• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Wesker's baby, mecha Wesker,Ghost Wesker we missed Time travel Wesker

such great ideas just to have more COMPLETE WESKER SATURATION! :lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Well, you have to do it if you want the one exclusive topaz which is part of the treasure achievement.

I'm still pissed off at Capcom for ruining Wesker.

Neiteio

dgenx said:
Wesker's baby, mecha Wesker,Ghost Wesker we missed Time travel Wesker

such great ideas just to have more COMPLETE WESKER SATURATION! :lol
The very thought makes me complete pants saturation.

Great game so far, but the Gears envy is pretty damned blatant, and it sometimes feel like the game is uncomfortably stuck between genres. The bosses are also pretty damned lame.

Just finished this over the weekend. So kickass playing with your gf.

Quite enjoyable, I unlocked the Infinite Magnum
Win Button
, so much fun.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So my sister used my profile without my permission and she jumped to play in a game as Sheeva. Does this delete the playthrough I am doing as Chris? For fuck's sake please no =(.

Insaniac

Relix said:
So my sister used my profile without my permission and she jumped to play in a game as Sheeva. Does this delete the playthrough I am doing as Chris? For fuck's sake please no =(.

It may delete your current checkpoint but you can easily start the chapter over as Chris, and the game doesn't keep track of whether or not you finish a game completely with sheva or chris

GamerSoul

Sectus said:
72 combo in team slayer, woot! And of course, it was the only session in weeks where I did not record.

The highest i managed in team was 93. But we both had STARS Wesker and my random partner was a beast in his own right.

And if we need another enemy i vote for Ada.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
same post sorry

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Plugging away solo in pro mode.....

Lik-- Playing as Sheva against the massive troll boss was easier, but i still died like 10 times before i beat it. :lol

ITS THOSE DAMN MAJINI IN THE BACK!!!! Chris would never shoot them and they kept killing me at the worst time! Oh well its over now.

Making good progress!!! RE5 is going to be my 1st platinum trophy.

Insaniac

GamerSoul said:
The highest i managed in team was 93. But we both had STARS Wesker and my random partner was a beast in his own right.

No, Ada must be the femme fatale and remain neutral

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
GamerSoul said:

Hmm....

As I've said before, IMO, only Leon and Claire have any real 'story' leftover after the end of RE5 with Sherry still being MiA.

I can see Claire and Leon partnering up like RE5, only more in RE2's original style, rather than all co-op, to look for Sherry. Leon gets additional help/interference from Ada, and Claire the same with Steve. Give us one more over the shoulder capcom. Make it happen.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I swear everytime I want to give this game some credit the horrible single player gameplay mechanics kick me in the coconuts. The Sheva AI is SERIOUSLY flawed and it shows the most on Professional difficulty.

I was finishing up my weak handgun only Pro run and I'm on 6-1 inside of the frigate and the AI glitch where Sheva absolutely refuses to heal you when you're in red energy is ruining my enjoyment but that's only the beginning. Everyone who has played Pro knows that you have a much smaller window to heal your teammate than in easier modes. In easier modes Sheva was quick to pull out a healing item and heal you as soon as you got in the red.

In Pro mode 8 out of 9 times she will be SO slow to heal you that you are guaranteed to die no matter what what you do. You can set her to Cover/Attack and give her a gun with nothing but healing herbs. It won't matter. What makes it horrible is that she is actually QUICKER to heal you on easier modes. Most of the time I get hit and go red she will be standing right next to me and still aiming her gun watching me die as if she gets off on it. To know that the woman didn't even put down her gun to TRY to heal me makes it all the more insulting. I can't tell you how frustrating this was during the Jill Battle because everytime I got hurt I had to restart.

