• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Diablohead said:
I like RE0 but I wish it never happend, Rebecca is scared shitless in RE1 yet at the end of zero she has already killed several bosses and zombies, so why hide in a medical room and spray chris in the face with a first aid spray :lol
I'd like to see you not having a nervous breakdown after fighting hundreds of hellish atrocities created from humans and having your partner die after you temporarily managed to save him.

She is the most authentic character in the series, while most of the others are just stereotypical Americans acting as plot devices.

j0f95i.png

cvxfreak

Diablohead said:
I like RE0 but I wish it never happend, Rebecca is scared shitless in RE1 yet at the end of zero she has already killed several bosses and zombies, so why hide in a medical room and spray chris in the face with a first aid spray :lol

The part never happened in the REmake, though.

PBalfredo

I'm having a lot of fun running through VS with my friend, but is anyone else here getting annoyed that Slayers tend to degenerate into an unofficial Survivors match? Everyone just goes after other players all the time. The only exception being when one of the bosses show up. I wish there was a mode that turned off the PvP damage so Slayers could play like a real competitive Mercenaries mode. It would be a lot of fun to have a mode where the focus was to try to steal the other team's kills to keep your combo up while breaking theirs, rather than contently disengaging the Majini to trade shots with a Hydra totting STARS Wesker.

I like fighting other players and all, but Survivor mode should stick to Survivor mode.

Neiteio

PBalfredo said:
I'm having a lot of fun running through VS with my friend, but is anyone else here getting annoyed that Slayers tend to degenerate into an unofficial Survivors match? Everyone just goes after other players all the time. The only exception being when one of the bosses show up. I wish there was a mode that turned off the PvP damage so Slayers could play like a real competitive Mercenaries mode. It would be a lot of fun to have a mode where the focus was to try to steal the other team's kills to keep your combo up while breaking theirs, rather than contently disengaging the Majini to trade shots with a Hydra totting STARS Wesker.

I like fighting other players and all, but Survivor mode should stick to Survivor mode.
I agree, but I'd recommend picking Japanese servers for Slayers, as it seems to mitigate the pseudo-Survivor problem.

And the Japanese are so polite! Haven't had one call me a dick-sucking pansy yet.

Sooooo my friend and I can not get a co op game going at all by doing a invite from the friends list. Always get a connection error, but if we do a game launch from home it works fine? were in the same state too so i dont know whats up with the connection.

Neiteio

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Sooooo my friend and I can not get a co op game going at all by doing a invite from the friends list. Always get a connection error, but if we do a game launch from home it works fine? were in the same state too so i dont know whats up with the connection.
154hc93.jpg

Dave1988

Neiteio said:
I agree, but I'd recommend picking Japanese servers for Slayers, as it seems to mitigate the pseudo-Survivor problem.

And the Japanese are so polite! Haven't had one call me a dick-sucking pansy yet.

Maybe beacuse:

a) you don't understand Japanese.
b) they don't have headsets.

;p

Hey guys some of us from our RE site Biohaze got to interview Capcom PR rep Chris Kramer about RE5 and the series in general in an hour long podcast. It turned out pretty cool, remember he is just a PR guy so its not like he could announce anything but we got some info and insight into whats going on with Capcom and RE. He talks about Wesker being alive or dead, if there are plans for more RE5 DLC, talks about the direction of the series and much more (including Dino Crisis talk).

Here is the link http://www.biohaze.com/podcasts.htm

It was our first podcast so go easy on us. I am dvader on the podcast, Yama is there as well.

EDIT: Direct source if you want to download http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/4/19/2410242/Podcast_1_-_Chris_Kramer.mp3

Count me as impressed by RE5. I played the demo on 360, couldn't stand the awkward controls, and decided to pass on buying it, even though it's the sequel to my favorite game of the last generation. However, I rented it over Gamefly on PS3, and the controls click with me much better on the Dual Shock 3 (first time that's ever happened).

