• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

LiK

Brakara said:
Am I the only one who didn't have any problem with Sheva's AI? She never was out of ammo, and she never wasted herbs. Also, regarding the spoiler, she was even helpful in that fight.

The only times I had problems with her, was in the boss fights in 6-2 and 6-3, where, because of a bug (I think), she suddenly just stood still and was an easy target (even though she had happily evaded everything before). Only happened once on every chapter though.

I also checked the stats after finishing the game (on Normal btw), and she had helped me more than I had helped her (and she only died those two times I mentioned above).

no problems with her either. maybe Sheva hates them :p

btw, Sheva is friggin horrible in Attack mode. make sure she's in Cover mode at all times.

I only had a problem with her near one of the boss fights at the end.

I'd be getting choked out and she'd just stand there and let me take damage.
And once she shot an RPG at me and killed me.

todahawk

LiK said:
no problems with her either. maybe Sheva hates them :p

btw, Sheva is friggin horrible in Attack mode. make sure she's in Cover mode at all times.

agreed, the few times i put her in attack mode she died almost immediately.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, I picked up a Rocket Launcher in Chapter 3-1, but i cant upgrade it at all on the inventory screen....

So how are people getting an infinite Rocket Launcher?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok, I picked up a Rocket Launcher in Chapter 3-1, but i cant upgrade it at all on the inventory screen....

Finish the game under 5 hours.

USD

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

You have to beat the game in under 5 hours to unlock the infinite rocket launcher.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
dskillzhtown said:
I'm on 6-3,
The part where you open bulkheads. I have gotten to the part when the giant roaches and gatling gun dudes are after me.

I tried it 5 times last night, had to stop playing and walk around in the backyard because I was so mad. Truelize, I read your message after I had stopped playing for the night. I probably could have used some help with that part. But I am going to try again tonight. I checked out Youtube and maybe it is just a case of my guns not being upgraded enough.

Sucks that you didn't see my message earlier man. I haven't had much chance to play co-op with this game yet and would have loved to roll through that with you. Keep me in mind for later.

Regarding Sheva AI: I finished the game on Normal and on Veteran without a co-op partner and didn't have much troubles with Sheva. The only real part she was really bad at was the fight with
Wesker and Jill, she kept saying that she would take care of Jill and would run out and get shot
. Other than that I just had her use the handgun exclusively for the normal run through and a fully upgraded VZ71 for the veteran run. Wasn't a big issue.

todahawk

Neiteio said:
I posted this many pages ago:

Interesting tidbits about Versus Survivors I just typed up from the LE guide:
Characters have the following layouts, and may require Exchange Points to unlock:

• BSAA Chris (Default) = M92F, 3 Hand Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • BSAA Sheva (Default) = M92F, 5 Incendiary Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • BSAA Jill (5,000 points) = Px4, 5 Flash Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • Midnight Wesker (30,000 points) = H&K P8, 3 Hand Grenades, 3 Proximity Mines
  • Safari Chris (8,000 points) = SIG P226, 5 Flash Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • Clubbin' Sheva (6,000 points) = AK-74, 3 Hand Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • STARS Chris (13,000 points) = SIG 556, 3 Incendiary Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • Tribal Sheva (15,000 points) = H&K MP5, 5 Flash Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • Battle Suit Jill (7,000 points) = VZ61, 3 Incendiary Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
  • STARS Wesker (50,000 points) = Samurai Edge, 3 Hand Grenades, 1 First Aid Spray
BETTER START SAVING THOSE POINTS.

/snip

The other mode, Slayers, is not simply a competitive Mercenaries, either. The balance for damage taken/given has been recalibrated, with handicaps applied as well. But let's save that discussion for another time!

so it hasn't been determined if points will be required for unlocking characters? hmm, I'm guessing if that was the case it would be points earned in Versus rather than points single player or Mercs points?

don't tease, any info on Slayers? :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
greenjerk said:
so it hasn't been determined if points will be required for unlocking characters? hmm, I'm guessing if that was the case it would be points earned in Versus rather than points single player or Mercs points?

The guide seems to indicate that you'll be using Exchange Points, as the point denominations are listed in the unlockables section, along with the other things you can buy with Exchange Points.

