• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Neiteio

USD said:
It's more than just combos. Killing the minibosses is just as important, if not more, since they're all worth at least 5000 points. If you can chain in a miniboss kill in a high combo, you can rack up serious points. Also make sure you grab as many of the Combo Times as you can, which deprives other players of using them. Deaths also costs you 1000 points, while player kills give you a 1000, so keep that in mind.

And kill the chicken.
But it's more than THAT as well. In Survivors, different guns net different points at different ranges -- i.e. shooting someone with the shotgun will add 1,000 points to your score at 0-1.5 meters, 500 points to your score at 1.5-6 meters, 200 points to your score at 6-9 meters and a paltry 100 points to your score at 9 meters or more. And that's on a per-hit basis; we're not even talking killing people here. It's critical to note there are different point values for each weapon AND each range for that weapon.

Then consider that you lose 50 points every time you're hit; that you get 50% more damage and score every time you shoot someone in the head; that you get 3,000 points for killing a person but lose only 1,000 for dying; and that one's score can never drop below 0.

And in Slayers, note that the handicap system helps the player with the lowest score by doubling the points they are awarded (although this doesn't apply to Combo bonuses). It's not hard to imagine how this will force some Mercs players to change their strategies, although the core mechanic of stringing together combos and killing "boss" characters (which include other humans) late in the combo will still net big points.

All of the above comes from the official player's guide.

todahawk

Neiteio said:
But it's more than THAT as well. In Survivors, different guns net different points at different ranges -- i.e. shooting someone with the shotgun will add 1,000 points to your score at 0-1.5 meters, 500 points to your score at 1.5-6 meters, 200 points to your score at 6-9 meters and a paltry 100 points to your score at 9 meters or more. And that's on a per-hit basis; we're not even talking killing people here. It's critical to note there are different point values for each weapon AND each range for that weapon.

Then consider that you lose 50 points every time you're hit; that you get 50% more damage and score every time you shoot someone in the head; that you get 3,000 points for killing a person but lose only 1,000 for dying; and that one's score can never drop below 0.

And in Slayers, note that the handicap system helps the player with the lowest score by doubling the points they are awarded (although this doesn't apply to Combo bonuses). It's not hard to imagine how this will force some Mercs players to change their strategies, although the core mechanic of stringing together combos and killing "boss" characters (which include other humans) late in the combo will still net big points.

All of the above comes from the official player's guide.

good info, thx.

Versus is a fucking blast. I just played and we lost our first two matches but we came back in the last match, lost the lead and with less than 30 seconds left I caught both players on a catwalk (i was slightly below and off on another platform) in experimental and unloaded with my pistol. I kept nailing wesker and sheva kept reviving him while i racked up the points, closed and passed the gap and sealed the win.

tons of fun. psn id = todahawk if anyone is looking for someone to play vs, mercs or co-op with. I have and use my headset.

Had a few more matches, and yeah is fun. You can stand and blast each other but actually is more fun and practical to search another strategies. Planting mines in strategic points is fun. Killing someone while he is grabbed by an enemy too.

Yeah, I was sceptical about this, but definetly it's awesome, a shame a lot of people it's gonna miss this, for being a expensive DLC. Stupid Capcom!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think my biggest disappointment with the DLC(since I'm a stat whore), is that it doesn't show the amount of Chris, Sheva, etc. you kill in Versus...which is a minor detail, but would be awesome.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yeah, another vote for doing Ndesu solo on pro.

My AI partner would be already shooting the boulder when he would pick it up, and it was much easier to take out.

Not too sure if the angle matters, but I played as Chris.

It sucks tho, I'm used to having the split extra second to hit the QTE to dodge his punch when playing with two people. :lol

And on another note, Battle Suit's machine gun in mercs is absolute shit. I know it's probably designed for just knocking enemeis down for the double knee drop, but on the temple or village, when the tribal majini jump back up, it's not worth the trouble.

UraMallas

Metroidvania said:
Yeah, another vote for doing Ndesu solo on pro.

My AI partner would be already shooting the boulder when he would pick it up, and it was much easier to take out.

