• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Dyno

Miburou said:
The two vests don't do anything on Pro, right?

They help somewhat, though there are still attacks that kill you in one blow.

The QTEs became a non-issue once I figured out that you can press all 4 face buttons at once to get past them (unless you need to press L+R, of course).

Weird! In the guide is says pushing any other button then the one you're supposed to results in failure on Pro.

LiK

Miburou said:
The two vests don't do anything on Pro, right?

i think they still reduce most minor attacks from the regular enemies. from my experience, those attacks took off a few chunks of life, it wasn't instant death. i didn't get as much Dying screens as people have mentioned so i think the vests did something. it wasn't the one hit kill horror that i had expected when i was doing my Pro run.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
LiK said:
i think they still reduce most minor attacks from the regular enemies. from my experience, those attacks took off a few chunks of life, it wasn't instant death. i didn't get as much Dying screens as people have mentioned so i think the vests did something. it wasn't the one hit kill horror that i had expected when i was doing my Pro run.

When i did my pro run, both Chris and Sheva had both vests equipped, yet i still had plenty of '1 hit your in danger' moments. Maybe they helped on the smaller hits that only took off a little energy, but to me anyways, i didnt feel they really helped me at all in my pro run.

cvxfreak said:
So, I've been killing Jill for the last 20 minutes on purpose with a bunch of different weapons. I'm so evil. :D

In one of my attemps I shoot the mechanism with the S&W 500, I failed and she died. It was a pretty sad moment. How can you do that one time after another? :lol

Did you shoot her in the ass? I'm pretty sure bullets will just bounce. :lol

cvxfreak

Relaxed Muscle said:
In one of my attemps I shoot the mechanism with the S&W 500, I failed and she died. It was a pretty sad moment. How can you do that one time after another? :lol

Did you shoot her in the ass? I'm pretty sure bullets will just bounce. :lol

I was just bored and having fun.

Blasted her with the Rocket Launcher. Hit her with some arrows. Incinerated her with Incendiary Grenades (which is a pretty bizarre looking death). Hit her with a Magnum Round. Smacked her with the Stun Rod. Did it about 10 times. Still got an A Ranking. :lol :lol

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
cvxfreak said:
So, I've been killing Jill for the last 20 minutes on purpose with a bunch of different weapons. I'm so evil. :D

Wish I could do that with Sheva for all the times she either:

A) Stood right next to me and didnt heal me when i was dying
B) Had one of her many "AI farts" and walked right out in the line of fire

:lol :lol

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Wish I could do that with Sheva for all the times she either:

A) Stood right next to me and didnt heal me when i was dying
B) Had one of her many "AI farts" and walked right out in the line of fire

The other day I was playing with Sheva, and when trying to get to the next sector and waiting for Chris A.I. he got stuck, so I waited to see how many time he will take to reach to the door, he took 2 minutes, I really wished I could shoot him with my magnum when he arrived, and it's another point to the theory that Chris AI it's actually worst than the Sheva AI.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
For the speed run, Can I go back and redo all the levels for shorter time? Or do I have to start a new game to get under 5 hours?

2nd: Only way to play, Pistol for normal use, Mag for power, Grenades and mines :lol

Returners

shintoki said:
For the speed run, Can I go back and redo all the levels for shorter time? Or do I have to start a new game to get under 5 hours?

2nd: Only way to play, Pistol for normal use, Mag for power, Grenades and mines :lol

You can redo, as long as you get your total down under 5 hrs.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So I finished up my normal run, and what do you know, under 5 hours without retrying :lol

But I've encounter a new foe. How do I get my infinite ammo to work. I went into the special features and turned it on, and bought my mag.500 infinite. Yet I go into games and it doesn't work

Miburou

shintoki said:
So I finished up my normal run, and what do you know, under 5 hours without retrying :lol

But I've encounter a new foe. How do I get my infinite ammo to work. I went into the special features and turned it on, and bought my mag.500 infinite. Yet I go into games and it doesn't work

The host needs to enable infinite ammo.

LiK

shintoki said:

when you start a chapter, the menu with the Live settings "Rogue" etc has the option beneath it for Infinite ammo (yes/no). if the host didn't beat the game, it won't be there for them, IIRC

Miburou

I love how Jill will sometimes jump up to the 2nd floor, sit on railing the with her legs crossed and her cheek resting on her palm looking at you fondly. So out of the blue.

Has anyone managed to shatter that thing on Jill's chest? I tried shooting it 4 times with the L. Hawk, but to no avail. On Pro this part gave us the most trouble, as for some reason it seemed very difficult to dodge her attack after she breaks loose from your hold, even though I was jamming on the X button even before the command appeared on screen.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Miburou said:
I love how Jill will sometimes jump up to the 2nd floor, sit on railing the with her legs crossed and her cheek resting on her palm looking at you fondly. So out of the blue.

Has anyone managed to shatter that thing on Jill's chest? I tried shooting it 4 times with the L. Hawk, but to no avail. On Pro this part gave us the most trouble, as for some reason it seemed very difficult to dodge her attack after she breaks loose from your hold, even though I was jamming on the X button even before the command appeared on screen.

