• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

The music in that one boss fight I succumbed to was better than RE4. The whole game. Yep that's how awesome the music was. No, I'm kidding in all seriousness, but that music was omfg wow, if all the boss encounters have music that great it'll at least have the best boss music in game history.

Yeah even better than One-Winged Angel.

I was originally going to be upset if there
wasn't some kind of Tyrant battle, but the boss I saw took place in a huge lab very similar to the one at the end of RE1 and the boss was batshit crazy looking and I got that same feel that I would have had it been a Tyrant so I'm all good
. And the music was fuckton awesome.

~Kinggi~

Banned
brandonh83 said:
The music in that one boss fight I succumbed to was better than RE4. The whole game. Yep that's how awesome the music was. No, I'm kidding in all seriousness, but that music was omfg wow, if all the boss encounters have music that great it'll at least have the best boss music in game history.

Yeah even better than One-Winged Angel.
that sounds like blasphemy

Ridley327

TheCardPlayer said:
Basically take everything this guy said and expect the contrary. The game is so shit hot that even that even the hardcore fanboys who hated RE4 are all over the game's dick right now on the RE fansites even IGN.

And I personally think RE4 is the best game I have ever played. And from what I've seen in the stream RE5 pisses all over it.

That seems completely impartial! :D

Hyperbole aside, I can kind of see where your coming from. It's definitely much more Resident Evil-y than RE4 was, but I still feel that's largely due to the game going through a bit that plays out like a fanboy checklist rather than feeling fleshed out and expanded upon from prior entries into the series. For me, personally, I think that there needed to be more than just a Frakensteining of all of these elements on top of RE4's gameplay. It's not to say that this is bad, and there's nothing in the feed that begins to suggest that RE5 is bad at all, but after the wait and coming off of such a milestone for the industry even, it feels very underwhelming and unadventurous. It even borders on being very predictable. If I could sum it all up, there simply aren't any Giant Stone Robot moments.

Neiteio said:
Wait, have you both played the final game? Or at least both watched the stream in its entirety? I'd like to hear more clarification from Ridley327 about why the ending's bad. With spoiler tags, of course.

First, I want to say that I want to avoid an entirely block of black text because it's something that I feel can be conveyed without having to dip into spoiler territory that often.

That being said, there's a lot of elements to it that sour the experience. The
fight with Wesker himself
is very poorly explained; you really don't have any idea of what you're actually supposed to be doing. There's a couple of QTE-specific bits, but the game doesn't actually tell you when you're supposed to be doing these, which ends up with one of the characters dying. And this will happen a lot because if the boss gets within 15 feet of you, you're dead. It even continues on when you actually get to fight the boss proper, as there's still a lot of uncertainty as to what you're supposed to be doing in order to cause damage. The instant deaths, thankfully, drop in quantity, though the one move that works as an instant death move is rather odd; the best way to describe is that it's a
meat tornado
. It's a lot of very unnecessary trial-and-error for what's supposed to be the climax of not only the game,
but for the series itself.

Story-wise, I can't imagine anyone being satisfied with it. After the coup-de-grace to the boss, the game ends with one of the lamest finales that makes RE4's finale seem masterful in comparison.
After the helicopter comes to rescue Chris and Sheva, Wesker rises from being submerged in lava (...) and latches onto the helicopter. Chris and Sheva are then pointed to a pair of rocket launchers and, in a QTE, fire upon Wesker, killing him for good. After that, they ride off into the sunrise and Chris says about three lines and CREDITS.
Considering what it's supposed to be representing, it's just a tremendously anti-climatic moment. I really don't have too much invested into the overall story, but to have it wrap up with that? I just don't see a lot of people coming to the defense of it.

Davey Cakes

I still can't believe there are people out there who were willing to watch the live-feed. Not just a snippet here and there, but the whole thing.

I'm not going anywhere near something like that. I'm dying to play the game, but not so much that I have to prep myself by watching two other people play it.

Blueblur1

Rash said:
I still can't believe there are people out there who were willing to watch the live-feed. Not just a snippet here and there, but the whole thing.

