• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

cvxfreak said:
I'm on the last boss fight.

RE5 is definitely shorter and less meatier than RE4 as a whole. Imagine cutting out the castle in RE4, and you have RE5's length.

The boss fights are fairly difficult, and it isn't always obvious what you have to do. But I'm having a great time. It's just that I've never ever finished an RE on the first day I've owned it, so I'm a little surprised that I waited so many years to play RE5 only to end up finishing it in a day. :lol

Maybe cause you played like 12 hours non stop. :p

Damn, is it that short, the castle was like the meat of the game for RE4, cut that out and you have a short game.

Anyway the usual questions, what was your final time? What difficulty did you play on?

Also why dont I see any trophies for you on PSN?

cvxfreak

MiamiWesker said:
Maybe cause you played like 12 hours non stop. :p

Damn, is it that short, the castle was like the meat of the game for RE4, cut that out and you have a short game.

Anyway the usual questions, what was your final time? What difficulty did you play on?

Also why dont I see any trophies for you on PSN?

I haven't quite finished yet. I'm literally at the last boss fight, but I need to redo some sections since I'm severely short on ammo. Nor have I synced my trophies yet into my profile. RE4 took me like 16 hours the first try, while I could have been done with RE5 already if the final boss weren't a good challenge in patience.

Speaking of ammo... I think that's the biggest difference between RE4 and RE5. Ammo seems much harder to come by in RE5. I'm always having to be decent with conservation, just like the traditional series.

Sectus

masterkajo said:
Don't know if it has been already asked but: Just a small question if someone has already installed the XBox 360 version. Are there differences to playing it from the DVD?
I haven't played it non-installed but I get the impression there should be a noticable difference. With each loading screen there's a random quote from the "history of resident evil" file. When the game is installed, the game loads so fast you don't have time to even read half of that quote.

I've noticed the game takes a really long time to save though. I can remember reading Gears of War having a bug or something where saving takes an extra long time when the game is installed so perhaps RE5 is the same thing.

cvxfreak said:
I haven't quite finished yet. I'm literally at the last boss fight, but I need to redo some sections since I'm severely short on ammo. Nor have I synced my trophies yet into my profile. RE4 took me like 16 hours the first try, while I could have been done with RE5 already if the final boss weren't a good challenge in patience.

Speaking of ammo... I think that's the biggest difference between RE4 and RE5. Ammo seems much harder to come by in RE5. I'm always having to be decent with conservation, just like the traditional series.

:D

I noticed that in the demo today when I played with a friend, I was running out of ammo. Great to hear that conservation is important.

Tenbatsu

I finished the game without replaying any old chapters, personally feel that herbs are more rare than ammo. If am not wrong, you are not
penalize for using first aid spray

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to play through on Hard the first time through, in single player. Hopefully the game is well balanced on Hard. I want to actually be afraid of the Executioner, not killing him in less than a minute, like I am in the demo. :lol

Sectus

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, that's something I've forgotten to mention. In every RE game I've found it rather easy to stockpile ammo, and about halfway through the game I'd have so much ammo it destroyed a large part of the challenge. But I struggled with ammo pretty much throughout the entire game in RE5. I think ammo is a bit easier to find in chapter 5, but overall ammo is something you'll treasure.

On the other hand, thanks to the inventory system which I still find stupid, you could just grind the start of any chapters to stockpile ammo or gold. But well, if you avoid stuff like that then ammo conservation is very important.

And to anyone who's playing the game for the first time, I would highly recommend to start with veteran difficulty. That seems to be the best choice considering veteran will suddenly become vastly easier if you've already completed the game once (which kinda defeats the purpose of it being a harder mode).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Can't you just start a new game? You sure you're not missing an option somewhere?

Sectus said:
Yeah, that's something I've forgotten to mention. In every RE game I've found it rather easy to stockpile ammo, and about halfway through the game I'd have so much ammo it destroyed a large part of the challenge. But I struggled with ammo pretty much throughout the entire game in RE5. I think ammo is a bit easier to find in chapter 5, but overall ammo is something you'll treasure.

On the other hand, thanks to the inventory system which I still find stupid, you could just grind the start of any chapters to stockpile ammo or gold. But well, if you avoid stuff like that then ammo conservation is very important.

