• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BobTheFork said:
Hey, I wanted to ask about 5-2. Should I quit out and comtinue, or just restart the checkpoint? I've tried it a few times now and if I restart the checkpoint, it doesn't let me keep any of the gems I pick up from the lickers. What specifically should I do?
Quit and choose to save your inventory before going through the door to exit the area, then hit 'Continue' on the play game screen. It'll start you at the hallway.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Haunted said:
?

*googles*

edit: fuck no, duping and exploiting a glitch? Not on my watch. I'd rather get the trophy properly or not at all. *folds arms*

Playthroughs of 4-1 work well too. :p

I'd definitly save it for last. Going through Pro gets you a ton of cash(few ammo drops in general, and the cash dropped is worth more).

Haunted

Papercuts said:
Playthroughs of 4-1 work well too. :p

I'd definitly save it for last. Going through Pro gets you a ton of cash(few ammo drops in general, and the cash dropped is worth more).
Yeah, I noticed that chapter had tons of gems in it. I replayed it twice to get that S ranking on Veteran and got like 40k in about ~15 minutes.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Haunted said:
?

*googles*

edit: fuck no, duping and exploiting a glitch? Not on my watch. I'd rather get the trophy properly or not at all.

oh come on dude, there's no way to 'properly' get this, since you have to replay sections over and over to get a steady flow of money. At that point I'd already played through the game 3 times and I still needed a bunch of cash for upgrades. There's no fun or challenge in grinding for it. Using this glitch just speeds up a boring process, that's all.

Papercuts

Haunted said:
Yeah, I noticed that chapter had tons of gems in it. I replayed it twice to get that S ranking on Veteran and got like 40k in about ~15 minutes.

Yup, also helps to get the IRL to use on the boss at the end, it'll drop a Soul Gem which is worth 10K by itself.

Neiteio

I never used the egg exploit, although I did grind the Licker corridor in 5-2 a number of times at $12,500 per run. I got enough money to fully upgrade all the weapons, and it didn't feel like it took particularly long. I waited until I had the infinite rocket launcher; you can do the Licker corridor super-quick by insta-killing the whole Horde. Or mix it up with your weapons as you upgrade them; when I unlocked the gatling gun, the Licker corridor provided the test fodder. :D

Hey Sectus: what software did you use to capture your RE5 footage? I'd like to capture moments from the game that really illustrate how amazing it can be. Just the other day in Versus, I was playing Team Survivors in Public Assembly, and each team of two stood at opposite ends of the main road, lobbing frag grenades across the map, dozens of 'em one after another, so that the detonations came in rapid succession, lifting stray crates in the air and juggling them there while demolishing nearby structures and spraying debris everywhere. The sight elicited a "Whoa! Whoa! WHOA!" from the voice-chatters. :lol

Gotta get that shit on YouTube with all the other amazing videos.

Thanks for the advice on the speed money runs, I just bagged my platinum. I was never a huge fan of RE games before 4; I guess I just prefer a more action oriented game as opposed to the more traditional survival horror games. It's a really great looking game and allot of fun but honestly I'm glad this was just a rental for me. I managed to slam out 4-5 finishes in aobut 2 weeks and I don't think I would play it much more. The vs mode isn't really my thing either, so it doesn't have quite the replay value for me. It's an outstanding game all around though; the first play through is the best.

ZeoVGM

Banned
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST @ THE STUPID BUG THINGS THAT STAB YOU AND YOU DIE IN ONE HIT.

Yet they send like 436435 of them at me. 6-3 is an asshole.

Papercuts

omg rite said:
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST @ THE STUPID BUG THINGS THAT STAB YOU AND YOU DIE IN ONE HIT.

Haha, be sure to be kill them off semi-quickly, when I beat that section I took awhile and the next thing that spawns makes it 50 times worse. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:
?

*googles*

edit: fuck no, duping and exploiting a glitch? Not on my watch. I'd rather get the trophy properly or not at all.
I did it the legit way, and it didn't take too long. Playing through Chapters like 4-1 does help though, although I didn't resort to that until I was up to my last two weapons. =p

Neiteio

omg rite said:

Nearly a half-million is the new two! ^_^

But in all seriousness, to defeat the two Reapers I recommend standing next to the switch to the RIGHT when you're facing the bulkhead; keep your back to the switch and wait for the first Reaper to work his way around the pillar, then hammer him at close range with the shotgun as he snuggles up to you. Blast one weak spot, it'll double over, blast another weak spot, it'll double back, blast the weak spot again and BAM! Dead Reaper. The other one will wait its turn, if you're standing in front of the right switch behind the pillar.

