• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Sectus said:
No, you're just being furiously silly.

Unlike games like Killzone 2, RE5 actually has many different post processing filters. There's a few areas which may look desaturated, but the variation in different filters and environments is really big.

Here's your colours and atmosphere:
All in cutscenes. In gameplay, the filters aren't like that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Comp10020306.jpg

I am not worthy, oh lord Wesker.

Sectus

How About No said:
All in cutscenes. In gameplay, the filters aren't like that.
Maybe they're not exactly the same, but they're pretty darn similar. For instance, the last part of 2-2 has the exact same kind of look as the last screenshot I showed (of the cutscene before 6-1 starts). I'd show more gameplay screenshots, but it's just not as easy to get good screenshots of gameplay, the biggest reason being motion blur.

I could only find one gameplay screenshot of the 2-2 area I was talking about, and it isn't too flaterring as I'm just running towards an invisible wall here, but you can see it has a similar type of look. And a bunch of other gameplay screenshots which shows that the there's definitely many different post processing filter used and the general look of the game is very varied.
Comp10003521.jpg

Comp10023114.jpg

Comp10000114.jpg

Comp10091406.jpg

Comp10001819.jpg

Comp30001724.jpg

Sectus said:
Maybe they're not exactly the same, but they're pretty darn similar. For instance, the last part of 2-2 has the exact same kind of look as the last screenshot I showed (of the cutscene before 6-1 starts). I'd show more gameplay screenshots, but it's just not as easy to get good screenshots of gameplay, the biggest reason being motion blur.

I could only find one gameplay screenshot of the 2-2 area I was talking about, and it isn't too flaterring as I'm just running towards an invisible wall here, but you can see it has a similar type of look. And a bunch of other gameplay screenshots which shows that the there's definitely many different post processing filter used and the general look of the game is very varied.

Okay then maybe the filters weren't as present in the PS3 version. But either way, this is a pretty looking game, but you see something and move on. Where is the feeling of dread and mystery? No amount of color modifying can create that by itself. (that was what you were talking about right :x)

Sectus

How About No said:
Okay then maybe the filters weren't as present in the PS3 version. But either way, this is a pretty looking game, but you see something and move on. Where is the feeling of dread and mystery? No amount of color modifying can create that by itself. (that was what you were talking about right :x)
Well, I was mainly responding to luka who said the game was desaturated and had no atmosphere.

Regarding horror and dread, I agree the game has very little of that. Then again, I don't mind. I don't think the gameplay they've got set up now would work for traditional horror. There's some other type of atmospheres I do miss, like night time and more weather effects (like 2-1 from RE4). But if they're going to go for horror, I think they'd need to go back to REmake type gameplay too.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sectus said:
Well, I was mainly responding to luka who said the game was desaturated and had no atmosphere.

Regarding horror and dread, I agree the game has very little of that. Then again, I don't mind. I don't think the gameplay they've got set up now would work for traditional horror. There's some other type of atmospheres I do miss, like night time and more weather effects (like 2-1 from RE4). But if they're going to go for horror, I think they'd need to go back to REmake type gameplay too.

Well, in my comment I was mostly looking at the first couple levels in the town. Most of the time it looked like this:

140651-alt.jpg

Totally flat and devoid of color and contrast. It does get better and more interesting, for the most part, as you progress. My point was that they are trying to sell this as a real location, but it just doesn't fly with me. I see the unfiltered shots and they look much more believable. Going into more fantastical areas and situations, yeah, go nuts with the filters. Make it as foreboding as possible. But the flat and drab greenish hue of the first 3rd of the game is more boring than foreboding.

luka said:
Well, in my comment I was mostly looking at the first couple levels in the town. Most of the time it looked like this:

140651-alt.jpg

Totally flat and devoid of color and contrast. It does get better and more interesting, for the most part, as you progress. My point was that they are trying to sell this as a real location, but it just doesn't fly with me. I see the unfiltered shots and they look much more believable. Going into more fantastical areas and situations, yeah, go nuts with the filters. Make it as foreboding as possible. But the flat and drab greenish hue of the first 3rd of the game is more boring than foreboding.
Oh yeah, that part was ugly. 1-1 and 1-2 showed some great color and sunlight, but then you step back out at 2-1 and here comes the green overcast =/

It got better later in Chapter 2 in the sunset, but then back to drab for the entirety of chapter 3. I don't remember chapter 4 being much better. But 5 and 6 came around and had fuckawesome lighting.

LordK

The review says only 2 total new costumes (1 for sheva, 1 for chris), but Gamespot said it was supposed to come with 2 costumes for each.

The PC version will also ship with exclusive content in the form of four brand new clothing outfits--two for Chris and two for his companion Sheva

Sectus

Sectus

copybeaver said:
The review says only 2 total new costumes (1 for sheva, 1 for chris), but Gamespot said it was supposed to come with 2 costumes for each.
And PC Gamer says it's impossible to install the game. Some journalists simply aren't doing their job.

