• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Ceebs

plagiarize said:
i'm using bluetooth to connect the wii remote and glove pie to set up the controls just like they were in RE4 Wii, unfortunately even though i can move the mouse in all the menus (even the ingame inventory one) i can't move the aiming cursor. it jumps to where ever the pointer was when you leave the in game inventory menu... but hmmn. i'm hoping there's a way to get it to work still... cause the wii controls are perfect for RE4/5.

The cursor only shows up with mouse controls when you hold down the right mouse button. It may be obvious, but did you try binding the aim to a wiimote button to hold down while you point?

Ceebs said:
The cursor only shows up with mouse controls when you hold down the right mouse button. It may be obvious, but did you try binding the aim to a wiimote button to hold down while you point?
yeah... and the cursor is visible the whole time on my PC (apart from when it's hiding behind something it shouldn't like Chris's hair) whether i'm 'aiming' or not. same as it was in the wii version.

i've got the cursor set to floating hoping to ape the Wii set up.

Ceebs

AsylumBlue said:
This only happens in dx9 mode, and believe it or not, it's caused by having v-sync on. Disable v-sync, turn the game off, then try it again. I guarantee it'll load up a lot faster. Dx10 doesn't even have a loading bar, it just starts up automatically.
I am getting it with the V-sync off (forcing it through D3DOverider). I'll try booting DX10 mode to see if that is the culprit.

Edit: The bar seems to be just DX9 related. Same settings in DX10 and it booted straight to the menu.

Ceebs said:
I am getting it with the V-sync off (forcing it through D3DOverider). I'll try booting DX10 mode to see if that is the culprit.

Edit: The bar seems to be just DX9 related. Same settings in DX10 and it booted straight to the menu.

That sucks. The loading bar is really annoying me but even with the latest ATI drivers the benchmark still dropped to 20fps in the third area so I can't really use DX10.

Ogs said:
So whose picked this up retail ? Whats that funky cover like ?
it's a 3D lenticular with two scenes depending on how you look at it. from a bit to either side it's the regular cover of Chris and Sheva back to back, from head on it's the chainsaw Majini with the bag over his head with the chainsaw pointing right at you.

it's just stuck to the front of the case with that plasticky gummy glue stuff that they stick things on magazine covers with. i took mine off and i'm trying to think of where to put it, cause it's kind of cool.

I thought we were mant to get a steel box in Europe but it's just normal packaging :(

Anyway, No Mercy mode is honestly mental. I got 150,000 points on my first go (I'm out of practice) and got an A rank. I don't know what the proper score boundaries are yet. It really is disappointing that it's single player only, with co-op it could have been one of the funnest things ever. I wonder what their reasoning for it is.

CrankyJay

Banned
I have some questions for the trophy/achievement junkies on this one...

1. Any tips for getting the "Be the Knife" trophy? Difficulty setting, location, etc? What exactly do you have to do? Deflect a crossbow bolt? Or can you deflect an axe with the knife?

2. Has anyone actually gotten the trophy where you get a headshot with the enemy jumping mid air? Are they serious on this one?

3. What scene can you kill a driver in the armored car? Is it during
the part where you and Sheva are on the back of the hummer shooting guns?

4. How do you get the back to back to back combos? I shoot an enemy in the arm to start the Hook, but I never get the option for another attack. Do I have to shoot the enemy in the specific place between each physical attack and that is the combo?

Thank you!

CrankyJay said:

1. Any tips for getting the "Be the Knife" trophy? Difficulty setting, location, etc? What exactly do you have to do? Deflect a crossbow bolt? Or can you deflect an axe with the knife?

2. Has anyone actually gotten the trophy where you get a headshot with the enemy jumping mid air? Are they serious on this one?

4. How do you get the back to back to back combos? I shoot an enemy in the arm to start the Hook, but I never get the option for another attack. Do I have to shoot the enemy in the specific place between each physical attack and that is the combo?

Thank you!

With #2, it's easier than it sounds. I went to Public Assembly and waited for the enemies to drop until I got the trophy.

3. Yes, and it's a bit tricky too because you really got to look out for that person.

4. You might be doing this already, but you and your partner need to sandwich an enemy, and one of you will start the combo. So basically you are tossing the enemy back and forth through your combo, which results in some special moves for both characters.