RE5 is just as linear and adventure-lite as RE4, but it's not the gaming dinosaur that I thought it was from playing the demo. Also, keeping the difficulty at medium or easy will help to make the controls more bearable.

Sectus

Neiteio said:
Oh god, I never thought of that...

;___;

*runs away like a girly-man*
From my experience, Japanese gamers are surprisingly poilte. I got to know a few after playing Lost Planet Colonies and there's one small group of people who would host servers and play with strangers and end every match by saying "Thanks for playing, please play again!". Compare that to your typical xbox live match with american players where the voice chat consists primarily of "Fag." and "Fag!"

Neiteio

Sectus said:
From my experience, Japanese gamers are surprisingly poilte. I got to know a few after playing Lost Planet Colonies and there's one small group of people who would host servers and play with strangers and end every match by saying "Thanks for playing, please play again!". Compare that to your typical xbox live match with american players where the voice chat consists primarily of "Fag." and "Fag!"
I can't wait until I get my headset working. I'll play a game with some homophobes and moan suggestively whenever they shoot me, telling them I like it, I like it hard.

It's fun messing with insecure people.

GuessWho

so I just got the game with a friend and were playing coop which seems pretty good so far, but we put it on normal and got to 2 chapter without any problems. Just wondering is Veteran the way to go or is that too hard? I am not new to Resident evil franchise, but I'm just wondering if it might be too hard for my friend.
Thx

mittelos

MiamiWesker said:
Hey guys some of us from our RE site Biohaze got to interview Capcom PR rep Chris Kramer about RE5 and the series in general in an hour long podcast. It turned out pretty cool, remember he is just a PR guy so its not like he could announce anything but we got some info and insight into whats going on with Capcom and RE. He talks about Wesker being alive or dead, if there are plans for more RE5 DLC, talks about the direction of the series and much more (including Dino Crisis talk).

It was our first podcast so go easy on us. I am dvader on the podcast, Yama is there as well.

EDIT: Direct source if you want to download http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/4/19/2410242/Podcast_1_-_Chris_Kramer.mp3
Awesome. Downloading now.

Insaniac

Wow, I managed 113k (personal best) on Public Assembly Solo with Chris S.T.A.R.S. by ditching my pistol and going all out magnum/grenade launcher.. Pretty fun too, using random grenade ammo (hoarding explosive and nitrogen though) and then unloading my magnomnomnom on the executioner. Managed a 70 combo.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Impressive Insaniac!

billy.sea

Banned
MiamiWesker said:

Awesome! Will listen~

Insaniac

Hey sectus or whoever knows how, I saw in your videos that you highlight a healing object in your inventory and use it and I dont see an equip or "use" menu pop up, you just use it instantly. How do you do that?

Neiteio

Insaniac said:
Wow, I managed 113k (personal best) on Public Assembly Solo with Chris S.T.A.R.S. by ditching my pistol and going all out magnum/grenade launcher.. Pretty fun too, using random grenade ammo (hoarding explosive and nitrogen though) and then unloading my magnomnomnom on the executioner. Managed a 70 combo.
Wow, I'll have to try that. Awesome work. :D

ZeoVGM

Banned
Neiteio said:
I can't wait until I get my headset working. I'll play a game with some homophobes and moan suggestively whenever they shoot me, telling them I like it, I like it hard.

It's fun messing with insecure people.

To be a little fair, most people who call each other fags on Xbox Live aren't actually homophobes. A lot of guys just say it to each other aas a more vulgar form of "you suck". Not "you're a homosexual and I hate you for it".

Though either way, yes, it's pretty stupid.

On another note, what is the best place to collect some moneys in the single player campaign?

Sectus

Insaniac said:
Hey sectus or whoever knows how, I saw in your videos that you highlight a healing object in your inventory and use it and I dont see an equip or "use" menu pop up, you just use it instantly. How do you do that?
Press the aim button to immediately equip anything from the inventory.

LordK

Sectus said:

By far the Japanese are a lot better to play with than Americans (randoms). They're far more respectful. Hell, when you start a game in mercs, a lot of them use the thanks shortcut immediately. If you save them, they say thanks. If you heal them, they say thanks. They watch your back too. They'll go out of their way to heal you and give you ammo if you idiotically wasted it all. Quite a few of the Japanese who don't even know English that well will message you in poor English saying thanks and what not. That scores big with me. To return the favor, I put some thank you message through an English to Japanese translator and probably made myself look like a moron.

On the other hand, tons of the American games I've joined simply lack any kind of respect. The thanks that the Japanese use are replaced with, "come on!" "come on!" "come on!" calling you like you're a fucking dog. They rarely watch your back when you're watching their's. They never get near you when they're healing... even if they're like 10 steps away.

That's not to say I haven't had good games with American players. There were 3 in particular that were very respectful and even got "good game" messages afterwards. By no means am I saying that this is the case for everyone. It's simply my observations from playing with randoms from both Japan and the US. Maybe I just have bad luck. I dunno.

Dyno

I'm still loving the game after three playthroughs. Finished solo Veteran and will give Professional a try. I've only dabbled with Mercenaries but eventually I will give it more time. I'm just too focused on fully upgrading all the weapons.

The Hydra is a fantastic shotgun and it's become my favorite weapon! The pose Chris pulls to use it is badass as well.

Anyone playing with the AK-74 or the SIG submachine gun? Are they worth it compared to the H&K?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Good golly, only 3 emblems to go! Still loving this game, not sure if I should go for the full 1000 points, Mercenaries kicks my lame little ass :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
McBradders said:
Good golly, only 3 emblems to go! Still loving this game, not sure if I should go for the full 1000 points, Mercenaries kicks my lame little ass :(

Are you talking about Achievement points? You don't need to play Mercenaries at all to get 1000 Achievement points.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
GuardianE said:
Are you talking about Achievement points? You don't need to play Mercenaries at all to get 1000 Achievement points.

o_O

Just checked, and you don't! Yaaaaay!

Full 1k incoming then, methinks :D

Having so much fucking fun.

Any tips for the hardest run through?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
How does teh local co-op work on a PS3? Is it splitscreen? vertical or horizontal? how does the framerate hold up during some of the more action-packed scenes?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
McBradders said:
o_O

Just checked, and you don't! Yaaaaay!

Full 1k incoming then, methinks :D

Having so much fucking fun.

Any tips for the hardest run through?

Infinite weapons are obviously very helpful (infinite rocket launcher+magnum probably being the most useful) and playing it co-op will be infinitely easier than playing with the AI, provided that you're playing with someone halfway competent.

If you just want to beat it as quickly as possible, there are a lot of parts where you can shave off time and just run through fights.

DenogginizerOS said:
How does teh local co-op work on a PS3? Is it splitscreen? vertical or horizontal? how does the framerate hold up during some of the more action-packed scenes?

You can download the demo to get an idea. Local co-op is in the demo. It's splitscreen/horizontal, but offset, without skewing the aspect ratio. Basically, you're looking at two mini widescreen images, off center, if you play local co-op.

From what I've read, the framerate issues with the PS3 are blown out of proportion. Plenty of people have had no issues with it, but others say it's a big problem. You can get an idea of this through the demo as well.

OriginX

So totally didn't know this, but you can use the d-pad in the 360 version to quickly switch weapons. Although I have no idea how to assign a certain weapon to a certain direction, I learn something new about this game each day.:lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
OriginX said:
So totally didn't know this, but you can use the d-pad in the 360 version to quickly switch weapons. Although I have no idea how to assign a certain weapon to a certain direction, I learn something new about this game each day.:lol
The middle boxes on the top, bottom, left, and right correspond to the D-Pad directions. Not knowing this is like people not knowing you could run in RE4. :lol

Returners

RoboPlato said:
The middle boxes on the top, bottom, left, and right correspond to the D-Pad directions. Not knowing this is like people not knowing you could run in RE4. :lol

Well to be fair, only if you read the docs lying around you would know this. The run button is on screen at 1-1, so you couldn't have missed it.

Nemesis_

cvxfreak said:
It's too bad the 360 pad is too inaccurate to make the feature perfect.

The DS3 on the other hand is aces.
How could you possibly have problems in selecting weapons with the D-Pad? I've never fucked up a weapon swap on my pad. Maybe your D-Pad is dodgy? >_>

Pojo

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
How could you possibly have problems in selecting weapons with the D-Pad? I've never fucked up a weapon swap on my pad. Maybe your D-Pad is dodgy? >_>
No, it's bad. Didn't MS fix the d-pad on some of the newer controllers, specifically the RE5 red controllers?

I played co-op in Gears and RE5 on the 360 and it was awful. Don't know why they even bother putting a D-pad on the thing.

todahawk

god i just cannot put re5 down. playing through on veteran now and having a ton of fun while closing in on platinum.

finally getting really comfortable with mercs and most of the maps, hit a personal best with tribal sheva on PA for 121K+ the other night. nitro rounds + melee FTW.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
OriginX said:
What is needed to unlock the S.T.A.R.S Chris/Tribal Sheva Outfits for story mode?

Finding and shooting all the BSAA Emblems will do it. Then purchasing them from Bonus Features. Then setting it in Special Settings. STARS Chris requires less BSAA Emblems, but not by a whole lot.

Insaniac

GuardianE said:
Finding and shooting all the BSAA Emblems will do it. Then purchasing them from Bonus Features. Then setting it in Special Settings. STARS Chris requires less BSAA Emblems, but not by a whole lot.

25 for STARS chris and 30 for Tribal Sheva

Pojo said:
I played co-op in Gears and RE5 on the 360 and it was awful. Don't know why they even bother putting a D-pad on the thing.
Huh? Up, Down, Left, and Right are perfectly fine on 360 controller. It's the diagonals the pad has trouble detecting. Games like Gears and RE5 play to the d-pads strengths, thankfully. Oblivion is an example of a game where they expect you to select items using diagonals and it's a disaster.

OriginX

Insaniac said:
25 for STARS chris and 30 for Tribal Sheva

i kinda figured, but the thing is, the option isn't available in my special features to purchase---meaning im still seeing ?????? where the option to buy this should be. Anything i need to do to just get it to show up or does it just become available once I get all the emblems i need?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
a Master Ninja said:
Huh? Up, Down, Left, and Right are perfectly fine on 360 controller. It's the diagonals the pad has trouble detecting. Games like Gears and RE5 play to the d-pads strengths, thankfully. Oblivion is an example of a game where they expect you to select items using diagonals and it's a disaster.

I agree, but there have been times when playing RE5 that I've switched to the wrong weapon, I press up and it registered right... or it didn't register the up at all. The 360 D-pad is really just crap all around, but at least they kept its implementation into the control scheme to a minimum.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
OriginX said:
i kinda figured, but the thing is, the option isn't available in my special features to purchase---meaning im still seeing ?????? where the option to buy this should be. Anything i need to do to just get it to show up or does it just become available once I get all the emblems i need?

It shows up with the Bonus Features after obtaining the Emblems. The costumes are actually free, if I remember correctly, but you have to go into Bonus Features to "purchase" them. Afterward, change the costume in Special Settings.

Sectus

Same thing here, there's been plenty of times I've tried to equip a weapon on right or left on the d-pad, only to hit up instead and equip my flash grenade. The d-pad on the 360 is just a joke.

Neiteio, all the pics of the beautifull female models you posted are dead :(

Could you please reupload those. Yes I know I should have save them.

Top Bottom