• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

cvxfreak said:
In terms of pure experience and ignoring technical and gameplay merit (i.e. the feeling I had as a fan when playing RE5 the first time), it would probably be RECV > RE4 > REmake > RE2 > RE1 > RE3 > RE0 > RE5

In terms of holding up in subsequent playthroughs, without considering RE5, it would probably be something like RE4 > RECVX > RE3 > RE2 > RE0 > RE1 > REmake.

That doesn't sounds good, RE0 was the most bland RE experience for me, by far, RE5 being even worst regards that it's some bad news.

TheCardPlayer said:
You WILL be dissapointed. Come on man, he even liked RE0 more than it and RE0 is just horrible. :lol

Man, did Capcom screw up hard. Without Mikami the series is pretty much dead.

He spent hundreds of dollars to play the game. Of course, he won't say he hates it right now. Give it a few days. It's obvious that there is going to be a terrible backlash against the game.

Read his post again, he's just talking about the feel he had with the game, not about his quality, he give him a 9.0.

Laurent

Aquanox said:
You can see 2 PS3 retail Gameplay Video here: (more to come today)

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7602_en.html

Framerate has been improved from the demo but I have noticed some drop downs even with few enemies on screen.

I have the Xbox 360 version of the game and I can say it's performed rock solid so far and also looks quite noticeably better than the PS3 version to my eye, in terms of lightning, colors and overall detail.
There's already a lot of HD gameplay videos of the final retail game (PS3 and X360) on YouTube...

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
shintoki said:
So...you're trolling a game. You haven't played yet, You already canceled your pre order on, and is entirely based off one huge fan's opinion.

Got it. :lol
What, most people who own the game on here are saying it's just horrible, not just cvxfreak.

I think for me, based on what I've seen it's going to be something like this:

RE2 > RE1 > RE3 > RE:CV > RE5 > RE4 > RE0

And that's okay with me. As long as RE5 is better than RE4 and RE0, it will be one of my favorites along with 1, 2, 3, and RE:CV.

Also there's some annoying hyperbole going on in this thread. Please stop. Telling people they'll be disappointed without EITHER person playing it first is just absolutely absurd.

TheCardPlayer said:
What, most people who own the game on here are saying it's just horrible, not just cvxfreak.

See now your taking things outta context. No one said its horrible. Not up to expectations maybe... but horrible. Come on now.

TheCardPlayer

brandonh83 said:
I think for me, based on what I've seen it's going to be something like this:

RE2 > RE1 > RE3 > RE:CV > RE5 > RE4 > RE0

And that's okay with me. As long as RE5 is better than RE4 and RE0, it will be one of my favorites along with 1, 2, 3, and RE:CV.
See, I trust what CVXfreak says. That guy however is just smoking some good shit. RE1, 2 and 3 better than 4? :lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
See now your taking things outta context. No one said its horrible. Not up to expectations maybe... but horrible. Come on now.
The game is new. Wait a few days, and that's when people will just outright admit it sucks. Personally, I always knew it was going to be the case. Just read my post history lol.

See, I trust what CVXfreak says. That guy however is just smoking some good shit. RE1, 2 and 3 better than 4?

I think RE4 is one of the worst games in the franchise. Gameplay wise it's the best, but where I've been playing the series from the get-go, RE is more to me than how good it plays. I really like RE4, but I do not think it's better than the first four games of the series. Some of you will not understand where I'm coming from; it's a videogame and the one with the best gameplay should be the best, right?

Well, wrong. I think FFX-2 has the best gameplay in the Final Fantasy series, and I despise that game and everything it stands for. I have a similar opinion of RE4. Some of you will not be able to comprehend that.

TheCardPlayer

brandonh83 said:
I think RE4 is one of the worst games in the franchise.
I think it's the best game ever made and I was playing RE1 when I was in highschool and made myself a RE out of paper and an old CLUE board for the mansion.

TheCardPlayer said:
I think it's the best game ever made and I was playing RE1 when I was in highschool and made myself a RE out of paper and an old CLUE board for the mansion.

:lol like I said, I like RE4 enough, it has excellent gameplay and some hilarious banter between Leon and Salazar. However, I hate the story, I hate most of the locations save for the village/farm/Regenerator areas, I hated the villains outside of Salazar's funny quips with Leon, I hated... well I hated plenty of it. But there was just enough in the gameplay and lasting appeal departments to not make it a complete waste of my time.

I think it was a grand adventure, I just didn't think it was a good RESIDENT EVIL game.

