• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
-Winnie- said:
I'm amazed by how much time I've spent with this game. Record says 35 hours so far.
Not often that an action game will keep me occupied for so long. :D
Agreed. I am positively hooked on this game. So much so I may pay homage to Capcom and just decide to buy both versions. Best game I have played in a while.

USD

shintoki said:
OMG I just got the game in finally >_< Someone play with me :lol
What system, and what difficulty level? I've already beaten the game like six times, but I might jump in for a while the heck of it. If 360, my GT: Self Deception.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
why oh why I can't get my 20 combo on Slayers D:

it's like I'm in a 17..18.. combo and the game t hinks "now... fuck you! no more majini for you lol"

and the second the combo meter dies everyone shows up

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
RocketDarkness said:
My friend hooked me up with the Slayers techno theme. SO GOOD.

YOu have it? or know where to get it?

USD

I don't care for the Slayers music personally. Regardless, I always mute the music when playing Mercs/Versus so I can better focus on sound.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I sent you an FR USD.

Anyways, I decided play a bit. Got through 1-1 to 2-1. Fantastic so far. It was so much fun. I went into a game while he just started. So I had no weapon till the Axe guy knock down the cage and I got to ran in the back for the USI :lol Of course I had the knife though.

I've come to this realization though, People burn through Ammo way too fast :lol Whatever happened to the 1 Bullet in the head = 3 kills?

Insaniac

So i took the dive and got Versus so I'm looking for anyone who wants to play it some time (360), GT: TheLintendo

I'm also love playing mercs too, and I'm progressing through Veteran atm

cvxfreak

Can anyone confirm if removing a 360 HDD with an RE5 save file and putting it into another will allow us to play the game with the same save on the other system?

Not possible on PS3 at all, but I'm wondering if 360 has the same limitation.

Narag

cvxfreak said:
Can anyone confirm if removing a 360 HDD with an RE5 save file and putting it into another will allow us to play the game with the same save on the other system?

Not possible on PS3 at all, but I'm wondering if 360 has the same limitation.

I started RE5 with my personal HDD on a different console while I was out of town and picked it right back up on my 360 when I was home again.

Mesijs

So I'm halfway with the game now on normal... not really difficult, especially after I bought the stunrod...

Didn't upgrade anything yet, only spent money on the stunrod and a melee vest. But I have a question. Say, I would like to upgrade one weapon to the max with unlimited ammo without spending money on anything else, about when could I do it? I'm looking into this first magnum since I read it would unlock the strongest magnum in the game...

Mesijs said:
So I'm halfway with the game now on normal... not really difficult, especially after I bought the stunrod...

Didn't upgrade anything yet, only spent money on the stunrod and a melee vest. But I have a question. Say, I would like to upgrade one weapon to the max with unlimited ammo without spending money on anything else, about when could I do it? I'm looking into this first magnum since I read it would unlock the strongest magnum in the game...

You can't unlock unlimited ammo until after you've finished the game. The second magnum (L. Hawk) is probably the best to upgrade. It's not the strongest of the 3, but it takes much less money since you don't have to fully upgrade 2 magnums for it, and it's firing rate is much faster, so it makes up for the difference in power there.

dgenx

Insaniac said:
So i took the dive and got Versus so I'm looking for anyone who wants to play it some time (360), GT: TheLintendo

I'm also love playing mercs too, and I'm progressing through Veteran atm

I'll send a FR

GT: dgenererex

edit:I got the 20 combo :D:D

I love and hate Verus mode. I don't think the engine really works for it, especially in Survivor. If you get the upper hand, that's it. The mechanics are just too slow to work with player vs player. Still it is a lot of fun, and very satisfying to win.

Also, I really want more characters for Mercs/Vs. Bring back all the favorites. Hunk really should've been in it. A lot of the Alpha team guys basically had his costume anyway. Hell I'd pay just for Mercs/Vs downloaded game if had all the past RE heroes and main players: Leon, Claire, Hunk, Rebecca, Barry, Ada, Krauser, Billy, Carlos, even Steve Burnside.

Guzim

I was just hosting a session of Slayers and around 2 minutes, the enemies stopped spawning. We were all confused, and another player and I just shot each other once out of boredom. It was so weird.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Heya, What happened to all my weapons and saved data? I was playing it and some wanker quit the game. So he reset, And I currently have no guns or anything.

The dying system is horrible in Vs mode. It's a waste of time, you can try to resuscitate yourself but you wind getting hit again and back into dying, you're better off just dying but unless someone hits you fast it's aggravating. Plus you can't dodge another players melee attack so you just feel like an idiot. The only place it works is in Survivor mode, because you get big points for melee attacking someone to death, but everyone does it so it doesn't even matter.

