• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Anyone else disappointed in the way
Jill was handled? I was really hoping that she legitimately was on Wesker's side and that she had some secret inside her due to the residue of the T-virus. Having her turn against Chris, of her on volition, would have made a much more interesting progression for her character as well as to the overall narrative.

Kard8p3

TheChillyAcademic said:
Jill was handled? I was really hoping that she legitimately was on Wesker's side and that she had some secret inside her due to the residue of the T-virus. Having her turn against Chris, of her on volition, would have made a much more interesting progression for her character as well as to the overall narrative.

thats not the kind of character jill is though. She wouldn't turn on chris of her own free will. I do think it would have been more shocking if it was of her own volition but that wouldn't necessarily make it better. I was fine with how she was handled in this game and she was very important to the story. Without the knowledge of her being around chris probably would've gave up on the mission after 2-3. Also without her they never would have beat wesker because they wouldn't have known how to weaken him. Her dna was also used to weaken the effect of uroboros so there could be a higher success rate (though I get the feeling it didn't help too much.) Point is she is very important to the story and I think she was handled very well.

dk_

Last chapter spoiler:

Man, the fact that Chris can punch giant rocks into lava still bugs me. Who is responsible for this shit? Can someone repost the gif please?

-Winnie-

dk_ said:
Last chapter spoiler:

Man, the fact that Chris can punch giant rocks into lava still bugs me. Who is responsible for this shit? Can someone repost the gif please?

And the fact that Irving turns into an enormous sea monster doesn't? Best not to take RE too seriously. :p

eso76

i don't know what happened but in my latest run (third) Sheva's AI has been surprising me. It probably has to do with the fact i equipped her with unlimited ammo T hawk, sniper rifle and bow and setting her to attack she'll actually use all weapons in her inventory and take enemies out with scary accuracy (spinning elevator!) and actually performs smart moves from time to time.
Yesterday, while waiting for the elevator, she suddenly ran off all the way back through the 2 long ass corridors
the ones with lickers everywhere
to go grab something i left in a crate at the entrance. wth ? she's doing stuff i'd never seen her do before.

Of course, when you send her first, like on the moving platform in 5.2 (or is it 5.3 ?) you still have to prey for her safety; you would expect her to grab that green herb lying at her feet and use it when she's LOW on health, but she still isn't able to think of two things at a time.

Also, why does she keep feeding me ammo for my unlimited ammo'ed weapons : \
"take this !" "...much appreciated...*throws ammo away* "

eso76

dk_ said:
Last chapter spoiler:

they had to justify his triceps at some point in the game.

dk_

Did anyone here has a corrupt save? Does it happen randomly? I don't feel to invest more hours until this is fixed...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I'm not quoting that wall of text lol. I'll just say that imo the non Ganado enemies were much better than the non Majini enemies in RE5 especially the Garradors and they were more varied. RE5 has 3 good Boss battles and reused two horrible bosses probably because they ran out of development time. RE5 has no equivalent of the El Gigantes and there is nothing in RE5 that remotely compares to the Krauser boss sequence. The QTE with Krauser was also better than the one with Wesker.

I will give you that the Majini were better designed than the Ganados in RE4 having more moves but given that this is a sequel we all would have been pretty disappointing if they were exactly the same. They still flinch when you run towards them just like the ones in RE4 though. I do like the ground finishers. At first I thought they were cheap but I've become very accustomed to it. In fact the lack of ground finishers is part of the reason why RE4 is the more challenging experience.

Then there is set pieces. RE4 had way more and way better. The only ones in RE5 that I liked were the Eye Lasers in stage 4-2 and the conveyor belts in 5 but there was nothing as awesome as the Indiana Jones style mine cart ride from hell or the lava and rotating turret rooms in the castle or the Giant Salazar statue that chases you. RE4 was always throwing something new at you and was always fresh.