Not too sure if the angle matters, but I played as Chris.

It sucks tho, I'm used to having the split extra second to hit the QTE to dodge his punch when playing with two people. :lol
Yeah, I just played through that part online for the first time on Pro and it took us many, many, many tries. When I did it myself it only took one.

People, play 2-3 on pro by yourself.

LiK

just curious, anyone able to beat
Wesker/Jill fight
in 5-3 solo? i heard the AI Sheva is the reason why people can't beat it alone.

mattso

played my first versus match of team survivors. Fun, but my partner quit because we lost by like 1000 points in the end.. kinda lame

I was sheva... the other 3 of them all wesker. I really need to save up some points

Papercuts

LiK said:
Wesker/Jill fight

On Pro, or in general? I find it easier with the AI on Pro, since they will
always shoot the gem thing with perfect aim. For the first segment the AI basically grabs Jill and they both just keep wrestling the entire time.

goldenpp72

I'm at chapter 5-1 (360) and the game will not stop freezing, I passed the [spoilers]Lickers[/spoiler] and get to the big ammo refill place and it just freezes, during cutscenes, during the boss, doesn't matter, I can't pass it. I tried installing and uninstalling :(

Anyone have advice?

UraMallas

LiK said:
Wesker/Jill fight
Basically true. I've tried as AI Chris and AI Sheva and no luck as of yet.
I'll pry try a couple time tomorrow and post back here but from what I can gather, some strategies involve knocking out the lights in the hall and/or running your ass all the way through the upstairs area and back around to Wesker's back before he even comes up the stairs. Half of the time I can't even get past the kick through the door because my AI partner gets blocked off from me and keeps trying to run past Wesker and gets kicked and killed in one hit. If that doesn't happen sometimes Jill just guns her down. If that doesn't happen I accidentally kill Jill with my rocket launcher.
*sigh*

Papercuts said:
On Pro, or in general? I find it easier with the AI on Pro, since they will always shoot the gem thing with perfect aim. For the first segment the AI basically grabs Jill and they both just keep wrestling the entire time.
I have no idea what game you're playing but that has never once happened to me on Pro.
Sheva runs after me and dies right away and when I get lucky and we both get up the stairs Jill runs up and shoots us dead or I shoot her dead and Wesker just laughs.
Unless you have a good tip on how you get what you described to happen...

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
LiK said:
Wesker/Jill fight

Oh you can beat it solo, but its less frustrating with a friend. I'm down to help if you'd like.

Baker

Banned
LiK said:
Wesker/Jill fight
I've beat it a bunch of times solo. I can't even think what the problem would be where people can't.

During the Wesker fight, you of course do all the work and just have the AI run around and be dumb. During the Jill fight, you don't even have to shoot. Just keep running right next to her and when she turns her back to you, you can grab her. The AI will shoot the gem, then you can pry.

j-wood

How are you guys enjoying Versus mode so much? From it IGN hands on, it sounds like garbage.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/970/970729p1.html

Also, I refuse to buy a 5 key that unlocks something on the disc. That's BS pure and simple, and Capcom is just trying to squeeze out more money. If that content was on the disk, then it should already be mine, since I bought that disc for $60.

Papercuts

UraMallas said:
I have no idea what game you're playing but that has never once happened to me on Pro.
Sheva runs after me and dies right away and when I get lucky and we both get up the stairs Jill runs up and shoots us dead or I shoot her dead and Wesker just laughs.
Unless you have a good tip on how you get what you described to happen...

From the start I would
rush at Jill to get her attention, the AI usually grabs her, then I go by the door and get kicked in by Wesker and he just walks around the halls while I hear Sheva and Jill wrestling. I'm not sure if they do that the whole entire time, but I've left the AI out there alone with Jill and neither of them were an issue for the fight.

Since you mentioned killing Jill with a rocket I'm guessing you're using the IRL or something? If so it might be easier for you to rush Jill at the start, grab her, and the AI will knock Jill unconscious for a little bit. Then get kicked in the door, run up the stairs and try to shoot a rocket at Wesker, then shoot it.