Laurent

Come on, for having played the demo and watched the footage online, it's obvious this game is better than REØ and RE3! I won't let the opinion of hyper-sensible-fanboys-neogafians come between me and my game... :lol

TheCardPlayer

Don't laugh at my paper RE it rocked pretty hard. I remember one of the bosses was a Alien 3 action figure. :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
TheCardPlayer said:

agree with all this. re4 is the best game in the series, and the first since the original to grab me in such a profound way.

mikamiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Laurent said:
Come on, for having played the demo and watched the footage online, it's obvious this game is better than REØ and RE3! I won't let the opinion of hyper-sensible-fanboys-neogafians come between me and my game... :lol

Definitely will be better than RE0 if you ask me. And RE4. What I've read about the story, it's already better than RE4 in my book. It's probably better than Gaiden and Dead Aim too.

CardPlayer: please, please do not tell me that you just said you're going to cancel your preorder based on cvxfreak's opinion. Look, cvxfreak in my eyes is a great fellow RE fan. But I'll be damned if I don't get the game based on the fact that he didn't like it. Come on, dude. You can't be serious.

I mean if you think you'd rather spend your money on something you KNOW you will enjoy more, that's fine. But if not... I'd recommend that you at least give it a shot.

Laurent

brandonh83 said:
Definitely will be better than RE0 if you ask me. And RE4. What I've read about the story, it's already better than RE4 in my book. It's probably better than Gaiden and Dead Aim too.
The story is more Umbrealla-oriented than RE4, that's for sure. But RE4 was the first new-genre game (which affects my jugement I must say) and is apparently longer (maybe deeper / more twist?), so I am not going to make such a bold statement...

TheCardPlayer

brandonh83 said:
CardPlayer: please, please do not tell me that you just said you're going to cancel your preorder based on cvxfreak's opinion. Look, cvxfreak in my eyes is a great fellow RE fan. But I'll be damned if I don't get the game based on the fact that he didn't like it. Come on, dude. You can't be serious.
Like I said his RE opinion is the same as mine and the man is just the biggest RE fan ever. The series is my favorite ever and RE4 is my favorite game of all time. Spending my money on the worst RE of all time, isn't really something I want to do.

In two weeks when everyone hates the game and is lamenting the loss of their money, I will be the one to laugh.

Laurent said:
The story is more Umbrealla-oriented than RE4, that's for sure. But RE4 was the first new-genre game (which affects my jugement I must say) and is apparently longer (maybe deeper / more twist?), so I am not going to make such a bold statement...

That alone, to me, makes it better. I associate Resident Evil w/zombies, Umbrella, Wesker, and all that goodness. While there's no classic zombies, I have no problem with what they are and they fit in well enough, and compensate for the new gameplay. RE4 means almost nothing to me outside of how fun it is, and its admittedly great setpieces.
In two weeks when everyone hates the game and is lamenting the loss of their money, I will be the one to laugh.

I just think that's a ridiculous thing to say. Not everyone hates it. There are some great impressions in this thread, too. It's not all negative.

brandonh83 said:

Probably? Only the demo it's better than those two games combined together.

Davey Cakes

TheCardPlayer said:
The game is new. Wait a few days, and that's when people will just outright admit it sucks. Personally, I always knew it was going to be the case. Just read my post history lol.
I really think that you're jumping the gun.

If the game "sucks" or even just "isn't that great" when taking hype into consideration, then remove the hype. I think you canceling your preorder was not necessarily a bad idea, since you obviously don't feel it necessary to buy the game upon launch. However, something tells me that, once the hype dies down after a couple of months, you may want to pick the game up and enjoy it for what it is. Who's to say you won't have a blast?

Many games fail to live up to some expectations because of tremendous hype, but a good deal of them are still fine gaming experiences and probably deserve to be played under low-hype conditions. Don't just toss RE5 aside; merely put it on the back burner.

TheCardPlayer said:

Dude that happens with almost every game. EVER.

So that means nothing.

TheCardPlayer

Relaxed Muscle said:
The problem is, when a game is as hyped at this and the best people are able to come up with is: It's better than Dead Aim and Gaiden! It sure as shit doesn't bode well for the game.

Laurent

Relaxed Muscle said:
I don't understand why we should included those in the list. Might as well take into consideration Umbrella Chronicles, both Survivor games, both Outbreak games, The Missions, Confidential Report and Genesis?

TheCardPlayer said:
The problem is, when a game is as hyped at this and the best people are able to come up with is: It's better than Dead Aim and Gaiden! It sure as shit doesn't bode well for the game.

