• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Insaniac said:
kinda sucks that getting high ranks in mercs unlocks nothing more than characters for mercs.
If you can get high scores consistently you can easily get a ton of exchange points, which is nice once you have everything maxed out since you can have a lot of weapons with infinite ammo.

neoism

It's insane, how I did everything in this game, and I still want to keep playing. It's a shame I just can't get good at mercs. O'well I think I'll scratch my RE itch with some RE4 later. this series is soo fucking great, so far RE5 is definitely my GOTY.

Sectus

I just completed what should be the real highest difficulty.

Veteran difficulty. Stun rod and non-upgraded M92F which you upgrade as you go. No vests, and remove all items from the inventory at the start of each subchapter besides the 92F and stun rod.

Miburou

I love the game and all, but why the hell are the cut-scenes letterboxed on a widescreen TV? I do like how you can have the cut-scenes play in order from the menu, though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Miburou said:
I love the game and all, but why the hell are the cut-scenes letterboxed on a widescreen TV? I do like how you can have the cut-scenes play in order from the menu, though.
They're in the cinematic aspect ratio (which escapes me at the moment, 2.something:1), and I reckon it makes the cinemas in the game look really great. It's like when you watch a DVD and it doesn't take up the whole screen.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Sectus said:
I just completed what should be the real highest difficulty.

Veteran difficulty. Stun rod and non-upgraded M92F which you upgrade as you go. No vests, and remove all items from the inventory at the start of each subchapter besides the 92F and stun rod.
Nope. There's a Professional Mode that unlocks once you beat it on Veteran.

Do it again!

Sectus

Link said:
Nope. There's a Professional Mode that unlocks once you beat it on Veteran.

Do it again!
I'm already aware of pro mode :p I've completed that but I didn't find that kind of difficulty fun.

burgerdog

Rez said:
They're in the cinematic aspect ratio (which escapes me at the moment, 2.something:1), and I reckon it makes the cinemas in the game look really great. It's like when you watch a DVD and it doesn't take up the whole screen.

We need to pimp the noise filter in RE5. You're the only other dude I've seen who has posted about it. RE5 with noise filter is amazing. RE5 graphics = WOW, RE5 WITH NOISE FILTER = WOWFUCK, try it people!

Pojo said:
Problem is, I think after RE5, they've run out of motivating factors for the heroes to keep going. At least in MGS4, Liquid was alive and Vamp came back.
Wesker is undoubtedly dead now, unless they pull the whole clone thing (the Wesker project or whatever it was called.
So they kind of have to reinvent it.

Motivating factors like Bioweapons being sold on the open market now rather than being contained pretty much by one corporation?

The world is a much more dangerous place now than it was back in the 1998 in the world of RE. There aren't just accidental outbreaks anymore. There will now be flat out terrorist attacks.

BeeDog said:
Have fun!
way past them now.. but i heard you can kill them for good.. i just put them to sleep for a while and then make sure i get the fuck out of their way when they wake up....

now on the boat
killing the octupussy with the glowing "shoot here" parts...

Neiteio

BenjaminBirdie said:
HOLY SHIT AT THE 5-1 BOSS.

I MEAN, REALLY.

HOLY SHIT.
Yes, he is AMAZING. Absolutely loved U-8. Of all the bosses in the game, he has the greatest WOW factor. But that's just my opinion; there are a number of bosses left for you to battle, and it's quite possible another will blow your mind, such as the one in 6-2.

burgerdog said:
We need to pimp the noise filter in RE5. You're the only other dude I've seen who has posted about it. RE5 with noise filter is amazing. RE5 graphics = WOW, RE5 WITH NOISE FILTER = WOWFUCK, try it people!
Yeah, I tried the Noise filter the other night. I was expecting film dirt (I think that's what they call the squiggly lines and scratches you see in old movies), but instead it overlays the screen with grain. I don't know why, but it makes the game feel creepier. I tried it in Chapter 1 with all the townspeople glowering at you in the beginning and it reminded me of Siren: Blood Curse.

the_zombie_luke said:
WHOA at using nitrogen rounds to freeze guys and punch them into ice pieces. The first time that happened I just stopped and looked at the screen. And then I knew what all of my gold would be going to for a long time.
Yeah, gotta love shattering them to pieces. The best part is the ice pieces still have bloody flesh. Also, the LE guide's coverage of Versus mode has a pic of one player freezing another, although it notes you CANNOT shatter human players in Versus mode, nor freeze your teammates by accident.

