• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Sectus

DarkUSS said:
I need to know how you do this! :lol
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=9687&st=0#entry5018073 - More info here. Although I'm not sure if I would recommend the mod in its current state. There's some rather big bugs regarding cutscenes and animations.

Baloonatic said:
Oh yeah Sectus, can you let me know if you find out a way of getting the Samurai Edge into the single player?
Hmm, in theory it shouldn't be too hard to replace one of the pistol models with the Samurai Edge (in theory anyway). I can try to do that later. The only problem would be to figure out which file contains the samurai edge model.

I was gonna pick this up today, but it occurred to me that I have zero time to spend on it, so I might as well wait 'til it has a sales weekend sometime in the next couple of months. Until then, I will eye it hungrily.

USD said:
So Capcom give them voiced lines for actions that are only relevant when playing with AI (telling your partner to pick up an item, being healed by your AI partner). Makes me wonder why they didn't just throw it in officially, a la Vergil in DMC3:SE, even if it doesn't make sense storywise. Either that or a side story.
Those sound bites are present in Mercenaries, if I remember correctly.

Sectus

MicVlaD said:
Those sound bites are present in Mercenaries, if I remember correctly.
They're not. You can only hear them if the other player is controlled by AI. There's also some other things you would only hear in story mode, like Wesker waiting for a coop action and shouting "Hurry!"

It's hard to tell why there's so much unused dialogue. Maybe Capcom wasn't sure if there'd be an AI teammate in mercs or if they'd allow for the player to use Wesker and Jill in story mode.

Zenith

Banned
Sectus said:
They're not. You can only hear them if the other player is controlled by AI. There's also some other things you would only hear in story mode, like Wesker waiting for a coop action and shouting "Hurry!"

It's hard to tell why there's so much unused dialogue. Maybe Capcom wasn't sure if there'd be an AI teammate in mercs or if they'd allow for the player to use Wesker and Jill in story mode.

No, they're definitely in Mercenaries. I've heard it a 100 times before. It's not unused.

Sectus

Zenith said:
No, they're definitely in Mercenaries. I've heard it a 100 times before. It's not unused.
So you've heard Wesker say these things in mercenares?
"Pick that up!"
"Hurry!"
"Don't get sloppy!"
"Be more careful!"
"Don't be so careless."
"You may have it."
(or any of Jill's equilevants)

If so, you're either lying, remembering incorrectly, or found some function no one else has found yet. If you're completley sure, I'd like to know the specific type situation you can hear any of that dialogue.

Sectus said:
"Pick that up!"
"Hurry!"
"Don't get sloppy!"
"Be more careful!"
"Don't be so careless."
"You may have it."

If so, you're either lying, remembering incorrectly, or found some function no one else has found yet. If you're completley sure, I'd like to know the specific type situation you can hear any of that dialogue.

I've heard a few of those, they're trigged by (on the X360) the context sensitive B presses. If you press B when in Danger mode, Wesker will shout out "HURRY!" to your partner. "Be more careful!" / "Don't get sloppy" is when you help your partner too, if I remember right.

I'm not sure of the others (Can you tell your partner to pick up items in Mercenaries? It's been a while since I played it), and I remember hearing at least one more that you didn't list. "You may have it" might be what you say in response to someone requesting an item from you. There is a surprising amount of lines that play if you press B at the right moment, you can even compliment your partner on headshots (though the timing for it is impossibly short).

Zenith

Banned
Sectus said:
"Pick that up!"
"Hurry!"
"Don't get sloppy!"
"Be more careful!"
"Don't be so careless."
"You may have it."

It's called Mercenaries co-op.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czfYF2L5D48&#t=4m26s

Dimwit.

USD

Zenith said:

It's called Mercenaries co-op.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czfYF2L5D48&#t=4m26s

Dimwit.
That's not one of them. There are specific commands/reactions that you can only use when playing with the AI. Unless there is some new addition to the PC version, there is available command to tell a human partner to pick up ammo. When you heal a human player, there is no voiced line paired with it, but there is when playing with an AI partner.

The "thanks," "help me," etc. lines are always available within their normal contexts, regardless of who you're playing with.

Cerberus

Some of the lines from Mercenaries carried over to the story mode, but the lines that Sectus specifically quoted in his post aren't in Mercenaries.