CrankyJay

Banned
Ah, I must not have read the document for the triple combo closely enough. I'm guessing that is why they picture Sheva in the second picture. I didn't pick on that they were both involved in that. Very cool. Thanks.

Stuneseht

CrankyJay said:

Thank you!

The part where you have to protect the army guy so he can activate the elevator. once you get on the elvator and arrive on the second level, take the latter up. Once your there- just before another set of latters; toward's your right, there will be a little area where you can stand. 3 guy's will come out - just across from you, and shoot arrows at you. Just time your swings of you knife correctly and you should get it.

this one is real easy, go to the area where the alligator jumps up and eats a man. this is the same area where you have to dodge alligators while on a tiny raft. use the shot gun and aim towards the head just as they jump over the gap.

3. yes, your correct

4. this is easier to do with a co-op partner.

USD

CrankyJay said:

Thank you!
This is how I do it, there are plenty of ways to do 1 and 2,
1. You should be able to do on any difficulty fairly easy (other than Professional) as long as you have the bulletproof vest on. I did it in 2-1, at he section after you jump across the damaged bridge and have the truck charging you. Right after the truck, a bunch of enemies should charge you. Kill all the enemies but one archer, stand back, and try to hit, it, adjust distance if necessary.

2. Play as BSAA Jill in The Mercenaries (if you have beaten the game, and have her unlocked). Using her handgun. Move to some location that requires enemies to jump across a gap (I did it on Public Assembly, on the roof of the building next to the scaffolding).

3. Yes.

4. It's easiest to do it while playing another player. The basic idea is to ping-pong an enemy with melee attacks.

1. Shoot the enemy in the arm (make sure it's actually stunned by it, i.e. grabbing its arm)
2. Hit it with a melee attack
3. Have your partner hit it with another melee attack (make sure if you hit the enemy from the front, your partner hits it in the back, or vice versa)
4. Hit the enemy with the one last melee.

CrankyJay said:
Gah. Time to get a friend over for this.

I didn't realize you could get trophies in Mercenaries. Cool!

hey it is still possible to get the combo trophy by yourself. AI can be surprisingly responsive at times, especially with combos.

CrankyJay

Banned
Has anyone completed the game playing as Sheva? I find that Chris is often in my view when trying to shoot an enemy, it's annoying, but I figure you need to play as her to get some trophies
such as the gatling gun on the back of the hummer and maybe some treasures where assist jump is used
, is this safe to assume?

Curufinwe said:
I just started playing the PC version using a 360 pad.

Did most people who played it on the consoles use Control type D?
I used B because I hate the right analog stick and wanted to avoid it as much as possible.

Sectus

Baloonatic said:
Holy shit, the bow has a crosshair :lol Makes things a bit easier.
Gah, that sucks! I liked how the bow had no sights whatsoever. I think I'll just be sticking to gamepad controls even though I'll lose any competitive edge for mercenaries.

Diablohead said:
I ended up using default for the 360 version, is the default pc pad setup the same?
Yes, type d is default for consoles and PC versions. Unless you're in Japan, then it defaults to type a.

Curufinwe said:
I just started playing the PC version using a 360 pad.

Did most people who played it on the consoles use Control type D?
I used type a, that's the control scheme I like the most.

Sectus said:
Gah, that sucks! I liked how the bow had no sights whatsoever. I think I'll just be sticking to gamepad controls even though I'll lose any competitive edge for mercenaries.

Not sure if I could go back to gamepad aiming, popping heads as Jill in Mercenaries is such a breeze with a mouse.

Is it possible to get other characters working in single player? Like Battle Suit Jill.

Sectus

Baloonatic said:
Not sure if I could go back to gamepad aiming, popping heads as Jill in Mercenaries is such a breeze with a mouse.

Is it possible to get other characters working in single player? Like Battle Suit Jill.
The mod I had setup would easily allow for Wesker STARS and Jill Battlesuit instead of Wesker midnight and Jill BSAA. I'm trying to fix bugs in general for that mod. Like Jill is lefthanded no matter what, and I can't get male characters replaced by female characters and the other way around. I had a bug with cutscenes not showing properly but I almost fixed that now, just need to find one more animation file.

