• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

cvxfreak

TheCardPlayer said:
Seriously, aren't they the same dumbasses that tried to spark the racism debate? I didn't expect any less from them.

I wasn't offended by the racism debate, but I remember when the reviewer of RE4 Wii had made his judgment after playing RE4 Wii for 2 or 3 hours at a Nintendo booth. That was so pathetic.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What the fuck is "resi" or "res5." Who calls it this? Is this a Euro thing? Am I going to have to go over there?

Christopher

TheCardPlayer said:
Seriously, aren't they the same dumbasses that tried to spark the racism debate? I didn't expect any less from them.

They were just going with the flow. Have you not seen as many equally stupid people on this very board making the same claims??

and why is chris suddenly a body builder?

part of what made RE4 work so well (out of many parts) was that leon had a subtle fragility to him, like he was just barely on top of things. he was sick through much of the game and he wasn't a body builder. he was a very compelling main character.

while I can't wait to play RE5, the body building hero, gears of war, bad boys angle to the series has me so worried.

nib95

Banned
Black_Mamba said:
A 7/10 because it dares to offer something new and not the horror setting that they expect from the series? Ok, it's an opinion, but this is... stupid.

Weird how you took that from it. Reading the review I got that the low score was because it didn't dare to offer enough new, and in many ways had actually been dumbed down from it's predecessor (less exploration, puzzles etc).

nib95 said:
Weird how you took that from it. Reading the review I got that the low score was because it didn't dare to offer enough new, and in many ways had actually been dumbed down from it's predecessor (less exploration, puzzles etc).

They mean RE4? Because RE4 had like one puzzle, a 2 second puzzle to be more exactly. And exploration? lol

Nikorasu

HorribleJames said:

part of what made RE4 work so well (out of many parts) was that leon had a subtle fragility to him, like he was just barely on top of things. he was sick through much of the game and he wasn't a body builder. he was a very compelling main character.

while I can't wait to play RE5, the body building hero, gears of war, bad boys angle to the series has me so worried.

Saddler, you're small time!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
HorribleJames said:

lol, are you sure you remember RE4 all that well?

Leon was infected, but never showed an ounce of weakness. His cavalier, macho attitude was a shining example of the American Action Hero. Capcom just used that same template for Chris, using his punches instead of kicks.

He was always on top of things through strokes of luck and his own skill with a gun/kick. In reality, he was dumb as bricks.

cvxfreak

I actually think RE4 Leon looks relatively weak compared to the overpowered rendition of him in Degeneration...
Degeneration Leon could totally kill Wesker by himself, I swear!

Nikorasu

GuardianE said:

Leon was infected, but never showed an ounce of weakness. His cavalier, macho attitude was a shining example of the American Action Hero. Capcom just used that same template for Chris, using his punches instead of kicks.

He was always on top of things through strokes of luck and his own skill with a gun/kick. In reality, he was dumb as bricks.

I find it amusing that the original voice direction for leon in 4 was "more brawn than brains" but ada calls him "practically a genius" in her report.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
This is true; they downsized the puzzle element massively in RE4. For the record, the one it did offer kept me swapping tiles for about half an hour, but it did seem out of place. Maybe it's best they concentrate on just the more action-orientated gameplay elements for this one.

When/if they choose to go back to RE's roots, I'll definitely expect that puzzle element back though. It meshed nicely with the slower pace and tone of RE1-3, and reinforced that air of mystery.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nikorasu said:
I find it amusing that the original voice direction for leon in 4 was "more brawn than brains" but ada calls him "practically a genius" in her report.

I remember the moment I listened to that part of Ada's Report. I looked at my friend, who was watching me play, and we rolled our eyes.

"Insects' life doesn't compare to human lives!"

Christ, Leon. At least speak in proper English.

cvxfreak

Cataferal said:
This is true; they downsized the puzzle element massively in RE4. For the record, the one it did offer kept me swapping tiles for about half an hour, but it did seem out of place. Maybe it's best they concentrate on just the more action-orientated gameplay elements for this one.

When/if they choose to go back to RE's roots, I'll definitely expect that puzzle element back though. It meshed nicely with the slower pace and tone of RE1-3.

In the Japanese and I guess PAL versions of the game on certain difficulties, that puzzle actually came in the chapter that played out with the traditional RE camera angles... seemed like a homage chapter. Too bad North American gamers never got that little tid bit.

nib95 said:

I do think RE5 offers very little original ideas, but if there's one aspect where it dares to change is the setting. Maybe I didn't get it right, but the reviewer's main complaint was the depart from horror to more action/daylight african setting.

Nikorasu

Cataferal said:

When/if they choose to go back to RE's roots, I'll definitely expect that puzzle element back though. It meshed nicely with the slower pace and tone of RE1-3, and reinforced that air of mystery.

