• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
brandonh83 said:
It's one of my favorite Wii games. It's great if you ask me. There's tons to do, it's very fun, controls are cool once you get the hang of it, tons to see and unlock, pretty good weapons upgrade systems, awesome remixes of memorable music... so yeah. It's worth it.
OK then, I suppose I will try to dig it up. It's a shame the price is still so high. I had read that the game went on to sell 1 million copies. For such a successful game, I'm shocked to find that it is so incredibly rare. Out of roughly 50 Gamestop stores, only 1 of them has a new copy while only an additional 4 or 5 have used copies. The price is still $50 for a new copy too! No other major stores (such as Best Buy) even carry the game. :\

Aggelos said:
the second one is simply the best.
I hope Biohazard 5 has similar boss music

It's interesting that they made a point to stress that they had 15 minutes of full symphonic Orchestra recorded for this. Did the games before this only use in house recordings (and samples)?

Oh am I the only one who LOVES RE3's music. I think the opening cutscene and music are just awesome. RE music can be a bit hard to love outside of gameplay, since a lot of it is atmospheric, versus action based like MGS (which I love), but there are always some gems.

Aggelos

cvxfreak said:
The game was announced before I entered university.

And I graduated before it came out. :lol :lol :lol

:lol Good story for you, but bad story for me.
The game was announced when I was still doing good in my Uni.
But afterthat, I faced a mental breakdown and evernsince I linger out my life.....I still have not graduated my Uni and have such a long way to go......I vegetate....
Nevermind.....

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
OK then, I suppose I will try to dig it up. It's a shame the price is still so high. I had read that the game went on to sell 1 million copies. For such a successful game, I'm shocked to find that it is so incredibly rare. Out of roughly 50 Gamestop stores, only 1 of them has a new copy while only an additional 4 or 5 have used copies. The price is still $50 for a new copy too! No other major stores (such as Best Buy) even carry the game. :\

You can blame Nintendo for lack of a unified discount pricing plan in the U.S. Had there been such a line-up (Player's Choice), REUC (and RE4 Wii) most certainly would have been on it already.

I like the game as well, but I can easily imagine you disliking it on its technical merits.

EDIT: Why not ordered from Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P297F2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

cvxfreak said:
The game was announced before I entered university.

And I graduated before it came out. :lol :lol :lol

Pffh, I graduated High School, College, Grad School, Got Married, and entered Law School all in the development time of Duke Nukem Forever (and there is not one bit of joke in that statement). :D

cvxfreak said:
You can blame Nintendo for lack of a unified discount pricing plan in the U.S. Had there been such a line-up (Player's Choice), REUC (and RE4 Wii) most certainly would have been on it already.

I like the game as well, but I can easily imagine you disliking it on its technical merits.

EDIT: Why not ordered from Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P297F2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So that's the reason. It drives me nuts, that the price for UC is still the same pretty much of when it was released. I would pretty much have had both of them if I could get them for the Players Choice type lineup with reduced pricing. Those things are great way to get an impulse buy. I mean those titles both sold at least a million units right (at least RE4).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nah. I go into Wii games expecting shit visuals, so if the game looks even remotely decent, I'll be able to put up with it.

I'll probably just order it from Amazon, though. It has, however, highlighted just how annoying it can be to find good Wii titles on store shelves. While browsing for the game today it became clear that most stores stock only Nintendo published titles and shovel ware trash.

Those things are great way to get an impulse buy.
I actually picked up RE4 Wii on Amazon for $10 during the holiday rush. Unfortunately, I actually don't like the Wii controls. :p It's nice to have a version that plays in fullscreen without touching my TV controls, however, though the image quality is really no better than blowing up the GC version to full screen (which surprised me).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RE fans who watched the stream:

No spoilers, but were you satisfied?

Tuesday can't come soon enough.