IIRC, the device has a set # of hp, like 10,000. Each tap of the x button while pulling is like 30, and a shot from any gun, doesn't matter which, is ~1,500. Technically, I don't think it can be 'destroyed', only taken down to 0 hp so that the next tap of the x button will remove it. could be wrong tho, I've always just pulled it off after like 5 hits.

Also, you might be missing the break loose dodge because it switches to A if you keep mashing x. It definitely differentiates between the two.

Miburou

Metroidvania said:
IIRC, the device has a set # of hp, like 10,000. Each tap of the x button while pulling is like 30, and a shot from any gun, doesn't matter which, is ~1,500. Technically, I don't think it can be 'destroyed', only taken down to 0 hp so that the next tap of the x button will remove it. could be wrong tho, I've always just pulled it off after like 5 hits.

Also, you might be missing the break loose dodge because it switches to A if you keep mashing x. It definitely differentiates between the two.

First time I played against her, I didn't shoot the device at all. Just threw her around a dozen times and tried pulling the device away 6-7 times before it would come off. I think the more you throw her around, the longer she stays on the floor. Talking to her so that she snaps out of it also seems to cause the device to get damaged.

A weird thing I noticed (although I could be mistaken) is that the 2nd time you fight Wesker (on the ship), the rocket launcher (one shot so that he grabs it with his hands, another to detonate it) doesn't seem to hurt him as much as the magnum does. Probably toned down the strength of the rocket launcher in that fight because they give it to you during the fight.

atomico

Miburou said:
First time I played against her, I didn't shoot the device at all. Just threw her around a dozen times and tried pulling the device away 6-7 times before it would come off.

I shot her once. popped her with the PSG-1 while she was doing the Devil May Cry gun poses. Then it was just run, grab, mash button, repeat ad nauseam...

I started having some doubts after the 5th or so "tap X" moment, since there were no signs of any progress.

to add insult to injury, 9 times out of 10, Sheva wouldn't do jack shit while Chris restrained, either. I still kept grabbing her, though, I don't think Chris minded :lol

LiK

the chestpiece should come off in one try after you shoot it 5-6 times. it takes way more shots in Pro. i learned the hard way. if you find yourself struggling to take it off that means you need to shoot it more. just be prepared to dodge if that's the case. the chestpiece has some sort of invisible lifebar to it.

GuessWho

is it really worth upgrading to the hand cannon, if I already have the original magnum fully upgraded - w/infinite ammo? Is it that much cooler?

LiK

GuessWho said:
is it really worth upgrading to the hand cannon, if I already have the original magnum fully upgraded - w/infinite ammo? Is it that much cooler?

the regular magums can still do a ton of dmg, but the S&W M500 is not only cool to look at but they take slightly less shots to kill the sub and normal bosses. :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Miburou said:

Huh? I don't remember this ever happening.

LiK

VaLiancY said:
It's rare but she does it. She did it on Professional and I wasn't paying attention to Wesker's dodge prompt and ate it.

yea, that happened to me too during the fight with her alone. cute pose.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LiK said:
i bet Wesker programmed those traits into her for "personal" reasons, huhu ;)

SOMEONE MAKE A GIF.

Now I have to try it out tonight and just run around in the fight until she does it.

ravien56

so me and my friend been trying to play through the game the last few days, and we up till 5-1...but the last 2-3 times we've been trying to play, the game would just end...im getting so sick and tired of redoing this same level, its on ps3 and originally we thought it was the network but after last night, i know its on my end as im joining his hosted game and after like 5 mins of playing, the game ends and i get a error message on the xmb saying something like error (8200020) any ideas?

I'm way late to the party here, but I finally finished my first run on Normal (single player) and I loved it. The last boss is fucking difficult (had to break out my knife I was so low on ammo and killed it with my final shotgun shot). Overall, seems like I was a bit slower than average based on the leaderboards (about 11.5 hours). Length felt about right to me, as I play in short segments (one subchapter per session).

I thought it was a satisfying conclusion (if this is the end of this storyline as has been hinted). Definitely want to play through again.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
GitarooMan said:
I'm way late to the party here, but I finally finished my first run on Normal (single player) and I loved it. The last boss is fucking difficult (had to break out my knife I was so low on ammo and killed it with my final shotgun shot). Overall, seems like I was a bit slower than average based on the leaderboards (about 11.5 hours). Length felt about right to me, as I play in short segments (one subchapter per session).

I thought it was a satisfying conclusion (if this is the end of this storyline as has been hinted). Definitely want to play through again.

Beat the game under 5 hrs, and then play through it again on a higher difficulty with infinite Rocket Launcher (which you get for a <5hr playthrough).