USD

The Alchemist Penguin said:
I've heard a few of those, they're trigged by (on the X360) the context sensitive B presses. If you press B when in Danger mode, Wesker will shout out "HURRY!" to your partner. "Be more careful!" / "Don't get sloppy" is when you help your partner too, if I remember right.

I'm not sure of the others (Can you tell your partner to pick up items in Mercenaries? It's been a while since I played it), and I remember hearing at least one more that you didn't list. "You may have it" might be what you say in response to someone requesting an item from you. There is a surprising amount of lines that play if you press B at the right moment, you can even compliment your partner on headshots (though the timing for it is impossibly short).
When Wesker is dying he either says "You failed me!" or "How is this possible?!"

EDIT: Oh Danger mode, oh well, Sectus got it covered below ("Your assistance is required!" to be exact :p).

The "Hurry! (and help me open this door)" line can only be used in story mode (with or without an AI partner), as there are no doors/devices that require two players to operate in Mercenaries/Versus. All the other lines are character-specific variations of either "pick up this item" (player-issued command to AI) or "I just healed you, stop fucking up" (AI only).

I played this game way too much to not know this stuff. :lol

Sectus

The Alchemist Penguin said:

Pressing B while being grabbed will make the character say something like "Help!" or "I require your assistance!", not "Hurry!". "Be more careful" is something only the AI can say, players can't trigger it.

I'm not trying to be rude here. I've just played the game a stupid amount of time, and I've extracted all the audio to check what is unused so I think I have a fair idea. I've also experimented a bit to see if you can trigger any of them (like telling your partner to pick up items, which is impossible unless you're playing with AI).

There's even recorded dialogue for Chris and Sheva which is unused.

i'd have it already if my Gamestop had known they had it for sale when i paid my pre-order off in full today :(

either way, can't wait to play it, in 3D no less.

i'm going to try and put together a glove pie script to give it RE4 Wii style controls. i'm not wrong in thinking that mouse and keys works kind of like RE4 Wii did with a floating crosshair rather than the laser site am i?

ArjanN

plagiarize said:
i'm going to try and put together a glove pie script to give it RE4 Wii style controls. i'm not wrong in thinking that mouse and keys works kind of like RE4 Wii did with a floating crosshair rather than the laser site am i?

There are two types of keyboard & mouse control setups in the PC version, and one of them is a Wii-style floating crosshair.

ArjanN said:
There are two types of keyboard & mouse control setups in the PC version, and one of them is a Wii-style floating crosshair.
awesome. Wii controls + 60 FPS + 3D or 1080p and PC IQ if you prefer.

wish i had $600 for the 3D setup. probably going to have to wait until next year though now... ho hum... anaglyph in the meantime will do.

Probably just me, but doing the context sensitive dodge moves quickly enough is annoying on a keyboard. They should have made them just use one key.

Sectus

RE5DX92009-09-1606-37-13-60.jpg

RE5DX92009-09-1606-40-03-06.jpg

RE5DX92009-09-1606-35-47-96.jpg

Plain clothing for Chris and Sheva, wootz! Download the mod here: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=9700

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The game really does look incredible and runs on lower end systems very well to boot. All Capcom needs to do is add Novint Falcon support and they'll be in the running for my favorite PC dev.

Well, that and release the goddamn games on time :lol

Ceebs

Yeah just got my copy today and powered through to the end of 3-3 so far. The game looks and runs great and keeps 60fps even with a healthy dose of AA. I really like the on the fly control type changes. If I get to a section I want to snipe I just grab the mouse for mouse aim, then go back to the 360 pad when done.

I do wish devs would keep aspects that promote multiplayer out of my single player modes. I swear Sheva has wasted so much ammo. Maybe there will be an AI mod of some sort for her later on.

Ceebs said:
Yeah just got my copy today and powered through to the end of 3-3 so far. The game looks and runs great and keeps 60fps even with a healthy dose of AA. I really like the on the fly control type changes. If I get to a section I want to snipe I just grab the mouse for mouse aim, then go back to the 360 pad when done.

I do wish devs would keep aspects that promote multiplayer out of my single player modes. I swear Sheva has wasted so much ammo. Maybe there will be an AI mod of some sort for her later on.
One thing I loved about REzero was telling your partner to hold back on shooting, for Shiva I just gave her a pistol and limited ammo then did all the fights myself most of the time :lol I also played most of the game in co-op so that helps.