As far as the story going forward... Unless they reboot the mythos and scrap all current characters (still a possibility), I have a hunch RE6 will star Leon and Claire, with guest appearances by Rebecca and Barry, as they track down Sherry Birkin, who is now in London (as per the musings of the producer in a recent interview). Birkin, having grown up in Wesker's custody and submitted to his experiments, is now batshit insane, and tries to finish what Wesker started with Uroboros. Steven Burnside would appear, meaning the game will focus a great deal on Claire's unresolved issues from RE2 and Code Veronica. And of course Leon has matters to resolve with Ada and her apparent betrayal. I doubt Tricell will still be around after the events of RE5.

That's what I think. On another note, I was playing 6-1 the other night on PS3 when I noticed the framerate hovering just below 30 fps on certain stretches of the ship deck. However, when I played the stage a second time I was unable to replicate the slowdown. It only appeared again for a sliver of a second in several places, and that was it. I suppose something was happening somewhere on the map that made it render roughly one time and not the other. It was always perfectly playable; just smoother one time than the other.

Speaking of 6-1, many people rank it and Chapter 6 low on their lists, and given what it's up against I'm not sure it deserves higher. HOWEVER, what a fucking awesome stage. 6-1 is the first all-night stage in the game, and since it's on a ship at sea it's the first stage to feel chilly. The fine mist, moonlit waters, dark sky and Tricell flag tapering in the wind -- all atmospheric. 6-1 marks the first appearance of Base Majini with body armor, and there are some fun cover and sharpshooting opportunities. (You can bypass the cage trap by turning around at the starting point and sniping the crane operator). The dogs tend to blindside me, and one of my favorite monsters -- the duvalia, the great fleshy clamshell plaga -- appears several times. I like the long spiral staircase "breather" and the Gatling Gun Majini as well. And hopping across crates and scaling radar masts is a lot of fun. A good stage to replay when you're itching for some gunplay.

LiK

Neiteio said:
That's what I think. On another note, I was playing 6-1 the other night on PS3 when I noticed the framerate hovering just below 30 fps on certain stretches of the ship deck. However, when I played the stage a second time I was unable to replicate the slowdown. It only appeared again for a sliver of a second in several places, and that was it. I suppose something was happening somewhere on the map one time that made it render roughly one time and not the other. It was always perfectly playable; just smoother one time than the other.

i've found some weird slowdowns or choppiness in both the 360 and PS3 games near the beginning of certain levels with a lot of particle effects. from what i can tell, it' not really a game performance issue. i think the game is loading off the HDD so it goes away pretty quickly if you don't rush off into the level from the start.

btw, i have the 360 version installed so i assume that's why i see slowdown in those parts on both versions of the game. that's my theory. i don't really see any real slowdown in other parts of the game aside from the beginning of a chapter.

Neiteio

God's Beard said:
I really want a GIF of Chris' face in the
bomber when he's looking at Sheva holding on for dear life
:lol
What would be even better is if instead of flashbacks to Jill we saw flashes to another Internet meme. Which meme that'd be, I leave squarely in your hands!

RyuHayate

Neiteio said:
Steven Burnside would appear, meaning the game will focus a great deal on Claire's unresolved issues from RE2 and Code Veronica.

You know, I really thought he was going to have
Jill's
role in RE5. However that was before Capcom presented more of the game's story and a fellow GAF member (I think it was cvxfreak, IIRC) informed me that
his body was taken by Wesker solely for taking T-Veronica examples and nothing more.

But who knows... I'd really like to see him undergo a Raiden-esque transformation.

cvxfreak

Had no idea Jill's VA was the Pink Ranger from Power Rangers in Space.:D

While I liked Jill a lot in RE3 as well, I do think Patricia Ja Lee should reprise the role.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok so i beat the game last night for the first time with three fully upgraded weapons...

