• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Sectus

Lince said:
so can you cap the retail PC version to 30 fps? the benchmark demo had the option but never got it to work. Even though I can run it at locked 60 fps 720p I'd love to try an insane amount of AA/AF @1080p 30 fps.
30 limit option works for me. After playing it in 60fps there's no way I'm going back though.

Baloonatic said:
Will my scores be uploaded to the leaderboards if I'm not connected to GFWL? I want to freeze the No Mercy timer with a trainer and see how long I last, but I don't want to fuck up the leaderboards for people who are playing properly.
No, they won't be uploaded if you're disconnected.

And about the leaderboards... they're already fucked T_T

Zoc said:
So, is the "floating mouse" control scheme described earlier in this thread anything like the RE4 Wii control scheme, or what? I've read and watched as many reviews as I could find, but I still can't figure out what it is, or how it's different from the regular keyboard and mouse control scheme.

Any PC gamers here with the game that could enlighten me?
It's pretty much identical to the RE4 Wii controls.

Zoc

Sectus said:
It's pretty much identical to the RE4 Wii controls.

?!?!?! Really? Why isn't this bigger news? Like I said, I've looked at a half-dozen video and text reviews for this game, and none of them really went into detail on this option... If it's really true, this would make the game for me. The Wii controls were so much fun in RE4.

Sectus

Zoc said:
?!?!?! Really? Why isn't this bigger news? Like I said, I've looked at a half-dozen video and text reviews for this game, and none of them really went into detail on this option... If it's really true, this would make the game for me. The Wii controls were so much fun in RE4.
I think few people mentioned it since it's not an obvious option, and most people probably wouldn't want to trade away their ability to strafe.

It is literally just like the Wii version though. Pointer on screen at all times. Tank controls. Ability to glance around (which is pretty much impossible to map to keyboard/mouse without a third arm :<). Quick slash is suspiciously similar to the knife waggling on the Wii version.

If you have a wiimote you can use on the PC, I wouldn't be surprised if you could setup the controls to play identical to RE4 Wii edition.

Zoc

Sectus said:
I think few people mentioned it since it's not an obvious option, and most people probably wouldn't want to trade away their ability to strafe.

It is literally just like the Wii version though. Pointer on screen at all times. Tank controls. Ability to glance around (which is pretty much impossible to map to keyboard/mouse without a third arm :<). Quick slash is suspiciously similar to the knife waggling on the Wii version.

If you have a wiimote you can use on the PC, I wouldn't be surprised if you could setup the controls to play identical to RE4 Wii edition.

Damn, I wonder why they didn't make more of this in the game's marketing. This makes the game a serious argument for me in favour of postponing rebuying a PS3 and building a cheap PC gaming rig. Serious PC envy here.

EDIT: Wait, so if when you're aiming, you use the mouse to move the pointer around, how do you look around at the same time? One of the key points of the Wii control scheme was that you could look around with the nunchuck while you aimed with the wiimote.

Deadly

AsylumBlue said:
This only happens in dx9 mode, and believe it or not, it's caused by having v-sync on. Disable v-sync, turn the game off, then try it again. I guarantee it'll load up a lot faster. Dx10 doesn't even have a loading bar, it just starts up automatically.

My character is stuttering a whole lot when I turned v-sync off though, anyone else experience this? and what's the actual technical term called?

Sectus

Zoc said:
Damn, I wonder why they didn't make more of this in the game's marketing. This makes the game a serious argument for me in favour of postponing rebuying a PS3 and building a cheap PC gaming rig. Serious PC envy here.

EDIT: Wait, so if when you're aiming, you use the mouse to move the pointer around, how do you look around at the same time? One of the key points of the Wii control scheme was that you could look around with the nunchuck while you aimed with the wiimote.
By default WASD will have the same functionality as the nunchuck analog stick. You can map that to different buttons if you want.

Deadly said:
My character is stuttering a whole lot when I turned v-sync off though, anyone else experience this? and what's the actual technical term called?
I was actually trying to figure out the same thing. I'm able to get 60fps almost all the time in story mode, so it's a nonissue there. But in no mercy mode it's unable to keep 60fps, and the framerate varies a lot... that isn't too bad itself, but the stuttery movement is rather annoying. It seems to happened whenever the framerate is below 60 (does it happen when it's above 60 too?). I don't think there's any technical term for it, I haven't had it happen in other games besides this one.

I'm thinking it might be related to an odd way the engine calculates movement or something. If I unlock the framerate, it feels like certain animations goes by too fast.

Can't find anyone at all online for Mercenaries, hopefully it will be more active after it's been out a while.

Sectus, is it at all possible to get bullets to fire from the crosshair instead of the gun?

Sectus

Baloonatic said:
Can't find anyone at all online for Mercenaries, hopefully it will be more active after it's been out a while.

