• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

USD

masterkajo said:
Another small question as some people already finished the game. Do you get the achievements/trophies for easy and normal when you play on hard? Or do I have to play it for each difficulty?
If it's like Capcom's other games, beating the game on hard will unlock the achievements for easy and normal as well. It's most likely the same case here.

Videogamer.com did something strange in talking about race, they showed it to one of the UK's cultural anthropologist and guess what: He didn't feel it was racist. Heck, he even found an implicit anti-colonial theme in the game. Really a very interesting article talking about cultural themes in the game. It's a lot more than the simple "Oh Chris Kills Black People, RACIST!!!"

http://www.videogamer.com/news/06-03-2009-10832-1.html

I know some have heard about the issue way too much, but I feel this article and interview presents the situation in a whole new light.

gantz85

Banned
DarkUSS said:

First day sales of Resident Evil 5 are in from Japan. The game sold four times as much on the PlayStation 3 (PS3 222,000 vs 360 56,000). According to Ameblo.jp Resident Evil 5 sold 278,000 on its first day in Japan.

What's more incredible is that Resident Evil 5 has beaten launch day sales of Resident Evil 4. The game sold 117,000 copies on the Gamecube in January 2005 and 145,000 copies on the PlayStation 2 in December 2005.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, now that some folks have both versions of RE5, can we get some proper comparisons? CVX (or anyone, for that matter), would you care to comment on the differences between the PS3 and 360 version? It doesn't need to be in depth, I simply want to know if the framerate is still unstable on the PS3.

Interfectum

dark10x said:
OK, now that some folks have both versions of RE5, can we get some proper comparisons? CVX (or anyone, for that matter), would you care to comment on the differences between the PS3 and 360 version? It doesn't need to be in depth, I simply want to know if the framerate is still unstable on the PS3.

Why not just get the 360 version? From everything I've read that's the one to get.

cvxfreak said:
In terms of pure experience and ignoring technical and gameplay merit (i.e. the feeling I had as a fan when playing RE5 the first time), it would probably be RECV > RE4 > REmake > RE2 > RE1 > RE3 > RE0 > RE5

In terms of holding up in subsequent playthroughs, without considering RE5, it would probably be something like RE4 > RECVX > RE3 > RE2 > RE0 > RE1 > REmake.

I'm really surprised that RE5 is actually at the bottom of your first list. I'd figure because of the major story elements to continue the Umbrella story would have bumped it up a bit. Hmmmmm I'm dissapointed yet enthralled all the same. I'll be going into the game with just a tad lowered expectations now considering you are a fan and have played them as such as myself.

Also I'm a huge fan of Resident Evil Code Veronica as well. My favorites being RE4, RE2, Code Veronica and Remake.

Well I'll get my copy today. :D

Interfectum said:
Why not just get the 360 version? From everything I've read that's the one to get.

Personal Controller Preference. I have both systems, but I just use the PS3 controller most of the time and I'm used to it. Barring some HUGE graphical messups, it's just something I prefer (that and PSN is free and my friends use it).

gantz85

Banned
Interfectum said:

From everything you've read where? The FUD that's being spread or reputable sources like reviews? Just pass down a couple to Dark or quote them here for us to read.

Say you started a game on SP...could you play as Sheva instead of Chris? It's been said before but I appreciate that she takes up less of the screen.

FrankT

Interfectum said:

Yup, German Gamepro review stated the issues pretty much everyone had stated here from the demo and that is about as final copy as you can get.

cvxfreak said:
In terms of pure experience and ignoring technical and gameplay merit (i.e. the feeling I had as a fan when playing RE5 the first time), it would probably be RECV > RE4 > REmake > RE2 > RE1 > RE3 > RE0 > RE5

In terms of holding up in subsequent playthroughs, without considering RE5, it would probably be something like RE4 > RECVX > RE3 > RE2 > RE0 > RE1 > REmake.

Hmm, doesn't sound good at that rate.

Kyleripman said:
Say you started a game on SP...could you play as Sheva instead of Chris? It's been said before but I appreciate that she takes up less of the screen.

