• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

MC Safety

Oh, hey...

My friend and I enjoy playing versus mode. Yesterday, we were playing against two lovable scamps the likes of which frequently inhabit Xbox Live...

One of them (or perhaps both -- they were both playing as Wesker) were abusing Evil's voice samples. You know: I need an herb, give me a first-aid spray, etc. They played the sound samples over and over again until it was more than annoying.

Does anyone know how they do this? I'm not asking because I want to replicate the feat.

Please advise. And thanks.

akilshohen said:
I hope if more DLC comes out, we got Felicia's costume as pictured in the blog post on Capcom's site.

What? They put Felicia's "custome" on someone? haha URL?

Edit: Ah, found it. Just a crappy Photoshop :( Let's see some real DLC Capcom!

JayDubya

Banned
3-2 on Veteran is kicking my ass. 3-1 was hard if you weren't willing to use the rocket launcher on those two huge maninji, but I certainly was, and about 5 incendiary grenades to boot.

I hate having to go back to previous levels for more ammo and money. It doesn't seem very Resident Evil-y. But I don't want to downgrade to Normal and I don't seem to have enough to kill all these chainsaw dudes that keep getting back up and pwning Sheva or Josh.

They don't get back up on Normal, either. :( Maybe I should use that magnum rather than hording its ammo...

ThirstyFly said:
What? They put Felicia's "custome" on someone? haha URL?

Edit: Ah, found it. Just a crappy Photoshop :( Let's see some real DLC Capcom!
but they're thinking of more DLC. I was just happy to see the photoshop on an official site.

Dyno

JayDubya said:
Maybe I should use that magnum rather than hording its ammo...

Uh yeah, the magnums are the sub-boss killers. Go to it and be sure to finish the level with an empty magnum so you can get free re-load when you upgrade magazine capacity.

Sectus

Super huge post time!

Thanks for those captures, GuardianE. I did some recording of 5-3 as well, although I was only able to see Jill go up to the railing once, and I had a rather bad angle when she went up there.

But first of all, I randomly noticed that the player character has a tendency to always look to his right when using the elevator in experimental facility. So I could use that to get the character to look righ at the camera and get some nice screenshots. So here's all the characters saying hi!
Comp10015612.jpg

Comp10013910.jpg

Comp10013406.jpg

Comp10011122.jpg

Comp10004619.jpg

Comp10004105.jpg

Comp10003804.jpg

Comp10001721.jpg

That elevator gave me another idea. That would be an easy way to see Jill and Wesker's idle animations since you can just stay inside the elevator without enemies attacking you. So here's some screenshots of that!
Comp30001218.jpg

Comp30005722.jpg

Comp30004519.jpg

Comp30041106.jpg

Jill closeup. I had no idea the textures were this high res. I want the PC version already darnit!

Gifs of Wesker's idle animations:
http://www.tzarsectus.com/videos/RE5/2009-05-24/Comp 2_17.gif
http://www.tzarsectus.com/videos/RE5/2009-05-24/Comp 2_18.gif

Speaking of Wesker. One of his random taunts in the 5-3 boss fight: http://www.tzarsectus.com/videos/RE5/2009-05-24/Comp 2_13.gif
Comp30025010.jpg

It's details like that which makes bosses and enemies in most Capcom games so much more interesting.

And now... time for Jill!

Gif and screenshots of Jill's animation where she sits on the railing: http://www.tzarsectus.com/videos/RE5/2009-05-24/Comp 2_7.gif
Comp30054325.jpg

Comp30054025.jpg

This is one animation I think looks rather neat, especially with that *hiss* sound she makes just as she looks at you: http://www.tzarsectus.com/videos/RE5/2009-05-24/Comp 2_12.gif
Comp30053319.jpg

Here's one rather random thing which happened. While I was zooming in with the sniper rifle, she aimed at me for about 20 seconds without actually firing: http://www.tzarsectus.com/videos/RE5/2009-05-24/Comp 2_2.gif
And of course, then she suddenly went crazy and killed me: http://www.tzarsectus.com/videos/RE5/2009-05-24/Comp 2_3.gif
Comp30022015.jpg

Comp30003129.jpg

Comp30022022.jpg

Some other random screenshots of the 5-3 bossfight.
Comp30010928.jpg

Comp30010224.jpg

Comp30010118.jpg

Comp30005927.jpg

Comp30005824.jpg

Comp30004103.jpg

And a bunch of other super pretty screenshots (and probably too many screenshots of Chris and Sheva thoughtfully staring at... something):
Comp30001724.jpg