I anticipate a lot of S.T.A.R.S. Wesker, Samurai Edge rushdowns.

LiK

GuardianE said:
The guide seems to indicate that you'll be using Exchange Points, as the point denominations are listed in the unlockables section, along with the other things you can buy with Exchange Points.

Capcom is gonna make you guys work for it! :)

LiK

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok sweet, thanks!! (to all that responded). Do you get a trophy for that too (finishing in under 5 hrs)?

nope, your reward is the infinite ammo rocket launcher :)

OriginX

You get an achievement for running through the story on veteran right? Are you able to use infinite ammo, infinite rocket launcher, etc. and still get the achievement?

LiK

OriginX said:
You get an achievement for running through the story on veteran right? Are you able to use infinite ammo, infinite rocket launcher, etc. and still get the achievement?

YUP, everything carries over. there are no limits. ^_^

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
NameGenerated said:
Bahhh Sheva's AI is sooo bad. She rarely ever helps.
I did my first playthrough on Veteran, as I was fairly confident in RE4 skills translating. But AI Sheva almost ruined it for me.

One ocassion in the
tribal village, there was a shiny on a set of those suspicious holes on the ground... I barely had time to think "hmm, how to approach this?" when idiot Sheva ran over and grabbed it, getting herself impaled and losing almot all her health.
:lol Kinda funny, but still frustrating.

Luckily, I had a friend who had finished it and was more than willing to stand by me for the last couple of chapters.

Still a great, great game. Replayability is soaring, and Mercs is as awesome as I'd hoped.

Pein

Banned
I gave sheva a maxed out hand cannon with infinite ammo and she takes care of everyone, I barely get hit anymore

LiK

Pein said:
I gave sheva a maxed out hand cannon with infinite ammo and she takes care of everyone, I barely get hit anymore

for some reason, my Sheva does better with the L Hawk over the S&W M500. she seems to take more time aiming with it so i gave her back the L Hawk and she's a monster with it.

FreezeSSC

Gotta say though, i did prefer the inventory system of RE:4 i wish there was a faster way to get stuff from sheva then: stop, pull inventory menu, go to her inventory, select item, request/exchange. makes getting grenades or ammo hard when your getting mauled in the face.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok weirdness...I have the 'XMB chime' turned off so when i navigate the XMB i dont get the little sounds for every menu. Its been that way for months, and thus with that off I never hear the 'chime' when i get a trophy....again, been that way for months, and thats the way i like it.

So i beat chapter 6-1 in RE5 last night, and at the screen where it shows your ranking, the trophy notification pops up that i beat 6-1, and i heard the trophy chime!!! Has anything like this happened to any of you?

I double checked my XMB setting after I quit, and the XMB chime is still off.....not a huge deal, but weird nonetheless.....

rezuth

I just read that you can buy ammo, is this true? I'm on the last boss
Wesker
and I have never bought ammo nor do I know how to.

LiK

rezuth said:
I just read that you can buy ammo, is this true? I'm on the last boss
Wesker
and I have never bought ammo nor do I know how to.

the only way to "buy"gun ammo is to buy a gun and sell it. the ammo will always be left in your inventory from that sold gun. not worth it unless you like wasting money.

the only real ammo you can buy is the ammo for the grenade launcher.

you can kinda also buy ammo by upgrading the capacity for a weapon. It automatically fills the clip to whatever the new capacity is. You can save a lot of ammo this way actually.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
LiK said:
nope, your reward is the infinite ammo rocket launcher :)

Ok, last question on this.. After i beat the game once, can i just replay the game one chapter at a time from the chapter select menu, and as long as i beat all the chapters and my total time is under 5 hours, will that count?

Or do i need to start a new game and whip through it under 5 hrs?

LiK

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok, last question on this.. After i beat the game once, can i just replay the game one chapter at a time from the chapter select menu, and as long as i beat all the chapters and my total time is under 5 hours, will that count?

Or do i need to start a new game and whip through it under 5 hrs?

former is correct. you can just replay all previous chapters individually and lower the time until it's under 5 hours. you don't need to play the whole 5 hours at once. but you need to do it for the same difficulty level.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
LiK said:
former is correct. you can just replay all previous chapters individually and lower the time until it's under 5 hours. you don't need to play the whole 5 hours at once. but you need to do it for the same difficulty level.

