• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Nemesis_

I love DLC (Shoot me)

but I hope they have a little more planned.

I'm still disappointed that people are saying these are the best unlockables ever, when it's really LESS than RE4.

I want at least ONE alternate scenario similar to Separate Ways, Assignment Ada or even 4th Survivor.

LaneDS said:
Bummer. Sounds like a bullshit rumor then. Thanks for clarifying.

They're there

they appear in a factory where older things are being disposed off, you go near the disposal area and you hear moans and can see them. It's more like a cameo, and when you consider how useless a traditional T-Virus victim is compared to Las Plagas Type 2, it makes sense that they are on the out.

Wark

Nemesis556 said:
I want at least ONE alternate scenario similar to Separate Ways, Assignment Ada or even 4th Survivor.

This is what I was hoping for.

Maybe we'll see it down the road as DLC, but that kinda ruins the fun of beating the game to unlock it.

Played a couple of hours of online co-op and wow, the game is pretty goddamn good still.
Already a pretty cool boss fight within those two hours, but I quickly figured out how to dispatch of him thanks to a very similar boss/scenario in Dead space

I've decided to just sit on this 'till some of my friends get the game. Don't really feel like playing this the first time through with random strangers.

~Kinggi~

Banned
LaneDS said:
I like that you point out that people looking to play mercs online co-op will in fact need an online connection to play it. :lol

In any case, that's certainly good news.
lmao, i just realized this.

Anyway, it should be free.

Aquanox

Blimblim said:
First video by DjMizuhara is up, second coming in a few minutes:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7602_en.html

For what I've seen so far (First Level) graphically it's like MGS4 but with color and more detailed textures. Lightning is also exceptional.

Impressed, very impressed. (I'm fine with the controls)

Edit: BTW, I've noticed some improvements from the demo, especially in terms of lightning and particle effects.

Edit 2: I've played the Xbox 360 version, the one in the video is the PS3's which at first sight, lacks some of the effects and detail of what I've seen.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
YUS my copy has arrived :D

chapter 1-1

even though the big fight was exactly the same as the demo, couldn't help but feel that the villagers were a lot easier to kill (playing on normal), but ammo and treasure hording allowed the executioner to live

~Kinggi~

Banned
Can anyone who knows, tell me as discreetly as possible about the
arcade mode that is unlocked? Is this different than mercenaries. I dont want big spoilers.

PuppetMaster said:
The game is seriously cut scene heavy though. Maybe not as long or as talky as MGS4, but still substantial. They are very high quality cut scenes so I enjoying watching them.

So the stuff that has appeared on youtube and such isn't all the cutscenes. I was beginning to think that it seemed pretty damn short. :lol

~Kinggi~ said:
Looks like an interview with the lead developer has revealed that online coop for the mercenaries mode will be released as a downloadable content on March 5th. So it looks like it will be just in time for the American release, although people will need online to update the game.

Offline coop is still available out of the box.

I saw IGN complaining about the lack of online coop so this should make things better.

Link?

LaneDS

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
They're there

they appear in a factory where older things are being disposed off, you go near the disposal area and you hear moans and can see them. It's more like a cameo, and when you consider how useless a traditional T-Virus victim is compared to Las Plagas Type 2, it makes sense that they are on the out.

Ah, cool and yet disappointing all at once. Thanks for the answer.

Yeah, it does bug me a tad, but I have to say it's nice that at least came up with a good reason for it as opposed to some random thing and instead making it work with the story.

