• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Nemesis_

linsivvi said:
It's supposed to be out tomorrow. It's just that nobody respects street dates. :D
Or maybe the game doesn't have a street date? (Just like SF4 didn't?)

A lot of people need to read up on what a street date is and realise that not every game has one.

cvxfreak, thanks for the confirmation - getting one of those babies in with my e-Capcom edition. :D Though it baffles me as to why the 360 got a deluxe version in Japan - just a push to get more sales for that platform?

cvxfreak

PSGames said:
Anyone have the sales figures for the RE series in Japan?

http://www.kyoto.zaq.ne.jp/dkbkq103/yso/maintitle5/capcom.htm

If you add them all up, Biohazard, Biohazard 2, Biohazard 3 and Biohazard 4 sold over 1 Million across their respective versions (Biohazard 1-3 with their initial version alone).

I don't think Biohazard 5 can sell 1 Million in Japan between the 360 and PS3 alone. It's going to need a Wii version in order for that to happen.

Yama

DarkUSS said:
duckroll, did you spot any improvements on the frame rate or is it just like the demo?
Yeah, this is what I'd like to know as well.

I can play the PS3 version early, or wait a few more days for the 360. I'm getting a bunch of SKU's, but that's not the issue. After waiting all these years, I want my first experience to be best. I'll probably hold out for the 360 release. :(

duckroll

DarkUSS said:
duckroll, did you spot any improvements on the frame rate or is it just like the demo?

Seems to be a lot like the demo. I can't tell for sure since I didn't play the PS3 demo a ton (I only downloaded it to check out the performance since I already played the 360 demo quite a bit). The framerate probably won't be as smooth as the 360 version, and there's a mandatory install. There's still loading after installation, but it's pretty quick. I do notice some aliasing here and there too, it's more obvious in certain scenes and less in others. Overall, I personally don't think it's a huge deal. I got the PS3 version because I have two controllers for it, and there's free online, so that's how I'm going to be playing the co-op both online and offline. I think most people will be satisfied with either version though, but if you have Gold, and really want to go with the best version in terms of framerate and AA, you're probably better off with the 360 version.

linsivvi

Nemesis556 said:
Or maybe the game doesn't have a street date? (Just like SF4 didn't?)

It does have a street date. Capcom put up ads on various magazines saying the Asian version comes out on the 5th. There's a reason why the patch didn't work right away (it does now).

Not sure about SF4 since I wasn't following that game, but I'm sure a major release like that should have an "official" date attached to it. It's just that once the retailers received copies, they'd just start selling them, or else the competition would get the majority of the sales.

Tenbatsu

Defuser said:
Why is Singapore MDA is able to approve Re5 so fast whereas it's taking more than a week to approve Demon Soul?Are they so weaksauce in gaming?
The reason is really simple. For GTA4 then, the sticker on each copy of the game, the distributor got to pay MDA a dollar. Same goes for RE5. Demon Soul, as its a niche game, distributor don't see the need to pay that kind of money so they rather wait.

Moral of the story? Money Money Money.

duckroll

Tenbatsu said:
The reason is really simple. For GTA4 then, the sticker on each copy of the game, the distributor got to pay MDA a dollar. Same goes for RE5. Demon Soul, as its a niche game, distributor don't see the need to pay that kind of money so they rather wait.

Erm, waiting won't change anything. You have to pay for the sticker if it's M18, just like you have to pay for every single certification sticker for any video product sold on the shelf. If it's not M18, there's no sticker charge for Age Advisery games.

What's more likely is that Demon's Soul was never submitted by any distributor in the first place, being a niche game and all. So it's at the back of the queue now. Big games get submitted MONTHS in advance for ratings. Bionic Commando for 360 and PS3 is already approved for release, whenever Capcom wants to release it.

Tenbatsu

duckroll said:
Erm, waiting won't change anything. You have to pay for the sticker if it's M18, just like you have to pay for every single certification sticker for any video product sold on the shelf. If it's not M18, there's no sticker charge for Age Advisery games.
Or maybe its $1.50 if you wanna release it earlier?:lol I remember my ex boss was complaining bout it when he distributed GTA4.