I've done it a few times with the AI and did fine, barring the times where Jill just sprays from the start and kills both of us. It's a lot more helpful on the second part against Jill, just give it an infinite ammo magnum and grab her. If the AI ends up grabbing her, don't risk shooting and just try to pull, then when Jill breaks out the QTE isn't possible to get messed up for them.

j-wood said:
How are you guys enjoying Versus mode so much? From it IGN hands on, it sounds like garbage.

Also, I refuse to buy a 5 key that unlocks something on the disc. That's BS pure and simple, and Capcom is just trying to squeeze out more money. If that content was on the disk, then it should already be mine, since I bought that disc for $60.

I find it fun as hell. They mention all 4 staring at each other shooting, which IS what I imagined at first...but nothing of the sort ever happens. It's chaotic and fun.

Kard8p3

What was the 30MB patch that the PS3 version got awhile back? Someone told me that was the versus mode and the download would be a key to unlock the patch. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

UraMallas

LiK said:
fuck, i forgot to specify that i'm asking about the 5-3 boss fight in PRO! :lol
Well, Papercuts just gave an awesome tutorial. Thanks a lot man.

Papercuts said:
From the start I would
rush at Jill to get her attention, the AI usually grabs her, then I go by the door and get kicked in by Wesker and he just walks around the halls while I hear Sheva and Jill wrestling. I'm not sure if they do that the whole entire time, but I've left the AI out there alone with Jill and neither of them were an issue for the fight.

Since you mentioned killing Jill with a rocket I'm guessing you're using the IRL or something? If so it might be easier for you to rush Jill at the start, grab her, and the AI will knock Jill unconscious for a little bit. Then get kicked in the door, run up the stairs and try to shoot a rocket at Wesker, then shoot it.

I've done it a few times with the AI and did fine, barring the times where Jill just sprays from the start and kills both of us. It's a lot more helpful on the second part against Jill, just give it an infinite ammo magnum and grab her. If the AI ends up grabbing her, don't risk shooting and just try to pull, then when Jill breaks out the QTE isn't possible to get messed up for them.

I was never the problem, Sheva was the problem. With these helpful tips, I have no doubt I'll be able to breeze through it. Thanks a bunch.

LiK

UraMallas said:
Well, Papercuts just gave an awesome tutorial. Thanks a lot man.

yea, sounds the same as my usual runs so hopefully i wont have too much trouble with the AI

mattso said:
Just run is what I did in pro

if you're on xbl I can help you do that chapter if you'd like

thanks for the offer but my list is full and i think i'll try it solo while i'm at it.

UraMallas

LiK said:
yea, sounds the same as my usual runs so hopefully i wont have too much trouble with the AI

thanks for the offer but my list is full and i think i'll try it solo while i'm at it.
I think the main thing that I was missing (and perhaps you too) was
first going over to Jill and having Sheva tie her up and then going to the door to get kicked through it.
At least, that is the feeling I get.

Nemesis_

Really enjoying VERSUS. Some great fast paced battles, and the way the engine is constructed makes it really interesting (as well as the strategies).

Papercuts

UraMallas said:
I think the main thing that I was missing (and perhaps you too) was
first going over to Jill and having Sheva tie her up and then going to the door to get kicked through it.
At least, that is the feeling I get.

I've never had luck if I went right to the door, the AI seems to have no clue what to do in the hallway and will randomly run back and forth(right into either boss character, too), not to mention
seeing Jill in the hallway is always bad, since her spray will be a quick death, and you can't fight back. Just note that once or twice I've seen Wesker shoot Sheva while Jill was wrestling with her, so don't worry too badly if things don't go so well the first try. I've also never tried shooting the lights out or whatever that is I've been hearing recently, but it may help out.

Neiteio

Nemesis556 said:
Really enjoying VERSUS. Some great fast paced battles, and the way the engine is constructed makes it really interesting (as well as the strategies).
Everytime I see your avatar, I think to myself Irving would make a cool Mercs/Versus character. He could have all sorts of funny mannerisms and catchphrases, not to mention his taunt (pushing in both analog sticks; used to lure enemies to yourself) could be the "Over heeeeeere" pose and soundbite of his figure in the Figure Gallery. :D

Josh and Irving DLC, plz.