I really shouldn't even try to make an argument for how great RE4 is because it's aggregate score as the highest scored game of last generation and number of fan conversions who use to hate RE speaks for itself. RE5 wasn't as well received because, although still a very fun game, it has some very annoying gameplay flaws particularly in single player and the overall game design isn't quite as polished as RE4. Having said that I really did grow to like some of the new additions they made like the finishers, stage select, infinite on any weapon you want and a main inventory. Unified saves I'm still not so hot on nor the terribly inconsistent partner AI.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
TheChillyAcademic said:
It was a pretty weak twist to begin with. She use to be my favorite RE non-villian before RE4 came out. Hunk and Leon now rule supreme with Josh moving up the ladder. Her overall portrayal in this game was lackluster even fighting her was insanely easy.

What I'm disappointed about is the fact that RE5 is shorter than RE4 and it has no equivalent of Ada's side mission. I was crossing my fingers for a Hunk side mission but no dice.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
dk_ said:
Last chapter spoiler:

I actually thought that was pretty cool. Only thing he did that was awesome on the level of Leon throwing a knife and pinning Salazars hand to a wall. Both were completely unexpected.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Son of Godzilla said:
There's nothing that compares with Krauser? What? The first Wesker fight is a complete imitation of it.
Yes but not as good. Krauser had an entire stage to himself and the fact that the most efficient way to beat him was to use your knife? Genius.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Son of Godzilla said:
There's nothing that compares with Krauser? What? The first Wesker fight is a complete imitation of it.
As much as I love RE5, it doesn't have a moment that even touches running from Krauser through the ruins area in RE4.

That's one thing I'll critisce about RE5, especially after now having played a game like Madworld: it didn't offer enough originality or creativity. And as such, some of the set pieces didn't hit as hard; they weren't as memorable. What it did offer was a tried and true method that worked fantastically (it was fun as hell), but that tried and true method (in everything from the gameplay to a lot of the game's biggest set pieces) is what stopped it from being as memorable as RE4 was, and still is.

RE5 is great, but at its core it is a retread of RE4 without the extreme level of creativity.

-Winnie-

Shaheed79 said:
I actually thought that was pretty cool. Only thing he did that was awesome on the level of Leon throwing a knife and pinning Salazars hand to a wall. Both were completely unexpected.

I liked it too, but only because I misinterpreted what I was supposed to do. I thought you had to madly rush over to the other side of the volcano to help out Sheva when she fell over, and the smashing over a huge boulder in desperation to save her seems so much cooler than just shooting Wesker until Sheva helps herself up... which was actually the case.
:/

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
-Winnie- said:
I liked it too, but only because I misinterpreted what I was supposed to do. I thought you had to madly rush over to the other side of the volcano to help out Sheva when she fell over, and the smashing over a huge boulder in desperation to save her seems so much cooler than just shooting Wesker until Sheva helps herself up... which was actually the case.
:/
I always shoot Wesker until Jill saves herself then I run and punch the boulder. I laugh every time I watch it because it just seems so completely awesome and ridiculous at the same time.

It actually makes sense that Chris juiced up after his confrontations with Wesker. Normal Chris didn't stand a chance. That reminds me why in the hell did Wesker say the last time he saw Chris was at the Spencer mansion? Code Veronica X doesn't exist now?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
dk_ said:
There are no new side missions in RE5? That's sad! :-/
No not this time. Maybe we will see one in the PC version or directors cut. I hope that 8 years for sequel comment from Capcom was a terrible joke. I need my RE fix every 3 years max. I hope this game sells gangbusters.

What did RE4 sell total across all platforms? Anyone know?

EDIT: Just found on Wiki it's over 6 Million and currently the highest selling RE game ever made. No surprise there but what is a surprise is that the Wii version is now at 1.8 Million and continues to climb. I wonder what Capcoms expectations are for RE5? It should do at least 4 Million lifetime.

Miburou

According to Capcom's last update (end of 2008), RE4 had sold a total of 5.2M copies (2.1M + 1.6M + 1.5M). Not sure where that Wikipedia article got its data from.

