• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

dalyr95

Just finished it, disapointed. It's a great looking game but doesn't really add anything to the RE4 template. The story is very weak and doesn't really bring anything new to the table, your chasing after people to fill in the holes, while clearly Jill is helping Irving, then Wesker. The areas are very similar in theme to RE4 and yeah the game just didn't break any new ground. Sheva and Chris were lifeless and Jill was wasted. Yeah, disapointed.

Neiteio

eso76 said:
thinking of it, one thing that makes the experience less interesting compared to re4 is not being able to understand what the majini's are saying, or even knowing if they're actually saying something meaninful.
The Majini are speaking Swahili. For instance, the guy with the megaphone in 1-1 says the following:

- "People, think of what awaits us! The paradise. It, Uroboros, is a gift; we are lucky presentees!"

- "He here is an infidel, a fiend. So we now will make an example of him."

- "Intruders! There in the house!"

- "No one shall find out what happened here! They shall DIE! Get them!"

brandonh83 said:
RE4: another exception
RE4's ending was not an exception to the short-'n-sweet rule. All they did was ride off into the sunset on a jet ski, roll the credits and show a brief exchange between Leon and Hunnigan. Not drastically different from RE5's helicopter flight, which has twice as many characters and actually parallels RE1's ending. Plus, in RE5 you have enough epic battles at the end to serve as the climax for three games, battles with more meaning than escaping a pissed-off spider. :D

dalyr95 said:
Sheva and Chris were lifeless and Jill was wasted.
I disagree. These characters were more real than past RE games, imo. Show any casual person cutscenes from this game against ones from past REs and ask which feels more real. Chris has a motive (Jill, redemption), a cynical worldview, a lot of empathy; Sheva plays the hero until all her friends die, then she's scared and wants to cut and run, which humanizes her. These guys weren't all machismo and bravado; they had moments of doubt, fear and sadness. I liked them a lot.

And Jill was great. We see the strength of her love for Chris, how she sacrificed herself at the Spencer Estate to save him. We see that the mere chance she's alive is enough for Chris to continue when he would've quit after 2-3. And the whole idea of Wesker weaponizing her against you is shit-your-pants crazy; the symbolism in her Weskerized hair is delectable, and beating a boss with an appeal to the heart is brilliant. Good, good stuff. To top it all off, both iterations of Jill in Mercs are awesome.

And that ASS, good lawd.

neoism

dalyr95 said:
Just finished it, disapointed. It's a great looking game but doesn't really add anything to the RE4 template. The story is very weak and doesn't really bring anything new to the table, your chasing after people to fill in the holes, while clearly Jill is helping Irving, then Wesker. The areas are very similar in theme to RE4 and yeah the game just didn't break any new ground. Sheva and Chris were lifeless and Jill was wasted. Yeah, disapointed.
Good thing I don't base this game around story, dude the story in all RE games isn't the good. As a game this is the best this year! I haven't even played RE3 and Veronica. I really didn't know what was going on in the cut-scenes, but I still enjoyed the game! The characters are fucking awesome, I read all the journal files, and their fleshed out pretty good! Shame you didn't enjoy it, I'm playing RE4 now, and I'm enjoying it more now because of RE5, it's atmosphere is better than RE5, but gameplay wise there both one-in-the-same! Their both spectacular!

cvxfreak

Yeah, I'm not sure if I can call Chris and Sheva lifeless at this point, unless you have extremely high standards. For once, I actually felt sorry for Chris and the others.

Sidzed2

BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL, PROFESSIONAL MODE AND THE HWAR HERO TROPHY ARE NOW MINE!

Ahem, anyway...

Now I need to do "The Works'. How the heck am I supposed to do it on my own? Any pro-tips?

Also, I think I might be slightly in love with Sheva - which is a problem.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The only weapon I have left to upgrade is the Lightning Hawk now, and I already have the reload speed and capacity maxed, and the fire power is sitting at half way.

All legit too, egg exploit bitchez.

GamerSoul

I finally get through Vet. mode. Oh the power of 2 Magnums. heh, I was actually kicking Weskers ass with that punching combo sequence too. It felt great, smacking him around! :D Wesker is a beast tho, the Matrix Man was quite the adversary.

Ridley327

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, I'm not sure if I can call Chris and Sheva lifeless at this point, unless you have extremely high standards. For once, I actually felt sorry for Chris and the others.

Given that their characterization is no more broad or enriching than that of your average buddy cop film (minus the intentional humor), I don't think it's people having high standards at all....

:D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ridley327 said:
Given that their characterization is no more broad or enriching than that of your average buddy cop film (minus the intentional humor), I don't think it's people having high standards at all....

