• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

neoism

TheCardPlayer said:
2zew6z8.jpg

Oh yes....

Someone needs to patch the game to remove Chris completely. Moar Sheva! NAO!
Man she is one gorgeous chocolate specimen!
Not a racist comment at all,
I think she's the prettiest "black" girl in a game sense Alyx from HL2

On a side note, PRO MODE is sooo easy with Infinite ammo, I beat 6-3 in 6 minutes and only died about 4 times! Even 2-3 wasn't that hard died 7 times! I LOVE THIS GAME, almost 1000/1000

USD said:
I do love how they give a tribute to Super Salvador by having the chainsaw Majini go berserk after dropping him (though it doesn't take much more to finish him off after that). It was also a nice surprise, the first thing I thought was "that wasn't in the demo!" :lol

You also see a double chainsaw at the beginning of the Shanty Town segment. Pity no one uses it :(

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Neiteio said:
Ooo, Super Salvador. The scourge of Waterworld. Almost forgot him. Yeah, he was batshit insane, with his smoking double-bladed chainsaw. I suppose he could give Axeman a run for his money. Still, Axeman eats the little Salvador shits as part of a complete nutritious breakfast, and his big brother affords plenty of scares. Cowering in the corner of Prison, ammo-less, and watching the halls light up Balrog-style as he smashes the door with a flaming axe and comes strolling through... Now that's a-spicy meatball!

:lol @ the balrog comment.

I remember going to one of the lower areas with the chicken, and trying to kill it with the handgun. I thought my friend had taken care of Axe Man's older brother, so I wasn't paying attention to him or his screen. As soon as the I shot the bird, he burst threw the wall and hit me. My friend was to far away.

I got killed for killing his pet. :(

edit:

kamorra said:
Ok, fair enough. I just thought that she doesn't look black.
176787-alyxvance_large.jpg

Maybe she is adopted ;)

Not to jump in this convo, but...black people do and can look like her. I'm around her skin complexion and my eyes tend to stay low like someone out of an anime...

badrockjones said:
Words describing the fact that there's an explosion factory in the game which is the most ridiculous thing ever, and more words explaining that I still love this game but that's
fucking
silly.

MiamiWesker said:
It is awesome level design, it has actual interesting thought out situations. A location with enemies and nothing else is just that, an arena to fight enemies, anyone can make that. Its when the game starts to throw different situation after different situation when a game shines. Chapter 5 had such awesome setpieces, like the conveyor belt.

Seriously? You're going to defend AN EXPLOSION FACTORY?

I'm not saying the game suffers, but you could have the exact same level design without it being inside...wait for it... AN EXPLOSION FACTORY! You remember that part with
the bodies on the belt being fed into the furnace?
That makes sense. Disposal of evidence or refuse. But...a never-ending supply of explosive barrels being fed endlessly into a furnace? That is a factory producing explosions. It is an explosion factory, and it makes no sense. Admit it. It doesn't have to make sense for you to love the game.

badrockjones said:
Seriously? You're going to defend AN EXPLOSION FACTORY?

I'm not saying the game suffers, but you could have the exact same level design without it being inside...wait for it... AN EXPLOSION FACTORY! You remember that part with
the bodies on the belt being fed into the furnace?
That makes sense. Disposal of evidence or refuse. But...a never-ending supply of explosive barrels being fed endlessly into a furnace? That is a factory producing explosions. It is an explosion factory, and it makes no sense. Admit it. It doesn't have to make sense for you to love the game.

I am playing a video game with giant mutant monsters and a superhuman guy who wears sunglasses at night. The absolute last thing on my mind is if something makes sense or not. The only thing that matters is does it make for good gameplay, and the answer is YES.

Kard8p3

Christopher said:
I remember Sherry was suppose to be in the game...I wonder how much the game was changed from start to finish.

I don't remember them ever actually saying sherry would be in. They just said something about there being an important character from previous games returning.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If you stand still and wait a little while, Sheva looks at Chris and smiles. AAAAWwwwwww!