Yeah, honestly, it would be nice to blast a couple rooms full of em, especially if they had it somehow make sense. Yet the speed they would be moving at would make it painfully easy. That is unless somehow they were all as fast as crimson heads! Now that would be a bit scary! 5 crimson heads running at you full speed with their claws extended!:D

Dartastic

I was reading through the thread very slowly, just to gauge some reactions to the game, and somehow my touch pad on my laptop clicked down and highlighted something about
slow moving ZOMBIES.
Although I'm disappointed that I found this out now, I've gotta say... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:D :D :D :D :D

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah, honestly, it would be nice to blast a couple rooms full of em, especially if they had it somehow make sense. Yet the speed they would be moving at would make it painfully easy. That is unless somehow they were all as fast as crimson heads! Now that would be a bit scary! 5 crimson heads running at you full speed with their claws extended!:D

Nah, screw that those things scare the CRAP out of me even in UC :lol It's funny that they only appear in REmake, IIRC there lack of appearance in 0 was that there wasn't enough time for them to turn. Is it even possible to ensure a zero Crimson Head appearance on REmake?

One thing about RE was that the Zombies were rarely a huge threat, mostly it was if you weren't careful or if there was a ton of them. It's funny when we thing of RE we think of the zombies, but in a way they were the lowest of the low in the enemy spectrum (maybe next to crows, but not dogs).

What the hell inspired Mikami to switch from T to Las Plagas anyway in RE4 anyway? I'm actually happy with the real world grounding 5 (and Degeneration) has setup. 4 just felt like storywise, that Mikami had hit a wall and wasn't sure where to go. I mean Umbrella ended in the OPENING cutscene, I mean that's pretty crazy when you think of it, if not for RE5 or UC, that would have been that. He had been quoted as saying the games could be like the James Bond series in terms of just continuing, but I'm happy we're getting a sense of conclusion with RE5.

What the hell inspired Mikami to switch from T to Las Plagas anyway in RE4 anyway? I'm actually happy with the real world grounding 5 (and Degeneration) has setup. 4 just felt like storywise, that Mikami had hit a wall and wasn't sure where to go.

Yeah I still to this day question the whole huge GIANT ROBOT part in RE4. Neat but so just ...weird.:lol

I'm glad RE5 is going more towards real world ground as well.

cvxfreak said:
An RE4-style game with nothing but Crimson Heads would be totally awesome.

See where totally on the same page here! It would be nice to see a sorta zombie/las plagas infected with a dash of crimson head thrown in. Little bit of the old, little bit of the new. BLAMO!

cvxfreak

MY COPIES CAME IN! :D

Off to play guys, see ya!

MiamiWesker: Took about 36 hours for mine to arrive to SF from HK. Paid $28 for Fedex International which is a steal for the service I paid for.

Tenbatsu

cvxfreak said:

MiamiWesker: Took about 36 hours for mine to arrive to SF from HK. Paid $28 for Fedex International which is a steal for the service I paid for.
Enjoy the game!!:D

cvxfreak said:

Congrats!!!

Wow not so bad. Oh well I missed out, I will wait. Is that for PS3? Does that mean that if I hop on I will see you playing RE5, that might cause me to go insane. :p

cvxfreak

MiamiWesker said:
Congrats!!!

Wow not so bad. Oh well I missed out, I will wait. Is that for PS3? Does that mean that if I hop on I will see you playing RE5, that might cause me to go insane. :p

I have to play the PS3 version first because I already sold my 360 in anticipation for the red 360 Elite bundle. Installing to PS3 HDD now. T.T

Sectus

dark10x said:
That's actually really disappointing to hear.

According to the in game timer, my first playthrough of RE4 took over 20 hours (and that was without any significant problems in proceeding). How many hours did it take you to complete RE4 the first time through?
I think my first playthrough of RE4 was about 17 hours. I do feel RE5 is a bit shorter, but it doesn't really worsen the experience for me. This is a game I can easily replay (actually, I already started replaying it).

Dyno said:
Can you further explain this? How exactly does it work?
Basically what tenbatsu mentioned. Your inventory is literally permanent and you've got a gigantic item box you can access before playing. And all your stuff and upgrades carries over for other difficulties, for the same savegame if you decide to do previous chapters, when playing coop and etc...

When you've completed the game once, it becomes stupidly easy afterwards for any replays. I dunno how it works related to the highest difficulty which you have to unlock by completing the game once. Hopefully that difficulty is balanced in a way where it assumes the player is fully upgraded.

