• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Relaxed Muscle said:
Yeah, I wonder if that's why so many game designers are in the credits. :lol

Always amazed me, how awesome that Leon model looks....
I was just looking through the old RE4 topic. Fond memories in there just reading the total 180 even the most hardcore of haters made once they played the game for themselves from start to finish. and <3 RE4 models. Remember these?

resident-evil-4-poster-ads-hit-japan-20050124022706059.jpg

resident-evil-4-poster-ads-hit-japan-20050124022709746.jpg

resident-evil-4-poster-ads-hit-japan-20050124022711637.jpg

Great advertising on Capcoms part.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
dgenx said:
those images just put one thing in my mind

Mercs DLC mercs DLC Mercs DLC DLC Mercs MDercLDC MERMCLSCMEOCLM
(and versus too)
Black Hawk Down merc level. Do it Capcom.

They completely changed the lighting model between the two versions. I wish they would have had that as one of the unlockable "filters".

Neiteio

Shaheed79 said:
I was just looking through the old RE4 topic. Fond memories in there just reading the total 180 even the most hardcore of haters made once they played the game for themselves from start to finish.
Yeah, that's what I mean when I point out how RE4 had the benefit of low expectations going in. Many old RE fans were skeptical the new formula could work, and when it did work it made strong impressions. Now imagine if RE4 had had co-op and all this new stuff when it came out. The world would've imploded. :lol

The fact RE5 has been so well-received in a post-RE4 world when everyone's now used to that style of gameplay is testimony to how great it is.

and <3 RE4 models. Remember these? Great advertising on Capcoms part.
Yeah, the old-gen models are starting to look a bit like glassy-eyed mannequins (wish they looked that sharp on modern TVs), but I loved everything they did to advertise the game back then. The Wii Edition commercial that superimposed Bitores and the Ganado in a live-action skit was brilliant as well.

Neiteio

Also, does anyone have the high-res version of this? It'd make good wallpaper:

re5_advertisement_japan.jpg

Fits nicely with the (decidely non-canonical) post-traumatic-stress-disorder Chris contemplating suicide in the live-action TV commercial.

(Love that spot.)

Neiteio

Shaheed79 said:
Tell me about it. :lol
Yeah, the advertising's one thing that'll always hold up well. Nothing like random humor. :D

But what's with the colors in the screengrabs posted earlier? I just watched the PSN version of the trailer and the colors and lighting look so much better, all rich and colorful like the final game, not muddy and washed-out. I know there's a slight lighting difference between the 360 and PS3 versions of the game, but the screengrabs from the old trailer aren't quite comparable to either.

It might be my laptop making 'em look funny.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
someone make one of that model pics with Wesker, pretty please?

My photoshop skills sucks

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Neiteio said:
Also, does anyone have the high-res version of this? It'd make good wallpaper:

re5_advertisement_japan.jpg

Fits nicely with the (decidely non-canonical) post-traumatic-stress-disorder Chris contemplating suicide in the live-action TV commercial.

(Love that spot.)
Enjoy.

(sorry about the whole 1up presents thing, it's the only high res version of this shot that I've seen released)

Neiteio

dgenx said:
someone make one of that model pics with Wesker, pretty please?

My photoshop skills sucks
Hire an advertising firm like Capcom did. :lol

Anyone good with Photoshop here? Let's see some RE5 renders in real-life settings. Get your high-res models here.

Rez said:
Enjoy.

(sorry about the whole 1up presents thing, it's the only high res version of this shot that I've seen released)
WOWZA. I knew I saw this somewhere. Thanks man!

*frets over lack of 1920x1080 but is thankful for what he has!*

Neiteio

A blonde bombshell from every angle, courtesy of Sectus:

J01.jpg

J02.jpg

J03.jpg

J04.jpg

J05.jpg

J06.jpg

Didn't want all those yummy screenshots to waste away in my inbox. Thanks for the pleasant surprise, Sectus!

Now make us a composite Jill, ala Excella a few pages ago. :D

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Ok GAF you win!