And to anyone who's playing the game for the first time, I would highly recommend to start with veteran difficulty. That seems to be the best choice considering veteran will suddenly become vastly easier if you've already completed the game once (which kinda defeats the purpose of it being a harder mode).

Yeah I was thinking about which difficulty I wanted to play and realized that on a second playthrough it would keep my weapons, better to do it the true way on verteran. Also I plan to do a new file for the hardest mode when I decide to do that.

I dont get what you mean about the start of the chapters.

Sectus

Rez said:
Can't you just start a new game? You sure you're not missing an option somewhere?
Nope, the "new game" option even disappears once you've already started the game. After that, your inventory and item box is permanent. What's there will stay there no matter what difficulty and chapter you decide to play on (even if you play online too). Same goes for gold, ammo and upgrades, it's all permanent. Once you've completed the game once, you unlock the ability to use weapons with infinite ammo... which kinda makes the problem worse. At the very least there's a toggle for infinite ammo, and when playing online there's a search filter for games with or without infinite ammo toggled.

Edit: One possible solution to this is deleting the savegame (although that would be drastic and you'd lose all your unlockables). Or sell everything in your inventory, then buy everything in the store, and then sell everything again. If you do, you just end up with no items and very very little gold.

There's even a game breaking bug related to this. If you replay the very first chapter with the M92F equipped in any inventory you can't proceed any further. There's a short scene where an NPC gives you 2 handguns (the M92F), but you can't carry 2 of the exact same gun, but that scene won't proceed unless you pick up the guns. So you're forced to quit, remove the pistols from the inventory and then replay that scene.

Sectus said:
Nope, the "new game" option even disappears once you've already started the game. After that, your inventory and item box is permanent. What's there will stay there no matter what difficulty and chapter you decide to play on (even if you play online too). Same goes for gold, ammo and upgrades, it's all permanent. Once you've completed the game once, you unlock the ability to use weapons with infinite ammo... which kinda makes the problem worse. At the very least there's a toggle for infinite ammo, and when playing online there's a search filter for games with or without infinite ammo toggled.

Wah? That sounds crappy. So you basically have to start a completely new save file, like an overall RE5 game file to start a game fresh, wtf. You cant go online fresh either. How do I make sure some dude doesnt enter my game with a damn rocket launcher.

EDIT: Oh god that bug sounds terrible. Wait can't you just discard the gun you had?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sectus said:
Mmm... that's convenient in a lot of ways, but it's just stupid that you can't just start over blank. It's probably a carry over from the DMC4 (same engine and all).

Sectus

There's one rather neat thing I should mention which I think people will be happy to hear. This is probably a spoiler, but it's so minor I don't think anyone would be upset about reading it, but I'll tag it as such anyway.

After you've completed the game once, you unlock the ability to play as Sheva as the "main character". That is, after selecting any chapter you also have to choose Chris or Sheva, and then the AI or second player will control Chris. This doesn't really change coop play much, but it makes singleplayer a bit differently. It does feel a bit weird to play as Sheva and see Chris follow you around and take orders. All the scripting is changed to accomodate for this, and you'll hear new dialogue from Chris which Sheva would normally say.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sectus said:
There's one rather neat thing I should mention which I think people will be happy to hear. This is probably a spoiler, but it's so minor I don't think anyone would be upset about reading it, but I'll tag it as such anyway.

After you've completed the game once, you unlock the ability to play as Sheva as the "main character". That is, after selecting any chapter you also have to choose Chris or Sheva, and then the AI or second player will control Chris. This doesn't really change coop play much, but it makes singleplayer a bit differently. It does feel a bit weird to play as Sheva and see Chris follow you around and take orders. All the scripting is changed to accomodate for this, and you'll hear new dialogue from Chris which Sheva would normally say.
:D :D :D

I wouldn't even call that a spoiler. I'm glad that's in there. :D

Sectus

Rez said:
Mmm... that's convenient in a lot of ways, but it's just stupid that you can't just start over blank. It's probably a carry over from the DMC4 (same engine and all).
One thing which really annoys me about it is online play. One thing I liked about the demo is that I could easily play online with random people and have fun playing and seeing their unique playing style, and the demo ensured it was always balanced because of the equipment you started with. But in the full game I can't do that. If I join another person's game there's a chance he has super powerful weapons or infinite ammo which makes everything pathetically easy. It's also very unlikely that my own equipment is balanced for the chapter he's playing.