Awesome, thanks bud!!

Loxley

Yeah, thank gawd you can get it through replaying the chapters out of order. Makes things more enjoyable on my end as a carebear player :D

LiK

NameGenerated said:
Well I'm looking forward to playing with a friend after I finish but I want to beat it single player first.

yea, i heard that if you play coop, Sheva doesnt say anything during the game, correct? she actually makes some story-related comments in solo mode.

OriginX

LiK said:
yea, i heard that if you play coop, Sheva doesnt say anything during the game, correct? she actually makes some story-related comments in solo mode.

No, I play as Sheva 99% of the time in Co-Op and she says all the usual stuff she would say during the solo mode.

Chris' AI is busted. Playing solo new game+ as Sheva is a pain. More than once chris has just kinda stood there not really doing anything despite having a couple infinite ammo weapons. Never had this problem with Sheva AI. What's confusing is why would capcom change the AI? Unless they didn't and my mind is playing tricks on me...

LiK

OriginX said:
No, I play as Sheva 99% of the time in Co-Op and she says all the usual stuff she would say during the solo mode.

ah ok, i tried split-screen mode once in 2-1 and Sheva didn't say anything in the beginning of that chapter like in solo mode.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
OriginX said:

IIRC, she says a lot more stuff, or Chris for that matter, if you're playing Single player. She'll say like the beginning of chapter 'talk', but you miss on some of the small things.

Insaniac

Finally got that Lead Aspirin achievement, and acquired the longbow and gatling gun and their respective achievements. has anyone found all the treasures by themselves?

LiK

Insaniac said:
Finally got that Lead Aspirin achievement, and acquired the longbow and gatling gun and their respective achievements. has anyone found all the treasures by themselves?

not yet, still missing a couple. there's plenty of guides online. you'd be surprised at how obscure some of them are. i dont think anyone could really find them on their own without a guide.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Rash said:
If you're not good at killing Reapers, then use an automatic weapon. Makes it easier to find and hit their weak points. As for the gatling gun guys, just buy a rocket launcher, and shoot one of them with it. Kills 'em both in one shot.

I was good at killing the Reapers earlier in the game, no problem. Not sure what happened now. Maybe these are Super Reapers. Good hint about the rocket launcher. I will be sure to buy one before my next attempt tonight.

Truelize said:
Sucks that you didn't see my message earlier man. I haven't had much chance to play co-op with this game yet and would have loved to roll through that with you. Keep me in mind for later.

Regarding Sheva AI: I finished the game on Normal and on Veteran without a co-op partner and didn't have much troubles with Sheva. The only real part she was really bad at was the fight with
Wesker and Jill, she kept saying that she would take care of Jill and would run out and get shot
. Other than that I just had her use the handgun exclusively for the normal run through and a fully upgraded VZ71 for the veteran run. Wasn't a big issue.

I should have checked my messages sooner, sorry about that.

Sheva hasn't really been that bad honestly. There has been times that she has been a plus because the girl can shoot.

Insaniac

dskillzhtown said:
I was good at killing the Reapers earlier in the game, no problem. Not sure what happened now. Maybe these are Super Reapers. Good hint about the rocket launcher. I will be sure to buy one before my next attempt tonight.

I should have checked my messages sooner, sorry about that.

Sheva hasn't really been that bad honestly. There has been times that she has been a plus because the girl can shoot.

to save money, get free rocket lawnchairs from the Chapter where you're on the boat going around the lake. There's a half sunken ship with a rocket

LiK

dskillzhtown said:

dont have much problems with them. just run away and keep shooting until those sacks appear. even on Veteran, i was able to take them out in 2-3 shots with a maxed out magnum.

alexel

I keep hearing everyone talking about the L Hawk as the go to magnum instead of the S&W 500 even though the S&W 500 has significantly higher damage (5000 compared to 3000). Is the L Hawk just better cause of the rate of fire or are there other factors too?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
alexel said:
I keep hearing everyone talking about the L Hawk as the go to magnum instead of the S&W 500 even though the S&W 500 has significantly higher damage (5000 compared to 3000). Is the L Hawk just better cause of the rate of fire or are there other factors too?