Sectus, is it at all possible to get bullets to fire from the crosshair instead of the gun?
Doubt it. With no SDK or source code, it's extremely difficult to change anything directly with the gameplay.

Has anyone tried to swap chris with that suit he is wearing in that wesker and jill flashback? the stars one which looks different to his classic stars?

Sectus

Diablohead said:
Has anyone tried to swap chris with that suit he is wearing in that wesker and jill flashback? the stars one which looks different to his classic stars?
I've been considering to test that. But I haven't found the model so far.

danmaku

I put some hours in the PC version and I must say that I'm impressed. Controls could've been better, and so far (chapter 2-3) the story is almost absent, but all the rest is fantastic. They really found the right pace for the action sequences, and the visuals are simply stunning, especially the two main characters, they have an insane level of detail.

To kill the giant bat I had to use every last bit of ammo, all of my grenades and all the proximity mines, and still that beast won't go down. Then I took out the sniper rifle and tried to shoot him while he was flying, I had his weak spot in my sight when he took a dive towards me. I thought "ok, I'm doomed"... but no, he needed just that one shot to die! That's what I call a memorable scene! :D

If they can keep this pace, it's gonna be one hell of a ride!

Erebus

DennisK4 said:
re5dx102009-09-2014-22gzyz.jpg
Looks incredible!:D

This reminds me, I need to take some screenshots myself the next time I boot the game.

Beautiful, beautiful game, but the Level Art and mainly, the game design is just a big, wasted opportunity.

Just check out the Making Of videos and they'll just talk about making the cinematics as real as possible. Not one mention of the actual game.

Erebus

OK some quick screencaps with the Chris R.P.D. custom costume:

re5dx102009-09-2101-14xyet.jpg

re5dx102009-09-2101-17tazq.jpg

re5dx102009-09-2101-18j0cb.jpg

re5dx102009-09-2101-2905lc.jpg

What are they looking at so surprised? :lol

re5dx102009-09-2101-30e0pq.jpg

re5dx102009-09-2101-31n3iq.jpg

The game runs surprisingly good on my 8800GTS 640MB.

Varna

Just got the PC version. Glad I waited.

Anyone plan on doing a lot of co-op? Please leave your Windows Live IDs and I'll add you.

Proc

damn this game is beautiful on pc. I just tried it out for the first time on max detail on my 40" 1080p tv. The smoke effects are incredible under dx10. I appreciate the mouse aiming as well. Won't be putting this game down anytime soon.

Chairhome

Deadly said:
Nice thanks! What's Stereo under the graphics though?
I think its for stereoscopic graphics for 3D, but I could be wrong.

I want to try this on PC again, I need to reconfigure my current system, my bench results weren't what I was hoping for, but still pretty good.

Zenith

Banned
Chairhome said:
I think its for stereoscopic graphics for 3D, but I could be wrong.

that's what I thought. you can also use to enable the laser sight instead of the crosshair. I guess you need it for depth perception.

Varna

The online components for this game are fantastic. The whole upgrading mechanic makes it feel like some kind of MMO. Do the items carry over for all difficulties?

At this rate I will never learn what the story is about.

cvxfreak

Varna said:
The online components for this game are fantastic. The whole upgrading mechanic makes it feel like some kind of MMO. Do the items carry over for all difficulties?

At this rate I will never learn what the story is about.

Indeed they do.

Varna

Awesome. Why the hell won't they just let you buy ammo though... wait they only sell grenade launcher ammo for some retarded reason.

This is now my GOTY. Played through the Steam version on normal over the weekend and absolutely loved it. The graphics had the same impact on me as the first time I played Crysis. While they're not technically superior, on a good PC the IQ, post-processing and art come together to create one of the most beautiful games ever.

I've got Batman as well but I've hardly even touched it. The combat and atmosphere in RE5 are just too good, I'd rather keep playing it over and over.

Quick question, do I need to use FRAPS or anything for screenies? I couldn't find the shortcut, and I think that the prettiness of this game on PC needs to be underscored repeatedly.

Varna said:
Awesome. Why the hell won't they just let you buy ammo though... wait they only sell grenade launcher ammo for some retarded reason.

This is actually my only complaint about the game :lol

MoFuzz

Played through the 360 version back in March, and now making my rounds through the glorious PC version. Great so far, except.....

Does it seem like the whole game is in fast forward to anyone else? I mean the smoother framerate is great and all, but it just seems like the game speed is way too fast now. I'm sure this has something to do with the game now being rendered in 60 fps as opposed to 30. Is there anyone to fix it other than to gimp the framerate down to 30?

MoFuzz said:
Played through the 360 version back in March, and now making my rounds through the glorious PC version. Great so far, except.....

Does it seem like the whole game is in fast forward to anyone else? I mean the smoother framerate is great and all, but it just seems like the game speed is way too fast now. I'm sure this has something to do with the game now being rendered in 60 fps as opposed to 30. Is there anyone to fix it other than to gimp the framerate down to 30?