Why do i still need to BUY the infinite ammo from the special store? Seems kind of wanky...

Can someone tell me what gives me points to use in the store? I know finding emblems, but what else?

Oh, and why can i only play the first stage in Mercenaries? Do i need to get certain scores to proceed?

LiK

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok so i beat the game last night for the first time with three fully upgraded weapons...

Why do i still need to BUY the infinite ammo from the special store? Seems kind of wanky...

Can someone tell me what gives me points to use in the store? I know finding emblems, but what else?

Oh, and why can i only play the first stage in Mercenaries? Do i need to get certain scores to proceed?

points come from completing a sub-Chapter or completing a stage in Mercs.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
sloppyjoe_gamer said:

1 - Completing levels in Campaign & Mercenaries gets you exchange points to use.
2 - Get an A rank on the maps to unlock characters and new maps.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Neiteio said:
Yeah, I tried the Noise filter the other night. I was expecting film dirt (I think that's what they call the squiggly lines and scratches you see in old movies), but instead it overlays the screen with grain. I don't know why, but it makes the game feel creepier. I tried it in Chapter 1 with all the townspeople glowering at you in the beginning and it reminded me of Siren: Blood Curse.
So it's like the filter they used to use with Silent Hill? I loved that effect. I always thought it was stupid that they got rid of it with SH4.

cvxfreak

Chapter 5-1 is the perfect way to make a lot of points before Versus Mode drops. It literally takes less than 5 minutes and is cake with the IRL.

Davey Cakes

BenjaminBirdie said:
I...don't know what that means, sorry. I just know it was the sickest fucking boss I've ever seen. It actually made me want to go back and play Lost Planet.
Sorry if that went over your head! The 5-1 boss is kind of like a giant black spider, which reminds me of the Metroid Prime (the main boss from the game of the same name).

Christopher

cvxfreak said:
Had no idea Jill's VA was the Pink Ranger from Power Rangers in Space.:D

While I liked Jill a lot in RE3 as well, I do think Patricia Ja Lee should reprise the role.

This Jill did a pretty good job of giving her the REmake sounding "gruff" she had to her voice.

OriginX

I finally beat the game. I was playing as Sheva on co-op. But, call me crazy, but did Chris fucking punch a boulder into lava in the battle against
Wesker
? I swear I saw my partner doing that as I was using the rifle.

Link

The Autumn Wind
OriginX said:
I finally beat the game. I was playing as Sheva on co-op. But, call me crazy, but did Chris fucking punch a boulder into lava in the battle against
Wesker
Yep. He beat that shit into submission.

Neiteio

cvxfreak said:
Chapter 5-1 is the perfect way to make a lot of points before Versus Mode drops. It literally takes less than 5 minutes and is cake with the IRL.
But the most fun way is making a minefield out of Prison with Midnight Wesker. :D

Speaking of Prison, I'd love to take my time exploring it. A gallery of horrors set against the backdrop of a Dragonforce music video... Awesome. Shame it wasn't in the main game but hey, like Waterworld in RE4, that's what makes it special.

They really nailed Mercs in RE5. Each map feels wholly unique, from the open playground of Public Assembly to the linear, tackle-it-in-the-right-order-or-you'll-run-out-of-time Missile Area. The Village offers a more focused map, Experimental Facility is vertical and stuffed top to bottom with monsters, and Ship Deck's a three-level maze of cargo, ziplines and extra weapons (grenade launchers, rockets). The Mines blend tight spaces and open places, Ancient Ruins is about symmetry and straight-aways, and Prison is a series of concentric circles, a labyrinth rich in detail yet tough to memorize. The fact they not only use Majini and Plagas but BOWs such as Reapers and
Lickers
makes it all the sweeter. And I love the Red Executioner Majini; a real challenge to defeat with half the characters.

Character-wise I would've preferred more than Chris, Sheva, Jill and Wesker, but the various iterations we got of the four are great. I wouldn't give up either version of Jill or Wesker for anyone, and I love Safari Chris and Tribal Sheva. I still need to warm up to Clubbin' Sheva's design (which seems popular with everyone in co-op campaign, so maybe I'm the odd man out), and I'm still trying to figure out how to use STARS Chris. No matter who you use, though, they look like an absolute badass.

