• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

cvxfreak

Lyte Edge said:
Is there really anyone out there who doesn't know who the last boss is?

I made the thread rule such that you can spoil the game after Japanese release.... but that wasn't a good idea in retrospect. :p

Proc

Ah my bad. I thought I remembered hearing something like this at microsoft's press conference a while back. I'm glad to hear that this is not the case and I have just a bad memory : )

Proc

Rez said:
Jesus, the lighting in this game is amazing.

It really is. I can't believe Shane and company just wrote this game off from their initial impressions. I cannot wait for this game to land. My game-boner is strong with this one.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Rez said:
pfft.

zodiac signs.

Aries :p

Seriously, that tile puzzle STILL gives me hell after playing RE4 countless times. Now I just say fuck it & gamefaq it, I need my wits sharp for what follows :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Vyse The Legend said:
5-2 enemy spoilers:
WTF at the enemies having AK-47s. I'm going to have to stop depending on my shotgun diplomacy. :lol

a decent sniper rifle works wonders, the enemies are completely oblivious to you from a distance so you can easily get in a few head shots before they start charging.

Laurent

Rez said:
Jesus, the lighting in this game is amazing.
I agree! For those that thought RE4 aged well, the lighting contrast between both games really shows the graphic evolution of this current generation...

Well, it didn't take me long to find an exploit in the saving system to give you a shit ton of ammo quickly.

Edit: This also works for money too. I said 'wow'. QA people need to be fired. :lol

Lyte Edge said:
Is there really anyone out there who doesn't know who the last boss is?

Right, which is why I dont want to know is if he
DIES
. Which is by far the most important thing going into this game. So yeah, people really need to chose their words carefully.

adamsapple

Vyse The Legend said:
Well, it didn't take me long to find an exploit in the saving system to give you a shit ton of ammo quickly.

Edit: This also works for money too. I said 'wow'. QA people need to be fired. :lol

the save system in the game is ridiculously forgiving, you can basically keep playing amateur mode to unlock infinite ammo guns and collect a fuck-ton of aid sprays and what hav eyou then use those items to beat veteran ..

chandoog said:
the save system in the game is ridiculously forgiving, you can basically keep playing amateur mode to unlock infinite ammo guns and collect a fuck-ton of aid sprays and what hav eyou then use those items to beat veteran ..

That is true, but that, at least, requires some effort. This exploit, on the other hand, is basically good old-fashion item duplicating. :lol I can't believe this got by them.

MiamiWesker said:
Right, which is why I dont want to know is if he
DIES
. Which is by far the most important thing going into this game. So yeah, people really need to chose their words carefully.
"he"? nooo

Nemesis_

Just got my e-Capcom edition. :D

For those interested, the BIOHAZARD 5 disc will load the save that I made from my Resident Evil 5 (Asia) disc. No words on whether or not either of these NTSC-J copies will work with an NTSC-U or PAL copy's save data....yet

Will get confirmation as soon as I can.

Also, for those achievement whoes, putting in the BIOHAZARD disc will still appear on your title as the localised name. =P

consoul

My e-Capcom PS3 LE just touched down.
Came with a leather Tricell wallet, as well as all the stuff in the box. Artbook is nice, though it contains creature designs that are a bit spoilerific. I just had a quick flick through. Will take a better look when I've completed the game.
2d8p579.jpg

*edit* Oh snapz Nemesis556!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Now that's a limited edition. 0_0

Tomorrow better hurry up.

Nemesis_

Has anyone noticed that the text on Chris' left arm BSAA patch is actually backwards? Looks like they forgot to mirror the text as well =P

Excella Gionne is my favouritest villain in the series besides Wesker so far - just watching over the cutscenes and thought I had to say that. =P
Shame she died though, really wasn't expecting that at all - probably the biggest surprise for me. The fact that they've been pushing TriCell so much in the advertising and that it's been plastered all over my various limited editions makes me wonder why they killed her off. That bein said, I realise there are more divisions but the African Division really had a lot more "to do with" Umbrella than I imagine the others would. Heck, Excella was the one who rose them to prominence thanks to that stuff she got from Wesker

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
PLEASE, any help on Mercenaries mode? I am having trouble racking up 40,000 points on the larger stages. "Stuck" on the
ancient ruins
level, currently using
"safari"
Chris.

Nemesis556 said:
Just got my e-Capcom edition. :D

For those interested, the BIOHAZARD 5 disc will load the save that I made from my Resident Evil 5 (Asia) disc. No words on whether or not either of these NTSC-J copies will work with an NTSC-U or PAL copy's save data....yet

Will get confirmation as soon as I can.

