• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Prime Blue said:
You read sarcasm into my post where there was none intended. I mean: Look at the pictures you posted! It's basically the same appearance, right down to the dress and the similar purses you noted earlier! Seeing how Paz Vega was the first woman on earth to have an updo and a dress with a deep neckline, I can definitely see Excella being modeled after her. Send it to IGN, I'm sure they'll make it a frontpage story.

OK, that will teach me to never, ever try to contribute to this board again (for the better, right?). I didn't even intend to convince anyone, as like I said I was just wondering whether the coincidences were casual, but I guess I don't know enough about woman fashion. Thank you.

Philanthropist said:
Sorry if this was brought before, but earlier today I saw this Paz Vega picture from an Elton John gala in February 2008. Excella was revealed in Famitsu at the end of 2008. I have to wonder whether the Capcom artists were inspired by her for Excella's appearance:

20jq0dl.jpg

That very same night she was also wearing a similar purse to Excella's as well. Slightly NSFW pic here.

Is this "videogame facts that blow your mind" thread worthy? :p

Oh wow, she is really beautiful.

Frester

Grimm Fandango said:
IIRC you can only get the ranking if you beat the chapter from start to finish. You can't skip any portion. You can save and quit but you must continue from where you left off.

Right, but will he even be able to join my game? Since (I think) professional only unlocks after you beat it on veteran. I'm not sure playing on professional -- my game or not -- will be available to him.

Frester said:
Right, but will he even be able to join my game? Since (I think) professional only unlocks after you beat it on veteran. I'm not sure playing on professional -- my game or not -- will be available to him.
You can definitely join. I recall people talking about joining a friend's Mercenaries game before unlocking mercenaries, and that's quite a step up past a simple difficulty change.

netguy503

I've played with people on pro who just started playing the game (hadn't even beaten a chapter yet). It counts for both, just make sure you invite him at the START of the chapter, not the middle. This is also cool as it is a VERY easy way to get your friends to platinum fast. I usually invite them with my infinite rocket launcher, magnum, both my vests, and use all other boxes in inventory to put in first aid spray's (I already 100% completed the game so I don't need money or treasures) and I'm set. Man, I love this game!:lol Anyone want to play with me?:D

Frester

RocketDarkness said:
You can definitely join. I recall people talking about joining a friend's Mercenaries game before unlocking mercenaries, and that's quite a step up past a simple difficulty change.

Good to hear. He beat it on normal when it came out (I was studying abroad) and now we want to do a professional run through, but he probably would've bailed if he had to beat it on veteran again beforehand.

No45

Can someone confirm that all I need to do to feel the benefit of either vest in the game is have it in one of Chris' nine slots? Seems daft that a wearable item would take a slot, but I just want to check that's the case.

Started skim searching a FAQ for the information, and have spoiled a part of the game for myself. :(

Zeona

Neo Member
No45 said:
Can someone confirm that all I need to do to feel the benefit of either vest in the game is have it in one of Chris' nine slots? Seems daft that a wearable item would take a slot, but I just want to check that's the case.

yes, just place it in his inventory.

Zenith

Banned
Prime Blue said:
Of course! Because, you know, the Japanese always draw their inspiration from unknown Western actresses.

given howe many Capcom characters are Tom Cruise-alikes I think it's safe to say they do get their inspiration from sifting through PR photoes.

-viper-

Banned
Jeff Stephen said:
I should mention that both the melee & bulletproof vests are completely useless on Professional.
No they aren't. They soak some some damage that would otherwise immediatly send you to dying status.

No45

Thanks guys, I'm just running through on normal at the moment so it'll be a while before I go to Professional (Unless I can skip Veteran?). Do I keep any bought/upgraded weapons on subsequent playthroughs?

No45

I'd assumed that was the case, thanks. Good thing too, I'm shit at this game. :lol

I suppose a larger inventory space is out of the question? I know you got access to a bigger case in RE4, but I assume that's not possible in RE5?