I'm not going anywhere near something like that. I'm dying to play the game, but not so much that I have to prep myself by watching two other people play it.
Ditto.

Davey Cakes

Ridley327 said:
Story-wise, I can't imagine anyone being satisfied with it. After the coup-de-grace to the boss, the game ends with one of the lamest finales that makes RE4's finale seem masterful in comparison.
Are you merely trying to de-hype people with this, or are you serious?

I had no issues with RE4's ending at all. I think it ended well. But for RE5's to make it seem masterful in comparison? I almost can't believe that.

tass0

Banned
Ridley327 said:
That seems completely impartial! :D

Hyperbole aside, I can kind of see where your coming from. It's definitely much more Resident Evil-y than RE4 was, but I still feel that's largely due to the game going through a bit that plays out like a fanboy checklist rather than feeling fleshed out and expanded upon from prior entries into the series. For me, personally, I think that there needed to be more than just a Frakensteining of all of these elements on top of RE4's gameplay. It's not to say that this is bad, and there's nothing in the feed that begins to suggest that RE5 is bad at all, but after the wait and coming off of such a milestone for the industry even, it feels very underwhelming and unadventurous. It even borders on being very predictable. If I could sum it all up, there simply aren't any Giant Stone Robot moments.

First, I want to say that I want to avoid an entirely block of black text because it's something that I feel can be conveyed without having to dip into spoiler territory that often.

That being said, there's a lot of elements to it that sour the experience. The
fight with Wesker himself
is very poorly explained; you really don't have any idea of what you're actually supposed to be doing. There's a couple of QTE-specific bits, but the game doesn't actually tell you when you're supposed to be doing these, which ends up with one of the characters dying. And this will happen a lot because if the boss gets within 15 feet of you, you're dead. It even continues on when you actually get to fight the boss proper, as there's still a lot of uncertainty as to what you're supposed to be doing in order to cause damage. The instant deaths, thankfully, drop in quantity, though the one move that works as an instant death move is rather odd; the best way to describe is that it's a
meat tornado
. It's a lot of very unnecessary trial-and-error for what's supposed to be the climax of not only the game,
but for the series itself.

After the helicopter comes to rescue Chris and Sheva, Wesker rises from being submerged in lava (...) and latches onto the helicopter. Chris and Sheva are then pointed to a pair of rocket launchers and, in a QTE, fire upon Wesker, killing him for good. After that, they ride off into the sunrise and Chris says about three lines and CREDITS.
Considering what it's supposed to be representing, it's just a tremendously anti-climatic moment. I really don't have too much invested into the overall story, but to have it wrap up with that? I just don't see a lot of people coming to the defense of it.

Ugh, I wish I didn't read this. Sounds like a really
shit
ending, something that would happen in
bizzaro RE
and this is the end of RE, in RE6 all characters we knew don't exist anymore.. (

K' Dash

Did somebody go to their local retailer and was given the fuckin game today???!!!

I FUCKING DID!!!

What should I do?? my hands are shaking as a write this!, please tell me what to do, should I install it now and play it or should I wait till friday next week???

Halp me decide GAF!

~Kinggi~

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Here's my Biohazard SKU Checklist for all Japanese/Korean/Asian SKUs. Still missing quite a few. :lol
HOLY FUCKING CRAP

K' Dash said:
Did somebody go to their local retailer and was given the fuckin game today???!!!

I FUCKING DID!!!

What should I do?? my hands are shaking as a write this!, please tell me what to do, should I install it now and play it or should I wait till friday next week???

Halp me decide GAF!
Kill yourself, but send me the game first.

tass0 said:
Ugh, I wish I didn't read this. Sounds like a really
shit
ending, something that would happen in
bizzaro RE
and this is the end of RE, in RE6 all characters we knew don't exist anymore.. (

We don't really know that though, do we? Reboot does not necessarily equal starting over from scratch.

K' Dash said:

I FUCKING DID!!!

