• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

BTW this thread has been a mess since CVX impressions, jeesh guys. CVX thanks for your impressions. Gameplay being better than RE4 is pretty bold statement, does it seriously have the same level of pacing and varied situations as RE4.

I finally got to see CVX's trophies, according to the time in the trophies it took him over 10hours to finish. The average time spent on the chapters were 40 minutes. Some lasted an hour, one of them lasted only 15 minutes.

Volcynika

MiamiWesker said:
BTW this thread has been a mess since CVX impressions, jeesh guys. CVX thanks for your impressions. Gameplay being better than RE4 is pretty bold statement, does it seriously have the same level of pacing and varied situations as RE4.

I finally got to see CVX's trophies, according to the time in the trophies it took him over 1hours to finish. The average time spent on the chapters were 40 minutes. Some lasted an hour, one of them lasted only 15 minutes.

Only over 1 hour?

(Sorry :p )

Nemesis_

For those wondering, I'm playing on Veteran mode and I wouldn't consider myself a bad player by any stretch.

I'm up to 3-1 and it's taken me roughly 6 hours total. The game itself says a much lower number but I am assuming that it doesn't count my time spent dying and retrying.

A further note: Veteran mode IS the way to play. So many more enemies, axe man almost RUNS at you and it's just on the whole a lot more tense and it does create a bigger sense of fear - more so than RE4 did. Because of this, I'm finding this game rather hard to be honest.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Vyse The Legend said:
Nope. No list of names in the manual.

Not that anyone asked for proof, but here you go:

Picture36.jpg

Edit: Magus12000 is my GFaqs handle. They, on the other hand, DID ask for proof. :lol

The list of names should be in the credits.... last few pages of the manual. Could you please confirm that there are no names from the contest (should be 100) because if not, I have to write an angry message to Capcom right now.

Daigoro

TheCardPlayer said:
And one thing I need to point out. Chances are, a few days after the game's release, I'll probably buy it and continually slobber over it while screaming BEST GAEM EVAR!, knowing me.

after two pages of misconceived ranting you come out with this shit? do us all a favor a shut the fuck up until you play the game.

Pop On Arrival said:
Just played with some Japanese girl that was more interested in learning english than actually playing the game. She sounded kinda hot, but I really didn't want to go there...

I think.

sure you do. ;)

by "there" you meant Japan, right?

GuardianE said:
The list of names should be in the credits.... last few pages of the manual. Could you please confirm that there are no names from the contest (should be 100) because if not, I have to write an angry message to Capcom right now.

I can 100% confirm that there is no list of names for winners. Better start writing that angry letter.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Vyse The Legend said:
I can 100% confirm that there is no list of names for winners. Better start writing that angry letter.

That's absolutely and terribly depressing. Thanks. Would you mind posting a pic of the manual credits so I can post it on Capcom's forums?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an option when you finish the game to totally turn off the HUD, like in some of the promo videos?

That'd be awesome.

EDIT: Oh I read the US review, I didnt even know that was up.

Eh didn't care for that UK review. They spend the first few paragraphs acting like RE4 doesn't exist. Instead they talk about how RE5 is a huge departure from traditional RE games and that might be a shock... uh RE4 already changed that, the formula is now RE4 style.

They also talk about the controls as if RE4 didn't exist, acting like not moving and shooting is something shocking.

Plus they got the no online Mercenaries co-op wrong and seem to take away points for that. But it probably wasn't their fault since the patch was not up.

Its a fine review, just focused on stuff I find trivial, I wanted to hear more about RE5 and not how its different from RE games of 7 years ago.

Sectus

Hmm, well, I'm a bit confused. IGN claimed the mercenaries mode doesn't have online coop. I saw several people on forums claim the same thing. And after completing the game again with my japanese friend I decide to try mercenaries more, and I noticed that there are options for system link and xbox live (alongside splitscreen and solo (by the way, solo is really solo, no partner at all)). So yeah, there's working online coop for mercenaries mode. And it's an insane amount of fun.

Volcynika

Sectus said:
Hmm, well, I'm a bit confused. IGN claimed the mercenaries mode doesn't have online coop. I saw several people on forums claim the same thing. And after completing the game again with my japanese friend I decide to try mercenaries more, and I noticed that there are options for system link and xbox live (alongside splitscreen and solo (by the way, solo is really solo, no partner at all)). So yeah, there's working online coop for mercenaries mode. And it's an insane amount of fun.

