• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Solo

cvxfreak said:
Gameplay: RE5 > RE4 > REmake > RE3 > RE0 > RECVX > RE2 > RE1

What control scheme did you use for RE5? Ive only dicked around with the demo for a bit, but couldnt find a setting that really worked for me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TheCardPlayer said:
I recently played the game and the water effects made me question if I should finish it. :lol I never viewed it as particularly attractive. But I do think it's got wonderful art and style. The game oozes atmosphere and beauty from it's locations despite the primitive graphics. It's an early last-gen game anyway, so I can forgive that.

I think that the main problem is that CV(X) is pretty much made with the veteran players in mind. I finished it multiple times and I still find it to be the hardest title in the series. Even the puzzles are fairly difficult but if one perseveres, it's one of the most rewarding games in the RE franchise.
Come now, the water was perfectly acceptable for a Dreamcast title. The hardware was not particularly adept at handling water surfaces. They didn't have a lot of choice in how they handled it if they wanted to allow player interaction.

Again, we're talking about a game released over 9 years ago!

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Also hmm whats most peoples view on this. I never really had trouble with CV. RE0 on normal I died though... ALOT. I thought it was one of the harder ones but I only played it twice so maybe I'm imagining things. Though now that I recall the second time was on easy and it was much...easier so. Damn Now im lost.:lol
The problem with RE0 isn't that it's really challenging. But the inventory and item management is so poor that it makes the game harder than it really is. Evading the enemies isn't difficult by itself, but one little mistake and you have to backtrack to get a discarded key item and dodge all the enemies over and over again. It also has poor save points placement.

Code Veronica is legitimately hard. The ammo is very limited, the enemies very resilient, and some encounters are just there to rile you up it seems. The Bandersnatch creatures are always seemingly placed where you will be without healing or ammo. It's not because of poor design though.

dark10x said:
Come now, the water was perfectly acceptable for a Dreamcast title. The hardware was not particularly adept at handling water surfaces. They didn't have a lot of choice in how they handled it if they wanted to allow player interaction.

Again, we're talking about a game released over 9 years ago!
True. But even then I always felt it wasn't a big improvement upon RE3 graphically and RE3 came out literally moments before. But again, I must say that the game's art is beautiful. I still think it has amongst the best locations in the series. Such great looking vistas despite the visual constraints.

TheCardPlayer

And one thing I need to point out. Chances are, a few days after the game's release, I'll probably buy it and continually slobber over it while screaming BEST GAEM EVAR!, knowing me.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
TheCardPlayer said:
And one thing I need to point out. Chances are, a few days after the game's release, I'll probably buy it and continually slobber over it while screaming BEST GAEM EVAR!, knowing me.

After the stream I was ready to be all, "fuck you capcom", but...it's resident evil, so I'll probably be doing the same shit.

Oh now it's not a Resident Evil game? :lol

Resident Evil 5: the game that has generated the largest amount of negative and just plain false hyperbole in gaming history.

Aquanox

DEskofier said:
Hey guys,

just wanted to give you a quick update that we have a huge RE5-gallery online, which compares the 360 and the PS3 version of Resident Evil 5:

360 vs. PS3 comparison gallery

PS3:

395x224.jpg

360:

395x224.jpg

Terrible comparison, most pics don't even look direct feed.

I'll wait for Eurogamer or others with more experience in the subject.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
True. But even then I always felt it wasn't a big improvement upon RE3 graphically and RE3 came out literally moments before. But again, I must say that the game's art is beautiful. I still think it has amongst the best locations in the series. Such great looking vistas despite the visual constraints.
Really? That's pretty surprising to hear. RE3 stuck to typical pre-rendered backgrounds and low poly, pixelated characters. The Dreamcast game featured much more detailed character models along with fully 3D backgrounds. It was a huge visual step forward as it was the first RE game to break free of the pre-rendered backgrounds. It was also able to present its story in a new way thanks to realtime cinemas.

TheCardPlayer

I guess that's the problem for me. The lack of pre-rendered backgrounds. The game was ambitious but maybe too much for it's own good. But then again I prefer ambition to playing it safe. The consoles back then did have the punch it needed to be made it too early in their lifespan. The Outbreak games look much better than Code Veronica.