I bought a 1600 points card for Versus mode

I dunno if I'm stupid or mega cool

who plays Versus here? (XBL)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Volcynika said:
Never gonna get the Team Slayer combo of 40! Other team always tries to kill me and fallengorn too much. 32 is our highest.

My highest has been a 46 with two tribal shevas, if players attack you, just know that two bow headshots will kill them. Her one hit kill nature on normal enemies makes it pretty easy to save a combo.

Neiteio

Papercuts said:
My highest has been a 46 with two tribal shevas, if players attack you, just know that two bow headshots will kill them. Her one hit kill nature on normal enemies makes it pretty easy to save a combo.
Does proximity matter when it comes to Tribal Sheva's bow headshots in Versus? If you can kill in two hits from a distance that's pretty damn useful.

Funny moment in Slayers: on Ship Deck, I was standing on the tower with the two rockets, and another person was standing on the tower at the other end of the zipline. After failing to hit him with the two rockets, I aimed with my pistol and killed him from the other side of the map.

Talk about a long-distance pistol kill! It was funny firing the pistol and seeing his pinprick of a body fall over as points were added to my score. ^_^

Papercuts

Neiteio said:
Does proximity matter when it comes to Tribal Sheva's bow headshots in Versus? If you can kill in two hits from a distance that's pretty damn useful.

Funny moment in Slayers: on Ship Deck, I was standing on the tower with the two rockets, and another person was standing on the tower at the other end of the zipline. After failing to hit him with the two rockets, I aimed with my pistol and killed him from the other side of the map.

Talk about a long-distance pistol kill! It was funny firing the pistol and seeing his pinprick of a body fall over as points were added to my score. ^_^

I'm actually not sure if range makes a difference for that, but when I play the people trying to kill me like to get RIGHT in my face, which makes a headshot pretty much second nature. Though it's actually harder if they're using S.T.A.R.S. Wesker and his handcannon, the recoil can actually protect his face and make the arrow hit his arm instead.

I like Ship Deck in Slayers, especially when I see people sniping, completly oblivious to how close the chainsaw guy really is. :lol

Neiteio

Papercuts said:
I'm actually not sure if range makes a difference for that, but when I play the people trying to kill me like to get RIGHT in my face, which makes a headshot pretty much second nature. Though it's actually harder if they're using S.T.A.R.S. Wesker and his handcannon, the recoil can actually protect his face and make the arrow hit his arm instead.
I use STARS Wesker when I play for points, so that probably explains why Tribal standoffs don't give me much trouble. :p Although there was this one Tribal Sheva who kept stealing my kills. It's SO frustrating to finally put someone in Dying animation, only for Tribal Sheva to run in with a flip-kick before I can wind up a ghost butterfly. Still, gotta give them props for seizing an opportunity. Takes just as much skill surviving long enough to steal a kill as it does going straight for someone's throat. ^_^

I like Ship Deck in Slayers, especially when I see people sniping, completly oblivious to how close the chainsaw guy really is. :lol
When it comes to unwittingly beseiged snipers, I love the Mines: people try and snipe the people at the top of the central room only to be killed by a Reaper. But unlike the Chainsaw Majini, the Reaper doesn't just kill you; he kills you for a good minute or so, rubbing it in. :lol

What the hell??? i told my buddy to get the game, so he did. We tried allll night to get a co op game going and nothing worked...this everytime...

communication error???

were in the same frickin state? Were both signed into ps network so of course theres a internet connection? Tried just me staring a game. loading it, then send the invite, didnt work. Tried making a open game, and my buddy would search for my name and try to join it. didnt work. I made sure i selected a chapter that he has done too, but im pretty sure you can join any level right?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TrAcEr_x90 said:
What the hell??? i told my buddy to get the game, so he did. We tried allll night to get a co op game going and nothing worked...this everytime...

communication error???

were in the same frickin state? Were both signed into ps network so of course theres a internet connection? Tried just me staring a game. loading it, then send the invite, didnt work. Tried making a open game, and my buddy would search for my name and try to join it. didnt work. I made sure i selected a chapter that he has done too, but im pretty sure you can join any level right?
You need to hit Triangle on you friend's name and accept the invite in order to join it once you've received an invite.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
TrAcEr_x90 said:

communication error???

