• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

LiK

DarkUSS said:
Does anyone know if the DLC will be available on the PSN Store tomorrow rather than the usual Thursday?

definitely thursday judging from past releases. that's how Sony rolls.

Neiteio

Sectus said:
New mercs videos from me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVH6Pzg0geY&fmt=22 - Splitscreen - Experimental Facility - 285k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2we6q_5DR0k&fmt=22 - Splitscreen - Ship Deck - 252k - part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6xki5dPBLA&fmt=22 - Splitscreen - Ship Deck - 252k - part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry2lj3pRt_8&fmt=22 - Splitscreen - Prison - 237k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KloCUUjR7Lc&fmt=22 - Solo - Ship Deck - 147k - part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMqbNlem0ao&fmt=22 - Solo - Ship Deck - 147k - part 2
I'm halfway through your splitscreen Prison video and I'll just say it right now: Please PM a link to a place I can download the video to my harddrive. Please! I love Prison and I love Tribal Sheva and STARS Wesker. So much win in one video. Do share!

If you did another Prison run with Midnight Wesker and Battle Suit Jill, the world may explode from the epic.

EDIT: You should play the 360 version in 720p when you record your vids, though. Screen-tearing's distracting. Btw, which character were you playing on the Prison run?

Okay, just finished RE5 yesterday, great game, one question:

I've completed the necessary requirements for an "S" ranking in Chapter 1-1 (70+ accuracy, 60+ routed, <12:00), but the first of the three badges is still blank in the chapter selection screen. What am I missing?

BeeDog

HAL_Laboratory said:
Okay, just finished RE5 yesterday, great game, one question:

I've completed the necessary requirements for an "S" ranking in Chapter 1-1 (70+ accuracy, 60+ routed, <12:00, but the first of the three badges is still blank in the chapter selection screen. What am I missing?

The badges are not retroactive, so you still need to finish that chapter on Easy if you want to get a rank on the first one.

BeeDog said:
The badges are not retroactive, so you still need to finish that chapter on Easy if you want to get a rank on the first one.
Ah, so badges 1-3 on the chapter select screen are for easy, normal and veteran rankings?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shinz Kicker said:
when you get hit through the door, shoot all the hanging fire lamps to kill the lights. it makes hiding much easier.
WHAT THE FUCK

*turns on Xbox*

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Finally maxed out the Lightning Hawk, and got my last achievement. I think at the moment I can safely say that my favourite Chapter might even be Chapter 4. 4-1 is just an amazing section, and the openness of 4-2 is awesome. Chapter 1 in its entirety deserves a mention, as does Chapter 2 and 3. There are so many great moments spread across the first four chapters that its just a joy to play.

Chapter 5 and 6 have issues. Versing the gun wielding Majini is fun, but no where near as fun as versing the regular Majini. Plus, the general art design of the whole place, outside of a few very clear exceptions, is a lot more generic. The Majini are basically just the Island Ganado, except less varied, the ship deck in 6-1 is just a lot of boring crates placed in a huge area (even though the area is fun to play), the missile rooms just aren't that interesting from a design standpoint (its just a dark, somewhat boring assembly line, it could have been anywhere). Similarly, the ship decks just weren't as interesting from an art standpoint as the beginning of the game was.

All of 5-1, the section where you fight the boss in 5-2, and the monarch room entrance as well as actual boss fight room in 5-3 are all fantastic though. I wish the prison Mercs level made it into the game, it would've added a cool section to 6-3, I'd imagine (although it would've been near impossible to explain and justify :lol).

With all that being said, I still really enjoy playing through Chapter 5 and 6, just not as much as the earlier chapters. The base gameplay mechanics of ducking for cover and fighting enemies with guns just isn't anywhere near as fun as the regular RE4-esque gameplay.

PowderedToast said:
seriously. i just struggled with that shit only a couple of hours ago :lol
I'd always just run behind a corner, press up against the wall, wait for Wesker to show up, and then pop out and shoot him. That method worked just fine. Although the above one probably works much better. :lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Rez said:
Finally maxed out the Lightning Hawk, and got my last achievement. I think at the moment I can safely say that my favourite Chapter might even be Chapter 4. 4-1 is just an amazing section, and the openness of 4-2 is awesome. Chapter 1 in its entirety deserves a mention, as does Chapter 2 and 3. There are so many great moments spread across the first four chapters that its just a joy to play.
I thought Chapter 4 was awesome the first time but on subsequent replays I've grown to really dislike it. It just takes too much time to do everything.

Sidzed2

Rez said:
Chapter 5 and 6 have issues. Versing the gun wielding Majini is fun, but no where near as fun as versing the regular Majini. Plus, the general art design of the whole place, outside of a few very clear exceptions, is a lot more generic. The Majini are basically just the Island Ganado, except less varied, the ship deck in 6-1 is just a lot of boring crates placed in a huge area (even though the area is fun to play), the missile rooms just aren't that interesting from a design standpoint (its just a dark, somewhat boring assembly line, it could have been anywhere). Similarly, the ship decks just weren't as interesting from an art standpoint as the beginning of the game was.