Halp me decide GAF!

uhm... you have to ask? you got the game early. go play it.

Ridley327

Rash said:
Are you merely trying to de-hype people with this, or are you serious?

I had no issues with RE4's ending at all. I think it ended well. But for RE5's to make it seem masterful in comparison? I almost can't believe that.

I didn't have an issue with RE4's ending, either, but I do know that a lot of people hated it because of how little it contributed to the overall canon. That being said, RE5's ending really is that bad.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Please guys help me deciding which version to buy. Are both versions graphically on par? Is there any word about exclusive DLC? What about trophys?

Erebus

kamorra said:
Please guys help me deciding which version to buy. Are both versions graphically on par? Is there any word about exclusive DLC? What about trophys?

Graphics are a notch better on 360 (more stable fps, sharper textures) and Capcom hasn't announced anything about exclusive DLC. PS3 version has trophy support.

To help you decide ask yourself the following questions:

-Which controller do you prefer?
-What system do most of your friends have?
-Do you have a gold membership?

aggelos said:
Βλαστήμα τα αρχηγέ μου...
Χριστέ μου πότε θα πάρουμε πτυχίο?....
φυτοζωώ και βιώνω την χαμέρπεια....

Χαχα άστα να πάνε! Κι εγώ έτσι με βλέπω στο μέλλον άμα συνεχίσω να αφήνω χρωστούμενα μαθήματα.

~Kinggi~

Banned
kamorra said:
The 360 is the obvious choice.

The only thing that might change that decision is if you have a bunch of friends on PSN you really wanted to play coop with.

MrDaravon

Wait, this comes out on the 13th in the US still right? That's Friday, why do people keep saying they can't wait for Tuesday, did it change?

tass0

Banned
After watching the ending
Resident Evil has officially died for me. They picked the worst possibly ending. I can't believe how much they fucked up the best franchise in the world, I hope they release a public statement and tell us that RE4 and RE5 aren't canon. R.I.P. Wesker
< Spoilers

I watched most of the live-stream, and while the game looks fun, I think Resident Evil 4 is quite a bit better. Even it's story is more engaging. I feel that RE5 ruined the story for the franchise, especially
how they revealed Wesker as a surviving... Wesker Child? What the hell?

I'm still buying it, but from what I've seen, I'd put REmake, RE2, and RE4 above it. RE5 just seemed uninspired, but at least the co-op looks solid, and the unlockables are good.

tass0 said:
After watching the ending
Resident Evil has officially died for me. They picked the worst possibly ending. I can't believe how much they fucked up the best franchise in the world, I hope they release a public statement and tell us that RE4 and RE5 aren't canon. R.I.P. Wesker
< Spoilers
I missed the ending since the livestream stopped during the final battle. Do you have a link to a video?

EDIT: I'm so sorry guys!

tass0

Banned
KeeSomething said:
I watched most of the live-stream, and while the game looks fun, I think Resident Evil 4 is quite a bit better. Even it's story is more engaging. I feel that RE5 ruined the story for the franchise, especially
how they revealed Wesker as a surviving... Wesker Child? What the hell?

I'm still buying it, but from what I've seen, I'd put REmake, RE2, and RE4 above it. RE5 just seemed uninspired, but at least the co-op looks solid, and the unlockables are good.

I missed the ending since the livestream stopped during the final battle. Do you have a link to a video?[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlNLhiY74C0
warning: the ending to RE5, do not watch

I don't need the ending to be hardcore amazing because
it's still not the end of the story

Granted I'm speaking without the knowledge of HOW it ends, I'm just saying, I think people expect this one to be the dead end of the RE story and I doubt it will be, despite what may be cleared up. All the RE endings in the series so far have sucked and were short, generally ending with the mutated central villain exploding or something and the camera resting on someone as they say "it's time to take care of Umbrella!"

So yeah, despite how RE5 ends, I don't really care as long as the game is great because there's more coming. They've already confirmed RE6, and that it'll be a reboot, but it probably won't be this brand new story with brand new characters. RE5 isn't the end, so it shouldn't be given Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter level finality.