Comp30000608.jpg

Comp20001210.jpg

Comp20001224.jpg

Comp20001508.jpg

Comp20001906.jpg

Comp20002027.jpg

Comp20002726.jpg

Comp20002913.jpg

Comp20003417.jpg

Comp20003601.jpg

Comp20004007.jpg

Comp20004013.jpg

Comp20004413.jpg

New mercs videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzIpQw0p1PQ&fmt=22 - Village 200k Wesker - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AxQIZoxLJY&fmt=22 - Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkyyLojyFMA&fmt=22 - Facility 133k Sheva
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc87dbGNZPg&fmt=22 - Public Assembly 118k Jill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6LILIDjmNI&fmt=22 - Ruins 108k Jill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLsdxnI4S3s&fmt=22 - Facility 200k Sheva (probably my best mercs run overall)

Coop mercs videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3WfOTTKaFk&fmt=22 - Village 216k Jill and Wesker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czfYF2L5D48&fmt=22 - Mines 152k Wesker and Jill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MASss9Trgm8&fmt=22 - Facility 135k Wesker and Sheva

And a random montage video I made which shows Josh doing the tag team combo and exploring some areas you usually can't access: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gxLK3HLGGI

Some screenshots of those areas. I'm pretty sure one of the trailer shows the player fighting in that one area with the crashed helicopter, although it's likely it was only ever meant to be used for a cutscene.
Comp10004128.jpg

Comp10010028-1.jpg

Comp10004919.jpg

Comp10004700.jpg

Comp10004125.jpg

Comp10003812.jpg

Comp10001819.jpg

Comp10002601.jpg

Comp10002423.jpg

Comp10003301.jpg

(I should probably bother to create thumbnails for the pictures, but, meh :p)

Zenith

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Basically, your comment was an insult to anyone who collects any sort of item.

Sorry, but I think it is rather stupid. Buying one for characters you like, ok. But buying every single one and not even taking them out the packet is silly. Do they even like figurines or is it just because it has the Resident Evil name on it? Like buying the NTSC, NTSC-J and PAL versions of every Resi game, it's pointless and goes past simple enthusiasm to OCD completionism. Most of the times there's no content difference. I doubt you'll even play each them all the way through. Why get it? A pointless waste.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sectus, you're my hero. :D

Goddamn this game looks beautiful. I'm still amazed every time I see a set of good screenshots. The work on the character models, in particular, is ridiculous. Awesome captures/screenies.

On another note, I'm still trying to get those "30 win" Versus achievements. The co-op campaign keeps distracting me. I'll never get them at this rate.

Erebus

Big props to Sectus! Amazing work dude, thanks for the screens/gifs.:D

Comp30041106.jpg

Just look at those eyes! They almost look real :O

Erebus

Gravijah said:
UGH, NOW I CAN'T UNSEE HER KINDA WEIRD LOOKING NOSE!

:lol
What's wrong with her nose? It looks normal to me.

Btw how did you manage to "bypass" the QTE-cutscenes in the helicopter crash area and on the cargo ship, Sectus?

Sectus

DarkUSS said:
:lol
What's wrong with her nose? It looks normal to me.

Btw how did you manage to "bypass" the QTE-cutscenes in the helicopter crash area and on the cargo ship, Sectus?
Well, it's kinda exploiting how the netcode works. Only the host can trigger certain events, for instance cutscenes. And I noticed that you weren't stopped by some invisible wall at the start of 6-2, but you couldn't move farther because the cutscene triggered. So what I did was play as client and move as close as possible to the cutscene trigger, and then tell the host to lose connection (it had to be abrupt, so the game couldn't send a "quit" message to the client. In this case the host simply unplugged his router). So after he lost connection, I could explore the area freely for about 30 seconds until the game timed out the connection.

Binabik15

Hey, my copy from play.com finally arrived after three weeks of waiting :/

I´m now in 2-2 and the dogs between the train wagons just eat ammo. But ammo isn´t dog food, dammit. But my knife also doesn´t seem to impress them. They feel a lot tougher than RE4 puppies, but then all enemies seem to have bazillions of hit points.

So, how do you kill the puppies good?

And those pics are really awesome, especially when viewed on the PS3, even though now I know that Jill will be back. Then again, I don´t vare about the story :lol

klee123

Hey guys, I'm tackling pro mode and I'm up to 2-3 against the boss and I'm having a lot of trouble. When he does the attacks where you can avoid with QTE buttons, it doesn't seem to always register. It there something wrong with my game, or was that intended?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
klee123 said:
Hey guys, I'm tackling pro mode and I'm up to 2-3 against the boss and I'm having a lot of trouble. When he does the attacks where you can avoid with QTE buttons, it doesn't seem to always register. It there something wrong with my game, or was that intended?
it always registered for me. if you're playing with a co-op buddy, they might be missing the cues, hence failing the QTE event

klee123

Rez said:
it always registered for me. if you're playing with a co-op buddy, they might be missing the cues, hence failing the QTE event

The thing is that I have no problems on Normal and Hard. It's only professional where the timing window feels so strict.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
klee123 said:
The thing is that I have no problems on Normal and Hard. It's only professional where the timing window feels so strict.
strange. I can't say for sure, but I don't remember the QTEs being any harder on Pro than on Hard or Normal. Might be a bug?

klee123

Rez said:
strange. I can't say for sure, but I don't remember the QTEs being any harder on Pro than on Hard or Normal. Might be a bug?