You know, I agree with you, and this makes me think there's a larger issue at play with Capcom recently.

Their art design is getting very, very weak this generation. For example, some portions of Resident Evil 5 are so bland and nondescript, it beggars belief (the ship, some parts of the lab). I love the game, but in terms of atmosphere, RE4 trumps it.

Similarly, Devil May Cry 4 could be gorgeous in some places but horrendously bland in others. If you compare DMC4 to DMC1, it is truly disheartening to see how lacking it is in flair.

As for Street Fighter IV, the characters look pretty interesting and chock full of personality, but some of the stage backdrops are just snooze-worthy (the distillery, for example).

I really love all of the above games, but there's something 'off' about Capcom's art these days.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RoboPlato said:
I thought Chapter 4 was awesome the first time but on subsequent replays I've grown to really dislike it. It just takes too much time to do everything.
I suppose that it mightn't hold up on repeat play throughs, but I really appreciated the variety in it the first few times through when I played it with friends (even the statue/stair room).

UraMallas

RoboPlato said:
I definitely agree. I used to like it but now it's my least favorite chapter. My favorite chapters would have to be Chapters 3 and 5.
3-1 and 3-2 being really standout for me as well as all of chapter 5. I disagree with chapter 5's art design hate, it made me feel clausterphoic and harkened back to survival horror times of old. Tiny, dark halls and lickers FTW.

LiK said:
actually, with chapters like 3 and 4, once you have the maxed out magnum with infinite ammo, i can clear each sub-chapter in Veteran in under 10 min each. it goes by pretty fast. i guess it's also because i have the levels completely memorized :lol
Very true but they just aren't as fun after a couple of goes. Too much backtracking for my tastes.

LiK

actually, with chapters like 3 and 4, once you have the maxed out magnum with infinite ammo, i can clear each sub-chapter in Veteran in under 10 min each. it goes by pretty fast. i guess it's also because i have the levels completely memorized :lol

cvxfreak

UraMallas said:
When you face Wesker and Jill at the end of 5-3 on Professional I can't seem to hit Wesker with my weapons even when I'm "hiding" from him. Can he be hit or do I need to run around fro 7 minutes no matter what? I've only used the rocket launcher to try and hit him so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, any tips on how to beat that part are much appreciated, I seem to be at an impasse and I can't find anyone who wants to run through that level with me in co-op so any helpful tips for that section would be welcome.

My strategy is to buy a Rocket Launcher, and then trigger the first cutscene, being thrown through the door. Then run all the way around back into the main room so quickly that the boss might still be in the vicinity of that doorway (take the long way around the various halls until you're back in the main room). Then launch a rocket and explode it with another bullet. Then assault him with a few more bullets and then he'll run away within minutes.

Neiteio

LiK said:
Yeah, no problem beating Chapter 4 here. It's the chapter closest to RE4's Castle in terms of pacing and progression; you have to work your way around obstacles to assemble keys or trigger devices that allow you to progress (the staircase/statue room, the mirror puzzle), you can occasionally tackle it in non-linear fashion (finding emblems in the laser ruins), and there are abundant setpiece traps, i.e. the Cave's burning balls, falling statues and forced separation (Chris from Sheva in 4-1) = the Castle's falling ceiling, statue chase and forced separation (Leon from Ashley). It's a more condensed experience due to co-op, which I think is an improvement since it distills the Castle to its fun essence. I love Chapter 4, and hesitate calling it my favorite chapter only because it lacks an amazing boss fight. (Although to be fair, I do like Popokarimu's sendoff if you choose to cut and run; the way the temple facade collapses on him reminds me of the rancor's death in Return of the Jedi. :D)

I partially agree with the sentiment that some of the art design in Chapters 5 and 6 borders on bland, although there's always a choice detail here or there that gives it some personality, such as the fleshy growth on the wall of Missile Area where the Reaper eggs are forming, or the long claw marks, splotches of blood and disemboweled carcasses in the
Licker
lab. I actually found the ship deck of 6-1 to be VERY atmospheric; being on a windy sea at night gave it a chilly feeling, which reminded me in a good way of the beginning of Assignment Ada in RE4 where you break into the island facility. And the Experimental Facility -- the elevator room with all the capsules where you fight U-8 -- is gorgeous, one of my favorite areas in the game; Chapter 5 seems to agree, since you visit it in all three subchapters. Come to think of it, all of the boss arenas in those two chapters looked great, with the climatic volcano battle stealing the show. The blend of rain and lava was beautiful.

dk_

On my pro playthrough I realized that you can destroy the
constructs which shoot fire waves (do they have an actual name?)
at you with the rocket launcher in 4-2. Totally blew my mind! :D

I'm rather done with the game. Got the platinum trophy and I can't imagine how the versusu mode could be fun in any way. Let's see!

wi@tt

dk_ said:

I was attempting to do that last night, where do you aim for?