She's my favorite RE character now.

34oziow.jpg

Kard8p3 said:
I don't remember them ever actually saying sherry would be in. They just said something about there being an important character from previous games returning.

Exactly, it was never Sherry, it was always Jill we just assumed it was Sherry cause the woman had blond hair.

Erebus

Kard8p3 said:

Right and then many assumed that this character would be Sherry. But they never said anything about her.

Oldschoolgamer

I can't imagine how easy this game would have been, if they kept the GodHand dodge mechanic in. Sheva and Chris would have been gdlk.

Christopher

I remember when the "tube girl" was first revealed I said it looked like Jill from REmake and I got my head chewed off in that thrad :lol

I'm almost 100% sure in one of the interviews with the directors/producers said that Sherry as well as Wesker were going to be in the game.

Christopher said:
I remember when the "tube girl" was first revealed I said it looked like Jill from REmake and I got my head chewed off in that thrad :lol

I'm almost 100% sure in one of the interviews with the directors/producers said that Sherry as well as Wesker were going to be in the game.

I was one of those people chewing anyone that thought it was Jill. I was like, "whats wrong with you people, she has blond hair, Jill doesn't have blond hair! End of discussion! Why the hell would Jill be in a tube anyway!"

Oops. :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
RE4 hand cannon > RE5 hand cannon by a mile. Why did they de-power it so much? I also hate how they gimped the laser on your weapons. I use to be able to snipe with a handgun in RE4. Try that in this game and it's impossible because the laser only goes a certain distance.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Applesauce said:
:lol

All you have to do is stun him once with the magnum, then run up behind him and initiate the final QTE
I never had to do that and I've beat him 4 times already. Never wasted much ammo either. The last Boss is fairly easy as far as RE last bosses are concerned.

USD

Shaheed79 said:
RE4 hand cannon > RE5 hand cannon by a mile. Why did they de-power it so much? I also hate how they gimped the laser on your weapons. I use to be able to snipe with a handgun in RE4. Try that in this game and it's impossible because the laser only goes a certain distance.
While I find the laser slightly harder to see in RE5, I've found shooting distant enemies much easier. The laser in RE4 has much less range, completely disappearing after 20 feet or so if you're not aiming directly at an enemy.

Neiteio

Shaheed79 said:
Heh, it's actually RE4 that feels "de-powered" in just about every respect when you go back and play it. Having to finish enemies by wasting more ammo or swiping a wimpy knife is pathetic compared to RE5's stomps, impales and double knee presses. And only two melee moves per character? Pffft, I say. Can't go back after RE5's eight per character.

As for the laser... RE5 is the non-pussy RE4. Even the bow no longer has a sight. Gotta have skillz, baby. :D

Now then, can't wait to play the shit out of this tonight. I'm helping a random I met last night unlock Mercs characters. Then I'll turn around and use the exchange points to get infinite ammo for some guns my splitscreen partner wants to use on a future Pro run. Then I got Chapter 6 to wrap up in Veteran so I can unlock said Pro mode (plus what I hear is a spanking cool Noise filter).

Then, like every night following a play session of RE5, I'll go to bed overwhelmed by the awesome variety of monsters and settings and setpieces and cutscenes and everything. Goddamn.

And Versus comes out in Japan in a couple weeks? When will this game let up? SFIV's getting dusty and it doesn't deserve such neglect!

Neiteio

ChoklitReign said:
33yiayp.jpg

Holy shit :lol to think I still have a problem with his biceps.
It's like the trunk of a redwood! :lol

Also, +1,000 for sporting a Biden avatar. I have a man-crush on that man.

Oldschoolgamer

In terms of melee moves, I like RE4's a bit more. Outside of the properties of Double Knee Press ( Bison all day!), Wesker's Cobra Strike, Jill's neck break, and the coolness of Sheva's neck slice, the RE4 moves seemed a bit more "cinematic" and looked stupid badass. Hunk's neck break sounds a bit more vicious and looks way more hardcore than Chris', Axe kick was a guaranteed decap and knocked down people in the area, the suplex looks better than Chris' TAPs, and Krauser's arm is broken.

