• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

mittelos

cvxfreak said:
I firmly believe the game is as good as RE4 is today.

It won't blow you away the way RE4 did because it has been 4 years, but there are still some memorable wow moments in RE5, and I'm only halfway through.
Awesome. Looking forward to more impressions.

Ganondorfo

I am judging this by a trailer of resident evil 5,
but doesn't irving remind anyone here of salazar? The voice of irving is awesome "SPLENDDDDDDDIG TIMINGGGG, just in time for the fireworks show BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM"

This is not a spoiler, it's a scene from the trailer of resident evil 5 and the character is also explained in the second post of this thread.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
DJmizuhara said:
The PS3 install takes 10minutes 40 seconds to install, it's a five 5GB install.
The longest loading times I've seen so far are around 3 seconds, if that.

While it's installing go make yourself a sandwich. :lol

Seriously. Im getting the 360 version but how the hell can you worry about an install? :lol I doubt your time is actually valuable.

Ridley327

Ganondorfo said:
I am judging this by a trailer of resident evil 5,
but doesn't irving remind anyone here of salazar? The voice of irving is awesome "SPLENDDDDDDDIG TIMINGGGG, just in time for the fireworks show BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM"

This is not a spoiler, it's a scene from the trailer of resident evil 5 and the character is also explained in the second post of this thread.

Oh, I'd say he's the game's Salazar alright. WINK WINK

Ganondorfo

Ridley327 said:
Oh, I'd say he's the game's Salazar alright. WINK WINK

This is just my guessing for irving (maybe a right guess going by my resident evil history)

I am thinking he is the that big tentacle boss, starting small and then becoming huge just like salazar in re4, I know capcom like to do this kind of design lol

brandonh83 said:
just saying, it's okay to be negative about things you don't like, but presenting your points in a definitive, I've beat the game already and know what I'm talking about approach isn't a good way to go about things.

I mean, there are a few things about RE5 that I don't like, such as the fact that it's not in my PS3 right now giving me a survival horror blowjob, but this criticism can wait.

I went into the Dead Space thread and tore that game a new asshole, but that was after I was 90% through the game.
I know. I'm just bitter. I didn't like the demo very much.

I feel that Dead Space is excellent, though.

So I'm watching a playthrough of RE2 (AF) and I comment to my wife to look at Birkin's arm eye (after implanting Ben) since it's connected to what she saw in Degeneration. She then says "Oh it's the G-Virus". My face lit up like a Christmas tree. I am one very lucky man. :)

ezekial45

Banned
Quick question about the unlockable
Mercenaries Mode. There is an ONLINE version of the game, right? I heard that you had to download an update to be able to play Co-op.

Facism

cvxfreak said:
I firmly believe the game is as good as RE4 is today.

It won't blow you away the way RE4 did because it has been 4 years, but there are still some memorable wow moments in RE5, and I'm only halfway through.

Not that I've seen.

Could you possibly check how the fps is in splitscreen?

USD

I don't think I'm gonna make it another week. Having to play with pure idiots in the demo isn't cutting it anymore. At least I'll have all of spring break to play the shit out of this game.

AkuMifune

Banned
cvxfreak said:
An RE4-style game with nothing but Crimson Heads would be totally awesome.

YES!

Anyway, random thoughts after finishing Chapter 1 last night (Normal Difficulty - 360):

I suggest everyone change the initial settings of your game to "Invite-only" instead of "Rogue" so that you have the option to allow other players to jump in if you invite them. This way you can play solo when you want, but at least have the option to bring another player in.

Which you may want to do because Sheva wastes a ton of ammo. After years of ammo conservation ingrained in my head I cringe every time she unloads a clip into an enemy. I found it better to let her put a couple bullets into someone and then rush forward and knife them down myself.

Which is easy because the knife (machete?) is badass. I think because it knocks them back a bit which never really happened before, giving you more time to keep slashing. I was surrounded by enemies and just spamming the knife slash and taking a ton of them down. Maybe it will annoy me later that they run right up to you...stop...wait...then attack, but right now it helps because there are so many. Still the AI is not as aggressive as RE4, there's just more of them and they're faster.

Compared to chapter 1 of RE4 it's not nearly as scary either. I mean, this is no Siren, but at least in 4 it was a dark creepy Transylvanian-like village. This bright daytime crap is interesting, but not particularly frightening in any way.

Also, it seems the leaderboard only tracks the time though each chapter? That's lame. It should take your ranking into account at least. I think it's just about speedruns though, which is kinda stupid IMO.