Sectus

Neiteio said:
I'm halfway through your splitscreen Prison video and I'll just say it right now: Please PM a link to a place I can download the video to my harddrive. Please! I love Prison and I love Tribal Sheva and STARS Wesker. So much win in one video. Do share!

If you did another Prison run with Midnight Wesker and Battle Suit Jill, the world may explode from the epic.

EDIT: You should play the 360 version in 720p when you record your vids, though. Screen-tearing's distracting. Btw, which character were you playing on the Prison run?
All of the video links you quoted are actually recorded on the 360 version in 720p. I always record on 360 if I can, but I've got a friend I play with a lot who only has the PS3 version so I've got no other option when recording gameplay with him.

In the splitscreen videos I'm the player to the right. Or another way to say it, I'm the player who's *not* Sheva Tribal (my friend *reeeaaaally* likes Sheva Tribal :p).

Unfortunately, I delete most videos after uploading them to youtube, I just got no good way to store them. They take about 400-700mb each so they'd quickly take up space.

dk_

wi@tt said:
I was attempting to do that last night, where do you aim for?
Just aim for the tall structure (4-5 shots). Makes the whole part easy as hell, but nice that this is possible.

wi@tt

dk_ said:
Just aim for the tall structure (4-5 shots). Makes the whole part easy as hell, but nice that this is possible.

Thank you. And I cannot believe I didn't think to shoot the lamps out during the hide-and-seek sequence.

dk_ said:

I'm rather done with the game. Got the platinum trophy and I can't imagine how the versusu mode could be fun in any way. Let's see!

There is actually single man standing next to each of those towers. You only have to snipe him to
stop the light beams.
. They just intentionally made it tricky to get a good angle on him.

Using a rocket is overkill. You probably got a splash kill on the guy manning it.

dk_

PuppetMaster said:
There is actually single man standing next to each of those towers. You only have to snipe him to
stop the light beams.
. They just intentionally made it tricky to get a good angle on him.

Using a rocket is overkill. You probably got a splash kill on the guy manning it.
Mind blown again. Never noticed the guy on top of it. :-s

fight with
wesker and Jill (veteran). Sheva keeps dying on me that dumb bitch....... i want to avoid getting in to a fight with Wesker. do i need to let him come and press the button to give him a few punches?.. that's fien, but that stupid cunt keeps getting herself in to trouble..

how did you guys and girls do this?

thanx ahead

dk_

Always-honest said:
fight with
wesker and Jill (veteran). Sheva keeps dying on me that dumb bitch....... i want to avoid getting in to a fight with Wesker. do i need to let him come and press the button to give him a few punches?.. that's fien, but that stupid cunt keeps getting herself in to trouble..

how did you guys and girls do this?

thanx ahead
When you finished
Wesker
(needs one rocket launcher hit, you really should do this) use the grenader launcher with flash ammo to stun
Jill
and then grab her..

dk_ said:
When you finished Wesker (needs one rocket launcher hit, you really should do this) use the grenader launcher with flash ammo to stun Jill and then grab her..
yeah.. don't have it, no money. but i think i figured it out.. if only Sheva wouldn't be so fucking stupid.... :p thanx though

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Always-honest said:
yeah.. don't have it, no money. but i think i figured it out.. if only Sheva wouldn't be so fucking stupid.... :p thanx though
Just run away for seven minutes and the first stage of the battle will end. At the beginning of the battle run toward the door to the right and investigate it. After that, run!

Rez said:
Just run away for seven minutes and the first stage of the battle will end. At the beginning of the battle run toward the door to the right and investigate it. After that, run!

yeah. cutscene now.. thanx. i think i almost had him though, i think... or isn't that possible? you can shoot him in the back

wi@tt

dk_ said:
When you finished Wesker (needs one rocket launcher hit, you really should do this) use the grenader launcher with flash ammo to stun Jill and then grab her..

Wait, you can auto trigger that part to end with a single RL hit? I'm lost.

lol. i rember killing el gigante in RE4 with the rocket launcher. the fight was over in a second... i was dissapointed.. :lol it was a pure coincidence i had one with me..

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Always-honest said:
yeah. cutscene now.. thanx. i think i almost had him though, i think... or isn't that possible? you can shoot him in the back
There's an achievement/trophy and a treasure available if you hurt him enough to the point where he flees before the seven minutes are up. The same cutscene is triggered and everything, but yeah, you can technically "beat" him.

TTP said:
Downloading it
I'm leaving for Kuala Lumpar in an hour or so, and won't be back until Saturday. No Versus (or GAF, I guess) for me. :lol

Sectus

Argh! Downloaded the DLC from the european PSN store... no option for it ingame! I forgot I have an asian version of the game >,<

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... the download keeps failing for me. Happening to anyone else?

Nemesis_

Getting Error 80070570 from Xbox Live. Won't let me download >_>

I've paid for it though.

WHY MUST I BE THIS UNLUCKY =(

Top Bottom