• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

duckroll said:
It's exactly as it is in the demo. The element is still in where the chiansaw guy WILL kill you in a single hit if he revs up the chainsaw and attacks and you don't get out of the way. The visual presentation is toned down though, in that you see the chainsaw going at Chris' neck, but the camera will pan down to his legs before the head is cut off, and you see the body collapse lifelessly after that.

they don't show it because it's unrealistic, there's no way a chainsaw could cut through that neck.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
duckroll said:
It's exactly as it is in the demo. The element is still in where the chiansaw guy WILL kill you in a single hit if he revs up the chainsaw and attacks and you don't get out of the way. The visual presentation is toned down though, in that you see the chainsaw going at Chris' neck, but the camera will pan down to his legs before the head is cut off, and you see the body collapse lifelessly after that.
That's kind of a shame, I loved the gruesome deaths from RE4. Oh well.

duckroll

brandonh83 said:
they don't show it because it's unrealistic, there's no way a chainsaw could cut through that neck.

His neck actually isn't THAT thick. What would be unrealistic would be if Chris blocked with his arms and the chainsaw still killed him. Hell, his arms look like they could probably stop bullets if he just bothered to shield himself with them. :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
~Kinggi~ said:
even to the unlocked difficulty mode?

i personally haven't unlocked professional yet, but i ended on normal first, and then used an infinite ammo weapon i got out of the points to finish amateur once, now i'm playing through veteran with the same infinite ammo weapons.

i'd guess yeah, since the game keeps a single "item profile" through out the difficulties.

~Kinggi~

Banned
chandoog said:
i personally haven't unlocked professional yet, but i ended on normal first, and then used an infinite ammo weapon i got out of the points to finish amateur once, now i'm playing through veteran with the same infinite ammo weapons.

i'd guess yeah, since the game keeps a single "item profile" through out the difficulties.
Professional is only unlocked when you beat Veteran? If so ill just play through veteran first time and then use my weapons to beat that.

adamsapple

Professional is only unlocked when you beat Veteran? If so ill just play through veteran first time and then use my weapons to beat that.

yep, gotta beat all the levels on veteren to unlock it.

Aquanox

brandonh83 said:
More pics please Aqua. :D

They might complain about washed out digi cam shots, but you have an audience with me!
I have one more. Unfortunatelly, the only way to really appreciate the lighting is on your tv.

Imagen%20019.jpg

eso76

Aquanox said:
What an awesome looking game:

Imagen%20014.jpg

Character detail rivals Gears 2 in many cases.

after playing gow2 and re5 demo on a projector at 120something inches i think RE5 destroys gears 2 in every respect. IQ being the most evident.

USD

Is there why to turn infinite ammo off (other than not buying the last upgrade)? And is there a way to start a completely new game, sans upgrades and money? Do both players have to play on the same difficulty?

gantz85

Banned
Aquanox said:
I have one more. Unfortunatelly, the only way to really appreciate the lighting is on your tv.

Imagen%20019.jpg

Careful, we don't want people to start complaining that it's really just a corridor shooter with pretty skyboxes that you can't explore.

:lol:lol:lol

Cannot wait to play this :D

dallow_bg

nods at old men
~Kinggi~ said:
there are still some framerate issues in the ps3 version. 360 version was given the edge by IGN.
But all the effects are there now right?
I don't mind some slight framerate stuff.

duckroll said:
His neck actually isn't THAT thick. What would be unrealistic would be if Chris blocked with his arms and the chainsaw still killed him. Hell, his arms look like they could probably stop bullets if he just bothered to shield himself with them. :lol

Yeah it was originally going to be an arm joke =p

Christopher: I don't know if you saw my posts about it but I watched part of a boss battle later in the game with some of the best boss music I've ever heard. It was simply awesome.

HOW CAN I GET THE SOUNDTRACK

Aquanox

dallow_bg said:
But all the effects are there now right?
I don't mind some slight framerate stuff.