And RE5 already did 4M (launch shipment), so it can only go up depending on how it does at retail. All the figures quoted are shipped.

And Shaheed, we get it. RE4 is better than RE5 in every way, and we're lucky that you're generous enough to give RE5 some underhanded compliments from time to time. Now can we return to talking about RE5, this being an RE5 thread and all?

Shaheed79 said:
It actually makes sense that Chris juiced up after his confrontations with Wesker. Normal Chris didn't stand a chance. That reminds me why in the hell did Wesker say the last time he saw Chris was at the Spencer mansion? Code Veronica X doesn't exist now?
Let's better pretend that RE5 doesn't exist and Chris is still chasing Wesker with Claire. Makes more sense.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Miburou said:
According to Capcom's last update (end of 2008), RE4 had sold a total of 5.2M copies (2.1M + 1.6M + 1.5M). Not sure where that Wikipedia article got its data from.

And RE5 already did 4M (launch shipment), so it can only go up depending on how it does at retail. All the figures quoted are shipped.

And Shaheed, we get it. RE4 is better than RE5 in every way, and we're lucky that you're generous enough to give RE5 some underhanded compliments from time to time. Now can we return to talking about RE5, this being an RE5 thread and all?
I was worried I might be coming off like a complainer. I really do like the game and have beaten it 7 times already. Comparisons to RE4 were inevitable and I guess when people started to talk about all the things RE5 did better than RE4 I passionately disagreed with a lot of it to the point I came across as having a chip on my shoulder towards the game. I honestly don't know if I do or not. Wanting the game to live up to a certain pedigree is my own fault so I shouldn't be this critical of the final product.

The compliments I give RE5 are in no way under handed but the genuine things I really like about the game. The Co-op I maintain is fantastic and a great addition to the series especially in mercenaries mode. I don't want to come off like an asshole brandishing a RE4 Defense Force avatar so I'll try to refrain from being so vocal about my criticisms of the game from now on. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

EDIT: 4 Million shipped already for RE5? I can see this game doing more than RE4 pretty easily then especially if the real numbers are only 5.2 Million. That's not including the PC version though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That reminds me why in the hell did Wesker say the last time he saw Chris was at the Spencer mansion? Code Veronica X doesn't exist now?

Chris also specifically states "i later saw him on rockfort island next".

Spencer estate =/= the RE1 mansion. That was the Arkley manor. Spencer Estate = the mountain castle like thing spencer is staying at
when wesker guts him
Let's better pretend that RE5 doesn't exist and Chris is still chasing Wesker with Claire. Makes more sense.

or let's not. RE5 provides much needed closure to that one part of the series.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
He actually said the Spencer Estate, which is where Jill and Chris tracked him down to post Code Veronica. Did you actually pay attention to the cutscenes in the game?
I guess that was the Spencer estate lol. I always thought he was talking about the Spencer mansion in RE. That clears that up for me.

It's unfair to criticize the developers for not matching RE4's monumentally high bar, and you know it.
Actually no I don't know it. How exactly is it unfair? Is it because it's a sequel or because the RE4 team didn't make it? I took that into consideration with my expectations. I never expected it be as monumental as RE4 but I did want a little more than what was offered in single player.

shpankey

not an idiot
Shaheed79 said:
I liked being able to beat RE4 on pro with nothing but a handgun. Try that in this game and it's impossible not because it's more "badass" but because the damn laser cuts out after a few meters.

In fact RE5 as a whole has been MUCH easier than RE4. The only hard part of RE5 was managing the ridiculously poor AI of Sheva until you learn how to neutralize her retarded combat decisions.
Dude, you like contradict yourself from one sentence to the next. ;) Unless I miss your meaning (probably do, it's early lol). You really seem to know your stuff about this franchise so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. ;)

nib95

Banned
Can someone give me a rough breakdown of how to carry out the rotten egg money exploit by yourself? As in, using one console and no online co-op with a friend. I already have 45 rotten eggs, but used up all my others (around 500+ of them) maxing out all my weapons. I just have two left to max out, which is why I need to do the exploit again.