Nothing more fun than blasting Wesker in the face over and over again with a rocket launcher in that last sequence and he cant even move out of the way. Killed him in like 4-5 rocket blasts....

ravien56

mh56 said:
so me and my friend been trying to play through the game the last few days, and we up till 5-1...but the last 2-3 times we've been trying to play, the game would just end...im getting so sick and tired of redoing this same level, its on ps3 and originally we thought it was the network but after last night, i know its on my end as im joining his hosted game and after like 5 mins of playing, the game ends and i get a error message on the xmb saying something like error (8200020) any ideas?
anyone?

mh56 said:

Troubleshoot:

1. does that happen on other levels? No means game problem. yes means network problem.

2. does it happen when you play with other players, or when your partner plays with other players?

Check your network settings on your router. Make sure QoS is set up properly, or just completely disable it. Make sure you're not downloading anything.

Try directly hooking up your PS3 to your network via ethernet.

If nothing helps, and this problem does not occur anywhere else in the game, then play that level separately, and try playing again after you pass the problem section.

ravien56

radiantdreamer said:
Troubleshoot:

1. does that happen on other levels? No means game problem. yes means network problem.

2. does it happen when you play with other players, or when your partner plays with other players?

Check your network settings on your router. Make sure QoS is set up properly, or just completely disable it. Make sure you're not downloading anything.

Try directly hooking up your PS3 to your network via ethernet.

If nothing helps, and this problem does not occur anywhere else in the game, then play that level separately, and try playing again after you pass the problem section.
awesome thanks for the tips, just whats QoS?...also, its happened on a few other levels and im moving my router downstairs tonight to get it wired directly so well see.

LiK

mh56 said:
awesome thanks for the tips, just whats QoS?...also, its happened on a few other levels and im moving my router downstairs tonight to get it wired directly so well see.

Quantum of Solace? :p

Sectus

mh56 said:
Quality of Service. As far as I know, it's a priority system so that if the router detects specific network packets (like gaming related) it'll handle those first. I'm not too familiar with it, but I imagine it wouldn't have a big effect unless your bandwidth is low.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
shintoki said:
Could use a partner for going through the Merc stages with A rankings

if you got XBL, GT: dgenererex

edit.: How nice is to play with people that understands that SLAYERS isnt SURVIVORS!! ARAGHHHH

Which one is better for Sheva in veteran and pro mode? Magnum that does 5000 damage or longbow? Magnum might be doing more damage but it has heavy recoil. With longbow, I think, you can shoot twice any many in the same time.

I wish there was exchange point glitch too. It is really boring to grind for exchange points.

Insaniac

MirageDwarf said:
Which one is better for Sheva in veteran and pro mode? Magnum that does 5000 damage or longbow? Magnum might be doing more damage but it has heavy recoil. With longbow, I think, you can shoot twice any many in the same time.

I wish there was exchange point glitch too. It is really boring to grind for exchange points.

give sheva the lhawk or m29 magnum

Chapter 3-2, in that part with the raft, the coolest thing happened. There was one majini left. I shot him in the kneecap, he went down onto his knees. I hooked him in the face before Sheva proceeded to kick him in into the water. Next thing you know a croc eats him up. So good.

Been playing it for nearly 50 hours now and it never gets old. :D

mittelos

Finally! Got my first SS on Mercs. Using Battlesuit Jill. My new favorite mercs character. Never bothered with the SMG much before, but it works beautifully in mercs in setting up melee kills and also with controlling large crowds. Her rifle is handy as well. Plus, she's pretty easy on the eyes!

ravien56

mittelos said:
Finally! Got my first SS on Mercs. Using Battlesuit Jill. My new favorite mercs character. Never bothered with the SMG much before, but it works beautifully in mercs in setting up melee kills and also with controlling large crowds. Her rifle is handy as well. Plus, she's pretty easy on the eyes!
hehe thats why i play sheva during single player

derder

I almost upgraded all my weapons and was just starting professional. I completed all Merc. I don't know how many hours I've put into this fucking game.

Failed to load save.

Now I have to restart everything, just to play one someone who has been waiting for me to get to pro, since launch.

Insaniac said:
give sheva the lhawk or m29 magnum
Gave her L. Hawk. Works out pretty good. Thanks.

By the way, I SERIOUSLY FUCKING HATE when after this much evolution in game designs, developers go for qt. To make is more painful, it is totally fucking random. You hardly get fraction of second on pro mode to comprehend and press buttons. Fuck ndesu. and Fuck Capcom.

WHY THE FUCKING HELL do developers think of this as a good gameplay design?

MirageDwarf said:

By the way, I SERIOUSLY FUCKING HATE when after this much evolution in game designs, developers go for qt. To make is more painful, it is totally fucking random. You hardly get fraction of second on pro mode to comprehend and press buttons. Fuck ndesu. and Fuck Capcom.

What worked for me with Ndesu is I had to be very aware not to press any buttons when the QTE popped up. So even when I had just been shooting nonstop, the moment it looked like a QTE was about to pop up I let go of the button(s).

Otherwise I would have never beaten him.

Miburou

MirageDwarf said:

I agree it sucks, but as I mentioned earlier, just press all 3 face buttons (either together or in quick succession) and you should pass every QTE.

Top Bottom