Try restarting the game or ps3. It sounds stupid, but when I have connection issues it works for me.

Papercuts

Neiteio said:
I use STARS Wesker when I play for points, so that probably explains why Tribal standoffs don't give me much trouble. :p Although there was this one Tribal Sheva who kept stealing my kills. It's SO frustrating to finally put someone in Dying animation, only for Tribal Sheva to run in with a flip-kick before I can wind up a ghost butterfly. Still, gotta give them props for seizing an opportunity. Takes just as much skill surviving long enough to steal a kill as it does going straight for someone's throat. ^_^

I always play for points, but a lot of other people don't. That's why I then shoot them point blank in the face and then they usually avoid me. I prefer to play STARS Wesker, but I will literally get booted from the lobby just for picking him sometimes, so Tribal Sheva is my second choice, or my preferred in a 1v1 Slayer match. Still, some people get so annoying about Wesker, I was just hosting a match with 3 people total, and the one guy rushes right at me to try and kill me, so I shot the explosive barrel he was right beside(you'd think it'd be obvious to NOT stand and fire there!), and while I'm doing the ghost butterfly he quit and then I got a message saying to "keep whoring wesker"...when in my typical mindset I have an unspoken truce to NOT attack people unless they start, even then I usually run from the first few shots to see if they give up.

And about the kill stealing, yeah, I actually do that sometimes too. If the people are just standing there shooting at eachother, only one will survive, and it'll be be a thread. So I kill the dying one and then the other player is usually a hit from death, so I kill them too! I hate it when you battle the boss enemy and some sniper gets the last hit in, though. =(

Volcynika

I've maybe had one match where the other team didn't focus on exclusively attacking just other players (this is in Slayers mode). We won by a good margin and they both left, only to be replaced by the kind of opponents that just try to kill players. We'd run by each other and I'd make sure not to hit them, unless on accident. But once someone starts attacking me, I feel it's time to bring the pain.

Sad. :(

MrDenny

Just finished the game. Overall I enjoyed the game, despite a few flaws. The story and characters could have been developed better. Irving and Estella just seemed to appear out of no where. By the time I beat it, it felt like Sheva was just tagging along, instead of fighting for her own cause. I laughed when I saw
Jill. Jill = Nina
from Tekken.Didn't like the ending. Seemed liked the typical, "We did it! Let's go home now."ending.

cvxfreak

I still liked the ending. :(

If anything, the whole end boss fight was essentially the ending, IMO. I think it would have dragged on if it were more dramatic.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have no complaints about the ending. It was of a comparable quality to all the other cutscenes in the game.

MrDenny said:
I laughed when I saw
Jill. Jill = Nina
from Tekken.
I haven't picked RE5 up yet, but that's the same impression that I get from the screenshots and videos I've seen. Why the heck did they feel the need to dye her hair and give her a radically different hairstyle? Consistency in character design is a good thing.

Oh, have we gotten to people complaining about being attacked by other players in Slayers? :lol I had to hear an earful of waaaaah the other day, gunning someone down in Slayers. "WHAT THE HELL?! THAT BITCH SHOT ME?!" Next time, don't stand around in a crowd of Majini like a complete dork. I use Zero Suit Samus almost exclusively, and love to lob grenades from afar. I've had players chase me around for over a minute in Slayers, trying to kill me, all the while passing by several Majini and bosses worth far more points for far less effort. In some of those cases, I still end up winning because they become more obsessed with killing me than scoring points. It is to laugh.

I'm having an easier time filling Versus lobbies on PSN than XBL. Maybe because I tend to avoid Ranked match, and they don't even give you that option on PSN. I've gotten favorable responses for cycling through each map in Slayers then Survivors when I host, too. Try it, folks. It's fun.

Rez said:
It also looks like there was once an actual battle in the motorcycle QTE in Chapter 2 at the crash site, as well as enemies in the Tricell Camp (if you look at the E308 and Captivate08 trailer).
Right before you trigger that motorcycle QTE, if you stand at the gate and not go in, you can actually shoot explosive barrels they left in at that area. I don't get why they didn't have a fight there. I think they should have had it like Public Assembly where you had to survive for a set amount of time and then Delta team would come in for back up just when you were getting overwhelmed. They could have even had the motorcycle guys as bosses you could dodge. The QTE was just straight up lazy.