Yap you are right.

duckroll

Tenbatsu said:
Or maybe its $1.50 if you wanna release it earlier?:lol I remember my ex boss was complaining bout it when he distributed GTA4.

Yap you are right.

No, I think what you're referring to is paying for the actual submission. I'm not entirely sure how they charge for videogame submissions, but for films paying for each sticker is a seperate cost from the actual initial submission. If you submit it yourself as the first party to do so, you get to bring in the film the minute it's approved, along with the number of stickers you need. But paying for the submission means you pay for them to review the film, and the cost is calculated by running time. This can be really expensive if you're submitting a boxset for a series and you're only going to bring in say 10 copies (since the cost of the submission will have to be divided by 10 and added to your cost for the price of the product).

This is why retailers often wait for someone else to submit something first, and once it's approved they'll piggybag and just pay for the certification stickers. But in the case of Demon's Soul, there's definitely an Asian distributor, so it looks like they were just slow to submit the English version. Sucks for everyone here though.

Christopher

People are playing Co-Op right on thier inital play? I dunno I'd think I would wanna do the solo play first, take it all in, and then do co-op, but to each their own.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
duckroll said:
Seems to be a lot like the demo. I can't tell for sure since I didn't play the PS3 demo a ton (I only downloaded it to check out the performance since I already played the 360 demo quite a bit). The framerate probably won't be as smooth as the 360 version, and there's a mandatory install. There's still loading after installation, but it's pretty quick. I do notice some aliasing here and there too, it's more obvious in certain scenes and less in others. Overall, I personally don't think it's a huge deal. I got the PS3 version because I have two controllers for it, and there's free online, so that's how I'm going to be playing the co-op both online and offline. I think most people will be satisfied with either version though, but if you have Gold, and really want to go with the best version in terms of framerate and AA, you're probably better off with the 360 version.
So, basically, the PS3 version regularly drops below 30 fps then? Is that about right? The framerate was extremely unstable in the PS3 demo but very solid on 360.

Does the framerate drop constantly in the final game?

Erebus

duckroll said:

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. If you notice anything else as you progress through the game, please let us know.

consoul

Play-Asia finally opened orders for the e-Capcom edition!
Just managed to cancel my Asian LE order in time to upgrade.

If anyone else is interested, get over there pronto.

Nemesis_

consoul said:
Play-Asia finally opened orders for the e-Capcom edition!
Just managed to cancel my Asian LE order in time to upgrade.

If anyone else is interested, get over there pronto.
Yeah. My Asian LEs were shipped before I could cancel them. Expect to see one for sale soon =P

I was basically ordering both just in case the e-capcom orders opened up, then I would cancel the one that I got as an e-capcom version.

Play Asia beat me to the punch and shipped everything at once =(

Wark said:
Hmm . . .
Damn, I was hoping that mercenaries would have online co-op so I could play with my friends and other GAF members. :(

No, that's not the case.
I have Capcom PR materials that confirm co-op and not just split screen

USD

I finally beat Shanty Town with knifes only. :lol

Basic knife strategy:

To get into knife range without getting hit, try to draw out enemy attacks. Feint by running towards enemies (just to the limit of their attack range), then quickly backing up. This will usually draw out an attack. Immediately approach the enemy, and get to knifing. Keep your eye out for melee chances as you knife the enemies, ready to hit X when the opportunity arises.

Strategy for the chainsaw boss with knifes only:

Run all the way back to the beginning of the stage to the first building with the window. This will be your hold-out point so you can kill the enemies that spawn with the chainsaw guy. It will take a while, but they'll eventually chase you after. When the chainsaw guy approaches, jump out the window. Since he can't come through the window, after approaching it he will immediately turn around and run around the side alley to reach you. After he turns around, even if you jump back in the window immediately after him, he will still continue to the side alley first, running to the other side of the window, then turning around and coming back into the building. Use this to your advantage, killing the other enemies as they come, jumping through the window when the chainsaw guy approaches. Rinse and repeat. You can peer through some of the small windows in the building to see if the other enemies are still coming.