I dunno about skill. I'm still on the fence about which is harder to rank high in.

Sheva's bow does take way more skill to use than Krauser's. Getting long range kills with that thing gives me a good feeling. lol.

I'm pretty sure the handcannon was a one shot kill weapon, even on bosses. Isn't basically the same here, outside of the bosses? I don't use it so I wouldn't know.

edit: HOLY SHIT @ Chris' arm then. O_O How could you see anything in front of him, if he put on the Gatling gun?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Neiteio said:
Ooo, Super Salvador. The scourge of Waterworld. Almost forgot him. Yeah, he was batshit insane, with his smoking double-bladed chainsaw. I suppose he could give Axeman a run for his money. Still, Axeman eats the little Salvador shits as part of a complete nutritious breakfast, and his big brother affords plenty of scares. Cowering in the corner of Prison, ammo-less, and watching the halls light up Balrog-style as he smashes the door with a flaming axe and comes strolling through... Now that's a-spicy meatball!
Why are you comparing Axeman to salvador anyway? One is a mid-boss character the other is a regular enemy that you fight over a dozen times throughout the game. Axeman was great but you see him in the very beginning and its downhill from there. No other enemy character or mid-boss throughout the rest of the game comes close to his difficulty and strength. Very disappointing. If I would compare Axeman to anyone in RE4 it would be el gigante and el gigante would tear axeman in two especially the two brother gigante's that ambush you in the iron works.

Sectus

Shaheed79 said:
Why are you comparing Axeman to salvador anyway? One is a mid-boss character the other is a regular enemy that you fight over a dozen times throughout the game. Axeman was great but you see him in the very beginning and its downhill from there. No other enemy character or mid-boss throughout the rest of the game comes close to his difficulty and strength. Very disappointing.
4 or 5 times is not a dozen time. Reapers (which I'd argue are much more dangerous than the axeman), chainsaw guys, executioner and a few other enemies are used the same way as mini-bosses.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Neiteio said:
Heh, it's actually RE4 that feels "de-powered" in just about every respect when you go back and play it. Having to finish enemies by wasting more ammo or swiping a wimpy knife is pathetic compared to RE5's stomps, impales and double knee presses. And only two melee moves per character? Pffft, I say. Can't go back after RE5's eight per character.
I would take Leon's suplex and round house over all of those moves. More does not mean better or more affective lol.
As for the laser... RE5 is the non-pussy RE4. Even the bow no longer has a sight. Gotta have skillz, baby. :D
Non-pussy? Lol first off several weapons in RE4 have no laser and second I have more skillz than you. My highest combo is 122. Don't question my Metal Gear Evil skills I'm old skool lol. Limiting the distance of the laser was poor game design. I liked being able to beat RE4 on pro with nothing but a handgun. Try that in this game and it's impossible not because it's more "badass" but because the damn laser cuts out after a few meters.

In fact RE5 as a whole has been MUCH easier than RE4. The only hard part of RE5 was managing the ridiculously poor AI of Sheva until you learn how to neutralize her retarded combat decisions.
[/QUOTE]

Neiteio

Shaheed79 said:
Why are you comparing Axeman to salvador anyway? One is a mid-boss character the other is a regular enemy that you fight over a dozen times throughout the game. Axeman was great but you see him in the very beginning and its downhill from there. No other enemy character or mid-boss throughout the rest of the game comes close to his difficulty and strength. Very disappointing. If I would compare Axeman to anyone in RE4 it would be el gigante and el gigante would tear axeman in two especially the two brother gigante's that ambush you in the iron works.
Riddle me this: if Axeman is a full-fledged boss like El Gigante, then why the hell does he appear as a regular enemy on Prison? You fight at least three of 'em on any good run in Prison.

In other words, you're wrong-o. ALSO: I'd hazard to say RE5's Chainsaw Majini is a bit scarier than any of the chainsaw folk in RE4, because he can come back from the dead in beserker mode. Scared the shit outta me the first time that happened!