The problem with framerate issues is that they tend to appear in the most intense scenes, like Boss Battles (which are stellar in this game)

If you have both consoles you should absolutely get the Xbox 360 version.

adamsapple

USD said:
Is there why to turn infinite ammo off (other than not buying the last upgrade)? And is there a way to start a completely new game, sans upgrades and money? Do both players have to play on the same difficulty?

yeah ..

you can choose to turn infinite ammo weapons on/off from the "Special settings", the option becomes unlocked after beating the game once. you can also turn it off right before starting a chapter using level select. (the screen where you choose "Rogue" and hit detection options etc.

Christopher said:
how is the music guys??

I found the music when the bosses arrived in the demo to be awesome.

pretty awesome. I have to say the music was the most surprisingly good thing about the game for me, the sound track is superb. Some of the near-end boss battle themes are epic. You may have heard one or two of them during the trailers.

i love the "espionage, action" style theme that plays when your fighting
the bat boss

duckroll

Christopher said:
how is the music guys??

I found the music when the bosses arrived in the demo to be awesome.

Very good. If you liked what you heard in the demo, you won't be disappointed at all in the final game. The score for cutscenes is pretty strong, while the gameplay themes work really well with the action.

duckroll

brandonh83 said:
How is the in-between music, like exploration/atmosphere? Anything reminiscent from the older games, like RE2?

Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsZ9z04Kbts&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V09VyfD8QpI&feature=related

Well, if that's the particular type of music you're looking for probably not. The soundtrack is similar to RE4's, with both games moving towards a more big budget action movie sort of score. As such, due to the places the game, a lot of the music draws from cultural elements (setting wise) and tension/suspense (gemeplay wise). I can't really say RE5 is about exploration at all, since the game really drives you main along a single path and your obstacles are mostly to shoot enemies to kill them. There are a few good suspenseful/high tension tracks and some mysterious atmosphere tracks too, but they don't really dwell on such themes for long.

adamsapple

considering the kind of game RE5 is, using the older spookier sound track just wouldn't fit. The OST for the game is great the way it is

duckroll said:
Well, if that's the particular type of music you're looking for probably not. The soundtrack is similar to RE4's, with both games moving towards a more big budget action movie sort of score. As such, due to the places the game, a lot of the music draws from cultural elements (setting wise) and tension/suspense (gemeplay wise). I can't really say RE5 is about exploration at all, since the game really drives you main along a single path and your obstacles are mostly to shoot enemies to kill them. There are a few good suspenseful/high tension tracks and some mysterious atmosphere tracks too, but they don't really dwell on such themes for long.

That's cool. I prefer different soundtracks to have their own voice anyway. Drawing from cultural aspects is good. But what about the music in the
underground lab areas?

I love Resident Evil 2 "Marshalling Yard" <3

That's actually my favorite atmospheric track in the game. It's awesome.

Kweh said:
So...do I need to finish RE4 before playing this?

There's a virus in RE4 called Las Plagas. Wesker sends Ada to go get a sample of it. There, I just told you everything you might need to know to prepare for RE5.

Otherwise, RE4 is a great game so you should play it regardless.

Aquanox

Kweh said:
So...do I need to finish RE4 before playing this?

You'll probably enjoy this one more if you didn't play RE4.

I see people whinning "RE4 this" and "RE4 that" while I, new in the series, am enjoying the game a damn lot.

You should probably watch the RE Degeneration movie to see a bit what the general story is about.

Yeah RE4 is the game that got people to need Resident Evil games to suddenly become Lord of the Rings epics and suddenly can't settle for less than 20+ hours.

duckroll

Aquanox said:
You'll probably enjoy this one more if you didn't play RE4.

I see people whinning "RE4 this" and "RE4 that" while I, new in the series, am enjoying the game a damn lot.

I dunno. I loved RE4, and while this clearly isn't as good in certain aspects, I found it a hell lot of fun too. The bosses are really good in RE5, and I can't imagine anyone who liked RE4 actually -disliking- RE5.

You should probably watch the RE Degeneration movie to see a bit what the general story is about.