Sectus

shintoki said:
Heya, What happened to all my weapons and saved data? I was playing it and some wanker quit the game. So he reset, And I currently have no guns or anything.
Quit the game (make sure it doesn't save anything), and then restart the game and make sure it loads your savegame. It's possible to get into a situation where the game doesn't load your savegame, and you *really* don't want it to overwrite your actual savegame if that happens.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sectus said:
Quit the game (make sure it doesn't save anything), and then restart the game and make sure it loads your savegame. It's possible to get into a situation where the game doesn't load your savegame, and you *really* don't want it to overwrite your actual savegame if that happens.
I guess I lost it then

This pretty much sucks :lol

Finally 1200/1200, actually I'm not that achievement whore, but it's RE and so awesome so it's a special case.

I really got tired of Survivors, I think i'll stick with Slayers most of my time, even if some people seems to think they're playing Survivors.

atomico

LTTP, I guess, I just got the game.

I'm at the
marshlands
(3-1, iirc). Love the game so far, even if it lacks some of the personality of RE4

fighting
the natives
was awesome. those fuckers are a lot tougher and more aggresive than the hooded guys from RE4. Plus there were a lot more of them :D

btw, can I kill the
alligator
(as in "does it drop any good loot?":lol)? I was low on ammo at the time, so I didn't even try

LiK

atomico said:
LTTP, I guess, I just got the game.

I'm at the
marshlands
(3-1, iirc). Love the game so far, even if it lacks some of the personality of RE4

fighting
the natives
was awesome. those fuckers are a lot tougher and more aggresive than the hooded guys from RE4. Plus there were a lot more of them :D

btw, can I kill the
alligator
(as in "does it drop any good loot?":lol)? I was low on ammo at the time, so I didn't even try

not much of a spoiler lvl so no worries about tags there, ;)

i never tried killing the gators either. i just run away from them and i'm fine. i should check and see how they explode with a rocket launcher to the face. :D

Dyno

Rez said:
So have we decided on what the most awesome weapon in the game is yet? Because if anyone says anything other than S&W M500 then they are embarrassingly wrong. =p

I'm doing my solo pro run with the S&W 500, the Hydra, and the Rocket Launcher - all with infinite ammo. (Sheva has the Longbow and another Infinite Rocket Launcher.)

It's a great weapon for medium range.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dyno said:
I'm doing my solo pro run with the S&W 500, the Hydra, and the Rocket Launcher - all with infinite ammo. (Sheva has the Longbow and another Infinite Rocket Launcher.)

That's actually the exact same weapon load-out I used when I did my Pro run. Although I eventually swapped the Longbow for the Broken Butterfly like Magnum (with infinite ammo) after it became clear that Sheva's aim was awful with that damn thing. :lol

LiK

Dyno said:

same setup here when i did my Pro run except i had Sheva use the L Hawk. i love her range with it.

Dyno said:

My inventory way 7 first aid sprays, bullet proof vest, and rocket launcher. Sheva's was L. Hawk w/ unlimited ammo, bullet proof vest, 7 first aid sprays. :lol

LiK

KilgoreTrout said:
My inventory way 7 first aid sprays, bullet proof vest, and rocket launcher. Sheva's was L. Hawk w/ unlimited ammo, bullet proof vest, 7 first aid sprays. :lol

exact same setup here. :lol

I used a M3 ?? shot gun and it was extremely manageable.. I must have died like 4 to 5 times. The best advise is to stay back and let the enemies come to you instead of you going to them.

atomico

LiK said:

i never tried killing the gators either. i just run away from them and i'm fine. i should check and see how they explode with a rocket launcher to the face. :D

yup, I just run away too, got through without a hitch. The suspense music blaring in that area is kinda misleading

Sheva did fall behind, running around like a headless chicken for about a minute while I was already at the boat. gators didn't pop up for her, though

I forgot about the rockets, I'll feed him one tonight, see what happens :lol

edit: if any of you PS3 kids are up for some co-op, add me: JUNKER99

Gee

LiK said:

On a co-op game my mate always goes for the objective @ the gator location, while I snipe them from a distance. It's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it on the first run.

Mesijs

So I just completed the campagin. LOVED it!!!

Question: what would be the best weapon to fully upgraded for the 5 hour speedrun? I figure the magnum but what else?

Returners

Mesijs said:

Question: what would be the best weapon to fully upgraded for the 5 hour speedrun? I figure the magnum but what else?

One of the shotguns. I use M3. 900 Max damage = close-range awesome.

EDIT:
Which subchapter is faster? 4-1 or 5-3? I can do 5-3 in about 18 mins. Anyone have a ballpark on how long 4-1 is?

(also, 5-3 has waaay more treasures than 4-1)

MoFuzz

Even though the M3 has a higher firepower rating on paper, I believe the Hydra is actually the most powerful shotgun.