Rez said:

Yes, it is great. I mean I liked the demo and change of style and settings, but I feel it's a top notch looking title and well worth the money. I sort of wish that I had pre-ordered the Asia version, it even has a flipable cover that goes from RE to BH and it's the same as the US version and I might have it by this weekend already.

Oh Tuesday don't you mean Friday? I mean unless you know a local pffh street dates fuck that shit, type store.

Gomu Gomu

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Pffh, I graduated High School, College, Grad School, Got Married, and entered Law School all in the development time of Duke Nukem Forever (and there is not one bit of joke in that statement). :D

I know this is off topic. But WHAT THE HELL?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Rez said:

It's like RE4 but with a better plot and much cooler enemies/bosses.

Vyse The Legend said:
Is HUNK one of the unlockable Mercs characters?
No

Vyse The Legend said:
Is HUNK one of the unlockable Mercs characters?

I can't say for sure, but I've read that he is, but that's just guess work based on posts I've seen, no caps or anything. It would be odd if they left him out, I mean he was in RE4 and has a fairly decent fan following.

Rez said:

I watched bits and peices like I said. But I was definetly satisfied from what I saw. Though I always closed the window out when a cutscene started. Thus why I only saw certain bits of gameplay. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, it is great. I mean I liked the demo and change of style and settings, but I feel it's a top notch looking title and well worth the money. I sort of wish that I had pre-ordered the Asia version, it even has a flipable cover that goes from RE to BH and it's the same as the US version and I might have it by this weekend already.

Oh Tuesday don't you mean Friday? I mean unless you know a local pffh street dates fuck that shit, type store.
Let's just say that Australian retailers will be getting the game in stock, but not necessarily for sale, on Tuesday. ;)

Thanks for the impressions guys. Hype +++++
:)

TheCardPlayer

I can't say for sure, but I've read that he is, but that's just guess work based on posts I've seen, no caps or anything. It would be odd if they left him out, I mean he was in RE4 and has a fairly decent fan following.

All the characters have been revealed already

Chris
RE1 Chris
Safari Chris
Sheva
Sheva with a business attire
Tribal Sheva complete with warpaint and bow and arrows
Wesker
Wesker with trenchcoat
Jill
Boss fight Jill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/xenox/1236173733054.jpg

Erebus

Aggelos said:
:lol Good story for you, but bad story for me.
The game was announced when I was still doing good in my Uni.
But afterthat, I faced a mental breakdown and evernsince I linger out my life.....I still have not graduated my Uni and have such a long way to go......I vegetate....
Nevermind.....

^I can tell you're Greek without even looking at your name or profile.:lol

TheCardPlayer

Vyse The Legend said:
FAIL. Worst news ever. My hype meter literally just flat-lined.
I know, he would make the game perfect. Breaking some majinis neck and shit with a kickass techno song from PN03. FUUUUCKKKK!

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
Nah. I go into Wii games expecting shit visuals, so if the game looks even remotely decent, I'll be able to put up with it.

I'll probably just order it from Amazon, though. It has, however, highlighted just how annoying it can be to find good Wii titles on store shelves. While browsing for the game today it became clear that most stores stock only Nintendo published titles and shovel ware trash.

I wasn't really referring to the visuals, which are probably some of its better aspects (easily in the top margin for Wii visuals - it's fairly close to RE4, despite its highly inconsistent look). I'm just concerned you may hate how the game was designed on the technical scale as well as its production values. It's a feeling you might understand when you actually play.

That said, it's still good and a decent way to catch up on your RE, particularly since Chris and Jill are the defacto stars of UC.

TheCardPlayer

Vyse The Legend said:
I will pay no less than 8,000 Microsoft Space Bucks for playable
HUNK

You hear me, Capcom!
You know when Capcom talked about DLC....Yeah.

Vyse The Legend said:
I will pay no less than 8,000 Microsoft Space Bucks for playable
HUNK

You hear me, Capcom!

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the plan. I'd find it odd that Capcom would go all batshit crazy for DLC for SFIV and NOT for RE5.

After watching the stream I'm picking this up day one.