Also, for those achievement whoes, putting in the BIOHAZARD disc will still appear on your title as the localised name. =P

Yeah, it's weird-- I have the Asian version. Packaging says "Resident Evil 5," as does the manual, although the slipcover is reversible and has the Japanese "Biohazard 5" artwork as well.

When I put the disc in my machine, it says "Resident Evil 5" on the dashboard. But when it gets to the title screen, it says "Biohazard 5." :lol

GuardianE said:
Wow. I like how they reference Sheva's supposed "British" accent. Dimwits.

Haven't they ever heard a South African accent?

The rest of the review was drivel.

It definitely sounds British at points... I've spent quite alot of time in SA...they should have made her accent a like how some of the 'coloureds' speak in Cape Town, awesome accent

senahorse

nelsonroyale said:
It definitely sounds British at points... I've spent quite alot of time in SA...they should have made her accent a like how some of the 'coloureds' speak in Cape Town, awesome accent

I am amazed people still speak like this, as I was always under the impression anything from white to black was a colour...

Nemesis_

Lyte Edge said:
PLEASE, any help on Mercenaries mode? I am having trouble racking up 40,000 points on the larger stages. "Stuck" on the
ancient ruins
level, currently using
"safari"
Chris.
Trying it on single or duo mode? I'll be happy to do some co-op over LIVE with you, it's much much easier that way =) Send me a FR if interested.
Yeah, it's weird-- I have the Asian version. Packaging says "Resident Evil 5," as does the manual, although the slipcover is reversible and has the Japanese "Biohazard 5" artwork as well.

When I put the disc in my machine, it says "Resident Evil 5" on the dashboard. But when it gets to the title screen, it says "Biohazard 5." :lol
My title screen says Resident Evil 5. Is your console from Japan / Gamertag based in Japan? I'm really interested as to how they work out which title screen to display =P

cvxfreak

I think the game's language depends on your system settings.

I find that a bit disappointing because eventually I want to play Biohazard 5 in Japanese as a language learning tool.

adamsapple

cvxfreak said:
I think the game's language depends on your system settings.

I find that a bit disappointing because eventually I want to play Biohazard 5 in Japanese as a language learning tool.

have you tried changing the region setting from your 360 menu ?

cvxfreak

chandoog said:
have you tried changing the region setting from your 360 menu ?

I can do that, and probably will at some point. It just would've been nice to change the language in the settings menu. :p

Sectus

Rez said:
That Eurogamer review was fantasticly written. I don't get what all the bitching is about. They justify everything, and actually make good points.

I'm so sick of people looking at a score and then bitching. That was a great review compared to the trashy IGN one.
Hmm, I dunno. I find it a little bit hard to take them seriously when they write stuff like "With a skilled friend in tow, it's one of the best co-op shooters I've played - at least if you dare to crank up the challenge." but spend rest of the review hating on it. If it's one of the best coop expereinces of all time, they should have dedicated at least one paragraph explaining why.

And they spent half of the review complaining about how RE5 is so similar to RE4. Which is one complaint I really can't comprehend. Call of Duty 4 was very similar to the previous games, why didn't they complain about that? Gears 2 was extremely similar to Gears 1, why didn't they complain about that? Every JRPG has been identical for 20 years, why haven't they been complaining about that? Getting *one* more game similar to an excellent unique game just doesn't seem bad at all for me.

I also dislike that they praise the one thing I hate in the game, the imbalanced inventory system, especially the infinite weapons. I used infinite weapons a bit yesterday when hunting for the last emblems, and it becomes so pathetically easy it's no longer any fun. It breaks every difficulty. I'm just glad they at least made a toggle for it, I'm keeping infinite weapons off for good.

And of course, they do one final obvious mistake in their review (but hey, all reviewers do this mistake so they can't be blamed), they put no effort into explaining how the netcode or lag is in the game. RE5 has to be the best netcode for a coop game so far. I actually played the game from beginning to end with a ping of around 400-500, and it felt flawless.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough Sectus, I haven't played the game so I can't really comment. I'm getting the game tomorrow (it's 9:20PM at the moment here, so that means very, very soon), and I only have classes until about 1pm tomorrow, so I'll be able to throw my two cents into the discussion relatively soon. :)

Sectus

I got a bunch of Mercenaries playthroughs captured in high quality here. Most of the scores I got were A or S so this might be helpful for anyone who's trying to get good enough scores to unlock rest of the stages/characters. (also very obvious spoilers of many different areas, enemies, weapons and playable characters)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJXZycoSlxQ&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucuEHKL3PCc&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEVaVBZrKMU&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K04Fu7ErTHY&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qXcM27INTQ&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8EeZQatGZ8&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt7QlrJG9h4&fmt=22

GrayFoxPL

Are the any impressions of the full game from someone who thought the demo was POS and laughed the game of calling it Resident Evil 4.5?