And c'mon, don't even try to suggest RE4 had the bigger, badder monsters. Did you see the size of some of the baddies in RE5? Irving, U-8, Uroboros Aheri? Goddamn. :lol

I still love RE4.

comrade

EliteEffect is deleting the comments calling him out. We should just flag all those merc videos as copyright even if they're not.

Neiteio

Shaheed79 said:
I would take Leon's suplex and round house over all of those moves. More does not mean better or more affective lol.
Opinions. I maintain Chris is four times the badass with four times the moves. Stomping someone's skull is absolutely brutal. I'll take the hook, straight, uppercut, neck snap, kick, stomp, backhand and haymaker, thank you.

Non-pussy? Lol first off several weapons in RE4 have no laser and second I have more skillz than you. My highest combo is 122. Don't question my Metal Gear Evil skills I'm old skool lol. Limiting the distance of the laser was poor game design. I liked being able to beat RE4 on pro with nothing but a handgun. Try that in this game and it's impossible not because it's more "badass" but because the damn laser cuts out after a few meters.
Eh? You can beat RE5 with a handgun if you're good enough. It was my partner's weapon of choice and if left to his own devices he could clear the whole game with the handgun alone. You just need to know how to use it.

In fact RE5 as a whole has been MUCH easier than RE4. The only hard part of RE5 was managing the ridiculously poor AI of Sheva until you learn how to neutralize her retarded combat decisions.
Never had a problem with Sheva. You just need to know how to use her. She's less problematic than babysitting the helpless Ashley when you know how to use her. And if RE5 was easier it's probably because you have more combat strategies at your disposal, and you took advantage of them. Nothing wrong with that.

You want a challenge? Try Pro without infinite weapons. RE4's challenge can't compare with that.

EDIT: I recall getting 140+ combos on RE4 Mercs. Haven't come close to that on RE5 but you say RE5 is easier so I guess I'm really good, eh?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Sectus said:
4 or 5 times is not a dozen time. Reapers (which I'd argue are much more dangerous than the axeman), chainsaw guys, executioner and a few other enemies are used the same way as mini-bosses.
Four or five? Lol did you complete RE4? Let's see once in the village, one coming out of the chief's house, 2 on the other side of the second El Gigante fight. That's five in the village. Then you have two in the mines and two in the ruins underneath the castle before the Indiana Jones style mine cart ride (damn that was awesome). So that's at least 9 that I remember off hand.

The Reapers are arguably the hardest single enemy in the game until you figure out to just use weapons with piercing perks.

comrade

Neiteio said:
Opinions. I maintain Chris is eight times the badass with eight times the moves. Stomping someone's skull is absolutely brutal.

Eh? You can beat RE5 with a handgun if you're good enough. It was my partner's weapon of choice and if left to his own devices he could clear the whole game with the handgun alone. You just need to know how to use it.

Never had a problem with Sheva. You just need to know how to use her. She's less problematic than babysitting the helpless Ashley when you know how to use her. And if RE5 was easier it's probably because you have more combat strategies at your disposal, and you took advantage of them. Nothing wrong with that.

You want a challenge? Try Pro without infinite weapons. RE4's challenge can't compare with that.

EDIT: I recall getting 140+ combos on RE4 Mercs. Haven't come close to that on RE5 but you say RE5 is easier so I guess I'm really good, eh?
RE4 on Pro is pretty fucking tough and as far as knowing how to use the pistol? There's a difference between knowing how to put the laser on a target and that said laser disappearing after a few meters. That's game design, nothing to do with skill.

Sectus

Kard8p3 said:
Elite Effect even had the nerve to watermark the one he stole. He said it was so people wouldn't be able to steal his videos. Are the other merc videos on his account yours?
Some of his other videos (like the mines 123k run and the splitscreen videos) are mine. He also got a bunch of other videos which I suspect are stolen as well. It makes it even more obvious when you see his other mercs videos are of different quality and is even using a different control scheme.

