• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Aquanox

As pointed out by the videos, the Xbox 360 has a much more stable framerate than the PS3 version:

IGN said:
Still, there are some small differences worth noting. The PS3 presents more brightly, and this helps to bring out more visual detail in dark areas. In comparison, the blacks in the 360 version tend to wash out some of the finer details. In brightly lit areas, however, the PS3's brightness adds a slight haziness to the image that makes brighter colors look a touch washed out. The PS3 takes a hit in the framerate department, with noticeable dips into the low 20's in some especially hectic scenes. It's also worth noting the PS3 version appears slightly more aliased than the 360 version. You won't see this without looking closely because environments generally have so much polygonal detail that straight lines never stand out. Still, you'll notice a slight jagginess on gun models and some simpler environmental objects in the PS3 version.

I still have the impression that some effects are in the Xbox 360 version that aren't in the PS3. Probably a more in-depth analysis would confirm, but it will only matter for those that really care about details. For most people, the only big difference should be the framerate.

Lightning

Banned
Ok, before I go out and spend my hard earned dollars on this game I need to know if Jill dies or not?

If she does, FUCK CAPCOM. I will not spend my money on this game.

Davey Cakes

Sectus said:
I think the reviewer blows it out of proportion. There's gonna be a lot of items you'll not be able to pick up, this is not a bad thing, it's just how it works with the inventory system, you're not supposed to have a ton of space. It's a shame you can't directly use or combine items lying on the ground, but it's not a huge issue. You're not playing the game right if you don't have space for healing items anyway.

And well, that reviewer definitely didn't play the game right considering he had the AI on cover stance *all* the time.
So all games should be reviewed based the reviewer optimizing all of their options and creating the best possible scenario for them to play in? That is, "playing the game right"?

Sorry, but that's not how it works in the world of video game journalism. Games aren't always judged on the best case.

Lightning said:
Ok, before I go out and spend my hard earned dollars on this game I need to know if Jill dies or not?

She's been in several games already. Why does it matter? She and Chris after RE5 are going to be "old hat" anyway. Their stories have been told.

But to answer your question, I'm damn sure she doesn't die, and I haven't even played the full game.

Risette

A Good Citizen
If the framerate in the PS3 demo didn't bother me, do you think it would in the final game? Public Assembly was pretty hectic IMO, lots of enemies and all that, and as previously stated the framerate there didn't bother me.

Sectus said:
Leaderboards for the campaign tracks completion time of the 6 chapters in all the different difficulties. (in the chapter select screen you can see your completion time and ranks of each sup-chapter)

Thank you!

BTW I guess for campaign it does not distinguish between infinite ammo or no infinite ammo. So basically all the leaderboards will be are for crazy game breaking speed runs, that sucks. I was hoping for classic RE ranking system, you know it tracks times, how many first aid sprays you use, if you use special weapons, how many times you die, etc. That would have been the right way to do it.

Lightning

Banned
Rash said:
She's been in several games already. Why does it matter? She and Chris after RE5 are going to be "old hat" anyway. Their stories have been told.

But to answer your question, I'm damn sure she doesn't die, and I haven't even played the full game.
I will tell you why it matters. I have played every Resident Evil game and Jill is my favorite character in the series by a freakin mile and there are several expendable characters in RE but she should not be one of them. That's why.

Sectus

Lightning said:

Obviously a big spoiler:
She does not die. And she's extremely awesome to play as in mercenaries mode.

Nikorasu

Aquanox said:
As pointed out by the videos, the Xbox 360 has a much more stable framerate than the PS3 version:

I still have the impression that some effects are in the Xbox 360 version that aren't in the PS3. Probably a more in-depth analysis would confirm, but it will only matter for those that really care about details. For most people, the only big difference should be the framerate.

I'm pretty sure that the framerate drops on the ps3 are due to vsync. In the ps3 demo I never noticed any tearing but I see it in almost every video of the 360 version. I'll take a few moments of low fps over constant tearing, personally. But then I'm also getting the pc version whenever that shows up so it doesn't really bother me too much either way.

Sectus

Rash said:
So all games should be reviewed based the reviewer optimizing all of their options and creating the best possible scenario for them to play in? That is, "playing the game right"?

Sorry, but that's not how it works in the world of video game journalism. Games aren't always judged on the best case.
... yes, I expect a reviewer to understand very basic and important gameplay mechanics.

It's like reading what's supposed to be a professional article about chess, but the author doesn't understand basic mechanics like castling or en passant. You couldn't take the author seriously anymore.

DihcarEM

Can someone explain this to me, i've heard that this is supposed to be the last RE. Didn't think there was any truth to this but now i hear on the ign review that this is supposed to wrap up Chris's story.
So is this the last Chris Resident Evil? Cus Leon's story is nowhere near being finished, i'm really hoping that we'll see more sequel RE's.

