the whole thing in a later game.

Nemesis_

I think some of you are forgetting that Ada didn't actually work for "S" but instead the "Organisation" or the "Agency" as Annette refers to them in RE2.

She definitely had no intentions in handing over Las Plagas to Wesker after her mission in Pueblo.

Metroidvania

Nemesis556 said:
I think some of you are forgetting that Ada didn't actually work for "S" but instead the "Organisation" or the "Agency" as Annette refers to them in RE2.

She definitely had no intentions in handing over Las Plagas to Wesker after her mission in Pueblo.

There's the possibility that she switched jobs, but even if she was still working for "the agency"....unless the "fake" sample actually wasn't fake, how did Tricell get Las Plagas then, if Ada wasn't working for them?

Kard8p3

Metroidvania said:
There's the possibility that she switched jobs, but even if she was sitll working for "the agency"....unless the "fake" sample actually wasn't fake, how did Tricell get it then, if Ada wasn't working for them?

I've got a couple different theories. One simply being that wesker stole it. The other is that irving got it for tricell through the black market.

Neiteio

Shaheed79 said:
What are you like writing stories and personalities for these characters in your head? He likes to have fun? lol
Nope. If you read the quote I was responding to, Pojo invented a little story in jest about Salvador having been the smartest guy in the village gone mad, so I had some fun imagining why Axeman carries all these hooks, needles and other sharp pointy objects. From a practical standpoint, though, they just make him look cool. Moreso than a bland, one-attack bag-head RE4 saw fit to recycle nine times (by your count).

Really, did we need to fight Salvador that many times? You can knock him flat with one shotgun blast…

What parts can't you do with a handgun? You just have to guide your shots. I mean, if you’re talking about sniping the optional BSAA emblem on the tanker’s radar mast, that’s one thing, but where enemies are concerned it’s perfectly feasible to use a pistol. You can adjust the aiming speed in Options, which should help.

If there’s one thing I’ll have a hard time believing, it’s that RE5 is somehow weaker than RE4 in the combat department. You can show someone the two games side-by-side and it’ll be clear as day that RE5 has more bite. Ground finishers alone make all the difference in the world. This is one area where I see RE5 as clearly better, but whatever. To each his own.

On the topic of bosses and enemies: I don’t see how RE4 has a clear advantage. RE5 has a Majini equivalent for every Ganado in RE4, only the Majini do more and there are more ways to interact with them, whether we're talking QTE dodges during a Wetland Majini’s spear-jump or taking cover and returning fire against Base Majini carrying guns, something the soldiers of RE4 never considered. Speaking of the cover system, I may be in the minority but I found it VERY satisfying, whipping around a corner and sniping a headshot like Quick-Draw McGraw (with a pistol!), or shooting between scaffoldings to hit the smidgen of red tank visible from halfway across the room. I don’t know why RE4 had the ONE room in the mines where you could take cover and then Leon forgot how to shelter himself against enemy rocket fire and what-not, but I’m glad they brought it back because it’s fun and looks tight.

But back to enemies. The Majini did more to surprise me and keep me edge. Majini can do the running lunge twice as far, and circle-strafe you nearly three-quarters. They can climb structures, without or without a ladder. I like the face-hugger attack when you’re grabbed, too. And then you have the Wetland Majini, who can limbo under shots and stomp you like Mario (wtf!), and the Base Majini, who roll for cover and blind-fire. In RE4, each class of Ganado felt derivative of the one before, with mostly only the handheld weapons changing, and occasionally the plaga. In RE5, you have all these changes from class to class, plus sharp behavioral differences (for example, Wetland Majini can leap up ladders that Town Majini would climb).

The interaction extends to monsters as well. The sight-impaired Lickers, which climb walls and ceilings and have multiple ways to kill you up close or from afar, can be knocked back with a QTE uppercut or stabbed through the heart in the most badass finisher of all RE-dom. When it comes to plagas, each plaga in RE5 feels unique; while RE4 had the head-scythes, head-biters and acid-sprayers, the strategy for each was the same -- shoot it with all you got (or flash grenade) -- while RE5's plagas mix it up a bit, whether it's the armor of duvalia or the flying grapplers of kipepeo. Yes, you kill them by force too, but it feels fresh dealing with them because one’s a tank and the other’s airborne. I love the dogs with the bifurcated heads, too.