Thanks.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
nib95 said:
Can someone give me a rough breakdown of how to carry out the rotten egg money exploit by yourself? As in, using one console and no online co-op with a friend. I already have 45 rotten eggs, but used up all my others (around 500+ of them) maxing out all my weapons. I just have two left to max out, which is why I need to do the exploit again.

Thanks.

you will need a second controller for this. start a game and press start on controller 2. give sheva the 45 eggs in the inventory screen. start the game for real (pick 2-1 so you don't have to skip a cutscene) and let sheva give you the 45 eggs.

now for the important part: with the first controller select quit, but let it save your inventory status. Select 'no' for the second controller. Now when you start up a new game, Chris will have 45 eggs, but when you let Sheva join in again she will still have her 45.

repeat until you swim in money

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nib95 said:

Thanks.
I've never done it, but I don't think its possible on the PS3 unless you're doing it online.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
shpankey said:
Dude, you like contradict yourself from one sentence to the next. ;) Unless I miss your meaning (probably do, it's early lol).

p.s. you most certainly can beat RE5 with just a pistol. It's just hard and takes skill.
I can see how you thought that was a contradiction. Even with a better laser sight RE4 was still more challenging to beat than RE5.

I tried playing with just the starting handgun and sniping from a distance seems much harder than in RE4. I think I figured out why. The laser dot that shows up on your target was not proportionally smaller the further it was in RE4. The dot got smaller but not proportionally so you could see the dot at great distances. In this game the further the the target the smaller the dot and it does seem to be proportional to distance which makes seeing the dot at great distances damn near impossible. If that makes any sense to anyone. For the longest time I thought the laser stopped after a certain range. It doesn't stop it's just too damn tiny to see a lot of times.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Shaheed79 said:
I can see how you thought that was a contradiction. Even with a better laser sight RE4 was still more challenging to beat than RE5.

I don't think it has to do with a better lasersight. RE5 is simply brighter. Everywhere. Even in caverns, it's brighter and less "foggy" than RE4. In RE4, the laser is highlighted because of the darkness and catches the fog.

LiK

Darunia said:
you will need a second controller for this. start a game and press start on controller 2. give sheva the 45 eggs in the inventory screen. start the game for real (pick 2-1 so you don't have to skip a cutscene) and let sheva give you the 45 eggs.

now for the important part: with the first controller select quit, but let it save your inventory status. Select 'no' for the second controller. Now when you start up a new game, Chris will have 45 eggs, but when you let Sheva join in again she will still have her 45.

repeat until you swim in money

WOW, that's easier than i thought, i think i'll do that so i can quickly get the max guns upgrade achievement, thanks!

Davey Cakes

Rez said:
As much as I love RE5, it doesn't have a moment that even touches running from Krauser through the ruins area in RE4.

That's one thing I'll critisce about RE5, especially after now having played a game like Madworld: it didn't offer enough originality or creativity. And as such, some of the set pieces didn't hit as hard; they weren't as memorable. What it did offer was a tried and true method that worked fantastically (it was fun as hell), but that tried and true method (in everything from the gameplay to a lot of the game's biggest set pieces) is what stopped it from being as memorable as RE4 was, and still is.

RE5 is great, but at its core it is a retread of RE4 without the extreme level of creativity.
You are right on the money, good sir. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
GuardianE said:
I don't think it has to do with a better lasersight. RE5 is simply brighter. Everywhere. Even in caverns, it's brighter and less "foggy" than RE4. In RE4, the laser is highlighted because of the darkness and catches the fog.
If that were true then the laser sight would be easily viewable in the darker portions of the game. It isn't at least not for me. The dot is very hard to make out at certain distances even in darker areas. I just got through shooting 12 Lickers in cave with a magnum and I was practically shooting blind due to trying to finish them out of tongue range.