I would like to relate.

Amir0x

Banned
cvxfreak said:
That's a different man who happens to share the same name.

That Shinji Mikami was also in Outbreak.

I bet regular Shinji Mikami would pass stone glances over to Outbreak Shinji Mikami, in disgust at the sullying of his name.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
I bet regular Shinji Mikami would pass stone glances over to Outbreak Shinji Mikami, in disgust at the sullying of his name.

If Capcom were smart, they'd have him direct RE6 to see how many people they fool. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GrayFoxPL said:
Are the any impressions of the full game from someone who thought the demo was POS and laughed the game of calling it Resident Evil 4.5?

I would like to relate.
I haven't played the game, but look at it logically. It's RE4, with a co-op partner, in Africa, with slightly adjusted typical RE controls.

You'd know whether or not the game is worth it to you based off of that description. Plus there's the whole Mercenaries mode which is apparently excellent.

Sectus

GrayFoxPL said:

I would like to relate.
I doubt anyone who found the demo to be awful cares about going through any trouble to try to get the game early or even on release date.

Although I did show the game to a friend who hates most console games, hated RE4, hated the RE5 demo and he thought the full game of RE5 looked dumb. Does that count? :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
9/10 from Video Gamer.

What makes Resident Evil 5 so much fun to play is the way it's impossible to know what's coming next. You start off in a seriously atmospheric African town, complete with villagers, but you're soon off to an oil refinery, a pitch-black mine, a secret bunker, a yacht and more. Tie these environments to some breathtaking set-piece encounters and you'll be looking back on your time with the game and reminiscing about certain moments just as many people do with Resident Evil 4. There are some spectacular on-rails sections too, and superbly directly QTEs that never make you wish they were traditional gameplay elements.
Puzzles, which have been a staple part of the series, occur infrequently and of those only one needed a bit of out of the box thinking. Resi 5 feels more like an action game than any game in the series, with a lot of cover-based shooting, loads of machine gun carrying enemies and a definite industrial feel. As spectacular as this action packed gameplay is, there's no doubt that Resi 5 is missing something that made the previous game so special. Whether it was the relationship between lead man Leon and the hopeless Ashley, the forever amusing tradesman or the outrageous boss encounters, Capcom's latest just can't quite match it.

This one is for you GrayFox:
Don't let that rather disappointing comparison to Resident Evil 4 fool you. Coming second to one of the best games of our generation is nothing to be sniffed at, and Resident Evil 5 is still a game that does the series proud. With a whole heap of content to unlock, including the brilliant Mercenaries mode (playable cooperatively off and online), a campaign that begs to be replayed and top of the line production values there's very little to be disappointed with. If you've read all that and the first thing in your mind is "but you can't move and shoot?" this isn't for you, but everyone else should grab a friend and enter the world of not quite so much survival horror.

GrayFoxPL

Sectus said:
I doubt anyone who found the demo to be awful cares about going through any trouble to try to get the game early or even on release date.

Although I did show the game to a friend who hates most console games, hated RE4, hated the RE5 demo and he thought the full game of RE5 looked dumb. Does that count? :p

Yeah, I have the same doubt, but maybe someone did and they changed their mind based on it.

It hurts inside that I think the demo of the latest game in the series I love felt like a turd.

Your friend doesn't help. I love RE, I liked REIV even thou I think it shouldn't belong to the main series as it's not survival horror anymore and the challenge was tonned down for new gamers or those that hated old RE's. But I really liked it as an action game. But the RE5 demo was a major turnoff. And after reading more impressions it really starting to show to me like some kind of awfull casual, non re-fan fanservice hybrid. Like Re been McDonalds'ied. That's what I feared the most.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GrayFoxPL said:
Wrong. I was the first who burned in his mind all the assholes that wanted gears controls.
Okay, fair enough.

Do I need to play mercenaries alone to get the unlockables, or is it fine just jumping into random co-op games? I haven't unlocked a single character yet. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I look forward to dropping in to random people's games as Sheva and just randomly playing whatever section they are, and helping them out if they need it. The replay value is just going to be insane, for me.

Sectus

Pop On Arrival said:
Do I need to play mercenaries alone to get the unlockables, or is it fine just jumping into random co-op games? I haven't unlocked a single character yet. :(
You need A ranks to unlock the characters. You can do that in singleplayer or coop.

Top Bottom