You took that out of context, I was joking. :D

beezelbozo: glad to always have you around, since we pretty much agree on everything. please stay. :lol

TheCardPlayer said:
Like I said his RE opinion is the same as mine and the man is just the biggest RE fan ever. The series is my favorite ever and RE4 is my favorite game of all time. Spending my money on the worst RE of all time, isn't really something I want to do.

:lol

It's far from being the worst RE game of all time. You people and your ridiculous overreactions.

TheCardPlayer said:

Well, people are saying that it's better than RE3 and RE0, that's a pretty nice thing in my book, because RE3 it's one of my favorite RE games.

But I (and everyone who enjoyed the demo) don't really need to know/heard opinions from other people and things like "it's better than RE0!" to know I will enjoy the game.I really don't care what other people say, 12 hours of what I saw of the demo + bosses + cheesy cutscenes+ new locations + co-op + mercenaries mode it's enough to know that I will enjoy this game, and I will play the hell of it.

Damn I even having fun with Dark Sector, which is a rather bland RE4/Gears of War clon

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Videogamer.com did something strange in talking about race, they showed it to one of the UK's cultural anthropologist and guess what: He didn't feel it was racist. Heck, he even found an implicit anti-colonial theme in the game. Really a very interesting article talking about cultural themes in the game. It's a lot more than the simple "Oh Chris Kills Black People, RACIST!!!"

http://www.videogamer.com/news/06-03-2009-10832-1.html

I know some have heard about the issue way too much, but I feel this article and interview presents the situation in a whole new light.
I never thought of Wesker as a mad chemist, never really sunk in for me :lol

That anthro dude is pretty awesome though.

Duck Amuck said:

When they say:

"You can beat it in 10 hours, but that's okay because co-up with friends gives you lots of reason to keep playing!"

I hear:

"If you don't have somebody who wants to play co-op, you can rent it, beat it in a weekend, and save $55."

Seems pretty straightforward.

TheCardPlayer

Pop On Arrival said:
:lol

It's far from being the worst RE game of all time. You people and your ridiculous overreactions.
Whatever. I'll rent the game then just so I can bash it too after having played it. Then again, you are the one using ''bleh'' to describe the game, not me.

I just think people need to go into this new RE5 with a level head. Its going to be fun for sure. Leave your expectations at the door. I'm such a huge RE fan and just checked the tracking of my package and its out for delivery... my blood pressure is rising...im getting excited...BUT I'm going to try to just play it cool! Stay cool. I think its time for a Jill sandwhich!:lol

TheCardPlayer said:
Whatever. I'll rent the game then just so I can bash it too after having played it. Then again, you are the one using ''bleh'' to describe the game, not me.

Dude, your negativity on this post is absurd. Chill. Rent it, come back, and then we can talk.

Davey Cakes

TheCardPlayer said:
You really do sound like you're just trolling the game at this point.

Is this all an act, merely to lower your own expectations and therefore guarantee the game as being a better experience for you?

TheCardPlayer

I can't lower my expectations. RE is my favorite videogame series and RE4 is my favorite game of all time. I expected nothing but the best. And if I can't get that, I'd rather just not play the game at all.

TheCardPlayer said:
I can't lower my expectations. RE is my favorite videogame series and RE4 is my favorite game of all time. I expected nothing but the best. And if I can't get that, I'd rather just not play the game at all.

That right there is wrong! Coming from a long time and hardcore fan of RE, if your as hardcore as you say,you want to experience everything that is RE. RE movies, RE books, RE games. Even if you hear its not "up to par" if your that hardcore RE, you experience it for yourself and then make that call. Not just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist!

p.s. its my favorite series also and you don't see me condemning the game or acting like the world would be a better place if RE5 just wasn't made.

xfactor

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
But the only post game unlockable is Mercenaries and it's already online as IGN fucked that up???

No, its not the only unlockables. You unlock a Wesker document in the library section, costumes, filter mode etc.

If you think you saw all the major stuff already, think again. The documents in the Library section and in-game makes up more than 1/2 of the game plot for RE5. Not only that, but they managed to fill up some of the plot holes and tight up all the games in the series. Its really a treat for all the RE hardcore fans, especially those that feel disappointed by the plot of RE4.

There're even a plot twist or two concerning Wesker which is documented only through the documents. Best plot for a RE game yet imo.