The really tough part comes AFTER the Reapers, in the form of two Gatling Gun Majini. (This is assuming it's your first time through.) It may be best to climb the nearby ladder and grab the proximity mines in one of the utility closets at the end of the catwalk. Plant some mines on a narrow pathway, lure the GG Majini onto them and then shoot 'em while they're stunned. If you drop down from the catwalk and run into the final stretch of the engine room, there will be a turret you can man to your left, which will make quick work of the GG Majini as well. Remember, once their berets are knocked off, they're almost dead.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Finally!
I got SS on all the Mercs maps :D

not a big deal but still it's kinda cool

Neiteio

ThirstyFly said:
What difficulty is it best to do the licker corridor in 5-2? Are there more gem drops on Vet/Pro than on Amateur?
I don't remember if the Licker corridor dropped more on Pro, but in general Pro drops more money; I regularly picked up 200-400 gold per enemy/crate where in previous difficulties I picked up 100.

dgenx said:
Finally!
I got SS on all the Mercs maps :D

not a big deal but still it's kinda cool
Awesome job! I've yet to accomplish this myself. It's not easy! :D

Again, congrats!

Neiteio

MiamiWesker said:
A few members in our biohazard site, biohaze, completed a pro run starting from scratch. And they put it all on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=580586056700560F
Wowza! Bookmarking this bad boy to check out how they tackled Pro Irving from scratch.

I'm sure it's some winning blend of weak-spot partitioning, zoning, immaculate QTE execution and weapon selection. I'm most curious to see what weapons they used; did they stick with the turrets, or did they opt for close-range shotties? I champion regular weapons in the Irving battle, but that's easier to say when you have upgraded Hydras and L. Hawks...

I agree with Papercuts; it's hard to imagine tackling Pro from scratch. I'm glad it's been proven it can be done, though.

Neiteio said:
I don't remember if the Licker corridor dropped more on Pro, but in general Pro drops more money; I regularly picked up 200-400 gold per enemy/crate where in previous difficulties I picked up 100.

How about Amateur vs. Veteran? I haven't unlocked Pro yet since I lost my save during chapter 6 on Vet due my PS3 dying. I had to start over again this weekend and I'm still going though my first run on Normal :(

Neiteio

ThirstyFly said:
How about Amateur vs. Veteran? I haven't unlocked Pro yet since I lost my save during chapter 6 on Vet due my PS3 dying. I had to start over again this weekend and I'm still going though my first run on Normal :(
No, I remember speed-running Amateur to get all S-ranks for the
Uroboros Wesker figure
, and I don't recall seeing much loot dropped.

If you could team up with somebody for a co-op run, they could restore a lot of your wealth, levels cleared and unlockables in little time. I'd help you if it weren't for this being the last couple weeks before I graduate college. O_O

Really, no shame in doing the egg exploit given your situation. Do the egg trick, make your fortune in five minutes, buy every upgrade right away and power through the game, pick off the emblems using a YouTube guide (you can save and quit right after you get them), blast through Amateur with the infinite rocket launcher for S-ranks, and cash in your exchange points, and you should have everything short of the third filter and Pro mode. You could do it in a weekend and end up with better records for the trouble.

I bet there's a fast way to recover all that stuff...

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Ok GAF quick!

Buying a 1600 points card for Versus, yay or nay?

Cause I was planing on buying Versus and Braid, but I already have Braid on PC so...

what to do?

Neiteio

dgenx said:
Ok GAF quick!

Buying a 1600 points card for Versus, yay or nay?

Cause I was planing on buying Versus and Braid, but I already have Braid on PC so...

what to do?
Well, did you enjoy the combat in RE5? The Survivors and Team Survivors component of Versus is like squaring off against much faster, smarter and deadlier Majini. You'll be running behind cover to absorb gunfire, making sharp turns and climbing and jumping and doing whatever it takes to shake people off your trail, shooting people in the back, exploiting environmental traps, and gunning (or knifing, or exploding) for a direct kill when you have the upper hand, not to mention getting lost in the crowd of regular enemies and bosses. I find it exhilarating, although it's quite challenging when you're up against real pros, and frustrating when the other team snatches victory from the jaws of defeat at the last second.

The Slayers component, meanwhile, is everything you loved about Mercenaries but in a competitive context. How well it works depends on the crowd -- some people gun for you more than the Majini, turning it into pseduo-Survivors -- but do what I do and choose Japanese hosts, and you'll generally find politer people who play by the rules.

It really feels like $5 well-spent. For me it greatly expanded the size of the game; I said earlier in the thread it felt like it added 30 percent more game. The feel of Versus is unlike anything else in the game -- the techno music, the pacing, all the people running around and voice chatting, the thrill of seeing Reapers chase somebody other than you -- and it's fun getting new trophies and unlocking the characters again (finally, a reason to strive for exchange points). You'll also see multiple Executioners at a time in Prison, which is nothing short of fucking nuts.