Once you clear an area. There is apparently new dialog for Chris even and was designed with this in mind (so no odd gaps because of switched characters).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Kyleripman said:

spoiler tagging it in case ..

i've read that once you beat the game as chris, an alternate mode where sheva can be controlled in SP becomes unlocked, can't confirm since haven't beaten the game yet myself ..

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Interfectum said:
"I" want to buy the 360 version, however, I will also be playing through this game with a friend in CO-OP right away and they want the PS3 version. It's not really an argument, per se, but I would like to know for certain one way or another.

Out of curiosity, are the save files locked?

Laurent

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Videogamer.com did something strange in talking about race, they showed it to one of the UK's cultural anthropologist and guess what: He didn't feel it was racist. Heck, he even found an implicit anti-colonial theme in the game. Really a very interesting article talking about cultural themes in the game. It's a lot more than the simple "Oh Chris Kills Black People, RACIST!!!"

http://www.videogamer.com/news/06-03-2009-10832-1.html

I know some have heard about the issue way too much, but I feel this article and interview presents the situation in a whole new light.
Very interesting read, thanks!

Blueblur1

So the save system is different (only one file) and you can't have separate playthroughs? Capcom, why would you mess with something that clearly was not broken to begin with?

Teknoman

Sucks that Mercenaries mode isnt online. Maybe they'll patch that eventually...or one of the other unlocked modes is online.

EDIT: Did they fix that PSN greyed out screen co-op glitch?

Nemesis_

I just finished a pretty decent playthrough of the game and I am very impressed. That being said, I've yet to come close to finishing. I think I am about halfway but I am not 100% sure. So far, I've clocked up 6 hours.

Heaps of boss battles, some really nice and interesting characters (I really like Sheva) and a bunch of cutscenes that aren't too long but aren't too short either. The cutscenes feel just like movies, and the characters react just as you would expect them too. Voice acting is top notch as always, and there's alot of emotion, particularly in Sheva's face which adds to it ALOT.

I particularly like the interactions between Chris & Sheva as things start to go a little less as planned, and some of the interactions between Birdwoman and Irving are nice too - I like their relationship (though I've not seen a lot of them).

New weapons are fairly awesome too, with some just being down right fun (to give a hint, it was featured in RE4 but was an enemy-exclusive weapon). There's heaps to unlock too.

Some really awesome flashback scenes too! Very nice for the old school RE fan.

Within the first two hours, this game has already surpassed RE4 as being so much more enjoyable and just downright disturbing. Some of the worst enemies in the game also come simply from nature - and are definitely the creepiest.

The game for me oozes atmosphere. The opening scene where Chris is walking down the streets of Kijuju as the villagers stare is something that I cannot ever forget - the eeriness of the whole situation as the citizens just stop doing their cruel and inhumane acts just to stare at you as you walk down the main road. Brilliant stuff.

Cannot wait to put some more time into this tomorrow. =)

Erebus

Nemesis556 said:
I just finished a pretty decent playthrough of the game and I am very impressed. That being said, I've yet to come close to finishing. I think I am about halfway but I am not 100% sure. So far, I've clocked up 6 hours.

Heaps of boss battles, some really nice and interesting characters (I really like Sheva) and a bunch of cutscenes that aren't too long but aren't too short either. The cutscenes feel just like movies, and the characters react just as you would expect them too. Voice acting is top notch as always, and there's alot of emotion, particularly in Sheva's face which adds to it ALOT.

I particularly like the interactions between Chris & Sheva as things start to go a little less as planned, and some of the interactions between Birdwoman and Irving are nice too - I like their relationship (though I've not seen a lot of them).

New weapons are fairly awesome too, with some just being down right fun (to give a hint, it was featured in RE4 but was an enemy-exclusive weapon). There's heaps to unlock too.

Within the first two hours, this game has already surpassed RE4 as being so much more enjoyable and just downright disturbing. Some of the worst enemies in the game also come simply from nature - and are definitely the creepiest.