Neiteio

Finally got the Internet working by refreshing the router. Goddamn.
:lol

Oh c'mon, Rasheed. RE4's aggregate score speaking for itself? Are you serious? They came out in different times to different expectations. Nobody expected RE4 to be as good as it was, so it blew minds. RE5, on the other hand, was saddled with MUCH higher expectations; the odds were against it from the start. Also, RE5 stuck to what worked in RE4, so naturally it wasn't going to have the newness that earned RE4 its score. If RE5 came out first, RE5 would have the higher overall score, no doubt about it. People wanted more RE4-style gameplay, playable on an HDTV without looking a blurry mess (RE4 is visually obsolete on an HDTV, I'm sorry). And they got it, with co-op to boot.

It just seems to me like there are people living in the past who are afraid RE4 will ever have something to compete with, and now that that's happening they're trying to defend RE4's not-as-good-as-you-remember-it gameplay with nonsense like "The lack of ground finishers is great because it adds challenge," or "RE5 lacks brilliant setpieces like mashing a button to escape a running statue," or "Let's compare a boss like El Gigante to a MINI-boss like Axeman." C'mon. And where RE4 drags at points, RE5 never lets up. I've seen a number of people go back to RE4 and realize just that about the Castle (several people in this thread, in fact). In RE5 they nailed the pacing; as soon as I finish one round I want to go back for another, while I always tire of RE4 eventually.

You can think what you want about the bosses and enemies. I maintain what I said about how the creatures in RE5 offer more variety and ways to interact, and how the smorgasbord of combat options at your disposal makes engaging them a far more fun proposition. Most bosses have a gimmick you can use instead of sheer firepower, although you can still defeat them with sheer firepower if you wish. In RE4, with the exception of Del Lago (where you HAVE to use the gimmick), all you do is shoot and kill, shoot and kill, with the same ol' weapons like any ol' enemy. Only the Gigantes in the fire room and U-3 mixed it up with traps and a maze, respectively, and in both cases that was only the first half of the fight. Again, for such a long game the approach to boss battles in RE4 felt sorta same-y.

And yes, let's not get into the story, because RE5 wins by default. The characters actually have more than one emotion -- Sheva wanting to split and run, Chris' cynical worldview and need for redemption,
Wesker's
smugness giving way to desperation, all humanizing them in a way Leon's apathy and bravado never did. And then you have a journey that spans a continent, connections big and small to the mythos at large, and far more at stake should the villain succeed, making the story more epic and relevant as an RE title than RE4 ever was with its isolated rescue-the-damsel-in-distress plot. The cutscenes blow RE4's out of the water, as does the scripting and voice-acting (oh god, the VA is better by a mile; I wanted to tear my hair out listening to Ashley and Salazar, but I can listen to Chris and
Wesker
all day).

In the end, believe it or not, I absolutely love RE4, and I absolutely love RE5. I don't think of one as truly better than the other; rather, I treat them like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, regarding each as strong in its own way, different yet equal. Still, when people try to drag down a phenomenal game like RE5 I will point out how its point of comparison -- RE4 -- is itself lacking in fundamental ways (including some VERY fundamental ways; I hate how it looks shit on an HDTV, even with component cables).

It's sad, though, because pitting RE4 and RE5 against one another simply diminishes BOTH games, and really, what do we gain by that?

Prine

Banned
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Honestly, how many games have you progressing from an African shanty town, through swamps and tribal villages, to an unexplored cave with ruins, a pyramid, hidden labs, a boat, only to have a final confrontation on a fucking volcano. There is definitely more variety in RE5 than most games this generation has seen. Fuck it, more than most games, full stop.

This is very accurate, just yesterday on my second playthrough, on 2-2 where you make you way up the mountain as the sun sets illuminating the land in warm orange hues. I stumbled across a mobile toilet. Started knocking. Nothing happened... im not going to tell you what happened next. But it was a holy shit moment.

It was an instance of variety. I missed this bit on my first playthrough, the game keeps throwing new a varied ways to keep you on your toes. I love the way they used the dogs, especially the way they qued up their appearance. They attack in waves.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Uhh the worth of
Heart of Africa
disappointments me. I get the same value gem for beating a half shrimp have bat in under 10 seconds.