Just thought I'd chime in with where I stand on the new Mercs.

mittelos

cvxfreak said:
Yep. 6-2 is also a good one; I think it may be quicker than 5-1.

Neiteio

I just finished the first two chapters on Pro in splitscreen co-op, and all I can say is WOW. So satisfying! Even with infinite ammo we've already died plenty of times.

The well-lit central area of the mines in 2-2 proved difficult, until we worked our way up the ladders and held down one of the narrow paths, forcing our enemies into a bottleneck. The other tough part was, you guessed it, Ndesu. We died 19 times before we finally best him. The trick is knowing how to shoot the boulder. Shoot it from the moment he lifts it out of the ground, and when he throws it give your gun a quick bob up and down to trace the bouncing boulder's trajectory. They clearly designed it so you'll hit the rock just enough times to pulverize it. Other than that, be sure you and your partner always hit the QTE prompts (they'll often be different for each player in splitscreen), and when Ndesu staggers back to let the plagas out, zip over to the Bowgun Majini on the right and take them out with a couple shots each, then zip over to the left balcony where another Majini appears throwing Molotov cocktails. When Ndesu pulls out the telephone pole and tries to smash you with it vertically, shoot him at the chest and immediately trace it up to his head; this consistently made him drop the pole before he could strike. For everything else -- the stomps, the charges, the fists -- start shooting the related area the instant he goes into wind-up mode.

I was surprised how much fun I had with the Ndesu battle. Once you accept it's a VERY different battle from RE4's El Gigante, and take it for what it is, it's a blast. Visually stunning, too; his face is expressive, his muscles move, his skin tightens, and the lighting and textures make him look photorealistic (if trolls were real and could be photographed!). A good, challenging boss for an on-rails level.

I can't wait to dive into 3-1. I bet the village at the end is going to be quite the challenge. If nothing else it's always fun piloting the hovercraft together, one guy driving, the other shooting. Like exploring Wind Waker's Great Sea if that game had co-op. Pro-level Wetland Majini... Should be interesting. :D

Can someone give me an EXPLICIT step-by-step guide to beating the
Volcano Wesker
scenario in offline co-op?

I basically have to do both QTEs (we're switching controllers), so I do the Sheva climb (WHICH IS WAY TOO FUCKING HARD BY THE WAY) now after I get back up when is it safe for Chris to Force Push The Doo Doo Rock? What can we do to Wesker to ensure that he won't knock me off? And THEN what do we do?

Honestly, I need instructions for a brain dead idiot, because I cannot for the life of me figure this shit out. We've literally done this forty times. The Sheva thing requires such relentless button pushing that my partner just can't pull it off (unless you only have to push X on every beat/vibration, which I doubt).

So please, PLEASE, walk me through this step by step for, basically both parts, unless one part of it has to happen simultaneously, in which case PLEASE describe that too. PLEASE.

PLEASE.

IT'S BEEN TWO FUCKING HOURS OF THIS.

"DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE"

SHUT UP SPIKE WITH THE VOICE OF STEPHEN COLBERT.

SHUT UP.

Question for you all, I currently have the following weapons:

S&W M500 Magnum w/infinite ammo
M3 Shotgun w/infinite ammo
Gatling Gun w/infinite ammo

I'm wondering what to get and max out next, maybe one of the snipers?

What gun or guns do you guys recommend I pick up next?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Legjend said:
Question for you all, I currently have the following weapons:

S&W M500 Magnum w/infinite ammo
M3 Shotgun w/infinite ammo
Gatling Gun w/infinite ammo

I'm wondering what to get and max out next, maybe one of the snipers?

What gun or guns do you guys recommend I pick up next?
L.Hawk, Hydra, and go for the Infinite RPG.

Christopher

BenjaminBirdie said:
Volcano Wesker

I basically have to do both QTEs (we're switching controllers), so I do the Sheva climb (WHICH IS WAY TOO FUCKING HARD BY THE WAY) now after I get back up when is it safe for Chris to Force Push The Doo Doo Rock? What can we do to Wesker to ensure that he won't knock me off? And THEN what do we do?