After all the other enemies are dead, run back through the stage to the bus. See the ramp at the front of the bus, which leads straight to a jump down point? This is where you'll be doing your knifing. Lead him to the bus ,then jump off the bus. As he jumps down to get you, knife his legs several times, then climb back onto the bus as he climbs down. Turn around and start knifing him as he climbs back onto the bus. Jump off the bus as he climbs on, and repeat from the beginning. If he's on top the bus and you're off it, any chainsaw attacks he does will always miss, so use that extra time to knife him. Be careful though, when climbing on the bus. If you're slow in climbing back on, and he stops as if he's about to swing, back up just in case he swings.

It's a slow process, but he will go down eventually. It probably took 5 or so minutes of knifing to kill the chainsaw guy.

duckroll

tetsuoxb said:
Any censoring, i.e. headshots?

I'm pretty sure RE5 is pre-"censored" worldwide. I've compared the US and JP demos, as well as several gameplay movies, and I'm convinced there simply isn't a RE4 level of violence in RE5. You won't get brutal decapitations in the game unless there's plagas coming out of the head. Even if it's not a plagas enemy that comes out, there's some flowery thing that comes out of the decapitated head before the enemy falls dead. The chainsaw decapitation on the player is done with the camera panning down to the legs instead of showing the head falling backwards. There are various other acts of violence in cutscenes that are directed in a way where you'll never see the full extent of the violence, etc. The game is still very violent, but I'm pretty sure it's been toned down so the entire world gets the same version. Possibly also because the game is a lot more realistic this time and Capcom didn't want to deal with bullshit.

dark10x said:
So, basically, the PS3 version regularly drops below 30 fps then? Is that about right? The framerate was extremely unstable in the PS3 demo but very solid on 360.

Does the framerate drop constantly in the final game?

I haven't noticed it drop significantly. Seems relatively smooth to me, but then again, I've been playing a lot of KZ2 MP before this so I my perception of framerate might be a little broken right now! :lol

Nemesis_

duckroll said:
I'm pretty sure RE5 is pre-"censored" worldwide. I've compared the US and JP demos, as well as several gameplay movies, and I'm convinced there simply isn't a RE4 level of violence in RE5. You won't get brutal decapitations in the game unless there's plagas coming out of the head. Even if it's not a plagas enemy that comes out, there's some flowery thing that comes out of the decapitated head before the enemy falls dead. The chainsaw decapitation on the player is done with the camera panning down to the legs instead of showing the head falling backwards. There are various other acts of violence in cutscenes that are directed in a way where you'll never see the full extent of the violence, etc. The game is still very violent, but I'm pretty sure it's been toned down so the entire world gets the same version. Possibly also because the game is a lot more realistic this time and Capcom didn't want to deal with bullshit.
A bit disappointing if true. I just finished Code Veronica and the lack of decapitations or, well, gore factor was really distracting at times (especially since effects and animations would play out but the head was still intact).

Remarkable that they didnt have concerns with doing such things in RE4 but they're now much more careful, if true.

I blame my country!

Who are people's pic Richard Waugh (RE0-4, CV) VS D.C Douglas (RE5 and I think UC)?
As I said, just finished Code Veronica, and I think that Wesker sounds a bit, well, weird. I think I'm just used to hearing DC Douglas because of the recency effect - and it's just felt more right with me now. I like his performance in RE5 much better than UC though, sounds amazingly better.

Tenbatsu said:
Sigh I kind of miss the
Typewriter...and the magic box
:(

It's been mentioned in official interviews so I don't thing there is any need to block it.

I don't, but then again, coming from PC gaming, I always HATED that you could only save in certain areas and it wouldn't always save all the info up to that point (on when you entered a room). I love MGS, but that always drove me nuts!

rumsey

LaneDS said:
Guess I'm going to keep periodically checking this thread until someone has a concrete answer about this. Planned on picking it up for the 360 due to the framerate in the demo being better, but this would certainly change things considerably. At the same time I agree it sounds too dumb to be true. I'd also like to find out if system link is indeed an option if at all possible.