:D

I'd probably agree with this after I first finished the game, but after reading the files(mainly Sheva) I looked at them in a different light.

Kard8p3

Sidzed2 said:
BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL, PROFESSIONAL MODE AND THE HWAR HERO TROPHY ARE NOW MINE!

Ahem, anyway...

Now I need to do "The Works'. How the heck am I supposed to do it on my own? Any pro-tips?

Also, I think I might be slightly in love with Sheva - which is a problem.

The works is the maximum melee combo right? All you need to do is get a flash grenade then go to 6-1. Get to the point where you run into the big majini throw the flash grenade then melee attack him and sheva will follow up with an attack then you follow up with another one. That should get you the trophy.

consoul

Sidzed2 said:
Did it single player last night. Here's what I'd recommend:

Select Chapter 2-1.
Be Chris and make sure you're carrying Flash grenades. Strip Sheva of all weapons.
Head out of the warehouse and wind your way around to the top of the container where the fire arrow guy was standing above where the dogs first appeared.

Now, what you need to do is go through the container and drop down into the next area where you get set upon by majini, dogs and a Big Man majini. He's your target. Drop in there and hit the Big Man with a flash grenade. He'll go into a stun, at which point you melee him. Sheva will follow up with a kick and you need to run up and hit him again with a backhand to complete "The Works". That's it. Doing it this way is not hard at all.

consoul

Rez said:
The only weapon I have left to upgrade is the Lightning Hawk now, and I already have the reload speed and capacity maxed, and the fire power is sitting at half way.

All legit too, egg exploit bitchez.
Dude! You left the L. Hawk until last?! It's the best weapon in the game. No eggsploit here either (just a bit of farming). All weapons maxed out, but have only got infinite ammo for about half of them so far.

Sidzed2

^^^ Thank you, I will try that when I next get a chance!

I've also got to get the "kill 3 majini via burning oil drums" and "kill a majini via the electrical current" trophies...

...thing is, I'm trying to think of the optimal place where if I fail, I can restart and try again...maybe chapter 1-1 at the public assembly area?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
consoul said:
Dude! You left the L. Hawk until last?! It's the best weapon in the game. No eggsploit here either (just a bit of farming). All weapons maxed out, but have only got infinite ammo for about half of them so far.
Heh heh. I maxed out the S&W M29 (Broken Butterfly) on my first runthrough of the game, and then bought the S&W M500 (Handcannon) when it became available. This meant that I already had one magnum with infinite ammo, but on top of that, I wanted a second one for Sheva. The Handcannon just looked cooler, so I went with that. ;)

Papercuts

Sidzed2 said:
^^^ Thank you, I will try that when I next get a chance!

I've also got to get the "kill 3 majini via burning oil drums" and "kill a majini via the electrical current" trophies...

...thing is, I'm trying to think of the optimal place where if I fail, I can restart and try again...maybe chapter 1-1 at the public assembly area?

I got both of those on 1-1, though killing 3 with oil drums is probably easier in public assembly mercenaries. Killing a majini with the electrical current is also pretty easy at 2-1 where the chainsaw majini shows up.

Sidzed2

Papercuts said:
I got both of those on 1-1, though killing 3 with oil drums is probably easier in public assembly mercenaries. Killing a majini with the electrical current is also pretty easy at 2-1 where the chainsaw majini shows up.

Thanks! So you can get achievements like that in Mercenaries mode?

Ridley327

There's another transformer you can utilize in 3-3 at the second closed gate. Might be a little easier on that level since it doesn't take as long and there's plenty of enemies that are close enough to it to easily nab the achievement/trophy.

Papercuts

Sidzed2 said:
Thanks! So you can get achievements like that in Mercenaries mode?

Yup, it's also probably the best place to get Egg On Your Face because Rotten Eggs aren't all that rare to find there.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Prime Blue said:
It sort of became an in-joke after the two guys with the Justin.tv stream continuously failed at it and the line got repeated by Wesker, over and over and over.
Hey, me and chandog ...it was lag I tell you. LAG! Damnit!..

darkwings

Banned
Resident Evil 5 is a mixed bag for me. In some aspects it outshines RE4, but also fall short of RE4 in many ways (imo)

The levels aren't as fun imo. I loved chapter 3, but I also hated chapter 4 and 6. In RE4, I didn't dislike any of the chapters, and they felt more connected together. I felt that the mine stage was underused, it had potential when you walked in the dark.

There are also some other minor annoyances. Like why cant you get larger inventory later on, or the fact that you cant choose "use" when seeing a herb.

I also thought that RE4 had more memorable bosses. Big chief, Salazar, krauser etc.

cvxfreak

DLC out soon!

Hi Resident Evil Fans!