Honestly, I need instructions for a brain dead idiot, because I cannot for the life of me figure this shit out. We've literally done this forty times. The Sheva thing requires such relentless button pushing that my partner just can't pull it off (unless you only have to push X on every beat/vibration, which I doubt).

So please, PLEASE, walk me through this step by step for, basically both parts, unless one part of it has to happen simultaneously, in which case PLEASE describe that too. PLEASE.

PLEASE.

"DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE"

SHUT UP.

After she climbs up you push the boulder as Chris, as Sheva you shoot him as he's coming to you while Chris is busy *shrug* just keep tapping the correct button it's not that hard.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Volcano Wesker

PLEASE.

"DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE"

SHUT UP.

First, after the path brokes, Chris goes to a high place (there's only one), Sheva then should shoot wesker back, there's a weak point there I think.

After enough damage, Wesker will go to Sheva place and follow her, then she will have to do her QTE, and Chris should stop Wesker who would try to reach Sheva, after her QTE, now it's Chris turn to open the path with the awesome PUNCHING ROCK skill.

Now that both are together again, go to the high place and the last scene of the combat will begin, one player should get Wesker atention an dthe other try to shoot his back (or both can shoot, the key is shoot and shoot the motherfucker), at one moment, his weak point will be visible, now it's time to Chris get close and activate the final QTE, can be a bit tricky to see the button in the screen but keep trying, then Sheva should come and stab that bastard to death.If you don't want to do the QTE, just aim that spot with your strongest weapon, if your aim kind of sucks, then use the PSG-1 or another rifle.

More or less, that's the order of things, note that there's no really need on do things in that order.

cvxfreak

mittelos said:
Yep. 6-2 is also a good one; I think it may be quicker than 5-1.

Definitely!

I think I prefer 5-1 because the Lickers can drop those resellable jewels. It's good though that they can be alternated between during grinding so we don't get too sick of either one.

USD

I kinda wish there was something else you could do with Exchange Points. I've got a crapton of points, but nothing to use it on (save the upcoming release of Versus mode). Then again I don't have much use for gold anymore either.

OriginX

After beating the game I am thoroughly impressed and am going to start mercenaries asap. But I am left with one major question.

Why did
Wesker
use some mind control device on
Jil
instead of just infecting her with Uroboros like he did with everyone else? That just didn't add up for me.

USD

OriginX said:
After beating the game I am thoroughly impressed and am going to start mercenaries asap. But I am left with one major question.

Why did
Wesker
use some mind control device on
Jil
instead of just infecting her with Uroboros like he did with everyone else? That just didn't add up for me.
If I remember correctly, one of the files in the Library explains why.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
OriginX said:
Wesker
:lol I love how you're like "call me crazy", while anyone playing as Chris the first time is like "this shit is actually happening." :lol Fucking epic bit. Boulder punching will forever go down in videogaming history.

Neiteio

USD said:
I kinda wish there was something else you could do with Exchange Points. I've got a crapton of points, but nothing to use it on (save the upcoming release of Versus mode). Then again I don't have much use for gold anymore either.
In an ideal world, Capcom would support RE5 with tons of free RE5 DLC, the only catch being once you download it, you can't use it until you've unlocked it via exchange points under Bonus Features. Want to use the Samurai Edge in the campaign? *in best Soup Nazi impression* 10,000 points! Want to tackle Mercs with a stun-rod-wielding HUNK? 50,000 points! Want to use Jill's RE1 and/or RE3 costumes in the Chris-and-Jill Spencer Estate co-op sidequest? 100,000 points!

RE6 is a gazillion years away, so they'll need to farm the franchise one way or another. Adding playable Josh or whatever would be far more cost-effective than yet another lightgun game.

On another note... I was playing 3-1 Pro splitscreen when my buddy picked up the rocket launcher at the sunken ship and found the infinite ammo rule applies as well. So now there's two of us rocking an infinite RL! :lol We'll use it sparingly in the interest of challenge, which Pro offers in spades when you aren't chewing up the scenery with high-powered weapons. (ALTHOUGH the danger of being surrounded and put in Dying state persists if you don't watch your back; those Wetland Majini are a wily bunch.)