Fair enough. It was fun while it lasted.

On a completely unrelated note, what is your avatar?

Yeah I was having fun myself but I guess some people felt I was coming down too hard on RE5 and mouthing off to the greatness of RE4 too much lol. My avatar is from the ATQC 3rd album. Probably my favorite hip-hop album. Here's an up close pic.

midnightmaraudersb00000ba9.jpg

I traded KZ2 for RE5 last week-end and I am really happy with RE5 co-op online with friends.

Im playing on amateur because i am an amateur, but I intend on replaying this on normal and hard later after I boost my weapons.

item management is a bid of pain but I adapted myself to bring less stuff along with me just in case

**I hated the demo, but I love the full game... I dont understand why they picked those spots for introducing players to the game

GQman2121

Banned
I'm currently half way through my Pro run and I can't help but feel like I would rather be playing.......
the game where Jill and Chris are tracking down Wesker. There's a gap of a few years apparently between what's now happening in Africa and what went down in Code Veronica. The latter being more interesting IMO.

Game has definitely gotten much better than I initially thought it was.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I've made peace with RE5's relative lack of grandiosity and scope. I can appreciate that Capcom was going for a more focused mission this time. Leon's mission uncovered a massive operation stretched across an entire countryside and a huge island. Whereas Chris ends up chasing more specific targets.

I was more disappointed with the plot.
Wesker turned out to be a painfully typical villan and there weren't really any interesting revelations regarding Umbrella except for the Progenitor stuff...

LiK

GQman2121 said:
I'm currently half way through my Pro run and I can't help but feel like I would rather be playing.......
the game where Jill and Chris are tracking down Wesker. There's a gap of a few years apparently between what's now happening in Africa and what went down in Code Veronica. The latter being more interesting IMO.

Game has definitely gotten much better than I initially thought it was.

something tells me they could milk everything that was shown in those gaps. they could make more RE side stories before RE6 is out. or create DLC levels. they got a nice engine so i wouldn't be surprised if they did.

LiK said:
something tells me they could milk everything that was shown in those gaps. they could make more RE side stories before RE6 is out. or create DLC levels. they got a nice engine so i wouldn't be surprised if they did.

I would toss fist fulls of cash at Capcom if they announced a DLC mission ala "lost and the damned" that covers what happened between games.

Neiteio

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I would toss fist fulls of cash at Capcom if they announced a DLC mission ala "lost and the damned" that covers what happened between games.
Hey SuperEnemyCrab, what did you think of U-8? Did you like his super-enemy-crab-ness?

The file for U-8 says there are more of them on the black market, including a nigh-indestructible "Prime" version. Maybe we'll see another U-8 someday.

Guess it depends on whether the series reboots its story, although monsters could reappear in a new RE universe, like Chocobo in Final Fantasy.

shpankey

not an idiot
SuperEnemyCrab said:
I'm actually looking forward to the day games REALLY pursue this. I know most people absolutely hate DLC for money but if I truely love a game, as I do with RE5, I'd love to download chapters every so often, ala Half-Life 2 and the like. With RE series, there so much to work with and so many different timeframes that could be filled in. I'm really looking forward to the day a company can release a solid "base" game and then sell us content that builds on that.

Been playing the game for about two weeks straight since I got it. My final verdict: it feels like Resident Evil 4.5. (which is no small feat). It was an enjoyable and fun game, it just could've been so much better if they took the time to come up with a better story and toss the fans a few more bones. Sorry, but a mansion was sorely needed. And Jill felt completely wasted. It was bad enough they completely ruined her appearance to anyone who watched the trailers. Her cameo was pretty much useless.

What people will remember RE5 for is the coop, which was a great addition, but its also a gimmick. Unless they've got some great DLC planned, one year from now, nobody's going to be playing this online. Whereas my wii edition of RE4 is just a quick reach away...

Top Bottom