One thing which confuses me is that when you've completed the game once the "continue game" button changes to "new game +" button. You'd think "new game +" would be different and that's where balance is thrown out the window, but it has no purpose. "New game +" is the same as choosing chapter 1-1 at any time in the "choose chapter" menu. It would have been perfect if they made inventory specific for each playthrough, and let "new game +" be the mode where you can use anything at any time for the heck of it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Getting this in a few hours. Looking quite forward to playing through the game, hopefully in co-op, but after reading through some comments it sounds like RE5 is not as good as RE4 was. I can't say I'm surprised; RE4 is one of my all-time favorite games, period, and so if RE5 even comes close to being as good as it was I'll be quite satisfied.

Is it true that the ending is just
Chris taking out Wesker with a rocket launcher, and then flying off into the sunset with two other characters?
That's kind of weak, but then so are most RE endings. :p

Also any links to pictures of the unlockable outfits and weapons?

Sectus

MiamiWesker said:
EDIT: Oh god that bug sounds terrible. Wait can't you just discard the gun you had?
You can normally discard your weapon, but in that specific scene you can't. You just have to remember to NEVER bring any M92F if you're playing chapter 1-1.

bomb_jack

The cattle prod is the most fun weapon in the game so far. I've found myself having to use it a lot in Chapter 3 seeing as how those chainsaw fuckers soak up so many bullets.

Sectus

Lyte Edge said:
Is it true that the ending is just
Chris taking out Wesker with a rocket launcher, and then flying off into the sunset with two other characters?
That's kind of weak, but then so are most RE endings. :p
That is technically correct, but it simplifies it. The boss fight with Wesker has so many stages to it that it's just ridiculous. It reminded me of Onimusha 4 where the final boss fight was actually 3-4 completely different boss fights in a row. And yeah, the ending is just the characters flying off in the sunset in a helicopter and all you see in the horizon is ocean. I think it's an homage to RE4 and RE1 which basically ended the same way.

kuYuri

For anyone interested, I took a look at US RE5 Home space. It's actually pretty cool, looks like part of the Kijuju village from the game. I saw an arcade game in there, but it can't be played unless you have the RE5 disc inside. They are planning to have some mini-game to play in there, as well as some upcoming event.

I also saw a store within there, though it's also not open yet, so I'm not sure what they will end up selling. I'll come back at a later time to check it all these other things that aren't available yet. Should be interesting.

Does anyone know if there's a Biohazard 5 Home space for Japanese Home?

Nemesis_

9ssb52.jpg

SOOOO HAPPY :D

Interesting things: -

1.) 360 Making Of DVD is in a steelbook, while PS3 is just a standard CD case.
2.) Obviously difference in box sizes too.
3.) I got Sheva on both discs, did anyone get Chris or Wesker?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Strider2K99 said:
For anyone interested, I took a look at US RE5 Home space. It's actually pretty cool, looks like part of the Kijuju village from the game. I saw an arcade game in there, but it can't be played unless you have the RE5 disc inside. They are planning to have some mini-game to play in there, as well as some upcoming event.

I also saw a store within there, though it's also not open yet, so I'm not sure what they will end up selling. I'll come back at a later time to check it all these other things that aren't available yet. Should be interesting.

Does anyone know if there's a Biohazard 5 Home space for Japanese Home?
It's identical, I think.

I booted up Home for the first time since it launched to check out the RE5 space. It was neat, Home would be better off if all the areas were similar to this (as in, lifted from games that people care about).

EDIT
Awesome, Nemesis! I look forward to your impressions. :)

Sectus said:

That's awesome, thank you so much for telling us that!

Hold on, you can have multiple saves going on right, like have two different playthroughs at the same time. Say I am playing a single player game but at the same time I am doing a separate game with my friend on co-op, you can have them on two separate files right?