But I do love the game. It's such a great title.

duckroll

I played all of chapter 1 in splitscreen co-op today when a friend came over. Noticed some weird shit. Aside from a less stable framerate, which was pretty much expected on the PS3, I noticed some weird shit. There were a few points where the game actually seemed to..... lag. For lack of a better term, that's exactly what it felt like, even though it was local splitscreen co-op on the same system with 2 controllers. The most obvious part was when I was dealing with the axe guy from the demo. I was shooting at him, while my partner was off on another area in the map taking on a different bunch of enemies. I started shooting the axe guy in his head, only to notice that he seems to have.... froze. He wasn't just standing still, he was frozen in mid animation completely. After about 3-4 seconds, he suddenly teleported in front of me, and I definitely felt a sudden jump in frames. Weiiird. Other than the weirdness it was pretty fun and playable after getting used to the odd splitscreen setup. Anyone else experienced something similar while playing splitscreen co-op?

Just played with some Japanese girl that was more interested in learning english than actually playing the game. She sounded kinda hot, but I really didn't want to go there...

I think.

mittelos

Thanks for the comments on CVX guys. I'm particularly interested in the Chris/Wesker storyline, so I'm going to head out after work to try to pick up a copy. If I can't find it used, I'll probably just pick up the Essentials collection. I'm excited, I think this will be a great prelude to RE5.

Vyse The Legend said:
Just picked up the US version of RE5 in NYC. Woo.

Awesome sauce. Tell me is there a list of names in the manual from their contest? I ask because my name should be in there. If it is, I'll pm you my name and you can check for me? :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I guess I'm not that huge on the co-op tip, especially with a seemingly linear game such as this. Is there a lot of difficulty levels or something?

MacBosse

TheCardPlayer said:
I watched an entire playthrough of the game and it took about 20 hours to be completed so these reviews are crap.

Why in gods name would you destroy the whole experience by doing that?

I mean, sure, I enjoy watching someone else play a cool game from time to time but that is sitting right next to them and not the whole entire game!

Explain!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So far, so HOLY SHIT. Good game! Although the game basically has you diving right in, (which is a good thing) the story and presentation are better than RE4's. The atmosphere isn't anywhere near as creepy as the old Spanish towns were, but the enemies you encounter definitely are. Especially right in the beginning when you are just walking through town and everyone is staring at you.

The enemies are more aggressive compared to RE4 and don't let up. Got a game over in the first area because Sheva let her dumb ass get killed by the axeman. How do you take down that behemoth, anyway? I could get him to stagger, but he'd get right back up again.

Installed the game on my 360 HD and the load times are zero, by the way. It loads so quickly that you don't even get to see the bits of RE trivia it shows on those screens.

I am reading some complaints that the game is shorter and just goes by quicker than RE4 did, and to expect the length to be like RE4 minus the castle. Something tells me a big part of this are the auto-saves; it seems that the typewriters are gone, and the game will just save at any new area. Makes things quicker when having to start over. It also is apparently more linear and has virtually no backtracking, which is AWESOME. I'd rather have it a bit shorter if it means constant new areas and enemies to fight.

Playing the game with the default controls, but I think I may try out the new scheme, since it allows for strafing. And yes, the knife really does seem to be more powerful than ever before. I had a few of those "beat-em-up" combos going with Sheva; definitely more fun than shooting.

Nizz

So the final retail version of RE5 on PS3 is good to go framerate wise compared to the demo? Sorry if it's been asked and answered already. I love the RE series and I'd like to know that the retail versions of the game are identical on both consoles...

FrankT

whatdidyousay said:
NYC get too. Chinatown baby.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/3333052299_6fa5c220e1.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Nice

[QUOTE=Lyte Edge]So far, so HOLY SHIT. Good game! Although the game basically has you diving right in, (which is a good thing) the story and presentation are better than RE4's. The atmosphere isn't anywhere near as creepy as the old Spanish towns were, but the enemies you encounter definitely are. Especially right in the beginning when you are just walking through town and everyone is staring at you.

The enemies are more aggressive compared to RE4 and don't let up. Got a game over in the first area because Sheva let her dumb ass get killed by the axeman. How do you take down that behemoth, anyway? I could get him to stagger, but he'd get right back up again.

Installed the game on my 360 HD and the load times are zero, by the way. It loads so quickly that you don't even get to see the bits of RE trivia it shows on those screens.