I'm at chapter 5-2 at the moment anyway, still enjoying the game. My only major complaint at the moment really is that the game doesn't seem to be building towards anything, daft as it sounds. I haven't really found any one area harder than the last at this point.

Valcryst

Neo Member
No45 said:
Thanks guys, I'm just running through on normal at the moment so it'll be a while before I go to Professional (Unless I can skip Veteran?). Do I keep any bought/upgraded weapons on subsequent playthroughs?

Yes you do, and unfortunately no larger inventory...the RE4 case was a great addition to the series, too bad they discarded it after just ONE title.

B-Dex

If anyone wants to do some Co-op on pro on the 360 please add my Gamertag: BDex.

It is the 2nd to last achievement I need! Excluding VS mode ones.

Man, I'm up to 120 hours on this game and I'm still nowhere near 100% done...Mercs is a godsend and five months later I still can't get enough. It's just ridiculous how high some scores are though...in duo Public Assembly I pulled out a 511,000 which I thought was pretty great, only to find out it barely ranks below 4000 in the leaderboards. fml

Trying to get all SS's in Mercs (Experimental Facility is my weakness, I suck ass in that stage. Damn stun rods) and S's in every single difficulty level in the campaign (though I doubt i'll be able to for Pro). Running through Veteran right now and getting an S for 5-3 is like the hardest thing ever going solo. Fricken Sheva is just ridiculously dumb during that fight. For the first 4 four chapters she was fine but it's like her brain suddenly explodes. I was seething. I can't imagine doing this in Pro, let alone trying to get an S for it. I think I might need a human partner soon enough.

Zozobra

Very LTTP on this one. I loved RE4 but I had steered clear of 5 up to this point because of all the hate it was getting. A friend and I rented it and have been playing couch co-op and WOW is this game ever fun (when playing local co-op)!

I don't think I'd have nearly as much fun with this game if I was playing single-player or even with someone else online. There's just something about being in the same room with your partner screaming at each other to shoot/run/heal as you're getting swarmed by Manjini that adds so much to the experience. :D

I was initially disappointed when I first found out that the standard RE control scheme was returning in this game, but really, once I got used to it again it wasn't bad at all. In fact, I think I prefer the controls as I feel that a Gears of War-esque control setup would have made this game too easy. Kills are just a lot more gratifying as a result.

This game really shouldn't have been part of the main RE series imo, they should have made this the first game in a more action-oriented side-series in the RE universe. It's a fantastic game in its own right, but I think it set it self up for undue criticism by being number 5 in the series. Here's hoping that 6 will return to more of a survival-horror type game, while they'll make additional action-oriented games in the style of this one.

My only real gripe is with the staggered split-screen, I hate that!

Zenith

Banned
Zozobra said:

Unfortunate necessity. The aspect ratio for each player needs to be the same. Zooming in until it fills the whole screen brings it too close the player model.

Zenith said:
LickerDeath.jpg
xp0ob5.gif

Okay, must get 3D monitor for this.

Baloonatic said:
I wonder how they'll balance it? Because you're going to die pretty quickly in a situation like that.
Assuming they do it like in RE4, where you can draw a bead on your enemy with the cursor before bringing up your weapon, that may be all you need. That and the increased accuracy a mouse affords you.

ruxtpin

Banned
I hate to feel like I'm bumping a thread for something so selfish, but I picked the 360 version at BestBuy last week and was wondering if there's anyone here still playing co-op in this on a regular basis? I want to finish off the campaign just once, by myself, to see the story all the way through.

Anyway... If anyone wants to PM me their username, or send a FR to: ruxtpin

It would be appreciated! I'm on during the week here and there too, never on the weekend (when I work.)

Almak

Cant watch the trailer on this crappy connection but what's up with all the lickers? Are they expending mercenaries or something for the PC release (I don't remember that from the SP)?