All of that said, I still had alot of fun, I can't wait to play more, and I'm looking forward to having some friends to play with. This is not a game I want anyone random joining at all.

Morts

Well I read the non-story spoilers about
the Mercenaries characters. I'm actually hoping I can pay a few bucks to download a few more, like Leon and Hunk. Are there at least more levels than there were in 4?

Sectus

Morts said:
Well I read the non-story spoilers about
the Mercenaries characters. I'm actually hoping I can pay a few bucks to download a few more, like Leon and Hunk. Are there at least more levels than there were in 4?
Yeah,
there's 8 stages
. They're all very varied too, and looks absolutely stunning. I get the impression Capcom put some extra effort into making those look even better than the main campaign. On the other hand, the framerate is really terrible when playing the mode in splitscreen.

Sectus

Duck Amuck said:
How varied is the game? Is it as varied as RE4?

How atmospheric/tense can it get?

Any cool enemies like Regenerators?
Yup, I'd definitely say it's as varied as RE4. Perhaps even more so.

It feels tense just about all the time. They've done a good job with most enemy encounters in the game. Atmosphere, I'm not so sure. It's atmospheric in the way it feels like a real world and all the different areas have their own unique look and look stunning. But horror-wise, there's no atmosphere to really make you feel afraid because of the environments alone. You get more of a feeling of awe than desperation and fear when looking at the environments.

I do miss some of the environments from RE4 to be honest. My overall favourite is chapter 2-1 (I think that's the chapter number) in RE4 with the village during nightmate and the storm. I just love how everything looks in that chapter. And I loved how some of the castle looked, but you don't really have anything similar to that in RE5.

There's one thing I actually miss about the level design in RE5 which I suppose might be a minor spoiler.
There's basically no backtracking at all. Which also means there's less exploration than RE4 and developers can't re-use the same environments for new enemy encounters. I suppose some people will like always seeing new environments, but I kinda liked some of the backtracking and non-linear exploration. Don't get me wrong, the actual enemy encounters are still set in non-linear areas similar to public assembly, but how all the levels are connected are 90% linear.

And yes, there's very good enemy variety and some surprises.

Edit: I think the boss fights are much better than RE4. The fact you're playing in coop makes it much more interesting trying to find a good strategy. And there's one specific boss fight I really love which I can't wait to replay. A bit hard to talk about it without spoiling anything, but I can say it suddenly felt like playing the Credo or Dante bossfight in DMC4. And anyone complaining about animations will shut the heck up when they see that boss fight.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sectus said:
Yup, I'd definitely say it's as varied as RE4. Perhaps even more so.

It feels tense just about all the time. They've done a good job with most enemy encounters in the game. Atmosphere, I'm not so sure. It's atmospheric in the way it feels like a real world and all the different areas have their own unique look and look stunning. But horror-wise, there's no atmosphere to really make you feel afraid because of the environments alone. You get more of a feeling of awe than desperation and fear when looking at the environments.

I do miss some of the environments from RE4 to be honest. My overall favourite is chapter 2-1 (I think that's the chapter number) in RE4 with the village during nightmate and the storm. I just love how everything looks in that chapter. And I loved how some of the castle looked, but you don't really have anything similar to that in RE5.

There's one thing I actually miss about the level design in RE5 which I suppose might be a minor spoiler.
There's basically no backtracking at all. Which also means there's less exploration than RE4 and developers can't re-use the same environments for new enemy encounters. I suppose some people will like always seeing new environments, but I kinda liked some of the backtracking and non-linear exploration. Don't get me wrong, the actual enemy encounters are still set in non-linear areas similar to public assembly, but how all the levels are connected are 90% linear.

And yes, there's very good enemy variety and some surprises.

Edit: I think the boss fights are much better than RE4. The fact you're playing in coop makes it much more interesting trying to find a good strategy. And there's one specific boss fight I really love which I can't wait to replay. A bit hard to talk about it without spoiling anything, but I can say it suddenly felt like playing the Credo or Dante bossfight in DMC4. And anyone complaining about animations will shut the heck up when they see that boss fight.
Hype, hype, hype.

Sectus said:
Edit: I think the boss fights are much better than RE4. The fact you're playing in coop makes it much more interesting trying to find a good strategy.

Let's say hypothetically that I can't get my wife to play Sheva, either in the game or in real life, and none of my friends are gamers and I'm stuck playing solo. Do the boss battles become tedious and annoying that way? Or can you direct Sheva to do that fun strategy stuff you're talking about?