The game for me oozes atmosphere. The opening scene where Chris is walking down the streets of Kijuju as the villagers stare is something that I cannot ever forget - the eeriness of the whole situation as the citizens just stop doing their cruel and inhumane acts just to stare at you as you walk down the main road. Brilliant stuff.

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the impressions. :D

Nemesis556 said:

Awesome impressions dude! Makes the wait to get my copy today just a tad bit harder! :D

Laurent

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Yeah, it was a lot more in-depth and intelligent then I expected. I give the person credit for taking the time to look deeper at the issue.
I never saw the movie Black Hawk Down (yeah I know I suck), I was curious to see the scene they kept refering too but it doesn't seem to be on YouTube... maybe there wasn't a big debate around it being racist as well?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
cvxfreak said:
FUUUUUUUUUCK. Even worse than RE0? Man, my hype just took one hell of a drop. Shit, I thought it looked awesome in the stream but I trust the world's biggest RE fan more than anything.

Pre-order cancelled. Thanks. I already saw all the major stuff anyway.

The environments are oh so widely varied and they ALL feel so fresh and tremendously visceral. They're also downright gorgeous; Outstanding textures, lighting, animations, and other environmental elements. Superb sound as well; Crank up the Dolby boys!

It all looks, sounds, and feels super polished.

This one's definetely demo disk status for your kickass HD rig :D

TheCardPlayer

Teknoman said:
IGN was wrong about Mercenaries mode not being online from the start?
Yeah it's online. The guy in the stream plays it on Live all the time. The menu goes

Solo( with the option to play alone)
Split screen
XBox Live

Nemesis556 said:

Uh... isn't this series famous for having the worst voice acting in the history of... voices?

To those worried about the short length of the game, I will say this:

Though I'm not done playing through the game, I am pretty close to finishing it; and
short as it may be, there is (for me at least) an instant, giddy compulsion to want to play through this bad boy again with no reservations.

Tenbatsu said:
I finished the game, total in game play time is 13hrs. If minus the time I wasted on sight seeing, its round 10hrs. Replayability value will be high as there is co-op.

I'm gathering a pretty clear, unspoken message from this thread:

If you can't find somebody to play co-op with you, this game is a rental.

TheCardPlayer

David H Wong said:
I'm gathering a pretty clear, unspoken message from this thread:

If you can't find somebody to play co-op with you, this game is a rental.
Shit, cvxfreak is the biggest RE fan around. He knows his shit. If he says it's worse than RE0, you know the game is fucking garbage.

I just called the store and asked them to cancel my pre-order. Goddammit Capcom. At least my initial feeling didn't decieve me. I always knew it was going to blow anyway.

TheCardPlayer

Duck Amuck said:
It's pretty obvious reading people's comments that it's a dissapointment. The only thing keeping people from bashing it is pure hype and the fact that it's new in their mind. Read between the lines, the backlash is coming.

halfway through chapter 4 right now and so far the experience has been up and down. If it weren't for the antics of the random people I've been playing with, the game would be probably kinda boring. Nothing great has happened so far, and a few of the boss fights were REALLY disappointing.

The game is in no way terrible, though. It just seems to be a pretty average ride with some very short moments of bleh. Overall I'm still enjoying the experience and I STILL can't wait to play it with actual friends.

TheCardPlayer said:
Shit, cvxfreak is the biggest RE fan around. He knows his shit. If he says it's worse than RE0, you know the game is fucking garbage.

I just called the store and asked them to cancel my pre-order. Goddammit Capcom. At least my initial feeling didn't decieve me. I always knew it was going to blow anyway.

Your post makes me sad. I might not be as hardcore as CVXfreak but I'd consider myself a huge RE fan. Own all the games, multiple iterations on systems, chainsaw controllers, figures, the lot. Even with what he said im still getting it. You shouldn't let one persons view sway it for you so much to cancel your pre-order. Granted cvxfreak is one hardcore mofo concerning RE, doesn't meant you might find it better then he did.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
cvxfreak said:
In terms of pure experience and ignoring technical and gameplay merit (i.e. the feeling I had as a fan when playing RE5 the first time), it would probably be RECV > RE4 > REmake > RE2 > RE1 > RE3 > RE0 > RE5.

wow

like daggers in my resident evil lovin' heart

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
uhh.. I think Halo Wars it is then!