.....Wut? :(

brandonh83 said:
Yeah RE4 is the game that got people to need Resident Evil games to suddenly become Lord of the Rings epics and suddenly can't settle for less than 20+ hours.

And which control scheme it's awesome in just that game. Any other game RE or not who uses the same controls just sucks.

Edit: How many people has the game already? Now I know how an emo feels inside. Crawwwwling in my skiiiiinn

duckroll said:
Don't worry, you don't have to face the fear alone. Jtyettis is facing it with you. :lol

It's still fear I can't forget.

And which control scheme it's awesome in just that game. Any other game RE or not who uses the same controls just sucks.

Yeah, RE1, RE2, RE3, Code Veronica all had the same control style sans small tweaks here and there but no one complained until RE4 came out with a new gameplay structure and just ONE GAME after that kept that style.

Utterly baffling.

brandonh83 said:
That's cool. I prefer different soundtracks to have their own voice anyway. Drawing from cultural aspects is good. But what about the music in the
underground lab areas?

That's actually my favorite atmospheric track in the game. It's awesome.
I was about to say "more than RE2 RCPD Music" then I listened it it again... Damn I love the "beep-boop" part.

Finished the game. Best ingame cutscenes ever (including MGS4). However RE5 has some flaws. Sheva's AI for example is annoying as hell in chapters 5 and 6.

RE5 has been fun but it wasn't the uber experience I was hoping for.

Oh god yes that Neptune track is fantastic too. Honestly, it's not my #1 RE game, but RE1 is definitely the closest to pure horror that the series has ever been. It's been a sort of transformation toward epic action horror, RE2 carried over the creepy atmosphere from RE1, but had bigger action sequences. RE3 had the scary-as-hell Nemesis, and it also had creepy atmosphere, but the gameplay was tighter and there was more action than in RE2. Code Veronica had more horror elements to it than RE3 but it was even more epic in narrative.

Then RE4 came out and was about 30 hours longer than the prior games and was full of epic setpieces and weapon-carrying zombies. And now, with RE5 there's an even bigger emphasis on action, but if you ask me they have most certainly not cleaned out the horror aspects. While it may be a different style of horror, it's still horror. I think the series has progressed nicely from pure horror to action-horror over time. I don't have a problem with that.

I do prefer classic horror, but in my mind I've made Silent Hill my horror franchise of choice, and Resident Evil my monster-action horror franchise of choice. RE5 is still horror, just a different type of. I think a film that the development team may have taken inspiration from is a Lucio Fulci film, Zombi. It took place in a similar setting as RE5, albeit on a tropical island, but the first screens and trailer of RE5 reminded me heavily of that film. If they took inspiration from that film, it wouldn't be the first time. In the film, they confront a zombie shark. Just saying.

Plus, stuff like tribal villages and evil shamans and witch doctors always just creeped me the hell out. I hope RE5 has elements like that in it.

confirmation for me on that aspect, duckroll? anyone? any creepy voodoo/witch doctor like stuff in RE5?

Christopher

Lakitu said:
Yup... it was unbelievable, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSWd-uxQ9X0

Also, a very close second is the entire Neptune Tank segment from the Remake, especially the part with this brilliant atmospheric number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55huF7Y_LdQ

How I miss those older ones :(

Good selections.

Espically the Neptune music, I thought it was also intense when you thought he was coming for you and the music got all jaws like :lol

Although Resident Evil 3 has the best credits music in the Resident Evil series, followed by Resident Evil REmake.

Ganondorfo

Christopher said:
Good selections.

Espically the Neptune music, I thought it was also intense when you thought he was coming for you and the music got all jaws like :lol

Although Resident Evil 3 has the best credits music in the Resident Evil series, followed by Resident Evil REmake.

This track needs to be played in resident evil 5 at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlINcEvj2nA

it's from resident evil 2.

newsguy

How is the game running on both systems? I want to pick this up for my PS3 if possible because I want to give the 360 a rest. Will I be able to tell the difference (I played the demo on 360)?

Top Bottom