Neiteio

comrade said:
RE4 on Pro is pretty fucking tough and as far as knowing how to use the pistol? There's a difference between knowing how to put the laser on a target and that said laser disappearing after a few meters. That's game design, nothing to do with skill.
I meant to suggest hitting a distant target without laser assistance takes more skill. Playing with a random who sniped the goons on the revolving elevator with a pistol was pretty impressive.

Pojo

Banned
Dr. Salvador is so much scarier than the Executioner. I feel like I can run right in front of him, blast his knee caps, and punch him in the face. There's no stopping Dr. Salvador, at least the one in Mercenaries.

Even the name. Dr. Salvador. It's as if the smartest guy in village lost his mind and is content on gutting you with his ungodly chainsaw.

Can the Executioner cut --nay, lop-- your head off? No. Lame.

Kard8p3

Sectus said:
Some of his other videos (like the mines 123k run and the splitscreen videos) are mine. He also got a bunch of other videos which I suspect are stolen as well. It makes it even more obvious when you see his other mercs videos are of different quality and is even using a different control scheme.

I know it wasn't my place but I sent him a message about it and he said he stole nothing. Odd since you uploaded yours the other day and he uploaded his today.

Neiteio

Pojo said:
Dr. Salvador is so much scarier than the Executioner. I feel like I can run right in front of him, blast his knee caps, and punch him in the face. There's no stopping Dr. Salvador, at least the one in Mercenaries.

Even the name. Dr. Salvador. It's as if the smartest guy in village lost his mind and is content on gutting you with his ungodly chainsaw.

Can the Executioner cut --nay, lop-- your head off? No. Lame.
The axeman doesn't lop your head off because he strangles you, throws you down and pulverizes your body. This is after he makes his own entrance by demolishing a wall and killing ten bystander Majini with a swing of his axe. He likes to have fun.

Oh, and you just know all the hook/needle/spike shit he has piercing his body is used to do horrible things. You can just picture that mofo pulling one of the stakes out of his back and driving it through someone's skull. Goddamn.

Heh, this RE pissing contest is so funny. Time to go play some RE5! A game you can actually play on an HDTV ohnoIdidn't.

Volcynika

Kard8p3 said:
I know it wasn't my place but I sent him a message about it and he said he stole nothing. Odd since you uploaded yours the other day and he uploaded his today.

I downrated him since that's all I feel I could do, since he'd just do that or delete any comments that point out his obvious thieving.

Oldschoolgamer

Even with infinite ammo RE5 pro is a bit tough. I don't think I had that difficult of a time with RE4 Pro mode, except Krauser and maybe the room with the two garradors. I even breased through the water room with the fifty zillion ganado, with just a handgun and like two sniper rounds.

As for RE5 pro without infinite ammo. On new game +, it's kinda retarded how easy it is. Now, if you have scratch weapons I'm sure it will be a lot tougher. Sorta like running through DMC3 DMD mode with a scratch Dante and Vergil--the challenge of my life--.

Kard8p3

Volcynika said:
I downrated him since that's all I feel I could do, since he'd just do that or delete any comments that point out his obvious thieving.

He just sent me a message saying the sectus had stolen quite a few of his videos in the past and that he still continues to ever though he asked him not to. He said that he uploaded his videos to GTTV (unless I'm wrong I assume he means gametrailers) before youtube and that must be how sectus uploaded his on youtube first. The message reeked of bullcrap.

Edit: When I asked him for the link to his videos on GT conveniently enough he said he deleted it all yesterday because people kept stealing his stuff. He's trying to cover himself but it's not really working for him.

Volcynika

Kard8p3 said:
He just sent me a message saying the sectus had stolen quite a few of his videos in the past and that he still continues to ever though he asked him not to. He said that he uploaded his videos to GTTV (unless I'm wrong I assume he means gametrailers) before youtube and that must be how sectus uploaded his on youtube first. The message reeked of bullcrap.