I will be also. I made the post and I still haven't heard and verification or otherwise. I agree with Baloonatic however that it wouldn't make any sense to make it an unlockable if it wasn't on the PS3 version, but I also don't see any point in making it an unlockable at all. Why the hell would you have to UNLOCK split screen? Online coop is there out of the box.

edit: to answer your other question, system link is available out of the xbox with the 360 as well. wtf? split screen missing in action?

duckroll

I'm not sure if the confusion is because of the way the menus are set up. Just to clear things up, here's how splitscreen co-op works on the PS3 version:

It's NOT like the demo where you select a mode and play. You simply play normally as the first player, and at any time if you activate a second controller and press START on the controller, the game will jump back into the item management screen where both players can set up stuff as they wish, before going back into the last checkpoint with splitscreen co-op. There should be no menu option that says LOCAL CO-OP, like the demo did. It's seamless in the final game.

rumsey

duckroll said:
I'm not sure if the confusion is because of the way the menus are set up. Just to clear things up, here's how splitscreen co-op works on the PS3 version:

It's NOT like the demo where you select a mode and play. You simply play normally as the first player, and at any time if you activate a second controller and press START on the controller, the game will jump back into the item management screen where both players can set up stuff as they wish, before going back into the last checkpoint with splitscreen co-op. There should be no menu option that says LOCAL CO-OP, like the demo did. It's seamless in the final game.

Thank you times 1 million. I will let my friend know today, I know they already tried having to people sign in and out and in and out, etc. If this is how it is on the PS3, 360 must be the same.

duckroll

rumsey said:
Thank you times 1 million. I will let my friend know today, I know they already tried having to people sign in and out and in and out, etc. If this is how it is on the PS3, 360 must be the same.

No prob. I really doubt Capcom would remove a feature like that, it's just dumb. I had to dig a bit in the manual to find out how splitscreen co-op worked too, so I'll imagine most people coming from the demo would be confused as well.

duckroll said:
No prob. I really doubt Capcom would remove a feature like that, it's just dumb. I had to dig a bit in the manual to find out how splitscreen co-op worked too, so I'll imagine most people coming from the demo would be confused as well.

Very good to know thanks duckroll!

bigswords

Damn wished there was a actual comparsion video of the full game.

Fuck it I'm getting it tmr, but not sure which version to grab....

rumsey

bigswords said:
Damn wished there was a actual comparsion video of the full game.

Fuck it I'm getting it tmr, but not sure which version to grab....

I can't speak for what may be your deciding factor, but... I always get my multiplatform games on my 360 - thats where all my friends are. (plus party chat, no crappy ds3 deadzone issues, etc)
Actually I've played with so few friends in ps3 games, I don't even own a BT mic for the system :-x

Has anyone confirmed if the Japanese PS3 version support full English menus and dialogue? Duckroll you have the JP version?

If it does I will pick it up immediately.

duckroll

PuppetMaster said:
Has anyone confirmed if the Japanese PS3 version support full English menus and dialogue? Duckroll you have the JP version?

If it does I will pick it up immediately.

I have the Asian version, no idea about the JP version.

DEskofier

Neo Member
The Japan release of Resident Evil 5 is here! The embargo for screenshots has fallen, so I proudly present our Resident Evil 5 gallery with over 70 new, exclusive screenshots:

http://www.cynamite.de/_misc/galleries/detail.cfm?pk=2051&opv=gal

395x224.jpg

395x224.jpg

395x224.jpg

Have fun!

rumsey

DEskofier said:
The Japan release of Resident Evil 5 is here! The embargo for screenshots has fallen, so I proudly present our Resident Evil 5 gallery with over 70 new, exclusive screenshots:
Have fun!

If the embargo is over, the SS can't be that exclusive.

Top Bottom