Nemesis_

Neiteio said:
Everytime I see your avatar, I think to myself Irving would make a cool Mercs/Versus character. He could have all sorts of funny mannerisms and catchphrases, not to mention his taunt (pushing in both analog sticks; used to lure enemies to yourself) could be the "Over heeeeeere" pose and soundbite of his figure in the Figure Gallery. :D

Josh and Irving DLC, plz.
I still am baffled as to why they didn't include a third costume for Wesker and another in similar vein to your avatar. I wanna play as Birdwoman, would be awesome if his/her grunts would be "filtered" like the voice during the Irving cutscene too.

And just for shits and giggles, throw in Excella.

Release a TRICELL PACK Capcom! Irving, Excella and Birdwoman all in one =P

Neiteio

Nemesis556 said:
I still am baffled as to why they didn't include a third costume for Wesker and another in similar vein to your avatar. I wanna play as Birdwoman, would be awesome if his/her grunts would be "filtered" like the voice during the Irving cutscene too.
I'd like that a lot. Or, as an alternative, there's the idea of something like Assignment Ada, in this case a self-contained mission starring Wesker and Birdwoman (it has to be co-op compatible, after all). Give them all sorts of stylish melee moves that can only be pulled off in this mode, and show other ways Wesker used Birdwoman to accomplish his goals, and you have the potential for an interesting DLC sidequest.

And just for shits and giggles, throw in Excella.

Release a TRICELL PACK Capcom! Irving, Excella and Birdwoman all in one =P
Excella's silicon would absorb all the bullets in Versus. No fair!

Neiteio

Volcynika said:
How awesome is VS?

So awesome.

XxBigP123xX said:
PS3 versus is great. People actually using mics!:D
Tomorrow. After LOST. I will download Versus on PS3 and join you all.

How's Prison in Versus? Is it tense as hell on Survivors? Prison is my favorite Mercs map, so I'm wondering how it holds up in Versus.

Any Prison fans here?

Volcynika

Neiteio said:
Tomorrow. After LOST. I will download Versus on PS3 and join you all.

How's Prison in Versus? Is it tense as hell on Survivors? Prison is my favorite Mercs map, so I'm wondering how it holds up in Versus.

Any Prison fans here?

Multiple executioners chased me around in there, it was crazy!

consoul

Finally got the 'Who do you trust?' trophy last night and couldn't help noticing the shift in Sheva's behaviour once that level of trust was acheived.

When idle, she deliberately positions herself in front of Chris to make eye contact and has two different "friendly" idle animations. Even the way she looks at Chris changes to a softer, almost smitten look.

Did anyone else notice these differences? These kind of subtle details really add more life to the characters. We've come a LONG way from RE1.

Jaroof

Wow. Capcom, Capcom, Capcom. You STILL never cease to amaze me. Here I thought the VS DLC for RE5 would be terrible, because, in my head, an online deathmatch would seem incredibly boring. Yet, I just played my first team slayer match and had a blast!!!
<3 CAPCOM

:D

But the music is really goofy :lol
I can't help but laugh while playing

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
The Versus modes are fun, but the people you play with will make it or break it. Earlier today, I was playing with some folks that would just voice-chat through the round, cracking jokes and calling out hits, and it was a fun atmosphere. This evening, it was just kids with shitty mics, snarky punks, and ended up being a lot less fun than the Mercs session I had afterwards.

Hope we can get some friendly GAF matches going for both the PS3 and 360 versions.

I also wish the voice-chat was team-only in the two team-based modes. Is the 360 voice chat any different?

Ok I don't think I can ahndle this :p
I stil can't get even close of the later professional stages, sheva keeps dying on her own. The 2 on 2 boss fight is like a joke, she doesn't last more than a few seconds alone. I had a hard time getting past this fight on veteran because she died so much but she can't take a single hit now. I think I actually need to have a real person, the AI just won't cut it.