I love Mercenaries so much, can't wait to play it with friends. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Both reviews are very positive, and can be summed up as "great game, but it won't wow you as much as RE4 did".

edit: The patch you downloaded when you started RE5? That added online co-op to Mercenaries. ;)

-Winnie-

Is the game going to be censored in any countries? I found it strange that I never actually got decapitated in the demo by the chainsaw guy. He just kind of cuts you up and you fall over.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone who has finished the game watch the video review and tell me whether or not there are any significant spoilers? ;)

Sectus

-Winnie- said:
Is the game going to be censored in any countries? I found it strange that I never actually got decapitated in the demo by the chainsaw guy. He just kind of cuts you up and you fall over.
I've got the Japanese version, which does not feature any decapitations (well, except for the enemies, their heads will still explode). But well, I noticed my main menu still says Resident Evil 5 instead of Biohazard 5. I tried random language settings and I was surprised to see there's full support for something like French. This is making me believe that all the different regional versions of the game might actually be identical.

Anyone who's able to get an english version of the game, does that feature decapitations? I think I personally prefer it being censored, I've never been a big fan of extreme blood and gore in gaming. But I'm curious if I am truly playing a censored version, or if it's like this for all versions of the game.

cvxfreak

Well, I won't be playing RE5 on 360 until next week when the red Elite hits because my Japanese unit just RROD'd. :lol

FU Microsoft! :D

You know what, the lowest scoring review, the AU one, I feel is easily the best one. It talks about RE5 from the perspective I want to view it from. I dont want to hear how its different from old RE, or how the controls are not like every other damn game on the planet, I want to hear what it does to be as good a game as RE4 was. The AU review explains that, and basically says its not as good cause you've done this all before and co-op on single player suffers a bit.

This paragraph explains very well some of the issues that can come up with the real time inventory:

Another minor frustration is that Sheva won't use any other weapon but her pistol until she's run out of pistol ammo. (MY EDIT: Not true, if you put her in attack she will pull out her best weapon and use it) This means that if you're fighting a boss and you want her to unleash some serious firepower, you'll have to steal her pistol ammo to force her to switch to something useful. It's also a pain in the arse when there's something good to collect and both your inventories are full (and with only nine slots each this happens often). When you're full, you need to permanently discard an item to pick it up. That's right. There's no way to consume a health item you need without permanently discarding some ammo or another item first. Normally you'll have the better items yourself and you'll want to discard one of Sheva's items but there's no way to do this directly. You have to get her to swap one of her items for yours, discard her item, take your original item back and then finally she can pick up the new item. As you can imagine, this is particularly infuriating when you have to perform it all to pick up a much-needed heath herb in the middle of a boss fight (remember, item management is now performed in real-time). A simple "use" option added to the usual pick-up option for items on the ground would have solved this problem.

USD

Vyse The Legend said:
No decapitations in the US version. I just got my head cut off, and they show Chris' body for a split second then nothing.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Lame.

Sectus

cvxfreak said:
Well, I won't be playing RE5 on 360 until next week when the red Elite hits because my Japanese unit just RROD'd. :lol

FU Microsoft! :D
Do you have a non-japanese 360 too? Because the japanese version is regionfree (which I believe all RE5 versions are).

Rez said:
Can someone who has finished the game watch the video review and tell me whether or not there are any significant spoilers? ;)
No story spoilers, but they show MANY different areas and enemies of the game. So if you want that to be kept a secret, you might wanna skip the video review.

Vyse The Legend said:
No decapitations in the US version. I just got my head cut off, and they show Chris' body for a split second then nothing.
Ah, alright. I personally don't mind, but I can imagine a bunch of people will be disappointed by that.

cvxfreak

Sectus said:
Do you have a non-japanese 360 too? Because the japanese version is regionfree (which I believe all RE5 versions are).

I already traded it into GameStop towards the Elite. $25 trade-in bonus sealed the deal for me. So I can't enjoy the 360 version until U.S. launch... which is fine. The PS3 version is more than competent.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks Sectus. Do you know whether or not what I asked earlier (whether or not the option to play through HUDless, like in the Capcom promo vids, after you beat the game once) is in the game?