I'm playing the PS3 version, but other people on my friend's list have no problems. I might have a go playing solo.

Just got RE5, hopefully looking to play with someone who PREFERABLY hasn't gotten past 1-3 and has a mic. Any volunteers? I'm a RE Vet.

PM me or PSN me a message. (TheFrankman86)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I love Resident Evil, yet I only finally got around to playing RE4 when it was on Wii. I loved it sooo much. I was hyped about this, but I played the demo and completely hated it.

Is the demo a good show of what it's like, as IGN says?

ravien56

wow nice screens man, how did u end up taking them? also, they are pretty spoiler and go figure urs is the first post of the page :lol :lol

how the fuck did u not end up zooming in on some tits or ass? i salute u

Sectus

Dice said:
So I love Resident Evil, yet I only finally got around to playing RE4 when it was on Wii. I loved it sooo much. I was hyped about this, but I played the demo and completely hated it.

If you loved RE4, you will love RE5. Can you remember the village scene from RE4? Or the slow paced village parts of chapter 1/2 of RE4? Those play very very similar to the demo of RE5. But as with RE4, the entire game isn't like that. It's very varied, and there's no reason for you to dislike RE5 if you loved RE4 (unless you despise coop, in which case you'd be very silly).

ravien56 said:
wow nice screens man, how did u end up taking them? also, they are pretty spoiler and go figure urs is the first post of the page :lol :lol

how the fuck did u not end up zooming in on some tits or ass? i salute u
Using a stupidly expensive capture card. And bleh about spoilers. It's 3 months after the game's release date, if I wanna post pretty screenshots I will do so >:p

Dice said:

Demo doesn't show shit. The rest of the game is awesome compared to those parts. Trust me on this, this game is freakin' amazing. It improves on the shit done in RE4.

i'm at the end of chapter 5 and i'm just not feeling this game. i really wanted to go in and love the game. i hate to be one of those douchers that says "oh the game before it was much better wah wah wah", but this game is just not up to par. maybe if i went back and played RE 4 i'd feel the same (i finished the game 5 times; 3 times on GC and twice on PS2 but that was years ago), but i just can't take it anymore.

i'm contemplating whether i should even finish the game. it feels like a chore to play. i do love the graphics, probably the best looking game i own. the game also started off promising, but i don't know what happened.

maybe i have been spoiled by dead space, or maybe i went in expecting the wrong thing. this is like an action game with all the cheesiness and ridiculousness. i used to find that stuff appealing but it just doesn't work here.

i also miss the little things from RE 4 like combining treasures and that merchant guy.

i guess it's my own fault for wanting resident evil 4 part 2 and instead i got something that is similar on the surface but overall it just doesn't compare.

finally, is it just me or is this the easiest resident evil game ever? im not at the end yet but the boss battles are easy as shit and i think the only time i died was when the camera whipped around too fast and the chainsaw guy got me because i couldn't see where i was going.

p.s. how much longer do i have in the game? im on chapter 5 where you get the lift to go across and then that chick goes to the other side to bring you across too

rblaa

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'm at the end of chapter 5 and i'm just not feeling this game.

I think I know what you mean. I played RE4 to death, but I don't really have the energy to get into RE5 mercenaries, even if it does look absolutely gorgeous.

It's definitely worth it to finish RE5, I think. There are plenty of cool moments that you should experience if you are an RE fan at all.

But yes, RE4 was a superior experience.

I do confess that I have more fun playing RE: Umbrella Chronicles in terms of andrenaline and replayability.

Arghh so tough trying to find people to co-op with who are relatively new to RE5 like I am. I'm only up to 2-1 and I don't want to play w/ people who beat it because it ruins the newness and shock/suprise when you're exploring and you got a meathead yelling in your ear "Don't go that way I did this shit before you listen to me". *sigh* I need to keep searching I guess.

I FINALLY got Xbox Live again after a long time off, went with a new gamertag and everything, man it's nice to be on holidays. :D

I'm totally up for some mercs co-op action whenever I'm on.