Neiteio

B-Genius said:
:lol I love how you're like "call me crazy", while anyone playing as Chris the first time is like "this shit is actually happening." :lol Fucking epic bit. Boulder punching will forever go down in videogaming history.
RE5-StrongChris.gif

BAMF OVERDRIVE.

Okay, wait. So it sounds like I should lure Wesker to Sheva BEFORE she has to do the climbing QTE? And then Chris needs to shoot at Wesker so he doesn't knock her off? Then when she gets up she needs to occupy Wesker so Chris can Boulder Punch?

Oy. Can someone really just talk me through this like an infant?

USD

BenjaminBirdie said:
Okay, wait. So it sounds like I should lure Wesker to Sheva BEFORE she has to do the climbing QTE? And then Chris needs to shoot at Wesker so he doesn't knock her off? Then when she gets up she needs to occupy Wesker so Chris can Boulder Punch?

Let Sheva do her climbing thing first. Meanwhile, Chris should go the raised flat area on his side, then dick around until Sheva finishes climbing (Wesker changes his attack pattern while in the flat area, using an easily dodgeable one as opposed to his crazy, continuous swinging). Chris then positions himself so that Wesker's back is exposed to Sheva (Chris has to be close to Wesker so that he exposes his weakspot), who then shoots it until Wesker jumps to her side. Then Chris should go boulder punching. After that, Sheva jumps to Chris's side, and both go back to the flat area.

Neiteio

BenjaminBirdie said:

Here's whatcha do!

- As Chris, there are only two paths available, the one on the left that leads up and the one on the right that leads to the boulder. Take the left path to the high ground!

- Now you're on high ground, and Wesker's walking up the path below you. Keep shooting at him! Aim for his back from the high ground! Try and hit his yellow spot when it appears! Keep shooting, and soon he'll sprout a second arm and hop on over to Sheva...

- Now shoot at Wesker as he approaches Sheva. Sheva needs you to cover her, so keep shooting Wesker to cause him to flinch. After awhile he may throw rocks at you, so sidestep the incoming projectiles.

- When Sheva prompts you, head back down the path and over to the boulder. QTE attack time! Square square square, twirl twirl twirl, circle circle circle, X and Square! The boulder is punched with the fury of a thousand hurricanes into the river of fire, and Sheva hops across.

- Head back to high ground! Checkpoint. Wesker hops up. Keep shooting at him! Sooner or later he'll do his tornado-o'-tentacles trick -- steer clear! When the tornado dies down, rush in and QTE restrain him! Then the person who's Sheva rushes in to QTE stabba-stabba-stabba!

WIN!

Pojo

Banned
Neiteio said:
Here's whatcha do!

- As Chris, there are only two paths available, the one on the left that leads up and the one on the right that leads to the boulder. Take the left path to the high ground!

- Now you're on high ground, and Wesker's walking up the path below you. Keep shooting at him! Aim for his back from the high ground! Try and hit his yellow spot when it appears! Keep shooting, and soon he'll sprout a second arm and hop on over to Sheva...

- Now shoot at Wesker as he approaches Sheva. Sheva needs you to cover her, so keep shooting Wesker to cause him to flinch. After awhile he may throw rocks at you, so sidestep the incoming projectiles.

- When Sheva prompts you, head back down the path and over to the boulder. QTE attack time! Square square square, twirl twirl twirl, circle circle circle, X and Square! The boulder is punched with the fury of a thousand hurricanes into the river of fire, and Sheva hops across.

- Head back to high ground! Checkpoint. Wesker hops up. Keep shooting at him! Sooner or later he'll do his tornado-o'-tentacles trick -- steer clear! When the tornado dies down, rush in and QTE restrain him! Then the person who's Sheva rushes in to QTE stabba-stabba-stabba!

WIN!
You forgot "die you SUM BITCH R1 + L1!!" at the end. Which was totally the best part.

Chris is tired of Wesker's bullshit. And at the end of the game, so was I.

Top Bottom