USD

I'm not expecting it, but hope there are a lot of different ways to die like in RE4 (not that I'll ever be seeing the game over screen or anything). Even if there are, they probably won't be as awesome since it looks like Capcom's holding back this time around.

~Kinggi~

Banned
IGN US review might've given it another point since they seem to be mistaken

RE5 has a slick look and feel, but there are some usability issues. Split-screen is confusing to use, menus can be somewhat cumbersome and loading is abundant. No Mercenaries online? Really?

it has online, capcom patched it yesterday before it even released.

Sectus

Rez said:
Thanks Sectus. Do you know whether or not what I asked earlier (whether or not the option to play through HUDless, like in the Capcom promo vids, after you beat the game once) is in the game?
I can't see the option. There are still stuff I haven't unlocked in the game, so there is a small chance that's one of the unlockables. I kinda doubt it though.

USD said:
I'm not expecting it, but hope there are a lot of different ways to die like in RE4 (not that I'll ever be seeing the game over screen or anything). Even if there are, they probably won't be as awesome since it looks like Capcom's holding back this time around.
There's still a fair amount of different game over sequences. None of them are gory, but just about all of them look very brutal.

Davey Cakes

MiamiWesker said:
Another minor frustration is that Sheva won't use any other weapon but her pistol until she's run out of pistol ammo. (MY EDIT: Not true, if you put her in attack she will pull out her best weapon and use it) This means that if you're fighting a boss and you want her to unleash some serious firepower, you'll have to steal her pistol ammo to force her to switch to something useful. It's also a pain in the arse when there's something good to collect and both your inventories are full (and with only nine slots each this happens often). When you're full, you need to permanently discard an item to pick it up. That's right. There's no way to consume a health item you need without permanently discarding some ammo or another item first. Normally you'll have the better items yourself and you'll want to discard one of Sheva's items but there's no way to do this directly. You have to get her to swap one of her items for yours, discard her item, take your original item back and then finally she can pick up the new item. As you can imagine, this is particularly infuriating when you have to perform it all to pick up a much-needed heath herb in the middle of a boss fight (remember, item management is now performed in real-time). A simple "use" option added to the usual pick-up option for items on the ground would have solved this problem.
Wow, that seems like a real "miss" on Capcom's part. I knew that the real-time inventory wouldn't come without some issues such as this.

Found the store in Southern Cali that is selling it today.

They have 20 PS3 and 15 Xbox 360 versions, not including any CE versions I believe.

PM me if you want to know the name and link to proof. I'm leaving now to get it so when I get back I'll let you know.

IGN comparison...

Presentation

Still, there are some small differences worth noting. The PS3 presents more brightly, and this helps to bring out more visual detail in dark areas. In comparison, the blacks in the 360 version tend to wash out some of the finer details. In brightly lit areas, however, the PS3's brightness adds a slight haziness to the image that makes brighter colors look a touch washed out. The PS3 takes a hit in the framerate department, with noticeable dips into the low 20's in some especially hectic scenes. It's also worth noting the PS3 version appears slightly more aliased than the 360 version. You won't see this without looking closely because environments generally have so much polygonal detail that straight lines never stand out. Still, you'll notice a slight jagginess on gun models and some simpler environmental objects in the PS3 version.

The PS3 version requires a hefty 4.8GB installation that took me upwards of fifteen minutes. Once the game is running, the PS3 version loaded into levels just a second or two more quickly than the 360. The PS3 will have you loaded in from the level select menu in 10-11 seconds while this takes 12-13 seconds on the 360. It's a small difference and shouldn't be an issue either way.

The biggest factor for most hardcore gamers will be the framerate. If you know in advance that framerate drops are an issue for you than the 360 version should be the one to get. Otherwise, both versions look just as good as one another. The 360 gets the win here because of its more stable framerate, but the PS3 version shouldn't be considered inferior by any stretch of the imagination. Both versions look better than almost any other game out there.