Almak said:
Cant watch the trailer on this crappy connection but what's up with all the lickers? Are they expending mercenaries or something for the PC release (I don't remember that from the SP)?

Yeah, there allowing for a fuckton more enemies on screen (not sure if its an option or always like that yet). Im guessing its similar to DMC4's mode where theres also loads more enemies.

Zozobra said:
It's kind of a pain, but if you are playing it on 360, if you set your 360 to full screen in the system settings, it will be a normal split screen. I would imagine you could probably do the same thing on PS3, but I don't know. I just switch back to widescreen when I'm done with local co-op.

-viper-

Banned
the_zombie_luke said:
It's kind of a pain, but if you are playing it on 360, if you set your 360 to full screen in the system settings, it will be a normal split screen. I would imagine you could probably do the same thing on PS3, but I don't know. I just switch back to widescreen when I'm done with local co-op.
got a pic of that?

WHen I played through this game on holiday we had to play on a SD widescreen tv, when set to widescreen we had the shitty cropped boxes but turning widescreen off on the 360 made the split screen just like other regular games, and no circles did not look like eggs or anything odd like that.

On a HD screen though you have to play in SD to make the split take the full screen up, looks yucky. (from my own experiance)

Is the 360/PS3 getting those new costumes? I'd be pretty disappointed if there was no DLC other than the multiplayer that was already on the disk.

-viper- said:
got a pic of that?
Yes. I had to set it to 480p which might be a deal breaker, but I don't care about HD for split screen games anyway. There's still some cropping but it's much easier to see than with the normal setup.
hx4289.jpg

Sectus

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-resident-evil-5-pc/17-1262/ - Gameplay video, shows the controls and everything. Also shows that Brad might actually be a rather stupid individual considers he couldn't figure out how to press C to quick turn, or how to heal Sheva (hint, look at the screen, Brad!).

Some observations:
The default control scheme is similar to type d from the console versions. There's a crosshair in the middle of the screen when aiming, and whenever you move the mouse the entire screen moves. You can turn around ridiculously fast with the mouse. Mouse also works in inventory screen and all the menus.

I paused through when they showed parts of the mouse/keyboard settings screen and noticed a few things:

You can bind the inventory quick-equip to the "d-pad" (probably the direction keys) similar to the console version. Or bind every inventory slot to its own key (default is 1-9).

The left/right movement keys is called "move/turn left" and "move/turn right" so it sounds like you can turn on tank controls for mouse/keyboard if you want.

There's keys you can bind for camera movement. Is that for all camera movements, or the camera you use in type a controls on the console versions? I guess really crazy people might be able to play the game using only the keyboard if they want.

You can quick turn by pressing back and run (similar to the console versions), or you can bind it to its own key (default is C)

Top choice for keyboard/mouse setting is called "control type" and the default is "mouse look" with the text "A traditional control scheme for players used to third-person shooters." What could the other choices be? Maybe Lost Planet-style with a crosshair which moves across the screen? Maybe with a laser sight? Something similar to "type a" controls from the console versions?

There's a key for "quick slash". Probably for doing one single attack with the knife.

You can reload the same way as in the console versions (aim+action button) or bind reload to one specific key.

The controller settings is for gamepads and has exactly the same choices as the console versions. Shows buttons and picture for 360 controller, hopefully it'll support other gamepads too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sectus said:
controller settings is for gamepads and has exactly the same choices as the console versions. Shows buttons and picture for 360 controller, hopefully it'll support other gamepads too.

360/PC cross-platform play, like Lost Planet: Colonies Edition? Please, Capcom? Also Achievements for GfW the same slot as the 360 version, please Capcom/MS?

Sectus

TheSeks said:
360/PC cross-platform play, like Lost Planet: Colonies Edition? Please, Capcom? Also Achievements for GfW the same slot as the 360 version, please Capcom/MS?
Achievement list is unique, and Capcom has confirmed there will be no crossplatform play for RE5.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sectus said:
Achievement list is unique, and Capcom has confirmed there will be no crossplatform play for RE5.