Yeah, the arbitrary symbol/tile puzzles in 4 were kind of jarring, but hell not much in that game made much sense... That giant mechanical statue comes to mind. RE4 did have plenty of "down-time" and backtracking...I guess you could call that exploration. In the more action-oriented direction the series is taking I think a heavier emphasis on environmental puzzles should be a bigger focus.

VALKYRAY

Banned
GuardianE said:
I remember the moment I listened to that part of Ada's Report. I looked at my friend, who was watching me play, and we rolled our eyes.

maybe it was "insect's life doesn't compare to human's"

cvxfreak

GuardianE said:

:lol All the non-natives in RE4 spoke better English than Leon.

cvxfreak

K' Dash said:
What? that's the only way I could kill him, I ran out of ammo and money and tried the knife and saw the
command to grab him when I was stabbing him, you can kill him with weapons, really?

You can, but I hear it takes a long time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
VALKYRAY said:
maybe it was "insect's life doesn't compare to human's"

I know we'd all like to think that, but no.

After watching that scene the first time, I went back and watched it again to be sure. He actually says that. It's written that way, too.

And let's be honest. Even if he did say it correctly in English, it was still an abysmally stupid retort.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That Eurogamer review was fantasticly written. I don't get what all the bitching is about. They justify everything, and actually make good points.

I'm so sick of people looking at a score and then bitching. That was a great review compared to the trashy IGN one.

BrandNew said:
What are you talking about? Have you played RE4 lately?

How many puzzles has RE4? really, and I don't mean find X key or activate Switch X to open door.The only one who it's really a puzzle is the one you find in the laboratory before the first encounter with the regenerator, and exploration? only finding blue medals and some of the treasures everything was linear as hell, but RE5 has too medals and stuff to search, so that Eurogamer statement it's clearly wrong.

Edit: I forgot about the Church puzzle, that make 2 puzzles.

The only thing I'd agree from the review is that Mikami successfully bridged old school Resident Evil with the new gameplay implementations with his RE4. Obviously RE4 didn't have that many puzzles, but atmospherically and through it's level design felt like an adventure game on steroids.

RE5 on the other hand seems to be more of a straight up shooter than an adventure game.

Kristen Reed strikes me as a person who admired the old school RE games, thereby not being as warming to RE5. It's the nature of the beast, if a reviewer didn't like the old type of RE play he'll obviously give RE5 a better score, if not -- then expect these 8 and 7's.

Personally the hell with RE5, I just want a next-gen Resident Evil Outbreak File 3 on xbox live.

Ridley327

Relaxed Muscle said:
How many puzzles has RE4? really, and I don't mean find X key or activate Switch X to open door.The only one who it's really a puzzle is the one you find in the laboratory before the first encounter with the regenerator, and exploration? only finding blue medals and some of the treasures everything was linear as hell, but RE5 has too medals and stuff to search, so that Eurogamer statement it's clearly wrong.

Let's see here...

-the dial puzzle behind the church for the green cat's eye
-the light puzzle in the church itself
-the portrait puzzle in the castle
-Ashley's slide puzzle

Sure, there's less of them compared to other games, but there were definitely more than one puzzle that fits your criteria.

VALKYRAY

Banned
shinji mikami is Behind RE5 after all.

1236557324002.jpg

Blueblur1

Relaxed Muscle said:

There's a simple puzzle outside and inside the village church, there's a puzzle in the castle after the caged El Garrador room and the puzzle you mentioned. I may have missed one or two.

Edit: The two Ashley puzzles!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Resident Evil 4 had hardly any puzzles. Everything was force fed to you the entire game. It was always a matter of picking up a key or flipping enough switches. It never got more complicated than that (except with Ashley).

The game itself was fairly linear. There was some backtracking, but other than that, you knew what you needed to do. Remember that there was a map with a destination marker? Exactly the same thing Eurogamer complains about for RE5? Yeah, you never get lost. But the fact that it was linear made it all the more impressive just how long the game actually was (and with so much variety).

The review has its faults. It seems to forget what Resident Evil 4 was (brilliant atmosphere and pacing aside). The reviewer makes his/her prejudices known very clearly. "This is where Resident Evil has gone." and continues to establish some "saving graces."

Ridley327 said:
Let's see here...

-the dial puzzle behind the church for the green cat's eye
-the light puzzle in the church itself
-the portrait puzzle in the castle
-Ashley's slide puzzle

Sure, there's less of them compared to other games, but there were definitely more than one puzzle that fits your criteria.

I'm willing to bet that most people here forgot about them. That's how forgettable and easy those puzzles were. They were just thrown in there to help RE purists make a transition to a game that's more action oriented.