It's been speculated on previous pages that the Hydra's firepower rating of 550 is for each barrel, so if you land all three on an enemy at close range, it should be a total of 1650.

I've tried firing both the M3 and the Hydra at point blank range at various boss enemies, and the Hydra always takes less hits to kill.

Plus, it has a wicked long range with excellent push-back effect when fired at a crowd.
In fact, the range is so awesome, you can practically use it at distances normally reserved for pistols.

So yeah, Hydra FTW.

LiK

Mesijs said:

like everyone says, definitely a shottie and the M3 is def the better one. i used a maxed out M3 for my Vet run and had no problems. even in Vet mode, you'll get plenty of ammo drops for it.

if you got the cash and patience, try to get the Hydra shottie. fucking awesome gun for Pro mode

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LiK said:
like everyone says, definitely a shottie and the M3 is def the better one. i used a maxed out M3 for my Vet run and had no problems. even in Vet mode, you'll get plenty of ammo drops for it.

if you got the cash and patience, try to get the Hydra shottie. fucking awesome gun for Pro mode

Er, yeah. I'm gonna go with the Hydra too. It's just unreasonably powerful. I don't think the power rating is accurate because it always seems to do magnum level damage consistently. Someone tested it out on an executioner a while back and the Hydra took less shells for the kill.

Also, I don't think the range bonus for the Hydra widens the spread. I think that's misleading. I think it increases the range of the spread, distancewise, so you can use it at the medium-far range. Of course, you'll only do pistol like damage from that range, but even so it can cause stagger, which is a crazy thing for a shotgun. Basically, for any other shotgun used at medium-far range (besides the Jailbreaker) an enemy in the laser's sight will be hit, but that's not so with the Hydra because of the increased cone range.

Insaniac

after playing some slayers, i gotta say, the pvp damage is realy annoying sometimes. One game I played involved 2 Safari chris and 1 BSAA chris and really all they did if they got NEAR another players just started going shotgun mad. It was frustrating as all hell.

Mesijs

Speedrun is crazy now. :D I got the most powerful magnum on unlimited ammo, the first chainsaw guys dies like he's nothing. Don't even need headshots.

I'm doing chapters in 5 and 10 minutes now that took me half an hour or an hour the first time. Just rushing past the enemies, now and then killing somebody with one shot. Even that first boss I just killed without all the bullshit with like two or three shots. :lol

The game totally changes this way and I love it! Playing the speedrun amateur btw, it's not about difficulty anyway this time. Going to do Pro with unlimited magnum and unlimited rocket launcher. :D

What's the best chapter to get treasures/money on? I guess the temple one?

Dyno

LiK said:
same setup here when i did my Pro run except i had Sheva use the L Hawk. i love her range with it.

Even though I've seen Sheva nail five and six guys within three seconds with her trusty bow I'll buy infinate ammo for the Hawk and let her go to town with it. With it's bigger damage plus piercing it might be the weapon to take for the end of the game.

Mesijs said:
Speedrun is crazy now.

A hidden beauty of the game is that you wind up playing it different ways. At first it's a pure survival/horror that you play slow and steady, making sure to collect everything you can. As you unlock and upgrade all the weapons, and start buying unlimited ammo the game changes entirely into a great speed shooter.

The game chapters are so well done, with a decent mix-up of everything in the game, that they really can be played a over and over. No one would get to the point they are now unless the chapters were as well done as they are. We would have all been bored by then.

Did anyone else think that Wesker snapped when Spencer revealed that he had been manipulated all along. He adapted Spencer's plan as his own, even though he had never heard about it before. I got the impression that he forced himself to do it because he couldn't handle being someone elses puppet. Wesker also looked more like an animal than a human during the flashback sequence with Jill and Chris. He just charged them like a beast, and didn't even take his time to mock them. I've been following the series for 7 years, and i never once got the impression that Weskers goal was to rule the world. It just seemed so forced.

Miburou

The two vests don't do anything on Pro, right?

I played the first 3 chapters on Pro with my brother, and it's amazing how differently you approach the game on that difficulty. While the bosses were no problem with two infinite rocket launchers (taking between 2 seconds for the first one, and 10 for Irving), the section in chapter 3-3 (the boat ride with Joshua) was a bit of challenge as there was one Majini with dynamite that we did not spot and kept blowing us up. That part became a "kill ever enenemy before you pass them" challenge for us.

The QTEs became a non-issue once I figured out that you can press all 4 face buttons at once to get past them (unless you need to press L+R, of course).

Miburou said:
The QTEs became a non-issue once I figured out that you can press all 4 face buttons at once to get past them (unless you need to press L+R, of course).

WHAT??
13.gif

Top Bottom