Should be an option in the Display Settings menu that lets you lock the frame rate at 30, 60 or Variable :).

MoFuzz

That's what I mean, I'd rather not limit it to 30 fps.

The actual speed of the game, as in the animations, seem to be happening faster in the PC version. Normally, game speed shouldn't affect framerate, but I guess because they had it locked at 30 on consoles, is why the game seems faster.

Sectus

Time for more random mod fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSYYWh66_pU

MoFuzz said:
That's what I mean, I'd rather not limit it to 30 fps.

The actual speed of the game, as in the animations, seem to be happening faster in the PC version. Normally, game speed shouldn't affect framerate, but I guess because they had it locked at 30 on consoles, is why the game seems faster.
Did you try locking it at 60? I got the same impression when I first played the game, but not after I set it to be 60 max.

Ceebs

I still have no idea what is going on with DX10 and my 4870. I can play in DX9 mode with almost no drops from 60fps with 4XAA, but I can't get over 40 fps in DX10 mode with no AA. On the latest drivers and everything.

Kweh

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have just completed the game on Normal and doing a Veteran run through. I'm close to unlocking unlimited ammo for the shotgun. If i start using that does it affect Trophies? i.e. Can I still get the Veteran Trophy even though I use unlimited ammo?

-Winnie-

Kweh said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have just completed the game on Normal and doing a Veteran run through. I'm close to unlocking unlimited ammo for the shotgun. If i start using that does it affect Trophies? i.e. Can I still get the Veteran Trophy even though I use unlimited ammo?

Nope won't effect trophies, feel free to use unlimited ammo. Hell, without it I don't know how I would've finished Pro.

Kweh

Cool ta, but how do I get it to work? :D

I've upgraded my shotgun as much as possible, turned on the ability to use weapons with infinite ammo, and also purchases the bonus ability in the special features.

I still don't seem to have unlimited ammo in game though

Zenith

Banned
as far as I know:

1. buy inf ammo in the specials menu using points.

2. go to special options and turn inf ammo on.

3. select a chapter and turn inf ammo on under the coop settings and play.

in the initial loadout screen it'll show the ammo count but once ingame you'll get the inf symbol.

Sectus

Ogs said:
Some HD (hopefully when you read this) footage of the new No Mercy mode, courtesy of moi :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIAjvTDKavY
If you go to mouse/keyboard options and switch item priority to numerical keys, then mercs layouts will position all the weapons on the top row by default.

And if you're gonna post No Mercy vids... I'm gonna post mine too :p

Public assembly - Chris BSAA:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nxtRs7pSP0 - www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNF7jfMXZto

Mines - Wesker Midnight:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNO3UHC_c3c - www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RLXumXPWMc

Village - Jill BSAA:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJKKXIV--nE - www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUcCUnhtYlY

Ruins - Chris Safari:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0MiCZnSIHc

Facility - Sheva Clubbin:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jq_vqSjOdE

Missile Area - Jill Battlesuit:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyIKCydL9sw - www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h6vPBN8NK8

Ship Deck - Chris BSAA:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=orOvJCcPRmc - www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjPHv0BbdUU

Prison - Jill BSAA:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eg2urnHbNI - www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4rOTfJyIX4

Sectus said:
If you go to mouse/keyboard options and switch item priority to numerical keys, then mercs layouts will position all the weapons on the top row by default.

Well spank my ass, didnt know that was in there, was annoying me having to fiddle with the inventory like that, thanks :D

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
GuardianE said:
... please not a PC exclusive.

There's no real reason it should be, both console versions are million sellers. It wouldn't make any sense to exclude them.

Sectus

chandoog said:
Jill's voice actress mentions recording new stuff for a "Director's Cut" version of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbsmcx1vCZw

OH SNAP !
omgomgomgmogomgomgomgomgomgomgmogomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

Edit: To think about this more rationally instaed of being sillingly giddy... I think they might be handling this similar to Lost Planet Colonies. Same game with new features released at a budget price. She claims the news is already out... is this supposed to be announced at TGS?

*goes back to being giddy*

omgomgomgomgomg new jill campaign? new mercenaries maps? omgomgomgomgomgomgmogomgomgomgomgomgmmomg

Sectus said:
omgomgomgmogomgomgomgomgomgomgmogomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

Edit: To think about this more rationally instaed of being sillingly giddy... I think they might be handling this similar to Lost Planet Colonies. Same game with new features released at a budget price. She claims the news is already out... is this supposed to be announced at TGS?

*goes back to being giddy*

omgomgomgomgomg new jill campaign? new mercenaries maps? omgomgomgomgomgomgmogomgomgomgomgomgmmomg
i hope that the tiny picture we saw on the slide is indictative that we'll get to play the castle assualt we see in flash backs.

Top Bottom