Faster Rate of Fire, less kick/more steady, and more piercing. And in any case, it's still going to be enough to kill anything other than a boss in one hit by itself anyways.

LiK

alexel said:

yea, L Hawk is faster and there's less kickback. but the S&W M500 looks totally badass and is more satisfying to use, imo. personal preference.

OriginX

dskillzhtown said:

You are right, she is a damn good shot, but there is no way I can justify her usage of healing items. Playing with an AI Sheva and actual co-op Sheva is a huge difference. I don't think i can go back to the AI now....

LiK

OriginX said:
You are right, she is a damn good shot, but there is no way I can justify her usage of healing items. Playing with an AI Sheva and actual co-op Sheva is a huge difference. I don't think i can go back to the AI now....

really? from my experience, Sheva never heals me until my health is below halfway or if i'm in danger. never had any problems with her wasting health items. plus the healing herbs tend to appear when they need to so i never felt like she was wasting them.

Neiteio

And everyone's still waiting for an animated GIF of Sheva cocking her head, smiling playfully and saying "Welcome to Africa." The moment I fell for the character, a mere minute or two into the game.

We need this as the feminine counterpart to the raw, testosterone-addled manliness of ChrisBoulderPunch.gif.

Neiteio

greenjerk said:

I just typed this up from the LE guide. Some very interesting twists to Slayers:

• Slayers plays similarly to Mercenaries, only players compete for the highest score from the infected and BOWs
  • A handicap system helps the player with the lowest score by doubling the points they are awarded (though this doesn't apply to Combo bonuses in Slayers)
  • The Difficult Grades (how the game scales the enemies' difficulty based on a ten-level scale) is active and reacts to the performance of the participants; most players will battle Grade 6 (equivalent to Normal) enemies, but the leading player must endure Grade 10, the highest rank of Professional difficulty
  • The Difficulty Grades make little differnece in terms of combat resolution, as Grade has no effect on damage multipliers in Versus mode, although it DOES affect factors such as QTE action windows (how long you have to push the right buttons in a context-sensitive moment)
  • Time Bonus and Combo Bonus rules apply as before, with item locations and enemy types remaining the same
  • Players will only take 70% of usual damage from enemies; this is balanced against the scarcity of healing items and the additional threat of damage from other players
  • The threat of other players exist because players can be included in the chain of kills as part of a running combo count; defeating another player during a combo will calculate their worth as though they were a boss enemy in regard to bonus scoring potential (+4,000 points as a ninth kill, for example, or +5,000 as a 22nd kill)
  • The game ends when the timer expires; if any player dies before the counter reaches zero, they lose points and will reappear randomly on the map, spawning even in the heat of battle or next to a boss
  • There is no limit to the number of times you can die, but don't expect a good score if it happens too often
So that is how Slayers works. For a refresher on Survivors, click HERE.

Rash said:
It's certainly a fun weapon. I got the "lead aspirin" achievement with it. Quite satisfying.
Gotta love the thwip of the shot and the THWAP of the hit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
alexel said:
You can fire it twice as fast, more accurately, and it has better piercing. Neither weapon is a waste of an infinite ammo upgrade.

Daigoro

LiK said:
yea, L Hawk is faster and there's less kickback. but the S&W M500 looks totally badass and is more satisfying to use, imo. personal preference.

i agree. ill take either handcannon over the L hawk any day. i give the L hawk to the AI partner instead.

Neiteio said:
Gotta love the thwip of the shot and the THWAP of the hit.

i also love the creaking of the bow when it is poised to fire. the tension noises are great.

i love that weapon.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
LiK said:
dont have much problems with them. just run away and keep shooting until those sacks appear. even on Veteran, i was able to take them out in 2-3 shots with a maxed out magnum.

Thanks everyone for the help. I actually used the sniper rifle to kill both of them pretty fast.
Looking back, that level was actually harder than the two Wesker levels at the end of the game.

Now on to my 2nd playthrough and Mercenaries!!!

Top Bottom