Sectus

MiamiWesker said:
Hold on, you can have multiple saves going on right, like have two different playthroughs at the same time. Say I am playing a single player game but at the same time I am doing a separate game with my friend on co-op, you can have them on two separate files right?
Nope, you can't have more than one savegame. It works the same way as in DMC4, with the exception there's only one save slot. Chapter selection screen shows completion times and ranks for all missions on all difficulties.

Feindflug

Nemesis556 said:
9ssb52.jpg

SOOOO HAPPY :D

Interesting things: -

1.) 360 Making Of DVD is in a steelbook, while PS3 is just a standard CD case.
2.) Obviously difference in box sizes too.
3.) I got Sheva on both discs, did anyone get Chris or Wesker?

Thank God I pre-ordered the Asian 360 version, it looks awesome! much better than the gimped PAL LE version. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Feindflug said:
Thank God I pre-ordered the Asian 360 version, it looks awesome! much better than the gimped PAL LE version. :D
I stuck with the PAL LE because I decided that I liked the tin case.

True story.

Feindflug

Rez said:
I stuck with the PAL LE because I decided that I liked the tin case.

True story.

I went with the Asian version because the PAL LE will be at the same or even higher price here (70-75e) so I said why not get more content and more beautiful package with the same price? tiny bloody chainsaw usb stick ftw! :p

Nemesis_

Feindflug said:
I went with the Asian version because the PAL LE will be at the same or even higher price here (70-75e) so I said why not get more content and more beautiful package with the same price? tiny bloody chainsaw usb stick ftw! :p
Chainsaw USB is surprisingly cool. You rip out the blade and that itself is the USB stick.

If you got the Prince of Persia limited edition, it's the same kind of packaging. The inside is a kijuju / assembly line sky shot and the back is a TRICELL kind of motif.

Aquanox

Imagen001.jpg

Imagen002.jpg

Imagen004.jpg

Imagen006.jpg

Imagen007.jpg

Some pictures of the Xbox 360 version of the game.

I'm very impressed with the visual quality. As I said before, it looks like MGS4 in terms of detail but with a vastly bigger color palette.

cvxfreak

Magicpaint said:
I'm interested in where you rank it alongside the other RE games.

In terms of pure experience and ignoring technical and gameplay merit (i.e. the feeling I had as a fan when playing RE5 the first time), it would probably be RECV > RE4 > REmake > RE2 > RE1 > RE3 > RE0 > RE5

In terms of holding up in subsequent playthroughs, without considering RE5, it would probably be something like RE4 > RECVX > RE3 > RE2 > RE0 > RE1 > REmake.

Those two screenies look fantastic.
cvxfreak said:
In terms of pure experience and ignoring technical and gameplay merit (i.e. the feeling I had as a fan when playing RE5 the first time), it would probably be RECV > RE4 > REmake > RE2 > RE1 > RE3 > RE0 > RE5

In terms of holding up in subsequent playthroughs, without considering RE5, it would probably be something like RE4 > RECVX > RE3 > RE2 > RE0 > RE1 > REmake.
Thanks.

Hmm, I didn't know REmake was your least favourite mainline RE game!

Ok, so it seems RE5 doesn't really give the wow factor like I feared. Does the game have too much of a de ja vu feeling? Are the locations varied enough? Does it have those intensely creepy moments that were sparsely spaced out throughout RE4? How's the general atmosphere like? I want to ask a million questions, but I guess I'll wait for a review or something;)

Mithos

Gold Member
dark10x said:
I actually picked up RE4 Wii on Amazon for $10 during the holiday rush. however, though the image quality is really no better than blowing up the GC version to full screen (which surprised me).

I think the same, and I pretty much guess this IS what Capcom did with the Wii port of Re4 (blowing up the GC version to fit the fullscreen).

masterkajo

Another small question as some people already finished the game. Do you get the achievements/trophies for easy and normal when you play on hard? Or do I have to play it for each difficulty?

cvxfreak said:

o lawwwwwwdd

bomb_jack

One of my biggest gripes is the horrific UI and font design choices. They were working on this game for four years and seriously thought the final look was appealing?

I can understand something like Umbrella Chronicles that had a relatively short development time having a scrappy interface but there's no excuse for 5 having it.

JudgeN

cvxfreak said:

WOW thought I was the only one that puts Code: Veronica in high regard, guess not.

Top Bottom