TheCardPlayer

slasher_thrasher21 said:
That right there is wrong! Coming from a long time and hardcore fan of RE, if your as hardcore as you say,you want to experience everything that is RE. RE movies, RE books, RE games. Even if you hear its not "up to par" if your that hardcore RE, you experience it for yourself and then make that call. Not just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist!

p.s. its my favorite series also and you don't see me condemning the game or acting like the world would be a better place if RE5 just wasn't made.
I guess some people can just do that, but you have to realize that for some people, like me, we'd rather just ignore a game than play it and be dissapointed. Why play something that will bring me no enjoyment and might even make me enjoy the series less? After 4 years of wait, I just expected the greatest game ever and for me it was a possibility since no game since RE4 has matched it for me. RE5 was supposed to be that game and it isn't. Heck, even one of the guys defending it here, is saying in his posts how dissapointing it is.

What I am saying is that I care about RE alot. And I love RE4 more than any other games. And if the final game in the franchise is mediocre, I will just ignore it and move on to something else.

xfactor said:
No, its not the only unlockables. You unlock a Wesker document in the library section, costumes, filter mode etc.
Capcom said there would be a patch to play the unlockables online. The only playable unlockable is Mercenaries and it's already online, unlike what IGN said. Unless there will be co-op file reading.

TheCardPlayer said:
I guess some people can just do that, but you have to realize that for some people, like me, we'd rather just ignore a game than play it and be dissapointed. Why play something that will bring me no enjoyment and might even make me enjoy the series less? After 4 years of wait, I just expected the greatest game ever and for me it was a possibility since no game since RE4 has matched it for me. RE5 was supposed to be that game and it isn't. Heck, even one of the guys defending it here, is saying in his posts how dissapointing it is.

What I am saying is that I care about RE alot. And I love RE4 more than any other games. And if the final game in the franchise is mediocre, I will just ignore it and move on to something else.

That is just an extremely odd way of thinking things man. What if you like it just a little bit under RE4? You just dont know. I'm a hardcore fan and its my fav series and I would never let the next iteration of RE pass me by. Even if its not the BEST GAME EVAR!!! I can't see how you can pass up knowing what happens and adds to the overall RE story. Especially since this one has way more to do with the storyline then 4 does.

Think about it! I care about the series alot. Dude I have so much RE goodies in my apartment its not even funny. Yet I could never pass the next game up in the series. Ever.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
completely avoiding the game because of your expectations seems silly.

you'll probably have a better idea of its real quality a year or two down the road, removed from your own self-imposed hype.

TheCardPlayer

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I can't see how you can pass up knowing what happens and adds to the overall RE story. Especially since this one has way more to do with the storyline then 4 does.
Oh that, I watched the live stream so I saw the cutscenes. :lol

TheCardPlayer said:
Oh that, I watched the live stream so I saw the cutscenes. :lol

And you call yourself hardcore fan! Holy shit! No wonder you don't want to buy it then. That should be considered a sin!:lol I saw bits and peices of gameplay but never any cutscenes. I will experience the story on my own and not via a shitty livestream quality vid.:lol

jrricky

Banned
Holy Shit, lots of Resident Evil 5 hate. o_O

I am definitely looking forward to it but I will gamefly first and then keep it if Im seriously enjoying it.

TheCardPlayer

slasher_thrasher21 said:
And you call yourself hardcore fan! Holy shit! No wonder you don't want to buy it then. That should be considered a sin!:lol I saw bits and peices of gameplay but never any cutscenes. I will experience the story on my own and not via a shitty livestream quality vid.:lol
Oh but I had forgotten about Mercenaries. I love Mercenaries. Enough to rent the game just for it.

USD

It's funny to see people freak out about cvxfreak's comments and totally misinterpret them.
cvxfreak said:
I'm on the last boss fight.

RE5 is definitely shorter and less meatier than RE4 as a whole. Imagine cutting out the castle in RE4, and you have RE5's length.

The boss fights are fairly difficult, and it isn't always obvious what you have to do. But I'm having a great time. It's just that I've never ever finished an RE on the first day I've owned it, so I'm a little surprised that I waited so many years to play RE5 only to end up finishing it in a day. :lol
cvxfreak said:
I'll score it after playing every mission in co-op. But the single player experience is clearly above a 9.0 anyway.
cvxfreak said:
In terms of pure experience and ignoring technical and gameplay merit (i.e. the feeling I had as a fan when playing RE5 the first time), it would probably be RECV > RE4 > REmake > RE2 > RE1 > RE3 > RE0 > RE5

In terms of holding up in subsequent playthroughs, without considering RE5, it would probably be something like RE4 > RECVX > RE3 > RE2 > RE0 > RE1 > REmake.

Top Bottom