LaneDS

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Although you gotta admit it makes sense

(Putting my responses in spoilers despite the topic being openly talked about)
It does, definitely, but I was hoping that they'd incorporate some sort of screw-up which involved basically hordes of zombies coming at you. I really do think given the amount of enemies the engine appears to be able to handle at once it wouldn't be unreasonable to have ten slow-moving, tougher than average Las Plagas zombies coming at you at once and have it still be somewhat of a challenge if designed correctly (like you've only got a handgun, for example).

To me Resident Evil is something I strongly associate with zombies and would like to see that be a key point of whatever this reboot is they're starting to mention. Still, I'm glad to see they make some sort of appearance in the game.

Also, I feel someone should break it to Dartastic. :lol

Wow those playtimes aren't even in the range of RE4's. What a disappointment. And that was after all that stink in the review thread about "there's no way you can beat it in 9 hours without rushing through!"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
chapter 1-3

holy fuck at the chainsaw guy going berserk after being killed :lol caught me completely off guard

Duck Amuck said:
I HATE that I have to wait a week. Why couldn't they release the game on Monday instead of Friday?

To add more injury to the equation, my spring break is next week and RE5 comes out at pretty much the tail-end of it. Oh well, I guess that gives me time to play through RE1, RE2, RE3, and RECV before it comes out at least.

LaneDS said:
(Putting my responses in spoilers despite the topic being openly talked about)
It does, definitely, but I was hoping that they'd incorporate some sort of screw-up which involved basically hordes of zombies coming at you. I really do think given the amount of enemies the engine appears to be able to handle at once it wouldn't be unreasonable to have ten slow-moving, tougher than average Las Plagas zombies coming at you at once and have it still be somewhat of a challenge if designed correctly (like you've only got a handgun, for example).

To me Resident Evil is something I strongly associate with zombies and would like to see that be a key point of whatever this reboot is they're starting to mention. Still, I'm glad to see they make some sort of appearance in the game.

Also, I feel someone should break it to Dartastic. :lol

Yeah I admit that Resident Evil always invokes the idea of zombies as well for me. Its tough because these are no longer really zombies. Though technically zombies were a bad side effect of tryin to make a super soldier to being with with the T-virus. So the Las Plagas infection is sorta the superior version since people still sorta have thier mortality and are way better then the average zombie (can put up a fight and use weapons, skin doesn't rot, etc). I'd like to see zombie make a comeback as well somehow, if even for a segment in a future installment.

My question is this, will it take another 4 years to get the next addition to the Resident Evil story line? We got three of them on playstation one. I'd like to see at least RE 6 come out before the next gen systems.

Since im getting this game early before most of my local friends, I will probably play it single player. If I do, I will post my completion time and see if its different then someone going through it co-op in ten hours. Seeing as I'm a vet of the series, I should do fairly well.

Kard8p3

Red Blaster said:
Wow those playtimes aren't even in the range of RE4's. What a disappointment. And that was after all that stink in the review thread about "there's no way you can beat it in 9 hours without rushing through!"

There's not that much of a difference really. My first playthrough of RE4 ended at the 13 hour mark and I didn't rush through it. So losing 3 to 4 hours off that for 5 wont really bother me.

Kard8p3 said:
There's not that much of a difference really. My first playthrough of RE4 ended at the 13 hour mark and I didn't rush through it. So losing 3 to 4 hours off that for 5 wont really bother me.

Yeah a friend of mine actually beat RE4 on his first time in like 12 hours. He didn't really explore though, or so he said, though I was quite surprised. Regardless, RE5's time with co-op is plenty replayable.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I've never played a RE in mylife so I know squat of the story...

Will I enjoy RE5? or at least understand the history? I think the game comes with some kind of RE Encyclopedia right?

and once for all.. how longis the game? some says 8 hours and some20 hours.who should GAF believe?? and it worth a replay?

I'm on the verge of buying this or Halo Wars!

Top Bottom