We are happy to announce that the wait for new Resident Evil 5 content is almost over! The new online multiplayer Versus mode will be available to download on Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network beginning tomorrow, Tuesday, April 7, 2009. For 400 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE, or $4.99 on the PlayStation Network, Resident Evil fans will be able to go up against each other for the most terrifying Versus mode to date.

Versus allows up to four players to match wits in online battles across two very different game types. Slayer’s Rule is a point-based game that challenges players to kill Majinis. In Survivor’s Rule, players hunt the most dangerous game, each other! Players can begin the hunt as Chris, Sheva or other secret characters, and choose from either one-on-one or two-versus-two team matches for either of the two gameplay styles.

Sectus

cvxfreak said:
DLC out soon!
Aha, so it actually ends up being released in other regions before Japan, unless it's been pushed to the 7th for Japan too.

Unless the European date is different I'll have some HD videos of the versus mode uploaded the same day as it's released. That should help people decide whether the DLC is worth getting.

BeeDog

I probably won't play the DLC competively (the control system just doesn't seem fitting for me so don't wanna spend time perfecting my skillz), so if anyone wants to gang up to grab some trophies and have some fun on PSN, hit me up (BeeDog).

UraMallas

darkwings said:
Resident Evil 5 is a mixed bag for me. In some aspects it outshines RE4, but also fall short of RE4 in many ways (imo)

The levels aren't as fun imo. I loved chapter 3, but I also hated chapter 4 and 6. In RE4, I didn't dislike any of the chapters, and they felt more connected together. I felt that the mine stage was underused, it had potential when you walked in the dark.

There are also some other minor annoyances. Like why cant you get larger inventory later on, or the fact that you cant choose "use" when seeing a herb.

I also thought that RE4 had more memorable bosses. Big chief, Salazar, krauser etc.
I agree on every one of these points. Awesome post. I do love RE5 but it isn't as good as RE4, to me.

Anyways, I need someone to blast through 5-3 on Professional with me. Gamertag= UraMallas

LiK

RoboPlato said:
When I first saw this I thought it was what the DL size for Versus was.:lol I'm getting paranoid in this age of on-disk DLC.

it would be hilarious if the RE5 DLC is 108k. backlash mode on! :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MicVlaD said:
I fully expect this to be the case, considering that all of the DLC packs that Capcom released for Street Fighter IV were also strictly download keys.
I think this one may have been patched in and there is a key to unlock it, the same way that LittleBigPlanet handles DLC. There have been a couple of decent sized patches that it could have been included with.

Sectus

MicVlaD said:
I fully expect this to be the case, considering that all of the DLC packs that Capcom released for Street Fighter IV were also strictly download keys.
I highly doubt it is, but it might as well be. The previous patch for PS3 version (which presumably included the versus mode) was 36mb, that's above the size limit of patches on the 360. The 360 patch released today wasn't very big, so I'm guessing most of the data will be delivered with the DLC.

OriginX

Hopefully we will get the DLC this week, Mercenaries is tstarting to get a old now. Any idea if versus is just going to be the same characters as mercenaries, or are we gonna get some new faces?

4 players max in versus, rite?
I assume its just the same four. :(

LiK

OriginX said:
Hopefully we will get the DLC this week, Mercenaries is tstarting to get a old now. Any idea if versus is just going to be the same characters as mercenaries, or are we gonna get some new faces?

day 1 for me if they include more characters. but i dont think i'm really into VS mode right now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
OriginX said:

I'm pretty sure it's all of the characters from Mercs, just with different load outs.

UraMallas

When you face Wesker and Jill at the end of 5-3 on Professional I can't seem to hit Wesker with my weapons even when I'm "hiding" from him. Can he be hit or do I need to run around fro 7 minutes no matter what? I've only used the rocket launcher to try and hit him so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, any tips on how to beat that part are much appreciated, I seem to be at an impasse and I can't find anyone who wants to run through that level with me in co-op so any helpful tips for that section would be welcome.

LiK

UraMallas said:
When you face Wesker and Jill at the end of 5-3 on Professional I can't seem to hit Wesker with my weapons even when I'm "hiding" from him. Can he be hit or do I need to run around fro 7 minutes no matter what? I've only used the rocket launcher to try and hit him so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, any tips on how to beat that part are much appreciated, I seem to be at an impasse and I can't find anyone who wants to run through that level with me in co-op so any helpful tips for that section would be welcome.

havent tried Pro with that section yet. but i assume you use the same tactics where you fire the rocket launcher at him from behind. but aside from that probably easier to keep running away from him.

LiK

Shinz Kicker said:
when you get hit through the door, shoot all the hanging fire lamps to kill the lights. it makes hiding much easier.

oh snap, i didn't even know you could do that! :lol

Top Bottom