Oreoleo

Ceebs said:
I swear Sheva has wasted so much ammo.

I'm only on 2-2 and already I can't count the number of times I've backed up from an enemy and turned around to shoot and she's standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME blocking my shots with her face. Thank god there isn't friendly fire, else I'd have given up on the game already.

Ceebs

Orellio said:
I'm only on 2-2 and already I can't count the number of times I've backed up from an enemy and turned around to shoot and she's standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME blocking my shots with her face. Thank god there isn't friendly fire, else I'd have given up on the game already.
I think you can turn it on if you were insane. I have started rationing her handgun ammo. She gets 2 clips worth at a time now. I will need to go and take a screen shot of the beginning of 4-1. after you come out of the cave. That looked more like a painting than God of War 3 ever will.

bumpkin

Ceebs said:
I think you can turn it on if you were insane. I have started rationing her handgun ammo. She gets 2 clips worth at a time now. I will need to go and take a screen shot of the beginning of 4-1. after you come out of the cave. That looked more like a painting than God of War 3 ever will.
Every time I played through the game I basically disarmed her almost completely. :lol Typically I gave her the weapons I didn't like using or find to be useful in a given situation (or at all).

little things make me very happy. presentation is a big one. store bought copy had a nice 3D lenticular, and a full colour manual and disc label. this stuff was so rare even just a couple of years back it's so nice to see more and more games having full colour decent sized manuals on PC once more.

Ysiadmihi said:
The game really does look incredible and runs on lower end systems very well to boot. All Capcom needs to do is add Novint Falcon support and they'll be in the running for my favorite PC dev.

Well, that and release the goddamn games on time :lol

Define 'lower end'.

Ceebs

lorddarkflare said:
Define 'lower end'.
There is a benchmark you can download or search for the RE5 benchmark topic here. People were posting their results for months.

That said, the engine is VERY scalable. It will run on everything, but at a point it will look way worse than console versions.

Ceebs said:
There is a benchmark you can download or search for the RE5 benchmark topic here. People were posting their results for months.

That said, the engine is VERY scalable. It will run on everything, but at a point it will look way worse than console versions.

Thanks a lot. Seems good, more games should run like this.

Vaporak

Got a technical question for the PC version. When starting the game up, or changing the settings, or alt tabbing I get an incredibly long loading screen that's just a black screen with a little loading bar in the corner. The actual loading time in game is fine, so I imagine the engine is doing something different at these times. I also remember that the pc version of DMC4 had this problem on some people's machines. Anyone know more about it or know a fix?

Ceebs

Vaporak said:
Got a technical question for the PC version. When starting the game up, or changing the settings, or alt tabbing I get an incredibly long loading screen that's just a black screen with a little loading bar in the corner. The actual loading time in game is fine, so I imagine the engine is doing something different at these times. I also remember that the pc version of DMC4 had this problem on some people's machines. Anyone know more about it or know a fix?
It does it when you change the AA level as well. No idea what it's doing though. I just go grab a drink when I alt tab back in.

wii IR pointer doesn't move the ingame cursor. odd. also, the ingame cursor goes behind certain things for me like certain shadows, objects and chris's hair.

hmmn.

Zenith

Banned
Vaporak said:

that's the main loading screen where it's caching all the important stuff. It allows for the inter-level loading screens to be short. It should be quick but in some cases it can take an incredibly long time. it happened to me when I first got DMC4. I can't remember the solution. probably upgrade your drivers.

plagiarize said:
wii IR pointer doesn't move the ingame cursor. odd. also, the ingame cursor goes behind certain things for me like certain shadows, objects and chris's hair.

hmmn.
How have you set up the wiimote on your pc may I ask?

Diablohead said:
How have you set up the wiimote on your pc may I ask?
i'm using bluetooth to connect the wii remote and glove pie to set up the controls just like they were in RE4 Wii, unfortunately even though i can move the mouse in all the menus (even the ingame inventory one) i can't move the aiming cursor. it jumps to where ever the pointer was when you leave the in game inventory menu... but hmmn. i'm hoping there's a way to get it to work still... cause the wii controls are perfect for RE4/5.

Top Bottom