How About No said:
Oh yeah, that part was ugly. 1-1 and 1-2 showed some great color and sunlight, but then you step back out at 2-1 and here comes the green overcast =/

It got better later in Chapter 2 in the sunset, but then back to drab for the entirety of chapter 3. I don't remember chapter 4 being much better. But 5 and 6 came around and had fuckawesome lighting.

Eh, I thought Chapter 3 looked good. I was actually surprised at how good it looked considering it's mostly based on water and the first time (or second time, if you count the little creek in 1-1) you see water on the coastline with the ship in the distance was pretty ugly.

Plus Chapter 3 also has the oil refinery which looked great and showcased its amazing fire rendering.

Agreed about the majority of Chapter 2. 'Specially the train station area, I thought that part wasn't overly flash.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sectus said:
New mercs mode is singleplayer-only, boo!

You're shitting me right???

This *B**E**T**T**E**R* not be fucking true!!!!!!!!! I mean seriously....it just better not be.

There's no fucking way they'd gimp Mercs mode like that.

Sectus said:
New mercs mode is singleplayer-only

Noooooooooo. I knew they had to slip up somewhere. Maybe they couldn't get it to run smoothly with that many enemies?

At least the installation thing is cleared up.

kuYuri

So about that PC Gamer magazine part where they say the game can't be installed... for a second, I thought they were talking about Tray and Play, which is a feature that Halo 2 PC has. It essentially allows you to play Halo 2 immediately off the disc while the game installs in the background. At first I thought they were talking about that, but maybe they were just confused. Being that RE5 PC is GFW, I considered the possibility that it has the tray and play option.

To date, Halo 2 PC is the only GFW game that has Tray and Play.

Erebus

Eventually, it seems that the only new content for the PC version is the two new costumes (one for each character) and the 3x the enemy single-player only Mercenaries mode.

Kinda disappointing if you ask me, hopefully the mods will compensate us for the lack of extra content.

Sectus

Strider2K99 said:
So about that PC Gamer magazine part where they say the game can't be installed... for a second, I thought they were talking about Tray and Play, which is a feature that Halo 2 PC has. It essentially allows you to play Halo 2 immediately off the disc while the game installs in the background. At first I thought they were talking about that, but maybe they were just confused. Being that RE5 PC is GFW, I considered the possibility that it has the tray and play option.

To date, Halo 2 PC is the only GFW game that has Tray and Play.
What happened is explained on capcom forums. They had sent PC Gamer a review copy which didn't have an installer, and it came with documentation how to use it. I'm guessing they were supposed to directly copy over the game to harddrive or something but they didn't. There is no tray'n'play support in the game.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Zenith said:
Normal Mercs mode is online. The new triple enemy mode is not.

Ah. That's a relief. Sectus made it sound like there was no online play in ANY Mercs mode.

Baloonatic said:
According to the written IGN review, Versus mode isn't included AT ALL.

That was already established. But I am genuinely curious....what are the chances versus mode will eventually come to the PC? I mean, are Capcom really that stubborn?

It wouldnt surprise me if it was something silly like they didnt want to shuffle the achievements around to fit the Versus mode in (they can only do 1000 at release, right ?). Im guessing they either dont release it, or it becomes available on the GFW Live Marketplace for free/fee.

Dennis

Banned
Sectus said:
What happened is explained on capcom forums. They had sent PC Gamer a review copy which didn't have an installer, and it came with documentation how to use it. I'm guessing they were supposed to directly copy over the game to harddrive or something but they didn't. There is no tray'n'play support in the game.
That is a relief - would have sucked so hard...

CrankyJay

Banned
A few questions.

I'm about a chapter away from finishing the game...but...

What are those blue tokens you can shoot and then it fades into Chris' energy meter and Sheva's?

Also...it doesn't seem like you can combine treasures like you could in RE4. I remember finding stuff like crowns with openings for jewels, and if you were patient you could collect all the pieces and make a more valuable treasure. In fact, it seems like there is abundantly less treasure in this game than in 4.

I also really miss the carrying case. Half the fun for me was organizing my grid. But I guess the trade off is being able to see the weapons on your character's back.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
CrankyJay said:
A few questions.

I'm about a chapter away from finishing the game...but...

What are those blue tokens you can shoot and then it fades into Chris' energy meter and Sheva's?

Also...it doesn't seem like you can combine treasures like you could in RE4. I remember finding stuff like crowns with openings for jewels, and if you were patient you could collect all the pieces and make a more valuable treasure. In fact, it seems like there is abundantly less treasure in this game than in 4.

I also really miss the carrying case. Half the fun for me was organizing my grid. But I guess the trade off is being able to see the weapons on your character's back.

The blue tokens are actually BSAA Emblems that are hidden throughout the game. You can shoot them to collect them, and it doesn't matter who shoots them (if playing co-op you'll both get credit for finding them). Getting them all will unlock additional costumes for Sheva and Chris, as well as unlock Achievements/Trophies. Other than that, they serve no purpose.

No combine feature makes me a sad panda as well.

And no attache case ALSO makes me a sad panda.

RE5 is just a different kind of game.

Top Bottom