I also noticed that the AI will rarely ever attack Sheva on Professional (I guess this is their way of "balancing" the gameplay on Pro due to the not so good AI of Sheva) and I find this design decision problematic especially on the frigate level when you have to kill a whole bunch of bunkered down machine gun majini. Again you can set her to cover or attack it doesn't matter because she will stand right in the line of fire of the majini who are firing at me while I'm taking cover. I have no idea why she won't take cover and keep away from their line of fire just to stand right next to me. This is really confusing since the only benefit of standing so close to me during a gun fight is to heal me if I get hit but like I stated above she won't even do that!

RE5 was not play tested enough in single player because the AI shortcomings are damn near game breaking on Professional difficulty during some segments.

Until they fix these glitches which they probably won't I wish they had a "Choke Sheva" option just so I could take out my frustration on her digital avatar.

Kard8p3

Shaheed79 said:
I swear everytime I want to give this game some credit the horrible single player gameplay mechanics kick me in the coconuts. The Sheva AI is SERIOUSLY flawed and it shows the most on Professional difficulty.

I was finishing up my weak handgun only Pro run and I'm on 6-1 inside of the frigate and the AI glitch where Sheva absolutely refuses to heal you when you're in red energy is ruining my enjoyment but that's only the beginning. Everyone who has played Pro knows that you have a much smaller window to heal your teammate than in easier modes. In easier modes Sheva was quick to pull out a healing item and heal you as soon as you got in the red.

In Pro mode 8 out of 9 times she will be SO slow to heal you that you are guaranteed to die no matter what what you do. You can set her to Cover/Attack and give her a gun with nothing but healing herbs. It won't matter. What makes it horrible is that she is actually QUICKER to heal you on easier modes. Most of the time I get hit and go red she will be standing right next to me and still aiming her gun watching me die as if she gets off on it. To know that the woman didn't even put down her gun to TRY to heal me makes it all the more insulting. I can't tell you how frustrating this was during the Jill Battle because everytime I got hurt I had to restart.

I also noticed that the AI will rarely ever attack Sheva on Professional (I guess this is their way of "balancing" the gameplay on Pro due to the not so good AI of Sheva) and I find this design decision problematic especially on the frigate level when you have to kill a whole bunch of bunkered down machine gun majini. Again you can set her to cover or attack it doesn't matter because she will stand right in the line of fire of the majini who are firing at me while I'm taking cover. I have no idea why she won't take cover and keep away from their line of fire just to stand right next to me. This is really confusing since the only benefit of standing so close to me during a gun fight is to heal me if I get hit but like I stated above she won't even do that!

RE5 was not play tested enough in single player because the AI shortcomings are damn near game breaking on Professional difficulty during some segments.

Until they fix these glitches which they probably won't I wish they had a "Choke Sheva" option just so I could take out my frustration on her digital avatar.

The only time AI sheva was problematic on pro for me was in 2-1 where you send her off on her own for the first time. Other than that she worked perfect. I was surprised at how good her AI was because everyone said it was so bad in Pro.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Kard8p3 said:
The only time AI sheva was problematic on pro for me was in 2-1 where you send her off on her own for the first time. Other than that she worked perfect. I was surprised at how good her AI was because everyone said it was so bad in Pro.
Well you have to remember I'm not playing with super weapons, powerful weapons or even upgraded regular weapons. I'm playing Pro with un upgraded regular handguns with infinite ammo off. I care the Punisher style gun and she's carrying the blacktail equivalent so we can't just walk in a room and blow everyone away with a couple shots. It takes real strategy, timing and skill to beat the game on Pro this way and I had been having an easy time doing it until I got to Chapters with machine gun majini specifically on Chapter 6.

Try playing the game with weak handguns and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Not to mention on 4-2 Sheva kept running into the laser OVER and OVER which she had never done before in the 8 previous runs I did. The AI is inconsistent and the more times you beat single player the more she will find a way to irritate you.

Have you noticed that the machine gun majini rarely ever target Sheva on Pro?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
My theory why she refuses to take cover is because the enemies don't technically target her so her AI doesn't acknowledge the bullets that might hit her in a crossfire.

Sheva has never failed to heal you in Pro mode while you were in the Red? Be honest because it would be unlikely that I had the only copy where the AI tends to do that since it is so common in my game (I literally mean like 9 times out of 10 she fails to heal me in time or even try to heal me). I've even seen her do that to other people in youtube videos of people playing Pro mode.

USD

Shaheed79 said:
My theory why she refuses to take cover is because the enemies don't technically target her so her AI doesn't acknowledge the bullets that might hit her in a crossfire.

Sheva has never failed to heal you in Pro mode while you were in the Red? Be honest because it would be unlikely that I had the only copy where the AI tends to do that since it is so common in my game (I literally mean like 9 times out of 10 she fails to heal me in time or even try to heal me). I've even seen her do that to other people in youtube videos of people playing Pro mode.
This is why I don't give my AI partner healing items in Pro mode. Resuscitating is significantly faster. There have been cases though where the AI, standing right beside me, would actually pop off an extra shot before saving me.

Kard8p3

Shaheed79 said:

As long as she had health items she did. However I kept her in cover mode through all of my Pro run so she'd be right by my side the whole time.

Sheva on Pro was a nightmare. The AI really falls short in Pro mode.

However, for the Ndetsu fight it's good. Have the AI be Chris and you be Sheva and it's cake.

Sectus

Shaheed79 said:

Okay, yeah, I agree there. I'm pretty sure they didn't put a lot of effort into testing singleplayer pro difficulty using ONLY NON-UPGRADED HANDGUNS :p

Also, I'm not sure if you're already aware, but there's many attacks in pro mode where it looks like you could be healed, but it is actually impossible. For instance if you miss any of the QTEs during the second boss fight in 6-3, you can't be healed.

But well, I seriously recommend you try crazy stuff like playing on Pro mode with handicapped weapons with an actual human player. It shouldn't come as a surprise the AI isn't designed for stuff like that.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Insaniac said:
It may delete your current checkpoint but you can easily start the chapter over as Chris, and the game doesn't keep track of whether or not you finish a game completely with sheva or chris

Thanks a bunch =)

LiK

finished the game by myself (once again) for the PS3 version last night. since i have 1000 points already for the 360 version, now i can go for the platnium trophy on the PS3. i don't think i can stop playing this game :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
USD said:
This is why I don't give my AI partner healing items in Pro mode. Resuscitating is significantly faster. There have been cases though where the AI, standing right beside me, would actually pop off an extra shot before saving me.
This is exactly what the trick would do to me! She would have 6 healing items and instead of using one to save my life she'll continue shooting. This wouldn't be such a big deal if every hit from an enemy didn't send you into the red where you are unable to heal yourself!! That's just bad game design.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Sectus said:
Okay, yeah, I agree there. I'm pretty sure they didn't put a lot of effort into testing singleplayer pro difficulty using ONLY NON-UPGRADED HANDGUNS :p

Also, I'm not sure if you're already aware, but there's many attacks in pro mode where it looks like you could be healed, but it is actually impossible. For instance if you miss any of the QTEs during the second boss fight in 6-3, you can't be healed.

But well, I seriously recommend you try crazy stuff like playing on Pro mode with handicapped weapons with an actual human player. It shouldn't come as a surprise the AI isn't designed for stuff like that.
She does this no matter what weapons you use or give her. I've already read a couple other people complaining about the same thing in the last few pages so I know it's not just my game where she's doing this or rather refusing to do this.

LiK

Shaheed79 said:
This is exactly what the trick would do to me! She would have 6 healing items and instead of using one to save my life she'll continue shooting. This wouldn't be suck a big deal if every hit from an enemy didn't send you into the red where you are unable to heal yourself!! That's just bad game design.

yea, this happened from time to time. there were certain specific sections where she wouldn't heal me in Pro mode even tho she was next to me. the shorten Dying timer probably confused the AI. but the good thing is that if she had a healing item ready next to you, you won't die even if the timer is empty cuz the AI is ready to heal you. kinda funny.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
LiK said:
finished the game by myself (once again) for the PS3 version last night. since i have 1000 points already for the 360 version, now i can go for the platnium trophy on the PS3. i don't think i can stop playing this game :lol
I have both but haven't been able to decide which I like better. Did you find any framerate issues in the PS3 version that took away from the experience compared to the X360 version?

Sectus

Shaheed79 said:
She does this no matter what weapons you use or give her. I've already read a couple other people complaining about the same thing in the last few pages so I know it's not just my game where she's doing this or rather refusing to do this.
Well, I dunno, I've heard people complain about the *opposite* of what you've been saying. Lots of people complained about how Sheva would heal them too fast even if they're just slightly wounded. And seriously, play pro mode with a human player. I think the AI is pretty good overall, but it does not work well in pro mode where you die in one single hit.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
C- Warrior said:
Sheva on Pro was a nightmare. The AI really falls short in Pro mode.

However, for the Ndetsu fight it's good. Have the AI be Chris and you be Sheva and it's cake.
I haven't tested Chris's AI yet on Pro at least not extensively. Is he slow to heal you too? I'll try it out later on tonight. I only have like 1 stage left and then I'm done with this game for a good while unless my friends want to play some more co-op Mercenaries. That never gets old. I wish they had put in 4 player split-screen because that would have been great for game parties.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Sectus said:
Well, I dunno, I've heard people complain about the *opposite* of what you've been saying. Lots of people complained about how Sheva would heal them too fast even if they're just slightly wounded. And seriously, play pro mode with a human player. I think the AI is pretty good overall, but it does not work well in pro mode where you die in one single hit.
Whoever said that wasn't playing on Pro mode. There is no "slightly wounded" on Pro mode lol. The only damage that won't take you to red is a single bullet. You can take two hits with the bullet proof vest on and 3 send you to red. We're specifically discussing her AI in pro mode so why bring up how she reacts on easier modes? I already admitted she seems to heal you faster on easier difficulties which is strange as hell to me.

LiK

DenogginizerOS said:
I have both but haven't been able to decide which I like better. Did you find any framerate issues in the PS3 version that took away from the experience compared to the X360 version?

i dont wanna start any systems wars stuff BUT, there were noticeable framerate issues with the QTE cutscenes in the PS3 version. they were particular noticeable in 6-3 with the final few QTE boss fights. but i didn't really noticed any issues with the regular gameplay.

Sectus said:

i never had that happened either. Sheva only healed me if i'm way past the halfway part in Pro. she never healed me too quickly so i'm not sure why people complained about it. and playing in Pro in Solo is actually much easier, imo. the AI just has better aim and there's no need to worry about the QTE stuff with a human player.

Shaheed79 said:
Whoever said that wasn't playing on Pro mode. There is no "slightly wounded" on Pro mode lol. The only damage that won't take you to red is a single bullet. You can take two hits with the bullet proof vest on and 3 send you to red. We're specifically discussing her AI in pro mode so why bring up how she reacts on easier modes? I already admitted she seems to heal you faster on easier difficulties which is strange as hell to me.

i can safely say that not every attack will get you the Dying status. when Majinis grabbed me it only took half my life. and most regular arrow attacks also took a chunk of life, not all. i had both vests on so it probably helped me. i don't agree with guys who say they're useless in Pro. but grenades will most likely kill you instead of getting you the Dying status.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
LiK said:
i dont wanna start any systems wars stuff BUT, there were noticeable framerate issues with the QTE cutscenes in the PS3 version. they were particular noticeable in 6-3 with the final few QTE boss fights. but i didn't really noticed any issues with the regular gameplay.
Thanks. So, just to clarify, the framerate issues do NOT affect your enjoyment of the game and if you had only played the PS3 version, you would be satisfied?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
LiK said:
i can safely say that not every attack will get you the Dying status. when Majinis grabbed me it only took half my life. and most regular arrow attacks also took a chunk of life, not all. i had both vests on so it probably helped me. i don't agree with guys who say they're useless in Pro. but grenades will most likely kill you instead of getting you the Dying status.
I rarely ever got damaged while being grabbed. I'm usually so fast to do the QTE that they let go almost immediately but you're right that is one of the few attacks that won't take you to red in pro.

Arrows have always taken me to red exploding or not. The game doe have that auto-adjust difficulty from RE4. Depending on how well you are doing the enemies may dish out more damage or take longer to kill. Maybe this might account for the slight differences in damage modifiers. What is for sure is the most common way of being damaged is a melee attack from a charging or jumping majini and those all most certainly do take you down to red every time on pro difficulty.

Who knows maybe that same auto difficulty adjustment may account for why Sheva can heal Kard8p3 in pro while other players Sheva will be slow or simply refuse to heal you at all letting you die while in the red. I hope that isn't the case because that would be an idiotic way to make the game more difficult for good players.

LiK

DenogginizerOS said:
Thanks. So, just to clarify, the framerate issues do NOT affect your enjoyment of the game and if you had only played the PS3 version, you would be satisfied?

nah, didn't ruin anything for me. i would be satisfied with either version. :)

Shaheed79 said:
I rarely ever got damaged while being grabbed. I'm usually so fast to do the QTE that they let go almost immediately but you're right that is one of the few attacks that won't take you to red in pro.

Arrows have always taken me to red exploding or not. The game doe have that auto-adjust difficulty from RE4. Depending on how well you are doing the enemies may dish out more damage or take longer to kill. Maybe this might account for the slight differences in damage modifiers. What is for sure is the most common way of being damaged is a melee attack from a charging or jumping majini and those all most certainly do take you down to red every time on pro difficulty.

Who knows maybe that same auto difficulty adjustment may account for why Sheva can heal Kard8p3 in pro while other players Sheva will be slow or simply refuse to heal you at all letting you die while in the red. I hope that isn't the case because that would be an idiotic way to make the game more difficult for good players.

yea, there's probably modifiers for the item drops cuz they seems to spawn just when you need them. not sure if the enemies or AI change depending on how well you do. altho ammo drops are pointless for me since i'm using infinite ammo guns. :D

dgenx

Nemesis556 said:
UMMM HEY GUISE JUST WONDERING WHY DID THEY MAKE TEH JILLZ HAIR BPLONDEZ?!?!

LOLOL DUNNOU TEH GAIM IZ BROKIN!!!11one!!

Returners

Well I have the guide and they did specifically say that the enemies only gun for you in Pro. Reactions are much quicker, so on and so forth.

Also, with Pro mode, once I shot once I just restart the checkpoint. Its so cheap that totally justifies me blowing away them with infinite magnum. :D

Speaking of which I was surprised to find out that you can unlock Pro mode without finishing Vet by joining a guy on Pro and getting to the end of that chapter. I was doing a speed run through Vet but now switching to Pro.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I need to give the PS3 version a rent one of these days.

Pojo

Banned
LiK said:
I'm totally with you! That's because the fundamentals are flawless. The feel of the game is perfect. If they changed the controls, it would turn it into just another 3rd person game.

It may just be me, but it feels so brutal compared to stuff like Gears (which is excellent in its own right)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
OriginX said:
Fixed.

You can't just play it once. I'm sorry. :(
Heh heh, I've played for over 40 hours on the 360 version, which I bought, and have basically 100%'d. =p

If you guys ever want a fun time in 5-3, when one person spawns the
lickers
, make them run back down to the other person so that they follow him. Send the person back up the elevator and repeat until all spawn.

That's what happened when my friend and I did a handgun only run (starting handgun, no upgrades). It was FUCKING CRAZY down there while he had to push the dumpster :lol

Top Bottom