That's my only reservation at this point, whether or not they made single-player an afterthought.

cvxfreak

I'm on the last boss fight.

RE5 is definitely shorter and less meatier than RE4 as a whole. Imagine cutting out the castle in RE4, and you have RE5's length.

The boss fights are fairly difficult, and it isn't always obvious what you have to do. But I'm having a great time. It's just that I've never ever finished an RE on the first day I've owned it, so I'm a little surprised that I waited so many years to play RE5 only to end up finishing it in a day. :lol

Christopher

cvxfreak said:
I'm on the last boss fight.

RE5 is definitely shorter and less meatier than RE4 as a whole. Imagine cutting out the castle in RE4, and you have RE5's length.

The boss fights are fairly difficult, and it isn't always obvious what you have to do. But I'm having a great time. It's just that I've never ever finished an RE on the first day I've owned it, so I'm a little surprised that I waited so many years to play RE5 only to end up finishing it in a day. :lol

:(

Sectus

David H Wong said:
Let's say hypothetically that I can't get my wife to play Sheva, either in the game or in real life, and none of my friends are gamers and I'm stuck playing solo. Do the boss battles become tedious and annoying that way? Or can you direct Sheva to do that fun strategy stuff you're talking about?

That's my only reservation at this point, whether or not they made single-player an afterthought.
I've only barely played parts of chapters with the AI so I'm not sure. At the very least I'm pretty sure the AI never does mistakes with those small QTEs in boss fights where you have to press RT+LT or A+X to avoid attacks.

The game is more fun in coop regardless though, so you should definitely try to convince your wife to play it. I think RE5 might be easier for "non-gamers" to play than other games. You've got the type a controls which are easier to master than typical shooter controls. And Capcom seems to have put a lot of effort into making it feel cinematic and engaging. Although... the first few enemy encounters might scare her away. The demo is almost a good presentation of how quickly the game throws you into a ton of enemies at you.

Tenbatsu

dgenx said:
huh?are you telling RE5 is only 8 to 10 hours long? I guess they spend all the disk space in nice graphs and cutscenes...

I wonder how's the replayability

Come on GAF hype me on this
I finished the game, total in game play time is 13hrs. If minus the time I wasted on sight seeing, its round 10hrs. Replayability value will be high as there is co-op. This time round I felt there are not much variation in the enemies design. And due to the fact they wanted the game to be co-op based, the game became too linear and a shooting feast. Or more arcade feel.

pizzaguysrevenge said:

They did it. Those bastards actually did the impossible.
The boss fights are like Zelda, once you figure it out its easy as hell (except some).

momolicious said:
I am curious to why its so short when they have been working on this game for so long
I can only say they spent alot of time to make the game look great.

cvxfreak

Yes, it should be noted that while you technically can explore, and that there are very nice areas in the game, the game feels very linear. There is one real puzzle in the game that is not difficult to solve. What you usually do is walk into a room, find a key and then hit the exit. The co-op function does end up being a very huge theme in the game, but there's an uncanny number of switches, ropes, levers, etc. that come in pairs. :lol

Plot-wise... well, speaking in pure volume, RE5 has the "least" amount of pure content in the series. There's plenty to read, and there is back story, but I'm honestly feeling a bit of "RE3 Plot Syndrome" where what happens is important, but it's not MUCH. When you look at the main series up to this point, in general RE3 is the least plot-filled, but what it DOES show happens to be very important. Furthermore, some of the plot seems eeriely similar to Gun Survivor 4/Dead Aim. I feel Umbrella Chronicles has done more for the series' overall plot than RE5 has.

Still having tons of fun, but in terms of first playthrough impressions, RE5 definitely is nowhere near the top. The last RE game that I played in which I felt the first playthrough was relatively unfulfilling was Zero, which I had to get adjusted to. But I haven't gotten that same "WOW WOW WOW" feeling I got when I first played CV 9 years ago. RE1-RE3 and REmake also provided great first experiences. RE5 lags in that regard, but so did Zero, and I love that game.

While that may be the case, I have a feeling I will grow into RE5 the way I did with the Outbreak games: by playing online and replaying the levels and becoming good at them. RE5 has the best replay value in the series by far.