I am reading some complaints that the game is shorter and just goes by quicker than RE4 did, and to expect the length to be like RE4 minus the castle. Something tells me a big part of this are the auto-saves; it seems that the typewriters are gone, and the game will just save at any new area. Makes things quicker when having to start over. It also is apparently more linear and has virtually no backtracking, which is AWESOME. I'd rather have it a bit shorter if it means constant new areas and enemies to fight.

Playing the game with the default controls, but I think I may try out the new scheme, since it allows for strafing. And yes, the knife really does seem to be more powerful than ever before. I had a few of those "beat-em-up" combos going with Sheva; definitely more fun than shooting.[/QUOTE]

So nice to hear about the load times being close to zero.

USD

Lyte Edge said:
Stagger him, then close in, blast him a few times with the shotgun, uppercut, rinse and repeat.

MarkMan said:
Took me 10 hours doing split screen coop with my brother.

Loved the game/experience... I really hope they follow up this game with something more definitive though (story/main character continuity wise).

How was the framerate?

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Awesome sauce. Tell me is there a list of names in the manual from their contest? I ask because my name should be in there. If it is, I'll pm you my name and you can check for me? :D

Nope. No list of names in the manual.

Not that anyone asked for proof, but here you go:

Picture36.jpg

Edit: Magus12000 is my GFaqs handle. They, on the other hand, DID ask for proof. :lol

Facism

MarkMan said:
Took me 10 hours doing split screen coop with my brother.

Loved the game/experience... I really hope they follow up this game with something more definitive though (story/main character continuity wise).

do you have this one PS3? How is the splitscreen framerate? Is it as shit as the demo? I'm flip-flopping on a purchase. splitscreen performance is a major factor for me here, but it's seemingly unanswered despite a bunch of guys here owning the PS3 version -_-

~Kinggi~

Banned
By the time this launches legitimately in the US ill be the last person on GAF to beat it!

Also, those points made about there being auto-saves and no backtracking do seem like good excuses for why the game is short than RE 4. There is probably over an hours worth of backtracking to get to a save point alone in RE 4. Although that also makes the game feel more non-linear.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
USD said:
Stagger him, then close in, blast him a few times with the shotgun, uppercut, rinse and repeat.

I'm talking about the first scene with him in the beginning...don't have a shotgun like in the demo! :lol

FrankT

Facism said:
do you have this one PS3? How is the splitscreen framerate? Is it as shit as the demo? I'm flip-flopping on a purchase. splitscreen performance is a major factor for me here, but it's seemingly unanswered despite a bunch of guys here owning the PS3 version -_-

DR touched on this on the previous page;

duckroll said:
I played all of chapter 1 in splitscreen co-op today when a friend came over. Noticed some weird shit. Aside from a less stable framerate, which was pretty much expected on the PS3, I noticed some weird shit. There were a few points where the game actually seemed to..... lag. For lack of a better term, that's exactly what it felt like, even though it was local splitscreen co-op on the same system with 2 controllers. The most obvious part was when I was dealing with the axe guy from the demo. I was shooting at him, while my partner was off on another area in the map taking on a different bunch of enemies. I started shooting the axe guy in his head, only to notice that he seems to have.... froze. He wasn't just standing still, he was frozen in mid animation completely. After about 3-4 seconds, he suddenly teleported in front of me, and I definitely felt a sudden jump in frames. Weiiird. Other than the weirdness it was pretty fun and playable after getting used to the odd splitscreen setup. Anyone else experienced something similar while playing splitscreen co-op?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I also like to know this
fps fanatic said:
So the final retail version of RE5 on PS3 is good to go framerate wise compared to the demo? Sorry if it's been asked and answered already. I love the RE series and I'd like to know that the retail versions of the game are identical on both consoles...
and this
Facism said:
now that the game is actually out.

Blueblur1

Nikorasu said:
Why is god's name is everyone getting it now?

Oh well. *Plays through RE4 again*
I know! I've been playing tons of RE4 (Wii) instead. It took me two days but I got 5 stars with everyone in 'The Mercenaries' and I'm now playing Separate Ways.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
This is the one game that will pull me away from SF4...aaaand it also CAPCOM. Why dont they just make their own console? lol.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
lol at the massive Pedobear meltdown, followed by the CVX ass kicking.

Thanks for impressions way back Nemesis, and everyone else who has posted them. Can't freaking wait.

Top Bottom