FAIL. I guess I have to triple dip now (and get a good/passable for Biohazard 5, PC).

Trailer: WANT. NEED. WANT. NEED. WANT. NEED. WANT. NEED. DO WANT to try the new merc mode.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sectus said:

Whoah....first Ive heard of that. Can you list the acheivement list if you have access to it? Im dying to see what's different from the 360 rev.

Also, do you or anyone else happen to know whether VS mode will be in at launch, or if not, is at least coming soon thereafter?

Insaniac

Dot50Cal said:
Ever wanted to see a video with nearly every death you could get in RE5? Well here you go. I managed to get 131 with the infuriating AI helping me up at the worst possible times. I had to split it into 3 parts for Youtube:

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7JzB9HX5Nk

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RWem1eSHdc

Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvsmMemBMh0

Hey so those parasites CAN bite your torso off. I alwasy figured that was what was supposd to happen but they censored it. I guess your health just needs to be low.

Sectus

isamu said:
Whoah....first Ive heard of that. Can you list the acheivement list if you have access to it? Im dying to see what's different from the 360 rev.

Also, do you or anyone else happen to know whether VS mode will be in at launch, or if not, is at least coming soon thereafter?
Oh, I don't have it myself. I've just been stalkerish with how I've been trying to get information about the game. Someone asked Capcom on their forums about the crossplatform play so that's how got to know that. I can't remember where I read or heard about the achievement list being unique, but it's something I've heard multiple times. And it's extremely common anyway for late PC ports which are GFWL to have their unique lists.

And by going by SF4, I'm gonna bet RE5's achievements list on PC will be nearly or 100% identical to the console versions. So an easy 1000 gamerscore if you like the game.

I have no idea about versus mode. It's a shame the giantbomb quick look didn't bother to just press play game once to show us that menu, because that's where the versus option would show up on consoles.

Sectus said:
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-resident-evil-5-pc/17-1262/ - Gameplay video, shows the controls and everything. Also shows that Brad might actually be a rather stupid individual considers he couldn't figure out how to press C to quick turn, or how to heal Sheva (hint, look at the screen, Brad!).

Some observations:
The default control scheme is similar to type d from the console versions. There's a crosshair in the middle of the screen when aiming, and whenever you move the mouse the entire screen moves. You can turn around ridiculously fast with the mouse. Mouse also works in inventory screen and all the menus.

I paused through when they showed parts of the mouse/keyboard settings screen and noticed a few things:

You can bind the inventory quick-equip to the "d-pad" (probably the direction keys) similar to the console version. Or bind every inventory slot to its own key (default is 1-9).

The left/right movement keys is called "move/turn left" and "move/turn right" so it sounds like you can turn on tank controls for mouse/keyboard if you want.

There's keys you can bind for camera movement. Is that for all camera movements, or the camera you use in type a controls on the console versions? I guess really crazy people might be able to play the game using only the keyboard if they want.

You can quick turn by pressing back and run (similar to the console versions), or you can bind it to its own key (default is C)

Top choice for keyboard/mouse setting is called "control type" and the default is "mouse look" with the text "A traditional control scheme for players used to third-person shooters." What could the other choices be? Maybe Lost Planet-style with a crosshair which moves across the screen? Maybe with a laser sight? Something similar to "type a" controls from the console versions?

There's a key for "quick slash". Probably for doing one single attack with the knife.

You can reload the same way as in the console versions (aim+action button) or bind reload to one specific key.

The controller settings is for gamepads and has exactly the same choices as the console versions. Shows buttons and picture for 360 controller, hopefully it'll support other gamepads too.

Man, that video was difficult to watch.

Thanks for the information though, hopefully we'll eventually get some videos from people who can play.

LiK

bah, my PC can't handle it. i'll need to pass and wait for it to go cheap before i splurge on it. PC game prices drop quick, thankfully.

Top Bottom