Either way I'm used to very short, punctuated RE endings. I've been playing since 1996, I know what to expect from RE game endings. This will be no different. In fact, a long, conclusive RE ending might feel out of place by this point. :lol

Acid08

Banned
So what is the deal with
Jill
in this game? I'm not planning on playing it, I would just like to know as a big fan of the series up until this game.

Erebus

Acid08 said:
So what is the deal with
Jill
in this game? I'm not planning on playing it, I would just like to know as a big fan of the series up until this game.

How's that? Why don't you like RE5?

~Kinggi~

Banned
tass0 said:

I missed the ending since the livestream stopped during the final battle. Do you have a link to a video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlNLhiY74C0
warning: the ending to RE5, do not watch

I find it hilarious you people are already rating the game in relation to the other based off of watching a low res stream of someone else playing it.

hilarious

Acid08

Banned
DarkUSS said:
How's that? Why don't you like RE5?
Literally nothing I've seen about this game touched my inner RE fanboy. The demo just confirmed that. This game just doesn't look or feel like RE. I might play it when the price drops but no, I'm not paying for this at launch.

I'm actually fine with the ending and pretty much everything else (and I have seen it), but then again I've always viewed the RE series as homages to B Action/Horror movies (google Bruno Mattei and Vincent Dawn), with a touch of the James Bond series. I think RE5 is perfectly fitting with it. In fact it is even more epic than any RE game that has come before, just like MGS4 was compared to the rest of the series.

Then again I own Street Fighter on blu-ray :D

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Just got my deluxe edition of Bio5 in this afternoon! Also got cvxfreak's deluxe edition too. :D Will post pictures when I get home!

cvxfreak

Oichi said:
Just got my deluxe edition of Bio5 in this afternoon! Also got cvxfreak's deluxe edition too. :D Will post pictures when I get home!

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg

EDIT: My friend received my PS3 console in Japan! :D:D:D:D

I'm leaving it in Japan since I move there on the 20th.

RE5 packaging goodness... yum.

~Kinggi~

Banned
cvxfreak said:
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg

EDIT: My friend received my PS3 console in Japan! :D:D:D:D

I'm leaving it in Japan since I move there on the 20th.

RE5 packaging goodness... yum.
You're moving to Japan? Why?

~Kinggi~ said:
You're going to school there? What are you studying?

Cleary, he is going for his Masters in Unlocking. :D Sorry I couldn't help it.

cvxfreak said:
International Relations.

Maybe I should write a thesis on racism in Japanese products like RE5. :lol

Bastard, you prempted my witty reply! Seriously, congrats, I did Poli Sci with a focus in IR for my MA, interesting stuff. Granted, I'm now going for a JD with a IP and copyright focus, so I YMMV. :)

~Kinggi~

Banned
cvxfreak said:
International Relations.

Maybe I should write a thesis on racism in Japanese products like RE5. :lol
Well hopefully you meet a cute Japanese girl that's into RE as much as you.

funny thing about saying that is they exist over there.

Davey Cakes

~Kinggi~ said:
I find it hilarious you people are already rating the game in relation to the other based off of watching a low res stream of someone else playing it.

hilarious
I'm not going to say that they're wrong or anything. I mean, they saw what happened. They know the entire story of the game now.

That said, playing is MUCH different than watching. I think all games improve in some way when you're actually interacting with them. Does this affect the impact of the story? Probably not. But, it does impact the value of the game in general.

cvxfreak

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Cleary, he is going for his Masters in Unlocking. :D Sorry I couldn't help it.

Bastard, you prempted my witty reply! Seriously, congrats, I did Poli Sci with a focus in IR for my MA, interesting stuff. Granted, I'm now going for a JD with a IP and copyright focus, so I YMMV. :)

That's impressive. Good luck! :)

~Kinggi~ said:
Well hopefully you meet a cute Japanese girl that's into RE as much as you.

funny thing about saying that is they exist over there.

20ii0sw.jpg

:D

Top Bottom