RE4 had… Regenerators, a couple Iron Maidens (which were more or less stretchy Regenerators), and Novistadors. Those are the ones I remember best. The knights were more bullet sponge than monster, collapsing in a heap after taking enough hit; nothing that struck my fancy as a monster lover. Given how much longer RE4 was, you would’ve expected more non-boss, non-ganado monsters to stave off repetition, but in the end it breaks even with RE5 and feels like monk after monk after monk after monk…

Now where bosses are concerned, there’s a lot to love in BOTH games. In RE4, we have Bitores Mendez, probably my favorite boss from a HORROR standpoint. The Del Lago is straight out of Moby-Dick, and there’s plenty of interaction in the preferable on-foot Gigante battles. And I love Verdugo so much I bought an action figure of him. He's watching me from a shelf above my laptop as I type this.

But I also love the bosses of RE5, and I feel the game did more to keep them fresh. Off the top of my head: entreating
Jill
and using teamwork to save her; playing hide-and-seek with
Wesker
, who unlike Krauser doesn't disappear and respawn but actually moves around in real-time; frying Uroboros Aheri with a well-timed Death Star laser; luring the first Uroboros into the furnace, which can be done multiple times on higher difficulties (a nail-biting, memorable first battle); rushing to free your friend from Popokarimu's webbing, then luring the boss across proximity mines. All these battles work well in single-player and brilliantly in co-op. Then you have Irving, a Salazar 2.0 that’s capable of moving all around the arena, submerging underwater and beaching himself on the boat, insta-killing you in his jaws (like Salazar), stabbing and grabbing with tentacles (like Salazar), but doing so with twice the number and types of tentacles, a better backdrop (a storm at sea!), and the inclusion of optional turrets that add a lot of pizzazz, whether it’s rockets lighting up the sea or chain-guns cutting tentacles with a satisfying pop. You have an epic final boss, spanning three scenarios (hide-and-seek, QTE cutscene, co-op Tyrant analogue), and the story driving the final battle has FAR more weight than Saddler. Even if you don’t know squat about
Wesker
, he was about to destroy the world while Saddler was... What? Saddler was small-time. Really, the only weak link in RE5’s boss lineup is Ndesu, who in practice works well as a rail-shooter boss but falls short of everyone’s expectations from a Gigante.

So yeah. We can debate creatures all day long, but we won’t get anywhere because a lot of it’s preference. It’s worth noting, however, that RE5 is a shorter, more streamlined (and dare I say less repetitious) experience, yet it still manages to pack as much variety as RE4. I think Capcom deserves some recognition for that, even if you’re a diehard Mikami fan.

Of course, what really works in RE5’s favor is co-op, which means no matter how many times you play the game it’ll be different each time. The only thing more fun than RE4-style gameplay is RE4-style co-op, and on this front I’m just starting to scratch the surface, having played split-screen and dabbling online a bit. I think the fact I had as much fun with RE5 solo as I remember with RE4 bodes well for the game, which can only get better in multiplayer. And then you have Mercenaries, twice as big as before, and the upcoming Slayers and Survivors DLC for two to four players… And who knows what else is in the pipeline…

I’m glad to see the game selling like hotcakes and the leaderboards bustling with activity. It means we might yet see an RE6 this generation, preferably a co-op title with action similar to RE5. Until then, I’m more than happy with the two RE action titles we have now. Good times. :D

Kard8p3

Kard8p3 said:
I've got a couple different theories. One simply being that wesker stole it. The other is that irving got it for tricell through the black market.

Ok I've got more to add. I just re-read the majini file and apparently
you're looking for irving because he's under suspicion of buying las plagas off the black market and bringing it to africa. Here is the part from the article that talks about it: The presence of Las Plagas in this mission has been confirmed. It is currently unknown how the parasites, discovered in Europe, came to be present in Africa. A known bioweapon smuggler, Ricardo Irving, is wanted for questioning regarding this matter.

This information was obtained by the BSAA’s Alpha Team at great personal risk to themselves. Their report indicated that a Las Plagas sample was extracted from Europe and has undergone both biological and genetic modification, creating a more effective and potentially dangerous biological weapon.

Top Bottom