RyuHayate

endlessflood said:
I haven't picked RE5 up yet, but that's the same impression that I get from the screenshots and videos I've seen. Why the heck did they feel the need to dye her hair and give her a radically different hairstyle? Consistency in character design is a good thing.

Read the in-game files about her and you'll discover why she became a blonde.

Neiteio

RyuHayate said:
Read the in-game files about her and you'll discover why she became a blonde.
You don't even need to do that. You can read the computer in-game on the platform where you start 5-2. It'll explain the blonde hair and slight whitening of the skin is a pigmentation abnormality resulting from the experiments she underwent. And I feel there's some implicit symbolism there; when you see a blonde Jill standing next to a blonde Wesker, the hair's a visual shortcut that shows how she's changed, and by whom.

And wow, sure are a lot of Jill avatars now! And about just as many blondes as brunettes. Maybe RE6 will reconcile the two by making her brunette with blonde highlights? ;P

the_zombie_luke said:
Right before you trigger that motorcycle QTE, if you stand at the gate and not go in, you can actually shoot explosive barrels they left in at that area. I don't get why they didn't have a fight there. I think they should have had it like Public Assembly where you had to survive for a set amount of time and then Delta team would come in for back up just when you were getting overwhelmed. They could have even had the motorcycle guys as bosses you could dodge. The QTE was just straight up lazy.
Yeah, that QTE is one of the best in the series. I <3 it. They probably scrapped an end battle because 2-1 was already a bit too long. In co-op, 2-1 can take awhile: cargo maze/tripwire traps -> Big Man/Adjule fight -> bridge fight -> tunnel fight x2 -> harbor fight -> helicopter backup -> slums -> shanty town w/ Chainsaw Majini. Plenty of fighting; anymore and it we'd have complaints of tedium. :D

Attack You said:
Oh, have we gotten to people complaining about being attacked by other players in Slayers? I had to hear an earful of waaaaah the other day, gunning someone down in Slayers. "WHAT THE HELL?! THAT BITCH SHOT ME?!" Next time, don't stand around in a crowd of Majini like a complete dork. I use Zero Suit Samus almost exclusively, and love to lob grenades from afar. I've had players chase me around for over a minute in Slayers, trying to kill me, all the while passing by several Majini and bosses worth far more points for far less effort. In some of those cases, I still end up winning because they become more obsessed with killing me than scoring points. It is to laugh.

I'm having an easier time filling Versus lobbies on PSN than XBL. Maybe because I tend to avoid Ranked match, and they don't even give you that option on PSN. I've gotten favorable responses for cycling through each map in Slayers then Survivors when I host, too. Try it, folks. It's fun.
Yeah, it's so much fun. I'm like you, killing human players when the opportunity presents itself and being hunted because of it. I described a page or two ago an incident in Slayers on Ship Deck where the other three players all worked together to stop me, they were so annoyed. Nearly cost them the match. And btw, I love how the guy named "Attack You" attacks other players. :lol

Blueblur1 said:
That's *every* RE ending in a nutshell.
cvxfreak said:
I still liked the ending. :(
If anything, the whole end boss fight was essentially the ending, IMO. I think it would have dragged on if it were more dramatic.
Rez said:
I have no complaints about the ending. It was of a comparable quality to all the other cutscenes in the game.
I agree with all three of you. The ending cutscene was short and sweet, but the real payoff to the game was the epic, epic, EPIC back-to-back-to-back showdowns with Wesker. The game was truly Chris' story (fitting, since they default you to him in single-player), and they really gave him quite the confrontation with his nemesis. That being said, I still would've liked Chris and Sheva making a Jill sandwich. :D

Hackable Hot Coffee mod?