I read that mercs mode doesn't have online co op, is this true? That would be a remarkably stupid mistake.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Majini versus Humans for DLC. BELIEVE

Okay, probably not.

TheCardPlayer

cvxfreak said:
Question:
Does Safari Chris = beginning of the game Chris?
Yeah

The Wise Old Man said:
I just can't take it, I have to know. To anyone who has watched the footage:
is there a castle in the game?
No

ezekial45

Banned
Quick question about the unlockable
Mercenaries mode. Does it give you the option to use a SINGLE character (you alone vs mobs) or is it only you AND another AI partner/player.

EDIT: Also, do the different characters have different load outs? Or Is it just a cosmetic change.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Borman said:
For those who are interested, I have the first 10 minutes of the game on my site, along with 720P screenshots.

BEWARE, SPOILERS!!!

http://superiorversion.com/?p=330
thanks but no thanks. I'm done with videos and screenshots until launch.

The last vids I'll probably watch are the Gametrailers final Bonus Round and the final Kijuju video.

A semi-media blackout made games like MGS4, Gears 2 & KZ2 all the sweeter.

BamYouHaveAids said:
After watching the stream I'm picking this up day one.

I read that mercs mode doesn't have online co op, is this true? That would be a remarkably stupid mistake.

No, it is not. Online Co-op is available along with single, system link, or split screen.

TheCardPlayer

ezekial45 said:
Quick question about the unlockable
Mercenaries mode. Does it give you the option to use a SINGLE character (you alone vs mobs) or is it only you AND another AI partner/player.

EDIT: Also, do the different characters have different load outs? Or Is it just a cosmetic change.
The characters have differents equips yes. Possibly skills too. You can use one character too.

The Wise Old Man said:
Well fuck. What about
a mansion?
Is there one of those? Maybe just
a shack with some candles in it?
No playable mansion like area.

Aggelos

DarkUSS said:
^I can tell you're Greek without even looking at your name or profile.:lol

Βλαστήμα τα αρχηγέ μου...
Χριστέ μου πότε θα πάρουμε πτυχίο?....
φυτοζωώ και βιώνω την χαμέρπεια....

It's interesting that they made a point to stress that they had 15 minutes of full symphonic Orchestra recorded for this. Did the games before this only use in house recordings (and samples)?

Oh am I the only one who LOVES RE3's music. I think the opening cutscene and music are just awesome. RE music can be a bit hard to love outside of gameplay, since a lot of it is atmospheric, versus action based like MGS (which I love), but there are always some gems
It's music from a special album called Biohazard Orchestra Album.
These orchestral versions were not featured on a game.
http://vgmdb.net/album/1226

Ya the opening music of biohazard 3 was great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qmzlfI65QQ&fmt=18

Aggelos said:
It's music from a special album called Biohazard Orchestra Album.
These orchestral versions were not featured on a game.
http://vgmdb.net/album/1226

Ya the opening music of biohazard 3 was great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qmzlfI65QQ&fmt=18

Yeah, I have a copy of both, but I meant in terms of the previous games, have none of them used a full symphony orchestra at all (even in part)?

Strangely, I am a bit more fond of the original version, in all fairness it is hard to transfer a synth track to live orchestra and it's still a good job.

Ridley327

Rez said:

Coming from a gigantic RE4 fan, I'm really uncertain about it all. There's really no doubt that there's a lot in it that's going end up satisfying hardcore fans of the entire series, but I think that they spread their resources a bit thin to be really effective. I'd say that it lacks a lot of personality and maybe even identity. For people interested in the story (my apologies, first off), there's a lot of stuff that ends very anti-climatically (one character in particular). Even the story on its own is really dull; outside of some AWESOME one-liners that come with Leon's stamp of approval, it's very dry and kind of weightless. Everything about the ending is bad; I'm not going to be surprised to see a backlash against the game just because of everything that transpires in the last sub-chapter. I really can't believe they decided to end it like this.