I got a huge setback yesterday with my graphics card exploding. And bleh, I haven't even had time to sit down and play the PC version and finish it. I'm only up to 2-1.

Sectus said:
The mod I had setup would easily allow for Wesker STARS and Jill Battlesuit instead of Wesker midnight and Jill BSAA. I'm trying to fix bugs in general for that mod. Like Jill is lefthanded no matter what, and I can't get male characters replaced by female characters and the other way around. I had a bug with cutscenes not showing properly but I almost fixed that now, just need to find one more animation file.

I got a huge setback yesterday with my graphics card exploding. And bleh, I haven't even had time to sit down and play the PC version and finish it. I'm only up to 2-1.

That sucks :( Keep us updated though, your work is appreciated.

And I know I'm whining about it but why the hell isn't No Mercy co-op enabled?! Arghhh.

Ceebs

Just finished the PC version's single player. I have no idea what all the complaining was about on GAF about this game. Other than some awkward co-op AI the game was a blast from start to finish. Also: Business suit Sheva is awesome.

Sectus said:

Yes, type d is default for consoles and PC versions. Unless you're in Japan, then it defaults to type a.

I used type a, that's the control scheme I like the most.
i used A too. D is pretty much useless to be honest, cause you still have to steer the same way when running, and it's not like you're walking around that often.

Wii controls remain the best over all though... but i'll probably play floating cursor mouse and keys on the PC version when i'm not playing on my tv if i can't get them working.

LiK

Ceebs said:
Just finished the PC version's single player. I have no idea what all the complaining was about on GAF about this game. Other than some awkward co-op AI the game was a blast from start to finish. Also: Business suit Sheva is awesome.

indeed, RE5 was awesome. glad to see this thread resurrected now that the PC version is out. i can gush about it all over again :D

GWX

This game is really good, playing the PC version here. I loved RE4, and this is coming close.
Hoping to finish it soon, also playing Guerrilla and Batman, so it's gonna take a little while :D

Is anyone with an ATI card running this at a decent framerate on DX10? I'm still getting the same performance I was with the benchmark even with the latest Catalyst drivers. DX9 mode is awful, you have to tolerate a 90 second load time every time you first load up the game or alt-tab out.

Sectus said:
07ed7e4c494e5d5af84cb16d9fa308c222b4f7c0.jpg
The RE5 engine still amazes me with it's lighting and visuals, and that it runs so damn well on a pc.

CrankyJay

Banned
I have all 4 types of eggs equiped to Chris and it won't give me the trophy for the eggs. Do I have to finish the level and put them in my inventory or something?

Lince

Banned
so can you cap the retail PC version to 30 fps? the benchmark demo had the option but never got it to work. Even though I can run it at locked 60 fps 720p I'd love to try an insane amount of AA/AF @1080p 30 fps.

djkimothy

CrankyJay said:
I have all 4 types of eggs equiped to Chris and it won't give me the trophy for the eggs. Do I have to finish the level and put them in my inventory or something?

I thnk so, quit and save the game. Then place it in your inventory and you'll get the trophy. How I did it anyways.

That trophy is so annoying. Before it took forever to get a rotten egg, now I seem to be collecting it non stop. :/

Will my scores be uploaded to the leaderboards if I'm not connected to GFWL? I want to freeze the No Mercy timer with a trainer and see how long I last, but I don't want to fuck up the leaderboards for people who are playing properly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Baloonatic said:
Is anyone with an ATI card running this at a decent framerate on DX10? I'm still getting the same performance I was with the benchmark even with the latest Catalyst drivers. DX9 mode is awful, you have to tolerate a 90 second load time every time you first load up the game or alt-tab out.

Runs great here and loads extremely quickly with a 4870 1GB. I haven't tried DX9 mode, but I get a perfectly smooth framerate in DX10 with max settings, 1920x1200.

Zoc

So, is the "floating mouse" control scheme described earlier in this thread anything like the RE4 Wii control scheme, or what? I've read and watched as many reviews as I could find, but I still can't figure out what it is, or how it's different from the regular keyboard and mouse control scheme.

Any PC gamers here with the game that could enlighten me?

Top Bottom