Laurent

GuardianE said:

I don't understand how REmake Chris != RE5 Chris... I can "understand" that he build himself up, but did he got facial surgery as well?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There's also one on the Island just before the first Regenerator, it's a computer terminal with coloured arrows that you have to flip so that there's a path from the beginning to the end, similar to pipe dream, but it takes all of five seconds so it's easy to forget. I actually was shocked to see it when I did another run through of RE4 recently, and I've played that game A LOT.

AkuMifune

Banned
cvxfreak said:
You can, but I hear it takes a long time.

I tried for a LONG time, after going through all my saved ammo. If you can, it must take some serious firepower.

Speaking of not a long time, the top of the leaderboard has someone who went through Normal in an hour and a half. That can't be possible.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Laurent said:
I don't understand how REmake Chris != RE5 Chris... I can "understand" that he build himself up, but did he got facial surgery as well?

I think you're just taking the consistency of the characters too seriously. Chris Redfield from REmake was an ugly, generic man. Capcom wanted to make him look like an alpha male action hero, so they changed him.

Graphical differences aside, Leon from RE2 did not look much like Leon from RE4. They bulked him up a little for effect.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GuardianE said:
I think you're just taking the consistency of the characters too seriously. Chris Redfield from REmake was ugly. Capcom wanted to make him look like an alpha male action hero.
Let's not forget that REmake Chris looked nothing like CV Chris either. Chris looks totally different in every game he is in. :lol

HorribleJames said:

Leon was an invincible cartoon character

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Rez said:
Let's not forget that REmake Chris looked nothing like CV Chris either. Chris looks totally different in every game he is in. :lol

Hah, yeah. But I think part of the problem is that Chris Redfield is such a generic boyscout character that he's interchangeable with any male soldier/officer. That much is obvious in the REmake, but even in Cvx, he's forgettable when put next to the well developed Claire. I feel like Capcom's trying to give him some more identity in this game... and biceps.

DihcarEM

cvxfreak said:
I actually think RE4 Leon looks relatively weak compared to the overpowered rendition of him in Degeneration...

RE4 Leon matched Degeneration Leon in almost everyway except perhaps outward attitude but that can be simply explained by all the shit he's been trough. It's bound to make any person more cold. In terms of power Leon does more then enough performances in RE4 that can rival what he does in the movie. You take away all the gameplay which is dependant on the player's skillz and you get a pretty damm powerful Leon.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DihcarEM said:
RE4 Leon matched Degeneration Leon in almost everyway except perhaps outward attitude but that can be simply explained by all the shit he's been trough. It's bound to make any person more cold. In terms of power Leon does more then enough performances in RE4 that can rival what he does in the movie. You take away all the gameplay which is dependant on the player's skillz and you get a pretty damm powerful Leon.

Yeah, we shouldn't forget that Leon killed almost every person on an island populated with monsters. By himself (and Ada and Mike). That's ridiculous.

He made less snarky comments and didn't crack jokes at all in RE: Degeneration, and that kind of upset me. That was part of what made him a fun character... laughing at the stupid stuff that came out of his mouth.

Nikorasu

HorribleJames said:

I have to respond to this once more. He isn't suddenly a body builder. It's been 10 years since RE1/CV. He obviously knew he had his work cut out for him after that and started training hardcore.

MoogPaul

Do we have an actually unbiased comparison between the playstation 3 and xbox versions yet? I really don't care which version I get.

DihcarEM

GuardianE said:
Yeah, we shouldn't forget that Leon killed almost every person on an island populated with monsters. By himself (and Ada and Mike). That's ridiculous.

He made less snarky comments and didn't crack jokes at all in RE: Degeneration, and that kind of upset me. That was part of what made him a fun character... laughing at the stupid stuff that came out of his mouth.

Not to mention some very big monsters.

I liked that he was more serious in the movie and at times i found him unintentionally funny.
This change also helps to differ Leon and Chris who character-wise seem too much a like for my taste in the past.

aparisi2274

So I picked the game up today in Manhattan, and I have to say so far it's an 'OK' game.

I mean the controls definitely leave something to be desired. It really is like controlling a tank (god how I hope RE6 uses some form of control lik Gears of War).

I am playing on 'Normal' mode and I just saved at the start of Chapter 2-1. The graphics are great, and I like the setting the game is in. Although the game so far is not very scary, it definitely has a lot of survival aspects.

I think right now, after about a 2.5hr play session, my biggest gripe with the game is Sheva. She is a decent AI character, but there are times where she will just NOT get out of my way, and it causes me to get my ass whooped by some enemy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MoogPaul said:
Do we have an actually unbiased comparison between the playstation 3 and xbox versions yet? I really don't care which version I get.
The Xbox 360 version is the version which, if you have the choice, performs marginally better. Both versions are pretty much the same, though.

That's all there is to it. :)

Guled said:
to those who have a copy, what dose the dark void ad in the case say? Seth hinted at something special on it

There are two of them, a one-sheet and one inside the manual. Both don't say anything of worth other than "Coming 2009".

Top Bottom