Sectus

cvxfreak said:
Plot-wise... well, speaking in pure volume, RE5 has the "least" amount of pure content in the series. There's plenty to read, and there is back story, but I'm honestly feeling a bit of "RE3 Plot Syndrome" where what happens is important, but it's not MUCH. When you look at the main series up to this point, in general RE3 is the least plot-filled, but what it DOES show happens to be very important. Furthermore, some of the plot seems eeriely similar to Gun Survivor 4/Dead Aim. I feel Umbrella Chronicles has done more for the series' overall plot than RE5 has.
Please PLEASE take back those words :p

Umbrella Chronicles did nothing but butcher the storylines of previous games by showing extremely simple versions of them, and adding side stories where absolutely nothing happened. What did Rebecca do between 0 and 1? She slept, and walked around crying about where the bravo team is. Damnit, they did the same thing about RE1. Chris and Jill do NOTHING but talk constantly about where alpha and bravo team is, they don't seem to care at all about the mystery of the mansion, the zombies or the research labs. The only side story which seemed to have any depth to it was Ada's mission.

And ugh... the new storyline they added about Chris and Jill going to infiltrate the russian umbrella lab is just stupid. Especially stupid considering they had so few ideas they had to start take stuff from the liveaction RE movies.

Sorry about that rant, but story-wise I really despise Umbrella Chronicles. The story in RE games usually make little sense, and UC managed to put the story in an even worse light.

I like that RE5 includes a ton of backstory for the characters and re-tells the overall story in a way which makes more sense. And they finally canonically confirm that Rebecca and Barry both survived the mansion incident (another thing Umbrella Chronicles messed up, it didn't feature Barry at all).

In my opinion, RE5's story is the best one since REmake. Not that it's amazing, it just isn't as bad as games like UC, RE0 or RE4.

Sectus

Red Blaster said:
Fission mailed. Poor Zenith.
Okay, I may be wrong, but didn't Zenith mainly counter that guy who said the game is only 7-8 hours long? Because the game is most definitely not that short. Shorter than RE4, sure, but it's close to the same length and features much less backtracking (which probably made it easier for the RE4 devs to make it longer).

cvxfreak

Sectus said:
Please PLEASE take back those words :p

Umbrella Chronicles did nothing but butcher the storylines of previous games by showing extremely simple versions of them, and adding side stories where absolutely nothing happened. What did Rebecca do between 0 and 1? She slept, and walked around crying about where the bravo team is. Damnit, they did the same thing about RE1. Chris and Jill do NOTHING but talk constantly about where alpha and bravo team is, they don't seem to care at all about the mystery of the mansion, the zombies or the research labs. The only side story which seemed to have any depth to it was Ada's mission.

And ugh... the new storyline they added about Chris and Jill going to infiltrate the russian umbrella lab is just stupid. Especially stupid considering they had so few ideas they had to start take stuff from the liveaction RE movies.

Sorry about that rant, but story-wise I really despise Umbrella Chronicles. The story in RE games usually make little sense, and UC managed to put the story in an even worse light.

I like that RE5 includes a ton of backstory for the characters and re-tells the overall story in a way which makes more sense. And they finally canonically confirm that Rebecca and Barry both survived the mansion incident (another thing Umbrella Chronicles messed up, it didn't feature Barry at all).

In my opinion, RE5's story is the best one since REmake. Not that it's amazing, it just isn't as bad as games like UC, RE0 or RE4.

Disagree completely. I can sum up RE5's story in one sentence. Can't really do that for any other game other than RE3.

AkuMifune

Banned
cvxfreak said:
While that may be the case, I have a feeling I will grow into RE5 the way I did with the Outbreak games: by playing online and replaying the levels and becoming good at them. RE5 has the best replay value in the series by far.

I've had basically the same feeling so far. What it lacks in exploration and plot is made up by the fun I've been having going through the levels and my anticipation of playing through the harder difficulties with friends. I'm already excited to go through it again co-op and I've only just started Chapter 3.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm the sort of person who played through RE4 so much that it wouldn't have mattered to me if I was playing through it without textures, in a bright-pink polygonal environment. The level design was just so good.

Does RE5 offer RE4 quality level design? The demo seemed to indicate as much, but it would be nice to hear from someone who has played the full game.

Also, the co-op aspects have me pretty excited. Without spoiling anything significant, do Capcom do some interesting things with the co-op later in the game? Does the level design support the two characters and different strategies well?

cvxfreak said:
Disagree completely. I can sum up RE5's story in one sentence. Can't really do that for any other game other than RE3.

I know, I need at least two sentences for RE4:

"The President's daughter has been kidnapped by crazed locals.

Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the President's daughter?"

very minor spoiler(aka something you should expect if you played RE4)

I was laughing so hard when the dude I was playing with kept messing up the QTE event to save my life near the end of chaper one. We had to do that event like 5-7 times, I think.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I know, I need at least two sentences for RE4:

"The President's daughter has been kidnapped by crazed locals.

Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the President's daughter?"
If they did this, then plunged you into re5 with no other cutscenes or story, id be there day 1 :D

masterkajo

Don't know if it has been already asked but: Just a small question if someone has already installed the XBox 360 version. Are there differences to playing it from the DVD?

cvxfreak

Rez said:
I'm the sort of person who played through RE4 so much that it wouldn't have mattered to me if I was playing through it without textures, in a bright-pink polygonal environment. The level design was just so good.

Does RE5 offer RE4 quality level design? The demo seemed to indicate as much, but it would be nice to hear from someone who has played the full game.

Also, the co-op aspects have me pretty excited. Without spoiling anything significant, do Capcom do some interesting things with the co-op later in the game? Does the level design support the two characters and different strategies well?

I think it does offer excellent level design:
the marshlands area and the African village (NOT the Kijuju shanty) are fuck-awesome. And then we get an Umbrella lab at the end that's nowhere near as memorable as any of the ones before it. :(
But it's good. :D

Sectus

Rez said:

I'm probably starting to sound like the most biased fanatical fan ever, but I definitely think the level design is RE4 quality and better. There's some great areas I remember from RE4 like the village scene and others, and I played several scenes which I thought had better design in RE5. For instance, the public assembly which is in the demo, that's really a great area.
Which is also an even better mercenaries stage
. There's also some areas which probably had even better design than I was even aware of, for instance a few areas where I killed all the enemies and when I started exploring I noticed there was a rooftop or similar I could climb up to, which would have changed the battle considerably if I noticed it earlier.

The general pacing is very similar to RE4. You have these spectacular battles in big open areas like public assembly (and village scene in RE4), but you also have many other areas with a slower pace where you just mainly explore and there's far fewer enemies.

There's not that many areas where you're completely forced to cooperative in a specific way. For instance in the second level in the demo where Sheva jumps to the other building so she can open a door, which forces the players to do something rather specific, but something like that doesn't happen all too often in the full game. Something which happens more often is that you have 2 levers you have to use simultanously, but they're really far away. So you can choose whether to rush it and do it right away, or kill all enemies and then use the levers.

I think one thing which works great regarding coop is the non-linear design of the bigger battles. You're rarely forced to do anything specific there, but just the design of those areas works naturally great for coop because you have so many options. The friend I'm playing with right now really loves sniping, so whenever we got to an area like that his first tactic is usually to find the safest high spot in the area, and then stay there and snipe, and cover me while I explore and find out what we need to do in the area.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
cvxfreak said:
I think it does offer excellent level design:
the marshlands area and the African village (NOT the Kijuju shanty) are fuck-awesome. And then we get an Umbrella lab at the end that's nowhere near as memorable as any of the ones before it. :(
But it's good. :D

Sectus said:
I'm probably starting to sound like the most biased fanatical fan ever, but I definitely think the level design is RE4 quality and better. There's some great areas I remember from RE4 like the village scene and others, and I played several scenes which I thought had better design in RE5. For instance, the public assembly which is in the demo, that's really a great area.
Which is also an even better mercenaries stage
. There's also some areas which probably had even better design than I was even aware of, for instance a few areas where I killed all the enemies and when I started exploring I noticed there was a rooftop or similar I could climb up to, which would have changed the battle considerably if I noticed it earlier.

The general pacing is very similar to RE4. You have these spectacular battles in big open areas like public assembly (and village scene in RE4), but you also have many other areas with a slower pace where you just mainly explore and there's far fewer enemies.

There's not that many areas where you're completely forced to cooperative in a specific way. For instance in the second level in the demo where Sheva jumps to the other building so she can open a door, which forces the players to do something rather specific, but something like that doesn't happen all too often in the full game. Something which happens more often is that you have 2 levers you have to use simultanously, but they're really far away. So you can choose whether to rush it and do it right away, or kill all enemies and then use the levers.

I think one thing which works great regarding coop is the non-linear design of the bigger battles. You're rarely forced to do anything specific there, but just the design of those areas works naturally great for coop because you have so many options. The friend I'm playing with right now really loves sniping, so whenever we got to an area like that his first tactic is usually to find the safest high spot in the area, and then stay there and snipe, and cover me while I explore and find out what we need to do in the area.
Good to hear, thanks guys. :D The bolded part in particular.

Like I said, the level design and general pacing (big areas mixed with smaller, slower areas) are my favourite things about RE4 (among other things, obviously), so it's good to hear that they're still intact.

Top Bottom