On another note, it's amazing how far the character models have come since RE4. The in-game pics of Battlesuit Jill I posted at the bottom of the last page (complete with ass-ooglin' goodness) look more natural than the touched-up promo models for the last game, imo. Sometimes when I watch my brother play Versus, I realize the gameplay almost looks like a CGI movie at points. It's the way the camera pans out gracefully when you leap an edge or dive through a window, or the slight motion blur to a Haymaker or Backhand, or how seamlessly your character turns when landing a melee QTE on someone behind him, or the great plumes of earth thrust into the air by an explosion, or the air rippling from the heat of a burning oil spill. All the small touches add up on top of the broad strokes for one stunner of a game. An option to remove what little HUD is there would've been nice. Sure it'd be harder to play, but imagine how cinematic the fan videos would look!

darkwings

Banned
I am definitely burned out on RE5, and I will probably shelf it for a while now. Looking back at RE4, I never really got tired of it.

I guess the freshness of RE4 made it easier to play over and over again.

LiK

Neiteio said:
random quote

HAHA, you're new avatar makes me laugh. i love it cuz Jill never had her zippers opened up so low and all i keep thinking is "why is Nina in my game?" :lol love it

Small question - i've replayed the game a few times now, but is there any way to replay it starting from scratch? As in an empty inventory, but without losing my upgraded weapons forever? Just feels a bit dirty destroying the Majini with fully upgraded weapons and mountains of ammo and grenades.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
_Alkaline_ said:
Small question - i've replayed the game a few times now, but is there any way to replay it starting from scratch? As in an empty inventory? Just feels a bit dirty destroying the Majini with fully upgraded weapons and mountains of ammo and grenades.

Only way to do that is to sign in with a different gamertag/profile

LiK

_Alkaline_ said:
Small question - i've replayed the game a few times now, but is there any way to replay it starting from scratch? As in an empty inventory, but without losing my upgraded weapons forever? Just feels a bit dirty destroying the Majini with fully upgraded weapons and mountains of ammo and grenades.

sure, clear out your inventory and buy a new gun. :)

fallengorn said:
Try restarting the game or ps3. It sounds stupid, but when I have connection issues it works for me.

Well when my buddy gave up trying to get a game going for the night I tried out a join game and got right into one. So it must be his ps3? Hes connected to the ps network though? Im not sure, maybe we will try it out again tonight and we can finally get a co op game goin

Nemesis_

I think Neiteio has mentioned Jill's Blondeness and Symbolism way too many times now. :lol BUt still good and a very valid point. Shows how some fans are just rabid when it comes to their favourite character. =P

I need to update my avatar.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
TrAcEr_x90 said:
Well when my buddy gave up trying to get a game going for the night I tried out a join game and got right into one. So it must be his ps3? Hes connected to the ps network though? Im not sure, maybe we will try it out again tonight and we can finally get a co op game goin

I've noticed rare connection issues with XBox Live. Signing out and signing back in usually works.

dgenx

Random fanboy stuff:

Wesker's Tiger Uppercut is awesome, you lose Sagat!

LiK

Nemesis556 said:
I think Neiteio has mentioned Jill's Blondeness and Symbolism way too many times now. :lol BUt still good and a very valid point. Shows how some fans are just rabid when it comes to their favourite character. =P

I need to update my avatar.

*thumbs up to new avatar* :)

andthebeatgoeson

Nemesis556 said:
*returns gesture*

All the women of RE5 are beautiful. bar Jill.

Oh yeah I went there.
Your avatar chick has some big tits. It's titty fever in RE5. No wonder all the Africans are in a rage. My penis just exploded at the head too.

LiK

skinnyrattler said:
Your avatar chick has some big tits. It's titty fever in RE5. No wonder all the Africans are in a rage. My penis just exploded at the head too.

the best thing is you can rotate that model for a better view ;D

todahawk

Nemesis556 said:
*returns gesture*

All the women of RE5 are beautiful. bar Jill.

Oh yeah I went there.

Jill's not beautiful, she's HOT. The way the battlesuit hugs her ass and the gruntin' and stuff in
the 2 on 2 fight with wesker

not saying Excella isn't smoking in her own right, she gives a nice Monica Belluci vibe.

:lol

Top Bottom