The Verdict

Resident Evil 5 is a lavish production and it's clear that Capcom has put a lot of emphasis on delivering an equivalent experience on the PS3 and 360. Both versions are technically polished and have a level of production value that few games can match. With a wealth of modes, bonuses, and unlockables, you'll be getting a terrific product on both the PS3 and 360. There are some small graphical differences that might matter to some hardcore fans. The PS3's framerate is more prone to dips and has some slight aliasing that's not as noticeable on the 360. The 360 loses some detail with its black levels, but, again, the same happens for the PS3 in brightly lit areas.

While I'm hesitant to say that one version is legitimately "better" than the other, I'm going to recommend the 360 over the PS3. The framerate dips on the PS3 weren't an issue for me, but they might be irritating to some hardcore gamers with a trained eye. If you don't care about framerate, both versions are equally good.

Overall
1. Xbox 360
2. PS3

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
MiamiWesker said:

This seems like sort of a fail on Capcom's part. Did the just overlook this or did they want to make it semi-frustrating?

Sectus

MiamiWesker said:
Are the leaderboards working? What does it track? How does the games ranking system work?
Leaderboards for the campaign tracks completion time of the 6 chapters in all the different difficulties. (in the chapter select screen you can see your completion time and ranks of each sup-chapter)

For mercenaries it tracks the score for each level in duo mode (either online, lan or splitscreen) and solo mode.

zombieshavebrains said:
This seems like sort of a fail on Capcom's part. Did the just overlook this or did they want to make it semi-frustrating?
I think the reviewer blows it out of proportion. There's gonna be a lot of items you'll not be able to pick up, this is not a bad thing, it's just how it works with the inventory system, you're not supposed to have a ton of space. It's a shame you can't directly use or combine items lying on the ground, but it's not a huge issue. You're not playing the game right if you don't have space for healing items anyway.

And well, that reviewer definitely didn't play the game right considering he had the AI on cover stance *all* the time.

Erebus

cleveridea said:
IGN comparison...

Presentation

Still, there are some small differences worth noting. The PS3 presents more brightly, and this helps to bring out more visual detail in dark areas. In comparison, the blacks in the 360 version tend to wash out some of the finer details. In brightly lit areas, however, the PS3's brightness adds a slight haziness to the image that makes brighter colors look a touch washed out. The PS3 takes a hit in the framerate department, with noticeable dips into the low 20's in some especially hectic scenes. It's also worth noting the PS3 version appears slightly more aliased than the 360 version. You won't see this without looking closely because environments generally have so much polygonal detail that straight lines never stand out. Still, you'll notice a slight jagginess on gun models and some simpler environmental objects in the PS3 version.

The PS3 version requires a hefty 4.8GB installation that took me upwards of fifteen minutes. Once the game is running, the PS3 version loaded into levels just a second or two more quickly than the 360. The PS3 will have you loaded in from the level select menu in 10-11 seconds while this takes 12-13 seconds on the 360. It's a small difference and shouldn't be an issue either way.

The biggest factor for most hardcore gamers will be the framerate. If you know in advance that framerate drops are an issue for you than the 360 version should be the one to get. Otherwise, both versions look just as good as one another. The 360 gets the win here because of its more stable framerate, but the PS3 version shouldn't be considered inferior by any stretch of the imagination. Both versions look better than almost any other game out there.

The Verdict

Resident Evil 5 is a lavish production and it's clear that Capcom has put a lot of emphasis on delivering an equivalent experience on the PS3 and 360. Both versions are technically polished and have a level of production value that few games can match. With a wealth of modes, bonuses, and unlockables, you'll be getting a terrific product on both the PS3 and 360. There are some small graphical differences that might matter to some hardcore fans. The PS3's framerate is more prone to dips and has some slight aliasing that's not as noticeable on the 360. The 360 loses some detail with its black levels, but, again, the same happens for the PS3 in brightly lit areas.

While I'm hesitant to say that one version is legitimately "better" than the other, I'm going to recommend the 360 over the PS3. The framerate dips on the PS3 weren't an issue for me, but they might be irritating to some hardcore gamers with a trained eye. If you don't care about framerate, both versions are equally good.

Overall
1. Xbox 360
2. PS3

Is this taken from IGN's insider comparison?

Sounds about right to me. Both version are identical but 360 has a slight edge in frame rate.

Top Bottom