Damage control, indeed. Hm. If he watermarked his videos first in the silly situation where he DIDN'T steal videos (which is still incredibly dumb to me for the most part, not trying to argue though), I'm sure Sectus took all that work to remove that watermark and upload a run on a game's special mode and make the video look better in quality. Logic!

Sectus

Kard8p3 said:
I sent him a message too, and he claimed I was stealing his videos which is just silly. Someone else commented on my profile saying the same thing, that they messaged EliteEffect and he's saying I stole the videos.

It's so stupidly obvious who has the original videos though. My videos are uploaded hours or days before his, in higher quality and unedited. If anyone's still in doubt, they could check the leaderboards to check the scores from the videos.

USD

Honestly I was disappointed with Pro. Not to say that it wasn't hard, or that there weren't challenging or frustrating parts, a lot of it made even tougher by my playing partners (PROTIP: don't play with randoms, especially in the last few chapters), but for the most part, it's basically playing Veteran mode with a chain attached to yourself and your partner. I would have preferred a difficulty that keep Veteran's damage levels but made the enemies far more relentless.

I am interested in doing a Pro run starting with an empty inventory. My first run was with infinite ammo off, but fully upgraded weapons still made taking down enemies easy.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Neiteio said:
Riddle me this: if Axeman is a full-fledged boss like El Gigante, then why the hell does he appear as a regular enemy on Prison? You fight at least three of 'em on any good run in Prison.
Axeman is a mini-boss just like El-Gigantes. The very first one you fight is the only one that can be considered a main boss but you fight 4 El-Gigante's in total (I still don't like how they took the one Gigante battle RE5 had and made it a tedious rail shooter). The MAIN Bosses in RE4 were:

DEL LAGO (fun boat boss in the vein of Moby Dick)
U3(my LEAST favorite boss in RE4)
VERDUGO (This Alien/Predator hybrid wipes the floor with RE5 bosses in awesomeness except for the final Boss Wesker)
BITOREZ MENDES (Village Chief Boss battle in a burning Barn)
RAMON SALAZAR (Morphs with his right hand body guard to create the final Castle level Boss)
JACK KRAUSER (One of the most kick ass bosses and stage long battles in all of 3d gaming)
OSMUND SADDLER (Final Boss. Not bad but after the insane Krauser battle a tad underwhelming)

Those are the real main bosses in RE4. Enemies I liked in RE4 are besides the dozen or so variations of Ganados, Monks and Mercs are:
Doctor Salvador
Super Doctor Salvador
Colmillo
Los Armours
Garrador
Type 3 Plagas
Novistador
Regenerator
Iron Maiden
Chain Gunner

Original Enemies I liked in RE5.
Axe Majini
Reaper
Native Majini
Giant Native Majini
Fat Majini
Licker Beta

Original Enemies I disliked in RE5
Kipepeo
Adjule
Bui Kichwa
Cephalo
Duvalia

Not to mention the new chainsaw majini is nowhere near as aggressive as Salvador. He waits a good 2 seconds before even swinging his chainsaw at you while Salvador starts to swing it upon approach usually catching you as you run by. That and Super Salvador >> Awakened chainsaw Magini.

In other words, you're wrong-o. ALSO: I'd hazard to say RE5's Chainsaw Majini is a bit scarier than any of the chainsaw folk in RE4, because he can come back from the dead in beserker mode. Scared the shit outta me the first time that happened!
I don't know you just seem more easily impressed than me in general. If I hadn't seen it done better in RE4 maybe it would have amazed me but he was terribly weak.

And c'mon, don't even try to suggest RE4 had the bigger, badder monsters. Did you see the size of some of the baddies in RE5? Irving, U-8, Uroboros Aheri? Goddamn. :lol
Bigger? No. Better and badder? Most definitely. Half the main bosses in the game were repeats of Popokarimu, Uroboros which were horrible bosses. Uroboros Aheri was good as was Irving and the next to last Wesker battle. Those are honestly the only Bosses I still enjoy fighting. Again more and bigger does not always mean better or more fun lol.
I still really like RE5.
[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom