• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

MrOctober

Banned
Just started my Pro run today. I purposely put the game down, other then Mercs which i play almost nightly with friends, so that it would be semi-fresh. I don't understand why they even give you life, just make it 1 hit kills and call it a day. Stop lying about it. I had full health and both vests on and a bottle to the head killed me and the dying meter went away faster than Sheva can get there. So just call it what it is and say you have to have a perfect run.

Returners

MrOctober said:
Just started my Pro run today. I purposely put the game down, other then Mercs which i play almost nightly with friends, so that it would be semi-fresh. I don't understand why they even give you life, just make it 1 hit kills and call it a day. Stop lying about it. I had full health and both vests on and a bottle to the head killed me and the dying meter went away faster than Sheva can get there. So just call it what it is and say you have to have a perfect run.

Yeah, thats what it seemed like to me. Everytime I got hit i just restarted to the last checkpoint. I don't freaking bother with the A.I. trying to save me.

Also, I tried the S&W500, though its freaking powerful, the recoil takes too long for me :D... I'll settle for the 29 for now.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Plowed through a bunch of levels in Pro tonite on solo. I went from 3-3, and beat the Jill battle in 5-3.

Dang....5-3 was a major PITA on pro....Sheva wouldnt heal me when i would get hit and be dying....AND I WAS STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO HER!!! :lol

Anyhow, almost done with pro, and I'll have my first platinum!!! :D
Seems like it took a while but everyone is experiencing the same thing I did lol. Yeah it really sucks and if i hadn't been so damn good at RE4 style gameplay already I would have pulled my hair out from her lack of cooperation. Just wait until you get to 6-1/2.

Neiteio

Relaxed Muscle said:
and it's the only character with the dash move, with can give you and advantage respecting other character in both attack and bail out manuvers.
Midnight has the dash move too.

[/nitpick]

USD

Sectus said:
I wouldn't say Wesker STARS is overpowered, but he's definitely overused. Probably 80% of people I meet online in slayer mode play as Wesker STARS.
The big difference between S.T.A.R.S. Wesker and the rest is that he essentially has no flaws. Other characters can match or (just barely) exceed in some categories, but most of them also have some noticeable flaws.

I wouldn't necessarily say he's overpowered, be he's easily the best in Slayers. The only thing to exploit is the typical player's lack of skill and overconfidence when playing as him. That and the use of Type D controls.

USD

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
:lol

On pro he's a mega bastard!!!
He's really not that hard. All of his attacks are can be dodged or (easily) stopped, save the boulder attack. Since he usually doesn't do the boulder attack more than twice (one of which you can easily stop with the explosive barrel), the only question really is can you get your QTEs down.

Sectus

USD said:
The big difference between S.T.A.R.S. Wesker and the rest is that he essentially has no flaws. Other characters can match or (just barely) exceed in some categories, but most of them also have some noticeable flaws.

I wouldn't necessarily say he's overpowered, be he's easily the best in Slayers. The only thing to exploit is the typical player's lack of skill and overconfidence when playing as him. That and the use of Type D controls.
I don't really agree with that. If you compare characters directly, Wesker STARS has some rather dangerous competitiion. Sheva tribal only needs to hit once with the nitrogen round and then Wesker goes down (nitrogen round + 2 arrow headshots (or 3 normal arrow shots) and he goes into dying state). Chris stars and Wesker midnight has more powerful magnums than Wesker stars, and when compared to Wesker's hydra the magnums kill faster (if the player hits that is) and they have much better range.

Wesker STARS also loses one small advantage when playing in versus mode. In mercenaries he can discard the pistol in order to get much more shotgun ammo, but that tactic doesn't work in versus unless all other players have no pistols (which is extremely unlikely).

The only noticable advantage both Wesker has is the dash, but I don't think that alone makes Wesker stars better than all other characters for slayer mode.

I will say that Wesker STARS is probably best for a newbie player though, since his hydra works well against anything and it's so easy to use.

Raxus

Just got a 100+ combo going the other day on mercs (duo).

As for versus, I enjoy it but the hierarchy gets moved around a little. Jill (BSAA) isn't as good for slayers as she is for mercs because flash grenades become obsolete. Midnight Wesker still manages to stay on top albeit the proxy mines can be a chore to handle in survivor. Chris (STARS) is probably the best slayer character. Electric grenade launcher, a very good magnum, and an alright machine gun. He is even better than STARS Wesker for all around play. As far as slayers is concerned I think the STARS team is the way to go since it is easier to keep up a combo and fight off other players who look at you wrong, plus you can handle bosses which is critical. For survivors I perfer Sheva (BSAA) and Battle suit Jill for the incendiary grenades. Chris (STARS) is probably really good too but his gun is horrid for getting head shots.

If there were ever anything official RE5 competition going on I would have to say I would ban both Weskers if only for their dash ability.

LiK

-Winnie- said:
And when he's done with that he'll smash your face and step on you while his Majini buddies hurl arrows and explosives at you. D:

monsters express love in many different ways :p

USD

Sectus said:
I don't really agree with that. If you compare characters directly, Wesker STARS has some rather dangerous competitiion. Sheva tribal only needs to hit once with the nitrogen round and then Wesker goes down (nitrogen round + 2 arrow headshots (or 3 normal arrow shots) and he goes into dying state). Chris stars and Wesker midnight has more powerful magnums than Wesker stars, and when compared to Wesker's hydra the magnums kill faster (if the player hits that is) and they have much better range.

Wesker STARS also loses one small advantage when playing in versus mode. In mercenaries he can discard the pistol in order to get much more shotgun ammo, but that tactic doesn't work in versus unless all other players have no pistols (which is extremely unlikely).

The only noticable advantage both Wesker has is the dash, but I don't think that alone makes Wesker stars better than all other characters for slayer mode.

I will say that Wesker STARS is probably best for a newbie player though, since his hydra works well against anything and it's so easy to use.
S.T.A.R.S. Wesker's magnum is (slightly) stronger than Chris's in Mercs/Versus. While a fully upgraded M29 is stronger, the Mercs/Versus M29 isn't at its max. There's mostly no difference when killing players, but there is a 1-2 shot difference when killing minibosses. As for the M500, Midnight Wesker's magnum is great for minibosses, but when it comes to killing players, its rate of fire and recovery time are too slow to be as effective as the S.T.A.R.S. characters' respective magnums.

With Tribal Sheva, you need direct contact (at least from my experience) to freeze enemies, and two headshots to down a full health enemy, and this limits the range that you can effectively use the combo to quickly kill players. You can kill them in three shots, but the time needed to do so let's the other player recover. Still a great character, though, I'd probably rank her third.

Chris S.T.A.R.S. is the best at getting quick and certain player kills. The electric (or nitrogren/flame) round -> 2 magnum shots to the gut is certain dying state and unavoidable. Electric rounds also don't need direct contact to connect.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
-Winnie- said:
Yeah, I was playing on Pro with a friend before and the fucker just doesn't go down.
Got any tips? :lol

Well i went through all of pro playing solo, and overall i would say the actual "difficulty" of the enemies were no different than playing on veteran. The issue your going to have hands down is 'one hit, your in danger mode syndrome'. I cant even tell you how many times those PITA dogs killed me because of this...

I can't take credit for this tip (Lik told me...thanks bud!!), but if you're going to tackle Ndesu on pro playing solo, be Sheva, and let the AI be Chris. The Chris AI is so much better than Shevas and will focus its attack on Ndesu pretty much the whole time.

The only thing you'll really need to get down PERFECTLY is the QTE's to dodge when they come up, and watch those F'N Maijini that pop up either on the left or in the far back, as they will throw those daggers, etc at you with almost perfect accuracy. The one on the left window should be your priority as that one takes off the most damage when you're hit with his dynamite. Another thing that helped me....if you can, save shooting the exploding barrels until you're farther in the battle. When Ndesu walks over to pick up that big boulder, shoot the barrel and it will stop him from grabbing it allowing you to focus more shots on hitting those little things that are popped out of his body.

To summarize... be PERFECT with your QTE's, focus on those majini that pop up (especially the lone one on the left), and when you get the opportunity to attack the big thing that pops out of his head just lay into him, and Chris will too. I think in my battle when i finally killed him that thing had to pop out of his head like 3 times. Overall, that battle took me like 12 tries....:lol :lol You feel like such a beast though when you finally kill him!!! Hope this helps!

Returners

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Well i went through all of pro playing solo, and overall i would say the actual "difficulty" of the enemies were no different than playing on veteran. The issue your going to have hands down is 'one hit, your in danger mode syndrome'. I cant even tell you how many times those PITA dogs killed me because of this...

Oh those fuckers... I always have the shotty equiped just in case.

USD

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
The dog attacks (save the mutated form ones) aren't instant kill if you have on the melee vest. Always wear it in any chapter with dogs.

After playing Veteran and Professional a few times back-to-back, I did notice the enemies are slightly more aggressive (more run-stop-attacks, charging attacks, thrown weapons, etc.) in Pro, but since it's already at a high level in Veteran is hard to notice the difference.

LiK

USD said:
The dog attacks (save the mutated form ones) aren't instant kill if you have on the melee vest. Always wear it in any chapter with dogs.

After playing Veteran and Professional a few times back-to-back, I did notice the enemies are slightly more aggressive (more run-stop-attacks, charging attacks, thrown weapons, etc.) in Pro, but since it's already at a high level in Veteran is hard to notice the difference.

yea, they are very similar in difficulty. i think if people were able to do the Vet runs without any major problems, the Pro runs aren't that bad at all. and when the dogs jumped on me in Pro, they didn't take off much life for me either and i had the Melee vest on as well. i was able to go through Pro without carrying any healing items, i had Sheva carry all the first aid sprays. hehe

Aumann

a friend and I have noticed while playing professional that its way faster to resucitate your partner than to heal them when theyre in dying status. sometimes we would get the herb curing animation while the other was laying on the ground dead :lol we dont even carry herbs since theyre worthless

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
-Winnie- said:
Yeah, I was playing on Pro with a friend before and the fucker just doesn't go down.
Got any tips? :lol
I S'd him my first try on pro. That level was like a vacation in between a job that I sorta liked on pro difficulty. If you know where to shoot him then he can't even touch you. Depending on which attack he uses shoot him in either the head or foot. Just make sure to keep taking out the snipers and firebomber on the left and right and it should be a piece of cake. I can honestly say that this is the only level on pro where Sheva didn't screw up. :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
isamu said:
Shaheed79 I hate to call bullshit on ya bro.... but C'mon seriously. You're obviously bullshitting as everyone knows it is LITERALLY impossible to go through the game solo on Pro without infinite ammo.

It just....can't be done. So at least admit you're using infinite ammo and an upgraded to the max Hydra and then maybe we'll take your complaints seriously :D
LOL. I did the same thing in RE4 several times and Wario64 believed me. At least I think he did. I believe I died over 120 times in my regular handgun run. You can even go check the old RE4 topic in the archives.

If you followed my posts you would see that I did indeed have to turn on infinite ammo for stage 5 because I was so low on handgun ammo. After I beat 5 I hated how much easier it was with infinite ammo on that I went and collected a couple thousand more handgun ammo and actually replayed the entire game without infinite ammo again with an un upgraded handgun because my friend wanted to see it for himself. I did upgrade 2 of the piercing levels on the Punisher style handgun so I could have the ability to shoot through 2 enemies. So you got me Sherlock the gun wasn't technically completely un upgraded. :lol EDIT: Capcity was also slightly upgraded but power and reload speed were left at their default levels. I use quick reload through inventory all the time now.

What would make you think what I was doing was impossible though or were you just kidding around? I always liked playing RE games with the bare minimal of resources. I like to keep it a true survival horror game and there is very little surviving when you're armed to the teeth with rocket launchers, grenade launchers and hand cannons. It's fun to play it that way once or twice but where is the challenge?

I still need to finish 6-2 but I got sidetracked replaying Turok 2 and Mars Matrix over again. Haven't played either in 8 years and they both hold up surprisingly well.

OriginX

If I play with someone on professional online, do I get credit for it even if I don't have pro unlocked? or will I need to go through all the professional levels again once I unlock it?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
LiK said:
i think it's possible to play Pro without infinite ammo for the regular sections. and for the bosses, just buy a regular rocket launcher and you can beat them that way. it's still technically not using infinite ammo. but, i'm not gonna torture myself by playing it that way tho. :p
It's very fun and strategic. It makes me explore the environments more thoroughly in order to find safe spots where enemies are unable to flank you. :)

Didn't use rockets either but I would not have been able to do it without grenades and proximity mines. Most people don't bother exploring how effective these weapons are against certain enemies. This was the same way I was able to beat RE4's Pro mode with a un upgraded handgun but I had to be MUCH more conservative with the grenades since I couldn't back stock em as easily as I can in RE5.

To give an idea I started my pro run with over 100 frag grenades and now I have about 68 left after beating 1-1 through 5-3 then going back and beating 1-1 through 6-2. I'm almost completely out of flash grenades and flame grenades have saved my ass countless times. I always felt the 3 grenade types were very well balanced even in RE4. Proximity mines I used almost exclusively on chainsaw majini and ambush locations. Reapers are surprisingly easy to kill in pro even with a weak handgun as long as you hit their weak points in succession.

Returners

OriginX said:
If I play with someone on professional online, do I get credit for it even if I don't have pro unlocked? or will I need to go through all the professional levels again once I unlock it?

You do. And in the process you also unlock Pro.

I didn't even finish a whole subchapter and I got pro unlocked.

Shapingo

Hot Toys:

They still can't make a Sheva figure; her elbows are horrible

http://tomopop.com/post.phtml?pk=7309&un=Andres+Cerrato

Chris
13719-550x-chris05.jpg

13722-550x-chris08.jpg

i just finished pro mode alone without cheating (i.e. using only the weapons and the money that i find in the levels and never doing a stage twice).

it was fun, but the AI is really bad. It took me about 15 hours and i died about one hundred times. (80% of the times it was AI's fault. Surprisingly enough, the game's difficulty is really balanced outside of the cheap bosses).

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Shaheed79 said:
LOL. I did the same thing in RE4 several times and Wario64 believed me. At least I think he did. I believe I died over 120 times in my regular handgun run. You can even go check the old RE4 topic in the archives.

If you followed my posts you would see that I did indeed have to turn on infinite ammo for stage 5 because I was so low on handgun ammo. After I beat 5 I hated how much easier it was with infinite ammo on that I went and collected a couple thousand more handgun ammo and actually replayed the entire game without infinite ammo again with an un upgraded handgun because my friend wanted to see it for himself. I did upgrade 2 of the piercing levels on the Punisher style handgun so I could have the ability to shoot through 2 enemies. So you got me Sherlock the gun wasn't technically completely un upgraded. :lol EDIT: Capcity was also slightly upgraded but power and reload speed were left at their default levels. I use quick reload through inventory all the time now.

What would make you think what I was doing was impossible though or were you just kidding around? I always liked playing RE games with the bare minimal of resources. I like to keep it a true survival horror game and there is very little surviving when you're armed to the teeth with rocket launchers, grenade launchers and hand cannons. It's fun to play it that way once or twice but where is the challenge?

I still need to finish 6-2 but I got sidetracked replaying Turok 2 and Mars Matrix over again. Haven't played either in 8 years and they both hold up surprisingly well.

Well I guess you're just a gaming God when it comes to RE games. Mad props mayne :)

Davey Cakes

Those figures aren't bad. Although, I actually very much like my NECA Chris figure. It looks enough like him, and for a figure with so many articulation points, it's just as detailed as most "statue" figures that I've come across.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Indeed Sheva's elbows looks weird, well at least Chris looks OK, can't wait for Wesker

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So have we decided on what the most awesome weapon in the game is yet? Because if anyone says anything other than S&W M500 then they are embarrassingly wrong. =p

-Winnie-

I'm amazed by how much time I've spent with this game. Record says 35 hours so far.
Not often that an action game will keep me occupied for so long. :D

Sectus

USD said:
S.T.A.R.S. Wesker's magnum is (slightly) stronger than Chris's in Mercs/Versus. While a fully upgraded M29 is stronger, the Mercs/Versus M29 isn't at its max. There's mostly no difference when killing players, but there is a 1-2 shot difference when killing minibosses. As for the M500, Midnight Wesker's magnum is great for minibosses, but when it comes to killing players, its rate of fire and recovery time are too slow to be as effective as the S.T.A.R.S. characters' respective magnums.

With Tribal Sheva, you need direct contact (at least from my experience) to freeze enemies, and two headshots to down a full health enemy, and this limits the range that you can effectively use the combo to quickly kill players. You can kill them in three shots, but the time needed to do so let's the other player recover. Still a great character, though, I'd probably rank her third.

Chris S.T.A.R.S. is the best at getting quick and certain player kills. The electric (or nitrogren/flame) round -> 2 magnum shots to the gut is certain dying state and unavoidable. Electric rounds also don't need direct contact to connect.
It sounds harder than it really is, but in a typical situation the enemy is usually wounded and if he's trying to kill you he's moving very close, which makes it very easy to hit with the nitrogen round and 2-3 arrows. I hadn't considered that tactic with Chris STARS, which sounds even easier to use than Sheva Tribal's nitrogen rounds. I'd say Chris STARS and Sheva Tribal are the 2 most dangerous characters for slayer when considering player vs player situations.

-Winnie- said:
I'm amazed by how much time I've spent with this game. Record says 35 hours so far.
Not often that an action game will keep me occupied for so long. :D
Record for me says 160 hours (100 hours on 360 version, 60 hours on PS3 version). I suppose I've played the game for a little bit (and the timer doesn't even count time spent in lobbies, item management and such).

klee123

Rez said:
So have we decided on what the most awesome weapon in the game is yet? Because if anyone says anything other than S&W M500 then they are embarrassingly wrong. =p

Hydra: Long range + crowd control + awesome aiming pose with Chris

Magnum wise, I still prefer the lightning hawk. Sure it does 2000pts less damage, but the 2x piercing and speed more than makes for it. Especially against the reapers.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Agh! I hate people who thinks Slayers=Survivors.

There are few gentlemen who just passes you by and sometimes say hi =P

When I encounter these people I just steal their boss kills and sometime win.

dgenx said:

I say "hi!" :( You probably can't hear me over the sound of my rocket detonating upside your head. I understand completely.

dgenx

Attack You said:
I say "hi!" :( You probably can't hear me over the sound of my rocket detonating upside your head. I understand completely.

I guess you live up to your name then :p

Attack You said:

I always laugh at the people who wastes a rocket launcher on a player (sometimes one me) instead of a boss. Normally those who uses Safari Chris, it's like they don't want to win, just blow you with the rocket launcher.

USD

dgenx said:

I've started playing as S.T.A.R.S. Chris a lot more often just so I don't have to deal with other players' bullshit. In every match there's usually one or two players (often three) that make killing players their top priority. If I see someone making a beeline for me, I'll take out the grenade launcher, shock them, then finish them off with the magnum.

I usually don't initiate aggression though, since doing so will often make even passive player(s) have a vendetta against you for the rest of the match. If I have a fairly high combo though and there's another player in the area taking away potential kills, I have no qualms with taking them out, since you get a pretty sizeable bonus for player kills during a good combo. The points awarded for the actual kill isn't overly large (1000 points), but the bonus added to your combo potentially is (around 5000 for getting a player kill for just having 10 kill combo, for example).
Relaxed Muscle said:
I always laugh at the people who wastes a rocket launcher on a player (sometimes one me) instead of a boss. Normally those who uses Safari Chris, it's like they don't want to win, just blow you with the rocket launcher.
Haha, same here.

Top Bottom