• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Anyone else suffer with this?

Have a 80gb PS3 which has given me no problems before. Updated to 3.0 when it came out and when I popped RE5 in the other night and continued my game (still yet to complete) everything was going fine until I got to the end of chapter 6-3 (Engine Room) and when I go through the doors you require the two keycards for I get the Now Loading screen which runs me through the History as usual but it never ends! It jus keeps looping and telling me the whole History. I left it for 10 minutes and just gave up as it obviously wasn't going to finish loading. I can go into my XMB and switch the console off fine but then I have to do the whole room again (tried 3x and just gave up in the end).

Anyone had this or any ideas how I can get around it?

zoukka

Finished the story a while ago. And it was retarded. And not in a good "funny" way :/

Boulder punching was the highlight of this game.

-Winnie-

I found the story to be pretty funny. All the characters seemed to be little children in adults bodies, and it was entertaining to hear their childish reactions to everything. Especially Chris. that guy was so lost.

zoukka

-Winnie- said:
I found the story to be pretty funny. All the characters seemed to be little children in adults bodies, and it was entertaining to hear their childish reactions to everything. Especially Chris. that guy was so lost.

Depends how long you can tolerate it. And the game really didn't have any surprises. Outside the black guy surviving.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
zoukka said:
Finished the story a while ago. And it was retarded. And not in a good "funny" way :/

Boulder punching was the highlight of this game.
Nah, RE5's still the best game this year.

Wesker adds to it.

Daigoro

i would like to buy this game on Steam, GFWL enabled, at $20.

please. thanks.

i havent played this game in ages. i gotta get back to it one of these days.

Dennis

Banned
The following screenshots are from the PC version (benchmark demo).
A mod has been used to remove the brown "next-gen filter" - it dosen't affect fps.

-Winnie-

zoukka said:
Depends how long you can tolerate it. And the game really didn't have any surprises. Outside the black guy surviving.

Haha, well I can see why somebody would find it painful, but I went in with virtually no expectations for story so I was entertained, albeit not in the way I'm assuming Capcom intended. :p

Ken Masters said:
If you beat the game, do all the guns and unlockables carry over the next time you play?

Yup.

Also, anyone heard that the PC version has a "play from disc" option ? Sounds like the games playable while the game installs.......

consoul

Wow. I really like the unfiltered look. I wish that had been an unlockable in the console versions. The sepia tone one is useless.

Sectus

Ogs said:
Yup.

Also, anyone heard that the PC version has a "play from disc" option ? Sounds like the games playable while the game installs.......
A quote from another forum:
"so I've been reading the PC Gamer Magazine review for RE5 PC (68% yikes!) and they say there is no install for Resident Evil 5. not even an optional install. it always reads from the disc.

they say this brings hellish loading times and the game lags when new audio effects load from the disc.

PC Gamer is a reputable magazine, so I don't see why they would lie, or how they could miss an install option."

... sounds like PC gamer thinks that's the *only* way to play the game.

consoul said:
Wow. I really like the unfiltered look. I wish that had been an unlockable in the console versions. The sepia tone one is useless.
I dunno, it looks like somethings missing...maybe keep the colors, but turn the contrast up and reenable the HDR and motion blur.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The game disc option is proably to make it like the console versions, install a minimal file for executable and run from disc everything else.

Interesting if true, given it'd be the first to do that. Also weird if it's the only option.

Also that filter remove is nice in the city, but it looks terrible in terms of bridges and doors. I think the art department at Capcom needs to slap Jun for ruining Biohazard fucking up the art with that terrible filter (but the other filters are WORSE).

Zenith

Banned
doesn't GFW requirements mean it'll install? and it'll still need to install the usual directx and 360 controller packages games always come with.

Sectus said:
A quote from another forum:
"so I've been reading the PC Gamer Magazine review for RE5 PC (68% yikes!) and they say there is no install for Resident Evil 5. not even an optional install. it always reads from the disc.

they say this brings hellish loading times and the game lags when new audio effects load from the disc.

PC Gamer is a reputable magazine, so I don't see why they would lie, or how they could miss an install option."

... sounds like PC gamer thinks that's the *only* way to play the game.

What the hell? That can't possibly be true, can it?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Philanthropist said:
Some kind of antipiracy measure? Which would be pointless and futile anyway.
Wont it be actually better for pirates? The game will run from a clone DVD/ISO for them, meaning effectively it will run from hard disk for them, so it will be even better!

ArjanN

Baloonatic said:
I can't find any information about that review on the internet. Is PC Gamer UK only? If so I can go find a copy and see what it says.

It's from a swedish magazine I think.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/resident-evil-5---no-install--/914643

I'd wait for confimation about this before jumping to any conclusions.

Baloonatic said:
What the hell? That can't possibly be true, can it?

Well, as long as the game is coming to Steam it's irrelevant anyway.

Which is why it's a little worrying it's not announced on Steam yet. On the capcom-unity forums Sven said 'stay tuned' and that they're were still in negotiations about the Steam version. Hopefully it won't be like Bionic Commando Rearmed, I want this day 1 on Steam.

ArjanN said:
It's from a swedish magazine I think.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/resident-evil-5---no-install--/914643

I'd wait for confimation about this before jumping to any conclusions.

Well, as long as the game is coming to Steam it's irrelevant anyway.

Which is why it's a little worrying it's not announced on Steam yet. On the capcom-unity forums Sven said 'stay tuned' and that they're were still in negotiations about the Steam version. Hopefully it won't be like Bionic Commando Rearmed, I want this day 1 on Steam.