Erebus

DihcarEM said:
Can someone explain this to me, i've heard that this is supposed to be the last RE. Didn't think there was any truth to this but now i hear on the ign review that this is supposed to wrap up Chris's story.
So is this the last Chris Resident Evil? Cus Leon's story is nowhere near being finished, i'm really hoping that we'll see more sequel RE's.

Relax dude, RE6 has already been confirmed! Plus, Wii is apparently getting a RE game too as Capcom implied.

DihcarEM

DarkUSS said:
Relax dude, RE6 has already been confirmed! Plus, Wii is apparently getting a RE game too as Capcom implied.

Well that's what i thought, no way in hell would Capcom close off one of it's most(if not the most)succesfull series they have.

Nizz

Vyse The Legend said:

Pirates_Of_The_Caribbean_015.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Guled said:
is the
mec mode
coop?
Yep. IGN reported that it was offline co-op only, but there's a patch that is already available that enables online co-op. :)

Christopher

MiamiWesker said:
Are you an IDIOT! I cannot believe you. Someone delete this post.

Sorry if you saw something you didn't wanna see Wesk I know me and you have been trying hard to avoid spoilers, hell just ruin FF 13 for him before it comes out.

Christopher said:
Sorry if you saw something you didn't wanna see Wesk I know me and you have been trying hard to avoid spoilers, hell just ruin FF 13 for him before it comes out.

Whatever its done. The sad thing was that I came into this thread to warn him to not hint to us the answer. I was one post to late, he went on and did it, I wonder if it was intentional or not, I cant believe anyone would be that oblivious to what they were posting.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Sorry to hear you got spoiled :( Once I saw that question I instantly thought "shit, if he posts his reaction that's also a spoiler" and instantly put him on ignore. Is the spoiling post deleted yet?

Fyrus said:
Sorry to hear you got spoiled :( Once I saw that question I instantly thought "shit, if he posts his reaction that's also a spoiler" and instantly put him on ignore. Is the spoiling post deleted yet?

Nope, still there, keep it on ignore. You my friend were smarter than I was.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MiamiWesker said:
Nope, still there, keep it on ignore. You my friend were smarter than I was.
To be totally fair the "spoiler" isn't really much of a spoiler. You'd have to be borderline retarded to not guess it based off of the released media. =p

Davey Cakes

Sectus said:
... yes, I expect a reviewer to understand very basic and important gameplay mechanics.

It's like reading what's supposed to be a professional article about chess, but the author doesn't understand basic mechanics like castling or en passant. You couldn't take the author seriously anymore.
Which is why reviews are garbage and I'm disappointed that so many people here continually look to them for guidance.

Impressions by the gaming communities hold so much more weight than reviews it's not even funny. They are far more meaningful.

ezekial45

Banned
I got a couple of questions:

1. Can anyone confirm if there are more weapons than RE4?
2. Mercs Co-op is ONLINE capable, right?

FrankT

cleveridea said:
IGN comparison...

Presentation

Still, there are some small differences worth noting. The PS3 presents more brightly, and this helps to bring out more visual detail in dark areas. In comparison, the blacks in the 360 version tend to wash out some of the finer details. In brightly lit areas, however, the PS3's brightness adds a slight haziness to the image that makes brighter colors look a touch washed out. The PS3 takes a hit in the framerate department, with noticeable dips into the low 20's in some especially hectic scenes. It's also worth noting the PS3 version appears slightly more aliased than the 360 version. You won't see this without looking closely because environments generally have so much polygonal detail that straight lines never stand out. Still, you'll notice a slight jagginess on gun models and some simpler environmental objects in the PS3 version.

The PS3 version requires a hefty 4.8GB installation that took me upwards of fifteen minutes. Once the game is running, the PS3 version loaded into levels just a second or two more quickly than the 360. The PS3 will have you loaded in from the level select menu in 10-11 seconds while this takes 12-13 seconds on the 360. It's a small difference and shouldn't be an issue either way.

The biggest factor for most hardcore gamers will be the framerate. If you know in advance that framerate drops are an issue for you than the 360 version should be the one to get. Otherwise, both versions look just as good as one another. The 360 gets the win here because of its more stable framerate, but the PS3 version shouldn't be considered inferior by any stretch of the imagination. Both versions look better than almost any other game out there.

The Verdict

Resident Evil 5 is a lavish production and it's clear that Capcom has put a lot of emphasis on delivering an equivalent experience on the PS3 and 360. Both versions are technically polished and have a level of production value that few games can match. With a wealth of modes, bonuses, and unlockables, you'll be getting a terrific product on both the PS3 and 360. There are some small graphical differences that might matter to some hardcore fans. The PS3's framerate is more prone to dips and has some slight aliasing that's not as noticeable on the 360. The 360 loses some detail with its black levels, but, again, the same happens for the PS3 in brightly lit areas.

While I'm hesitant to say that one version is legitimately "better" than the other, I'm going to recommend the 360 over the PS3. The framerate dips on the PS3 weren't an issue for me, but they might be irritating to some hardcore gamers with a trained eye. If you don't care about framerate, both versions are equally good.

Overall
1. Xbox 360
2. PS3

Sounds in-line with what others have stated here as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ezekial45 said:
I got a couple of questions:

1. Can anyone confirm if there are more weapons than RE4?
2. Mercs Co-op is ONLINE capable, right?
Not sure about the first one, although I know that there are new weapons that weren't in RE4, at least. And yes, Mercs has online co-op, as well as offline co-op, AI co-op, and solo (no partner) play. IGN was incorrect, as there is a pre-launch patch which enables online functionality. :)

Rez said:
To be totally fair the "spoiler" isn't really much of a spoiler. You'd have to be borderline retarded to not guess it based off of the released media. =p

Whether a main character lives or dies at the end of the game is in the trailers?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MiamiWesker said:
Whether a main character lives or dies???
Whether or not that character is the game, is what I meant. Their fate is a whole other can of worms, I guess.

Rez said:
Whether or not that character is the game, is what I meant. Their fate is a whole other can of worms, I guess.

I assume that is what the question was, whether someone lives or dies at the end of the game.

EDIT: In fact just lie to me and tell me it wasn't about that, that way I will still have doubts about what I think is said until the very end. :p

xfactor

Banned
I'll be updating the blog with the files documented in the library section. These files are not the same as those found in-game.

Needless to say, they contain very major spoilers. There are 12 files in total, and I will be doing from the last to the first. I've gotten Wesker and Excella's file up. I am typing Jill's document now.

http://re5spoilers.wordpress.com/

cvxfreak

This latest post is going to be regarding the STYLE of the plot. but tread lightly:

Is it just me or did the final moments of the plot suddenly become a retread of the basic plot of Gun Survivor 4, where a terrorist (Morpheus, Wesker) threatens to nuke the world with a toxin? We even get to play the game on a ship, with environments that sort of reminded me of some of the parts of the Spencer Rain from GS4.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MiamiWesker said:
I assume that is what the question was, whether someone lives or dies at the end of the game.

EDIT: In fact just lie to me and tell me it wasn't about that, that way I will still have doubts about what I think is said until the very end. :p
I haven't actually read any spoilers. :D

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
cvxfreak said:
This latest post is going to be regarding the STYLE of the plot. but tread lightly:

Is it just me or did the final moments of the plot suddenly become a retread of the basic plot of Gun Survivor 4, where a terrorist (Morpheus, Wesker) threatens to nuke the world with a toxin? We even get to play the game on a ship, with environments that sort of reminded me of some of the parts of the Spencer Rain from GS4.

lol it totally reminded me of that too!

GuardianE said:
The list of names should be in the credits.... last few pages of the manual. Could you please confirm that there are no names from the contest (should be 100) because if not, I have to write an angry message to Capcom right now.

Any updates on this? I'm supposed to be in the manual/or credits myself. Anyone have a answer?

cvxfreak said:

I read it, and I have a question:
do you actually get to run around in an aircraft? like any exploration on an airborne vehicle?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Any updates on this? I'm supposed to be in the manual/or credits myself. Anyone have a answer?

Vyse said there was nothing in the manual.

Sectus

Oh... my... god. I just unlocked the rest of the stages in mercenaries and the playable characters.

Unf is all I can say.

cvxfreak

brandonh83 said:
I read it, and I have a question:
do you actually get to run around in an aircraft? like any exploration on an airborne vehicle?

Very briefly, but you don't get to run around in it freely. It's slightly reminiscent of CV's plane boss battle, but with a different twist.

AkuMifune

Banned
Chapter 2-3 represents everything I hate about this game in one 5 minute section. Hopefully that's the end of crap like that.

Otherwise I'm having a blast and can't wait to get back into it.

It's just like the vehicle section in Uncharted, but with inexplicably exploding zombies on motorcycles. I literally feel dumber having played that section.

cvxfreak said:
Very briefly, but you don't get to run around in it freely. It's slightly reminiscent of CV's plane boss battle, but with a different twist.

So it's nothing at all like what was shown in that
first-build RE4 screenshot with Leon on the blimp looking airship? I was kinda hoping for that to come back
:lol

bigswords

I like Chris, he's a real man's man, solidly built like a tank.

Hmmm I like RE5 after getting used to the stop and pop mechanic, I'll still whine about the fact that they should allow you to at least walk while aiming. The game is absolute awesome when played with a friend co-op, the AI Sheva is decent, but a real human being watching your back and trading with you ammo and stuff brings a tear to my eye.

Just a question if you play co-op as Sheva does your equipment (upgrades and such) bring over to the single player?

Edit: Damn Sheva's ass is really hot...

Top Bottom