As for the guys who are in it for the action....I'm just not seeing anything that gives RE4 a run for its money. The bosses, in particular, are a huge disappointment. A lot of them suffer from being either these (non-specific spoilers)
Lost Planet-esque giant encounters where there's not much else to do other than "run here, exploit obvious weakness, rinse, repeat" and/or take it out with a turret or really vaguely detailed objectives that make the fight seemingly un-fun as a result.
There are a couple of exceptions (one fanboy drooling boss fight in particular) and I'm reserving final judgment due to the difficulty apparently being on Easy, but I didn't see much of anything that really got me going.

That being said,
Mercenaries looks bigger and badder than ever and I imagine that's going to end up getting a lot of playtime,
plus it looks like there's a lot of unlockables. It's definitely not a bad game by any stretch, but I've definitely tempered my expectations to not expect anything as flat-out amazing as RE4.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Has anyone played the final PS3 version yet?

Are the smoke, heat effects there now?
Basically, is it on par now?

TheCardPlayer

Ridley327 said:
Coming from a gigantic RE4 fan, I'm really uncertain about it all. There's really no doubt that there's a lot in it that's going end up satisfying hardcore fans of the entire series, but I think that they spread their resources a bit thin to be really effective. I'd say that it lacks a lot of personality and maybe even identity. For people interested in the story (my apologies, first off), there's a lot of stuff that ends very anti-climatically (one character in particular). Even the story on its own is really dull; outside of some AWESOME one-liners that come with Leon's stamp of approval, it's very dry and kind of weightless. Everything about the ending is bad; I'm not going to be surprised to see a backlash against the game just because of everything that transpires in the last sub-chapter. I really can't believe they decided to end it like this.

As for the guys who are in it for the action....I'm just not seeing anything that gives RE4 a run for its money. The bosses, in particular, are a huge disappointment. A lot of them suffer from being either these (non-specific spoilers)
Lost Planet-esque giant encounters where there's not much else to do other than "run here, exploit obvious weakness, rinse, repeat" and/or take it out with a turret or really vaguely detailed objectives that make the fight seemingly un-fun as a result.
There are a couple of exceptions (one fanboy drooling boss fight in particular) and I'm reserving final judgment due to the difficulty apparently being on Easy, but I didn't see much of anything that really got me going.

That being said,
Mercenaries looks bigger and badder than ever and I imagine that's going to end up getting a lot of playtime,
plus it looks like there's a lot of unlockables. It's definitely not a bad game by any stretch, but I've definitely tempered my expectations to not expect anything as flat-out amazing as RE4.
Basically take everything this guy said and expect the contrary. The game is so shit hot that even that even the hardcore fanboys who hated RE4 are all over the game's dick right now on the RE fansites even IGN.

And I personally think RE4 is the best game I have ever played. And from what I've seen in the stream RE5 pisses all over it.

Neiteio

TheCardPlayer said:
Basically take everything this guy said and expect the contrary. The game is so shit hot that even that even the hardcore fanboys who hated RE4 are all over the game's dick right now on the RE fansites even IGN.

And I personally think RE4 is the best game I have ever played. And from what I've seen in the stream RE5 pisses all over it.
Wait, have you both played the final game? Or at least both watched the stream in its entirety? I'd like to hear more clarification from Ridley327 about why the ending's bad. With spoiler tags, of course.

And good lord, I found a pic of the Mercenaries title screen with all 10 characters unlocked. I saved it and want to post it here sooo bad... Despite the roster's hidden characters suffering from Smash Bros. Melee syndrome, it has me frothing at the mouth, which is good since I easily would've paid full price for that mode alone in RE4.

One thing of concern, however, is the placement of the timer, an opague countdown clock just north of the middle of the screen. I was watching a vid of it on YouTube and it was distracting! Maybe you don't notice it when you play, though. I thought the bright green health circle would be distracting and when I actually played the game it wasn't, so...

Top Bottom