Papercuts

Kyouji said:
The Versus modes are fun, but the people you play with will make it or break it. Earlier today, I was playing with some folks that would just voice-chat through the round, cracking jokes and calling out hits, and it was a fun atmosphere. This evening, it was just kids with shitty mics, snarky punks, and ended up being a lot less fun than the Mercs session I had afterwards.

Hope we can get some friendly GAF matches going for both the PS3 and 360 versions.

I also wish the voice-chat was team-only in the two team-based modes. Is the 360 voice chat any different?

No, I can hear the other team when I'm playing. And yeah, it was filled with snarky assholes when I was just playing, they clearly did not like me using Wesker's Hydra. :lol

Also: Anyone get the 2 combo achievements yet? I think one is a combo of 20 in Slayers, and the other is 40 in Team Slayers...it's nearly impossible for me to manage a long combo with people shooting you up, not to mention Majini are hard to find and the combo timer seems the exact same from normal Mercs, which is to say, not very long.

Sectus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNVYDXK88cw&fmt=22 - Uploading these videos is taking longer than I had expected, but there's my first team survivors match. It's too bad I couldn't also record the voice chat.

j-wood said:

Those 2 versus mode article by IGN aren't very good. That article doesn't even talk about survivors or the team variants (which are *definitely* the most fun). And some specific things gives me the impression Hilary didn't play the game mode properly.

"I came across some laughable moments where all four players are just standing facing each other shooting one another in the face and hoping to get in a kill shot. It makes RE5 look dumb. And that's coming from the biggest RE5 fan in the office."

That's a good example of something you should NOT do. If you and your enemy are firing directly at eachother you should start to run immediately unless you have an obvious advantage (like using a shotgun at close range while the enemy is merely using a pistol).

And he complaints about...

"For example, if I'm in the lead in Slayers, it would be beneficial for me to prevent other players from smashing a time bonus. After all, if time runs out soon, I win."

I don't quite understand why he complains about that. Time bonuses basically acts as a dynamic round time, if people want more time then go smash it, if they don't then avoid them. It brings a rather unique twist to something which has alwasy been static in multiplayer games.

Hilary's second article where the entire article can be summed up to "2mb has to be unlock key" is a bit ridiculous too. He didn't consider the patches which was recently released or the simple fact that 2mb is way too big for an unlock key.

Kard8p3 said:
What was the 30MB patch that the PS3 version got awhile back? Someone told me that was the versus mode and the download would be a key to unlock the patch. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
I got no way to prove it but I'd say it's very likely. The same patch also added all of the versus mode trophies.

Brakara

BobTheFork said:
I had a hard time getting past this fight on veteran because she died so much but she can't take a single hit now.

If you had problems on veteran, it seems you have a more fundemental problem than just "shitty AI". I, for one, had no problems with her on veteran. Are you giving her the same awesome weapons (with infinite ammo) that you have? Sheva AI with an unlimited magnum gun is a beast. Also make sure to equip her with both vests. Then putting her in cover mode and equipped with a couple of health sprays will make her (and you) pretty much invincible (at least on veteran or lower).

Sectus said:
Hilary's second article where the entire article can be summed up to "2mb has to be unlock key" is a bit ridiculous too. He didn't consider the patches which was recently released or the simple fact that 2mb is way too big for an unlock key.

People who think a 2mb dlc is an unlock key are crazy. It's small because it has no new assets. Compiling new code is tiny in comparison to, say, a map pack. To all who bitch about this: you're not paying for the size, assholes!

Neiteio

Volcynika said:
Yeah, two of them were jumping across platforms at me.
We must experiment and see if we can trick the multiple Executioners in Versus Prison into hitting each other with their axes. :lol

Brakara said:
People who think a 2mb dlc is an unlock key are crazy. It's small because it has no new assets. Compiling new code is tiny in comparison to, say, a map pack. To all who bitch about this: you're not paying for the size, assholes!
quite.

BeeDog

plagiarize said:

But you do know that Versus Mode contains new voice clips from Josh(?) that fit in with the new modes? I seriously doubt they'd fit in the small download. Either the patch added in everything that was needed, or it's a case of Scamco.

Top Bottom