Apparently they were releasing Steam PC codes for Resi 5 at the PAX launch party thing, so yeah its surely coming on Steam day 1 :).

Just seems really bizarre to me. They couldn't possibly think that it would prevent piracy. Maybe I should ask on the Capcom forums?

Actually, after reading that thread it seems more likely that it's just so you can play it off the disk while it installs. I'm sure I remember seeing something like "7 GB required" on the system requirements.

Sectus

Baloonatic said:
Just seems really bizarre to me. They couldn't possibly think that it would prevent piracy. Maybe I should ask on the Capcom forums?

Actually, after reading that thread it seems more likely that it's just so you can play it off the disk while it installs. I'm sure I remember seeing something like "7 GB required" on the system requirements.
I already made a thread about it on "ask capcom" forums. No response so far.

And you're right, the minimum requirements lists "8gb harddrive space".

I'm a bit annoyed that the general release of this is so poorly handled by both Capcom and the press. The only PC trailer released shows MASSIVE spoilers, and focus too much on the 3x enemies in mercs and the new outfits. PC gamers who are new to RE5 aren't getting a very good first impression. I really really wanna pre-order the game but I don't have many options in that regard. It's not on steam or impulse yet (not even announced for those services) and I barely find any stores which lists the game in my country.

And finding information in general is extremely hard... I really wanna know the details of the controls but there's no preview which explains them and there's no response from Capcom directly. Giantbomb is the only site to have an indepth video preview (and the only site to have a recent preview at all), but they spend half of the time dicking around, dying and not showing much of the options and controls. I also got a bad feeling the reviews will be similar to something like DMC4 PC. Despite being the superior version, reviews will look at this as an opportunity to start complaining about the bad sides of the game and rate it much lower.

Diablohead said:
So tempted to double dip for the pc version, you just know that some cool mods will appear, and that I want to fight 40 lickers at once!

I wonder if it would be possible to change who you play as in single player.

Erebus

Ogs said:
Chris nude skin FTW :D

Wait wut ?
:lol :lol

140651-alt.jpg

Baloonatic said:
I wonder if it would be possible to change who you play as in single player.
x10 the amount of enemies, someone will find a way :lol

I wonder if the texture mods will turn the foes into resident evil 1-2-3 zombies...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
DennisK4 said:

Holy crap! The trees are green...and the sky is blue! It's almost like real life!!!
Seriously, you can say grey trees and yellow sky makes it more atmospheric, but come on. The game had no atmosphere. It wasn't scary, it wasn't interesting. It was just dry and completely unremarkable, despite the amazing textures, models and animations. The natural color only makes good aspects of the game stand out more. RE 2, 3, and even 4 had plenty of color as well. The desaturated look worked for killzone 2, for example, because that game had a remarkable art direction that complimented it.

EDIT: Despite what I say I still love the game, albeit not as much as 4.

It's hard for my eyes to adjust to the un-brown look of those screens, in a way I both love it and hate it, but it's cool anyway :D

I think if I was going to replay this on pc, I would take that brown filter off just to be different.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Diablohead said:
It's hard for my eyes to adjust to the un-brown look of those screens, in a way I both love it and hate it, but it's cool anyway :D

I think if I was going to replay this on pc, I would take that brown filter off just to be different.

I may have missed it, but was this ever mentioned to be an official option, or just a user made modification?

luka said:
I may have missed it, but was this ever mentioned to be an official option, or just a user made modification?
I believe someone just found a way to disable the filter in the benchmark demo. By hacking/editing/ini file? dunno

Dennis

Banned
Diablohead said:
I believe someone just found a way to disable the filter in the benchmark demo. By hacking/editing/ini file? dunno
I posted those shots with the mod, but I don't know yet if it will work on the full game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
No atmosphere :lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Did we play the same game?

No, really?

We probably just have a different definition of the word. Atmosphere means more to me than just making something look moody and dark. As much as I liked the game, I just didn't feel captivated or interested in the world it was presenting me. It was totally bland and uninspired through and through. The de-unsaturated shots look more like the kind of real world place the game is trying to depict and would be that much more effective.
They originally presented the game like that, on the concept of overbearing contrast to create tension, and the early trailers looked fantastic because they had a lot of color and a lot of overexposed light and darkness. The final game seems to have abandoned this and just chose to suck the color out of the world instead and it just ended up looking flat and boring.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
luka said:
We probably just have a different definition of the word. Atmosphere means more to me than just making something look moody and dark. As much as I liked the game, I just didn't feel captivated or interested in the world it was presenting me. It was totally bland and uninspired through and through. The de-unsaturated shots look more like the kind of real world place the game is trying to depict and would be that much more effective.
They originally presented the game like that, on the concept of overbearing contrast to create tension, and the early trailers looked fantastic because they had a lot of color and a lot of overexposed light and darkness. The final game seems to have abandoned this and just chose to suck the color out of the world instead and it just ended up looking flat and boring.

You crazy, mayne.

the_zombie_luke said:
Yes. I had to set it to 480p which might be a deal breaker, but I don't care about HD for split screen games anyway. There's still some cropping but it's much easier to see than with the normal setup.
hx4289.jpg
:O

I suddenly have the urge to do splitscreen co-op with a friend. Please tell me it works on the PS3!

Sectus

luka said:
I'm just ahead of the curve my friend.
No, you're just being furiously silly.

Unlike games like Killzone 2, RE5 actually has many different post processing filters. There's a few areas which may look desaturated, but the variation in different filters and environments is really big.

Here's your colours and atmosphere:
Comp10005029.jpg

Comp10020306.jpg

Comp10020122.jpg

Comp20002726.jpg

Top Bottom