Gamertag is AlkalineGold

Feel free to add me.

kuYuri

I got prompted for patch 1.03 on my PS3 version today. I looked it up and apparently it removes the copy protection for the save data. So you can finally copy and back up your save easily.

cvxfreak

Zenith said:
Sorry, but I think it is rather stupid. Buying one for characters you like, ok. But buying every single one and not even taking them out the packet is silly. Do they even like figurines or is it just because it has the Resident Evil name on it? Like buying the NTSC, NTSC-J and PAL versions of every Resi game, it's pointless and goes past simple enthusiasm to OCD completionism. Most of the times there's no content difference. I doubt you'll even play each them all the way through. Why get it? A pointless waste.

OCD? Clearly you've got an excellent grasp of medical science. I commend you. :D (I really am sorry, but I couldn't resist; that thread of brilliance is how I can remember you as a poster)

I collect RE games from different places because I love media packaging. Shows a difference in design preference, and it makes it easy to refer back to any version when necessary. And it's a cheap hobby. :D

Anyway, I voiced my disapproval earlier because Prime Blue spends tons of time translating RE stuff already translated and sensical because he has an obsession with the Japanese-driven narrative. I always sense a bit of irony when one side of the fandom belittles another. :D

Nemesis_

cvxfreak said:
I collect RE games from different places because I love media packaging. Shows a difference in design preference, and it makes it easy to refer back to any version when necessary. And it's a cheap hobby. :D
It's still pretty ridiculous to buy so many re-releases of Code Veronica for this "reason".

You can get the media / designs from the internet if you really wanted to, so am I lead to believe you collect spend this money just to own boxes of games?

LiK

Nemesis556 said:
It's still pretty ridiculous to buy so many re-releases of Code Veronica for this "reason".

You can get the media / designs from the internet if you really wanted to, so am I lead to believe you collect spend this money just to own boxes of games?

i understand his rationale, some people just want all the official stuff. it's like guys who buy variants for the same comic or DVDs but the only difference is the cover. to each they're own.

Nemesis_

LiK said:
i understand his rationale, some people just want all the official stuff. it's like guys who buy variants for the same comic or DVDs but the only difference is the cover. to each they're own.
I just think spending money for different box arts can be a little ridiculous but, as you said, each to their own I guess.

cvxfreak

Nemesis556 said:
I just think spending money for different box arts can be a little ridiculous but, as you said, each to their own I guess.

Not just different boxarts, but the differences each version of the game offers depending on the region (difficulty modes and language are the most important ones since I know Japanese).

I can understand the questioning of buying re-releases at budget prices, but that's the thing: it's budget priced. The differences work out to be pretty small in the grand context of things, but it's a cheap hobby and collecting RE games has never prevented me from buying any other game or product I've wanted. :D

So... no one else around here just started the game or is early in RE5? I wouldn't think 2-3 months after release date that people would be done with it already. After playing the first Chapter I think I get it... this game is going to be short. REAL short. Mind-numbingly short. And that's a goddamn shame, I'd trade in the improvements in the visuals in a second for RE4 (hell, even REC:VX)-type length.

The Frankman said:
So... no one else around here just started the game or is early in RE5? I wouldn't think 2-3 months after release date that people would be done with it already. After playing the first Chapter I think I get it... this game is going to be short. REAL short. Mind-numbingly short. And that's a goddamn shame, I'd trade in the improvements in the visuals in a second for RE4 (hell, even REC:VX)-type length.

Eh, it's not that short. Just imagine RE4 without the castle except with a longer Island and you have RE5's length. Which is still pretty long. RE5's length really isn't an issue.

_Alkaline_ said:
Eh, it's not that short. Just imagine RE4 without the castle except with a longer Island and you have RE5's length. Which is still pretty long. RE5's length really isn't an issue.
It's still too short, or at least very unevenly paced. I remember the struggle I had initially to beat Chapter 1 of RE4, and while I did have some "OMG WTF moments"
first Majini appearance
it felt wayyyy too short. If that continues to Chapter 2 I'm not going to like it, and from the non-spoiler elements I've rather have the length.

Oh btw, I really didn't like the Island in RE4. Crappy non-RE music after nailing the ambiance in the Village and Castle.

Sectus

The Frankman said:
It's still too short, or at least very unevenly paced. I remember the struggle I had initially to beat Chapter 1 of RE4, and while I did have some "OMG WTF moments"
first Majini appearance
it felt wayyyy too short. If that continues to Chapter 2 I'm not going to like it, and from the non-spoiler elements I've rather have the length.

Oh btw, I really didn't like the Island in RE4. Crappy non-RE music after nailing the ambiance in the Village and Castle.
Chapter 1 is the shortest chapter in the entire game. The game is shorter than RE4 overall, but not by much.

The Frankman said:
first Majini appearance

Well I spose there's a Castle-like area in the game. Not an actual castle, but you'll come across a new enemy type rather soon that's really, really cool.

And the Island (RE4) has a rather action-filled start but once you get inside it's probably the scariest area in the game.

Top Bottom