I'll wait till it drop price

what a shame RE5
20gd0km.png

Right now im seeing a mixed reaction. Some people think its awesome, some people think its decent. This is coming from both casual fans and hardcore fans.

TheCardPlayer

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Your post makes me sad. I might not be as hardcore as CVXfreak but I'd consider myself a huge RE fan. Own all the games, multiple iterations on systems, chainsaw controllers, figures, the lot. Even with what he said im still getting it. You should let one persons view sway it for you so much to cancel your pre-order. Granted cvxfreak is one hardcore mofo concerning RE, doesn't meant you might find it better then he did.
Sorry but his opinion on RE is nearly the same as mine, as I am one of the few who think RECV is amongst the best and since he loves RE4 you know, he's not a new style RE hater. Consider that he spent thousands on the series and he bought every single version of every game.

If he says it sucks, even with his hype, you know the game is just garbage. Like I said, I cancelled my pre-order. No regrets. At least I won't be as dissapointed as some people here who are clinging to their hype.

TheCardPlayer said:
Sorry but his opinion on RE is nearly the same as mine, as I am one of the few who think RECV is amongst the best and since he loves RE4 you know, he's not a new style RE hater. Consider that he spent thousands on the series and he bought every single version of every game.

If he says it sucks, even with his hype. You know the game is just garbage. Like I said, I cancelled my pre-order. No regrets. At least I won't be as dissapointed as some people here who are clinging to their hype.

Well it will be interesting for me then because Code Veronica is a favorite of mine along with 4 and I myself have spent hundreds of dollars on Resident Evil stuff. If I come away dissapointed... hmmmmm

*edit* Saying its garbage is pretty rough. I don't think anywhere in his post did he say it was garbage or that is sucks. I think he said he enjoyed the hell out of it.

Facism

Guess i won't need an answer on whether the shitty PS3 performance in splitscreen is still a part of the full game.

TheCardPlayer

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well it will be interesting for me then because Code Veronica is a favorite of mine along with 4 and I myself have spent hundreds of dollars on Resident Evil stuff. If I come away dissapointed... hmmmmm
You WILL be dissapointed. Come on man, he even liked RE0 more than it and RE0 is just horrible. :lol

Man, did Capcom screw up hard. Without Mikami the series is pretty much dead.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
*edit* and saying its garbage is pretty rough. I don't think anywhere in his post did he say it was garbage. I think he said he enjoyed the hell out of it also.
He spent hundreds of dollars to play the game. Of course, he won't say he hates it right now. Give it a few days. It's obvious that there is going to be a terrible backlash against the game.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
TheCardPlayer said:

If he says it sucks, even with his hype, you know the game is just garbage. Like I said, I cancelled my pre-order. No regrets. At least I won't be as dissapointed as some people here who are clinging to their hype.
So...you're trolling a game. You haven't played yet, You already canceled your pre order on, and is entirely based off one huge fan's opinion.

Got it. :lol

TheCardPlayer said:
You WILL be dissapointed. Come on man, he even liked RE0 more than it and RE0 is just horrible. :lol

Man, did Capcom screw up hard. Without Mikami the series is pretty much dead.

Well I'm getting my copy today so I will post my views on the game after completeing it. RE zero I enjoyed but its probably my least favorite. Still a good game though.

TheCardPlayer said:
He spent hundreds of dollars to play the game. Of course, he won't say he hates it right now. Give it a few days. It's obvious that there is going to be a terrible backlash against the game.

Regardless of how much I spend on anything, if I think it sucks, I'll admit it outright.

Aquanox

dark10x said:

You can see two PS3's retail Gameplay Videos here: (more to come today)

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7602_en.html

Framerate has been improved from the demo but I have noticed some drop downs even with few enemies on screen.

I have the Xbox 360 version of the game and I can say it's performed rock solid so far and also looks quite noticeably better than the PS3 version to my eye, in terms of lightning, colors and overall detail.

Top Bottom