So I loved it, and I think you'd love it too, but let's hear some more opinions.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm not sure why some people on GAF bitch about the interactive cinemas in games. The whole pressing a button to dodge something thing.

Otherwise, you'd be watching the same scene, but it adds some freaking tension while you're watching it. The scene on the plane was awesome.

And now I'm in the volcano. And Sheva just got owned.

Edit: To the above poster, there's no need to buy a point card. You can buy 500 points with a credit card, and Versus is 400 points. You'd barely have any left over.

dgenx

Neiteio you have PSN or XBL?

If you have XBL add me: dgenererex

If you have PSN: well...do nothing :p

Neiteio

dgenx said:
Neiteio you have PSN or XBL?

If you have XBL add me: dgenererex

If you have PSN: well...do nothing :p
PSN. Sorry! I wish the whole RE5 community could play together. ;__;

It would be one great orgy of Majini-mashing machismo and masculinity. (+300 alliteration exp.)

Neiteio

omg rite said:
Amateur = beaten.

I have to say though, fairly disappointing ending.
Yeah, it continues the proud RE tradition of chitchat-off-into-the-sunset*, echoing the chopper evac and rocket kills of the first RE. Very short, maybe sweet. Didn't bother me much because I consider the three back-to-back-to-back showdowns with Wesker the story's real payoff.

I certainly wouldn't argue with more character moments at the end, though, and I am disappointed we didn't get Chris and Sheva making a Jill sandwich. (Okay, I kid.)
No I don't.

*Actually a sunrise.

Spasm

ThirstyFly said:
What difficulty is it best to do the licker corridor in 5-2? Are there more gem drops on Vet/Pro than on Amateur?
Doesn't matter. It's always 5 Lion Hearts whether you're on Amateur or Professional.

Neiteio

Time for Versus! Only... It won't be me playing! My little bro will be running rampant in Kijuju. I'll be bound to a desk slaving over work that is decidedly devoid of zombies. That's why I love NeoGAF; they provide the zombies when The Man doesn't.

Also, a bit OT but Spasm, is that a live-action Sakura in your avatar?

Neiteio said:
If you could team up with somebody for a co-op run, they could restore a lot of your wealth, levels cleared and unlockables in little time. I'd help you if it weren't for this being the last couple weeks before I graduate college. O_O

No prob. I think once I get past the hump of beating it on normal for the first time I should be able to catch up pretty fast. I don't think the guy I was playing though Vet with wants to redo those levels with me though :(

Spasm said:
Doesn't matter. It's always 5 Lion Hearts whether you're on Amateur or Professional.

Poifect. That should save me some time, thanks.

Spasm

ThirstyFly said:
Will do. I like using the rifles on them anyway. A nice shot in the face always makes me smile.
It's also a good spot to stock up on green herbs. Send your partner attacking when you start. She'll/he'll get the herb, and anything in the crates while you're murderfacing Lickers. I think I had about 40 green herbs when I was done. They really came in handy for my Pro run.

Neiteio

Man, I never appreciated the Mines much in Mercs, but the map really shines in Versus. Don't think RE5 is scary? Try being cornered by two Reapers deep in the tunnels, or thinking you're safe up on a scaffolding only to see them jump three stories and come skittering after you on all fours, or watching how wrong they look as they clamber after someone in the shadows. The drawn-out death animation for the one-hit kill is brutal -- four scythes stabbing you repeatedly in the gut?! -- and it always gets someone in Team Survivors. My bro's playing it right now and Reapers killed him twice, as well as both guys on the other team. You kinda lose track of where they are when you're in the heat of battle fighting two or three other people, and then they blindside you and you're dead. O_O

I also like the wet look of the walls in the Mines. I'm one of the guys who loved oogling the slick stones of the lighthouse at the beginning of BioShock, so the damp rocks of the Mines are right up my alley. :D

RoboPlato said:
Just make sure you don't use the RPG to fight them. You only get 3 when doing it.
Are you referring to lion hearts in the Licker corridor on 5-2? I always use the infinite rocket launcher and get five lion hearts each time. I only see myself physically pick up three, but I have five in my inventory as soon as I'm back in Item Management.

I'd try the rocket launcher first. It may prove easier and more profitable, unless my game has a rather lucrative glitch.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Two more trophies down....4 more to go for my Platinum!

I absolutely DESPISE the boss at the end of 6-2....

Anyone have any tips for successfully getting a good lock on with the satellite without the damn arms whipping all over the place? Will Sheva do that part if i set her to attack?

Also...total time tonight was 5 hrs 24 min.... ARRGHH!!! I need to shave off 24 minutes someplace to get under the 5 hrs for the
inf rocket launcher.

Any tips for shaving off time on certain levels?

Neiteio

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

Anyone have any tips for successfully getting a good lock on with the satellite without the damn arms whipping all over the place? Will Sheva do that part if i set her to attack?

Also...total time tonight was 5 hrs 24 min.... ARRGHH!!! I need to shave off 24 minutes someplace to get under the 5 hrs for the
inf rocket launcher.

Any tips for shaving off time on certain levels?
To shave LOTS of time off 6-1, turn around at the start of the level and snipe the crane operator. That way he won't drop the cage on Sheva and force you to go all the way around the ship, up two long ladders and flip the switch. That's one time saver off the top of my head.

As for dealing with Uroboros Aheri, I'd just revisit 3-1, sail out to the shipwreck in the middle of the marsh and pick up the free rocket. Then go back to 6-2, run to the boss, and after taking out its first two tentacles, simply shoot a rocket at the main bulb to kill it in one hit.

Problem solved. :D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Neiteio said:
Are you referring to lion hearts in the Licker corridor on 5-2? I always use the infinite rocket launcher and get five lion hearts each time. I only see myself physically pick up three, but I have five in my inventory as soon as I'm back in Item Management.

I'd try the rocket launcher first. It may prove easier and more profitable, unless my game has a rather lucrative glitch.
Yeah. When I used the rocket launcheer. I only got 5 the first time then only 3 every time after that. I searched thoroughly so I didn't just miss them. Once I started using magnums again I got them again.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Neiteio said:
To shave LOTS of time off 6-1, turn around at the start of the level and snipe the crane operator. That way he won't drop the cage on Sheva and force you to go all the way around the ship, up two long ladders and flip the switch. That's one time saver off the top of my head.

As for dealing with Uroboros Aheri, I'd just revisit 3-1, sail out to the shipwreck in the middle of the marsh and pick up the free rocket. Then go back to 6-2, run to the boss, and after taking out its first two tentacles, simply shoot a rocket at the main bulb to kill it in one hit.

Problem solved. :D

Great tips thanks!!! I'll give these a shot tomorrow.

comrade

I'm trying to S 6-2 on the easiest difficulty but I keep getting a C for Enemies Routed. I can only find 6 guys to kill, who am I missing?

Edit: just realized the little minions the boss throws probably counts towards this.

wi@tt

So Saturday night I helped a good friend speed run on Amateur for the IRL, we ended up with a total time of 2:43:46. Impressed with our work I checked the PSN leader boards and there are people with 1:13 runs, floored me. Any suggestions on how to cut time down?

Neiteio

Here's another tip to save time: on 6-2, four shots from a magnum will make the tentacles blocking the hallways disappear. This allows you to skip most of the inside of the ship, going straight to the Majini with the keycard.

blahness

comrade said:
I'm trying to S 6-2 on the easiest difficulty but I keep getting a C for Enemies Routed. I can only find 6 guys to kill, who am I missing?

Edit: just realized the little minions the boss throws probably counts towards this.
yes i had this exact problem and you are correct.. just dont give sheva a weapon and take some time out to kill a bunch of the little critters

Papercuts

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

I never actually gave the AI the weapon, so I'm not sure how they use it. If you want to normally beat it with no rocket assistance, shoot one of the bulbs a few times and it'll stay still long enough to lock on.

Neiteio

Just got done playing a couple hours of Versus. Near the end I played a Slayers free-for-all on Ship Deck, and right from the onset I was doing well, quickly reaching 30,000 when the others were straggling around 5,000. I killed a couple of them with the rockets on the platform you reach from the crane by zipline, and they were so pissed they started telling each other to "kick third player's fucking ass." So they're all cornering me near the steps by the radar mast at the bow of the ship, when I kill one of them with the Hydra, then I blast his buddy with the Hydra so he falls back and gets killed by a Chainsaw Majin (impeccable timing), and the third one is running around confused while the two I just slain yell at him to kill me. For the rest of the match all they did was hunt me across the ship, and in the end I came in third or fourth with 20,000 points, after which they kicked me.

I sent the head deuche a message telling him it's both funny and sad it took all three of them to handle me, and that I was adding him and his friends to my Block List. I then scrolled up to Players Met and banned them from ever contacting me again. I'm not normally one to give these sort the time of day, but I know they're the type driven crazy by not having the last word, so I gave 'em the block. Muahaha. :D

Also, Gatling Gun Majini appear on Experimental Facility in Slayers. Intense!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Papercuts said:
Damn!

I've beaten Pro once without infinite ammo, but starting from scratch I couldn't even imagine.
I'm working on a Pro run right now where not only did I buy new guns but I'm only using handguns without upgrading them and grenades. It's actually surprisingly easier than the one I did in RE4's pro mode mostly because of the finisher moves. The only stage I think will give me problems are 5 and 6 because some of the enemies have armor on the shins. Usually they give you a barrel to blow up when you confront fully armored enemies anyway so we'll see how it goes.

So far I've only died about 7 times and I'm on stage 4-2.

Top Bottom